What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
PowderDay9

Re: What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon?

Post by PowderDay9 »

Has anyone tried the new Kirkland bourbon made by Barton 1792? They have small batch (92 proof), bottled in bond (100 proof) and a single barrel (120 proof).

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styl ... rton-1792/
40 Years' Gatherin's

Post by 40 Years' Gatherin's »

I'd like to second Maker's 46!
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Will be in Kentucky doing tours of both Buffalo Trace and Maker's Mark in a few weeks. Any suggestions?
40 Years' Gatherin's

Post by 40 Years' Gatherin's »

MDfan wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:53 pm Will be in Kentucky doing tours of both Buffalo Trace and Maker's Mark in a few weeks. Any suggestions?
If you can get some, grab as much Buffalo Trace as you can. It's become a rare find here in Ohio. :beer
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

MDfan wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:53 pm Will be in Kentucky doing tours of both Buffalo Trace and Maker's Mark in a few weeks. Any suggestions?
We did Maker's Mark a few years ago. Tour with the tasting was excellent. In the gift shop you have the opportunity to dip the neck of your own bottle into the wax if you want. We thought that was a nice touch.

We also did Woodford's and enjoyed their tour as well. We came home with purchases from both distilleries and have almost worked our way through them. Enjoy!
hudson

Post by hudson »

dbr wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:29 am George Dickel, if that counts. I am a little biased by having actually visited the distillery, which is a fun trip.
It's not labeled as bourbon. Doesn't it meet all the requirements of a bourbon?
The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits, codified under 27 CFR §5.22(b)(1)(i), states bourbon made for U.S. consumption[21] must be:
Produced in the United States and Territories (Puerto Rico) and the District of Columbia[22]
Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn[23]
Aged in new, charred oak containers[23]
Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)[23]
Entered into the container for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)[23]
Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)[24]
https://www.georgedickel.com/whisky/recipe-no-8

Bottom Line: My favorite is whatever is available. When I'm buying for me, I buy George Dickel.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:34 pm
We did Maker's Mark a few years ago. Tour with the tasting was excellent. In the gift shop you have the opportunity to dip the neck of your own bottle into the wax if you want. We thought that was a nice touch.

We also did Woodford's and enjoyed their tour as well. We came home with purchases from both distilleries and have almost worked our way through them. Enjoy!
Thanks. I've been to Woodford before but we didn't do the tour. Unfortunately, we're only going to have time for two on our way to Nashville. So we picked Buffalo Trace (because it's very hard to get and it's free) and Maker's Mark which is on the drive to Nashville.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Redemption
jaydub71

Post by jaydub71 »

I don't think I saw Legent on this thread. A friend turned me on to it. It is a collaboration between an American bourbon maker and a Japanese blender. I think it was around $40/bottle. Good stuff.

https://www.legentbourbon.com/bourbon

P.S. Bourbon snobs will say it is not a true bourbon and they are techinicaly right but I don't think most people would even know the technical difference or care in this case.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

ThankYouJack wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:26 pm Any recommendations for cherries? I usually get Luxardos from Amazon for about $23 / jar but wonder if there’s something else I should try.
My Costco has a two jar pack for $29
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

PowderDay9 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:38 pm Has anyone tried the new Kirkland bourbon made by Barton 1792? They have small batch (92 proof), bottled in bond (100 proof) and a single barrel (120 proof).

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styl ... rton-1792/
We tried the small batch (92 proof), it was ok, not something I would rave about.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

40 Years' Gatherin's wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:51 pm I'd like to second Maker's 46!
Makers 46 Cask Strength was wonderful. Wish I had pickup up several bottle and not just one. Its out of stock everywhere now as it was a limited release.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

ThankYouJack wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:26 pm Any recommendations for cherries? I usually get Luxardos from Amazon for about $23 / jar but wonder if there’s something else I should try.

Also, I often find myself going back to Irish (Jameson) after trying out different bourbons. I find it smooth and sweat and a great price. But any recommendations for trying something different or a step up?
Cherries are in season. Try some fresh cherries if your thinking of making an old fashioned. 2-3 fresh cherries muddled does the trick. I personally prefer 3.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:06 am

Also, I often find myself going back to Irish (Jameson) after trying out different bourbons. I find it smooth and sweat and a great price. But any recommendations for trying something different or a step up?
Cherries are in season. Try some fresh cherries if your thinking of making an old fashioned. 2-3 fresh cherries muddled does the trick. I personally prefer 3.
My favorite muddle is black berries with a splash of orange squeeze, blue berries are just okay. Fresh cherries are decent as well.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

retiringwhen wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:01 am
EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:06 am

My favorite muddle is black berries with a splash of orange squeeze, blue berries are just okay. Fresh cherries are decent as well.
3 muddled cherries, splash of orange bitter's, home made simple syrup from Sugar in the Raw, Orange peel, Knob Creek, and 1 large Death Star ice cube. Thats how we do it.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Chip

Post by Chip »

We've been buying these for a few years. Not as sweet as Luxardos. They require refrigeration.

