Buying expensive car, how to keep payments low?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tin369

Buying expensive car, how to keep payments low?

Post by tin369 »

Hi all,

I have a rav4 which has about 128,000 miles and I have had the car for about 7 years now. I want to buy a new car (luxury) and considering the Q7. The price as optioned comes out to around $67,000, CarMax gave me a quote of $7000 for the RAV4, if I trade in the rav4 my cost for the q7 will be $60,000 and any discount I get on top of the MSRP.

I don't know if I want to sell my rav4 for $7000 as I can keep it as a 3rd car as a beater.

If I don't sell the rav4, I can either take a $67,000 loan for 72-74 months (Audi lease is really expensive), or should I put a $10-$15000 down payment to have a lower Monthly payment. With a 3% loan rate the monthly payment is coming close to $1000, which is really high.

Should I put more money down, I was thinking of using the cash to invest instead. What do you guys think?
bloom2708

Re: Buying expensive car, how to keep payments low?

Post by bloom2708 »

Stolen from another post: https://vimeo.com/41152287

Watch before buying. :shock:
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

"No" to all. Is that an option?

JT
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

How about the new VW Atlas, well equipped for $40k.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

If you can't pay cash, you need to consider a cheaper vehicle.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Usually when someone is concerned about the payment amount and not the total cost its a red flag that they are buying too expensive of a car due to cashflow limitations.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Boy did you pick the wrong forum to ask your question. I bet half a dozen people tell you to buy a Honda Fit instead.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Rupert wrote:Boy did you pick the wrong forum to ask your question. I bet half a dozen people tell you to buy a Honda Fit instead.
If the OP had said:

I have $70k cash saved up for my next car purchase. Should I buy the Q7 or the LS 460?

That would have been a "slam dunk". :shock:

We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

What is your networth? A $67k car is a huge expense for most people.

The payment is really high because the sales price is really high..
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Hmmm... looking at the calendar... was the first post floating in cyberspace for four days? :wink:
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

Rupert wrote:Boy did you pick the wrong forum to ask your question. I bet half a dozen people tell you to buy a Honda Fit instead.
That's what I was thinking when I read the OP. There's a lot of millionaires driving Corollas on this board, but I say, if you got the money, go ahead and splurge. :beer

I got the "fancy car itch" taken care of and will be buying a really nice used Lexus next time. I found the stress from worrying about my kids' bikes scratching my "fancy" car, and other such things, not worth it.
Last edited by Flashes1 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

tin369 wrote:....loan for 72-74 months
Among all the other problems a big red flag is getting a car loan that last longer than the car warranty.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Watty wrote:
tin369 wrote:....loan for 72-74 months
Among all the other problems a big red flag is getting a car loan that last longer than the car warranty.
And one that lasts about as long as you have owned your current car.

You should be able to afford to buy a car in cash. If not, you probably can't afford.

If you can afford to pay cash, but choose to finance because you are getting a good rate, that's a different story but sounds like it's not the case in this situation.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Flashes1 wrote:
That's what I was thinking when I read the OP. There's a lot of millionaires driving Corollas on this board, but I say, if you got the money, go ahead and splurge. :beer

I got the "fancy car itch" taken care of and will be buying a really nice used Lexus next time. I found the stress from worrying about my kids' bikes scratching my "fancy" car, and other such things, not worth it.
Yeah I already worry enough about dings and scratches driving a Ford Escape. I don't think my wife would let me get a fancy car, I already drive her crazy.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Topic Author
tin369

Post by tin369 »

Can I delete this thread, :D I sure should not have asked this question on here.

Some people regardless of how rich they are don't care about what car they drive and that's fine, but I am sure they all or all of you have something that excited you and you splurge on those things.

