New Honda CRV is MotorTrend's SUV of the year

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

New Honda CRV is MotorTrend's SUV of the year

Post by CULater »

For those posters and readers of "which SUV should I buy?" threads, I thought you'd be interested that the 2018 Honda CRV (same as the 2017) has beaten out the competition to win Motor Trend's best new SUV award, besting several much more expensive contenders such as the Volvo XC-60 and close rivals such as the Mazda CX-5. I looked at them all exhaustively and ended up last July with .... the Honda CRV. The CRV just does too many things right. Check out the article in the Jan MT, and then go down to Honda and see if they have any left! Or, you can wait for the new Acura RDX next year which will be a CRV on steroids (and cost 50% more).
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
kjvmartin

Re: New Honda CRV is MotorTrend's SUV of the year

Post by kjvmartin »

CULater wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:17 am For those posters and readers of "which SUV should I buy?" threads, I thought you'd be interested that the 2018 Honda CRV (same as the 2017) has beaten out the competition to win Motor Trend's best new SUV award, besting several much more expensive contenders such as the Volvo XC-60 and close rivals such as the Mazda CX-5. I looked at them all exhaustively and ended up last July with .... the Honda CRV. The CRV just does too many things right. Check out the article in the Jan MT, and then go down to Honda and see if they have any left! Or, you can wait for the new Acura RDX next year which will be a CRV on steroids (and cost 50% more).
Our '15 CR-V has been a good car, but we also got a great deal on it. When I recently told the Honda salesman I wanted to add a 2nd CR-V to our garage, he asked me our current payment for the '15. When I told him $220 per month for a lease, he laughed out loud. Honda has, in my opinion, gone overboard in terms of pricing. I believe we were looking at the $400s for an entry level CR-V lease. If they can't remain a reasonably priced option, what's the point? I ended up with a nice '18 Equinox with a higher sticker price, more options, and much lower overall cost.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

I have a 2017 Acura RDX Advanced with a V6 engine. The previous RDX had a Turbo that proved to be unsatisfactory. I read that the new RDX will bring the Turbo back.

Like the Diesel, is the Turbo really what it claims to be (do)?
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

I don't know how objective those MT ratings are. I can't argue with their Car of the Year -- I've been coveting the Giulia (Quadrifoglio, in particular). But this sentence from the CR-V article referring to other time the CR-V won in the recent past made me choke a little:

"A thorough rework and refresh of the previous CR-V platform was enough to garner the 2015 SUV of the Year title, narrowly edging out the Jeep Cherokee to take the win."

Anything that narrowly edges a Cherokee I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole!

The CR-V is certainly capable and inoffensive but it's not a stand-out class-leader, imo.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
trasmuss

Post by trasmuss »

My first new car was the 1973 Motor Trend Car of the Year. How could you go wrong? Unfortunately it was the Chevrolet Vega.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I don't need the "best" car, especially at a high price. I need a "plenty good enough" car.

In the crossover market there are piles of choices, many very good. My last but one was a RAV4 which now appears to have moved down the list. However Things Will Change and it might be different by the time I am ready for another.

Had a Honda once and I had bad experiences both with the car and with Honda service. So I would be disinclined to look at the CRV first.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

The turbo and CVT make it a peppy car with plenty of winter capability especially if throw on some snow tires. I think the title is well deserved.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Isn't one main point of getting an all wheel drive SUV the fact that you shouldn't have to futz with snow tires?
warowits

Post by warowits »

The problem is that Honda seems to know that it is a good car, so it is hard to get a good deal on it.
chevca

Post by chevca »

I wonder if Honda is aware of all the free advertising and praise they get on Bogleheads? :happy
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Perhaps paying close to sticker IS a good deal. It's what the market will bear, not how far below sticker you can get. You can get Chryslers for many dollars below sticker. On the surface it's a better deal. But longer term, paying full sticker for a Honda is probably the better deal.
GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Leesbro63 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:01 am Isn't one main point of getting an all wheel drive SUV the fact that you shouldn't have to futz with snow tires?
No! AWD helps with acceleration. It does not help with braking and it generally doesn't help with cornering. (A sophisticated AWD system with torque vectoring may enable the stability control system to help slightly with handling, but IMO the effect would be minimal.)

