[Amazon Prime Day]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Whakamole

Re: [Amazon Prime Day]

Post by Whakamole »

SrGrumpy wrote:Amazon is selling an "Instant Pot DUO80 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, 8 Quart/1200W" - whatever that is - for "$89.99 via Alexa" - whatever that means. Last year it was $69.99, per Doctor of Credit.
DoC is wrong on this. I bought the $69.99 one last year, which was the 6 quart model. The one on sale this year is the 8 quart model. The six is enough for me and when I cook for others, but I think the eight quart might be better if you are into canning.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

So... my Echo Dot shipped and I'm already having buyers remorse that big brother is going to be listening in on me and whether this was a good idea. I'm not talking about the government. I'm talking about a billion dollar company that wants to make money off of me.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Deleting my messages on this forum
Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Helo80 wrote:So... my Echo Dot shipped and I'm already having buyers remorse that big brother is going to be listening in on me and whether this was a good idea. I'm not talking about the government. I'm talking about a billion dollar company that wants to make money off of me.
I am more paranoid than most. I disable WiFi, except when I have visitors. I noticed that the Echo has an on/off switch to the microphone; plus I can easily switch WiFi on/off. I would not run it 24/7. That defeats part of its purpose, but that is the only way I would use it.

I bought it yesterday during Prime.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I spent 15-20 minutes sifting through the joke that is Amazon's lack of any indication they tried to sort coherently (really, laundry detergent and dozens of other cleaning products go under "industrial and scientific"?), wasn't seeing anything of interest, certainly wasn't going to schedule my day around waiting for undisclosed prices to be revealed at odd intervals, and didn't check back for the rest of the day.

I guess if there's anything a Prime member is thinking of buying, Prime day is sensible day to check the price on it. Personally, since I already have a Kindle and a pressure cooker, and was not interested in an Echo or any of the hundreds of utterly bizarre items like a dedicated hot-dog toaster or fridge magnets shaped like already been chewed gum, it was a waste of time.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I am not a Prime member, but yesterday Amazon gave me $5 back for ordering over $15 in books.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

After 2-3 years, in my mind Prime Day has become the day to buy a Kindle/Echo/Dot/Fire TV if you want, + a bunch of random stuff disorganized so you cannot browse.
I don't buy any of those Amazon products, so it is overall underwhelming.
Anyone score anything good?
themesrob

Post by themesrob »

arsenalfan wrote:After 2-3 years, in my mind Prime Day has become the day to buy a Kindle/Echo/Dot/Fire TV if you want, + a bunch of random stuff disorganized so you cannot browse.
I don't buy any of those Amazon products, so it is overall underwhelming.
Anyone score anything good?
I got a few things I buy regularly at record-low prices, which made me happy. I also got a pair of powerlifting shoes I had in my basket for 35% of the price they were a few weeks ago, so that was also excellent.

There were a lot of good deals on big-ticket items, especially electronics, if you were so inclined. The only one which made me wistful was the entry level Roomba, which they had for the lowest price ever in the market, apparently (and which my wife and I already bought a few months ago :oops: )

I didn't buy anything on previous Prime Days, so it was certainly more successful in my view. And public accounts would indicate that it was overall much better received, FWIW.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I keep a running shopping list at Amazon. It's great for keeping track of the filters your cars and appliances use. I also keep book, toy (Christmas, etc.), and school supply lists for my children there. So on Prime Day I just check my lists to see if anything is on sale. Easy peasy. That system works for Black Friday too. Yesterday, they had some decent deals on school supplies, LED light bulbs, batteries, and random electric cords/chargers (Amazon Basics mostly, which are usually pretty good quality).
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Rupert wrote:I keep a running shopping list at Amazon. It's great for keeping track of the filters your cars and appliances use. I also keep book, toy (Christmas, etc.), and school supply lists for my children there. So on Prime Day I just check my lists to see if anything is on sale. Easy peasy. That system works for Black Friday too. Yesterday, they had some decent deals on school supplies, LED light bulbs, batteries, and random electric cords/chargers (Amazon Basics mostly, which are usually pretty good quality).
Were you able to see any prime day deal prices in your shopping lists? I know other discounts show up there, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to tell about the prime day sale prices from looking at wish lists.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

