Best place to get eyeglasses / no vision insurance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
StevieG72

Best place to get eyeglasses / no vision insurance

Post by StevieG72 »

Where do Bogleheads recommend getting eyeglasses? Not interested in contacts.

No vision insurance. My employer doesnt provide it :( , self employed :D .

Leaning towards Costco or America's Best.

I have never had glasses before but am coming to the realization that I likely need them.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
tic

Re: Best place to get eyeglasses / no vision insurance

Post by tic »

Zenni Optical. $12 for my last pair and they were still fine when I replaced them (with another pair from Zenni) 8 years later.

Not being able to try on frames is a little difficult, but they provide so many measurements for each frame that you can measure a frame you have and like and find something similar on the website.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Whatever you do - Don't buy your new glasses at the eye doctor who performed your exam. They will try and steer you to these grossly-overpriced lenses and frames. By law, they have to give you your prescription before you walk out.

Lens Crafters has frequent sales and tons and tons of choices in frames. I like Pearle Vision too.

If you are near a Boscov's (my absolute favorite store :D ) the optical dept frequently advertises a deal where your discount goes by your age - 50% off in your fifties; 60% off in your sixties, and so forth.

(Not sure if a 100 year old person were to come in and get a pair of glasses for free, though.) :?
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I bought a pair from Warby Parker last year and will probably do so again. They have a retail store near me. Unlike most other opticians they have frames well organized by size so you don't spend a lot of time looking through frames that are too small or too big.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
dm200

Post by dm200 »

My wife watches frequently and closely for "deals" and sales. She often finds Lenscrafters having the best deals when they have "50% off" sales or two for the price of one.

For the glasses I wear now, I got those at Lenscrafters at "50% Off" and selected the middle price lenses. I believe I had three choices (different price) and picked the middle. I suspect that the "value" of the more expensive lenses is quite subjective and differs from one person to another.

Post by 123 »

If you're a member Costco is probably your best bet. It's usually easy to make an appointment with their Optometrist for a prescription (15 minute appointment for $75 or less) and then order glasses from their optical department (usually arrive in 2 weeks or less). Since it's your first pair I think the selection of frames at Costco should be wide enough, the selection of frames available at a typical optical storefront can be overwhelming, especially for a newbie. If you go to Costco it might be hard to spend more then $250 - $300 total (unless you go for something really exotic). If you go into that glitzy optical storefront that commissioned shark in disguise behind the counter won't let you leave without spending $500 - $1,000 for a single pair (and the receipt will have a lot of mumbo jumbo on it that details the exotics of how each lens was ground to make you feel better).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

In my case, my health plan (Kaiser) offers low copay ($20) Optometry exams - so I have the prescription when I go shopping. I would lean towards an Optometry full exam by my own Optometrist instead of one from Costco or Lenscrafters, etc. I would want the full and independent exam where an Optometrist checks as much medically as possible and not just the refraction. My Optometrist (Kaiser) has full access to my medical records (including Ophthalmologists) and does the pupil dilation, eye pressure and checking the Optic nerve, etc.
mckaydw

Post by mckaydw »

I've purchased several sets of glasses from zennioptical.com, you can't beat their prices. We're talking $10-50 for frames, lenses, coatings, everything.
sport

Post by sport »

I bought my last pair of glasses from Costco. I got titanium frames and bifocal lenses with scratch resistant coating. The cost was less than $200.
VegasBH

Post by VegasBH »

Has anyone purchased frames from zenni and lenses from costco? I figure that might be the best way to get an optometrist to adjust my frames and get my pupil distance right.
sport

Post by sport »

VegasBH wrote:Has anyone purchased frames from zenni and lenses from costco? I figure that might be the best way to get an optometrist to adjust my frames and get my pupil distance right.
Some Bogleheads have reported Costco not willing to put lenses in frames purchased elsewhere.
mrc

Post by mrc »

I've gone three ways: LensCrafters, Costco, and Zenni.

LensCrafters with insurance cost 2-3 times as much as Costco. Check out a 60 minutes story above vertical integration of EyeMed (insurance), LensCrafters (glasses) and luxottica (frames). The mark up will astound you. I don't use LensCrafters any more after a new pair cost nearly $400 with insurance (polycarb, progressive).

