What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
steve321

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by steve321 »

d0gerz wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:12 pm
steve321 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:25 am I made my own natto (fermented soy beans). It's quite cheap to make and very expensive (about x10) to buy - very few people make it and I'd have to have it posted to us.
And it's delicious. :thumbsup
Once I bought natto sushi rolls by mistake. It tasted and smelled so bad I literally flushed it down the toilet.
yeah it's a special flavour. I love it but I know some people don't (that's probably why it's so hard to find). Like some kinds of cheese I guess.
Success does not bring happiness. In fact, happiness IS success. | 'There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.' Oscar Wilde
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

MathWizard wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:34 am
stoptothink wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:50 am
Afty wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:04 am Replaced the engine air filters and cabin air filter in my car by myself today. Super easy and saved probably $50 vs. having it done at a shop.
There are actual car owners who pay someone else to replace their engine and cabin air filters?
Most cabin air filters are relatively easy to change,but at least one requires several non intuitive steps,including one which requires removing the glove compartment turning on the car and placing the vent in recirculate mode to open a diverter, switching the ignition off, cutting the now exposed air grate out , and discarding it, which then allows you to swap the filter,then you reinstall the glove compartment.
After decades of changing my own engine air filters in American and Japanese made cars, I had a heck of a time changing the air filter in my current Mercedes SUV. They make it such that unless you have just the right tools, it is difficult to access. After scraping up my hand and wrist last year while trying to open the housing, I just had the shop do it this year.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

Our 51 inch tv died so I bought a 40 inch tv used for $40.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

BruinBones wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:01 pm
After decades of changing my own engine air filters in American and Japanese made cars, I had a heck of a time changing the air filter in my current Mercedes SUV. They make it such that unless you have just the right tools, it is difficult to access. After scraping up my hand and wrist last year while trying to open the housing, I just had the shop do it this year.
Which model? Nothing difficult about the engine, cabin & pollen filters in my 2016 GLC300.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

PowderDay9 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:44 pm Our 51 inch tv died so I bought a 40 inch tv used for $40.
I hope that you thoroughly disinfected that used TV before you brought it into your home.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

neilpilot wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:50 pm
BruinBones wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:01 pm
Which model? Nothing difficult about the engine, cabin & pollen filters in my 2016 GLC300.
I had similar problems with a Sprinter. After 20 minutes of cursing, shoving, and wondering what those German <deleted> were up to, I figured out the trick I was missing, and it slipped right in.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

Trader Joe wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:52 pm
PowderDay9 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:44 pm Our 51 inch tv died so I bought a 40 inch tv used for $40.
I hope that you thoroughly disinfected that used TV before you brought it into your home.
I cleaned the TV and disinfected the remote. Is there something concerning about a used TV?
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

I decided to make my Polaris Ranger UTV do a little more work. I just finished installing a 66" steel snow plow and winch to the front bumper. The instructions are not written by an English major so it takes a while to discover how to put it all together. It runs perfectly and I probably should pay myself $500.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

PowderDay9 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:15 pm
I cleaned the TV and disinfected the remote. Is there something concerning about a used TV?
Bedbugs, the same risk you assume when accepting any used furniture. They crawl into anything, even picture frames.
jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa »

I frequently remind myself of the maxim "don't ever pay for something you can do yourself."

DW and I are renting a new house and the owners, who had previously lived here for 20 years, asked if we wanted to continue with all of their services. I was amazed that they pay almost $200/month for lawn care, $50/month for pest control, and a few other odds and ends. It really adds up!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

