Is $9000 too much for a sectional sofa ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
njuser

Re: Is $9000 too much for a sectional sofa ?

Post by njuser »

Century furniture is a very good brand but I'm pretty sure that at least once a year they have a 40% off sale. You could also call furniture stores that you shop via internet; they can send you fabric samples before you order. Maybe request a quote first just to see
http://www.boyles.com/catalogsearch/res ... ornerstone

Personally, I find 'custom' items to be overrated unless you really need a very specific item. Plus, teenagers. They flop and spill. They will ruin your sectional. So proceed with caution.
Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid »

Quality furniture is expensive. We have bought high end pieces but always on sale and we don't have kids. We also have spent $3k to have a sofa reupholstered.
indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease »

Not really if your last name is Trump, Gates, Cuban.

But someome in the 25% tax bracket, hell yes. Way to much.

Divide $9000 by price of movie tickets and you have years of entertainment.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Yes, in a household which includes children who are allowed to eat and drink in the living room. If you choose that style of living and child-raising, you should keep your furniture appropriate to that style.

Save the vulnerable luxury items until the kids are out of the house. Of course that doesn't seem to happen as quickly now as it used to. Maybe because they're allowed to eat in the living room.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I would pick a couple Ekorness Stressless recliners and an Ekorness couch and probably save a few thousand.

As others mentioned, the crux is the sittability of the sectional. Do you see yourself and guests piled on the various areas of the sectional.

$9k is a lot with kids. We have some IMG recliners and kids are tough on leather. They were only in the $1,500 range each.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

celia wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:12 pm
JBTX wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:36 am ...The person helping us with all of this is a designer and a GC. She has been great in the remodel, steering us in a direction that we really like and hiring and handling trusted contractors to do the remodel. Now she has budgeted about $27k for furniture and decor, and the biggest chunk is $9k for a large sectional sofa.
It is obvious you are paying a middle man to take care of things for you so you don't have to. She is getting a cut from every dollar you spend on this home remodeling project. After this project is done and the kids are gone, you can probably get the same furniture for half the price without going through her.
2. Is it prudent to spend $9k on something that our teenage kids could wreck in a second, spill chocolate milk, red koolaid, etc.
Ahhh, the age-old problem of food migrating around the house. Are you willing to enforce a "food only in the kitchen and dining room" policy? It will have to apply to you and your spouse too. If not, then the money will be wasted.
She is getting 20% on the furniture and decor. For the remodel she charged a flat $6000 fee for a total remodel of around $70k. All of the items are line itemed at cost unless she gets some kick back that we don't know about. Ultimately we had another guy years ago who did our bathroom bid floors and kitchen and it was almost $50k. This time we got kitchen plus new cabinets, floors, entire new indoor paint job, new light fixtures and new door for about $70k so it seemed roughly in line.

At first the $6000 fee seemed high but now that I have seen all she's done it is well worth it. She typically charges her business customers $100 an hour (a lot of doctors offices, etc) and I know she's put a hell of a lot more than 60 hours into this deal. I think she hopes to get the decor part where the relative payoff is more lucrative.

I'm getting some quotes from some other local furniture stores for the same pieces to see if it is competitive.
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

I like to go by the net worth / 500 rule for sofas. So if your NW is => 4.5mil, then no $9k is just right.
kg7

Post by kg7 »

Yes, $9k for a sectional sofa is too much in my opinion, but none of us here are counting your dollars. If it doesn't break the bank, and it fulfills a particular fantasy, then by all means. Otherwise, I'd say there are more cost effective options.

I purchased a sectional sofa for $1500 10 years ago when I moved into my new home. It still looks new today as we keep our home super tidy and take care of the material per instructions (micro fiber). Granted it's just me and my wife (no kids yet), it's going it last us a long time. Heck, it might be the last sofa I will ever buy.

I like to stretch things I buy... so far after 10 years, my sofa cost has been $150 per year to own. If we can make it last another 10 years, cost would be $75 per year etc... Anyway, our sofa look much like the one linked below (that's where we purchased it), but a different color, and it was $500 cheaper back in 2007:

http://www.americansignaturefurniture.c ... 88/1719511

I would say do some shopping around, there are a LOT of good deals on great options / quality products at much cheaper prices than your $9k sofa.

