What newspaper or magazine do you pay for?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
simplesimon

What newspaper or magazine do you pay for?

Post by simplesimon »

Discussion is not limited to news or business publications but it's what I was most curious about. I find that magazines like Businessweek, Golf, or Men's Health and Fitness have way too many ads.

I read NYT online in the mornings and use a Google workaround to read articles I want once I'm past the 10 free articles/month and have wondered if it was worth subscribing to.

I currently subscribe to The Economist and Harvard Business Review and have wondered if it's worth adding to or substituting what I have.
Jack FFR1846

Re: What newspaper or magazine do you pay for?

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Haven't bought a newspaper in 20 years. Subscribe to no magazines. When my AA miles are about to expire, I use them to order a bunch of random magazines that seem to auto renew for $0. I've been getting Autoweek for about 3 years but haven't paid a cent.

I've yet to find anything I can't get for free on the internet, so why?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke »

None. I can get all the articles/information I want for free online.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I subscribe to the local paper to get the local news. This news is generally not available online for free. I live in a mid-sized city away from a metropolitan area.

I just switched to a digital only subscription for $25/yr.

I get the rest of my news for free off the internet.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Topic Author
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:I've yet to find anything I can't get for free on the internet, so why?
Maybe this just applies to business but I feel the writing and analysis is lacking in free content.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

New York Times (M-F print + digital), Washington Post (digital), Los Angeles Times (Su + digital), The New Yorker, The Atlantic, London Review of Books, Los Angeles Review of Books, Talking Points Memo plus contributions to my local PBS and (two) NPR stations. Altogether, the cost is about $700 per year.

I could get most, if not all, of the content for free, but I don't mind paying for high quality information. If someone doesn't pay, content will disappear or be determined solely by advertisers.
Last edited by anonenigma on Tue May 09, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Local newspaper (used to get two, but one converted to online-only). I keep that subscription for two reasons. One, I much, much prefer reading hardcopy than reading something online. I've tried it both ways, and found I read 10x more stories in the physical paper than if I'm on their site. Two, it's a way to support a medium that can investigate things and also document in a permanent form the events of the day.
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

I subscribed to the NY Times home weekend delivery about 5 months ago, which also gives me unlimited online access. I thought it would be nice to read a physical paper than staring at a phone or computer screen, especially for long reads. Since I have a young child, i almost never have time to even browse the huge amount of content delivered each weekend. I may cancel the home delivery after the 6 month promo period (its 50% off normal price) and keep the digital access, but is only an additional $5/mo for home delivery.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

National Review for the conservative point of view.

Time for the liberal point of view.

I keep thinking I need to subscribe to the Economist, but it's pretty pricy.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Oh, and I cannot read newspapers.

Absolutely drives me crazy to read half a story then go to section A2, page 4. Plus you need a table to read a newspaper.

Magazines I can hold in one hand and read anywhere. And a three page story is on three consecutive pages (Crazy idea, I know!)
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

I don't pay for a newspaper or magazine subscription. Occasionally I might sign up for a free 1 year subscription of a cat magazine when I redeem points I get for buying a certain brand of cat liter.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Just let my last two magazine subscriptions lapse. Now I just get the local newspaper for local events.

{Edited to add that my wife still gets around two dozen magazines a week, all sent to her free without a subscription due to her being a doctor. 99% of them go straight to the recycling bin.}
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

None. Read a lot of news but what's available for free is sufficient. I prefer reading (both news and books) on my tablet as I can make everything large print.
Jack FFR1846 wrote:When my AA miles are about to expire, I use them to order a bunch of random magazines...
You do know you could order just one and that would reset the expiration date for your remaining miles? Any activity, earning or using even 1 mile, resets expiration for all miles to 18 months from the date of activity.
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

I had a bunch of airline miles expiring so subscribed to about 6 or 7 things last year. I hadn't subscribed to Barons or Money in a long time and both are really good. Also added ESPN the Mag. Sunset was another. They were "free" so why not!? Then I found one of those online sites where you give opinions in exchange for magazine subscriptions. You give 5 minutes and you get a free magazine subscription. I think I got Men's Health through that. Fun fun!
beyou

Post by beyou »

What is the best deal to get a discounted online WSJ subscription ?
FraggleRock

newspapers and/or magazines we "pay" for

Post by FraggleRock »

5280 (pay $)
Cooking Light (airline miles, will be dropped when expires)
Cooks' Illustrated ($, will be dropped in 2018 as we shift money to Milk Street Cooking)
Dwell ($)
Entertainment Weekly ($)
Fine Cooking ($)
Fine Homebuilding ($)
GQ (am)
Kitchen & Bath Design News (controlled circulation)
Modern in Denver ($)
New York (am)
NY Times - Sunday ($)
People (am)
Residential Design (cc)
Time ($)
Vanity Fair ($)
Vogue (am)
Wall Street Journal (am)
Wine Spectator ($)
Last edited by FraggleRock on Wed May 10, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwblue

Post by jwblue »

USA Today delivered to our home during the week. Articles are very concise and well written. On weekends there is an online edition.

Los Angeles Times on the weekend.
mrc

Post by mrc »

anonenigma wrote:New York Times (M-F print + digital), Washington Post (digital), Los Angeles Times (Su + digital), The New Yorker, The Atlantic, London Review of Books, Los Angeles Review of Books, Talking Points Memo plus contributions to my local PBS and (two) NPR stations. Altogether, the cost is about $700 per year.

I could get most, if not all, of the content for free, but I don't mind paying for high quality information. If someone doesn't pay, content will disappear or be determined solely by advertisers.
Washington Post (Su + digital), New York Times (digital), The Atlantic (print + digital), The New Yorker (print + digital), New Scientist, PBS, NPR. Get old The Economist from a work friend. For the same reasons as anonenigma. Use to get The Village Voice, but that paper became irrelevant. Also Time and Newsweek starting in Watergate era, but those two mags declined.

Forgot Fine Homebuilding (recently dropped Cooking, Gardening, and Woodworking after many years).
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

None. All of the newspapers and magazines that I read can be read online for free using Chrome, an Incognito window in Chrome, or by using a Google search to access the article or find it elsewhere. Many of the articles online are available in multiple places; as an example, someone was having trouble accessing an article on the Wall Street Journal yesterday, but the same article was also available on Yahoo Finance. I also block all ads.
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

New York Times (digital)
KERA, my local NPR radio station (I used to give monthly now I give a token donation sporadically)
Money Magazine (included with my FPA membership but I used to subscribe before I was a member)
Financial Planning Journal (included with my FPA membership)

I will say Bloomberg Businessweek used to come with my FPA membership, and I was surprisingly pleased with the content. I looked forward to getting that more than anything. Very thoughtful, balanced and creative content with a more modern presentation - funky graphics, light hearted puns, etc. I've thought of subscribing, but the weekly delivery is too much and they pile up and stress me out because I don't want to chunk them without reading. I highly recommend it though.

Husband used to subscribe to The Economist, but it's too dense for us to get through regularly enough to justify the fee. I buy Oprah Magazine which I enjoy and used to subscribe to Wall Street Journal but can read that free at work now (along with other local business journals).
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

blevine wrote:What is the best deal to get a discounted online WSJ subscription ?
I believe they have it for free on rewardsurvey. I have to go through a questionnaire to check but I believe it's often available there. Check it out. Cool way to get free mags. I am 99% online WSJ is there.
CLine

Post by CLine »

The Economist.

Smart, concise, comprehensive reporting on global news, business, technology and culture, with minimal advertising. Print and online subscriptions include many extras such as full audio versions, newsletters, special reports and more. Expensive, but worth it -- it's the only magazine I continue to find indispensable year after year.
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

The Economist. With a school-affiliated email you can get the student discount. Read it cover to cover every week.
BogleMe

Post by BogleMe »

First Things, Salisbury Review, The New Criterion, The American Conservative - all essay-oriented magazines.
AnnieK

Post by AnnieK »

blevine wrote:What is the best deal to get a discounted online WSJ subscription ?
Go to gaschoolstore.com. It is a school fundraising web site. Choose a school local to you. You will get digital and print WSJ for $99 for 6 months or $198 for a year. The school will get a portion of that. It is good for new subscriptions or renewals. This is one of the few sites that WSJ considers a legit 3rd party reseller.