clip651 wrote:
Rupert wrote:I keep a running shopping list at Amazon. It's great for keeping track of the filters your cars and appliances use. I also keep book, toy (Christmas, etc.), and school supply lists for my children there. So on Prime Day I just check my lists to see if anything is on sale. Easy peasy. That system works for Black Friday too. Yesterday, they had some decent deals on school supplies, LED light bulbs, batteries, and random electric cords/chargers (Amazon Basics mostly, which are usually pretty good quality).
Were you able to see any prime day deal prices in your shopping lists? I know other discounts show up there, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to tell about the prime day sale prices from looking at wish lists.
Yes please let me know if you did. I keep a running cart of purchases/temptations (DJI drone, Nikon camera stuff) that honestly needs to drop 25-50% for me to justify it. Would be great to know if Prime Day alerted you they were on sale!
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Mrs.Feeley wrote:The other day I bought a USB charger for $23. Today it was offered at a special Prime Day sale price of $36. :shock:
Was it exactly the SAME make/model USB charger?
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

munemaker wrote:
Mrs.Feeley wrote:The other day I bought a USB charger for $23. Today it was offered at a special Prime Day sale price of $36. :shock:
Was it exactly the SAME make/model USB charger?
Yup. Same one. A RAVPower 6-port charging station. I clicked on the item listed in my order to check its Prime Day price and was shocked.

I think I may have figured out the reason for the price leap. On Prime Day Amazon was selling an Amazon-branded charger that appeared to be identical and for a Prime Day price of $18.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

clip651 wrote:
I had to click through to see if the items were subject to a Prime Day discount. I'm not aware of any way to set up alerts, other than the alert option for the lightening deals (or whatever they call them).
pmelon

Post by pmelon »

tampaite wrote:
Helo80 wrote:So... my Echo Dot shipped and I'm already having buyers remorse that big brother is going to be listening in on me and whether this was a good idea. I'm not talking about the government. I'm talking about a billion dollar company that wants to make money off of me.
Any gadget that needs an internet connection has potential to eavesdrop. however, in this instance, you are already giving permission to a billion dollar company to have your voice commands captured.

Related article:

http://www.consumerreports.org/privacy/ ... -snooping/
Agreed! If it's "smart", it listens.
Youngblood

Re: Amazon prime day

Post by Youngblood »

munemaker wrote:
Incendiary wrote:What are you buying? I might get a Fire tablet. $30 doesn't seem like a bad deal, especially compared to an iPad.
While I am not an Apple fan, a $30 Kindle Fire is not anywhere near equivalent to an iPad. You are comparing apples and ...
That's what I thought until I purchased an HD 8" Fire tablet for $ 43.63 including tax on prime day. All the apps and syncing functions I need, Alexa, WSJ app for my subscription, etc. What am I missing? I have an iPad air but with all the access to prime areas, Free six month subscription to the Washington Post I won't be buying an iPad again.

For the price of a few pizzas, amazing.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
iamlucky13

Re: Amazon prime day

Post by iamlucky13 »

Youngblood wrote:
munemaker wrote:
Incendiary wrote:What are you buying? I might get a Fire tablet. $30 doesn't seem like a bad deal, especially compared to an iPad.
While I am not an Apple fan, a $30 Kindle Fire is not anywhere near equivalent to an iPad. You are comparing apples and ...
That's what I thought until I purchased an HD 8" Fire tablet for $ 43.63 including tax on prime day. All the apps and syncing functions I need, Alexa, WSJ app for my subscription, etc. What am I missing? I have an iPad air but with all the access to prime areas, Free six month subscription to the Washington Post I won't be buying an iPad again.

For the price of a few pizzas, amazing.
The price is absolutely amazing. $30 should be the price of a very nice chalkboard, not a miniature computer.