Good luck.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

sharpjm wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:54 pm I like to go by the net worth / 500 rule for sofas. So if your NW is => 4.5mil, then no $9k is just right.
:)

only about half way there, but perhaps this couch will help me aspire to greater heights.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Got a call back from 2 different local dealers of the same pieces. Basically the range is $10k to $15k depending on fabric grade so the 9k we were given is actually very competitive. Also one of the stores sells a "Guardian" brand fabric protector that costs $450 to apply but then serves as a 5 year warranty against any sort of spill, etc or they will either come out and clean or replace the cushion. You can buy this stuff fairly cheap but it may be worthwhile investment just for peace of mind.
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

I'm a longtime fan and customer of Room and Board. Quality stuff, great customer service. Here are their sectionals with prices:

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/living/sectionals

There's quite a range, but your price certainly falls within theirs.
aqan

Post by aqan »

Marjimmy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:39 am Is $9000 too much for a sectional sofa ?

Yes.
Not if you have a billion dollars 😜
btenny

Post by btenny »

Yes that is huge.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Question 1 - Possibly. Custom furniture is usually expensive, but if the quality is good, I'm sure it could be worth $9000 to somebody. I've never shopped for something like this myself, but I suspect also there is some room to negotiate the final price with the builder.

Question 2 - I wouldn't. If it's good quality, it should be able to withstand a fair amount of use and cleaning, but I would have to really, really be enthusiastic about a custom piece of furniture when standard production showroom sectionals can be had for 1/4 the price.

Are you in love with this piece? Is a sectional even the type of furniture you want in this location?

The designer is working for you, not the other way around. If it doesn't fit your tastes or budgets, you always have the option to ask her to suggest alternatives.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Room & Board has been mentioned a few times. I picked up a chaise sofa off Craigslist like new for $130 that costs $1500. That was a good find. If it gets stained I won't have a meltdown.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
silvercertificate

Post by silvercertificate »

It would be too much for me to pay, but if you like this particular piece of furniture negotiate the price. I negotiate nearly every large purchase. Simply ask, "Can you do better on the price?" I have never not gotten a discount on furniture using this method. Approach it like a car purchase
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

iamlucky13 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:05 pm Question 1 - Possibly. Custom furniture is usually expensive, but if the quality is good, I'm sure it could be worth $9000 to somebody. I've never shopped for something like this myself, but I suspect also there is some room to negotiate the final price with the builder.

Question 2 - I wouldn't. If it's good quality, it should be able to withstand a fair amount of use and cleaning, but I would have to really, really be enthusiastic about a custom piece of furniture when standard production showroom sectionals can be had for 1/4 the price.

Are you in love with this piece? Is a sectional even the type of furniture you want in this location?

The designer is working for you, not the other way around. If it doesn't fit your tastes or budgets, you always have the option to ask her to suggest alternatives.
I haven't seen it. Will see tomorrow. My wife likes it. It fits the entire decor scheme (supposedly). She and the designer are two peas in a pod. I only get involved when it is a particular concern for me.

Personally I'd be happy with a couch and love seat half as much as long as it was comfortable, had reasonably good workmanship and looked Ok. But this whole thing has been like a screaming train and occasionally i get on the tracks to bring the whole thing to a stop. Right now we have no furniture and everybody is waiting on me to get out of the way so we can order the new crap. I can stomach paying a few thousand more than I want as long as I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off, it meets my needs and i can see some value in the premium price.
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

Your designer should be getting 15-20% off of retail at Century furniture or "to the trade pricing." I'm not clear on whether she is charging you retail + 20% or to the trade plus 20%. It should be the later at most. Also, we paid a designer a design fee for a bathroom reno, he got us to the trade pricing with a number of vendors. Your designer sounds expensive and as others have pointed out sectionals are usually disfavored by designers.

Sectionals can easily be 9k. I have two pieces of Century Furniture and they both look and were expensive (although I got a great deal). We paid a lot of money for our custom Baker sofa. I would say the biggest issue is fabric choice. I'm thinking a very stain resistant one is what you need. Personally, none eats in furniture in our house, and we don't have pets so I'm not sure what I'd do in your shoes.