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=234335
MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle »

Leesbro63 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:01 am Isn't one main point of getting an all wheel drive SUV the fact that you shouldn't have to futz with snow tires?
No. You can have AWD or 4WD but if the tires can't grip the road, it doesn't matter. The only part of the car contacting the road is the tires. You need to have proper grip with the road surface to accelerate, turn, and stop.

Even if you can get started (which can be hard if you have 3-season tires), 4 wheel DRIVE does not mean 4 wheel STOP
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Yeah, I get it that snow tires are, well, much better in the snow. But in the real world, most of us buy all wheel drive vehicles for normal winter city/highway driving. That will be better than a vehicle without AWD. But most of us aren't gonna futz with snowtires too.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

On a related note I just traded my vanguard total stock market fund for morningstar's fund of the year. Did I do good?
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

warowits wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 am The problem is that Honda seems to know that it is a good car, so it is hard to get a good deal on it.
I'll take an okay deal on a good car over a good deal on a bad car any day.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
warowits

Post by warowits »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:57 am
warowits wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 am The problem is that Honda seems to know that it is a good car, so it is hard to get a good deal on it.
The problem is almost none of them are bad. Many are just slightly less efficient than the crv in some way, but 3k cheaper.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Leesbro63 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:44 am Yeah, I get it that snow tires are, well, much better in the snow. But in the real world, most of us buy all wheel drive vehicles for normal winter city/highway driving. That will be better than a vehicle without AWD. But most of us aren't gonna futz with snowtires too.
Not sure what the big "futz" is about changing tires. I buy separate rims and put them on in the yard. My local tire guy does them for $5 a wheel if needed. The added costs are reduced by the fact that my summer tires are saved from 5 months of use, small incremental cost associated.

As to are they needed? That depends, lots of videos showing the benefits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXjzYbpt9Ow but "all-wheel" drive vehicles (most of us, except for the Subarus and some Audis) are driving what are essentially front wheel drive vehicles that engage the rear wheels upon slipping, not nearly the same thing.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-TQdIqFvZo
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
invst65

Post by invst65 »

This is bad news because I was planning on buying a CRV next year. Something tells me it just got more expensive.
harrington

Post by harrington »

trasmuss wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:42 am My first new car was the 1973 Motor Trend Car of the Year. How could you go wrong? Unfortunately it was the Chevrolet Vega.
Mine also....A 1978 Renault Alliance.
fittan

Post by fittan »

of course not....AWD just gives you traction to start moving. It won't help you stop.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

warowits wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:15 am
FrugalInvestor wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:57 am
The problem is almost none of them are bad. Many are just slightly less efficient than the crv in some way, but 3k cheaper.
I think there are definite differences but maybe 'bad' was a bad choice of words (just trying to make a point). For instance, the CRV being a new model has a full compliment of safety features even on the base models and is probably the quietest, roomiest and most efficient of the compact SUVs. It's also a Honda. I give preference to Honda and Toyota products for long-term reliability based on my personal experience over the years and quite a few vehicles. Of course your priorities may be different but these things in particular puts the CRV at the top of my list.

We're actually patiently waiting on the 2019 RDX anticipating the many features of the CRV (and a few more) along with the more upscale interior that my wife values.
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

CRV is a nice vehicle. There are a few in the extended family and my wife has an RDX. Overall very reliable. They are typical Honda in that they are not the best in any single area (AWD, MPG, etc) but are competent in all areas making them an overall good pick. My only concern is the new turbo engine. I haven't seen anything to suggest it will not perform but it would make me a little hesitant if I was looking to buy and hold for awhile.

Prices will start to come down if you can wait. I hope the new RDX keeps the 6cyl.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

NJdad6 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:55 pm Prices will start to come down if you can wait. I hope the new RDX keeps the 6cyl.
I don't think it will but no one really knows. I'm hoping the details will be released at the North American Auto Show (Detroit) in January.

I've avoided the turbos for many years but as they've become more mainstream my concerns have largely faded. Hopefully my new comfort level is justified.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:05 pm
NJdad6 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:55 pm Prices will start to come down if you can wait. I hope the new RDX keeps the 6cyl.
I don't think it will but no one really knows. I'm hoping the details will be released at the North American Auto Show (Detroit) in January.

