What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Workaholic

Re: What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon?

Post by Workaholic »

Woodford Reserve without a doubt! I'm more of a Jack Daniels man personally but always enjoy a glass of Woodford Reserve on the rocks on a cold winter's night.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

2marshmallow wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:48 pm
Whistle Pig (not reasonably priced)

2marshmallow
I've not tried their bourbon (do they have one?) but am fan of their rye, also not reasonably priced. I actually saw a bottle of their "boss hog" at a liquor store and jokingly told the mrs I wanted a bottle, she couldn't believe the price.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Probably known by all, but be careful ordering a pour at a bar without asking the price. DW took me out for dinner at a place that specialized in craft cocktails and bourbon. They had at least three different Whistle Pig Rye bottles at the bar. When we sat down to eat and asked for a listing for round two, I saw that it was about $23. Thankfully I had pointed to the least expensive one as the the most expense Whistle Pig was over $60.

Taz
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
misgnomer

Post by misgnomer »

Michter’s
Belle Meade sour mash
Angel’s Envy
1.75L bottle of Bulleit at Costco is a good deal
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Dead Man Walking wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:36 pm I can’t believe that my post has survived for over 3 years! I’m working my way through the suggestions of my fellow Bogleheads. You are connoisseurs of traditional American spirits. Of course, some might say that white lighting is the traditional American booze. I can’t argue with that point of view since some of my ancestors distilled their own spirits.

DMW
White lightnin’s still the biggest thrill of all.
rob

Post by rob »

skor99 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:15 pm Angel’s envy is really good - available at times at Costco for a great price
Second Angel's envy but it's been hard to find in these parts and I've never seen it at Costco. Monkey Shoulder is also pretty good for about 1/2 the price.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:29 pm
Dead Man Walking wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:36 pm I can’t believe that my post has survived for over 3 years! I’m working my way through the suggestions of my fellow Bogleheads. You are connoisseurs of traditional American spirits. Of course, some might say that white lighting is the traditional American booze. I can’t argue with that point of view since some of my ancestors distilled their own spirits.

DMW
White lightnin’s still the biggest thrill of all.
Are you from Muscogee? :wink:

Currently in my liquor cabinet, among others, but probably the first to need replinishment:
Basil Hayden
Angel's Envy
Maker's Mark
IrishPotofGold63

Post by IrishPotofGold63 »

MrMoneySmith wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:06 pm Kirkland Signature Single Barrel @ Costco = Delicious Value
I have heard good things about this bourbon - will look to try
Everybody have fun tonight....everybody Wang Chung tonight (Wang Chung)
Calico

Post by Calico »

Oh no! I wish I knew about this thread before I bought my boyfriend his Christmas gift. He likes bourbon but I can never remember all the names he mentioned except Pappy Van Winkle (and that's only because it's extremely expensive and he's never bought it) and Angel's Envy. I can't afford the Pappy Van Winkle and he already has Angel's Envy, so I did some online research and got him a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style. I had to special order it too, it wasn't on shelves anywhere. I thought it was interesting because it's supposed to be good based on reviews and it's an historical recipe (he likes history too).

Is Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style a good one? I know the reviews said it was, but I sometimes wonder if those are paid advertisements. If not, it's not too late to change things up. I don't know what I would get him. He likes that Angel's Envy, but I don't want to get him something he already has. The fun of a gift like this is to try something new he'd never buy for himself.
I am a mere Boglehead apprentice... even after all these years.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:48 am
PowderDay9 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:21 am
iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:57 pm
PowderDay9 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:18 pm Woodford is way overpriced and quality is just average. Same for Makers. I was surprised so many people mentioned it on this thread. I'd much rather drink Larceny at this price point for a wheated bourbon. Basil Hayden's is watered down to 80 proof. The other Beam small batches are much better quality. I do like Bulleit but it's just a bit expensive in my state. I'd buy it more regularly if it was $35 per 1.75L.
It's all subjective anyways.