My general rule is not to buy something I don't expect to replace in 8-10 years. My Baker sofa I expect to reupholster in that time frame, maybe sooner because I wasn't as smart in fabric choice (but at least it looks good).
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

silvercertificate wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:22 pm It would be too much for me to pay, but if you like this particular piece of furniture negotiate the price. I negotiate nearly every large purchase. Simply ask, "Can you do better on the price?" I have never not gotten a discount on furniture using this method. Approach it like a car purchase
The issue is I am not the one ordering and buying the couch. The designer is. She gets it from some haughty totty place that only sells to designers. From my minimal research the price is actually lower than what some of the local retailers sell it for. Supposedly the designers get discounts at this place if they buy a certain amount of their stuff every year. I'll broach the subject tomorrow when I'm there but I'm not sure this a situation i can walk in and start haggling. But I'm not afraid to give it a shot. :D
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

JBTX wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 pmBottom line if I veto this #### thing then figuring out the alternative is on me.
Haha! $9,000? Sold!

If you sit on it an like it and the wife likes it, go for it. Sometimes money makes things in life easier. This sounds like one of those times.

JT
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Leemiller wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:40 pm Your designer should be getting 15-20% off of retail at Century furniture or "to the trade pricing." I'm not clear on whether she is charging you retail + 20% or to the trade plus 20%. It should be the later at most. Also, we paid a designer a design fee for a bathroom reno, he got us to the trade pricing with a number of vendors. Your designer sounds expensive and as others have pointed out sectionals are usually disfavored by designers.

Sectionals can easily be 9k. I have two pieces of Century Furniture and they both look and were expensive (although I got a great deal). We paid a lot of money for our custom Baker sofa. I would say the biggest issue is fabric choice. I'm thinking a very stain resistant one is what you need. Personally, none eats in furniture in our house, and we don't have pets so I'm not sure what I'd do in your shoes.

My general rule is not to buy something I don't expect to replace in 8-10 years. My Baker sofa I expect to reupholster in that time frame, maybe sooner because I wasn't as smart in fabric choice (but at least it looks good).
As mentioned in above post my understanding is she does get a substantial discount off retail and from the couple of inquiries I have made that appears to be the case. She quoted 9k and the retailers quoted between 10-15k; the variation due to type of fabric. So if our designer chose mid range fabric she got $9k vs retailers $12k.

From everything I am reading this thing should last a long time due to the quality workmanship, other than maybe a reupholster a decade down the road like you mention.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

bottlecap wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:51 pm
JBTX wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 pmBottom line if I veto this #### thing then figuring out the alternative is on me.
Haha! $9,000? Sold!

If you sit on it an like it and the wife likes it, go for it. Sometimes money makes things in life easier. This sounds like one of those times.

JT
This is where I'm at. If it suits my needs then give the green light.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

Way too much... Love the SNL skit BTW :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

IMO wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:17 pm 1. Is this your forever home? I ask because sectional sofa's often are very specific for the space. You spend $9K, move in 5 years and it's likely this sectional won't fit right in your next home. . . Sectionals tend to be something that while sometimes extremely functional, are probably not the top couch choice for many people's taste.
Is it possible to take the sectional and separate it and move it around as separate sofas in a new smaller room, perhaps snugging up a coffee table next to the open end? We've never had a sectional, but maybe it would make buying a more expensive sectional less "painful" since - if it looked ok separated - it could be moved to another room or home.
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom"- Pillar 7: The Powerful Magnetism of the Mean. Reversion to the mean prevails, sooner or later, in the financial jungle.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

You said you can afford it and that's a good place to start. The question I would ask in a situation like this to myself is: Does this purchase bring me and my wife enough joy above and beyond other less expensive alternatives that I'm willing to pay the difference in price?

How much time will this set cost you (to afford it, will you have to work longer/more)? Is that amount of time worth it to you in relation to the satisfaction you anticipate getting from the sofa?

By the way, you and the kids should have spaghetti dinner on the sofas while watching TV when your favorite show comes on. If this makes you nervous, you probably can't afford it. My kid (age 3) spills all sorts of stuff on our sofa set. While never fun, I've never come close to having a heart attack over a spill. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in fear like that. My daughter ate a bowlful of blackberries on the sofa just this morning. I handed those blackberries to her. I may be foolish but am also sort of brave, if I may be so bold as to get in a little humble bragging. If the sofa set will take away your ability to truly relax, it would seem to be counter to its existential purpose.