I've avoided the turbos for many years but as they've become more mainstream my concerns have largely faded. Hopefully my new comfort level is justified.
Turbo in the CRV provides some nice acceleration. Thing I don't like about it is the truck-like growl. Lots of people might like that sound though. Me -- I'm all for peace and quiet in my older years.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

For me, it is. I live in a very showy area and AWD with All Season tires work just fine. I am sure snow tires would work even better but not worth futzing with.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Leesbro63 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:44 am Yeah, I get it that snow tires are, well, much better in the snow. But in the real world, most of us buy all wheel drive vehicles for normal winter city/highway driving. That will be better than a vehicle without AWD. But most of us aren't gonna futz with snowtires too.
Nah, a FWD or even RWD vehicle with snow tires is far safer than an AWD vehicle with all season tires. Instead of "futzing" by spending about 20 minutes to swap your rims out twice a year, you decided to spend $2k extra for AWD along with the worse gas mileage, increased brake and tire wear, and overall more maintenance to have significantly worse snow performance than just swapping the rims/tires.

Seems like you made a great choice
westie

Post by westie »

not a Honda fanatic but I have to admit the all-new 2018 Honda Accord has piqued my interest in a new car after watching some reviews.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

ssquared87 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:59 pm
Nah, a FWD or even RWD vehicle with snow tires is far safer than an AWD vehicle with all season tires. Instead of "futzing" by spending about 20 minutes to swap your rims out twice a year, you decided to spend $2k extra for AWD along with the worse gas mileage, increased brake and tire wear, and overall more maintenance to have significantly worse snow performance than just swapping the rims/tires.

Seems like you made a great choice
Different people have different ideas. I agree with Leesbro63. No point in ridiculing someone just because they have a different view. I have done a 2+ hour daily commute on back roads for 18 years in a very snowy environment using AWD (mostly CR*V) without ever having show tires, and I missed only 1 day of work due to weather; that was because hills were blocked with cars that were stuck (not mine). So people who chose to use all season tires are not to be made fun of. It is a legitimate choice and it works for many/most of us.
Last edited by munemaker on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

"New Honda CRV with factory installed snow tires is Bogleheads.org's SUV of the Century"
Imperabo

Post by Imperabo »

I agree that a front wheel drive with winter tires is generally better in winter conditions than an all-wheel drive with all-seasons, but there is a legitimate reason why you might choose the later. Caltrans (and I assume other states) frequently has a control level where 4WD/AWD with all-season tires (mud and snow rated, which all the all-season tires I've ever had are) are allowed without chains, but 2WD require chains regardless of tires. The stopping ability of winter tires doesn't really come into play when you are in 5mph traffic going over I-80.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cttravel/chain-controls.html
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

daveydoo wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:57 am
The CR-V is certainly capable and inoffensive but it's not a stand-out class-leader, imo.
The article is pretty convincing that it is THE class leader. It seems like Honda really nailed this one!

37 SUVs - 11 judges, all car guys. Evaluated in 6 categories:

1. Advancement in Design
"The CR-V is mercifully free of the riotous mess of lines and surfaces that blights the sheetmetal of some contemporary Japanese crossovers..."
"This is about the swankiest interior ever seen on the CR-V"
"The overall design is logical and high-tech, and it feels loaded."
"It is a masterpiece of packaging, a true accomplishment in the compact SUV space."
2. Engineering Excellence
"The CR-V is bigger than the previous model - longer and taller with a longer wheelbase. But the scales also tell an intriguing truth. You get more CR-V, but it weights 113 pounds less, which helps with handling and efficiency."
3. Efficiency
"The Touring's 27/33 mpg city/highway EPA rating is therefore impressive."
4. Safety
"The CR-V has scored a solid five-star safety rating from NHTSA"
"Road test editor ... reckoned it to be perhaps the best lane keeping syustem available short of Tesla's."
5. Value
"No matter which version you choose, Honda delivers a lot of compact SUV for your money. Standard equipment levels are high."
6. Performance of Intended Function
"If you're buying a family crossover, I'm not sure why you'd consider anything other than the Honda CR-V. ... It checks all the boxes. It is clear that Honda sweats the details. The CR-V is not just roomy, well built, and well equipped. It's also thoughtfully conceived and executed."
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

munemaker wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:24 pm
daveydoo wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:57 am
The article is pretty convincing that it is THE class leader. It seems like Honda really nailed this one!