jumbopapa wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:12 am I was amazed that they pay almost $200/month for lawn care
+1. The previous owners of my house were also paying $200/month for lawn care and that was 19 years ago. I know because when we moved in I asked the lawn care company what the charges were, just out of curiosity. The first year we were here I used a push mower but it was too much work, so the next year I bought a rider mower for $1K and have been using it ever since. I’ve only done routine maintenance on it, no breakdowns.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:36 am
jumbopapa wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:12 am I was amazed that they pay almost $200/month for lawn care
+1. The previous owners of my house were also paying $200/month for lawn care and that was 19 years ago. I know because when we moved in I asked the lawn care company what the charges were, just out of curiosity. The first year we were here I used a push mower but it was too much work, so the next year I bought a rider mower for $1K and have been using it ever since. I’ve only done routine maintenance on it, no breakdowns.
Have seen it mentioned multiple times on this board that lawn care is only $200/month. That's not going to make or break our budget, but it's nearly 3x our monthly utilities or half what we spend on food or a few fun family outings (every. single. month); it's all about opportunity cost. So many ways that I can use those resources to improve my quality of life far more than the small effort of mowing a lawn takes away from it. My parents were going to pay about that now that they have health issues that make maintaining their yard difficult (and $200 to them is WAY more than it is to us) so wife and I agreed that we'd do it for them.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

It's a win-win to lose the weight that gained during the pandemic so that the wardrobe can be saved, not to mention the health benefit. :idea:
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:50 pm
Bedbugs, the same risk you assume when accepting any used furniture. They crawl into anything, even picture frames.
Did not know that. I thought it had to have fabric?
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Does this count? I ordered a pair of shoes amd small table from Target. They were fine, but not quite what I had expected. So I returned them and "saved" $110.

I considered going to Dick's Sporting Goods to look at shoes but came home and took a nap instead. 😀
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

iamblessed wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:04 pm
I'm curious about this too. Our used tv cost $25 and the tv stand was ~$40. We've had it for a few years and haven't had a bug issue.
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Today SO and I went to the grocery store because chicken was on sale for 29 cents per pound. There was a limit per person so we each got a 10-pound bag.

We paid & put the bags of chicken in the car and went back in to check how much was left on really old Starbucks gift cards (one was from 2006!) that my mom had found. SO had also downloaded a coupon for a grande drink.

There was only one barista in the in-store Starbucks, and a couple of folks were still waiting for their drinks, so we told her to make their orders and we'd be happy to wait. She was grateful, so SO and I chatted for a few minutes while she made their drinks.

When it was our turn, she patiently told us the amount for each gift card (ended up being close to $40 total) and asked us what we wanted to drink. SO saw there was a line forming behind us, and mentioned we weren't in a rush, so she helped the others behind us.

When it was our turn to actually order the drink and pay, she surprised us with the drink we had talked about and expressed gratitude for our patience. We may have been waiting for 20 minutes altogether, if even that. It was an enjoyable Saturday afternoon with SO, and got a free grande guava passion fruit drink for simply letting others go before us.
kabob

Post by kabob »

Washed my own Car...(by hand)
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

watched Dear Hubby change the oil in my 2007 Lexus, then he cleaned the gutters and fixed our 2000 Honda lawn mower with parts that arrived earlier. I weeded flower beds and feed the chickens (got 2 eggs for my trouble). Then cooked dinner using 2 chicken breast from Costco chicken package that was on sale for $5 off, and a jar of Masala from Aldi. Perfect rainy day.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

jumbopapa wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:12 am I frequently remind myself of the maxim "don't ever pay for something you can do yourself."

DW and I are renting a new house and the owners, who had previously lived here for 20 years, asked if we wanted to continue with all of their services. I was amazed that they pay almost $200/month for lawn care, $50/month for pest control, and a few other odds and ends. It really adds up!
We agree with you! We are late and mid 60s. We have decided to do everything as long as we can, then use all the money we saved to have it done. Our one acre takes DH almost 4 hours to edge, weed eat and mow (riding and self propelled) but he enjoys it. We have painted guest rooms, our garages, built a chicken coop, put in flower beds in the 3 1/2 yrs we have lived here. We had to have the shop put up, and new gutters, but plan to do what we can as long as possible. I looked into getting house cleaned, but for $100, I can do it.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

Colorado13 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:30 pm
iamblessed wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:04 pm

I'm curious about this too. Our used tv cost $25 and the tv stand was ~$40. We've had it for a few years and haven't had a bug issue.
Based on a quick Google search, it's rare that bedbugs would make their home in a flat panel TV. They prefer the bed which is closest to the food supply (you).

