[Amazon Prime Day]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rjbraun

Re: Amazon Prime Day 2018

Post by rjbraun »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:19 pm I bought 5x (the max) of the Kindle Fire 7" tablet for $9.99 each using the Prime Deal and $.01 of Citi Thank You Points.

Also bought an 8" Kindle Fire tablet for $19.99 with the same method.

Missed out on the 10", however.
I see a Prime Deal Fire 7" tablet available for $19.99. I guess you use Citi TY Points to knock off 10 bucks ..? I don't have TY Points, so I guess the Fire 7" would cost me $19.99 (have Amazon Prime).

I already have an iPad mini but have been debating getting a Fire to use for travel with free wifi, in an effort to keep my iPad secure (as much as possible). Open to input from others if that sounds like a sound strategy ..?
Last edited by rjbraun on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

dsmclone wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 pm
matthewmon wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:27 pm how does this prime day even work I've never done it before. I keep clicking on "shop all deals" and nothing happens?
They've seem to run into some issues. You're probably not missing much, it's way overblown and is nothing like Black Friday deals IMO.
Yes, it appears the site is not working at present or has just been slammed by traffic. The same thing happens to me.
heyeaglefn

Post by heyeaglefn »

denovo wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:06 pm
SuperGrafx wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:36 am The Fire TV 4K Streaming Media device is at $34.99 right now.

That's the lowest price I've seen for that particular model -- it's been around $49 before, but this is definitely the lowest for a new non-refurb unit.

Needless to say, I bought one. Can't wait to try it out on my new 4K tv.
There is little 4k media
There is more and more with Netflix and Amazon now plus Youtube.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

I prefer the Roku to Amazon/Google/Apple devices since they offer the most apps without getting into the content wars between those providers. The Roku streaming stick is $35 just about everywhere right now so no need to buy at Amazon. I did just pick up two plus some car stuff since I had a gift card balance to use up. It took five tries to get to my shopping cart but eventually it went through.
jcpct

Post by jcpct »

Rupert wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:37 pm
dsmclone wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 pm
matthewmon wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:27 pm how does this prime day even work I've never done it before. I keep clicking on "shop all deals" and nothing happens?
They've seem to run into some issues. You're probably not missing much, it's way overblown and is nothing like Black Friday deals IMO.
Yes, it appears the site is not working at present or has just been slammed by traffic. The same thing happens to me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one not seeing anything. Their mobile app is not working either.
NDS

Post by NDS »

Quicken 2018 Premier download (27 month) is @ 50% off. I have a personal objective to junk Quicken - in favor of Gnucash? - but with 10+ years in Quicken including many small stock transactions, I may bite the bullet / hold my nose and give myself a longer ramp off...
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

rjbraun wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 pm
runner3081 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:19 pm I bought 5x (the max) of the Kindle Fire 7" tablet for $9.99 each using the Prime Deal and $.01 of Citi Thank You Points.

I see a Prime Deal Fire 7" tablet available for $19.99. I guess you use Citi TY Points to knock off 10 bucks ..? I don't have TY Points, so I guess the Fire 7" would cost me $19.99 (have Amazon Prime).

I already have an iPad mini but have been debating getting a Fire to use for travel with free wifi, in an effort to keep my iPad secure (as much as possible). Open to input from others if that sounds like a sound strategy ..?
Yes, using even $.01 of points knocked the price down by another $10 on the 7"

https://slickdeals.net/f/11811299-citi- ... amp-40?v=1

Amazon has all of its current Fire tablets on sale now through the end of Prime Day for Prime Members. The sale discount is stackable with previously posted promo for Citi Thank You Rewards card members. After activating the relevant deal(s) on the Citi Promo page. You can buy up to 5 of each tablet category (regardless of tablet color). If you wish to order more than one category of tablet, you must create a unique order for each tablet category. (i.e. Ordering any combo of Fire 7s and Fire HD 8s will not trigger the promo for both. The Fire 7s must be in a separate order from the Fire HD 8s.) If you order fewer than the maximum 5 in a category, you can still create another new order for that same category and order more (ex: You bought 3 Fire HD 8s. You can go back and order 2 more Fire HD 8s.) To get the full Citi promo discount, you only need to apply $0.01 worth of points (1 point) per order.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

dsmclone wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 pm They've seem to run into some issues.
Yes, I can't even log into my Amazon account. Not a good sign since they are the largest provider of cloud services. :shock:

I dropped my Prime membership recently and can't believe how often they make it known that I'm not a member when I'm on the website. So many items and sale prices are restricted to Prime members and if I add something to my card I have to decline signing up for Prime membership. Seems like they have gone a little overboard pushing it at the risk of aggravating customers who don't want it. I can go on Costco's website and sure, some items are available in a store only (yeah, warehouse is what they call it, but it's a store) and they charge 5% extra for non-members but they're not obnoxious about it.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Their webisite is having issues - they very nicely keep showing me an ad to see if I want to go see more of the "Dogs of Amazon".
Either they are being hacked/DDOS'd or just can't handle the load.
They assume showing dog pictures a more pleasure failure method than just stating Sorry without the dog pictures.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:06 pm Their webisite is having issues - they very nicely keep showing me an ad to see if I want to go see more of the "Dogs of Amazon".
Either they are being hacked/DDOS'd or just can't handle the load.
They assume showing dog pictures a more pleasure failure method than just stating Sorry without the dog pictures.
I'm guessing DDOS big time.

Either that or they decided to host their site on Yahoo.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Their site seems to have croaked. Maybe next year.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I was able to purchase something about 10 minutes ago. So it's working, just intermittently.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

" Not a good sign since they are the largest provider of cloud services. ........"
AWS (cloud) is independent and not affected.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I broke down and bought an Alexa Echo. Now I’ll know what time it is and the temperature outside 🙄. Can’t believe I’m paying to have more Amazon in my life.
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

My Amazon app has not worked.

It says: “Sorry something went wrong. We are working on fixing it ( CS 11).”

Well, no business from me.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Finally got in. New Kindle Paperwhite. Old Kindle starting to get wonky. I think it is over 10 years old so I guess it is time.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

wasn't expecting to buy anything but yesterday my coffee maker broke. so i waited til today to shop -- saved $27.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

doctorofcredit.com has a very useful set of information and updated links.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:16 pm Finally got in. New Kindle Paperwhite. Old Kindle starting to get wonky. I think it is over 10 years old so I guess it is time.
Yep. I bit the bullet on that as well.

I had a Kindle for years and then swapped to solely reading on iphone or ipad apps. While I much prefer a real book on the back deck overlooking the park while getting sunburned, I lack the back deck and park after moving and the Kindle is a close second :) .
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Pretty garbage Prime day this year, IMO, unless you want Amazon tablets
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

discounted gift cards
StrangePenguin

Post by StrangePenguin »

I didn't plan to take part. But then I noticed that an item that has lingered on my wish list for a long time -- the Bonavita 1 liter electric kettle (good for making pourover coffee at home) -- is on super sale. So I ordered it.
rob

Post by rob »

Yawn... I don't see the hype but then didn't last year either. I have no clue what deal people got on tablets as they seem fully priced.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Not many decent deals this year IMO. I wouldn’t want to be the engineer who accidentally brought the site down earlier today...
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Amazon has all of its current Fire tablets on sale now through the end of Prime Day for Prime Members. The sale discount is stackable with previously posted promo for Citi Thank You Rewards card members. After activating the relevant deal(s) on the Citi Promo page. You can buy up to 5 of each tablet category (regardless of tablet color). If you wish to order more than one category of tablet, you must create a unique order for each tablet category. (i.e. Ordering any combo of Fire 7s and Fire HD 8s will not trigger the promo for both. The Fire 7s must be in a separate order from the Fire HD 8s.) If you order fewer than the maximum 5 in a category, you can still create another new order for that same category and order more (ex: You bought 3 Fire HD 8s. You can go back and order 2 more Fire HD 8s.) To get the full Citi promo discount, you only need to apply $0.01 worth of points (1 point) per order.
May have been posted already but Amex Membership rewards gives 20% off. I used .01 MR and got 20% discount off the sale price.