This was recommended to me by another Bogleheader though I can't recall who. I have been very happy with it.
SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 »

I subscribe to The Houston Chronicle, The New York Times (weekends), The New Yorker magazine, Naval History magazine, and Now Playing (TCM Viking guide). I guess my view is that journalism ain't free but propaganda is -- hence, a good reason to view "free" internet news with considerable skepticism.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

I no longer subscribe to any periodicals. I've found that my local library offers a decent selection online for 'free' (meaning no out of pocket of cost, but obviously the library is funded through tax dollars). I don't necessarily read each issue but they have Newsweek, O Magazine, Kiplingers, Smithsonian, Conde Nast Travel, Forbes, Fortune, Bloomberg, NatGeo and on and on. For a variety of random, yet interesting, articles, I go to longform.org about once a week or so. They curate articles from around the web daily.

I do read the NYT and WashPost online. I previously purchased a WSJ promo, something like $1 for the first 12 weeks. I found that I couldn't keep up with a daily paper and the content doesn't hold my interest enough. On the positive side, if you like the content, the subscription is probably worth it because they have a number of contests and other offerings for subscribers. I actually won a pair of tix (including some type of reception prior) to a show in NYC.

-Steph
beyou

Post by beyou »

LarryAllen wrote:
I believe they have it for free on rewardsurvey. I have to go through a questionnaire to check but I believe it's often available there. Check it out. Cool way to get free mags. I am 99% online WSJ is there.
Tried the survey.... no WSJ among the list of rewards offered.
Lots of glossy magazines though.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I could not live happily without a local newspaper. I take 2 newspapers...local and largest state. Magazines I subscribe to are Money, Kiplinger, Consumer Reports and AARP. Yes, I like and learn from all!!
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Last magazine I subscribed to was LinuxFormat. It's been quite a while since I let that lapse. Even longer since I had a subscription to a paper magazine, when I last read LinuxFormat it was on my iPad (using Zinio).
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Steve723

Post by Steve723 »

We're old school - and we're "only" in our mid-40s! My wife and I get the local paper and Wall Street Journal delivered to the house every morning. We eat breakfast in the dining room, where spreading out the newspaper is not a problem. I also like the fact that there are no video ads jumping out at me, no offensive click bait, and that basically everything is static.
Ninnie

Post by Ninnie »

Financial Times. Where other newspapers get their news.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Since nearly every Newspaper has become so biased in either one political direction or the other I no longer subscribe to any. I suppose I could get the 2 major papers for my area and read both (like switching between CNN and Fox for news) but the bias reporting has me not wanting to pay either. I read Reuters, Bloomberg and AP online or on my phone (have their Apps) now for basic news.
I get Kiplinger's and Money (Free with Airline Points; but I think they are cheap enough without) as they provide some okay personal finance and consumer information (I don't follow their stock or fund advise).
One of my hobbies is photography so I subscribe to Outdoor Photographer as well.
I occasionally read Havard Business Review articles online - have considered subscribing for the print editions (just haven't bit the bullet yet).
Before the days of the Internet I had many more subscriptions (Time, Nat-Geographic, Smithsonian, Popular Science, Consumer Reports, ...) but not any longer.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We subscribe to the Sunday local paper. I subscribe to the daily WSJ with points that I take an occasional survey to earn. I also subscribe to one special interest print magazine. Other than that I subscribe a few free special interest email newsletters that hit most of the highlights of the other magazines (paper or online) I used to pay for. I very occasionally subscribe to Consumer Reports online if we're considering a significant purchase (i.e major appliance). I have a Google news homepage set up.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Tue May 09, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
OneWorld111

Post by OneWorld111 »

Hi BHs:

New York Times print weekdays (attempted to stop but the content is really good)
Fortune print (good articles and not expensive)
National Geographic print (topics which you wouldn't read elsewhere)

I do admit there is not enough time to read all of them..

Energy1213
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Maverick3320 wrote:The Economist. With a school-affiliated email you can get the student discount. Read it cover to cover every week.
+1 on the Economist. It ain't cheap, but it's a great read. I find "weekly" to be about the appropriate time period for news. Long enough that some of the franticness of a given story has mellowed out, but short enough not to be out of the loop.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
Toons

Post by Toons »

Washington Post,Digital Version
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
celia

Post by celia »

AnnieK wrote:
Go to gaschoolstore.com. It is a school fundraising web site. Choose a school local to you. You will get digital and print WSJ for $99 for 6 months or $198 for a year. The school will get a portion of that. It is good for new subscriptions or renewals. This is one of the few sites that WSJ considers a legit 3rd party reseller.