Besides, you're much more likely to get 50 bed bug bites from sleeping over night at the hospital. Ask me how I know. :twisted:
jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa »

Lalamimi wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:19 pm We agree with you! We are late and mid 60s. We have decided to do everything as long as we can, then use all the money we saved to have it done. Our one acre takes DH almost 4 hours to edge, weed eat and mow (riding and self propelled) but he enjoys it. We have painted guest rooms, our garages, built a chicken coop, put in flower beds in the 3 1/2 yrs we have lived here. We had to have the shop put up, and new gutters, but plan to do what we can as long as possible. I looked into getting house cleaned, but for $100, I can do it.
I've noticed a growing trend where more and more people aren't doing anything themselves. Plumbers to install faucets, mechanics to change oil, tradesman to hang a TV, etc. I don't know what it is, maybe people think it's harder than it actually is, but it's kind of upsetting to me. My dad always did all the work around the house, so I think that's where I learned it. I'm in between moves right now and I asked my neighbor to borrow a drill and he didn't have one! I was shocked.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

I fed a houseful of guests brunch using eggs that were collected from my hens in my own back yard pen and also made muffins from fresh ingredients from my fridge and pantry.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

jumbopapa wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:43 am
Lalamimi wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:19 pm We agree with you! We are late and mid 60s. We have decided to do everything as long as we can, then use all the money we saved to have it done. Our one acre takes DH almost 4 hours to edge, weed eat and mow (riding and self propelled) but he enjoys it. We have painted guest rooms, our garages, built a chicken coop, put in flower beds in the 3 1/2 yrs we have lived here. We had to have the shop put up, and new gutters, but plan to do what we can as long as possible. I looked into getting house cleaned, but for $100, I can do it.
I've noticed a growing trend where more and more people aren't doing anything themselves. Plumbers to install faucets, mechanics to change oil, tradesman to hang a TV, etc. I don't know what it is, maybe people think it's harder than it actually is, but it's kind of upsetting to me. My dad always did all the work around the house, so I think that's where I learned it. I'm in between moves right now and I asked my neighbor to borrow a drill and he didn't have one! I was shocked.
We see the same thing here. People post needed something done that seems so easy. Someone posted recently they wanted to have someone season their cast iron skillet. MY DH will try anything once (tile counters, etc.) We know our limits, but even our daughter, who is great at putting furniture together, changing light bulbs, has her lawn done (her husband has never mowed, grew up in apartments), house painted, etc. We had this house painted as it was just too overwhelming when we moved and it has high ceilings and crown molding. But we painted the 2 guest rooms ourselves. And I hand scraped wax build up off the wood kitchen floor (17 hrs) and resealed with Liquid Gold Restore. Getting up the nerve to do the den and dining room - I used a food scraper at that. We did have gutters replaced, and our patio ceiling and wall painted, but we painted the rest of the garage ourselves.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

Why would I do any of this myself when:

1. I take no pleasure in it
2. I would likely do it much worse than a professional
3. Learning how to do it, and then doing it, would take time away from leisure activities I actually enjoy
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Lalamimi wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:43 pm
We see the same thing here. People post needed something done that seems so easy. Someone posted recently they wanted to have someone season their cast iron skillet. MY DH will try anything once (tile counters, etc.) We know our limits, but even our daughter, who is great at putting furniture together, changing light bulbs, has her lawn done (her husband has never mowed, grew up in apartments), house painted, etc. We had this house painted as it was just too overwhelming when we moved and it has high ceilings and crown molding. But we painted the 2 guest rooms ourselves. And I hand scraped wax build up off the wood kitchen floor (17 hrs) and resealed with Liquid Gold Restore. Getting up the nerve to do the den and dining room - I used a food scraper at that. We did have gutters replaced, and our patio ceiling and wall painted, but we painted the rest of the garage ourselves.
Some people have more money than time. 17 hours of hand scrapping the floor doesn’t sound like fun.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Tingting1013 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:50 pm

3. Learning how to do it, and then doing it, would take time away from leisure activities I actually enjoy
I think some of the disconnect is that many of us have different amounts of resources and different priorities of how to use those resources. Unclear why this should be upsetting to anyone in either direction...
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Tingting1013 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:50 pm

[emphasis added]

This ^^, what Tingting1013 wrote, absolutely.

