Amazon Prime - Decline in Delivery Service?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Joe Jones

Amazon Prime - Decline in Delivery Service?

Post by Joe Jones »

Has anyone noticed Amazon losing it's ability to deliver as promised?

It used to be rare that packages would arrive late or be marked as delivered even though not delivered.

Now less than half of our orders arrive on schedule as promised. The delivery date is frequently marked as "delayed" and we have experienced a handful of orders marked as delivered even though, with cameras on the entry way and mailbox, no delivery has been made.

Has anyone else noticed a change?

To Amazon's credit—each time a package has been marked as delivered but was not delivered, they have refunded the purchase.

Our Prime renewal is up at the end of the month and I'm reconsidering the value.
0+2=1
jebmke

Re: Amazon Prime - Decline in Delivery Service?

Post by jebmke »

Not here. But we live about 1.5 hours from a massive AMZ distribution center.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

This has been happening to me for over a year. I would say at least 60%+ of my orders are at least a day late. I've called and complained at least 3-4 times saying that the word "guaranteed" really isn't open to interpretation. They just make excuses or apologize. The most they've ever done is extend my prime membership by 1 month, which is the equivalent to giving me like $8. Frankly, I'd rather just get the orders when they're supposed to arrive.
Last edited by DiggleRex on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

I'm not a Prime member but I've found that a lot of normal (i.e., non-Prime orders) come sooner than expected. So while that says nothing about Prime, it does say that non-Prime members don't necessarily get punished for not succumbing to Bezos' pressure tactics.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I have no problems. In fact they seemed to have reduced delivery times and increased reliability. Part of that is related to using USPS and part to running their own trucks around. I live in a metro area that probably is very easy for them to service efficiently.
dbr

Post by dbr »

azurekep wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:10 pm I'm not a Prime member but I've found that a lot of normal (i.e., non-Prime orders) come sooner than expected. So while that says nothing about Prime, it does say that non-Prime members don't necessarily get punished for not succumbing to Bezos' pressure tactics.
I have seen that also.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

I've found that they are about as good and even have Sunday delivery now. USPS is not as reliable but they are much cheaper than UPS/FedEx. I almost always use them when I ship stuff.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

jebmke wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:05 pm Not here. But we live about 1.5 hours from a massive AMZ distribution center.
It's the same for us on both counts. The last thing we had arrive late was a TV last holiday season, and that was entirely UPS's fault. Most of our routine Amazon Prime deliveries now come via Amazon logistics. A few come via USPS. A few via UPS. One (a sleeping bag) recently came via FedEx from halfway across the country. Our 50+ orders this year have all arrived on time.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

Joe Jones wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:01 pmHas anyone noticed Amazon losing it's ability to deliver as promised?
Yes. This week I had a package that didn't even ship until the day after it's "guaranteed arrival" date. Amazon's website said the not-yet-shipped package was going to arrive in the past.

The "guarantee" in this case meant they'd refund the shipping charge. Since I have Amazon Prime, that refund would be $0.00.

Not much of a guarantee!

-Marylander1
Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 »

Not for me near a large city, but when I send stuff to my kid in a college town it happens a lot.
ram

Post by ram »

Yes. I live in a rural area where deliveries are likely not efficient. Most are by USPS.
Ram
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

dbr wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:11 pm I have no problems. In fact they seemed to have reduced delivery times and increased reliability. Part of that is related to using USPS and part to running their own trucks around. I live in a metro area that probably is very easy for them to service efficiently.
^This. If anything, the deliveries have been even more reliable and often times, it will arrive sooner than advertised.

Cosmo
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Our local USPS delivery is fairly decent, although there is the occasional package marked as "delivered" which is actually still at the post office. Also, since I'm rarely home when USPS delivers, sometimes I'll get the piece of paper saying I have to go pick up the package at the post office, but I understand that's to avoid theft. Usually this is only when my regular mail carrier is out, as I've told the regular carrier I'll risk the theft to avoid the drive to the post office.