Costco measures IP distance (left and right) and segment height (if you have bifocal/progressives). About $120 for glasses and frames with same Rx as the LensCrafters pair.

I ordered a pair of sunglasses from Zenni just to see how they would do. Mid-level polycarb, progressive, non polarized. $83. I can tolerate an "average" seg height in sunglasses. But I do feel a pull when I switch between the regular and sunglasses. Using measurements, the frame fits fine. Not quite my favorite style, but good enough considering the price. With options, I could have made the sunglasses more expensive than Costco. That defeats the purpose.

When I first left LensCrafters, I ordered a regular pair from eyebuydirect.com and had to return them because the progressive correction was in the wrong place. And for the sunglasses, eyebuy was more expensive than Costco, the Zinni website was better for frame sizes.

The plainer your Rx, and especially for single vision correction, you can really beat Zenni or Costco. For progressive, I would lean toward Costco for the segment height measurement.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
GMan82

Post by GMan82 »

An eye exam is considered routine and preventative. Your regular health insurance will likely cover that plus an eye dilating exam, too, free of charge. Mine did. I don't have separate vision insurance. They will also provide discounts on frames/lenses.

I like Warby Parker. You can get a trial of 5 frames sent home for 5 days. They are very reasonably priced at $95 total for frames/lenses, and it includes polycarbonate lenses.

You should check them out.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

I wonder, though, if the OP is on Medicare instead of regular health insurance.

Speaking of needing glasses - What's wrong with the mods here? Surely, I thought by now they would have yanked this thread out of Finance and put it in Consumer folder :shock:
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Many health insurance plans do not cover eye exams. As an example for federal employees it is additional coverage purchased separately from health insurance and for many people it is not a good deal even if you replace your glasses frequently.

Vision care for adults is not a minimum essential benefit under ACA.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
sport

Post by sport »

drawpoker wrote:Speaking of needing glasses - What's wrong with the mods here? Surely, I thought by now they would have yanked this thread out of Finance and put it in Consumer folder :shock:
The moderators cannot read all of the many posts within a short period of time. That is why the ! button appears on every post. You can help the moderators by using it when you see something wrong, such as a post being in the wrong forum. It is also against the forum rules to criticize the forum administration publicly. If you have a problem with the administration of the forum, a private message to a moderator is the proper avenue to express it.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Just got a couple pair form Walmart,
Nikon lens
Titanium frame
20% off 2nd pair.
1st pair priced very very reasonable.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
sport

Post by sport »

Toons wrote:Just got a couple pair form Walmart,
Nikon lens
Titanium frame
20% off 2nd pair.
Would you like to share the cost?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (eyeglasses).
drawpoker wrote:I wonder, though, if the OP is on Medicare instead of regular health insurance.

Speaking of needing glasses - What's wrong with the mods here? Surely, I thought by now they would have yanked this thread out of Finance and put it in Consumer folder :shock:
Reporting the post (the "!" in the top-right corner of the post) would get our attention sooner. One of the reasons is "Wrong forum".
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

We live 5 minutes from Costco and it has been our primary place for glasses and contacts for decades. The prices are reasonable, decent selection, and they provide free service including replacing glasses if they break within a year, free nose pad replacement, free adjustments. If you buy multiple pairs, you get a discount off each additional pair.

Our S has bought some zenni and other glasses because they're so cheap but I note he mostly wears the Costco ones.

I have no reason to switch to another place for glasses and am happy Costco optical stays in business. They do a good job of measuring and providing glasses that serve all of us well. I did buy some transition Rx glasses that were supposed to darken when driving in bright daylight and then lighten when indoors. They didn't function as we expected and our money was cheerfully refunded, no questions asked. H had the same experience.