Apparently this can be done repeatedly for additional purchases by clicking on the link again.

Instructions here

http://www.milevalue.com/amazon-prime-d ... g-1-point/
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

rob wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 pm Yawn... I don't see the hype but then didn't last year either. I have no clue what deal people got on tablets as they seem fully priced.
Totally agree. Web site issues combined with poor pricing on stuff I don't want seems to be the norm here today. Not that I keep Prime for this day, it does make me question value of Prime. Poor execution.....seems to be a over hyped method of clearing out useless stock.
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Instant Pot has been something we've been curious about for a while, so that was a good featured deal.

Amazon Cloud Camera, marketed as a security device, but looks excellent as a baby monitor. That went on sale for almost 1/2 off.

Baby swing at 50% off. Needed one of those, due in September. Comparison shopped and it's a great deal.

Also got some Cascade and Tide at 25% off.
Ninnie

Post by Ninnie »

A few movies I had my eye on were actually priced higher. So much for that.
Psyayeayeduck

Post by Psyayeayeduck »

I just want to remind everyone that just because something is on "sale" doesn't mean you are obligated to buy if you never needed it in the first place. Carry on.
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

Ninnie wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:13 am A few movies I had my eye on were actually priced higher. So much for that.
The 4-5 items I checked on CamelCamelCamel were all priced at the highest price in the last 12 months...

Amazon pricing just seems to suck in the past few years.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The deals are totally random, I think. I saved $5 yesterday on a USB wall charger that I needed and had been on my wishlist for a few months. This morning Amazon sent me a notice that another item on my wishlist, some noise-cancelling headphones that had been on my list for almost a year, were $75 off. So I bought those. I don't browse the deals because that will likely just result in me impulse buying something I don't need.
JEC

Post by JEC »

Psyayeayeduck wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:27 am I just want to remind everyone that just because something is on "sale" doesn't mean you are obligated to buy if you never needed it in the first place. Carry on.
+1
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Psyayeayeduck wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:27 am I just want to remind everyone that just because something is on "sale" doesn't mean you are obligated to buy if you never needed it in the first place. Carry on.
My wife says this doesn’t apply to shoes.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I didn't know what Amazon prime day is either, I signed up for prime a few months ago...Frankly, I'm already very tired heading about prime day.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Rick Ferri wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:19 am

Rick Ferri
Shoes are a remarkable business. Despite the fact that we only have two feet, demand for shoes appears to have no theoretical upper bound.

A slight digression (but not entirely unrelated), years ago when I lived in Milwaukee I was at a social event with the VP of Marketing for Harley-Davidson. We got talking about market positioning and he went on to tell me that their conceptual marketing model was to view Harley's as "jewelry." A year or two later I walked through town during the 95th H-D anniversary rally and looked at the bikes people were riding and it really sank in what he meant.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Rick Ferri wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:19 am
Yah she is right of course.

The "need" rule also does not apply to clothing, jewelry, phones, tablets, computers, muscle cars, etc.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Don't tell my MIL (and sometimes my wife) that...
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I spent $20 on myself, the other 5 items are to re-sell or gift :)
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I don’t know why this keeps working but the Amex 20% discount appears to work on every order. Just got an Apple $50 gift card for $30 and a Whole Foods $100 gift card for $80.

For each , I only used 1 membership reward point to get the discount and paid the balance with cash (credit card).
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

The MR 20% deal seems to accumulate up to the max over multiple purchases. Along with many others, I got the first and second time to work at the max $500 each. Third time is not the charm today though.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Freefun wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:53 am May have been posted already but Amex Membership rewards gives 20% off. I used .01 MR and got 20% discount off the sale price.

Apparently this can be done repeatedly for additional purchases by clicking on the link again.

Instructions here

Amex cardholders should also check their Amex Offers - many cards earning Membership Rewards points have a 3X offer on Amazon.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Freefun wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:53 am
runner3081 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:51 pm

May have been posted already but Amex Membership rewards gives 20% off. I used .01 MR and got 20% discount off the sale price.