Yes I don have $70,000 but I would rather keep it liquid instead of putting that into a depreciating asset. I plan on keeping the car longer so thought a longer loan should be ok.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Rupert wrote:I bet half a dozen people tell you to buy a Honda Fit instead.
Or a Subaru
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

We're looking to buy a car over the summer, and are leaning towards the Q7 as well. We'll be keeping our payments low by making a very large downpayment. We should have pretty close to enough between our "car/misc fund" and the $7-9k we expect on our trade that we could pay cash, but my wife wants to leave some of that money alone, so we'll be taking a loan in the $10-20k range, probably for 5 years, because the rates are the same as 4 years. $20k @ 1.99% (current credit union rate) for 5 years is $350/mo, which is quite manageable, considering the ESPP flows we use to replenish the "car/misc fund" roll in at about $3500/quarter. If we carried the loan to term, we'd pay just over $1k in interest. But knowing my wife it'll be gone within a year. :mrgreen:

If you're considering financing for six years or more, it's likely you're buying more car than you can comfortably afford. Make a much bigger downpayment, trade in the Rav4, or both, to get to a financed balance that is comfortable to carry for a 3-5 year loan at most. If those numbers don't work, you may want to look at a less expensive car. LOTS of great options around the $40-45k range.
Last edited by lazydavid on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

tin369 wrote:Hi all,

I have recently found this wonderful online community and started saving and investing in 401k. I am 34 and wife is 32. I drive a RAV4 V6 which I will be done paying for in two months and my wife drives 328i and the lease is up in June this year.
My mentality has changed in the last couple of weeks from being a spender to getting into saving mode. Initially were thinking of replacing her 328i with an X3 and do another 3 year lease, but now am reconsidering. We both love driving the BMW but are thinking of saving money and buying a Honda Accord and saving some money in car payments. However at the same time, we also are feeling that we wont be young and will never get this time back. Yes we will be saving money, but spending it when we are old instead of enjoying our youth.

What do you guys think? I just want to hear from people and if they struggled with the same thoughts and how they made their decisions.
tin369 wrote:Hi all,

Need to get some advice from the BH community. I have a 2009 RAV4 V6 and need to get something bigger. I started out with the MDX, XC90 and then found out about the GL450, a 2014 CPO can be had for around $50,000 or so.

I was wondering if buying a CPO would make sense since it has already gone through the initial depreciation. Do any of you own this car and if so, how do you like it, whats been your maintenance cost so far? A CPO extended warranty can also be bought thus extending the warranty.

I am also researching about GEICO mechanical breakdown insurance, does any one know anything about it? I did test drive and it felt big, considering what I currently rive, but I am telling myself that I will get used to the size within a week or so, just like your eyes adjust to that Big screen tv after a couple days.

I also am considering the new Q7, will lease it I guess, but not sure yet, if the Q7 although not as big as the GL450, would be more car like in term or driving and comfort.

and lastly which banks has the lowest rates for financing used cars? I was initially thinking of putting down $10,000 as down payment, but with low interest rates would it make sense to invest that $10,000 or use it as a down payment to have lower monthly payment?
tin369 wrote:Well we always wanted to drive a BMW, so got the 328i and I drive it during weekends.
She likes how it handles and the power, which i do too, the first time i drove the BMW, it felt so connected to the road and how it handles is something that can only be experienced not described.

However, there are things that we don't like, the interior feels cheap for a $45000 sedan, and you need to keep adding option after options to get it to what competitors mostly gives as standard features.

It will be just me wife and our child for now, but like i said before the RAV4 takes care of being a family car. So do we really need another SUV?

Found several threads started by the OP on the same subject going back to 2015. Always the same general advice but it appears the OP doesn't want to heed it.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

You say the Audi lease is really expensive. I don't really know Audi mini vans very well so have no direct experience but have owned an A4 and S4 and their values dropped like a rock. I expect that this is why the lease is so expensive. Residual value is dirt. How long would you plan to keep the Audi? I would very much recommend that before the factory warranty is over with you look into an Audi factory extended warranty. With my A4, I thought about it but dumped the car instead as it had over $20k in warranty work done. I kept it a short time (months) past the warranty and it only cost about $500 in repairs in those few months.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

tin369 wrote:Can I delete this thread, :D I sure should not have asked this question on here.

Some people regardless of how rich they are don't care about what car they drive and that's fine, but I am sure they all or all of you have something that excited you and you splurge on those things.

Yes I don have $70,000 but I would rather keep it liquid instead of putting that into a depreciating asset. I plan on keeping the car longer so thought a longer loan should be ok.
Fair enough. I'm sure there is a way to delete the thread. If you read all the posts and still get a 7 year loan on the $70k car, that is completely and totally within your control. We won't care one bit. A thread on any topic will bring out responses you might expect or not expect. I like the fact that there are things I haven't even come close to thinking about. Parting with the cash is the best way to make the purchase. It makes it real and present. Good luck!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

tin369 wrote:Can I delete this thread, :D I sure should not have asked this question on here.

But you are looking at a $70,000 "splurge". If I spluge on a vacation, I can take many of them for $70k.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

tin369 wrote:Yes I don have $70,000 but I would rather keep it liquid instead of putting that into a depreciating asset. I plan on keeping the car longer so thought a longer loan should be ok.
There are two general reasons for wanting to keep the $70,000:

1. Fear. You are buying too much vehicle and, even though you have the funds, you really need the funds for something else (retirement, emergency fund, future down payment, whatever); or,

2. Greed. You have enough to cover everything, but think maybe you can do better than 3%, after inflation and taxes, in the market.

If it's 1, stick with the RAV 4 or buy something other than a $70,000 vehicle.

If it's 2, you are taking a lot of risk and not getting fully compensated for taking the risk. Are your finances such that you can deal with the consequences of such risk? If so, and you want to gamble, go for it. But it's not a gamble where the odds are in your favor.

JT
squirm

Post by squirm »

Can you even afford this car? Judging from your post, it doesn't seem like you can. Go for something half the price, if you can afford that. It's just a car, after the novelty wears off you'll be glad you didn't put yourself into so much debt.
squirm

Post by squirm »

You can always splurge on something that is much less expensive and probably get just as much satisfaction.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

tin369 wrote: I want to buy a new car (luxury) and considering the Q7. The price as optioned comes out to around $67,000.... What do you guys think?

Although we don't usually think of depreciation as an expense, it's actually the single greatest cost involved with owning a new car. The old adage is true—your car will start to depreciate the instant you drive it off the lot.

How much are we talking? On average, a new vehicle depreciates 19 percent in the first year, half of which occurs immediately after you take possession. Fortunately, depreciation does not continue at this rate. You can expect a 15 percent drop in the second and third years.

http://www.carsdirect.com/auto-loans/wh ... ation-rate
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
WL2034

Post by WL2034 »

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

bottlecap wrote:
There are two general reasons for wanting to keep the $70,000:

1. Fear. You are buying too much vehicle and, even though you have the funds, you really need the funds for something else (retirement, emergency fund, future down payment, whatever); or,

2. Greed. You have enough to cover everything, but think maybe you can do better than 3%, after inflation and taxes, in the market.

If it's 1, stick with the RAV 4 or buy something other than a $70,000 vehicle.

If it's 2, you are taking a lot of risk and not getting fully compensated for taking the risk. Are your finances such that you can deal with the consequences of such risk? If so, and you want to gamble, go for it. But it's not a gamble where the odds are in your favor.

JT
This is relevant. It may be that the $70k is there. But it is also the Emergency Fund, the future house down payment, the vacation fund, the taxes fund. You can use it to justify the large purchase, but each dollar can have only 1 purpose. It can move from Emergency Fund to Car Fund but once moved it cannot be counted as Emergency Fund any longer. Nuance. Details.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

OP I think you should look into a Tesla Model X. You won't have to worry about monthly payment because you'll be saving so much on gas! :moneybag :dollar :moneybag
canbonbon

Post by canbonbon »

