What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nectarineman

What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Nectarineman »

Since frugality seems to be a way of life, what did you do today that was frugal?

As for me, worked out at the gym, but shaved and took an extra long shower there to save on my utilities.

:D
Doom&Gloom

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Doom&Gloom »

On Christmas Eve? LOL
Topic Author
Nectarineman

Post by Nectarineman »

Didn’t think about the timing, but yes, pretty funny! :sharebeer
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Nectarineman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:05 am Since frugality seems to be a way of life, what did you do today that was frugal?

As for me, worked out at the gym, but shaved and took an extra long shower there to save on my utilities.

Frugal?!? You lost me at went to the gym.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Made breakfast for ourselves instead of going out.
We're going to make up for that and more at the steak house tonight though!!
Yesterday I did replace our outdoor light fixtures myself.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

Nectarineman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:05 am Since frugality seems to be a way of life, what did you do today that was frugal?

The gym will pass that cost along in the form of increasing your gym membership dues. If you have locked in your membership dues, then they will cut a corner somewhere else to make up for that money. This may be in the form of not replacing aging equipment. I wouldn't consider the extra long shower "frugal", perhaps "wasteful."
dpc

Post by dpc »

I didn't buy a new car today (again).
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers
iskey

Post by iskey »

I've been in bed sick for three days (flu) so I have spent $0.00 over that time period. My wife has made up for it though.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Being frugal should extend beyond your personal world. Maybe to resource use. So to take a longer shower purposely at the gym is not frugal at all. Frugal is about money but also about waste of a resource when it is not necessary. You don't do things because you can, you do them because you should.
I had to shower at the gym for too long a time this summer due to a too long bathroom redo.
When I saw others just standing there under the water for long after the showering part was over, I thought of them as wasters. I thought that at home they probably spent beyond their means. No thought to the future. Theirs or the planet.
There were teens there from the swim team standing under the shower from before I started unit after I left the locker room. You think they were taught frugality?
Maybe my definition of frugal eclipses the norm. But that is one way of looking at it.
Spending money unnecessarily, spending resources unnecessarily. Sound like one and the same.
sambb

Post by sambb »

its all relative. i drove my regular import car to work, instead of a more exotic option. Also had water at lunch instead of a soda. But could have saved more by not buying a sports car or not going out to lunch. I choose to live a little. Its all relative.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Well, I did not take a bath or shave, nor did I use gas to go to a gym! Whose more frugal?
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
B3GINN3R

Post by B3GINN3R »

I park d an extra 10 minute walk from the theater to save 10 bucks
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Nada as this is not the time of year for frugality. This season, I followed my budget, which isn't all that frugal.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

This is yesterday but got an unsolicited mail from a charity with a dime and a penny affixed. Peeled those off and put them in my coin jar.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

I bought 2 Amazon Dots on sale for $30 each today and saved TWICE as much! :D
TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 »

Ate leftover joejoes from going out for lunch at work. (In breakfast eggs)
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

Spent less than $20 at WalMart to buy some free weights to work out at home with. Saves on gym expense, and the time and gas driving there.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Yesterday, I was doing some last minute shopping. I bought my son a nice UA shirt which was regularly priced at $69.99. These shirts are rarely on sale and usually excluded from coupons. It was on sale for $39.99. I used 2 sale coupons for $20 off and paid $19.99 plus tax. I got 2 $10 off coupons when I paid. So I figured the net cost was $1.99 plus tax. Did I pay too much?
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Today I spent 1 hour cleaning our pool. Just like I have been doing for the last 14 years. So there's that.

Yesterday I went to the nearby thrift store looking for a second crock-pot. i had one that died over the summer. Found a nice Rival for $3.50. Used it last night for a test, and will use tomorrow for chicken broth. Pretty happy about it too.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I shovled snow from the walk today instead of giving the kid across the street $5. Of course I'm paying for it with a little back pain, but I kept the $5!
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Shoveled snow yesterday. Win win. No kid, no gym.

Big score was that I went to the bird store yesterday and for $4 per they had silver foil streamers about 8" long suspended from suction cups to go on windows to prevent birds from flying into them. We lose a few birds each year to this as we have glass panels on part of our deck. I figured come on, $4 plus tax. Made my own since we had all the Christmas stuff out. Foil wrapping paper, duct tape at the top (like the ones at the store) pierced and then hooked on a suction cup. Cha-ching!
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
spectec

Post by spectec »

Today the wife and I came home after church and ate leftovers from yesterday's family Christmas gathering, rather than going to a restaurant for lunch. Saved about $40 or so, and the food was more tasty & nutritious.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I used a $1 coupon to buy milk at Kroger. Could not buy it yesterday as the coupon starts today.
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

BogleBoogie wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:44 am I wouldn't consider the extra long shower "frugal", perhaps "wasteful."
Long showers are fantastic!

A long shower for me is typically about one hour.

Very relaxing. And cheap too- the cost of the water and gas to heat the water is small relative to the enjoyment.