They've cheerfully replaced several other glasses over the years at no charge as well--one had paint chip off on a frame, one had coating spot on the lenses, one had lenses crack on the edges.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

stan1 wrote:Many health insurance plans do not cover eye exams. As an example for federal employees it is additional coverage purchased separately from health insurance and for many people it is not a good deal even if you replace your glasses frequently.
Vision care for adults is not a minimum essential benefit under ACA.
In some plans, Optometry exams are part of health coverage. As far as I know, for example, in this area (Washington DC), Kaiser (including large numbers of federal employees and retirees, as well as Medicare) covers Optometry exams for a low copay (sometimes no copay). Ophthalmology (medically necessary) would be covered and in some cases when you see an Ophahalmologist and at the same appointment have refraction (often by Optometrist), part of the visit is covered.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

sport wrote:
drawpoker wrote:Speaking of needing glasses - What's wrong with the mods here? Surely, I thought by now they would have yanked this thread out of Finance and put it in Consumer folder :shock:
The moderators cannot read all of the many posts within a short period of time. That is why the ! button appears on every post. You can help the moderators by using it when you see something wrong, such as a post being in the wrong forum. It is also against the forum rules to criticize the forum administration publicly. If you have a problem with the administration of the forum, a private message to a moderator is the proper avenue to express it.
Yes.

In addition, I suspect there are many folks like me that look at all the posts - not just those in one category or another. For those like me, then, we would not notice this at all.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Relax, it was not actual "criticism" of the mods at all - just another take on "I see" said the blind man.

Just could not resist the obvious joke here just begging to be voiced - the juxtaposition of a thread concerning the need for reading glasses, and being able to use the handy-dandy emoticon of the guy who looks exactly like he is wearing the very same ridiculous looking glasses that George purchased in that episode of "Seinfeld".
:shock:
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

sport wrote:
VegasBH wrote:Has anyone purchased frames from zenni and lenses from costco? I figure that might be the best way to get an optometrist to adjust my frames and get my pupil distance right.
Some Bogleheads have reported Costco not willing to put lenses in frames purchased elsewhere.
We had Costco put progressive lenses into a pair of new Warby Parker frames just this month (March 2017). They're currently putting new progressive lenses into another pair of non-Costco frames that they did a few years ago. They'll tell you it depends on the frames whether they'll do it, but will confirm it in the store at the time of your order. There's a $16 ($18?) charge for outside frames. We've never been refused at several Costco's around the country. It's about a 2 week process. YMMV.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Last year, when my 2nd grader got glasses, I picked up 2 backup pairs for my son from goggles4u and it was $26, shipped. They worked as well as the ones that we got through insurance, and actually cost less than the copay.

This year, he needed new glasses. So we just had him wear his backup pair while the optometrist sent in his nice frames to get refitted with new lenses. I ordered 2 additional pairs of backup glasses for $13, shipped. Also a pair of prescription sunglasses for $14. They took a little longer than the optometrist (2 weeks vs 1) but we're happy with them. Certainly as backup pairs, no problem.

I've also heard good things about zenni optical but haven't tried them.

Advice:
1) when you get your prescription, have them write down your PD (distance between pupils).
2) Whether you go with zenni optical, goggles4u, or others, do google for "(store name) coupon"

coupon links:
https://www.retailmenot.com/view/goggles4u.com
https://www.retailmenot.com/view/zennioptical.com
Last edited by random_walker_77 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
random_walker_77

[mis-post]
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

For single vision glasses, Zenni is great. But you have to have your pupillary distance, and that can be hard to get from optometrists. But if you buy a pair of cheap glasses from Costco, they will put your pupillary distance on your receipt. Save it, and try Zenni the next time.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Medical insurance will typically not cover simple vision exams. But if you go to the ophthalmologist and tell them your eyes feel a little dry sometimes, then that would be covered as a medical visit and you can get a glasses prescription at the same time.
random_walker_77

oh, and regarding costco eyeglasses, the quality there is quite good. Here's an insightful thread I once came across, "How do you compete against Costco"

Lots of angry optometrists there...

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthr ... post296364
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

climber2020 wrote:Medical insurance will typically not cover simple vision exams. But if you go to the ophthalmologist and tell them your eyes feel a little dry sometimes, then that would be covered as a medical visit and you can get a glasses prescription at the same time.
True enough.

But Medicare will only cover the fee for the exam, (determine cause of dry eye) Not the cost of the glasses.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Eye exam at Costco $60

2 Pairs at Zenni Optical - $9 each plus $5 shipping = $23.

My glasses are simple but why involve an insurance company if you need glasses? It's like insurance for oil changes on your car.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Zenni and goggles4u are all very cheap, but zenni only offers 30 days warranty, and you can only get a 50% refund or a 100% one-time exchange, and goggles4u differs depending on the circumstance. My glasses typically take 14-21 days to arrive. Zenni customer support is REALLY slow nowadays, it used to be fast.