My recent issue with Amazon is the grocery products I used to order there just aren't in stock anymore, have huge shipping delays, or have prices just as high as going to the local store. Granted, these are niche items, but I've gone years without issues buying these particular items and now having "shipping in 1-2 months" or not available on some items.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Decline?
Nada...If anything,,
Service has gotten better. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I live in a major metropolitan area with delivery by Amazon van, guys in their cars (usually for same day sometimes as late as 9 PM), and very rarely UPS for a heavy or odd-shaped item. We order 2-3 items per week. Can't really think of a situation where something didn't arrive on the scheduled date but I do see that Prime orders placed for example on Sunday around noon are scheduled to arrive on Wednesday afternoon. The nearest Home Depot, Target, Walmart, etc. is about 15 mins from my house (30 mins during commute hours) and likewise none are along my commute route so the convenience of Amazon Prime has value. We get groceries at a military commissary that's 10 minutes from the house but otherwise seldom shop at big box retailers now. I think I've been into Target or Walmart maybe 1 time in the past 2 years?
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

multiple threads on this.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=181540

My '2 day' became typically '4 day' delivery. Was one reason I cancelled years ago.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
bcowan12

Post by bcowan12 »

I've definitely noticed the decline. It seems to be taking them longer to actually ship the things I order. 2-day shipping doesn't help much when it takes them a couple of days to get it out the door, but to be fair, they usually quote a later "expected by" date in that situation. I've learned to pay more attention during the purchase, because apparently Prime doesn't mean you'll have it in 2 days any more.

Once shipped, anything that's coming USPS has about a 30% chance of being late, while UPS, or one of the other delivery companies, is usually on time. I cringe when I see something I needed for the weekend coming USPS.

Bruce
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

No, not really. About 20 miles from a huge warehouse. Most things come that day or the next (beating estimates many times).
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Toons wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:18 pm Decline?
Nada...If anything,,
+1 Same here. My guess is that most cases are people not paying attention during the ordering process of the time to ship and are assuming the Prime item is ready to ship immediately.
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

Worse for me.

Case in point, I ordered a case for my MacBook air. Was pleasantly surprised to see that my item would arrive Sunday (today) if I ordered in the next few hours. Not that I needed it necessarily Sunday. More just curious to see that they deliver on Sundays. Well Sunday is here and there is no package.

I think it's just growing pains. Amazon is getting larger and I think their margins were much slimmer in the past. Before they were more focused on gaining market share now it's profits.

I can recall a time when Payless shoe store was hands-down the cheapest option around, 10-15 years ago. Now it's comparable to all other discount shoe stores such as famous footwear, dsw etc.

Same thing with Amazon. Deals and hot bargains are less likely to be found. Service as well is slipping.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

20 miles from 3 (!) Amazon Warehouses. In stock item takes 9 calendar days. No Prime.
I am using Walmart's free 2 day shipping more.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I have not had any problems in over a year. And that was a single item that was not sold or fulfilled by Amazon. If delivery time is critical, I try to avoid items being shipped by the third party seller. If I must go with a third party seller, I carefully review the sellers ratings. I have had to demonstrate this a few times to family members so they understand where their item is originating.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

dbr wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:11 pm
azurekep wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:10 pm I'm not a Prime member but I've found that a lot of normal (i.e., non-Prime orders) come sooner than expected. So while that says nothing about Prime, it does say that non-Prime members don't necessarily get punished for not succumbing to Bezos' pressure tactics.
I have seen that also.
My experience is that used to be the case but non-prime shipping performance has recently become very slow. I swear they hold the orders for a few days just to encourage people to become Prime members.
Galaxy8

Post by Galaxy8 »

I have noticed that the delivery speed has seemed to slow down a bit -- from about 50% a day early to now just on-time.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

i haven't noticed any decline in service.

i ordered the chromebook i'm typing this on at 10:00 am -- and it was delivered at 6:00 pm the same day. that's pretty awesome.
Compound

Post by Compound »

DiggleRex wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:06 pm This has been happening to me for over a year. I would say at least 60%+ of my orders are at least a day late. I've called and complained at least 3-4 times saying that the word "guaranteed" really isn't open to interpretation. They just make excuses or apologize. The most they've ever done is extend my prime membership by 1 month, which is the equivalent to giving me like $8. Frankly, I'd rather just get the orders when they're supposed to arrive.
Same issue here. It’s becoming quite frustrating.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

No issues here. I continue to be amazed by their efficiency :sharebeer
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Nate79 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:42 pmMy guess is that most cases are people not paying attention during the ordering process of the time to ship and are assuming the Prime item is ready to ship immediately.
Nope. We know how to read.