I'm not too worried about eliminating biases with blind tests and don't keep notes or drink often enough to go through a wide variety or make close comparisons, but Woodford Reserve has been my favorite so far from loose comparisons.

I find Maker's Mark distinctive enough that I prefer to think of it almost as its own category of whiskey and not compare it to most other bourbons. I would expect it to be a love it or hate it type of product. Personally, sometimes I'm really in the mood for that flavor, but most of the time I prefer something else. I've never liked mixed drinks with Maker's Mark.
I agree it's subjective just as judging the quality of other things like food, wine, beer, etc. However there are a lot of people really into bourbon and if you dig into the forums, review websites, youtube channels, etc, there is a pretty good consensus of what is worth the money and what isn't. The brands that advertise a lot have to pay for that somehow.

Makers is only distinctive in that out of the best selling mass bourbons, it uses wheat not rye. Just because something sells a lot doesn't mean it's really good. Just look at bud light. :D
The only person's opinion who matters when it comes to food and drink is your own. I couldn't care less what so-called bourbon experts online think is overrated or not. Is Basil Hayden's watered down and a bad value? I don't give a rip...I really enjoy drinking it. I'd much rather try a bunch of bourbon and make up my own mind that read someone else's opinion (this goes for more than just bourbon...as a society we are FAR too wrapped up in making sure we get the most highly rated "thing" that we fail to remember it should be about what WE want, not what the masses want).
Fully agree. Drink what you like and who cares what someone else thinks.
What we do when we buy liquor is buy a couple of bottles of what we like and one bottle of something new. Every so often we learn about something new and it becomes a regular in our house.

So, how do we learn about something new to try? Talking to friends, recommendations on forums, store employees, and the youtube bloggers.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Calico wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:40 am I did some online research and got him a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style. I had to special order it too, it wasn't on shelves anywhere. I thought it was interesting because it's supposed to be good based on reviews and it's an historical recipe (he likes history too).
This alone makes it a great gift - i.e., you can’t get this anywhere but I got it for you and I think you’d like it. That’s so much better than he likes X, you bought him X, Merry Christmas. To me, half the fun is trying something new. Even if it’s not his favorite, he can always use it to make Manhattans.
40 Years' Gatherin's

Post by 40 Years' Gatherin's »

Maker's 46 is my go-to. I love Buffalo Trace too, if I can find it.
Calico

Post by Calico »

Kenkat wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:43 am
Calico wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:40 am I did some online research and got him a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style. I had to special order it too, it wasn't on shelves anywhere. I thought it was interesting because it's supposed to be good based on reviews and it's an historical recipe (he likes history too).
This alone makes it a great gift - i.e., you can’t get this anywhere but I got it for you and I think you’d like it. That’s so much better than he likes X, you bought him X, Merry Christmas. To me, half the fun is trying something new. Even if it’s not his favorite, he can always use it to make Manhattans.
That's what I was thinking too. It's something new for him to try that's not really easy to find. But I am also anxious that I spent a lot of money on a gift that might not be good. But maybe it will introduce him to another brand that might be a new favorite. It's a bit of a gamble and I am not a gambler. haha

He's so hard to shop for and he always tells me I don't need to get him anything. His other gift was a donation to St. Judes in his honor. They should be sending him a card.
I am a mere Boglehead apprentice... even after all these years.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

+1

It will be much more appreciated than would some arbitrary suggestion from this thread.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Calico wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:16 am
That's what I was thinking too. It's something new for him to try that's not really easy to find. But I am also anxious that I spent a lot of money on a gift that might not be good. But maybe it will introduce him to another brand that might be a new favorite. It's a bit of a gamble and I am not a gambler. haha

He's so hard to shop for and he always tells me I don't need to get him anything. His other gift was a donation to St. Judes in his honor. They should be sending him a card.
It’s not going to be terrible. All this “best” stuff is just personal preferences. My wife is not a big bourbon drinker but she likes Angel’s Envy and recently tried my Jefferson’s Ocean that she also thought was really good. I also recently opened a bottle of 1792 and she said she didn’t like that one as much. I didn’t either really, but I think it will make good Manhattans and I can save the others to drink straight. The excitement will be in opening and trying something new.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Finally got around to trying Evan Williams bottled-in-bond this weekend. Hard to argue with all the comments about the amazing value here. $15, 100 proof, very smooth.

