More Zenni Optical Questions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
btenny

More Zenni Optical Questions

Post by btenny »

My wife needs new sun glasses. She lost her old ones. :oops: But when we go to the Zenni site and put in the good frames and progressive colored lenses with polarization they are expensive. Yep the price on Zenni is $140+ and they were for frames she did not like. Most of the frames she liked on Zenni would not accept progressive lenses and do not seem very large. But if there is a big cost savings she might accept them.

So the question is what are we missing or doing wrong at Zenni? Costco frames and good dark progressives lenses with coatings are $194 + . Plus at Costco she gets the big frames she likes. So where is the big savings?

ANy ideas or suggestions?????
jhfenton

Re: More Zenni Optical Questions

Post by jhfenton »

The pair of glasses I bought for my daughter in December were $16.11 plus shipping. It was a low-level single-vision prescription with the basic geeky but trendy frames that she wanted.

Without knowing the cost-breakdown on your wife's order, I assume it's the progressive colored lenses. They may just not be competitive on those.
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

As mentioned, impossible to say with the limited info you provided. I can tell you, though, that I bought a pair of proper-sized glasses with progressive lenses with appropriate coatings along with two sets of polarized sunglass clipons for just over $60 last year. The basic glasses were not sunglasses, but don't remember that being a significant additional expense. They do offer a range of lens materials, and that can make some difference. You don't need the most expensive though. I think you may want to go thru the online selection with her to see where the additional cost came in.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

That's pretty darn cheap, try your local optometrist and see if you can get out for under $500 without insurance...
Topic Author
btenny

Post by btenny »

Yes I know about optometrist costs. The glasses she lost cost $400 or more. They were Versace over sized frames. She really liked them but they are gone. So any step to replace them is less......

The gotcha is no frames on Zenni are "nice and big". But she might accept a few if they are really cheap. She found one set for $39. Those would be OK according to her. The bigger sun glass frames on Zenni did not accept progressives lenses or her prescription per their web site. The lenses were $98 for Progressive tinted lenses with UV protection and good plastic lenses and dark gray color tinting.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

You are looking at a lot of add-ons that raise the price. I've ordered progressive sunglasses from them for myself and my family. You are comparing the cost of progressive glasses with some bells and whistles to single vision glasses with the cheapest lenses and frames.

Price out the glasses she wants at some bricks and mortar places. We have found BJS Warehouse has a great optical service with good specials. I would guess Costco is good if you have one. We don't. BJS was still more expensive than Zenni even with a special on sunglasses, but not by a ton.
kramer

Post by kramer »

I got progressive lenses for regular glasses on Zenni and they were not done very well. At almost the same time, I got a pair at Costco that were done much better.

My lesson is that I would only do a simple prescription through Zenni. I have gotten single prescription glasses for myopia on Zenni and they were fine.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

Have you looked into getting glasses at Warby Parker? I got a few glasses from Zenni years ago, but now all my glasses come from WP. I've been very happy with them.
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

OP, I've found zenni to be something like 1/8 of retail optical for comparable untinted glasses with fairly strong myopia, astigmatism, progressive with $ trivex lense material and AR coating for about $100. I've been happy with the vision and really happy not paying $800 + my time for a pair of glasses. As noted, they're only somewhat less than or comparable with costco, bjs, warby and likely similar to some other online only shops. Some of the reasons they are cheaper is no shop, that you are responsible for your prescription & PD and finding a frame size appropriate for your face.

Agreed, there's the style thing. you might or might not find a frame you like. They do show you the frame parameters, which is helpful. I try to stick with frames very close to dimensions I know work on my head and for my prescription. I usually get frames with adj. nose pads so I can fit them to my nose and get them to ride properly vertically vs my pupils, which helps to dial in the progressive bit.

I recently got single-vision non-polarized sunglasses in mid-index lenses with AR for $36 total. I find the much wider focus of single-vision lenses good for outdoor activities and driving. For my regular progressives, I either get frames with magnetic or add-on clip-ons (the zenni add-ons are cheap, work, but are probably worth about what they cost) for, say running to the store where I might need to read something.

The lense material, coatings and tinting can add up, but also @ retail.

HTH
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Youre still getting a steal of a price compared to anything out there. It's your addons that are pumping up the price. Go to your local retail outlet, and you'll get a quote 10x (literally) what Zenni is asking for all those addons on top.

The <$40 Zenni glasses are for no fancy add-ons. But at Zenni, even the addons cost a fraction of what retailers will charge.

Costco is probably the best bet for local retail - I don't think you can go wrong there so if your wife like what she's seeing at Costco, just get that one - I think the added convenience of having it local is worth the small extra cost over Zenni.
mckaydw

Post by mckaydw »

I've ordered a lot of glasses from Zenni and I've generally been very happy with the value.

I don't think sunglasses are zenni's strength. Polarized raises the price considerably if I remember right.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I've been way happier with the quality at eyebuydirect than I was with Zenni. EBD also has a 365 day warranty instead of Zenni's 14 day. Prices were the same, better selection at EBD, faster shipping too.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Make sure you are comparing similar materials and features. I found that Costco was at least 50% more than Zenni. However, cost is not important if the product is not going to meet your wife's expectations.

Personally, I do not think I would want progressives and polarized sunglasses in the same pair of eyeglasses. But, since she has had them before, that combo must work for her.
Topic Author
btenny

Post by btenny »

Why would polarizing not be good with progressive lenses? Polarizing cuts down sun light glare when it is bright out side. So if you need to read the map or the dashboard at close range in the bright sun you need polarizing and close range lenses. Correct? Likewise you need to see clearly at a distance for driving in sun glasses so you need polarized glass to reduce glare.

So after a lot of searching and trying to get a order sun glasses from Zenni we gave up. We just found that Zenni and the other on line glass places are not set up to do nice progressive sun glasses. We found they charge a lot for good lenses and do not offer progressives in big frames.

Yesterday my wife placed her order for exactly what she wants with Costco. She got large plastic frames with dark tinted lenses that are progressives and polarized and coated. The total cost was $194 including tax and fees. Not cheap but low cost.