I agree about the SNL skit - wonderful!
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

It's all relative I guess. If you live in a $5,000,000 home I guess you need a $9000 couch. My wife worked at a high end furniture store while she was in college--most pieces were custom made. She remembers someone buying a $40,000 couch. And it wasn't even a sectional!
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

1) You have the money
2) You will NOT derail any of your financial goals
3) Your wife wants the sofa

What is there to discuss ? Why are you asking BH permission to do something which you need to do for the happiness in your life?
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

bottlecap wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:51 pm If you sit on it an like it and the wife likes it, go for it. Sometimes money makes things in life easier.
Doubly so if the wife also happens to be a designer for a company that primarily sells Italian furniture. Thankfully, though, her discounts through her employer are significant enough to bring prices down into our budget range.
looking

Post by looking »

go to Costco with that kind of money you can buy lots more and better quality.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

wrongfunds wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:12 am 1) You have the money

What is there to discuss ? Why are you asking BH permission to do something which you need to do for the happiness in your life?
I suppose it is a combination of due diligence and rationalization. If it was something I was knowledgeable on I would be less pensive.
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

I wouldn't do it. I paid $5,000 for an LED television and regretted it a few months later.

Given that spills are inevitable with kids, even more reason not to get a fancy one. But if 9k is peanuts to you, or if you don't care about the couch getting ruined, then why not.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Toddlers and preschoolers might wreck furniture; teens and adults should not be wrecking furniture. If you are going to use the sofa as a dining table I'd go with something lower cost.

We paid about $5000 for a two piece leather corner sectional a few months ago. It fits nicely into the room. We bought it from a regional supplier with a local store who has a good reputation. We also paid a little more for two Himolla chairs for TV watching and movies but still waiting for those to come in.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

The last phrase is your answer, "...need to do for happiness in your life". We get MANY posts on this board of along the lines of "I have dreamed of having X can I afford it". The OP, please correct me if I am wrong" is not saying buying this specific couch is going to give "happiness" any more then another couch.

To be philosophical when one is buying stuff they are buying happiness. So if it gives you happiness over other options go for it. If it doesn't then why spend more? Might as well save it and spend it when something comes along that WILL give you happiness.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
msk

Post by msk »

I judge sofa costing by the foot, since in recent years I had to purchase a lot. Ikea makes very comfortable, sturdy, child-friendly series. What I consider their most value-for money series is called EKTORP and they go for around $50 to $100/ft. My next favorite brand is ID Design (a Danish company). They typically cost around twice as much as Ikea. Next up is Ethan Allen at another doubling in price, say, $200 to $400/ft. We have purchased a lot of feet from all three. We did balk at purchasing any Roche Bobois (costs at least double as much as Ethan Allen). I consider all do give value for money, for appropriate applications, but, as usual, the higher-end you go with luxury goods, the less we can assign incremental value for money. At Roche Bobois $9000 can hardly get you a full sofa, never mind sectionals. With young kids, IMHO, it's best to stick to Ikea level. As the kids grow one can climb up the ladder.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

JBTX wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:28 am

I suppose it is a combination of due diligence and rationalization. If it was something I was knowledgeable on I would be less pensive.
In a way, we can't possibly help with this, as we can't see (or feel) the *exact* sofa you are considering, including any customized touches, or the quality of construction (including seemingly minor things such as whether patterns/weave line up at seams and between cushions and back, etc.).

As with a car, we could "help" with "Is $XXXXX a good price for this <high end BMW, MB, Jag, etc.> with these specific additional features/trim level/etc.?"
But we can't help nearly as much with, "Should I buy this <high end BMW, MB, Jag, etc.> for $XXXXX?"

That's a decision you and your spouse need to make, keeping in mind all of: price point, impact on your finances short and longer term, and how much you want this particular item (or in some cases, any such item, e.g., "do we want a new sofa/car *now* or not?").

Decisions will be so different for someone with a well on track for retirement and other long term goals, and with an income near/above $300k, for example, vs. someone still struggling to save "enough", with a small fraction of that income.
At a certain point, is "this decision" worth a lot of time/energy/aggravation?
Again, a *very* personal situation, one that is so dependent upon your specific financial situation and also preferences.

