China Trip - Visa Expediter?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
linenfort

China Trip - Visa Expediter?

Post by linenfort »

I've been to China before but I went to New York to get my visa. Has anyone paid an expediter to do it by mail?
How was your experience? Worth it?
Thanks.
midareff

Re: China Trip - Visa Expediter?

Post by midareff »

I took two trips to China. In both cases the visa was handled by the tour organizer. I have used an expediter for our visas to visit Russia. The company was recommended by the tour company (Viking) and was handled expeditiously.
krannerd

Post by krannerd »

I've used CIBT for my work related visas to China. It was quite seamless. They now offer a service ($$) where they'll print digital pictures for you instead of having to go get a specific passport photo. I'm not sure of the rates for this service, but it's $200+ (depending on timing that you need).

Pricing is always up front and transparent. I've never had an issue with them. It's totally worth it as my employer was paying. If I had to pay for it myself, I'd probably do it so that I didn't have to travel somewhere.

Hope this helps.
whatusername?

Post by whatusername? »

I have used Travel Visa Pro twice, once for China and once for Brazil. I did it to save the required trips to the consulates and it was quick and relatively inexpensive.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Used a visa expediter. It worked.

I hear that China has made it harder to do in person. It might be more sensible to pay a service now in order to avoid the hassle. In any case, it will cost more (the visa price has increased).
Topic Author
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Very helpful answers all around.
Thank you!
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

The few times I went to China I went to my local travel agency that specialized in trips to China. They would handle the visa processing for their clients once per week to arrange visas for their clients. For a few dollars they would submit mine as well at the same time. However, it's been many years since I last visited China so I don't what requirements, if anything, has changed or if this solution might be viable for you.
Volkdancer

Post by Volkdancer »

I used travisa and had very good results. The process was quite easy. At the time I applied in July, 2015, China was granting US citizens 10 year multiple entry visas by default. So I am going again this fall and have no concerns visa-wise.

Karl V
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

I went to the closest consulate in person. It was not a pleasant experience and it took multiple trips (I had not yet booked my hotel and they wanted an address of where I was staying and a receipt).

There were a lot of expediters there on behalf of other people and they really seemed efficient. They knew everyone who worked at the consulate by name and know exactly what you need, how forms need to be filled out, if there are any red flags, etc. Just check their costs against the costs to do it yourself in person. If I had to travel even a couple of hours to handle it in person I would go the expediter route.
lakings

Post by lakings »

I went and got my visa at the consulate myself. Took two visits, one to drop off my passport with the forms (15 mins total) and another 4 business days later to pick up my passport with the visa (5 mins total).

I highly recommend doing it yourself. It is a truly simple process if you follow the instructions listed out. If you don't bring all the proper documentation you will not be able to get the visa during that visit. It is pretty simple. Another tip, China now offers a 10 year/multiple entry visas. You just need to put a little * and hand write 10-year visa. It is the same price as all the other visas for a US citizen ($150).

Enjoy your time visiting China it is a truly amazing country.
hmw

Post by hmw »

I had to make an emergency trip to China in December last year. I paid a company called mychinavisa.com to do it for me. It wasn't cheap but I was happy with the service received.
Topic Author
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

whatusername? wrote:I have used Travel Visa Pro twice, once for China and once for Brazil. I did it to save the required trips to the consulates and it was quick and relatively inexpensive.
Can you tell me the exact name of the website. I checked them out on yelp, too. Began the process on Saturday, and my credit card was hacked on Sunday night: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=215507 (I linked to them via yelp so I really think I used the right website).
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

I've used CIBT for India visas multiple times, and they've always delivered within their promised timelines. Quite a few corporations use them.
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

lakings wrote:I went and got my visa at the consulate myself. Took two visits, one to drop off my passport with the forms (15 mins total) and another 4 business days later to pick up my passport with the visa (5 mins total).
Depends on which consulate. If you go to the one in San Francisco, it's 3-5 hours to submit the form and 30 minute wait for pickup/payment.
Topic Author
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

linenfort wrote:
whatusername? wrote:I have used Travel Visa Pro twice, once for China and once for Brazil. I did it to save the required trips to the consulates and it was quick and relatively inexpensive.
Can you tell me the exact name of the website. I checked them out on yelp, too. Began the process on Saturday, and my credit card was hacked on Sunday night: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=215507 (I linked to them via yelp so I really think I used the right website).
Just to be clear, I know they're a bona fide company and are not fraudsters. I just want to be absolutely certain it is their website that I visited.
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

My wife and I have used https://chinesevisaexpress.com/ and the service has always been great. My trips have included both business and tourism.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

krannerd wrote:I've used CIBT for my work related visas to China. It was quite seamless. They now offer a service ($$) where they'll print digital pictures for you instead of having to go get a specific passport photo. I'm not sure of the rates for this service, but it's $200+ (depending on timing that you need).

Pricing is always up front and transparent. I've never had an issue with them. It's totally worth it as my employer was paying. If I had to pay for it myself, I'd probably do it so that I didn't have to travel somewhere.

Hope this helps.
+1 - my company uses CIBT as well and Ive dealt with them 4 or 5 times for VISA's to China and India. Very easy to deal with and if there is any problem in the paperwork they find them in advance so you have a chance to fix things before the paperwork goes to the consulate.

Ive never used them for a tourist Visa, so you need to decide if the cost is worth saving the trip to the consulate and potential delays/re-filing if the consulate finds a problem in your paperwork.
Topic Author
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Also used CIBT for China. No surprises...
sfnerd

Post by sfnerd »

I did my Chinese visa last year while living in SF. Super easy, and pretty quick.

However, I have used Travisa for others at work and they were simple and good to work with.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I have used a visa service for both China and India. Applying is still a hassle but it's usually cheaper and easier than applying in person.
whatusername?

Post by whatusername? »

linenfort wrote:
linenfort wrote:
Just to be clear, I know they're a bona fide company and are not fraudsters. I just want to be absolutely certain it is their website that I visited.
https://www.travelvisapro.com/
Topic Author
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Good, thank you!
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

If you plan to go there in future, make sure to get the 10 year one with multiple entries.
I live in LA. I used to go there by myself, but I used a travel agent last time, paid $25 + $140 visa fee.
Topic Author
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

That's a good idea!
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

There is no fee difference, whether a single entry or 10 year multiple.
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

It will be valid even after your current visa expires.