Delivery service varies very widely, depending on where we live. There is a real problem for some of us. And Amazon is aware of it.

I have been a Prime member since its beginning, with thousands of orders in my history. In recent years, when USPS is the shipper, on-time two-day delivery is very often a broken promise. Tracking shows a package arrived at the PO early Monday morning, but days pass and it remains both undelivered. If it's large or heavy, I'm asked to drive to town and fetch it. (No way! If it's too cumbersome for them, then it's too cumbersome for me.) USPS then "loses" a significant number of parcels. I do not experience these "late & missing" troubles with UPS or FedEx.

Here's what I've learned about the matter. Rural and small post offices have simply been overwhelmed by the national Amazon contract. They have neither the staff nor the vehicles nor the processing space to get all the parcels handled. Their crew and equipment levels are determined by local sales, not by incoming work loads and challenges. We rural denizens are frequent-flyer Amazon shoppers; we don't have nearby retail options.

I am sincerely sympathetic to the plight of postal workers in my town. Yet as an Amazon customer I expect what I've paid for and been guaranteed.

Most of the times when a package is tardy, I email Amazon; sometimes I call. Amazon, still a great customer service company, has a "courtesy" policy in place. They grant a month Prime extension (up to a full year's worth); so I'm now effectively on the pay Prime every-other-year plan. And then Amazon piles on courtesy credits of $5, $10, and $20.

When a parcel is deemed "lost" by the PO, Amazon issues a refund and overnights (via FedEx or UPS) a replacement. "Lost" packages sometimes show up later (one was three months late!); I call Amazon, and am told, "just keep it, donate it, or throw it out."

I'd really rather have my stuff just arrive as pledged, rather than play this (lucrative) "Where's My Stuff?" game. I report all incidents because I'm still hopeful for some better service in the future, and so I notify Amazon with my experiences and feedback.

CSRs have told me that Amazon is considering allowing we the customers to choose our shipper (for Amazon, not third-party, products). Because in different locales, different shippers are excellent or awful.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:42 pm 20 miles from 3 (!) Amazon Warehouses. In stock item takes 9 calendar days. No Prime.
I am using Walmart's free 2 day shipping more.
the benefit of the Walmart route (have used it too), is option for store pickup AND, if you need to return something, you can do it 'at the store'.

Shipping and dropping items at USPS or UPS to return to Amazon gets old after doing it a few times. If I never wait in another USPS line that'll be too soon.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Joe Jones wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Has anyone else noticed a change?
Biggest change for me: almost EVERYTHING we order became Subscribe and Save or "Prime Pantry". Nearly everything I would in 2 days requires me to either use a subscription which is SLOW shipping or PRIME PANTRY which has a $4.99 fee per "box"

I find very few items on Amazon worth ordering anymore
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Crimsontide wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:27 pm No issues here. I continue to be amazed by their efficiency :sharebeer
In the past year, one delivery went missing, out of at least 100. They sent replacement items overnight. I’m in northern NJ.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex »

If anything it’s gottrn faster. I often get things in one day rather than two and now they even deliver on Sundays. I think I’ve had maybe 1 missing item in ~1000 orders the past couple years.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I've seen just the opposite. Orders seem to be arriving faster than they used to. I have even seen a couple of same-day deliveries that weren't supposed to be same-day.

One factor is that the US Postal Service is delivering the majority of Amazon packages to me at this point and they now have a morning and afternoon delivery just for larger packages in addition to the regular mail delivery which tends to only include smaller packages like manilla and plastic envelopes.

USPS even delivers Amazon packages on Sunday but I don't know how many times for sure. I think just once, in the early afternoon. Got one yesterday.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Joe Jones wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:01 pm Has anyone noticed Amazon losing it's ability to deliver as promised?
I don't have Prime, but I have noticed a definite decline in quality of deliveries from Amazon. I recently ordered an Otterbox "Defender" protective shell from Amazon for my new iPhone. I placed the order on October 2; Amazon finally shipped the order on October 9.