And it sounds like this is likely to be something that you and your wife will use and enjoy almost every day for many years.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:54 am
JBTX wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:28 am

In a way, we can't possibly help with this, as we can't see (or feel) the *exact* sofa you are considering, including any customized touches, or the quality of construction (including seemingly minor things such as whether patterns/weave line up at seams and between cushions and back, etc.).

As with a car, we could "help" with "Is $XXXXX a good price for this <high end BMW, MB, Jag, etc.> with these specific additional features/trim level/etc.?"
But we can't help nearly as much with, "Should I buy this <high end BMW, MB, Jag, etc.> for $XXXXX?"

That's a decision you and your spouse need to make, keeping in mind all of: price point, impact on your finances short and longer term, and how much you want this particular item (or in some cases, any such item, e.g., "do we want a new sofa/car *now* or not?").

Decisions will be so different for someone with a well on track for retirement and other long term goals, and with an income near/above $300k, for example, vs. someone still struggling to save "enough", with a small fraction of that income.
At a certain point, is "this decision" worth a lot of time/energy/aggravation?
Again, a *very* personal situation, one that is so dependent upon your specific financial situation and also preferences.

And it sounds like this is likely to be something that you and your wife will use and enjoy almost every day for many years.

RM
Thanks and totally agree. I can't just plop $9000 on something without some sort of process. And strangely enough part of the process was starting a thread in a forum with people of generally like minded people from a financial perspective. Since starting it I have gained some good perspectives and also been able to figure out I'm at least not getting ripped off. This $9k couch actually typically costs $10k-$15k at other more traditional furniture outlets. But that doesn't change the fact that $9k is a lot of money on a couch, and my initial reaction was like the 80% in this thread who are pretty much-"yeah, no, that's too much for a couch".

However with insight from you and a few others I've come around to accepting it as part of the grand plan as long as when I sit on it it doesn't feel like a bench. I'll figure that out this morning when I visit the showroom.

Plus I had the feeling it would be an entertaining thread and on that front it has delivered. :o
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Duplicate
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

JBTX wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 am This $9k couch actually typically costs $10k-$15k at other more traditional furniture outlets.
No the couch is MUCH cheaper. The only difference is the kickback is going to the designer and not to the outlet. Then part of that kickback from the designer is going to you which is why it is cheaper. The only difference is the middle man is sharing part of the cut with you.

Either way if you like the couch go for it.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

My wife likes it. It fits the entire decor scheme (supposedly). She and the designer are two peas in a pod.
Did everybody missed this part from OP? Once again, OP does not have to sleep in the same bed with the rest of the BH who might be telling him not to buy the sofa. There are some battles worth fighting for on the household front. If 9K would cause hardship, then I could understand. Given OP's net worth, this is really is not big deal given he most likely has already mentally allocated $100K for remodeling plus furnishing.
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

Seems rather excessive in price, but I suppose if you don't mind paying for it and can afford it then why not?
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

staythecourse wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:21 am
JBTX wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 am This $9k couch actually typically costs $10k-$15k at other more traditional furniture outlets.
No the couch is MUCH cheaper. The only difference is the kickback is going to the designer and not to the outlet. Then part of that kickback from the designer is going to you which is why it is cheaper. The only difference is the middle man is sharing part of the cut with you.

Either way if you like the couch go for it.

Good luck.
Yes designer gets her 20%. She's been up front about that. Given this is custom you probably have to pay that anywhere. At both retail places I called they forwarded me to the design department.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

I've skimmed most of the replies. Not sure anyone has explicitly mentioned the designer's presumed ability to *decorate* and design well. You or at least your wife seem to think the designer is very talented in this regard. I think that's an important consideration and should count for something.

I am actually in the market for some furniture, including a sofa, and have been for some time. There's no rush, and that's probably contributed to why it's dragged on for a while. If I could wave a magic wand and have just the right furniture and seating arrangement in my living room, that would definitely be worth something to me. It would save me the time to shop (which I would prefer to skip) and agonize over the decision, while still presumably ensuring a very good outcome.

After working with an architect on some home renovation, I recognize that spatial awareness / visualization is a skill / talent of its own. If I have it, it certainly wasn't as well-honed as my architect's. I assume that you (or your wife) have already discussed seating preferences, durability (kids, etc.) with the designer, so it would seem to be her job to factor in your needs and find a suitable match.

Looked at another way, let's say I (or you) bought furniture that you later deemed unsuitable for the space. It functioned fine (durability, comfort), but just didn't really work in the room. That's my fear, as it's not so easy to just toss out the furniture. Being a good BH I would feel compelled to live with the furniture for a good number of years, all the while feeling less than happy with how it looked and might not have enhanced the space.

Is there any ability to try out or exchange the sofa if you're not completely satisfied? I realize that it's custom, but I would think this still might be possible.
blueberry

Post by blueberry »

Maybe it's just me but I see similarities between hiring a decorator and hiring an edward jones financial adviser.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

blueberry wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:53 am Maybe it's just me but I see similarities between hiring a decorator and hiring an edward jones financial adviser.
I wonder if you threw darts randomly in a furniture store if you would pick as good of a sectional as the designer....
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

wrongfunds wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:23 am
My wife likes it. It fits the entire decor scheme (supposedly). She and the designer are two peas in a pod.
Did everybody missed this part from OP? Once again, OP does not have to sleep in the same bed with the rest of the BH who might be telling him not to buy the sofa. There are some battles worth fighting for on the household front. If 9K would cause hardship, then I could understand. Given OP's net worth, this is really is not big deal given he most likely has already mentally allocated $100K for remodeling plus furnishing.
This.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

blueberry wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:53 am Maybe it's just me but I see similarities between hiring a decorator and hiring an edward jones financial adviser.
+1. I personally place the value of having someone else decide how the interior of my house shall look at exactly $0, but OP has the financial means for it not to really matter. I could think of a million ways I would rather spend $9k, but it isn't effecting them financially in any way.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Ok I actually saw it today. It was at market center in downtown Dallas. It is place exclusively for retailers and designers. It was weird going into this large multifloor building with all this furniture decor and other consumer items with hardly anybody there. I was only allowed in as guest of the designer.

Looking at the sectional you can kind of tell it is well made. The lines are pretty sharp and it's not at all the "puffy bubba" types seen in the SNL skit. You can customize a bunch of different options. Cushions are "down-spring" meaning they are spring in the middle with a layer of down. Very comfortable but not excessively cushy.

It passes the smell test. Still more than I personally want to pay but given all the other factors it suits my needs and willing to eat a few thousand " for the team". Pay the $450 for the 5 year treatment/warranty at least gives some protection against the inevitable spill.

Thanks for all the perspectives. It really has been helpful. Now to find something else to obsess over.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

If you want it and can afford... and think it would make you happy then I think you should buy it.

I just see a very likely scenario where you have extreme buyers remorse immediately after having it delivered to your house.
Topic Author
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:18 pm
+1. I personally place the value of having someone else decide how the interior of my house shall look at exactly $0, but OP has the financial means for it not to really matter. I could think of a million ways I would rather spend $9k, but it isn't effecting them financially in any way.
I'm going to disagree with this one 100%. We have had our house 20 years and not done a lot to it. Spots and cracks all over the wall. 12 year old light colored laminate falling part that never really matched the pinkish kitchen scheme that was built in. Kitchen counters past their age. Cheap Furniture trashed. The interior had run down and the changes we made on our own never really quite fit together. I don't have enough smarts to know what to pick, but i do know what I like and don't after it's done. My wife is hit and miss with her choices. She will take chances and sometimes it works great and other times not. I was the one who really wanted a designer or somebody to steer us in the right direction. If we were going to stay here, it would have needed at minimum 50k remodel (I'm not a DIY guy) and 10k with cheap furniture and throw rugs. Instead we upgraded and spent about 70k on remodel and 27k on furnishings.

We are really happy with the result of renovation. There was only one hiccup where the I vetoed the backsplash / fireplace decorative tile that looked like crap when put in. Also we are now thinking we are content to be here another 10-20 years if need be. That's a huge change from literally being embarrassed to let people in the house.

From the limited data I have I think we could recover most of the remodel costs if we sold tomorrow. Our house was appraised at 270k probably should have been 250-260 with all the needed work. The same floor plan and sq ft house with same property size down the street but a lot of internal upgrades just sold for $320k
blueberry

Post by blueberry »

You've kind of been put through the wringer by us cheap skates, but the important thing is, sounds like you're happy with the end results of your project and that is the real bottom line!

-bb