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Harvest-Bo ... ads.org-20
Harri88

Post by Harri88 »

Makers Mark 46 tonight. Very tasty. I enjoy regular Markers Make too.
ItzaHoot

Post by ItzaHoot »

For sipping and/or sharing that's affordable, Woodford reserve, Maker's Mark, and Costco's Kirkland small batch are all good choices.

If you're mixing or setting up for a party for a crowd, I'd go with Jim Beam or Evan Williams. Probably not the Evan bottled in bond since many will miss the higher proof and get drunk faster and possibly obnoxious.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Traditional bourbon drinkers may balk but BSB Brown Sugar Bourbon is very smooth and a little sweet and easy sipping even if you are not much of a straight whiskey drinker.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Running Bum

Post by Running Bum »

Angel's Envy if I want a smooth sipper, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit if I want something with some zing. Of course there are higher end bourbons that are even better. I don't have any Pappy but I do have Van Winkle Reserve 12 and Old Rip 10. I like the whole Wild Turkey line, which is not surprising since I've been told they all have the same mash bill. Can't go wrong with Makers either. I jumped deep into bourbons after my son and I toured the Ky Bourbon Trail.

I think I heard that most Buffalo Trace is going to Asia, trying to establish itself in the market there. I suspect when it comes back the price will jump quite a bit. Hard to just jump the price on the shelf, but making it scarce and then bringing it back they can probably do it. Though my state (Virginia ABC) price list still has it for $27/750ml but I can't remember when I've seen it in stock.
Taz

Post by Taz »

jaydub71 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:02 am I don't think I saw Legent on this thread. A friend turned me on to it. It is a collaboration between an American bourbon maker and a Japanese blender. I think it was around $40/bottle. Good stuff.

https://www.legentbourbon.com/bourbon

P.S. Bourbon snobs will say it is not a true bourbon and they are techinicaly right but I don't think most people would even know the technical difference or care in this case.
I bought a bottle to try ($36). It sips fine but I had to search for the subdued flavors. Light body which I should have expected with the Japanese bending/finishing.
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Amarena cherries are also very good, but the jar is a pain in the butt. By the time I'm halfway through, I transfer them into a Pyrex bowl with an airtight lid.
ThankYouJack wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:26 pmAlso, I often find myself going back to Irish (Jameson) after trying out different bourbons. I find it smooth and sweat and a great price. But any recommendations for trying something different or a step up?
Try Jameson Black Barrel. It's marginally more expensive than the classic green bottle, but I enjoy it quite a bit more.
PowderDay9 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:38 pm Has anyone tried the new Kirkland bourbon made by Barton 1792? They have small batch (92 proof), bottled in bond (100 proof) and a single barrel (120 proof).
I've only tried the standard, but find it very good. I had a glass last week immediately after finishing the last of my Blanton's, and while it struck me as different, it was no less pleasing. That's pretty high praise considering Blanton's is one of my all-time favorite bourbons.
Sleepydoc99

Post by Sleepydoc99 »

I thought the Kirkland 1792 BIB was very good mixer and the 120 was also excellent.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

Don't pay over $45 for MM 1.75L in KY. Just bought at Costco yesterday.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

gerntz wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:10 pm
Don't pay over $45 for MM 1.75L in KY. Just bought at Costco yesterday.
We were there a month ago. Not a fan of Maker's Mark. Liked BT much better, especially their Eagle Rare bourbon. BT tour was much better as well.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

BTDT wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:30 am Gentlemen jack, Makers Mark
Love em both! But Gentleman Jack is whiskey not bourbon.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
csmath

Post by csmath »

Calico wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:40 am Oh no! I wish I knew about this thread before I bought my boyfriend his Christmas gift. He likes bourbon but I can never remember all the names he mentioned except Pappy Van Winkle (and that's only because it's extremely expensive and he's never bought it) and Angel's Envy. I can't afford the Pappy Van Winkle and he already has Angel's Envy, so I did some online research and got him a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style. I had to special order it too, it wasn't on shelves anywhere. I thought it was interesting because it's supposed to be good based on reviews and it's an historical recipe (he likes history too).

