What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Nicolas »

I changed my own oil (in my 2nd car) as I always do, because today was a fine day and winter’s coming. This saves me ~$25 per change. I use my preferred oil and filter and I know it’s been done correctly. And also I won’t try to sell myself anything :D
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I was overcharged at the grocery store $1.67 so I went back and got a refund in cash but later I found they had shorted me a dime, so always check your receipts and your change.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hbdad

Post by hbdad »

Purchased Christmas cards from Costco website instead of Shutterfly. Same great quality. Saved 50%.
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

I finally after reading this forum for years signed up and began to post :)
Geronkas

Post by Geronkas »

andyhere wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:16 pm After my bike ride, I had some water and ice leftover in my water bottle. Rather than spilling it in the sink, I poured it into a glass to drink at home.
This may qualify as the most Boglehead deed on the
forum 😂😂😂
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Lou Sevens wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:26 am I finally after reading this forum for years signed up and began to post :)
Welcome to the forum Lou!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Questioned some unnecessary procedures and refused certain irrelevant medicines during a hospital stay. Details would curl your hair- I was utterly justified. Happy to share details by PM. Perhaps doctors could confirm I was right or explain why I was wrong. However as I note elsewhere, 98 percent of the experience was very positive!!
CRJPylote

Post by CRJPylote »

I stated a project I've been thinking about for awhile, putting all my food in a database in a app with expiration dates. This may seem a bit silly, but I am gone on 3-4 day trips with 2 days off in between for work and I found that I wasn't using some food items before they went bad. I am by myself so I do not have a large family to eat food for me either. Another benefit to this for stuff like spices, I would occasionally buy a duplicate.

Not for everyone but helpful for me.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:33 pm
Lou Sevens wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:26 am I finally after reading this forum for years signed up and began to post :)
Welcome to the forum Lou!
The best long term return!
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Tomorrow I will be buying Target gift cards as they will be 10% off. I will be putting them on my Discover Card which has 5% cashback on Target.com.

Edit: I was given the wrong date on this promo. It is actually 12/4-12/5. Good deal if you shop at Target.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 pm I was overcharged at the grocery store $1.67 so I went back and got a refund in cash but later I found they had shorted me a dime, so always check your receipts and your change.
And you walked back and forth to the store in your homemade shoes? I hope you didn’t spend any gas (or electricity) driving at these crazy prices!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Monsterflockster wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:45 am
Nicolas wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 pm I was overcharged at the grocery store $1.67 so I went back and got a refund in cash but later I found they had shorted me a dime, so always check your receipts and your change.
And you walked back and forth to the store in your homemade shoes? I hope you didn’t spend any gas (or electricity) driving at these crazy prices!
No, I was standing just outside the store when I discovered the error, so I just walked back in to seek redress. I would not have driven. When I found that I was shorted the dime I didn’t try to get it back. But I was miffed.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Made stock with the turkey carcass. It cooked in the crockpot all last night. Both frugal and yummy.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Your avatar would have gone back in the store and hit someone with a cane. For those who aren’t familiar, here’s a trailer for the documentary Beware of Mister Baker

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... EiPk8D8D6p
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
MandyLuna

Post by MandyLuna »

Decided to forego the $20K worth of dental work suggested by a new dentist, for teeth that are not troubling me. I got a second opinion. That estimate was $1K. Quite a difference. Interesting that two professionals looking at the same set of teeth could come away with such varying advice. Makes me wonder if dentistry is more of an art than a science.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

Duplicate
Last edited by Zeno on Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Zeno wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:39 pm In a family tradition, every Friday after Thanksgiving we go to a local national forest with family and loved ones and harvest our Christmas tree. Total cost: $10/tree via a federal permit.

Tomorrow, we will go fly fishing on the North Platte River. The brown trout are spawning this time of year.
What a lovely family tradition!! Hope you had a nice time.
telecaster

Post by telecaster »

Our 8 year old vacuum cleaner broke. Instead of running out to buy a new black Friday model, I took it apart, found a broken belt, and ordered a new belt and filter set for it.

$30 bucks instead of $300.

Will I retire a day earlier? No... But it felt good fixing it instead of adding to the global landfill.
ssusan333

Post by ssusan333 »

I used $650 of my workplace health incentive to buy three holiday gifts! Lots of steps to not spend "real" money!
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

If one was very frugal you could “celebrate” Thanksgiving today and get your turkeys half price.

