September short trip ideas

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dwade1109

September short trip ideas

Post by dwade1109 »

My girlfeiend and I somehow managed to carve out a week in mid September where both of our busy work schedules will allow us to take vacation.

As a young couple without children and not trying to destroy the bank where would you travel from the US Southeast? Ideas we've had include Norway, Croatia, and Rio.

Thanks!
midareff

Re: September short trip ideas

Post by midareff »

http://www.fryemontinn.com/

Drive to and have river rafting, hiking, canoeing, exploring waterfalls, Cades Cove, Smoky Mountains National Park, Smoky Mountains Railroad and much more.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

One week is too short for international trip (ex Canada/Mexico/Central America maybe). You lose two days travel time - way too much travel overhead. Two weeks minimum for Europe and three for Asia.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
midareff

Post by midareff »

jebmke wrote:One week is too short for international trip (ex Canada/Mexico/Central America maybe). You lose two days travel time - way too much travel overhead. Two weeks minimum for Europe and three for Asia.
three for Africa as well.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Having no idea where you've been or like to do, its hard to answer, but I'll throw out Montreal and/or Quebec City.
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Don't listen to those saying you need at least two weeks to go to Europe. You can easily go to Europe even if you only have a week. You will pretty much only see one or two nearby places, but you can do it. In a week's time overlapping weekends, you could easily do Dubrovnik and Split Croatia with a day trip to Mostar or Montenegro and maybe even a day trip to an island. Relatively inexpensive once you get there and weather in mid-September should be great.
zuma

Post by zuma »

What kinds of activities are you interested in?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Traveler wrote:Don't listen to those saying you need at least two weeks to go to Europe. You can easily go to Europe even if you only have a week. You will pretty much only see one or two nearby places, but you can do it. In a week's time overlapping weekends, you could easily do Dubrovnik and Split Croatia with a day trip to Mostar or Montenegro and maybe even a day trip to an island. Relatively inexpensive once you get there and weather in mid-September should be great.
Of course you can. I wouldn't. The ratio of travel to on-site time is too high for me. The travel time is pure dead time in terms of leisure - it is like the ER of leisure. But I am a bit traveled out having traveled probably 50% or more of the last 15 years of my work life.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Europe is quite possible if you can get a relatively efficient flight. Norway would be delightful at that time, you will have generally good weather and less crowded. Croatia might be hard to get to efficiently. Every flight change increases the chances of delays.

You say southeast. If you would be leaving from Atlanta I would look to see what non-stop international flights are available.

IN the US- San Francisco would be a welcome change in climate and will be easy to get to. How about Vancouver?
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

What do you like to do on vacation? Without knowing, it's hard to give advice.
canderson

Post by canderson »

If you truly don't don't want to break the bank, you can eliminate Norway immediately. It's one of the most expensive places on earth.

London would be perfect imo - shortiish flight, good exchange value at the moment, lots to do for free or very inexpensively. No language barrier and easy to do last minute.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

The Appalachian mountains. Summer tourists are gone (no kids!) and some places might have limited hours, but the weather is still pleasant enough that outdoor activities would be fun. September may be a bit too early to see much in the way of fall colors.

If you're not the outdoorsy type, there are resorts in the area where you can be served royally, I'm sure.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

jebmke wrote:One week is too short for international trip (ex Canada/Mexico/Central America maybe). You lose two days travel time - way too much travel overhead. Two weeks minimum for Europe and three for Asia.
No. If you lived on either coast would a trip to the other coast not me suitable unless there for 2 weeks? Of course not. Wife and I have done a few long weekend trips to London, Amsterdam, Belgium, etc. Leave on Thursday, come back Tuesday. If OP hasn't spent much time in Europe, I'd personally recommend London (so much to see and do), Amsterdam (ditto), Edinburgh and nearby regions, Paris. You could even spend a week in Venice (we spent three nights in that little island and still saw only a fraction).
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

tigermilk wrote:
No. If you lived on either coast would a trip to the other coast not me suitable unless there for 2 weeks? Of course not. Wife and I have done a few long weekend trips to London, Amsterdam, Belgium, etc. Leave on Thursday, come back Tuesday. If OP hasn't spent much time in Europe, I'd personally recommend London (so much to see and do), Amsterdam (ditto), Edinburgh and nearby regions, Paris. You could even spend a week in Venice (we spent three nights in that little island and still saw only a fraction).
As I said before, it is doable, just would not be my choice due to the travel overhead. You burn a lot of time in the air/airports/subway from airports into the city relative to the total time allotted. But I got spoiled living in Brussels. Paris in 1hour20 minutes. London in 1.5 hours by train. Amsterdam the same. I wouldn't recommend burning a "weekend" trip to Belgium. Brussels is OK but not a real destination. Most of what is interesting in Belgium requires a car and bicycle.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Not sure what your interests are. The Southeast has plenty of great vacation sites and September is a good time for a couple as things are not as crowded once school starts back. Blue Ridge mountains are a good choice: Asheville and also some smaller, less touristy mountain sites in Western NC. The beaches are nice but September is prime hurricane season but despite the publicity of storms, the odds are in your favor to miss storms (my daughter has lived in Charleston and has only evacuated 3 times in 21 years).

