[Amazon Prime Day]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rjbraun

Re: Amazon Prime Day 2018

Post by rjbraun »

Pajamas wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:04 pm If you keep items in your shopping cart to purchase later, Amazon will notify you of price changes each time you look at your cart. I do that with items that I need to buy but don't need immediately.

Some items have steep price drops for a short period of time, either because someone else is selling it for less or to clear inventory or for other reasons. Sometimes a price will drop incrementally each day for long periods of time and then suddenly return to normal.
Yup, I do that as well and have benefited from some decent price drops. That said, I suspect that by regularly checking my shopping cart I end up buying more stuff as I "browse" Amazon's various offerings. That was the draw to getting an alert, if it made me less likely to check in on Amazon regularly.

I've had an Anker portable charger in my cart for a while. While I've seen price drops on various items, as you mentioned, in this case Amazon dangled a $2 off deal "for me" but for whatever reason I didn't bite at the time. I think I may have even been shown it again a second time, which made me think that, for sure, I could wait and see a bigger decline. Well, of course, the reverse happened and the price just keeps creeping higher and higher. Granted, we're talking a few bucks in the big scheme of things, but I had just assumed that tech stuff would be subject to downward price pressure as new and improved products hit the market. On camelcamelcamel.com I think the lowest price listed was about what I would have paid with the Amazon promo I was shown. Oh well. No question that I am spending (wasting) too much time on Amazon. :annoyed
cantos

Post by cantos »

Rupert wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:25 am The deals are totally random, I think. I saved $5 yesterday on a USB wall charger that I needed and had been on my wishlist for a few months. This morning Amazon sent me a notice that another item on my wishlist, some noise-cancelling headphones that had been on my list for almost a year, were $75 off. So I bought those. I don't browse the deals because that will likely just result in me impulse buying something I don't need.
You seriously think that Amazon, which mines millions of bytes of data about its users, which has technology beyond what you can probably imagine, which maximizes profit, has RANDOM deals on its biggest sales day?

:confused
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 pm FWIW, I didn't see much that interested me. I did buy a couple of Amazon Dots for additional coverage in our casa. That's it, though.

BTW, if you have a reader, Prime members can download all six "early reads", instead of the normal offer of one out of six. So I have more eBooks to read. These freebies are starting to back up on me! :shock:

Broken Man 1999
Not familiar with the "early reads", will have to look into that. I assume these are e-books one can keep indefinitely, not just something borrowed for limited time.

I was really surprised to see two books show up as free ($0.00 Kindle price) the other day. These were legitimate books that we (or SO) were interested to buy at full price. I am talking about somewhat obscure books (one on First Nations art, another on Japanese history -- both by respected authors), not normally freebie material. I and especially SO are totally perplexed as to why the books were available for free. Just looked again now, and both books are sold by Amazon Digital Services. I wonder if that is a factor. Regardless, we would be thrilled to have more of these books available for free to download to the Kindle.

Edit: Took a quick look at the early reads and realize that I have far more books that I already want to read, but have insufficient time for, and don't need to add to the list simply because a book is free. Yes, it's nice to learn that something I already want is free, but I'm not sure I want "free" too guide my reading priorities, if that makes sense.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 pm FWIW, I didn't see much that interested me. I did buy a couple of Amazon Dots for additional coverage in our casa. That's it, though.

BTW, if you have a reader, Prime members can download all six "early reads", instead of the normal offer of one out of six. So I have more eBooks to read. These freebies are starting to back up on me! :shock:

Broken Man 1999
Do you mean "first reads"?

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/first ... aede3158b1
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

rjbraun wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:28 pm I was really surprised to see two books show up as free ($0.00 Kindle price) the other day. These were legitimate books that we (or SO) were interested to buy at full price. I am talking about somewhat obscure books (one on First Nations art, another on Japanese history -- both by respected authors), not normally freebie material. I and especially SO are totally perplexed as to why the books were available for free. Just looked again now, and both books are sold by Amazon Digital Services. I wonder if that is a factor. Regardless, we would be thrilled to have more of these books available for free to download to the Kindle.
There are lots of free books on Amazon, mostly out-of-copyright or as a promotion. Sort search results by price to find them.

The best sellers are organized by category are also divided into free and paid sections but be careful that a book is still free before buying it because sometimes they are only free for a short period of time as a promotion.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kin ... =UTF8&tf=1

If you have Prime then there a lot of books are available free to borrow but not to buy. You can also lend books you buy to other Kindle owners.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Pajamas wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:03 pm
rjbraun wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:28 pm I was really surprised to see two books show up as free ($0.00 Kindle price) the other day. These were legitimate books that we (or SO) were interested to buy at full price. I am talking about somewhat obscure books (one on First Nations art, another on Japanese history -- both by respected authors), not normally freebie material. I and especially SO are totally perplexed as to why the books were available for free. Just looked again now, and both books are sold by Amazon Digital Services. I wonder if that is a factor. Regardless, we would be thrilled to have more of these books available for free to download to the Kindle.
There are lots of free books on Amazon, mostly out-of-copyright or as a promotion. Sort search results by price to find them.

The best sellers are organized by category are also divided into free and paid sections but be careful that a book is still free before buying it because sometimes they are only free for a short period of time as a promotion.

If you have Prime then there a lot of books are available free to borrow but not to buy. You can also lend books you buy to other Kindle owners.
Thank you, Pajamas. If I follow you correctly, it seems that you are saying that if a book is free and one downloads it, then it's theirs "forever" (assuming it's not a Kindle Unlimited). But, one needs to be careful as a book can appear as free one day but then no longer be free at a later time. In that case, I guess the idea is to download any book that appears as free if one thinks they may well want it later (within reason).

As for Prime membership, which I have through a family member, I assume that a book shown as free to borrow will state as much and make it clear that it's a loan and not a "forever" book to keep ...?
Last edited by rjbraun on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
praxis

Post by praxis »

Broken Man 1999
Don't know if you're interested, but from a previous thread, I subscribed to Kindle Buffet, at http://www.weberbooks.com/kindle/

Amazon cycles some free and discounted downloads every day that are listed in my daily emails. Like you, I've got a lot on my device. They're not all great, but they're easy to delete once downloaded and I've discovered some authors I like.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

cantos wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:23 pm
Rupert wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:25 am The deals are totally random, I think. I saved $5 yesterday on a USB wall charger that I needed and had been on my wishlist for a few months. This morning Amazon sent me a notice that another item on my wishlist, some noise-cancelling headphones that had been on my list for almost a year, were $75 off. So I bought those. I don't browse the deals because that will likely just result in me impulse buying something I don't need.
You seriously think that Amazon, which mines millions of bytes of data about its users, which has technology beyond what you can probably imagine, which maximizes profit, has RANDOM deals on its biggest sales day?

:confused
You misinterpret me. It's random in the sense that the types of items on sale seem to have no discernible pattern from a customer's perspective. For example, one poster in this thread reported he found laundry detergent on sale. One person found a $58 insta-pot. Others found tablet computers on sale. I found noise cancelling headphones and a USB wall charger on sale. Etc.
victw

Post by victw »

As much as I hate to buy into the Amazon ecosystem I went with a kindle paperwhite.
My Sony is on it's last leg.

Also did the credit card - so ended up with a pretty good deal.

Uggh - but honestly - impulse purchase.

Vic
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Pajamas wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Another "source" of free books is to choose no-rush shipping when ordering normal prime items. Often you will receive $1 credit on digital items to include kindle books. I'm not sure how much credit gets stored or where I can see it on my account, but I have "purchased" my last 5 or so Kindle books for free and also just rented the movie Hostiles on Amazon Prime.

I receive Bookbub emails as another source of discounted books. Often at $.99 or $1.99 for decent books, but I get them free with the above method. I too am running behind on my reading. :(
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

brokendirtdart wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:54 pm I'm not sure how much credit gets stored or where I can see it on my account
Here, I can help you with that:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html? ... 0296831#gc

Click the "Enter Your Code" button and it will show you all of your credit balances. You have to be logged into your Amazon account first, of course. The "Amazon MP3" balance is good for most digital items sold by Amazon, including Kindle books. Lots of Kindle books are sold by the publishers, though.

There are lots of places on the internet to get free e-books, some perfectly legal and some not so much. You can use Calibre, a free program, to add them to your Kindle .

https://calibre-ebook.com/
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Thanks!

$17 in MP3 balances. Time to browse my wish list.
audioaxes

Post by audioaxes »

you would think Amazon's vast resources they would be much more prepared to handle the massive traffic for the deals they had planned out. So much bugginess and lame "limited quantity" deals that sold out before many had a chance to get in.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

audioaxes wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:49 pm you would think Amazon's vast resources they would be much more prepared to handle the massive traffic for the deals they had planned out. So much bugginess and lame "limited quantity" deals that sold out before many had a chance to get in.
You missed deals? I had to refresh a bunch and thought I missed two things I really wanted. Turned out they were still for sale over 24 hours later in stock and ready to ship.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

nalor511 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:44 pm Pretty garbage Prime day this year, IMO, unless you want Amazon tablets
So the same as last year then?