Same could be said for Christmas celebrate a week later in order to buy your gifts the 26th.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

mrmass wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:25 pm If one was very frugal you could “celebrate” Thanksgiving today and get your turkeys half price.

Same could be said for Christmas celebrate a week later in order to buy your gifts the 26th.
I don't know if you've seen it, but it sort of went viral. A supposed money saving expert was on NBC news earlier in the week. She said to save money for Thanksgiving given the increased costs you could not serve a turkey. Then, when you tell guests you won't have a turkey some probably won't come and you'll save even more money! :oops:
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I put up the same two strings of Christmas lights that I have used for the past 20 years. I had to replace a bulb, but there were a few in the original package, so no extra charge from the original $5 or so. I tried two strings of cheap LED bulbs a few years ago and did not like the result, so it is unfrugal in electricity consumption to use the older incandescent bulbs, but they look better.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

mrmass wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:25 pm If one was very frugal you could “celebrate” Thanksgiving today and get your turkeys half price.

Way less than half price!

This morning the fresh Butterballs were marked down to $0.29/lb. The small turkey I bought cost $3.68.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Walked 2 miles to the UPS store and back instead of driving to return some Amazon items I didn't need. Also got to listen to some podcasts along the way. Got some exercise, was educated, refund from Amazon, and didn't need to use battery on my Tesla.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

Glued a Teva sandal together with some pool equipment epoxy.
My other vehicle is an index fund.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

harrychan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:20 pm Walked 2 miles to the UPS store and back instead of driving to return some Amazon items I didn't need. Also got to listen to some podcasts along the way. Got some exercise, was educated, refund from Amazon, and didn't need to use battery on my Tesla.
Did the same today, but it was to the library to return our books. We share a single car and wife commutes to work (today she took the kids to a friend's ranch to ride horses while I stayed home), so I'm am usually walking or riding my bike anywhere within 10 miles of our home. Wouldn't have it any other way and has nothing to do with my frugality.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Skipped breakfast and lunch yesterday and today. 4 hr. eating window. Frugality not really the goal here but negating all the additional calories on Thanksgiving is.. :happy
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

Drank free beer.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

After much abuse, our car's door handle broke off. The dealership wanted $300 to repair it, and an independent shop wanted $150. I ordered the replacement part online for $20, and installed it myself. On many cars, this would have been a 2 minute job, but mine required removal of the interior door panel to access the retaining screw. But it was still easy, and it probably would have been a "gravy ticket" for the technician.
virgingorda

Post by virgingorda »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:52 am Made stock with the turkey carcass. It cooked in the crockpot all last night. Both frugal and yummy.
I should have done this, but I didn't feel like traveling with a turkey carcass. I had already put the garbage out and didn't want to spend $1.80 for another trash bag sticker (the way it works in our town) or, more importantly, be left with one fewer stickers in reserve. So we put the turkey carcass in the wooded area out back for foxes and coyotes. It was gone by morning!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Ordered a few necessary household things on Amazon, including Stately Euro Dad’s favorite Gillette fusion 5 razor refill cartridges ($5 for two - he says one lasts a YEAR… can this be?) $25 for 4 in local stores, same item.

Got to checkout, noticed a surprise $28 delivery charge - before - I placed my order. Noticed that delivery was free if I wanted delivery a few days later. Checked that option, sparing myself an extra $28.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

When our three daughters were all teenagers, DW and I would do our best to buy them clothes at their favorite store for Christmas. They would invariably return everything after Christmas and return with two-three times as many clothing items.
They were smart shoppers.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

I cut the bottom off the Costco shampoo bottle off to get access to the one week’s supply of shampoo that the pump can’t reach.
:beer
“Doing well with money has little to do with how smart you are and a lot to do with how you behave.” - Morgan Housel
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Fat Tails wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:58 pm I cut the bottom off the Costco shampoo bottle off to get access to the one week’s supply of shampoo that the pump can’t reach.
My shampoo bottle has a flip top (no pump). I store it upside down so content settles to bottom. After the empty "burp", I'll add some water (shower head), shake, and get a couple more uses out of it*. (* Short hair. Bottle now stored upright since I use the bottle cap as a reminder to replace the shampoo.)