Instructions here

Thank you both for this, but, unfortunately (I suppose), I have neither Citi TY rewards nor Amex MR. Still, all this attention on Amazon Prime Day has me debating whether to get a Fire tablet. At first, I thought I would just get the 7, but now I'm thinking it may be worth springing for the 8 ("only" another $5 for 16GB storage capacity vs 7). So, with the $10 Prime Day credit I got by shopping at Whole Foods it would "only" be $39.99. But, then I need to spend another $15 or so for a case. Not sure how necessary that is, but I figure it makes it easier to use, in addition to providing protection. At over $50 it's not a complete throwaway purchase ... , alas.

Still, the Fire tablet reviews are good, and I could either use it in addition to my iPad which is now several years old or I could give the Fire to my parents, assuming it's reasonably user-friendly.

All I know is that I have spent far too much time on this :confused
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Rupert wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:25 am The deals are totally random, I think. I saved $5 yesterday on a USB wall charger that I needed and had been on my wishlist for a few months. This morning Amazon sent me a notice that another item on my wishlist, some noise-cancelling headphones that had been on my list for almost a year, were $75 off. So I bought those. I don't browse the deals because that will likely just result in me impulse buying something I don't need.
Interesting, wasn't aware that Amazon would automatically notify you of wishlist items dropping in price. I just keep stuff in my basket and casually monitor things, but, of course, that likely just means I end up buying more stuff. Will have to consider using the wishlist going forward, at least for stuff I'm at least somewhat seriously interested to buy. Thanks!
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

2 piece Samsonite spinner set for $119.99
rich126

Post by rich126 »

ThatGuy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:20 am
Ninnie wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:13 am A few movies I had my eye on were actually priced higher. So much for that.
The 4-5 items I checked on CamelCamelCamel were all priced at the highest price in the last 12 months...

Amazon pricing just seems to suck in the past few years.
They have turned into Southwest Airlines. Once upon a time Southwest Airlines had the lowest ticket prices but then they took over markets and it is quite rare they are cheaper than AA, UA and Delta even after figuring in fees.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

rjbraun wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:42 am
Rupert wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:25 am The deals are totally random, I think. I saved $5 yesterday on a USB wall charger that I needed and had been on my wishlist for a few months. This morning Amazon sent me a notice that another item on my wishlist, some noise-cancelling headphones that had been on my list for almost a year, were $75 off. So I bought those. I don't browse the deals because that will likely just result in me impulse buying something I don't need.
Interesting, wasn't aware that Amazon would automatically notify you of wishlist items dropping in price. I just keep stuff in my basket and casually monitor things, but, of course, that likely just means I end up buying more stuff. Will have to consider using the wishlist going forward, at least for stuff I'm at least somewhat seriously interested to buy. Thanks!
I was surprised by that as well. They've never sent me a message like that before. But they did this year. The message was sent via the Amazon app on my phone. Not sure if I would have been notified any other way.
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

Insta-pots are $58.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Rupert wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:42 pm
rjbraun wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:42 am
I was surprised by that as well. They've never sent me a message like that before. But they did this year. The message was sent via the Amazon app on my phone. Not sure if I would have been notified any other way.
Ah, probably the app. Ugh, not sure I want to install another app on my phone. Already added the Whole Foods app to benefit from the Prime Member sales.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

If you keep items in your shopping cart to purchase later, Amazon will notify you of price changes each time you look at your cart. I do that with items that I need to buy but don't need immediately.

Some items have steep price drops for a short period of time, either because someone else is selling it for less or to clear inventory or for other reasons. Sometimes a price will drop incrementally each day for long periods of time and then suddenly return to normal.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

FWIW, I didn't see much that interested me. I did buy a couple of Amazon Dots for additional coverage in our casa. That's it, though.

BTW, if you have a reader, Prime members can download all six "early reads", instead of the normal offer of one out of six. So I have more eBooks to read. These freebies are starting to back up on me! :shock:

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain