What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
carolc

Re: What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon?

Post by carolc »

Knob creek for mixed drinks.
Barrel when it’s by itself.

carolc
GT99

Post by GT99 »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:26 am
Everyone has their "outlier" for which they don't understand the hype. Mine is Bulleit. Everyone seems to rave about it (although I know you're not doing that based on your comment), but I just find it average at best and can't imagine every buying it again (because, as you said, there's so much better out there). I'd rather just have a bottle of Beam or Beam Black or Wild Turkey or .. or .. or ... on hand to serve guests that don't deserve the expensive stuff.
It's kind of funny you say that, because I've recently realized I don't enjoy Bulleit as much as I once did. When it first came out, I was a big fan. I don't know if my tastes have changed or if Bulleit has changed, but when switching from one of the others I listed to Bulleit towards the end of the night, it's disappointing (even a few drinks in). But the 1.75L is cheap at Costco. And I think I do still like it more than Beam and Wild Turkey...although it's been a few years since I've had either, so who knows.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I'm going to define this as $35 bucks and under for 750 ml.

Wild Turkey 101 is just good at any price, but one of the cheap ones. An anomaly.

Woodford Reserve is an everyday drinker, but not a pinky lifter, purchasable at any gas station so you can keep the trip going (just kidding).

I'll drink almost anything high rye regardless of price. People around me may be gagging, but I'm sipping with a smile.

I just picked up a bottle of Kirkland Bourbon. It was made one state too far south. Whatever. It's in my basement waiting to get in my belly.
MrMoneySmith

Post by MrMoneySmith »

Kirkland Signature Single Barrel @ Costco = Delicious Value
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

MrMoneySmith wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:06 pm Kirkland Signature Single Barrel @ Costco = Delicious Value
I'm not sure about that. I find it hard to buy when they've got Woodford right next to it. The price isn't great for one liter IMO.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

SueG5123 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:22 am
I'm relatively certain that most Kentuckians feel that way, but the bourbon laws only geographic requirement is that it be made in the United States.

So there can actually be a Texas bourbon, though I understand that Kentuckians may view it the way Texans view Kentucky barbecue. :D
Your link didn’t work, so “bourbon laws” remain a mystery.

However, bourbon must be at least 51% corn and use the limestone water that Kentucky has in abundance. Perhaps I’ve missed all the caves in Texas (I’ve lived here for over two decades), or perhaps Texas imports limestone water???

Having tried Texas barbecue, I can only commend the stuff that comes from my husbands smoker... or from Memphis...
Decent info on definition of bourbon based on U.S. law From Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey
Taz

Post by Taz »

Osterix wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:56 am
Taz wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:34 pm
wfrobinette wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:04 pm Never met a regional BBQ I didn't like.
You might have to reconsider that statement if you ever try Alabama white BBQ sauce.
Alabama white sauce is amazing!
Tried it twice. Must be an acquired taste. The second time I ended up using it to make coleslaw which was ok.

To bring this back to bourbon, has anyone tried any of the Clyde May's brand?
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

Hudson Baby Bourbon.
Bratbill

Post by Bratbill »

Found a Driftless Glen Bourbon Whiskey at local Costco today.
It’s made nearby in Wi so not sure how wide spread availability is?
Whiskey advocate rates it. 90.
Anyone find any unique options in Chicago area lately?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

whodidntante wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:58 pm I'm going to define this as $35 bucks and under for 750 ml.

Wild Turkey 101 is just good at any price, but one of the cheap ones. An anomaly.

Woodford Reserve is an everyday drinker, but not a pinky lifter, purchasable at any gas station so you can keep the trip going (just kidding).

I'll drink almost anything high rye regardless of price. People around me may be gagging, but I'm sipping with a smile.

I just picked up a bottle of Kirkland Bourbon. It was made one state too far south. Whatever. It's in my basement waiting to get in my belly.
High rye rocks. For the last decade American bourbon drinkers have been captivated by the sweet-tasting wheated bourbons like Van Winkle, Old Weller, Old Fitzgerald, Makers Mark, Larceny, Rebel Yell, etc. If I'm going to deviate from the mainstream mash bill, it will be in the direction of a spicy high rye bourbon like Old Grandad, Four Roses, or Bulleit.
KA0400

Post by KA0400 »

My local Costco has Wild Turkey Rare Breed back in stock, limit 1, for $39.99, $10 less than last year. Solid especially at this years price.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Buffalo Trace and 1776 are some of the best I have found and under $25, however I prefer single malt scotch...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture »

I live relatively close to Garrison Brothers Distillery so currently working on a Balmorhea, with a Laguna on deck!
LaborDoc

Post by LaborDoc »

Just picked up a bottle of Wellers special reserve and Wellers antique 107. $78 total.

Very happy with the buy
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

I love:
Wild Turkey 101 750ml (Trader Joe's has it at a good price)
Knob Creek 1.75 L (It is available from time to time at my Costco)
Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond (I know, not a bourbon but just had to throw it in)
I want to try Old Grandad Bottled in Bond, actually one of these days I want to get friends together for a Bottled in Bond tasting, including some Laird's bonded apple brandy.

My fancy shelf is:
Booker's
Old Forester 1920 Prohibition
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
skor99

Post by skor99 »

Angel’s envy is really good - available at times at Costco for a great price
Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 »

Fun thread. Sad to see so many good value bourbons hard to get. I’m no aficionado. If I had to choose one, it would be woodford in 1.75. Good value and it has always been available for me. Some of my favs have been the four roses single barrel, wild turkey rare breed but now they are about $40 so I wouldn’t call them budget. Willett in 1.75 is great too, but the big fancy bottle is a little embarrassing.

Some of the Texas ones are great too, garrison and balcones, but I’d rather choose two other $30-$40 bottles than those.

I’m taking notes for others so keep them coming.
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

Jim Beam Honey. Evan Williams Honey as a close second.
VTI and chill until 57...
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

Very informative thread. I recently became interested in bourbon and while researching it this thread popped up. I started with Maker’s and find it a nice bourbon for making a manhattan and old fashioned. Look forward to trying some of the more popular ones on ice or with a little water. I noticed that Costco has an impressive selection of bourbon so I’ll probably start there.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

Lots of really good values in bourbon. If you do blind taste tests you might be surprised by some of the lower priced 100ish proof bourbons. Price can vary substantially by state or store though. I'll include the common sale prices I find.

Best value overall...
Wild Turkey 101 ($30 1.75L)
Evan Williams White ($25 1.75L)

If I'm going to spend a little more...
Knob Creek ($40 1.75L)
Buffalo Trace ($45 1.75L) but hard to find the last few years

Next step up. These are only slightly better...
Elijah Craig ($25 750ml)
Four Roses Small Batch ($25 750ml)

My most overrated list in order...
1. Woodford Reserve ($55 1.75L)
2. Makers Mark ($40 1.75L)
3. Basil Hayden's ($35 750ml)
4. Bulleit ($45 1.75L)

Woodford is way overpriced and quality is just average. Same for Makers. I was surprised so many people mentioned it on this thread. I'd much rather drink Larceny at this price point for a wheated bourbon. Basil Hayden's is watered down to 80 proof. The other Beam small batches are much better quality. I do like Bulleit but it's just a bit expensive in my state. I'd buy it more regularly if it was $35 per 1.75L.

:sharebeer
Last edited by PowderDay9 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

PowderDay9 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:18 pm Lots of really good values in bourbon. If you do blind taste tests you might be surprised by some of the lower priced 100ish proof bourbons. Price can vary substantially by state or store though. I'll include the common sale prices I find.