But compared to higher end tablets, the 7" model at least, is slower, struggles to multi-task, has mediocre touch sensitivity, and a mediocre screen. Mine also likes to crash a lot, although I'm not quite certain if that's Amazon's fault, or Opera's, which is usually what is running when it crashes.

I don't use it a lot, so I haven't run into the oft-discussed limitations of Fire OS compared to Chrome or iOS and haven't ever cared to try rooting it to install programs from the Google store.
PhysicsTeacher

Post by PhysicsTeacher »

I didn't buy anything on Prime Day despite being tempted by the Instant Pot deal. I did notice that a handbag I had purchased from a Gold Box deal on Sunday could have been had for $1.50 less had I waited, but that isn't worth beating myself up about. :wink:
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

I used my "Fathers Day credit with my son" to get Echo Dot. It is impressive piece of technological show case but I suspect once I have asked all the stupid questions to Alexa, the novelty is going to wear off quickly. But for $30 bucks I did not feel too bad to guilt my son in to gifting it to me :-)

If any BH has suggestion on how to have more fun with the Dot, feel free.

Oh, I also ordered Fire 8 HD to replacing an aging Kindle for $50 but it has not been yet delivered.
aqan

Post by aqan »

Whakamole wrote:
SrGrumpy wrote:Amazon is selling an "Instant Pot DUO80 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, 8 Quart/1200W" - whatever that is - for "$89.99 via Alexa" - whatever that means. Last year it was $69.99, per Doctor of Credit.
DoC is wrong on this. I bought the $69.99 one last year, which was the 6 quart model. The one on sale this year is the 8 quart model. The six is enough for me and when I cook for others, but I think the eight quart might be better if you are into canning.
Would you say the 6QT model is enough to cook for 4 adults? We got the 8QT model from prime day but haven't opened it yet because I thought it may be too big for us. Thinking for sending it back as is or gift it to someone with a bigger family :)
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

jlcnuke wrote:There was precisely one thing that kinda interested me this year, the Uber gift card. It went live at 10:30 EST this morning. I refreshed at 10:30 to see the price (well, multiple times starting at 10:29) and about 1 second after it showed $79 for the $100 gift card I went to buy it and was able to get on the waitlist instead... If you don't have enough inventory for 2 seconds worth of shopping, don't bother wasting people's time with it. I thought the whole "we're going to advertise sales and then have no inventory to speak of for that stuff" was over after the 2015 Prime Day debacle...
Thanks for nothing Amazon.com
#Primedaysucksagain #primedayfails2017

I posted that on Facebook shortly after it happened, customer service sent me a message and has "sent a form to billing" to see if they can give me the deal anyway. We'll see what billing has to say if/when the contact me..
Yes, most of the gift cards sold out pretty much in a second. But you didn't need to refresh to get the Add to Cart button on any lightning deal. My Firefox browser on my desktop computer went into count-down mode 10 minutes before each gift card went on sale if I reloaded the page then. Once in count-down mode, it automatically refreshed to "Add to Cart" (and showed the price) when any lightning deal went on sale, just like the mobile apps do.

For the gift cards, I basically hovered the mouse over the "Watching" box, which turns into the "Add to Cart" box when the timer runs out. Then I clicked "Add to Cart" as soon as it appeared, since you still have time after adding to your cart to check out (and change your mind if you don't want it). I was able to snag a Petco, restaurant, and retailer gift card in that fashion. I did miss out on the $100 Petsmart gift card because I tried that one from my cell phone, and it was ever so slightly laggy. But still, I got 3 out of the 4 gift cards I was trying for by just clicking as fast as humanly possible. I suspect thousands across the nation were doing the same, so even if they had tens of thousands in stock, it would sell out nearly instantaneously.

I realize this technique isn't feasible for those who have to work when the deals go on sale. I was home this Tuesday because they waxed the floors at work. I get asthma attacks from the cleaning supplies and/or wax product they use, so I have a standing accommodation that I take sick leave and/or telecommute for the week after they wax. For a state agency, there is a surprising amount of flex when "might end up in the hospital" is involved. Plus, I've had to do this for years, to the point that janitorial notifies us when they are waxing, but it just so happened that this year they waxed on Monday evening.