Is Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style a good one? I know the reviews said it was, but I sometimes wonder if those are paid advertisements. If not, it's not too late to change things up. I don't know what I would get him. He likes that Angel's Envy, but I don't want to get him something he already has. The fun of a gift like this is to try something new he'd never buy for himself.
I don't think I'm your boyfriend but I was recently gifted a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style and really enjoyed it. Did he end up liking your bottle?
Calico

Post by Calico »

csmath wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:16 pm
Calico wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:40 am Oh no! I wish I knew about this thread before I bought my boyfriend his Christmas gift. He likes bourbon but I can never remember all the names he mentioned except Pappy Van Winkle (and that's only because it's extremely expensive and he's never bought it) and Angel's Envy. I can't afford the Pappy Van Winkle and he already has Angel's Envy, so I did some online research and got him a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style. I had to special order it too, it wasn't on shelves anywhere. I thought it was interesting because it's supposed to be good based on reviews and it's an historical recipe (he likes history too).

Is Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style a good one? I know the reviews said it was, but I sometimes wonder if those are paid advertisements. If not, it's not too late to change things up. I don't know what I would get him. He likes that Angel's Envy, but I don't want to get him something he already has. The fun of a gift like this is to try something new he'd never buy for himself.
I don't think I'm your boyfriend but I was recently gifted a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style and really enjoyed it. Did he end up liking your bottle?
Sorry, it's been a while since I posted here (I've been hyper focused on prepping my house for sale).

He did end up loving it! He's so hard to shop for (and he liked it so much) that I decided to go with bourbon again this year as a gift. This time, I tried to find something as close to Pappy Van Winkle as I could. From what I researched, that was Weller Special Reserve. So I got a bottle of that for this year's gift.
I am a mere Boglehead apprentice... even after all these years.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Recently purchased Weller Original Blend 01, 100 proof. It is extremely mild tasting with no burn. Though probably the "best" ever purchased in that regard, oddly there is a feeling of somewhat missing the "burn." For sipping it is very good, however.

Tim
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

I generally only drink bourbon a few times a year with my brother or a good friend and typically have whatever they're having. Lately that has been Buffalo Trace or Bulleit however my friend scored some Weller full proof single barrel wheated blue label on a trip to Kentucky and while the others are very good it was amazing even with the higher alcohol content.
AA: 40/41/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Chip wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:12 pm
We've been buying these for a few years. Not as sweet as Luxardos. They require refrigeration.

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Harvest-Bo ... ads.org-20
I've been buying Woodford Reserve cherries lately. They're quite good. https://bourbonbarrelfoods.com/product/ ... herries-2/
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Chip

Post by Chip »

JupiterJones wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:13 pm I've been buying Woodford Reserve cherries lately. They're quite good.
Thanks for the tip. I think I had those at a friend's house once. I agree, they were excellent.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Just had some Knob Creek Smoked Maple. Got it at my local for $42. Almost as good as Angel's Envy at about half (55%) of the cost.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
Taz

Post by Taz »

chipperd wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:22 am Just had some Knob Creek Smoked Maple. Got it at my local for $42. Almost as good as Angel's Envy at about half (55%) of the cost.
Only $32 in my NE FL area. Very maple & sweet. I bought it specifically last week to make cocktails (& maybe add to coffee).
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Not for me. I won't go near that stuff. From an earlier post:
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:00 pm
familythriftmd wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:51 pm Out of what is available everywhere, I like both Maker's and Knob Creek.
In the northeast, I thought Berkshire Bourbon was a great deal. It was fantastic in an old fashioned sweetened with maple syrup instead of the conventional sugar or simple.
Driftless Glen makes a good bourbon in Wisconsin, although Wisconsinites tend to prefer brandy to bourbon.
I also like Maker's Mark. If you like Knob Creek and maple syrup, you might want to try the Knob Creek Smoked Maple. I won't go near the stuff. From an earlier post:
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:54 pm
Taz wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:15 pm Knob Creek (not the Maple stuff)
Four Roses Small or Single
Maker's Mark
Bullit rye
1792 (w/ a touch of water)

And if you want to try something different (sweeter & spicy): Alberta Rye Whiskey Dark Batch
Regarding Knob Creek, I can't emphasize the "not the Maple stuff" enough. This is the first bourbon that I absolutely could not drink. Not a chance. Yuk. 😝My husband liked it, though.