Best value overall...
Wild Turkey 101 ($30 1.75L)
Evan Williams White ($25 1.75L)

If I'm going to spend a little more...
Knob Creek ($40 1.75L)
Buffalo Trace ($45 1.75) but hard to find the last few years

Next step up. These are only slightly better...
Elijah Craig ($25 750ml)
Four Roses Small Batch ($25 750ml)

My most overrated list in order...
1. Woodford Reserve ($55 1.75L)
2. Makers Mark ($40 1.75L)
3. Basil Hayden's ($35 750ml)
4. Bullet ($45 1.75L)

Woodford is way overpriced and quality is just average. Same for Makers. I was surprised so many people mentioned it on this thread. I'd much rather drink Larceny at this price point for a wheated bourbon. Basil Hayden's is watered down to 80 proof. The other Beam small batches are much better quality. I do like Bulliet but it's just a bit expensive in my state. I'd buy it more regularly if it was $35 per 1.75L.

:sharebeer
I certainly wish I could buy any of the bourbons on your list at the prices you posted. Everything is at least 30-40% more expensive where I am (e.g., Bulleit is $32 for 750ML).
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

I remember when Blanton's could have been a part of this list ... certainly on the higher end of prices, but quite good and around $40. Today of course forget it ($100 and up if available).

I also bought two bottles of Black Maple Hill bourbon a few years ago for $45 or so. Drank one, and now I see the other may be worth $1000. Perhaps my best investment. :happy
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

I drink bourbon neat with no ice. I've purchased some expensive bourbons and received some as gifts. To date, Four Roses Small Batch is my favorite. It is reasonably priced and has great flavor. I'm open to suggestions and criticism from my fellow Bogleheads. What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon?

DMW

My wife recently arrived home from Costco with a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon. I pointed out that she was supposed to get the Rye because that's what we make Manhattans with (good potential for another thread). Bulleit Rye and Bourbon look exactly the same except for different color labels. After falling on her sword and other related histrionics, I assured her there are worse things in the world than having an extra bottle of Bourbon on the shelf. Then I tried it and it's not bad! It's an easy sipper. At $33 for 1.75L, it certainly qualifies as reasonably priced.

My current favorites are

Angel's Envy
Blanton's
Whistle Pig (not reasonably priced)

And my favorite whisky of all, lately: Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky. OK, not Bourbon, but darn good!

2marshmallow
DurangoWino

Post by DurangoWino »

Maker’s Mark makes the best Old Fashions. I see Angel’s Envy also mentioned and it is #2 for me. If you like Manhattans and OFs you just cannot go wrong with either.
Last edited by DurangoWino on Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I'm two glasses into a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed purchased at Costco. It's just excellent and the price is not horrific. I will be buying more. I recommend rocks or a bit of water though. Barrel Proof is a bit beyond what I'd want to drink.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

PowderDay9 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:18 pm Woodford is way overpriced and quality is just average. Same for Makers. I was surprised so many people mentioned it on this thread. I'd much rather drink Larceny at this price point for a wheated bourbon. Basil Hayden's is watered down to 80 proof. The other Beam small batches are much better quality. I do like Bulleit but it's just a bit expensive in my state. I'd buy it more regularly if it was $35 per 1.75L.
It's all subjective anyways.

I'm not too worried about eliminating biases with blind tests and don't keep notes or drink often enough to go through a wide variety or make close comparisons, but Woodford Reserve has been my favorite so far from loose comparisons.

I find Maker's Mark distinctive enough that I prefer to think of it almost as its own category of whiskey and not compare it to most other bourbons. I would expect it to be a love it or hate it type of product. Personally, sometimes I'm really in the mood for that flavor, but most of the time I prefer something else. I've never liked mixed drinks with Maker's Mark.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:57 pm
whodidntante wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:58 pm I'm going to define this as $35 bucks and under for 750 ml.