Post more info on the forum and you will get more precise advice.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Grand Canyon & Sedona.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
GKSD

Post by GKSD »

spectec wrote:Grand Canyon & Sedona.
+1 - we (me and DW) did this in 4 days and it was awesome fun. But we drove from San Diego and roadtrip was part of the fun.

Few years back, we did Paris+Versailles in 4 days.

This month we are going to Mount Rainer+Seattle+Other nearby places for a week.
spectec

Post by spectec »

My wife and I did that for our 40th anniversary. Flew into Flagstaff early afternoon and rented a car. Drove to the South Rim via the eastern entrance, and stopping at several lookout points on the way in. Got some great sunset shots before we even arrived at the main South Rim area. We spent 3 nights there, sightseeing and getting wonderful sunrise pictures. Then drove down to Sedona and spent 3 or 4 nights there, seeing the sights and doing a "Pink Jeep" tour. Returned to Flagstaff for an overnight stay, then caught our flight home the next day.

I think the same trip could be done from Phoenix, with driving times slightly longer. (Don't recall now why we flew into & out of Flagstaff)
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Normally I suggest going to the keys but you'll be right in jellyfish season in September so that makes it less fun.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

MrNewEngland wrote:Normally I suggest going to the keys but you'll be right in jellyfish season in September so that makes it less fun.
and hurricane season.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Perhaps a week in Bermuda, or a cruise there.
alaskantraveler

Post by alaskantraveler »

With Just one week, and on a budget, I would look at what direct flights are available from your home airport. The Caribbean is close by. Cruises can be had cheaply check out vacationstogo (90 day ticker).
dm200

Post by dm200 »

dm200 wrote:Perhaps a week in Bermuda, or a cruise there.
Because of its location, unlike the Caribbean, summer is the peak Bermuda travel season, so September is in that period, but after the US summer rush before school starts.
Pranav

Post by Pranav »

I have bookmarked this thread as our family (all adults) is also planning a trip in September / October from southern USA.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

jebmke wrote:
MrNewEngland wrote:Normally I suggest going to the keys but you'll be right in jellyfish season in September so that makes it less fun.
and hurricane season.
It's football season, why leave the Southeast then, that's the best time to be there :happy
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

As a rule, it is normally better to keep on the long side in either financial positions, or vacations.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Crimsontide wrote:It's football season, why leave the Southeast then, that's the best time to be there :happy
Living in Gainesville, I'd say it's the best time to escape. <smile>
Topic Author
dwade1109

Post by dwade1109 »

Thanks for all of the great thoughts! I should have been more specific about what we are looking to do: either something that offers cooler hikes (mountains), historic city tourism, or ideally a combination of the two.

We are on a budget in the sense we are not looking for the most expensive vacation but given we never get a week off together we were looking to travel somewhere further, either West Coast or Europe. We would be flying from Miami so our nonstop international options are more limited to Europe but can get to Oslo, Prague, or Split with a single stop.

We also considered Morocco but are thinking may want more time for that one day in future. Domestic options included Crater Lake or Grand Canyon. We want something we would not be able to do in a long weekend.

Thanks! Keep the ideas coming.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Montreal is a good choice. I think someone mentioned it before. Historic, great food city. Fairly easy to get to. Have not explored areas outside the city but they might fit your desire for outdoor activities as well.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Make your way to LAX and take advantage of Air New Zealand's current $550 sale to the Cook Islands. It's a 10-hour nonstop redeye, so you are not losing much time. September's a good time. Outbound on Saturday night, arrive back in LA at noon the following Saturday.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

SrGrumpy wrote:Make your way to LAX and take advantage of Air New Zealand's current $550 sale to the Cook Islands. It's a 10-hour nonstop redeye, so you are not losing much time. September's a good time. Outbound on Saturday night, arrive back in LA at noon the following Saturday.
Sure is!!!

In the 90's, I ended up taking this LONG (Samoan Airlines) air trip on my way to American Samoa, via Western Samoa, on my job.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

dwade1109 wrote:
Domestic options included Crater Lake or Grand Canyon.
I just got back from Oregon. Crater Lake is great. We stayed there 2 nights and felt that was a decent enough amount of time.

Lodging inside the national park is limited, so you may want to look now to see if anything is even available. We booked 7 months ahead of time and got one of two remaining cabins. The lodge hotel right by the water gets booked out a year in advance.