My other good Prime Day deals were for a fish tank filter (normally $110 at other retailers, $70 for Prime Day) and 30% off an external battery pack. My current cell phone actually has swappable batteries, but my Kindle Fire 7 does not and my next cell phone may not. While traveling and watching movies, I have drained the Fire down quite a bit, so the battery pack will guard against that. I did not feel motivated to upgrade to the Fire 8, since my Fire 7 works fine for its purposes. Nor did I want any of the voice-activated Amazon devices. The Instant Pot was tempting, but I rarely use my Crock Pot, so I suspected the Instant Pot would have the same low level of use which wouldn't make it much of a deal at all.

I also found that Petco had better "Black Friday in July" deals on some of the pet supplies in my watch list, so I purchased those there instead. They used comically oversized boxes for those deliveries. Similarly, for some electronics, other retailers "Black Friday in July" deals were better than Amazon Prime deals. I was eyeballing a 27" monitor, but again decided against it. I already have one 27" and my desk is not well-suited to a dual-monitor setup (hutch supports prevent side-by-side monitor placement).
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

wrongfunds wrote:I used my "Fathers Day credit with my son" to get Echo Dot. It is impressive piece of technological show case but I suspect once I have asked all the stupid questions to Alexa, the novelty is going to wear off quickly. But for $30 bucks I did not feel too bad to guilt my son in to gifting it to me :-)

Oh, I also ordered Fire 8 HD to replacing an aging Kindle for $50 but it has not been yet delivered.
Typical bait and switch :-( Now when I ask to play music, it says "you do not have music; should I enroll you in the paid music service?". On the first day, I had asked for a song by specific singer, she had played them without any complaints. The honeymoon lasted a day or two I guess!

I asked for flight status, Alexa says flight status is not supported. So apart from the weather, preset commuting traffic and kitchen timer I see no real use with this device.
Incendiary

Post by Incendiary »

wrongfunds wrote:
wrongfunds wrote:I used my "Fathers Day credit with my son" to get Echo Dot. It is impressive piece of technological show case but I suspect once I have asked all the stupid questions to Alexa, the novelty is going to wear off quickly. But for $30 bucks I did not feel too bad to guilt my son in to gifting it to me :-)

Typical bait and switch :-( Now when I ask to play music, it says "you do not have music; should I enroll you in the paid music service?". On the first day, I had asked for a song by specific singer, she had played them without any complaints. The honeymoon lasted a day or two I guess!

I asked for flight status, Alexa says flight status is not supported. So apart from the weather, preset commuting traffic and kitchen timer I see no real use with this device.
Do you have Amazon Prime?
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

I am the 2nd adult on my son's prime account. I believe Prime Music is only available to the primary account holder.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

Then just say: Alexa, play Pandora, or spotify etc.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

I have no subscription to any of those type of services and do not plan on paying for it.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

They are free with a few very short commercials. The premium subscriptions do not have ads and those you do pay for. I have the free type.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Youngblood wrote:They are free with a few very short commercials. The premium subscriptions do not have ads and those you do pay for. I have the free type.
Thanks! Do I need to install these applications on my cellphone which was used to set up the Echo Dot? Or can this be done from a desktop? I have free IHeartRadio app on the phone and I was impressed with Echo Dot when I instructed her to "Play Kiss108" and it told me that it was using my IHeartRadio app to tune to Kiss108 and it started playing.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Aaarg; Alex app on the phone says I have to upgrade to Spotify Premium account to use it.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

I have used Spotify on my desktop but not with Alexa. I just looked and you are right about needing premium account.

I use Pandora and Amazon music via Echo Dot and from Desktop.