High rye rocks. For the last decade American bourbon drinkers have been captivated by the sweet-tasting wheated bourbons like Van Winkle, Old Weller, Old Fitzgerald, Makers Mark, Larceny, Rebel Yell, etc. If I'm going to deviate from the mainstream mash bill, it will be in the direction of a spicy high rye bourbon like Old Grandad, Four Roses, or Bulleit.
Woodford Reserve makes a rye whiskey you might like, although at 53% rye it doesn't qualify as bourbon.

https://www.woodfordreserve.com/whiskey/rye-whiskey/
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

jrbdmb wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:36 pm I remember when Blanton's could have been a part of this list ... certainly on the higher end of prices, but quite good and around $40. Today of course forget it ($100 and up if available).

I also bought two bottles of Black Maple Hill bourbon a few years ago for $45 or so. Drank one, and now I see the other may be worth $1000. Perhaps my best investment. :happy
I am glad someone brought up Blanton's. It is way up on my list, but have not seen it in the stores for years. I guess its because it costs $100 and rare. Too bad.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:57 pm
PowderDay9 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:18 pm Woodford is way overpriced and quality is just average. Same for Makers. I was surprised so many people mentioned it on this thread. I'd much rather drink Larceny at this price point for a wheated bourbon. Basil Hayden's is watered down to 80 proof. The other Beam small batches are much better quality. I do like Bulleit but it's just a bit expensive in my state. I'd buy it more regularly if it was $35 per 1.75L.

I'm not too worried about eliminating biases with blind tests and don't keep notes or drink often enough to go through a wide variety or make close comparisons, but Woodford Reserve has been my favorite so far from loose comparisons.

I find Maker's Mark distinctive enough that I prefer to think of it almost as its own category of whiskey and not compare it to most other bourbons. I would expect it to be a love it or hate it type of product. Personally, sometimes I'm really in the mood for that flavor, but most of the time I prefer something else. I've never liked mixed drinks with Maker's Mark.
I agree it's subjective just as judging the quality of other things like food, wine, beer, etc. However there are a lot of people really into bourbon and if you dig into the forums, review websites, youtube channels, etc, there is a pretty good consensus of what is worth the money and what isn't. The brands that advertise a lot have to pay for that somehow.

Makers is only distinctive in that out of the best selling mass bourbons, it uses wheat not rye. Just because something sells a lot doesn't mean it's really good. Just look at bud light. :D
triggertreat

Post by triggertreat »

I like mine neat and here is what I usually have on hand.

Early Times Bottled in Bond
Old Grand Dad 114

And for a rye I like

Old Forrester Rye
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

PowderDay9 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:21 am
iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:57 pm

I agree it's subjective just as judging the quality of other things like food, wine, beer, etc. However there are a lot of people really into bourbon and if you dig into the forums, review websites, youtube channels, etc, there is a pretty good consensus of what is worth the money and what isn't. The brands that advertise a lot have to pay for that somehow.

Makers is only distinctive in that out of the best selling mass bourbons, it uses wheat not rye. Just because something sells a lot doesn't mean it's really good. Just look at bud light. :D
The only person's opinion who matters when it comes to food and drink is your own. I couldn't care less what so-called bourbon experts online think is overrated or not. Is Basil Hayden's watered down and a bad value? I don't give a rip...I really enjoy drinking it. I'd much rather try a bunch of bourbon and make up my own mind that read someone else's opinion (this goes for more than just bourbon...as a society we are FAR too wrapped up in making sure we get the most highly rated "thing" that we fail to remember it should be about what WE want, not what the masses want).
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:48 am The only person's opinion who matters when it comes to food and drink is your own. I couldn't care less what so-called bourbon experts online think is overrated or not. Is Basil Hayden's watered down and a bad value? I don't give a rip...I really enjoy drinking it. I'd much rather try a bunch of bourbon and make up my own mind that read someone else's opinion (this goes for more than just bourbon...as a society we are FAR too wrapped up in making sure we get the most highly rated "thing" that we fail to remember it should be about what WE want, not what the masses want).
I agree that you have the personal freedom to do and like whatever you want. Thank goodness for that! :) I think you should be more open minded though. The whole premise of this forum is to learn from others and to get value from your investments (and other things in life) using low cost investments. Sure you can come along and say you like high cost mutual funds and a 1.5% AUM fee and that you don't give a rip what the experts like Bogle, Ferri, Taylor think. It would be hard to convince you otherwise with your statements above.
Eddiecaps1980