And I'll add:

4. At this point in our lives, we simply do not have the physical capability to do many of the things that we were able to do - or sometimes eager to do - earlier in life.

There's no point in aggravating - or even risking aggravating - any existing conditions or injuries when it's not necessary, and when we can now easily afford to get help when needed or desired.

Bottom line is that this (the above 'reasons') are part of "what we've been saving for", etc.
And, indeed, also "'how we chose to spend our money, and very importantly, our time, earlier in life."

And I truly fail to see why anyone else would be "upset" because WE prefer to spend our money getting help, regardless of the reason (whether it is medically necessary or advised, we can't do a 'good enough job' these days, or we simply prefer not to do it, "these days" or any days).
:confused

Also, just because someone doesn't change faucets or mow the lawn, etc., that certainly doesn't mean that they "aren't doing anything themselves"! :shock:
How do you or most others know how "those people" generally spend their time.
And why does their choice "upset" you, if it isn't interferring with your life?
Perhaps they are spending their time helping others. Or working round the clock to support a family, or working late and on weekends because they enjoy it. Or, yes, just reading a good book, or going for a walk or...even... napping. :wink:
Why would any of those choices that others make about their own time, effort, and money upset you?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Bought pre-mixed 50/50 dex-cool at Walmart for cheap. Drained coolant and refilled. Dealer charges $99+.

Next frugal thing I'd love to do - front toe alignment.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

I replaced the brake pads and rotors on our family's car. I work at a desk all day so I find these kinds of tasks enjoyable. This was my first time, so it was fun to learn. Sadly, the only new tool that this provided an excuse to buy was a $15 piston compressor, which wasn't very cool. I really want a Milwaukee cordless ratchet but with only 16 bolts involved in this job, I could not justify it.

I've heard that brake jobs are considered "gravy" tickets by techs because they're rated for a high number of hours, but can be done really quickly. I believe I saved about $300-$500 in labor cost, though that's not the reason I chose to do it myself.
tower

Post by tower »

I hate throwing away my old Economists. I asked my friend two blocks away if he would like them. He jumped at the idea and said he would give me his old NewYorkers. My neighbors accross the street used to live in Connecticut and miss the NewYorkers. So they get them third hand.

Today on my walk to deliver the Economist, I dropped by our corner library--consisting of a box with a window purched on a fence in our neighbor's yard. I pulled out "A Kid's Guide to Chess" and gave it to my grandson for his birthday.

A friend believes that recycling is not cost effective. Recycling just needs to be done right.
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

Spent 4 full days staining my elevated deck and also lower wooden patio.

I might post about this in a future thread. I learned a lot of things to be careful about! But in the end... I saved money with DIY
tower

Post by tower »

The book "Happy Money" suggests five ways to spend money to make you happy: 1 give it away, 2 spend money to avoid doing stuff you hate doing, 3 spend money on experiences not things, 4 pay in advance--anticipation often brings more joy than the act of consumption itself, and 5. make it a treat. I saved money by drinking no beer for a week. Then at my son's independence day party i had two of the best craft beers i have ever quaffed. What a treat!
HombrePeludo

Post by HombrePeludo »

I bought green bell peppers instead of red. 89 cents each vs $1.49. Feeling pretty smug at the moment but when the wife gets home I could be in trouble. :annoyed
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

Rewired two circa 1950's table top lamps.

Total cost: ~$12.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

We make our own yogurt via instant pot and then strain for Greek Style. Local market we frequent often has milk marked down as it's near expiration. Today, July 5th, I bought 2x half gallons that are normally $2.19 that were reduced $2 each with July 7th expiration! Only $0.19 each! $0.38 for gallon of yogurt, now that's frugal! :beer Yogurt for breakfast
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

vfinx wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:33 pm I replaced the brake pads and rotors on our family's car. I work at a desk all day so I find these kinds of tasks enjoyable. This was my first time, so it was fun to learn. Sadly, the only new tool that this provided an excuse to buy was a $15 piston compressor, which wasn't very cool. I really want a Milwaukee cordless ratchet but with only 16 bolts involved in this job, I could not justify it.