I don't always drink cheap bourbon, but when I do I think it's going to be this one.
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

I have found that I tend to like the high rye bourbons more than those made with mainly corn or wheat; I would pick Knob Creek over Eagle Rare, and though it doesn't belong in this thread I love Whistlepig 10 100-proof Rye. (Though for some reason I do have a soft spot for Marker's Mark.)

Anyhow, any other high-rye bourbons to try? I do prefer a bit of aging to take the edge off. Thanks.
TSR

Post by TSR »

Calico wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:40 am Oh no! I wish I knew about this thread before I bought my boyfriend his Christmas gift. He likes bourbon but I can never remember all the names he mentioned except Pappy Van Winkle (and that's only because it's extremely expensive and he's never bought it) and Angel's Envy. I can't afford the Pappy Van Winkle and he already has Angel's Envy, so I did some online research and got him a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style. I had to special order it too, it wasn't on shelves anywhere. I thought it was interesting because it's supposed to be good based on reviews and it's an historical recipe (he likes history too).

Is Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style a good one? I know the reviews said it was, but I sometimes wonder if those are paid advertisements. If not, it's not too late to change things up. I don't know what I would get him. He likes that Angel's Envy, but I don't want to get him something he already has. The fun of a gift like this is to try something new he'd never buy for himself.
I'm skeptical of "history" when it comes to bourbon/cocktails, as a number of companies have claimed to be offering some sort of pre-prohibition product when in fact the company did not exist then. That said, I have personally had Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style and I can say a few things: (1) it is an interesting, generous, and creative gift, and (2) it tastes good if you like your whiskey pretty "hot"---i.e., it is fairly over-proofed and so it will hit a little harder than some others. I really enjoyed the bottle I tried, and I suspect your boyfriend will be very happy with the thoughtful gift.
TSR

Post by TSR »

Abe wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:44 am Memory flashback. Back in my younger days, I would buy a half pint of Early Times, then stop at the local gas station and get an ice cold coke out of the drink machine out front. Then I would pour a little of the coke out of the bottle and pour a little of the Early Times in and drink it right out of the coke bottle. Back then the coke bottles were 6.5 oz. thick heavy glass bottles. Very tasty on a hot summer night.
I'm wondering if you've ever read Suttree by Cormac McCarthy. It's a funny, depressing, semi-autobiographical novel about Knoxville in the 50s. With apologies for the salty language (censored for the sensitive bogleheads), here's his description of your drink of choice:

g*dd*mn. what is this s***?
early times, called j-bone. best little old drink they is. drink that and you wont feel a thing the next mornin.
or any morning.
whoo lord, give it here. hello early, come to your old daddy.
here, pour some of it in this cup and let me cut it with coca-cola.
can't do it, bud.
why not?
we done tried it. it eats the bottom out.
watch it suttree. don't spill none on your shoes

lord honey i know they make that old splo in the bathtub but this here is made in the toilet. he was looking at the bottle, shaking it. bubbles the size of gooseshot veered greasily up through the smoky fuel it held.

the last time i drank some of that s*** i like to died. i stunk from the inside out. i laid in a tub of hot water all day and climbed out and dried and you could still smell it. i had to burn my clothes.

early times, he called. make your liver quiver.
Van

Post by Van »

Jack Daniels

I know, I know some of you purists will say it is a Tennessee whiskey and not a bourbon. However, they are both 51% corn and the rest rye, barley and wheat. Both are aged in barrels etc.