Did you try linking your Pandora account with your Alexa phone app? I know that works.
Incendiary

Post by Incendiary »

I use Pandora for free via my Echo devices.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Amazon changed the "regular" price on Prime Day to make it seem like the deals were better than they actually were.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/201 ... endor.html
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

sawhorse wrote:Amazon changed the "regular" price on Prime Day to make it seem like the deals were better than they actually were.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/201 ... endor.html
That reads more like "one vendor alleges Amazon changed prices on Prime Day" than any concrete proof there were across-the-board price changes. And anyone who uses Amazon without using something like CamelCamelCamel to look at historic pricing or Google to compare to other retailer pricing is not being a price-conscious shopper. Showing the MSRP as the basis of the discount is a common retailer tactic, but it tells you absolutely nothing about how the discount relates to the current market value of the product.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Pandora is working for the Echo Dot! Except, I always have to say "from Pandora" to every request. Is there a way to avoid that?
Incendiary

Post by Incendiary »

Not to my knowledge.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I'm a little late to the party but I was able to get a few deals on PD. Purchased a few gift cards at a nice discount and a great deal on a Panasonic FZ1000 camera, new with full warranty. Street price $699 I got it for $499...a excellent deal.

As always one needs to know the normal prices and jump on anything that will save you $$$.
rob

Post by rob »

Helo80 wrote:I'm talking about a billion dollar company that wants to make money off of me.
Amazon is far more than a billion dollar company :-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
C4NT

Amazon Prime Day 2018

Post by C4NT »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I thought I would start the Amazon Prime Day thread for 2018. If officially starts today, 7/16, at 3PM and goes through tomorrow.

Remember, if you shop through the link below money is raised for the John C Bogle Center For Financial Literacy.

https://smile.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node ... ads.org-20

If you see any great deals, please post here.

I always look for a deal on a few select items, which never ended up going down in price. Maybe this will be my year.
PFInterest

Re: Amazon Prime Day 2018

Post by PFInterest »

camelcamelcamel

already bought 2 things ive been eyeing for months.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

The Fire TV 4K Streaming Media device is at $34.99 right now.

That's the lowest price I've seen for that particular model -- it's been around $49 before, but this is definitely the lowest for a new non-refurb unit.

Needless to say, I bought one. Can't wait to try it out on my new 4K tv.
denovo

Post by denovo »

SuperGrafx wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:36 am The Fire TV 4K Streaming Media device is at $34.99 right now.

That's the lowest price I've seen for that particular model -- it's been around $49 before, but this is definitely the lowest for a new non-refurb unit.

There is little 4k media
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

denovo wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:06 pm
SuperGrafx wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:36 am The Fire TV 4K Streaming Media device is at $34.99 right now.

There is little 4k media
It's starting to become more and more prevalent, similar to ramp up that occurred during the SDTV to HDTV conversion.

I already own a regular FireStick, so this will replace that device in my current setup.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I bought 5x (the max) of the Kindle Fire 7" tablet for $9.99 each using the Prime Deal and $.01 of Citi Thank You Points.

Also bought an 8" Kindle Fire tablet for $19.99 with the same method.

Missed out on the 10", however.
matthewmon

Post by matthewmon »

i have a 4k roku tv what would this fire stick do for me?
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

Roku stick is on sale for $34.99 to match Amazon's price. I have used both and prefer Roku.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

For children and even some adults, a Fire 7 for $29.99 is a great deal.

If my grandkids didn't already have their own Kindles, I'd be getting them each one.
Same for my 86 year old Dad.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

matthewmon wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:26 pm i have a 4k roku tv what would this fire stick do for me?
It would enable you to stream 4K programming/content from services like Amazon Prime Video and so forth.

I'm assuming your Roku TV may already have the capability to do this natively, since it presumably has streaming capabilities embedded within it's hardware.
matthewmon

Post by matthewmon »

how does this prime day even work I've never done it before. I keep clicking on "shop all deals" and nothing happens?
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

matthewmon wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:27 pm how does this prime day even work I've never done it before. I keep clicking on "shop all deals" and nothing happens?
They've seem to run into some issues. You're probably not missing much, it's way overblown and is nothing like Black Friday deals IMO.