Post by Eddiecaps1980 »

Woodford reserve
Buffalo trace
Makers mark
Blantons - until it got too pricey
Aku09

Post by Aku09 »

Got a new bottle a few weeks ago that I really enjoy. It is $35 a bottle. Called New Riff. Very smooth.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

PowderDay9 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:29 am
mak1277 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:48 am The only person's opinion who matters when it comes to food and drink is your own. I couldn't care less what so-called bourbon experts online think is overrated or not. Is Basil Hayden's watered down and a bad value? I don't give a rip...I really enjoy drinking it. I'd much rather try a bunch of bourbon and make up my own mind that read someone else's opinion (this goes for more than just bourbon...as a society we are FAR too wrapped up in making sure we get the most highly rated "thing" that we fail to remember it should be about what WE want, not what the masses want).
I agree that you have the personal freedom to do and like whatever you want. Thank goodness for that! :) I think you should be more open minded though. The whole premise of this forum is to learn from others and to get value from your investments (and other things in life) using low cost investments. Sure you can come along and say you like high cost mutual funds and a 1.5% AUM fee and that you don't give a rip what the experts like Bogle, Ferri, Taylor think. It would be hard to convince you otherwise with your statements above.
I'm all for taking recommendations. My point was that I'm not going to stop drinking something I like just because some guy with a YouTube channel tells me it's not the best value, or not the single best bourbon, or whatever. We're not talking about money management here, we're talking about drinking whiskey. It's purely and totally about personal enjoyment. There's no award for only buying the best value bourbon, or only buying the highest rated bourbon. People are too afraid to go against popular internet opinion even if they like something.

If every bourbon expert in the world says that Bulleit is better than Basil Hayden's....ummm...who cares? I like Basil Hayden's much much more than I like Bulleit.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

LaborDoc wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:53 pm Just picked up a bottle of Wellers special reserve and Wellers antique 107. $78 total.

Very happy with the buy
I’ve had my eye out for Weller Special Reserve for awhile now; it finally showed up a couple of weeks ago in my local store. $22.99 for 750ml. Sold! And already out of stock now.
triggertreat

Post by triggertreat »

Kenkat wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:32 pm I’ve had my eye out for Weller Special Reserve for awhile now; it finally showed up a couple of weeks ago in my local store. $22.99 for 750ml. Sold! And already out of stock now.
Do you know about this? https://www.ohlq.com/. Easy way to keep up in Ohio. Not 100% accurate but close.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

Kenkat wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:32 pm
LaborDoc wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:53 pm Just picked up a bottle of Wellers special reserve and Wellers antique 107. $78 total.

Very happy with the buy
I’ve had my eye out for Weller Special Reserve for awhile now; it finally showed up a couple of weeks ago in my local store. $22.99 for 750ml. Sold! And already out of stock now.
I like Weller 107 a lot, and Weller Full Proof even more. I have a store pick full proof that may be the best bourbon I’ve had outside of William Larue Weller.

I don’t like special reserve, and feel like Weller 12 is just OK.

I’d rather have EHTaylor Small Batch over any of them.

The Bakers 107 release from beam is good and easy to find.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

Makers Mark. :thumbsup
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

triggertreat wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:27 pm
Kenkat wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:32 pm I’ve had my eye out for Weller Special Reserve for awhile now; it finally showed up a couple of weeks ago in my local store. $22.99 for 750ml. Sold! And already out of stock now.
Do you know about this? https://www.ohlq.com/. Easy way to keep up in Ohio. Not 100% accurate but close.
I did not - that could come in handy - thanks!
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Still sipping Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (White Label) whenever I can find it. Best bourbon under $20 in the US. If I can't find it, I look for Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond or Wild Turkey 101. Both of them sell in the low to mid $20s.