1. Advancement in Design
"The CR-V is mercifully free of the riotous mess of lines and surfaces that blights the sheetmetal of some contemporary Japanese crossovers..."
"This is about the swankiest interior ever seen on the CR-V"
"The overall design is logical and high-tech, and it feels loaded."
"It is a masterpiece of packaging, a true accomplishment in the compact SUV space."
2. Engineering Excellence
"The CR-V is bigger than the previous model - longer and taller with a longer wheelbase. But the scales also tell an intriguing truth. You get more CR-V, but it weights 113 pounds less, which helps with handling and efficiency."
3. Efficiency
"The Touring's 27/33 mpg city/highway EPA rating is therefore impressive."
4. Safety
"The CR-V has scored a solid five-star safety rating from NHTSA"
"Road test editor ... reckoned it to be perhaps the best lane keeping syustem available short of Tesla's."
5. Value
"No matter which version you choose, Honda delivers a lot of compact SUV for your money. Standard equipment levels are high."
6. Performance of Intended Function
"If you're buying a family crossover, I'm not sure why you'd consider anything other than the Honda CR-V. ... It checks all the boxes. It is clear that Honda sweats the details. The CR-V is not just roomy, well built, and well equipped. It's also thoughtfully conceived and executed."

Yep that is why I purchased a 2017 Touring, details below, only have it for 6 weeks, very happy with it.

2017 CRV Touring, 2 Wheel Drive, White Diamond Pearl with Black Interior, Body Side Molding, Door Edge Guards, Splash Guards, Husky WeatherBeater Mats front and rear and WeatherTech Rear Cargo Tray with Bumper Protection, Interior LED Lights, Backup LED Lights, Heated Steering Wheel, UHaul Trailer Hitch, HondaCare, 120k miles, 8 years, $0 deductible Extended Warranty.
MFG in Canada  (eh)
dbr

Post by dbr »

The CRV is so good I bought three of them last week and I am going to buy two more tomorrow.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

dbr wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:40 pm The CRV is so good I bought three of them last week and I am going to buy two more tomorrow.
They're cheaper by the dozen and you can give them to all your relatives as Christmas presents! Beats the heck out of peanut brittle.
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

CRV of the year - What a joke!!!

We bought a 2017 CRV touring model to replace a 2005 Prius with 150K and a very bad battery. We love our 2012 Pilot and wanted our 2nd car to have good gas milage and take some of the medium long-distance travel. We trusted Honda, and did not shop around.

It is our fifth Honda - but is now, our first with buyer's remorse.

We can't travel 200 miles without having to get out for a break because we are stiff and sore. Horrible for traveling. Since we bought it, we will limit it to local commutes. We understand that this is a smaller car, so not a "fair" comparision, but we traveled fine in our Prius and other small cars owned by others or rented by us.

Car is underpowered. Ride is rough. Console and legroom is tight. The touchscreen, especially the mapping, is worse than horrible.

Anticipate selling it long before our Pilot. We are back to traveling in our Pilot exclusively (115K miles). We will definitely do better due diligence before buying again.

Not that I ever trusted these review, but "SUV of the year" label is a joke.

YMMV
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

wanderer wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:32 pm CRV of the year - What a joke!!!

We bought a 2017 CRV touring model to replace a 2005 Prius with 150K and a very bad battery. We love our 2012 Pilot and wanted our 2nd car to have good gas milage and take some of the medium long-distance travel. We trusted Honda, and did not shop around.

It is our fifth Honda - but is now, our first with buyer's remorse.

We can't travel 200 miles without having to get out for a break because we are stiff and sore. Horrible for traveling. Since we bought it, we will limit it to local commutes. We understand that this is a smaller car, so not a "fair" comparision, but we traveled fine in our Prius and other small cars owned by others or rented by us.

Car is underpowered. Ride is rough. Console and legroom is tight. The touchscreen, especially the mapping, is worse than horrible.

Anticipate selling it long before our Pilot. We are back to traveling in our Pilot exclusively (115K miles). We will definitely do better due diligence before buying again.

Not that I ever trusted these review, but "SUV of the year" label is a joke.

YMMV
Just got done spending a couple days with a top of the line CR-V. Surprised at how disappointing it was.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

munemaker wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:24 pm

I don't doubt that the article says all those things. But this is one small step away from an advertising supplement in the local paper. There are sources I trust. Motor Trend Car of the Year is not one I have a lot of confidence in. Again, at one point, they almost picked the Jeep Cherokee (!). The CR-V is fine; I drove one for nearly a decade and I could easily tolerate another. But please don't report that the SUV decision-making process has finally ended for all of us.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

YMMV
Did you test drive the vehicle? I went to 4 dealers and test drove on all kinds of road surfaces. You would think IF the car is underpowered and has a rough ride you would have figured that out in the first 5 mins??