I'm working through the Knob Creek 120 proof, single barrel small batch, 9 year. I have no idea how much it cost, it was a gift. Not bad, you might want to cut it with a bit of water.
(My husband passed away earlier this year, but this is what I posted.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Taz wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:48 am
chipperd wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:22 am Just had some Knob Creek Smoked Maple. Got it at my local for $42. Almost as good as Angel's Envy at about half (55%) of the cost.
Only $32 in my NE FL area. Very maple & sweet. I bought it specifically last week to make cocktails (& maybe add to coffee).
Yup, it's definitely not for the purist.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I haven't been able to find it in Nashville where I live, but I went home for Thanksgiving and was able to find Buffalo Trace. I bought two bottles and it's a great sipper at a reasonable price (if you can get at or near retail price).
Taz

Post by Taz »

Buffalo Trace is tough to find in NE FL as well. The Navy Exchange occasionally gets it and puts it behind the counter so you have to ask. I've only gotten a bottle once. For $21.99 it's a great deal. Out in town, the sticker below the empty shelf is $30.

Folks seem to have gone a bit crazy hunting for "unicorn" bottles. Seems to me that the only sightings of big-name bottles are on YouTube whiskey channels. That being said, I plan on spending a couple of days visiting a few places on the Bourdon Trail this spring. :wink:
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

topper1296 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:01 pm Reviving a bit of an older thread here. Anybody else having a hard time finding some bourbons that really aren't even that high end. I can't find Buffalo Trace or Michter's Sour Mash anywhere. I'm not trying to buy a bottle of Pappy (or even Weller) here. :D
This industrial distiller, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGP_of_Indiana, makes the base alcohol for many of the "top shelf" (or at least 2nd to the top!) brands. (https://www.great-taste.net/tidbits-kud ... de-at-mgp/)

My affordable bourbon choice is from Woodford. I haven't tried a lot of rye, but the best I ever had was made by Smugglers' Notch Distillery. It's almost never available.
WGP3

Post by WGP3 »

Dead Man Walking wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:21 am I drink bourbon neat with no ice. I've purchased some expensive bourbons and received some as gifts. To date, Four Roses Small Batch is my favorite. It is reasonably priced and has great flavor. I'm open to suggestions and criticism from my fellow Bogleheads. What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon?

DMW
George Dickel 12 Year
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

Calico wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:21 am
csmath wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:16 pm

Sorry, it's been a while since I posted here (I've been hyper focused on prepping my house for sale).

He did end up loving it! He's so hard to shop for (and he liked it so much) that I decided to go with bourbon again this year as a gift. This time, I tried to find something as close to Pappy Van Winkle as I could. From what I researched, that was Weller Special Reserve. So I got a bottle of that for this year's gift.
I realize this thread is old but I just had to comment: I love that you bought a bourbon you didn't know anything about and ended up with Old Forester 1920. There are many many bourbons at this price point (~$60 near me) that are either poor value or just plain bad. OF 1920 is worth every penny of its price and maybe a little more. It's an outstanding product - well bought!
dekecarver

Post by dekecarver »

Elijah Craig
Woodford Reserve
RJC

Post by RJC »

Buffalo Trace and Bulliet for me. Starting to get back into drinking bourbon again. :beer
Fidelity1977

Post by Fidelity1977 »

Weller Special Reserve
WGP3

Post by WGP3 »

bottlecap wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:35 am
Nicolas wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:54 pm I've heard good things about George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey, thinking of picking some up. Anyone here have an opinion? I know it's not bourbon.
If you compare it to it’s competition (Jack Daniel's; Jim Beam), there's nothing wrong with a little Dickel.

JT
+1 for George Dickel - good stuff! :thumbsup
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Four Roses Small Batch Select, $57. This is truly a sipping bourbon to be appreciated.

I was getting hints of caramel and floral on the nose, vanilla and different fruits on the taste. Very nice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dardeninvestor

Post by dardeninvestor »

Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Blanton’s
Buffalo Trace

Given bourbon’s mania now, not a bad idea to look at reasonably priced Scotch too.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

dardeninvestor wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:57 pm Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Blanton’s
Buffalo Trace

Given bourbon’s mania now, not a bad idea to look at reasonably priced Scotch too.
Ahem.... there is no such thing as reasonably priced Scotch. There used to be, but that has all changed as Scotch prices have soared.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I toured the Woodford Reserve Distillery quite a few years back. It was one of the more interesting such tours I've been on due to the historic buildings and copper stills. Their aging warehouse smelled wonderful. I think it would be a great one to include on your itinerary if you're looking for more places to visit.

Non-whiskey related in the general area, I also enjoyed Churchill Downs more than I expected to, and the Louisville Slugger Museum is reasonably interesting if you like baseball.

If I'm ever back in Kentucky, I'd like to spend a fair amount of time at Mammoth Caves, and maybe also some of the lesser known caves in the area.