Jags4186 wrote:OP I think you should look into a Tesla Model X. You won't have to worry about monthly payment because you'll be saving so much on gas! :moneybag :dollar :moneybag
Every time I feel like buying a Tesla X or S, I come to this board to get humbled. Then I go back to driving my 15 yr old Mercedes that still runs great and requires just maintenance. My next car is going to be an electric and I have been looking at Tesla for past couple of years. Just don't have the courage to spend that kind of money on a car. My hope is that in next few years other manufacturers would come out with cheaper models. Or maybe not. Maybe the self driving tech and the superchargers will seduce me to the extent that I will finally get a Tesla. Not sure what the future holds but currently, I am happy with my 15 yr old car.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Buy a few years old luxury car. They depreciate so fast you will save a ton of money.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Nate79 wrote:Buy a few years old luxury car. They depreciate so fast you will save a ton of money.
I have been looking at a 2010 Lexus LS 460 with ~60k miles. Original price north of $70k. Asking ~$21k.

I appreciate items that were out of my league, still have many uses left and are now in my price range. :wink:
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

For those interested in Q7, they should seriously consider VW Atlas.
If I remember correctly, the current Q7 has been around since 2005!!!
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

bottlecap wrote:

JT
How do you figure the odds are not in his favor? A quick count gives me ~20 out of 83 5 year samples of the S&P 500 you would have come out by paying off the car instead of investing. I would consider 3 out 4 as having the deck stacked in your favor.

Obviously you are taking on more risk for the chance to come out 50k+ ahead. Up to you if you want to take that risk or not. The loan payment seems high, but it isn't because of interest. It is because 67k is a lot of money. 72k over 72 months - 67k = 5k of interest.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

OP, I realize you have really been beaten up on this question... but its for good reason.

As everyone said - there are tons of red flags here:
If you need to finance for 72 months to make the payment you simply cant afford it.
If you wreck the car you will be underwater on the loan and get wiped out.
If you loose your job you will likely loose the car
Wait to you see the bills for property tax, insurance and maintenance on an Audi. The big loan payment is only the beginning.

If you can afford more than another CRV and want something nice look at a mid range near lux SUV. Highlanders are very nice, As are Honda Pilots. Or if you dont need the space look at an Acura RDX or similar compact SUV from Lexus. Any of these options will be nearly half the cost of the Audi along with cheaper insurance, less maintenance and better resale value.

Trust us, you will thank us in 5 years, and by then your income may have increased to the point you can buy the Audi. I know what it feels like to be a car nit.... OOOOOOh what I wouldn't give to get an M3 or RS4 as a daily driver. The bank would give me the money to buy one but I dont because I know I would regret it later...
Last edited by jharkin on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

infotrader wrote:For those interested in Q7, they should seriously consider VW Atlas.
The Q7 is a totally new for model year 2017.

The atlas isn't quite out yet (well at least in my region. I am hearing may) but if that is the type of car you are looking for their are bunches of other options. That is a bit of a different discussion than how to pay for something.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

You can lease a new Chevy Trax micro-SUV for under $1000 for the entire 2 year lease period. That is less than tax, fees and registration assuming $0 monthly lease. See leasehackr forum.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Look on ebay motors or cars.com for used Q7 from anywhere in the country for shipping. (cars.com doesn't offer shipping explicitly, but if you contact the seller often they will do so).
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

infotrader wrote:For those interested in Q7, they should seriously consider VW Atlas.
You remember incorrectly. The Current Q7 is just closing out its first model year (MY2017) and the second opens up next week.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

How do you figure the odds are not in his favor? A quick count gives me ~20 out of 83 5 year samples of the S&P 500 you would have come out by paying off the car instead of investing. I would consider 3 out 4 as having the deck stacked in your favor.
It's an abstract idea that comes from probability. You ignore risk or otherwise must assume that a good portion of the the market gains come from inefficiency. That is not so.

Another way to look at it is you are looking at average gains while ignoring the possible magnitude of a given loss.