As for actual delivery difficulties, I'm not sure all of these can be blamed on Amazon; I think a lot has to be blamed on the individual carriers.

For example, with the Otterbox order, there was some definite delay atttributable to the carrier (in this case, UPS). According to UPS's tracking data, once my package was finally shipped, it went from Houston TX to Stafford TX, back to Houston, then to Memphis, then to Nashville, then back to Memphis, then back to Nashville, then to the local UPS hub, then finally to my home.

(To add insult to injury, when I finally received the package and opened it, I found that, rather than it being my ordered Otterbox, it actually was a lady's leather wallet. So I had to go through the hoopla of returning the package to UPS and getting a refund from Amazon.)

So yes, at least to my perception, the quality of ordering and delivery from Amazon has definitely declined.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Joe Jones wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:01 pm Has anyone noticed Amazon losing it's ability to deliver as promised?
Only with 2 cases: Around Harvey but the entire city and region were impacted. Also, when Amazon Logistics is doing the delivery as they always seem to have problems delivering on time for me.
psystal

Post by psystal »

I've noticed a small decline in delivery accuracy for Prime orders. My best estimate is that 80% of our packages promised for two-day delivery arrive within two days, but the remainder arrive within 3. We moved to a more suburban neighborhood two years ago, and have found an uptick in the packages marked as delivered but not actually delivered. (Note: We have security cameras, so they aren't being stolen.) I have no idea what happens in those cases, but don't have any reason to believe our neighbors are getting them mis-delivered to their homes, as we've had them drop off regular mail that was incorrectly routed many times.

Amazon is always fantastic about handling these cases, though, and we order quite a lot. On a related note, when we order around the holidays I am always incredibly impressed with the accuracy and delivery times (it might actually improve closer to Christmas).
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Nada...If anything,,
Better for me. I have enjoyed a couple of same day deliveries. I am within 50 miles of TWO Amazon distribution warehouses, so my deliveries are great.

I've noticed Amazon has expanded their delivery fleet, as I see the white Sprinter vans all over the place, with drivers wearing Amazon polo shirts. Before I would receive deliveries in all kinds of cars and trucks; drivers were using personal vehicles.

Still happy with Amazon prime.

A side note: I received an Amazon delivery and when I signed in to my Amazon account, I noticed something new. On the page where order info can be examined, there was a picture of the Amazon package right outside my front door. I was asked on the review page if I liked getting the package picture, but I haven't responded yet.

The skeptic in me says a driver could take their "delivered" picture, then return the package to the truck. :shock:

Honestly, though, I have never had an issue with Amazon that was not resolved to my absolute satisfaction, so I'm inclined to accept the pictures of my deliveries.

I have two CDs that were sent with "explicit lyrics" when I ordered "clean lyrics" for P!NK's new CD, Beautiful Trauma. So I'll have to give away the potty-mouth editions as Amazon didn't want them returned. My granddaughters and I like her music, but I only buy the clean versions.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Monday Update:
* Two separate Amazon parcels guaranteed for today delivery.
* Both shipped via USPS.
* Both arrived at Post Office on time this morning.
* Neither left the post office; neither was delivered.
* After 8 pm, I'll send an email to Amazon expressing delay frustration.
* Amazon will contact the Postal Service, which will make it more likely parcels might deliver tomorrow or Wednesday.
* A few hours later, I'll get a reply email from Customer Service with some courtesy credits added my account.
* Arghhh!
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Flobes wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:03 pm Monday Update:
* Two separate Amazon parcels guaranteed for today delivery.
* Both shipped via USPS.
* Both arrived at Post Office on time this morning.
* Neither left the post office; neither was delivered.
* After 8 pm, I'll send an email to Amazon expressing delay frustration.
* Amazon will contact the Postal Service, which will make it more likely parcels might deliver tomorrow or Wednesday.
* A few hours later, I'll get a reply email from Customer Service with some courtesy credits added my account.
* Arghhh!
Sounds like a failure on the part of the local Post Office to me, and not under Amazon's control. Have you contacted your local Postmaster about this problem?
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Pajamas wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:38 pmSounds like a failure on the part of the local Post Office to me, and not under Amazon's control. Have you contacted your local Postmaster about this problem?
At my small town, large geographical delivery area, rural post office, the problem is the sheer volume of Amazon parcels since the massive Postal Service national contract. Many months ago, local postmistress told me, 'Amazon is killing us." (Read my post upthread about USPS chronically tardy and lost packages.) While Post office delivery is working really well for Amazon in many perhaps most communities, it's an utter failure here.