Certainly not wasteful in my view.
Funding secured
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

I didn't run out and buy my child the "one last gift" that he started talking about last night. Part of me wanted to though :oops:
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Since healthcare expense dwarfs everything else in my budget...I ate a healthy breakfast. I plan to also exercise today, and eat healthy lunch and dinners.
annielouise

Post by annielouise »

Umm, reused gift tags that I made years ago.

Cleaning, doing laundry, and not spending any money. That's a standard Christmas Eve in our house.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Is this the Bogleheads forum? I think I'm reading the Mr Money Mustache forum...
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Not today.
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

Put another book on hold at the library instead of buying it from Amazon.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

My avatar may be the Grinch but even I know this is the season of generosity not frugality. Being a Boglehead for me opens up opportunities for generosity and is not so much about being frugal. Merry Christmas to All. Of course, watching the Bengals win has made me all giddy.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
basspond

Post by basspond »

For about 20% of one ticket to an NFL game, took family of four to a high school state championship game yesterday.
investing1012

Post by investing1012 »

BogleBoogie wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:44 am

The gym will pass that cost along in the form of increasing your gym membership dues. If you have locked in your membership dues, then they will cut a corner somewhere else to make up for that money. This may be in the form of not replacing aging equipment. I wouldn't consider the extra long shower "frugal", perhaps "wasteful."
I disagree, since the cost will be passed on to the hundreds of members and he’ll likely see no effect or a tiny fraction of his frugality. While if he takes a shower at his house he’ll see a higher water bill at his house.
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

Made french toast at home for family instead of going out to breakfast. Then rode bike to the store instead of driving.
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

DanMahowny wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:00 pm
BogleBoogie wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:44 am I wouldn't consider the extra long shower "frugal", perhaps "wasteful."
Long showers are fantastic!

A long shower for me is typically about one hour.

Very relaxing. And cheap too- the cost of the water and gas to heat the water is small relative to the enjoyment.

Certainly not wasteful in my view.
I suppose it is a matter of opinion on this one. The one hour shower you speak of amounts to about 600 gallons of water. 600 gallons of water to clean one person, one day, one time feels wasteful and unnecessary to me. For you, it is wonderful.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

Alexa9 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:31 am

Frugal?!? You lost me at went to the gym.
Actually, I would count a gym membership as an excellent investment in your health, so I would consider it being frugal. Compare the cost of going to the gym to the cost of getting stents placed in your coronary arteries every five years and then having bypass surgery after the third stent.

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make: frugality is relative, it's all in the eye of the beholder. My wife used to read a blog by a woman who preached that you should wash out all your plastic bags and save those little wire things that hold the bread bag closed. Turns out this woman had SIX CHILDREN. After I heard that, I stopped washing out my plastic bags.
Plymouth56

Post by Plymouth56 »

For the last minute run around shopping today drove my Nissan Leaf instead of my ICE car.
While at the local Hy Vee supermarket charged my Leaf there for free. :D
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

investing1012 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:50 pm

I disagree, since the cost will be passed on to the hundreds of members and he’ll likely see no effect or a tiny fraction of his frugality. While if he takes a shower at his house he’ll see a higher water bill at his house.
+1 on this. Let's keep things honest here :)
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

investing1012 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:50 pm

You disagree with my point that using any resources at the gym that cost the gym money will be absorbed by the customers at the gym? Yes, of course it won't be dollar for dollar with the shower. As a group they will all incur the costs.
Gill

Post by Gill »

Played a golf ball I found in the weeds.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Cut my own hair. No more trips to Sport Clips for me.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Greased the drivetrain of my 2001 daily driver Toyota truck (199,840 miles).
travellight

Post by travellight »

Having lunch while charging at a supercharger.
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

Reused a foil gift-bag from an open-early Christmas gift my daughter presented to the family (a precious collection of hand-drawn favorite animal portraits). Then, we all ate leftovers for lunch.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Used Movie Pass to watch the new STAR WARS movie. Pretty good!
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Washed our cars; ourselves.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

We went to oldest daughter's place and ate their food and drank their booze! Someone else's liquor always tastes better!

:sharebeer

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

My DH and I shared a Wendy's $4 meal deal. Exchanged the fries for chili, and I ate the chili and 2 of the pieces of chicken, and he enjoyed the bacon burger and 2 pieces of chicken, and the drink. (I drink water).
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Walked to the corner store (less than 1/4 mile) to buy the Sunday paper for $3.
Back last summer I finally cancelled my years-long subscription because the cost kept going up while the paper kept shrinking. And they wouldn't let me subscribe to just the Sunday paper, which is all I really want. Since then, each Sunday morning that I'm at home, I walk to the convenience store to buy a paper. Today freezing rain was just starting to fall, so it was the toughest decision I have had to make about whether I would get the paper since I started this new regime.

Homemade muffins and hazelnut latte and a very long time to lounge with the paper.
hmw

Post by hmw »

Got my gas at my local grocery store gas station (cheapest in town). Used a 2 for 1 coupon to buy 2 frozen pizzas at the same grocery store.