I didn't even bother shopping this year.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

I snagged 3 of the 6 free kindle books. Go me!
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Even though they got off to a slow start and the selection this year was lame, imho, I was able to find a Samsung Tab S3, Panasonic FZ1000 Camera and a Crucial 500gb ssd drive. They were 25-30% below the usual street prices. All things I was in the market for, so I'm happy.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I bought two things that have been on my list for awhile
I wanted the Bose Quiet Comfort 25 (non blue tooth) because of it's excellent noise cancelling features.
Watched it at $300 then $200 then jumped at $140 last year (but too late).
At $125 it was right in the sweet spot.
Also needed a 256GB microSDXC card (save about $20) for my Surface Pro 4
and a few odds and ends.

Was it great - no
But it was good.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Rob5TCP wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:48 am I bought two things that have been on my list for awhile
I wanted the Bose Quiet Comfort 25 (non blue tooth) because of it's excellent noise cancelling features.
and a few odds and ends.

Was it great - no
But it was good.
I looked at those and was very interested but didn't bite since they were non Bluetooth. Their newer model is Bluetooth so I suspect the price will stay somewhat low for the old ones. They did have some Sony ones half price for $100 that I bought.

I got 3 bags of dog pill pockets that I often buy that were about half off.

There were other respectable discounts here and there but nothing that I really wanted. I looked at a roku stick + but ended up buying it on Google store via fry electronics $10 cheaper.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

JBTX wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:01 am
Rob5TCP wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:48 am I bought two things that have been on my list for awhile
and a few odds and ends.

Was it great - no
But it was good.
I looked at those and was very interested but didn't bite since they were non Bluetooth. Their newer model is Bluetooth so I suspect the price will stay somewhat low for the old ones. They did have some Sony ones half price for $100 that I bought.

I got 3 bags of dog pill pockets that I often buy that were about half off.

There were other respectable discounts here and there but nothing that I really wanted. I looked at a roku stick + but ended up buying it on Google store via fry electronics $10 cheaper.
I bought it primarily for noise canceling. When there is construction the noise level can get annoying here. With good headphones on (usually for an hour or so) I can get work done. If I really want the Bluetooth; there is an adapter for sale at $50 or so. I saw the Bose 35 with Bluetooth, but they were quite a bit more expensive and the ANC was the pretty much the same as the Bose 25.
keystone

Post by keystone »

I bought a blink 1 camera security system for $75 which seemed like a good deal. I have been casually looking at security cameras in recent weeks and thought this would be a good opportunity to try one out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZ ... UTF8&psc=1
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

keystone wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:33 pm I bought a blink 1 camera security system for $75 which seemed like a good deal. I have been casually looking at security cameras in recent weeks and thought this would be a good opportunity to try one out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZ ... UTF8&psc=1
I was on the fence about the Blink1.
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts once you receive and begin using it.
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

Bought a $25 gift card and got $5 back, bought $20 of print books (a little more technically) and got $5 back. Also shopped at Whole Foods relatively recently and got $10 towards Amazon.
audioaxes

Post by audioaxes »

kjvmartin wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:11 pm
audioaxes wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:49 pm you would think Amazon's vast resources they would be much more prepared to handle the massive traffic for the deals they had planned out. So much bugginess and lame "limited quantity" deals that sold out before many had a chance to get in.
You missed deals? I had to refresh a bunch and thought I missed two things I really wanted. Turned out they were still for sale over 24 hours later in stock and ready to ship.
I missed out on the $10 fire7/$20 fire8HD deal because the Citi TYP method died before the day was halfway over and I didnt have my Citi card in my wallet to try at work.
Couldnt buy 800 count baby wipes for $8 because the extra discount never showed up on my account for no explained reason.
A few other cheap subscribe and save deals sold out in like a hour that I would have loved to get on.

and with all of these I tried multiple times through the day to see if it went back live again
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

i'm a very satisfied user of spotify, but for 99 cents for 4 months i signed up for amazon music. who knows; maybe i'll can spotify and save a couple bucks a month forever.
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

I ordered a Paperwhite. It should have arrived Wednesday and hasn't shipped yet but supposedly will get tomorrow, Friday. $80 instead of $120. I can't wait to not have to deal with getting and dealing with physical books and killing trees anymore.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Apparently Amazon Prime Day 2018 was a huge success despite the glitches:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zht ... ID=2358868

Blows my mind that they sold 300,000 InstantPots. It's not as if that is a new product.

Best day ever for Kindle e-readers and Fire TV devices and several Echo products. Those aren't new either.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Amazon Prime Day]

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm surprised that no one has posted that today and tomorrow is Amazon Prime day.