Symbology. After I get the shampoo burp and add water, I toss the bottle cap into the sink, as a reminder to put a new bottle of shampoo in the shower. I don't discard the bottle cap until *after* I've put a new bottle of shampoo in the shower. So even if I forget to immediately replace the shampoo, I'll remember to do so later when I see the cap in the sink.

If your shampoo pump, will pump water, could try above as being a lazier method.
No preplanning required, just wait for the "burp" to act.
And since watered content easily pour out, could toss your pump (after it's cleared out by pumping watered content) into the sink as a reminder to replace the shampoo.
:happy
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

dratkinson wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:13 am
Fat Tails wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:58 pm I cut the bottom off the Costco shampoo bottle off to get access to the one week’s supply of shampoo that the pump can’t reach.
My shampoo bottle has a flip top (no pump). I store it upside down so content settles to bottom. After the empty "burp", I'll add some water (shower head), shake, and get a couple more uses out of it*. (* Short hair. Bottle now stored upright since I use the bottle cap as a reminder to replace the shampoo.)

Symbology. After I get the shampoo burp and add water, I toss the bottle cap into the sink, as a reminder to put a new bottle of shampoo in the shower. I don't discard the bottle cap until *after* I've put a new bottle of shampoo in the shower. So even if I forget to immediately replace the shampoo, I'll remember to do so later when I see the cap in the sink.

If your shampoo pump, will pump water, could try above as being a lazier method.
And since watered content easily pour out, could toss your pump (after it's cleared out by pumping watered content) into the sink as a reminder to replace the shampoo.
Assuming that lower manufacturing costs translate into a lower price, shampoo with flip top packaging should cost slightly less than the pump version.

I thought I was somewhat anal-retentive, but maybe Dratkinson has me beat.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I temporarily got caught up in the frenzy of cyber Monday shopping. I had a few items in my cart and was nearly ready to click the submit button, when I reconsidered my purchase. I decided that saving a couple of dollars to buy things that I don't really need was not the best idea. So I emptied my cart and didn't look back.

I also went to the dollar store to buy a couple of items and amazingly didn't buy anything that wasn't on the shopping list!
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Bought the cheaper AirPods over AirPods Pro :mrgreen:
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
brandy

Post by brandy »

virgingorda wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:25 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:52 am So we put the turkey carcass in the wooded area out back for foxes and coyotes. It was gone by morning!
At first this sounds like a great idea, then remember that animals should not be fed cooked bones as they can/will splinter and cause internal injury. Please don't do that... :(
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:38 am
dratkinson wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:13 am

Assuming that lower manufacturing costs translate into a lower price, shampoo with flip top packaging should cost slightly less than the pump version.

I thought I was somewhat anal-retentive, but maybe Dratkinson has me beat.
My home health aides can milk an apparent empty shampoo bottle for a week or two before they toss the bottle. Same thing for the body wash.

They waste nothing. I am nowhere near their level of frugalness.

They didn't grow up in an affluent country like the US.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

More frugal yet, and infinitely more eco friendly, I have switched to using “shampoo bars” rather than plastic bottles.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Walked two miles (each way) to a museum to use the free museum passes we got from the library. Exercised and edified, all on the same excursion.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Bought 5 ounces of cinnamon in a little plastic bag, for the same price I usually pay for two ounces in a shaker. Reusing the perfectly good old shaker instead of throwing it away.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I cut the cable tv cord this week! Should have done it sooner.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
latesaver

Post by latesaver »

how do you value your time?
rtt22

Post by rtt22 »

Sam_957 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:46 pm Glued a Teva sandal together with some pool equipment epoxy.
The cheapest adhesive to fix your shoes & sandals is the landscape block adhesive, such as this one, $5.58 for a 10 oz tube, very strong glue and long lasting!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

latesaver wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:50 pm
how do you value your time?
I’m retired so I don’t value it.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

I tried to repair a double string of LED Christmas lights. I gave up after two hours and some Utube demonstrations on how to do it, which required a repair kit costing $28.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

StevieG72 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:00 pm I cut the cable tv cord this week! Should have done it sooner.
🍾🥂🎉
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

Oh, forget to mentioned that I got a Lively Smartphone-3 for $75 last week instead of the $399 Apple iPhone SE for my senior cellular account. Looks, feels, acts like the SE but it's an Android. All same, no?
Gooch1226

Post by Gooch1226 »

Ordered breaks and rotors from eBay .. for $199 and having my mechanic put them on for $150. Beats $900 from the dealer .