I've heard that brake jobs are considered "gravy" tickets by techs because they're rated for a high number of hours, but can be done really quickly. I believe I saved about $300-$500 in labor cost, though that's not the reason I chose to do it myself.
Congratulations on that brake job. But if you were seriously frugal, you wouldn't have spent $15 on a piston compressor. In every case I've experienced so far, the brake piston can easily be compressed using a large c-clamp or even channel locks. Just place the old brake pad up against the piston and squeeze.
rh00p

Post by rh00p »

Instead of buying fireworks I watched my neighbor put on a show.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

neilpilot wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 pm
vfinx wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:33 pm I replaced the brake pads and rotors on our family's car. I work at a desk all day so I find these kinds of tasks enjoyable. This was my first time, so it was fun to learn. Sadly, the only new tool that this provided an excuse to buy was a $15 piston compressor, which wasn't very cool. I really want a Milwaukee cordless ratchet but with only 16 bolts involved in this job, I could not justify it.

Congratulations on that brake job. But if you were seriously frugal, you wouldn't have spent $15 on a piston compressor. In every case I've experienced so far, the brake piston can easily be compressed using a large c-clamp or even channel locks. Just place the old brake pad up against the piston and squeeze.
Ya I thought there would something very satisfying about using the compression tool. It was rather underwhelming. I could have used a flathead to pry it over.
dpt486

Post by dpt486 »

Repaired our Maytag clothes dryer with an OEM $27 repair kit. Surprisingly easy fix and no more awful squealing. Works as well as when it was new.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

HombrePeludo wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:23 pm I bought green bell peppers instead of red. 89 cents each vs $1.49. Feeling pretty smug at the moment but when the wife gets home I could be in trouble. :annoyed
There are not insignificant health-related differences between green and red bell peppers that explain the price difference.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

rh00p wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:39 pm Instead of buying fireworks I watched my neighbor put on a show.
:-D
PineappleGoesOnPizza

Post by PineappleGoesOnPizza »

rh00p wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:39 pm Instead of buying fireworks I watched my neighbor put on a show.
Saving money and fingers :thumbsup
reader79

Post by reader79 »

My 6-year-old daughter lost a tooth today, and the tooth fairy brought $2 instead of the U.S. national average of $4.71.

https://www.seattleschild.com/how-much- ... l-rundown/
VTI: 50%, QQQM: 30%, VO: 10%, VB: 10%
bagle

Post by bagle »

Made my own granola. Followed free Gordon Ramsay YouTube video.
tower

Post by tower »

My good friends host a "super cheap beer tasting contest" each year.
Haledom

Post by Haledom »

I fixed the toilet leak - had to take off the tank and change the entire fill valve and flapper. Cost me 23 bucks but I did spend 3-4 hours (imagine a plumber would have done it in 30 minutes). DW thinks it was a waste of time but I like to learn things and don't mind getting my hands dirty. :happy
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

Your focus is too narrow. One brake job = 16 bolts, 10 brake jobs = 160 bolts! Think about it hard enough, and you may be able to justify a compressor and air tools! :D My son just came up to the house last weekend to change out his brakes, as I have the air tools. As an aside, I've only used a C-clamp and an old brake pad for piston compression, only because I already had a couple of clamps.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Haledom wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:00 am I fixed the toilet leak - had to take off the tank and change the entire fill valve and flapper. Cost me 23 bucks but I did spend 3-4 hours (imagine a plumber would have done it in 30 minutes). DW thinks it was a waste of time but I like to learn things and don't mind getting my hands dirty. :happy
If you hadn't taken off the tank, and only removed the tank's cover, you wound have saved a lot of time. :D
Haledom

Post by Haledom »

I had to take it off as I had to replace the gasket under the flapper too. Also all the old bolts were rusted and not in good shape after 15 years! Maybe that was overkill but yeah it would have saved me a lot of time.