Both UPS and FedEx have better internal systems for adjusting capacity to match volume.

I think continued reliance on a vendor that demonstrably does not have the capabilities to perform is indeed Amazon's problem and under Amazon's control.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Amazon is not only overworking the USPS, it is almost singlehandedly saving it from pension and service cutbacks, privatization, etc. as well. Package delivery is where they make the money.

You should email your concerns to Amazon Executive Customer Service at jeff@amazon.com. Let them know that your packages are constantly late, ask them to review the delivery records, and tell them that you don't feel like they are living up to the Prime delivery service standards when they are using your Post Office. Be specific about the details of the delays that you see.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

We cancelled Amazon Prime and decided to use Walmart.com. They have free 2 day delivery with no yearly fee. Walmart is working extra extra hard to compete with Amazon. We also love the fact that we can pick up orders at the brick and mortar store if need be.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

lostdog wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 am We cancelled Amazon Prime and decided to use Walmart.com. They have free 2 day delivery with no yearly fee. Walmart is working extra extra hard to compete with Amazon. We also love the fact that we can pick up orders at the brick and mortar store if need be.
I did a test order from Walmart and the two day delivery was a failure as only about half the items came in two days.

Others dribbled in over the next two weeks, except for one box of several items that went missing completely. I had to get them to resend it and the original package showed up just under a month after I placed my order.

One item sent was the wrong item, two items were completely left out when the order was filled, and many items were damaged, some of them canned items that were dented so badly on the seams that I wouldn't risk using them and asked to have them replaced. The replacements were also badly dented. One liquid item in a plastic bottle cracked and leaked.

For all of that trouble, they gave me a $5 gift code for my next order. Walmart definitely needs to work on order fulfillment, packing, and delivery to compete with Amazon.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Living out here in the very rural midwest, I have found the guaranteed to arrive by dates to be extremely accurate. I have also found more and more things listed as "Prime" that list the guaranteed to arrive by date further out than two days. I always double check that before clicking that submit order button if I need something in two days or less.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Nada...If anything,,
+1
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
miketheboglehead

Post by miketheboglehead »

Definitely decreased service with many late deliveries over the past year. Absolutely geography specific. I blame the local USPS. Tracking reveals that many of our shipments are transferred to local usps for final sorting and then not delivered for a day or two later, making packages a day or two late... many times listed as Out For Delivery when not the case, as well
mouses

Post by mouses »

It takes 3-4 weeks for Amazon non-prime orders to get to me. Yet Jet somehow manages to deliver price competitive orders in 2-3 days. I rarely order from Amazon any more.
mouses

Post by mouses »

miketheboglehead wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:30 pm Definitely decreased service with many late deliveries over the past year. Absolutely geography specific. I blame the local USPS. Tracking reveals that many of our shipments are transferred to local usps for final sorting and then not delivered for a day or two later, making packages a day or two late... many times listed as Out For Delivery when not the case, as well
I really can't imagine one would expect same day or next day service from the USPS, given that amazon probably does not deliver to the local distribution point, but to a main hub. And that does not explain the weeks of slow delay I saw before I stopped ordering from them.
Topic Author
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

lostdog wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 am We cancelled Amazon Prime and decided to use Walmart.com. They have free 2 day delivery with no yearly fee. Walmart is working extra extra hard to compete with Amazon. We also love the fact that we can pick up orders at the brick and mortar store if need be.
We're going to try this. We'll still order from Amazon, just pass on the Prime membership.
Amazon offers free shipping regardless and there aren't many things we NEED within 2 days...
especially if they aren't coming through.

The time we spent on the phone to customer service is where the value plummeted.
0+2=1
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

We live 20 mins from a major Amazon DC. I have definitely noticed issues in the last 6 months. Mostly, it is the 2 day deiveries taking 3-4 days....not a huge issue but still annoying.