JT
Last edited by bottlecap on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

snackdog wrote:You can lease a new Chevy Trax micro-SUV for under $1000 for the entire 2 year lease period. That is less than tax, fees and registration assuming $0 monthly lease. See leasehackr forum.
Isn't that deal only if you currently lease a Japanese non luxury car though?
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

:confused Then you shouldn't buy it. When you buy a 70K car you are putting 70K into a depreciating asset whether you finance it or not.
furikake

Post by furikake »

I also want to buy a brand spanking new Q7, I've allocated $100-$120k for it, not only for the price of the car, but for the additional cost of premium gas, maintenance/repairs, additional insurance $$, etc. for the life of the car. I've 50x+ WR saved up for retirement (money allocated for the Q7 is separate from retirement savings), aiming for 60x+. Can I afford this car? :D
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

lthenderson wrote:If you can't pay cash, you need to consider a cheaper vehicle.
This, especially if you're over a certain age...
Attempted new signature...
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

furikake wrote:I also want to buy a brand spanking new Q7, I've allocated $100-$120k for it, not only for the price of the car, but for the additional cost of premium gas, maintenance/repairs, additional insurance $$, etc. for the life of the car. I've 50x+ WR saved up for retirement (money allocated for the Q7 is separate from retirement savings), aiming for 60x+. Can I afford this car? :D
Yes, but you should set your sights higher. :) You need to forget the Q7, save a bit more, dip into your excess contributions, and buy a Bentayga. But just the regular W12--the first edition would be stretching it a bit at $300k. :sharebeer
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

tin369 wrote: Yes I don have $70,000 but I would rather keep it liquid instead of putting that into a depreciating asset. I plan on keeping the car longer so thought a longer loan should be ok.
Either way you are paying for the depreciation. Trying to get better than 3% in the stock market is not a guarantee and also likely not a smart investment when the risk of a 3% headwind is tacked on.
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

lazydavid wrote:
You remember incorrectly. The Current Q7 is just closing out its first model year (MY2017) and the second opens up next week.
Thanks for the update. Good to know.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Actually, I think this place is exactly where you needed to ask your question. You might not be getting the answers you were wanting, but they're the right answers, for better or for worse.

The best way to keep your payment low? Don't borrow money in the first place. Then your payment is zero dollars, and you can't get much lower than that! :P
Oh man, yeah. I'm not a "car guy" myself, but I can still understand where you're coming from because I have plenty of my own things I'm into. I'd never consider buying a $67,000 car, but a $67,000 Bösendorfer grand piano? That would indeed be nice!

But would I ever in a million years take out a loan to buy that piano? Not on your life!

And I get "splurging" too. I splurge all the time. But not with borrowed money, and only after I've met other, far more important, financial goals (emergency fund, retirement savings, etc.)

Basically, when it comes to "toys" like fancy cars, grand pianos, vacation homes, ski boats, etc., the rule is that you should either pay for it out-of-pocket, or go without. Ignore this rule at great peril. :beer
Stay on target...
furikake

Post by furikake »

lazydavid wrote:
furikake wrote:I also want to buy a brand spanking new Q7, I've allocated $100-$120k for it, not only for the price of the car, but for the additional cost of premium gas, maintenance/repairs, additional insurance $$, etc. for the life of the car. I've 50x+ WR saved up for retirement (money allocated for the Q7 is separate from retirement savings), aiming for 60x+. Can I afford this car? :D
Yes, but you should set your sights higher. :) You need to forget the Q7, save a bit more, dip into your excess contributions, and buy a Bentayga. But just the regular W12--the first edition would be stretching it a bit at $300k. :sharebeer
That would be too flashy, it's like screaming to people, "Rob me, rob me!" :D
Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord »

Just to pile on a bit more regarding the $70k car, I throw out this quote from two years ago:
tin369 wrote:I and married and ... Combined our gross income is $150,000 and we have about $40,000 in our savings account.Also have a $16,000 credit card debt, and a mortgage. I am 34 and wife is 32 and we just had our first kid. We want to reduce our taxes and also make sure we are making a good retirement investing along with college savings.
kite

Post by kite »

It's easy to get a lot of ridicule on this board when posting questions on luxury purchases. By the end of the thread, do you really get much advice on how to keep your payments low or did you get a lot of advice on why you shouldn't make the purchase?

My advice is to open an account with USS FCU. They offer 1.24% loans on new and used vehicles. Can't really beat that interest rate unless a car manufacturer is running a 0% deal or something.