I never owned a SUV but have a 2013 Accord and the CRV has less road noise than the Accord. I recently came back from a month long vacation and rented 10 SUV's mfg by Toyota, Jeep, Nissan, Ford and Chevy. ALL had more road noise then the CRV, and I liked the CRV the best. As soon as I came back from vacation I test drove the CRV with the experience of driving the other SUV, that experience sealed the deal for me.

The fact that a car magazine or any other magazine says a vehicle is great is nice, but my butt made the final decision....lol.

Thanks for posting it gives others things to check out before dropping $35K on a vehicle you dislike.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Sad to see Honda cheaped out on the seats in the CRV as well as the Accord (seating in the latter gets terrible reviews)
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Car is underpowered.

YMMV
- weight to power ratio = 18.3 lb/hp
- 0 - 60 mph time = 7.5 seconds
- quarter mile ET = 15.9 seconds @ 88.4 mph.

Under powered? I don't think so.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

TLC1957 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:41 pm
Yep that is why I purchased a 2017 Touring, details below, only have it for 6 weeks, very happy with it.

2017 CRV Touring, 2 Wheel Drive, White Diamond Pearl with Black Interior, Body Side Molding, Door Edge Guards, Splash Guards, Husky WeatherBeater Mats front and rear and WeatherTech Rear Cargo Tray with Bumper Protection, Interior LED Lights, Backup LED Lights, Heated Steering Wheel, UHaul Trailer Hitch, HondaCare, 120k miles, 8 years, $0 deductible Extended Warranty.
MFG in Canada  (eh)
Congrats. Sounds beautiful.

Surprised to see so many haters on here. Didn't expect that.
MikeDun

Post by MikeDun »

I have 17' ex-l and very satisfied with the car...plenty of room for my family, compared to other cars is same category i think it has most room especially back seat. Ride is comfortable, very maneuverable car and quick steering. I think it has more that enough power for our needs, does not feel slow in any situation. I've tested cx5 , rav4 and Tucson when I was shopping and in my opinion it is the best package overall.....cx5 is close 2nd
researcher

Post by researcher »

munemaker wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:11 am Surprised to see so many haters on here. Didn't expect that.
Why do you call them "haters?"
Because they aren't the typical Kool-Aid drinking Honda fanboys?

I'm a lifelong Honda owner.
But the extent that some go to promote/advocate a vehicle, defend their purchase decision, and ignore any potential shortcomings is quite odd.
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

TLC1957 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:56 am

YMMV
Did you test drive the vehicle? I went to 4 dealers and test drove on all kinds of road surfaces. You would think IF the car is underpowered and has a rough ride you would have figured that out in the first 5 mins??

I never owned a SUV but have a 2013 Accord and the CRV has less road noise than the Accord. I recently came back from a month long vacation and rented 10 SUV's mfg by Toyota, Jeep, Nissan, Ford and Chevy. ALL had more road noise then the CRV, and I liked the CRV the best. As soon as I came back from vacation I test drove the CRV with the experience of driving the other SUV, that experience sealed the deal for me.

The fact that a car magazine or any other magazine says a vehicle is great is nice, but my butt made the final decision....lol.

Thanks for posting it gives others things to check out before dropping $35K on a vehicle you dislike.
We agree on the importance of adequate due diligence and letting our butts have the final say :D
Sorry if it sounds like a rant, but really hope our experience helps others in their car-buying evaluations....

Here's more on our experience. YMMV.

We have been very happy with previous Honda vehicles (Fit, old Accord, Old Civic, and our current 2012 Pilot) so when our 2005 Prius battery was declared dead we choose to get a new vehicle. We wanted a car with good in-town fuel economy, adequate acceleration to handle Houston traffic, rode higher than most economy cars (we are getting old and stiff), and could be used on some longer trips to take the load off the Pilot. The "new" CRV seemed to check the boxes and was rated well by on-line reviews so we stopped by for a quick check. We only drove the car for about 15 minutes on the "test-drive" route suggested by the salesman. We understood that the CRV was a "smaller" car which would not be the same as our Pilot, but allowed the salesman to convince us that the "new" CRV with longer/wider wheelbase would ride better than the "old" CRV and other "small" cars for long trips. We were headed on a 3-week trip in a few days, so decided to make the purchase right away, forgo additional due diligence, and not have to deal with the decision when we returned. Again, we had been happy with all of our previous Honda's so figured we would get used to the new controls, configure the touchscreen the way we preferred, etc.