In the good old days of the late 2000s and early 2010s, I used to drink Old Weller Antique 107 proof, Four Roses Single Barrel, Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond, Old Grand Dad 114, Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond, Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare. All of them had dramatic price increases in the late 2010s. Also, Elijah Craig lost its age statement, and Eagle Rare lost its single barrel status.
Last edited by UpperNwGuy on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

teCh0010 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:56 pm
Kenkat wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:32 pm

Very happy with the buy
I like Weller 107 a lot, and Weller Full Proof even more. I have a store pick full proof that may be the best bourbon I’ve had outside of William Larue Weller.

I don’t like special reserve, and feel like Weller 12 is just OK.

I’d rather have EHTaylor Small Batch over any of them.

The Bakers 107 release from beam is good and easy to find.
Haven’t tried the Special Reserve before and have yet to crack this bottle, so we will see what I think eventually.
Topic Author
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

I can’t believe that my post has survived for over 3 years! I’m working my way through the suggestions of my fellow Bogleheads. You are connoisseurs of traditional American spirits. Of course, some might say that white lighting is the traditional American booze. I can’t argue with that point of view since some of my ancestors distilled their own spirits.

DMW
BisterMean

Post by BisterMean »

buffalo trace. dirt cheap and can drink it neat all day!
LittleGreenSoldiers

Post by LittleGreenSoldiers »

Dead Man Walking wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:36 pm I can’t believe that my post has survived for over 3 years! I’m working my way through the suggestions of my fellow Bogleheads. You are connoisseurs of traditional American spirits. Of course, some might say that white lighting is the traditional American booze. I can’t argue with that point of view since some of my ancestors distilled their own spirits.

DMW
Read up on the story of Elijah Craig if you haven't already. Great story on one mans journey of American spirits.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:31 pm Still sipping Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (White Label) whenever I can find it. Best bourbon under $20 in the US. If I can't find it, I look for Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond or Wild Turkey 101. Both of them sell in the low to mid $20s.

In the good old days of the late 2000s and early 2010s, I used to drink Old Weller Antique 107 proof, Four Roses Single Barrel, Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond, Old Grand Dad 114, Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond, Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare. All of them had dramatic price increases in the late 2010s. Also, Elijah Craig lost its age statement, and Eagle Rare lost its single barrel status.
+1

All great suggestions. I can't find VOB BiB around me but would love to get some. Weller is really hard to find too. I stocked up on 4 bottles of Eagle Rare before they took off the single barrel label. Rumor has it that it's still a single barrel but they took it off because they don't cut off the line between barrels so technically a bottle can be a mixture of two barrels. Who knows if that's true or not.

Here's to hoping Evan Williams BiB never substantially increases their price. Best kept secret in bourbon!
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

PowderDay9 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:17 am Here's to hoping Evan Williams BiB never substantially increases their price. Best kept secret in bourbon!
Supposedly the best kept secret in bourbon is Heaven Hill 6yrs bottled in bond. It's the same juice as the Evan Williams bonded but with two more years of aging. But alas, they only sell it in Kentucky.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Memory flashback. Back in my younger days, I would buy a half pint of Early Times, then stop at the local gas station and get an ice cold coke out of the drink machine out front. Then I would pour a little of the coke out of the bottle and pour a little of the Early Times in and drink it right out of the coke bottle. Back then the coke bottles were 6.5 oz. thick heavy glass bottles. Very tasty on a hot summer night.
Last edited by Abe on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slow and steady wins the race.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:14 am
PowderDay9 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:17 am Here's to hoping Evan Williams BiB never substantially increases their price. Best kept secret in bourbon!
Supposedly the best kept secret in bourbon is Heaven Hill 6yrs bottled in bond. It's the same juice as the Evan Williams bonded but with two more years of aging. But alas, they only sell it in Kentucky.
Yes that is correct! Haha.

Next time I'm in KY, I'm planning on picking some of that up.