I like Makers Mark also, and I don't see a big difference with Jack. Enlighten me.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

mak1277 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:18 am Finally got around to trying Evan Williams bottled-in-bond this weekend. Hard to argue with all the comments about the amazing value here. $15, 100 proof, very smooth.

I don't always drink cheap bourbon, but when I do I think it's going to be this one.
That's awesome. Love EWBiB.

I was at the grocery store this weekend and saw it on clearance for $24 (1.75L) with only 1 bottle left. I couldn't resist buying it. I hope that doesn't mean they'll stop carrying it. Some markets don't get EWBiB so here's to hoping it doesn't go away.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

Van wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:06 pm Jack Daniels

I know, I know some of you purists will say it is a Tennessee whiskey and not a bourbon. However, they are both 51% corn and the rest rye, barley and wheat. Both are aged in barrels etc.

I like Makers Mark also, and I don't see a big difference with Jack. Enlighten me.
Jack is charcoal filtered, KY bourbon isn’t.
Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 »

This has been mentioned a few posts ago, or hinted at several times in the last few posts, but I think a lot of it boils down to how much rye is in the mashbill. This seems, to me at least, what differentiates different bourbons, in terms of the ones I like or am in the mood for.

As is well established, bourbon has to be had least 51% corn. The remaining 49% falls to the distiller, usually consisting of wheat and rye, and barley to a lesser extent.

If I recall correctly, Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are pretty low rye; Maker's Mark, as another example, allegedly has next to no rye in its mash. Four Roses and Bulleit, in contrast, are high rye.

Just in case I'm adding very little to the discussion, many enjoyable bourbons have been mentioned here. Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are both available where I live, reasonably priced, and very good. But I also have bottles of Knob Creek and Bulleit, and often find myself wanting to enjoy something spicier and more aggressively bourbon.

What I find myself coming back to are two in particular -- Old Forester 100, and Four Roses (standard yellow label), both less than $30. Wild Turkey 101 is also a contender -- it's not particularly smooth, and probably not what you'll pull out to impress company, but it's good value and flavorful. Once upon a time I thought it was pretty good...
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

mak1277 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:18 am Finally got around to trying Evan Williams bottled-in-bond this weekend. Hard to argue with all the comments about the amazing value here. $15, 100 proof, very smooth.

I like having it around because no guilt mixing it, but still good enough as a cheap one to drink neat.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

blastoff wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:24 pm

I like having it around because no guilt mixing it, but still good enough as a cheap one to drink neat.
I've only had about 4 glasses of it, but I am ready to say I like it better than Woodford, Bulleit and Knob Creek before even considering the price.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:14 am
PowderDay9 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:17 am Here's to hoping Evan Williams BiB never substantially increases their price. Best kept secret in bourbon!
Supposedly the best kept secret in bourbon is Heaven Hill 6yrs bottled in bond. It's the same juice as the Evan Williams bonded but with two more years of aging. But alas, they only sell it in Kentucky.
Just found out they stopped selling the HH BiB last year. They rebranded it, made it 7 years and are selling it in several states now. Price jumped from the low teens to $40. :shock:

Looks like they still have the 6 year green label at 90 proof in KY for about $12. Sad that the BiB is gone though!
GCD

Post by GCD »

I've gotta throw in another vote for Larceny. I must be a barbarian or something. I prefer it at $30ish a bottle to the $100+ stuff.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

PowderDay9 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:32 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:14 am
PowderDay9 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:17 am Here's to hoping Evan Williams BiB never substantially increases their price. Best kept secret in bourbon!
Supposedly the best kept secret in bourbon is Heaven Hill 6yrs bottled in bond. It's the same juice as the Evan Williams bonded but with two more years of aging. But alas, they only sell it in Kentucky.
Just found out they stopped selling the HH BiB last year. They rebranded it, made it 7 years and are selling it in several states now. Price jumped from the low teens to $40. :shock:

Looks like they still have the 6 year green label at 90 proof in KY for about $12. Sad that the BiB is gone though!
This is what they did to Pikesville Rye a few years ago. Changed it from a budget product to a high end product.
dardeninvestor

Post by dardeninvestor »

In the pandemic, we have been experimenting quite a bit with cocktails. I have traditionally used Wild Turkey (pre-Pandemic), but have settled on these:

Buffalo Trace in a Whiskey Sour or Old Fashioned
Eagle Rare in a Lion's Tail or Paper Plane
High West DR in a Manhattan
Buffalo Trace in a Bourbon & Ginger (with Blenheim hot ginger ale).
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Reviving a bit of an older thread here. Anybody else having a hard time finding some bourbons that really aren't even that high end. I can't find Buffalo Trace or Michter's Sour Mash anywhere. I'm not trying to buy a bottle of Pappy (or even Weller) here. :D
Fidelity1977

Post by Fidelity1977 »

Weller Special Reserve
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

Taz wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:51 pm Probably known by all, but be careful ordering a pour at a bar without asking the price. DW took me out for dinner at a place that specialized in craft cocktails and bourbon. They had at least three different Whistle Pig Rye bottles at the bar. When we sat down to eat and asked for a listing for round two, I saw that it was about $23. Thankfully I had pointed to the least expensive one as the the most expense Whistle Pig was over $60.

Taz
+1 on this. My wife ordered a glass of a Michter's that we had not seen before. The bartender said nothing, and the bottle was not even on a top shelf. $135 later we learned our lesson.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

topper1296 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:01 pm Reviving a bit of an older thread here. Anybody else having a hard time finding some bourbons that really aren't even that high end. I can't find Buffalo Trace or Michter's Sour Mash anywhere. I'm not trying to buy a bottle of Pappy (or even Weller) here. :D
I usually get Michter's Straight Bourbon, which I haven't had a hard time finding, rather than the Sour Mash. I haven't really been looking for Buffalo Trace, but I know I've seen it recently. The main one I've had a hard time finding is Eagle Rare - haven't seen a bottle in my area in well over a year and I look every time I'm in a liquor store. I'm pissed everyone else figured out how good this one is - it entered my regular rotation 9 or 10 years ago. I was in a liquor store in NY recently and they had a full shelf of it. In hindsight, I should have seen if they had a shipping box and bought them out and checked the box for my flight home.

On the plus side, with the increased popularity of Bourbon in recent years, there are a lot more good options out there than there were 10 years ago.
And thankfully, Angel's Envy still seems pretty easy to find.
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

Polymath wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:11 pm Buffalo Trace.
+1 and Old ezra
Thanks!
Randolph Mortimer

Post by Randolph Mortimer »

If we are talking reasonably priced and available everywhere all the time, then Elijah Craig Small Batch. Best value in all of bourbon, imo. I've been drinking this one for a while and cant go back to Makers Mark/Makers 46/Buffalo Trace or other similarly priced bourbons.

Knob Creek 9 year is a close second, but slightly more expensive (at least around here).
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Currently, it is Bob Dylan's Heaven's Door and Four Roses, small batch. The former is not only suitable to drink but has his house gate on the label, if you are familiar with his history. The latter was first purchased as a recommended one at a local, large store that carries more than 100 different bourbon varieties. This was an employee choice made independent of price.

Tim
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Randolph Mortimer wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:17 am If we are talking reasonably priced and available everywhere all the time, then Elijah Craig Small Batch. Best value in all of bourbon, imo. I've been drinking this one for a while and cant go back to Makers Mark/Makers 46/Buffalo Trace or other similarly priced bourbons.

