Wisdom Teeth Removal: Any experience?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rgs92

Wisdom Teeth Removal: Any experience?

Post by rgs92 »

What is it like to get your wisdom teeth removed?
1. Does the procedure hurt?
2. Did you just get local anaesthetic?
3. Were there side or after-effects?
4. How old were you at the time?
5. Any tips if you have this done?
6. What if they are not impacted?
Thanks.
Last edited by rgs92 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DippityDoo

Re: Wisdom Teeth Removal: Any experience?

Post by DippityDoo »

Are they impacted in the bone? All four of mine were. I had them all removed at once because I knew if it was bad that I'd never go back to have the others taken out.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

rgs92 wrote:What is it like to get your wisdom teeth removed?
It didn't hurt me. The oral surgeon had good drugs. I had all four done at the same time. They were coming in crooked. Two came out whole and two came out broken. I kept them in a box for years. They were big suckers. The whole procedure happened fast. From the time I walked into the office until I walked out was one hour.
I think it was a local. I was awake the entire time.
I took some mild prescription pain pills for a couple of days and ate a lot of ice cream. There was never any serous pain, just a strong ache. My cheeks swelled up like a chipmunk for about three days. I was teased at work.
If you have a good oral surgeon you'll be fine.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

I was 31.

I was knocked out.

All 4 removed.

I iced it religiously and didn't have any swelling.

Beware of dry sockets - I didn't get them luckily.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Was in Marine Security Guard school and our class had gotten their assignments to far flung embassies/consulates around the world. We were told to line up, "You're going to get your wisdom teeth removed." Evidently it was MUCH more cost effective to have them taken out in the US than to fly us to a location that had good dentists should we develop problems overseas. Had them in the morning - they were gone by lunch. I was 19 at the time and don't recall much pain. Local anesthesia, some pills to take for 24 hours after, and that was it. I get looks of horror now when I recount the story, but at the time it was, "Well, whatever the Gunny says we're gonna do...." Nice thing is that I've never had to worry about wisdom teeth problems in my older years.
Allixi

Post by Allixi »

Thanks.
1. There was more drilling, which was disturbing, but it didn't hurt any more than getting other teeth pulled.
2. Local only - didn't get insurance approval for the general anesthesia.
3. I assume you're referring to narcotic pain meds - I had a prescription but never filled it, just took ibuprofen only.
4. 22, I think
5. No
6. Then you can ask if your dentist might be willing to do them instead of an oral surgeon - mine wasn't (lower ones were impacted).
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

If you are really worried about it, ask for a prescription for a few Xanax or whatever medication is currently popular for that purpose. It is an unpleasant experience and it will hurt and bleed.
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

1. Does the procedure hurt? No, I was put under general anesthesia.
2. Did you just get local anaesthetic? See number 1.
3. Were there side or after-effects? They nicked a nerve, so I had no feeling around my chin for about two weeks. The feeling came back as an unscratchable itch :annoyed
4. How old were you at the time? Um, twenty something.
5. Any tips if you have this done? Get them all done at once.
6. What if they are not impacted? I don't know. All four of mine were impacted.
Thanks.
Last edited by Thrifty Femme on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

They put my wife on Propofol and played Michael Jackson songs as she dozed off. Unlike him, she woke up.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Had mine done at a dental school in the 70s by a faculty member. Just Novocaine. No pain during procedure. Dental student (observing) fainted. Hurt like crazy when the 'caine wore off. This was back before they gave out heavy-duty pain meds.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Meaty

Post by Meaty »

Thanks.

It didn't hurt. I was put under. No side affects; I was eating normal food later that day. I was 19. My teeth were impacted.

No tips, my experience was as good as it could be. Really. No pain, no issues
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink
Topic Author
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

OK, thanks everyone (even SrGrumpy and Pajamas).
Last edited by rgs92 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selftalk

Post by selftalk »

I was 52 at the time and 3 wisdom teeth were removed. It was real painful and I was on oxycodone pills. I could only eat with a teaspoon so I ate apple sauce. The result was that after everything settled down the right side of my jaw was permanently numb.
I guess that the root of the tooth or teeth had grown too deep. It was a bad experience. Getting them out when you are young is the right thing to do when the roots haven`t grown too deep. That`s what I learned.
FraggleRock

Post by FraggleRock »

Excellent experience.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

FraggleRock wrote:21
Excellent experience.
Same here, wish I had a couple more to remove :happy
Poppinjay

Post by Poppinjay »

I was 25. Regular dentist. Doped up on Halcion which left gaps in my memory :D . Top two were partially exposed and popped out easy enough but the bottom ones were buried and had to be cut out. I remember lots of tugging. At some point they stopped and took me to another room to have a panoramic xray to make sure it hadn't fused to my jaw because it was giving her problems. Eventually she was able to break it in pieces. I had headphones on listening to music and when they used noisy tools I turned up the volume. Later the dentist said if she'd known how difficult the bottom 2 would be she would've sent me to an oral surgeon :| . They gave me a prescription for Vicodin saying not to take any that day because of the halcion, I ended up not needing it. My cheeks were swollen (my boss said I looked like a chipmunk) and felt bruised but otherwise I had no pain. Everybody was telling me horror stories about the pain they had so I was very relieved to avoid that.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Early 20's. Was knocked out by gas. Apparently I started singing and I also told the oral surgeon his office staffers were extremely attractive. One of my sites got infected. Worst pain ever. If not for the infection it wouldn't have been that bad, so I wouldn't worry. Worst case scenario you take a few scooby snacks and you'll be over it in a few days.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (medical advice). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.