This was recommended to me by another Bogleheader though I can't recall who. I have been very happy with it.
Thank you. I occasionally see it available using airline miles but not recently.

We subscribe to Time and Fortune (using airline miles), Economist, The Independent Advisor for Vanguard Investors (Dan Wiener) for another point of view, Popular Science, AARP (which takes 5 minutes to read), Consumer Reports, local library supporters newsletter, local public garden supporters newsletter, and various specialized genealogy magazines. I save the latter in my archives with various articles tagged. I even buy more back issues when societies have book sales or are cleaning out their surplus.

In particular, I save the issues where I have a published article since I consider it part of my family history. The content isn't about our family, but usually some method of searching or resource that other genealogists may be interested in for particular ethnic groups.

We walk to the newsstands and pay the high price for the local newspapers. It is our "reward" for exercising. It is cheaper than gym membership and the same distance.
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

I have dropped my NY Times subscription after over 40 years as I found the reporting became biased. I used to get Kiplingers. I noticed that it too was getting too political for me so I have not renewed. So now I have no subscriptions and do not miss them.
Last edited by Good Listener on Wed May 10, 2017 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
dave_k

Post by dave_k »

CLine wrote:The Economist.

Smart, concise, comprehensive reporting on global news, business, technology and culture, with minimal advertising. Print and online subscriptions include many extras such as full audio versions, newsletters, special reports and more. Expensive, but worth it -- it's the only magazine I continue to find indispensable year after year.
Another +1 for The Economist. Worth every penny! I also read a fair amount of news online for free, but I would be missing a lot of great stuff without The Economist.
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

blevine wrote:
LarryAllen wrote:
Tried the survey.... no WSJ among the list of rewards offered.
Lots of glossy magazines though.
Try again in a couple weeks. They change up a few every week or two. I am 99% sure WSJ online was offered recently.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

WSJ (digital and hard copy)
Local paper (digital)
Wash. Post (digital)
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

I routinely read more than the NYT allotment, and do not subscribe. It's all about cookie management.

I pay for dead tree subscriptions to:
1. The Atlantic.
2. The local fish wrap.

Item 2 has really become pathetic: down to 2 days a week, consisting mostly of regurgitation of local police reports, press releases, sports coverage, and blogging passed off as news. The disappearance of journalism at the local level concerns me greatly. Without it, there is no check on local incompetence and corruption.

As a result I subscribe only out of a despairing sense of civic duty. If there was some way I could sponsor a journalist directly, I would rather do that. In any case, we are in urgent need of a new business model to support local news; I see no viable solutions on the horizon.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I usually only buy magazines with a kid fundraiser "requires" me to buy. :shock:

Runner's World
Money
Kiplinger's

I think Kiplinger's ran out this month. I do enjoy all three and keep them by the porcelain throne.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

1) I buy the WSJ from the drugstore 1-2X a week, always on Saturday and sometimes Tuesday or Wednesday.
2) I have a subscription to Consumer Reports, but I am thinking of not renewing it at the end of this year.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

1) Wall Street Journal, home delivery.

2) our local paper, home delivery.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle »

Interesting to see the range of responses

I do not subscribe or pay for any newspaper or magazine. I get my news online. Although sometimes magazines such as Mens Health, Sports Illustrated, or Maxim will randomly start showing up in my name, and I never get a bill. Mostly they get recycled
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

I read free news.

Magazines:

Entertainment Weekly
Washingtonian (Local DC magazine)
Health
Travel & Leisure
National Geographic Travel
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

I've subscribed to The Economist for 20 years, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep that. I really enjoy their in-depth features on technology and business developments. However, their political reporting has picked up a more pronounced bias year by year and is no longer much different from the NYT or WAPO. Really a shame, because they used to have a more unique and independent voice that wasn't reliably left or right.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Digital edition - Washington Post
Digital Edition - Crain's Business (Chicago)
The Atlantic
Foreign Affairs
Bon Appetit
International Living
St. Louis Magazine