Running Linux vs Other OS?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Coltrane75

Re: Running Linux vs Other OS?

Post by Coltrane75 »

I built a PC that ran a dual boot of Windows 10 and Linux Mint.
It was great for about 6 months until I had a hardware issue.
The Windows side was still able to start-up so that I could investigate the problem.
Linux wouldn't start. I then posted to the Linux Mint community forum and really had trouble communicating the problem in a way that could fix the problem.
I lost patience and retreated back to just Windows 10.
I will admit, I haven't had the motivation to really dig deep and learn enough about Linux to become an advanced user.
I don't think its as user friendly and getting help was a challenge.
Maybe I'll try again at some point.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Alexa9 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:30 am Windows: Pros: Most Software/Games, Cons: Virus/Malware, Clunky UI
Mac: Pros: Smooth OS, Better UI Cons: Limited Software
Linux: Pros: Most Secure Cons: Least Popular

Anyone have any other input, especially with running Linux? Looking to build a PC or NUC. The Mac Mini is almost 4 years old so debating between Windows 10 and Linux. Might be a fun project to try Linux (it's free!) and I can always switch to Windows.
I've been using windows at home and at work as an OS since 1996.

Why?

Easy to use, runs everything I need. I have AV/malware software but have not had a virus or malware found on my machine in almost a decade. UI is far from clunky in my opinion.

I have no reason for linux outside of enterprise level servers at work.
j9j

Post by j9j »

wfrobinette wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:43 am
Alexa9 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:30 am Windows: Pros: Most Software/Games, Cons: Virus/Malware, Clunky UI

Anyone have any other input, especially with running Linux? Looking to build a PC or NUC. The Mac Mini is almost 4 years old so debating between Windows 10 and Linux. Might be a fun project to try Linux (it's free!) and I can always switch to Windows.
I've been using windows at home and at work as an OS since 1996.

Why?

Easy to use, runs everything I need. I have AV/malware software but have not had a virus or malware found on my machine in almost a decade. UI is far from clunky in my opinion.

Echo this sentiment. Windows 10 has been good OS. Nothing compelling enough to switch.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

wfrobinette wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:43 am I've been using windows at home and at work as an OS since 1996.

Why?

+1
Linux on the desktop has become pretty good. The trouble for Linux on the desktop is that Windows and macOS have been pretty good for almost a decade now, and everything runs on them.
BespokeBiker

Post by BespokeBiker »

"Anyone have any other input, especially with running Linux? Looking to build a PC or NUC. The Mac Mini is almost 4 years old so debating between Windows 10 and Linux."

I've also been considering between Buying a Linux computer vs. Building my own Linux computer.

My background:
- I currently run Linux Mint on my MacBook Pro using VirtualBox
- Long, longtime MacOS user, but working experience w/ WinOS, as well as some Unix and Linux experience
- But I ain't no programmer or computer gearhead --- just an ordinary, informed user

Here are some hardware compatibility sites that may be of use:
Ubuntu hardware compatibility: https://certification.ubuntu.com/desktop
Debian hardware Wiki (not as up-to-date): https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware

But consider this recent & growing trend toward consumer-oriented Linux computers:
Lenovo : https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/09 ... ation-pcs/

Short articles on building linux computers (not detailed):
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ho ... -1000-usd/
https://kitchentablecomputers.com/linux3.php

- hope this is of use -- and happy trails
slicendice

Post by slicendice »

Another Linux convert here. I began 3 or 4 years ago by running Mint Cinnamon in dual boot with Windows10 mostly in response to Microsoft and other proprietary software vendors switch to "software as a service" models, I also didn't like the feeling that the computing experience that I paid for was being constantly monetized by the OS I was using. When I needed a new laptop I realized that other than taxes I never used Windows. So I got rid of windows altogether on the new laptop about a year ago and have not missed it at all. I am not really that functional in the command line in Linux, but I am learning! However, for the Mint distribution its pretty easy to setup and run the computer without the command line at all. All of the Dell laptops I have had seem to have hardware that plays well with Mint.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

If anyone is interested in building their own PC, we have an on-going discussion: PC Build Thread 2020 Feel free to ask questions in that thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
meebers

Post by meebers »

W10 main system with insider version on separate SSD. Two other SSD's that I swap in/out contain Chrome OS and the other one is Mint v 20 (Linux). Swap those SSD's thru front panel of the same computer.

Thoughts, the chrome OS basically is just a browser system, while Mint has a lots of potential, but still trying to learn it and get past the basic items.

You can always buy one of those less expensive SSD (i.e.250GB for < $50) install free Mint and give it a try then swap back to present system until you learn it. I would keep the systems separate in the event something goes sideways and you will immediately have something to fall back on. :sharebeer
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I used to run openBSD as my desktop. Now, I run it in vmware. WIndows 10 is a reasonably good operating system now.
shariq1989

Post by shariq1989 »

I have been hearing great things about Pop OS. My co-workers who use it say that it *just works seemlessly*, which is really my main requirement for an operating system.

https://pop.system76.com/
Last edited by shariq1989 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

I've been running linux as my primary since 1998, actually used it even earlier. I use windows too, have used macs and others.

I like linux better because it lets you do what you want with your computer. Sometimes with difficulty, but it is your tool. None of this "I'm installing microsoft office web apps without your permission and they'll now sit in your start menu" or "license expired". You can customize the desktop infinitely, run scripts, etc etc. If you don't like someone telling you what you can and can't do with something you bought, you might like linux. [I dislike HOAs too!]

Plus Linux Mint is OK for non-power users. My FIL and father both run it, now that Windows 7 hit EOL. It's been reliable and usable.

Other OSes are OK too. Mac even gives you the same kind of power if you want. Windows is adequate. Linux is free!

Fun read: "In the beginning there was the command line"
cos

Post by cos »

shariq1989 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:59 pm I have been heard great things about Pop OS. My co-workers who use it say that it *just works seemlessly*, which is really my main requirement for an operating system.

Seconded. Pop!_OS is more than just the new Ubuntu; it may very well be the best plug-and-play operating system in the history of computing. Hell, if you'd rather not suffer the effort of installing it, you can just buy a laptop with Pop!_OS preloaded straight from the manufacturer: https://system76.com/

I tried one of those and man, that thing was smooth as butter. I'm convinced that System76 will be the next Apple if they keep it up.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Security out-of-the-box may have improved with Linux distros enough to undermine my point at least some, but generally, I think the default installation of Windows 10 is likely to be more secure than a default Linux installation. Linux generally can be made to be more secure than Windows if the administrator has the technical background to harden the system after installation.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Northern Flicker wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:43 pm
Security out-of-the-box may have improved with Linux distros enough to undermine my point at least some, but generally, I think the default installation of Windows 10 is likely to be more secure than a default Linux installation. Linux generally can be made to be more secure than Windows if the administrator has the technical background to harden the system after installation.
Linux is so dependent on the distro. It's not a complete os like you'll find with the bsd os's available. The distro puts it together into a usable os, and then you have to figure out configuring it. This is much easier with a BSD out of the box, which is why I use them for basic daemons on my network such as dhcpd and a dns cache forwarder (unbound). Linux does have better network performance out of the box than BSD now.

Pick the OS that best matches the tasks that you'll be doing. My dumb AP is running Linux. My gateway is running oBSD. My local machines are windows or mac os. I pick based on whatever does that task the best.

They all have security issues.
Last edited by rockstar on Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sabtastic

Post by sabtastic »

If you have simple tastes, debian stable is insanely easy to install now. It even has a graphical installation. I would stay away from BSD unless you are comfortable tinkering. I have been using BSD and debian for personal servers for a long time and both are very stable. Debian has the advantage of better hardware support but it depends on what hardware you use.

I recently (about 8 years ago) started using debian stable as my primary OS at home just due to simplicity. Nearly 100% of my computer time is in a browser or using citrix so at this point the simplest and cheapest OS that can do that is the one for me.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

I have Zorin OS loaded on a 13 year old Lenovo laptop. It is as responsive as my current Windows 10 desktop. Zorin uses Ubuntu but makes their interface more user friendly particularly for Window users.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

I have a Linux Mint and Windows 10 dual partition system. The Win10 has been almost exclusively used for work from home this year. Until then I went months without even booting into it. I do mainly web stuff and streaming (I have a big monitor in my bedroom) on Linux.
tre3sori

Post by tre3sori »

Programming on Windows was a pain in the ...
Also often lost some data/configurations after Windows upgrades.
So switched to Ubuntu in 2004/2005.
Same problem with Ubuntu. Losing data/configurations after upgrades.
So switched to Arch with its rolling release model in 2013.
Problems with integration of some important applications/drivers (flash, printer, camera etc)
Switched to Manjaro Linux in 2017.
Manjaro Linux is based on Arch. It is comparable with Linux Mint, but for Arch instead of Debian/Ubuntu.
Arch has a great community and forum/wiki that I continue to use with Manjaro.
Pretty satisfied and at home with that OS. Everything I need integrates well, Gnome desktop is handy.
I run it on btrfs with 4 ssd in raid 10. Pretty fast since I set it up in 2017.
No Windows since about 2007/2008.
But I'm not a gamer, more of a numbers and letters person.
The information provided is intended to be entertaining. It is not to be construed as professional advice. Use it at your own risk.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

cos wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:19 pm
shariq1989 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:59 pm I have been heard great things about Pop OS. My co-workers who use it say that it *just works seemlessly*, which is really my main requirement for an operating system.

Seconded. Pop!_OS is more than just the new Ubuntu; it may very well be the best plug-and-play operating system in the history of computing. Hell, if you'd rather not suffer the effort of installing it, you can just buy a laptop with Pop!_OS preloaded straight from the manufacturer: https://system76.com/

I tried one of those and man, that thing was smooth as butter. I'm convinced that System76 will be the next Apple if they keep it up.
Third. Pop!_OS just works. Beautiful operating system.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

I run Lubuntu. Lightweight and fast.

https://lubuntu.me/
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

I like Xubuntu. I selected it based on my preference to the xfce4 desktop and whisker menu.

If you want to test out various versions of Linux distros without a system install, VirtualBox can be used to load multiple guest OS's under a virtual machine.
Last edited by 2pedals on Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

I use Ubuntu on my home computers (have a laptop and desktop for different needs). Very easy, very fast, and LibreOffice Calc is quite useful as a substitute for Excel (thought the muscle memory on formatting charts always takes me a second) to run my personal finance spreadsheet.

I will probably need to upgrade my laptop soon. Linux stretched the lifespan pretty well so it's been almost 7 years since I bought the one I have now. I'm looking for maybe a custom build without an OS, and will probably try out Zorin OS again just to see how it goes. I used it a bit in 2016/2017, and it's quite aesthetically pleasing, but when a dual boot with Win7 I had went bad, I just made a fresh drive with Ubuntu for simplicity.
kabob

Post by kabob »

Android - on Samsung Tablet's! Wowsa, Best zippy, near full size touch screen portable yet...
I call em the best CocktailTable Computer available - A definite iPad Killer! With serious juice, full line of supported software, great network connectivity and other platform/file comparability - I got one and was totally supersized, sees every other computer, phone, device (wired or wireless) on local LAN - and has a nice UI (same/similar to Driod Galaxy Smartphones [ but OnSteriods anda BigScreen]). It'll even full screen RemoteDesktop into my Win10Pro desktop or server! And any generic rubbertipprd pen/scribepoint worka great on it's touchscreen(much better than FatFingering). I actually prefer it to an MS Surface per the UI.
Yep, Google Android OS on a Samsung Tablet - Who'd a thought it - Suprized Me! I'm totally moble with it.
Check em out, they come in like 7" thru 12-14" screens and usually included folder/case.
I got mine at Costco very reasonably... (LoveIt)
PS: they're Much more powerfull that I ever thought...
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

lostdog wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:49 am I run Lubuntu. Lightweight and fast.

https://lubuntu.me/
It's my favorite. I've tried SUSE, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Mint (MATE I think?), but Lubuntu is my favorite, especially with the new LXQT rather than LXDE.
LLeaff

Post by LLeaff »

lostdog wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:43 am Third. Pop!_OS just works. Beautiful operating system.
Every couple years I get the urge to try again with Linux, and every time there is some nit-picky thing that causes an issue(s). (This time around Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based OSs causes my track pad to have 1/2 pause before starting to move and the tap to click doesn't work, but only after the PC sleeps and wakes)

My experience is that that Linux is a hobby, Windows is a tool.

However I'll give this PopOS a try. I'd love to have my mind changed.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Coltrane75 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:49 am I built a PC that ran a dual boot of Windows 10 and Linux Mint.
It was great for about 6 months until I had a hardware issue.
The Windows side was still able to start-up so that I could investigate the problem.
Linux wouldn't start. I then posted to the Linux Mint community forum and really had trouble communicating the problem in a way that could fix the problem.
I lost patience and retreated back to just Windows 10.
I will admit, I haven't had the motivation to really dig deep and learn enough about Linux to become an advanced user.
I don't think its as user friendly and getting help was a challenge.
Maybe I'll try again at some point.
The "good" thing about Windows is that it's always breaking, so there's a lot of "experience" fixing it and a bigger support group.

Did (Mint) Linux start loading (screen with all the text scrolling, though often hidden by a splashpage). Did you try "save mode"? It provides a lot of information but often useful to tell you what worked and what didn't. If it didn't get to that state, then you're limited to hardware and low level troubleshooting strategies. Sometimes, it's helpful to get some tools on a USB drive and worth that way. Anyway, what turned out to be the problem hardware?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/172319/ ... -safe-mode
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_startup_process

Microsoft's Windows 10 is breaking PCs
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/ ... eaking-pcs
MICROSOFT Published 8 hours ago

Disastrous Windows 10 update is reportedly breaking some PCs
By Matt Hanson a day ago
Was only released on October 13
https://www.techradar.com/news/disastro ... g-some-pcs
wander

Post by wander »

In Windows 10, it seems you don't have a choice if you want or don't want to send diagnostic data to Microsoft. It seems to send data to Microsoft by default. You have a choice to send more.
Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 »

wander wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:02 pm In Windows 10, it seems you don't have a choice if you want or don't want to send diagnostic data to Microsoft. It seems to send data to Microsoft by default. You have a choice to send more.
There has been a privacy study that indicates that Windows will send out data hundreds if not thousands of times per day regardless of the settings you choose.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

I can't believe I am posting here. Being techo-challenged, I feel so inadequate.

Anyway, I have a Dell Windows XP laptop. Before sending it to landfill, i 'd like to see if I can learn some Linux with it.

Is it too too old? If not, what would be a lightweight version that you think might work?

Thank you!
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Faith20879 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:01 pm I can't believe I am posting here. Being techo-challenged, I feel so inadequate.

Anyway, I have a Dell Windows XP laptop. Before sending it to landfill, i 'd like to see if I can learn some Linux with it.

Is it too too old? If not, what would be a lightweight version that you think might work?

Thank you!
I'd give Main Page - Linux Mint a try. I've put it on ancient Dell laptops and it has worked reasonably well for experimenting as a 'desktop or laptop' Linux distribution. IIRC you can run it off a USB drive and/or a CD-ROM so your first try doesn't even require an install.

My main workhorse PC runs Windows 10 Pro but I've got a few older PCs that I've repurposed as servers running CentOS 7 and/or 8.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:26 pm
Faith20879 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:01 pm I can't believe I am posting here. Being techo-challenged, I feel so inadequate.

Thank you!
I'd give Main Page - Linux Mint a try. I've put it on ancient Dell laptops and it has worked reasonably well for experimenting as a 'desktop or laptop' Linux distribution. IIRC you can run it off a USB drive and/or a CD-ROM so your first try doesn't even require an install.

My main workhorse PC runs Windows 10 Pro but I've got a few older PCs that I've repurposed as servers running CentOS 7 and/or 8.
How ancient is the laptop? Model? Year? Specs? Mint fxce likely one of the main contenders, but if it's really ancient and low spec, you might try Lubuntu.

What is the processor? 32 or 64 bit?
Windows XP
Open the run dialogue box by pressing the 'Windows Key' + r type in 'cmd' then click 'OK', this will open up the command prompt.

Enter the following code then hit Enter, the first line of output will state either 64 bit or 32 bit.

wmic os get osarchitecture
https://tutonics.com/2014/11/how-to-fin ... is-64.html
BespokeBiker

Post by BespokeBiker »

Thank you!
Yes, I'd also suggest giving Linux Mint a try. However, when you select "Download" ( https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php ) on the Mint page, you'll see that the MintOS comes in 3 versions:
1. Cinnamon
2. MATE ("mah-tay", like the South American tea)
3. Xfce
You'll want Xfce, which is the most stripped-down version and the first choice for trying on old computers. I'm guessing it should run just fine.

You can work your way up (step-wise) toward Cinnamon. Cinnamon will be the slowest on your computer because it provides more Apps/widgets & desktop customization options than the other 2 -- but who knows, it may also run just fine for your needs.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

My parents get my hand me down laptops, all with Linux Mint. That's all they know, never seen Windows, or Mac.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

BespokeBiker wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:40 pm

Thank you!
Yes, I'd also suggest giving Linux Mint a try. However, when you select "Download" ( https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php ) on the Mint page, you'll see that the MintOS comes in 3 versions:
1. Cinnamon
2. MATE ("mah-tay", like the South American tea)
3. Xfce
You'll want Xfce, which is the most stripped-down version and the first choice for trying on old computers. I'm guessing it should run just fine.

You can work your way up (step-wise) toward Cinnamon. Cinnamon will be the slowest on your computer because it provides more Apps/widgets & desktop customization options than the other 2 -- but who knows, it may also run just fine for your needs.
To help, I'm using Xfce with my version of Linux (Fedora). Translation: It's like the old Windows, you'll be fine.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:19 pm How ancient is the laptop? Model? Year? Specs? Mint fxce likely one of the main contenders, but if it's really ancient and low spec, you might try Lubuntu.

Model: Dell inspiron I2600
Year: 2004ish
Processor: celeron 1200mhz
Ram 256mb
HD. 18gb
Screen 1024 x 768
Guessing it is 32 bit

Thank you!
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Faith20879 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:18 pm
inbox788 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:19 pm How ancient is the laptop? Model? Year? Specs? Mint fxce likely one of the main contenders, but if it's really ancient and low spec, you might try Lubuntu.

Ram 256mb
HD. 18gb
Screen 1024 x 768
Guessing it is 32 bit

Thank you!
Yikes! That's older than I had expected. It's about a tenth the speed of the early Chromebooks, and if you know how sluggish they are now with modern web pages, then you'll know what to expect. I don't think Mint will run and even Lubuntu probably needs more.

There are a number linux distributions that would run on such a low end system, but they're not easy or fun, and not representative of what modern linux is today. You'd be looking at very lighweight browsers. Just getting some sites to load will be success. Wikipedia should be mostly ok. Google docs, probably not. Anything video is unlike to work or work well. I wouldn't recommend bothering with it. It's learning more about linux history than how to use linux.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

My family has

4 windows PC
4 chromebooks
4 linux machines (1 pi-hole DNS server, 1 DVR server, 2 media players hooked to TV)
FL370

Post by FL370 »

Faith20879 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:18 pm Model: Dell inspiron I2600
Ram 256mb
HD. 18gb
Screen 1024 x 768
Guessing it is 32 bit

Thank you!
Probably wouldn’t bother modifying that one - a Pi would be more appropriate to play with Linux. But don’t landfill it, Best Buy will give you a gift card for it and recycle it.

I would look up DBAN though before you give it away.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Faith20879 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:18 pm

Ram 256mb
HD. 18gb
Screen 1024 x 768
Guessing it is 32 bit

Thank you!
It might be fun to try almost like a thought exercise. Slax and Puppy seem like ultra-light distributions (versions) that you could try.
Itster

Post by Itster »

I've been running Pop OS for a few months on a new Lenovo Mini (M80q). Windows is installed on the new NVMe, with Pop OS on a 5-6 year old Intel SSD that I installed from my old PC. I more frequently boot into Pop because I just enjoy using it more. I have a 23" monitor connected via HDMI and a 43" TV via DisplayPort (w/HDMI adapter connected to the TV), and PopOS handles the 2 monitor resolutions better than Windows, which surprised me. Using the TV, I do have to manually set the sound source each time I boot up, but Windows requires the same back-and-forth between the DP/HDMI and the USB out to my amp when the TV is off.

There are a few drawbacks, though. There's no native Tidal app for Linux, I just listen through the browser which doesn't support the higher Master quality. There are a few other apps I use in Windows, but I've found suitable substitutes in almost all other cases. On this machine, Pop OS does just work -- wireless, ethernet, network connectivity to my NAS ... just as well as Windows.