Unfortunately, on our first long trip (2500 miles) we found out we were both sore and stiff from just a short time in the car. We both felt the car was noiser and more underpowered than we exected as compared to what we had remembered in our 2005 Prius. We had already donated the Prius, so could not compare directly. Shame on us for poor due diligence and essentially no comparision shopping.

Now with over 10,000 miles, several long trips, and in-town driving:
  • We like the turn-by-turn info in the drivers console when using navigation.
  • We feel the voice recognition and car speaker for phone use better than expected.
  • We find the ride for long drives painful and the noise acceptable, but not great.
  • We find the adaptive cruise control useful, but the lane-keeping system steers us wrong in the numerouse lane re-alignments on the Houston freeways (think I-45 at Hwy99)
  • We find the touchscreen ackward to use to adjust climate controls, radio stations, map,etc. We have to take our eye off the road to use the touch screen as compared to just "feeling" for traditional dials/buttons. We found out we do not feel safe using the touchscreen when driving in traffic. We will avoid, or carefully evaluate touchscreens controls on any future car purchases.
  • We find the map system hideous and a significant step backwards as compared to our 2012 Pilot. Unfortunately Honda has standardized on this new system so it's the same on any Honda, including a new Pilot. The map system uses too many extranneous background colors/shading as compared to a conventional Google, Apple, Mapquest street map, the standalone Garmin or Delorme systems, or our old trusty paper Rand-McNally atlas. As a result, the map is harder to use with a quick glance at while driving. In addition, the map zooms in/out when the car speed changes. When at freeway speeds the map wants to zoom in making it impossible to look ahead at traffic conditions or judge when major intersections are approaching. The map zooms out in town at nominal city speed limits making it impossible to reference upcoming intersections and cross roads. We find this the exactly opposite of how we have become accustomed to using the map in out Pilot or our conventional atlas. We have become impossibly frustrated re-setting the map scale and fiddling with the map. We have returned to using our old paper atlas when long-distance driving. We have always used an atlas for travelling, but became very accustomed to the Pilot's system. The turn-by-turn was not great, but we liked, and relied on the map. We learned that the map functionality was much more important to use than we realized. So on future new car purchases we need to investigate this carefully.
I could go on, but as a comparison we took a shorter road trip with our neighbors in their new Mazda CX-5. They chose differently after test driviing our CRV, our comments, and then lots of due diligence. We felt their CX-5 was more comfortable, even in the rear seats, and would have matched our needs for fuel economy in local driving and some long-distance trips much better than the CRV. Hence buyers remorse.

W
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Often the skeptic, I wonder if MotorTrend was paid by Honda? Consumer Reports rated the Honda CRV below the Toyota RAV4 in its June 2017 publication.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

munemaker wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:11 am
TLC1957 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:41 pm

MFG in Canada  (eh)
Congrats. Sounds beautiful.

Surprised to see so many haters on here. Didn't expect that.
Not a hater by any means, but I like a good value in a car. They have gotten too "high roller" for my taste. It may translate into excellent business sense for them, but personally I will not be looking at the CR-V ever again if they don't roll out some incentives. So far my Equinox is plenty adequate, if not quite as fine tuned as the CR-V. I keep praying Mazda will add CarPlay so I can go back to my brand of choice.

kjvm.
Coolstavi

Post by Coolstavi »

wanderer wrote: ↑

Unfortunately, on our first long trip (2500 miles) we found out we were both sore and stiff from just a short time in the car. We both felt the car was noiser and more underpowered than we exected as compared to what we had remembered in our 2005 Prius. We had already donated the Prius, so could not compare directly. Shame on us for poor due diligence and essentially no comparision shopping.

W
I liked the CRV but my wife and I found it very uncomfortable to drive in. And that was just on a test drive in town. We went RAV4 and I no longer have back pain after being in the car for 3 hours straight.
dbr

Post by dbr »

It appears that car buying is all too often more about ego and insecurity than it is about rational decision making. The auto manufacturers have known this since forever.

Disclaimer: I don't claim any special immunity to this.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

two wheel drive with bald regular tires = bad
all wheel drive only = better
snow tires only = better
all wheel drives and snow tires = best