Knob Creek 9 year is a close second, but slightly more expensive (at least around here).
Knob Creek is our go to bottle in the 1.75L size. Good value although lately I have had a hard time finding the 1.75 and have been buying the .75 instead. I will give Elijah a try. I know I have had it before though I don't remember it. Based on your post above, we have a very similar taste.
Last edited by EnjoyIt on Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
JayDee37

Post by JayDee37 »

We like Bulleit, mostly in cocktails. :beer
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? | ~Mary Oliver
Harri88

Post by Harri88 »

I like Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek. Woodford Double Oaked is a bit more expensive but really good.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ That's what I'm drinking now - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.

It's Friday the 13th, a good a day as any to celebrate. I'll double-check your opinion with mine later on tonight. :beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Four Roses Single Barrel, about $33 hereabouts.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Bulleit is my official house bourbon (the one I have decided to always have on hand). The Costco bottle is great--absurdly large and the same price as the smaller liquor store bottle.
Basil Hayden's
Straight Edge and Slaughterhouse--blend of KY and TN bourbons aged 5-7 years then finished in oak barrels that used to house cabernet sauvignon, for another 4-5 months
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Makers 46
Makers
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

This winter and spring I rotated through a number of 90 proof bourbons (Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses Small Batch, Larceny, Russell Reserve, and Woodford Reserve). All were good. Each time I poured a glass of one I also poured a swallow or two of another so I could do repeated side-by-side comparisons. When I started the rotation I assumed I would like Eagle Rare and Russell Reserve the best because of their ten years of age, but when all the bottles were empty I concluded that, at least for the moment, I prefer the Four Roses Small Batch (with no age statement) to all the others. I'm taking a bourbon break for the summer, but this fall I'll do another rotation, perhaps with some 100 proof bourbons.
Harri88

Post by Harri88 »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:29 pm ^^^ That's what I'm drinking now - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.

It's Friday the 13th, a good a day as any to celebrate. I'll double-check your opinion with mine later on tonight. :beer
I polished the Double Oaked off tonight, there was only enough for 1 stiff drink. I have not done a review of liquor before so not sure how to describe it; other than to say, I really like Double Oaked flavor. I find it pleasing and relatively smooth, and I would highly recommend this bourbon.

It does come at a premium at 55 a bottle vs 33 for Woodford. Going forward, I would save the Double Oaked for Special occasions like Friday the 13th, and I would make the Reserve my go to. Note, I dont drink hard liquor straight, I need a little mixer to take the edge off, so the full flavor gets masked somewhat.

Another bourbon that I like, but not as well as Woodford is Knob Creek 9 year old. I'll need to buy several bottles of different brands and have a taste off, but when you find something that works why change ha.
waterwell

Post by waterwell »

Jefferson’s small batch

Four roses small batch - Costco sells it at a discount.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

topper1296 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:01 pm Reviving a bit of an older thread here. Anybody else having a hard time finding some bourbons that really aren't even that high end. I can't find Buffalo Trace or Michter's Sour Mash anywhere. I'm not trying to buy a bottle of Pappy (or even Weller) here. :D
Yes. I haven’t seen Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare for example for a long time. I was able to pick up a couple of bottles of Weller Special Reserve around the holidays but haven’t seen it since. I can get some others mentioned here but certain brands get popular and that’s it, can’t get them. Luckily there are always new bourbons to try. :beer
hudson

Post by hudson »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:29 pm ^^^ That's what I'm drinking now - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.

I've visited with different sets of old friends, once in March and once in August. On both occasions, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked was presented as special bourbon. I checked the price; it was $60 for .75L. It was a great coincidence. It sipped well.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes, it sipped well. I would describe it as a complex taste with toasty vanilla and caramel. There's some underlying fruitiness as well.

In PA, it's $60 for 0.75 L.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Any recommendations for cherries? I usually get Luxardos from Amazon for about $23 / jar but wonder if there’s something else I should try.

Also, I often find myself going back to Irish (Jameson) after trying out different bourbons. I find it smooth and sweat and a great price. But any recommendations for trying something different or a step up?