I just order a set of LED light bulbs that I needed and saved $5.40 on a Prime Day deal.

(If I missed 2019 or 2020 Prime Day threads, please report the post and I'll merge them into this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I think I'll buy a vacuum cleaner, since ours is 15 years old and corded. I don't mind ordering as long as it's free returns.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I hadn't noticed until this thread.

I went ahead and took a look, but as in years past, there's just too much volume of products I care nothing about to be worth sorting through looking for deals I'm interested in.

I did check my saved for later items and wishlists for any deals, but none of the products I had saved have Prime Day specials.

Keeping a list of products I would consider buying if the price is right is probably how I will continue to handle Prime Day in the future. Amazon's website is too massive and poorly organized to be worth casually browsing.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

About all I've found is $10 off some external drives I was already considering purchasing. Went ahead and bought them because it's still $10 off, but nothing really spectacular bargain-wise.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Two days ago I bought a stack of Blackstone Griddle grease trap liners, and got a $10 credit to use on Prime Day. Apparently I lucked into some promo that I didn’t know about.

So my dog got a new harness, which she desperately needed, and was $20 off. $10 for Prime Day, and $10 for the surprise promo, on a $50 harness. I was going to buy it for full price, so this was serendipity.

And that seemed like enough goodness for one day. I don’t have the patience to search for deals on stuff that I don’t really need yet.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I just bought a 6 pack of Toyota ATF WS lifetime transmission fluid with the $10 off, I was going to buy shortly anyways, as I'm living on borrowed time at 53K miles with no tranny fluid change.

I used to buy good deals and now have a plethora of junk around the house, what a waste. Now I just buy when I actually need something, and I'm on a 10 year plan to get rid of at least 50% of what I own. Planning to downsize 75% of the square footage of home I'm in now in 7-10 years. I need very little, I want even less.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Amazon Warehouse
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

A no brained is the $40 gift card with $50 in credit. Otherwise, Prime Day is meh.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:45 am A no brained is the $40 gift card with $50 in credit. Otherwise, Prime Day is meh.
where are you seeing that?

I had it on Black Friday as an offer, but not today.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

heartwood wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:52 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:45 am A no brained is the $40 gift card with $50 in credit. Otherwise, Prime Day is meh.

https://www.amazon.com/Exclusive-Gift-C ... 4485264011
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:12 am
heartwood wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:52 am

https://www.amazon.com/Exclusive-Gift-C ... 4485264011
Thank you!
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

denovo wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:06 pm There is little 4k media
Are you a time traveler visiting us from 2016? :mrgreen:
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:18 pm
Close. It was 2018 when that post was made.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

iamlucky13 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:37 pm
lazydavid wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:18 pm
Close. It was 2018 when that post was made.
Zoom! tricksy mods merging threads. :)
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

DW and one of our daughters purchased Vitamix blenders today, but I have no one to blame but me. My daughter mentioned she was looking to buy a Vitamix, but they were too expensive. I reminded her that it was Amazon Prime Day and checked prices for her. Apparently, the prices were too good to pass on, as she and DW both bought one. I figured if my family bought two of these (and probably additional attachments in the future), it might be a wise decision to buy some stock in the company. Alas, the Vitamix company is privately owned.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

pahkcah wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:25 pm DW and one of our daughters purchased Vitamix blenders today, but I have no one to blame but me. My daughter mentioned she was looking to buy a Vitamix, but they were too expensive. I reminded her that it was Amazon Prime Day and checked prices for her. Apparently, the prices were too good to pass on, as she and DW both bought one. I figured if my family bought two of these (and probably additional attachments in the future), it might be a wise decision to buy some stock in the company. Alas, the Vitamix company is privately owned.
Will it blend a whole stack of credit cards? :twisted:
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

pahkcah wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:25 pm DW and one of our daughters purchased Vitamix blenders today, but I have no one to blame but me. My daughter mentioned she was looking to buy a Vitamix, but they were too expensive. I reminded her that it was Amazon Prime Day and checked prices for her. Apparently, the prices were too good to pass on, as she and DW both bought one. I figured if my family bought two of these (and probably additional attachments in the future), it might be a wise decision to buy some stock in the company. Alas, the Vitamix company is privately owned.
They make the best smoothie blender hands down. I replaced a Ninja with one (refurb from Amazon) several years ago - still running perfectly. Before the Ninja I had a Cuisinart - Vitamix blows them both away.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:31 pm
Will it blend a whole stack of credit cards? :twisted:
I am told that the blades revolve so rapidly that these blenders can make hot soup in 6 minutes, but I'm sticking to the stove top and microwave. In our case (both DW and me), we are using it to chop up pension dollars. :beer