Several years ago, I had Manjaro installed on an older machine and ran it for about a year with no issues. However, the main developer or maintainer at the time left, and I think there was maybe 1 guy keeping it up for a little while. During that time, I installed an update that no longer worked at all, so I went back to Windows until this recent run with Pop. (To be fair, a Windows update did the same to me a year prior, which is one reason I switched to Manjaro. And all the updates Windows pushed out requiring numerous reboots meant it took forever to restore the system without a disk image). Anyway, this experience means I'll keep one dedicated disk with a Windows installation while I'm using Linux, and I'll just boot up to one or the other to keep them updated and use what I want.

On another note, I had an old Lenovo Ideapad 100S on which I installed several light distros. While they ran better than Windows 10 with such light hardware resources, once I updated them to a newer version/kernel both the wireless and sound stopped working. I scoured the message boards for hours before realizing the chip in that laptop was just not supported any longer. There was a driver for the wireless in the staging directory that simply didn't work, and some apparent solutions got into the weeds with adding device ID's and such that didn't really work. So the only way I could really keep using the laptop with Linux was to keep an older version with an older kernel and stay there. It was a real headache searching what looked like solutions just to find they didn't actually solve the issues. So, in my anecdotal opinion (IMAO) Windows is still the hardware support king, even though Linux is promoted as working better with older, resource-light hardware. There are obvious reasons for this but my post is already too long for that topic. :)
Last edited by Itster on Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Just checked distrowatch...I cannot believe what I'm seeing. #1 is MX Linux based on Debian stable + Xfce? #2 is Manjaro based on Arch? I haven't even heard of this Pop!_OS business before. Times have changed.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:20 pm Just checked distrowatch...I cannot believe what I'm seeing. #1 is MX Linux based on Debian stable + Xfce? #2 is Manjaro based on Arch? I haven't even heard of this Pop!_OS business before. Times have changed.
That's just visits to the site, no? Not actual downloads or installs from what I can tell. And even less about actual usage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... _of_linux/

Important to distinguish what is being reported and whether the information is relevant.

FWIW, I just visited those 3 distro pages and not the main ones, so added to their visit tally. Didn't go further.
notinuse

Post by notinuse »

I've been running Linux at home and at work since 1998. I have never, ever had a worm or virus.
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

livesoft wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 am Mac OS/X is close enough to Linux for me.

Windows 10 offers a Linux-like shell as part of the OS.
The Windows shell doesn’t even come close to comparing to the power of the Linux terminal. Unlikely to be relevant to someone asking this question, though.

My votes for Linux with a Windows VM via VirtualBox if you need windows-only apps.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I use Ubuntu primarily for my home PC. Mac is never an issue as tech companies provide a laptop. I also have a Windows 10 laptop for anything that requires windows, like my document scanner's software. It's a good setup to get to use a little bit of everything.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

For the Linux enthusiasts, I've been running a terminal application called "ticker".

It's easy to setup.

https://github.com/achannarasappa/ticker

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I find the Linux browsers are slower than windows ones. So I stay with windows it seems to work smoother.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

iamblessed wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:18 pm I find the Linux browsers are slower than windows ones. So I stay with windows it seems to work smoother.
Same here. I'm all for embedded Linux and server Linux but on the desktop it's never had the polish of Windows or especially Mac.

I know others will disagree but Windows is the one that, since XP, has always "just worked." Linux is the OS that sometimes randomly boots to a terminal window, forgets how to play sound, needs a convoluted terminal command to do a basic task, etc. Gnome or KDE running Firefox is sluggish compared to W10 with Edge.

I've never had a problem with malware or viruses on Windows either. I think a lot of people are just remembering Windows 98 and IE or have grossly underpowered computers.

But try both and use what you like, absolutely.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Here is how you make the decision on which OS to run.

1. Identify the applications that you want or need to run. In my case I need to run Quicken Home & Business
2. Which OS will those application run on? Quicken Home & Business only runs on Windows.
3. Now you know the OS(es) you need to run.

If I didn't need to run Quicken (and a few other Windows-only apps), I would not install Windows at all. But I do. So I install Linux (Fedora) on the PC. Then I run Vmware Workstation, and then I create a Windows vm to run Quicken which will run fine in a vm. Lightroom and other image or video editing apps won't.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

I use Linux Mint almost exclusively.
I have found that for problematic websites, using Google Chrome web browser helps.
Otherwise, I use Firefox and Brave.