I've been having really good luck with eyebuydirect, and they have great offers on the coupons page (just poke around their website or use google). Eyebuydirect has a 14 day no questions asked refund or exchange warranty, and 365 day warranty against breakage/defects. So if your glasses break on day 364, you're covered. Plus, WAY cheaper than an in-person store. My glasses typically take 7-10 days to arrive. Eyebuydirect has live chat, and responds to emails in about 24 hours
gd

Post by gd »

The expensive, careful, experienced optician teamed with my optometrist of 25-30 years in the same office. I tried Lenscrafters a few times during about a 10 year period, and had several bad experiences ranging from mis-grinding the lenses, to egregiously bad advice about lens material in response to my careful questions and information. I then had a good hard think about how important vision is to me, how much money I fritter away on unimportant stuff, returned to the optician and optometrist, and never looked back on spending $500-1000 every few years on being able to see as well as possible for whatever my current phase of life happens to include. My insurance includes a "vision plan" offering a small discount on glasses, and I honestly don't even recall if my medical insurance includes optometrist exams.
Parthenon

Post by Parthenon »

Over the last twenty years I've been using America's Best. If you don't get all the fancy extras they try to sell you can get two pairs and the eye exam for their advertised price. Bifocals will cost more but not that much. Since getting cataracts removed I no longer need glasses except for reading so I don't need their services anymore. Check out their ads: http://www.americasbest.com/

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"
jealkon

Post by jealkon »

Any place other than Americas best for me. Bought two pair of glasses from them and within 1 year, the lens seperated from the frame, in same place, on both pair. Took them back and was told, nothing we can do for you, they are out of warranty. Offerd to sell me two new pair with NO discount of any kind
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

StevieG72 wrote:Where do Bogleheads recommend getting eyeglasses? Not interested in contacts.

No vision insurance. My employer doesnt provide it :( , self employed :D .

Leaning towards Costco or America's Best.

I have never had glasses before but am coming to the realization that I likely need them.
If you have healthcare insurance (even without vision) sometimes it comes along with a program that offers a 20% discount on eyeglasses and exams. For example, I have Blue Cross and they automatically include (at no add'l cost) a 20% discount program from https://www.mesvision.com/homepage.htm

Anyway, worth checking to see if your plan has something similar.
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
dutchglider

Post by dutchglider »

Zenni if your prescription is single-vision, maybe for progressive.

I have had great luck getting several pairs of single prescription.

I think progressive is harder to fit so the local hands on optician might be needed.
(That's was DW experience).

I found the Zenni plastic lenses without "scratch resistant" add-on ($$$) are more scratch resistant than glasses made with the
non-premium scratch resistant coating.

Good luck.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

Another vote for Zenni. Got my usual conservative frame with hi-index 1.74 progressive lens with the usual coatings, $100 out the door. Makes me crazy thinking about how bad I've been gouged over the years by my eye care professional :oops:
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

In terms of online sources, my experience has been it depends on two things:

1) The complexity of the prescription; and
2) What the promotions happen to be.

The last time I went that route I used $39 Glasses, not Zenni. For the progressive prescription I had, and the coating I needed, after a coupon they were less expensive than anybody else I checked (after applying their coupons).

I think it depends on the individual and on specifically when one is buying.

PJW
Gatorbh

Post by Gatorbh »

Our health insurance includes eye exams but not glasses/contacts. We usually get our boys glasses at Walmart. They have "$9" frames in a decent selection. We usually opt for the photochromic lenses which darken automatically in bright light. About $90 total. They come with a year warranty. Key for boys! We've taken pieces/parts of broken frames in on several occasions with great service. We've ordered 'backup' glasses from Zenni. Work well. You do need your pupillary distance to order glasses online. Easy to do with a partner and any ruler with millimeter markings. We haven't found the frames from Zenni to be quite as durable.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:In terms of online sources, my experience has been it depends on two things:
The last time I went that route I used $39 Glasses, not Zenni. For the progressive prescription I had, and the coating I needed, after a coupon they were less expensive than anybody else I checked (after applying their coupons).
PJW
Very true.

Although it seems less frequent now, sometimes places "pitch" options that cost more, but provide little benefit. Depending on the circumstances, some "coatings" and "tinting" might be some examples.

I am not sure how to evaluate lens options such as "Varilux" - which costs considerably more, but is supposed to offer clearer distance vision over a wider field. I selected the "middle" quality and I am fine just turning my head a bit to look at things straight on.

Many, many decades ago, when I first wore glasses (as a teenager), we did not have to buy frames every time the prescription changed. The Optician would get the new lenses and just pop out the old lenses and pop the new ones into your existing frames as you wait. Now, you would have to leave the frames for a period while they do that or, as seems to be often the case, they may not be able (or willing) to do lenses for existing frames.

:happy When I "run the world" it will be a requirement for standardized frames and lenses! :happy
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:In terms of online sources, my experience has been it depends on two things:

PJW
Agreed. Single vision lenses are rarely a problem. But my custom progressives can be difficult to get right. Cosco and Walmart has been good about redoing them to get them correct. Prices for no vision insurance is reasonably.
Ditto on previous poster mentioning getting them through the eye doc. Major expense without insurance.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
rhornback

Post by rhornback »

Toons wrote:Just got a couple pair form Walmart,
Nikon lens
Titanium frame
20% off 2nd pair.
I second this. I got a pair for my daughter last summer which turned out to be 1/2 the cost of visionworks or sears.

This came with a mid line lens which I think had non reflective coating, UV etc.

Her prescription is an easy one however.
rhornback

Post by rhornback »

gd wrote:The expensive, careful, experienced optician teamed with my optometrist of 25-30 years in the same office. I tried Lenscrafters a few times during about a 10 year period, and had several bad experiences ranging from mis-grinding the lenses, to egregiously bad advice about lens material in response to my careful questions and information. I then had a good hard think about how important vision is to me, how much money I fritter away on unimportant stuff, returned to the optician and optometrist, and never looked back on spending $500-1000 every few years on being able to see as well as possible for whatever my current phase of life happens to include. My insurance includes a "vision plan" offering a small discount on glasses, and I honestly don't even recall if my medical insurance includes optometrist exams.
I ditto this. For myself at 48 and wearing progressive lenses while working with computers day in and day out, I feel more comfortable with a local supplier who I can go back to. But yes that costs $$$ but keep in mind they have personnel costs, rent, insurance, etc.

I tried some of the online glasses sites and it just seemed like I could not see as well. But maybe that is because I messed something up. For my son's disposable contact lenses I save a huge amount online though.
Topic Author
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

OP update.....

Got a comprehensive exam at Costco ( not a member) and left with my prescription. $55 Only hiccup was that PD was not noted on my script. No big deal as it is easy to measure. I will ask next time, however I imagine it doesn't change much.

Ordered a pair of glasses with progressive lenses from Zenni this evening. $52

Thanks to those that recommended Zenni!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
3spots

Post by 3spots »

FWIW, the optometrist at Costco is not part of Costco -- they are an independent business. You don't need to be a Costco member to use them. I have been to several optometrists and he is my favorite.

Costco Optical on the other hand -- not as good. More limited selection and I didn't find them helpful to make adjustments.

Peepers.com for frames
Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike »

I found out my preferred, local glasses store would take 30% off lens and frames if I have an AARP card. A $16 AARP membership later, I saved almost $300 on my progressives. I now ask everybody if they offer AARP discounts. Even my dentist does. Who knew.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

climber2020 wrote:Medical insurance will typically not cover simple vision exams. But if you go to the ophthalmologist and tell them your eyes feel a little dry sometimes, then that would be covered as a medical visit and you can get a glasses prescription at the same time.
You can get it at the same time, but regular Medicare doesn't pay for refractions. At least they have never paid for mine.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

littlebird wrote:
You can get it at the same time, but regular Medicare doesn't pay for refractions. At least they have never paid for mine.
That's my experience as well, Medicare will not pay for refractions, but if you have a supplemental policy they may pay. My BCBS policy pays once a year for refractions. The ophthalmologist submits to Medicare. Medicare pays the medical portion and forwards the remainder to my BCBS who pays the rest of my medical and for the refraction minus a copay.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

1. My Kaiser Medicare plan covers refractions (and a full Optometry eye exam, including glaucoma eye pressure and pupil dilation) for a copay of only $20

2. My wife watches for advertised discounts and specials. My current glasses (progressive bifocals) are from LensCrafters when they had a "special".