Obtaining Bachelors in Accounting @ 30

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
workingovertime

Obtaining Bachelors in Accounting @ 30

Post by workingovertime »

I'm currently 27 and enrolled in a university in an Accounting program. I should be able to obtain a Bachelors by 30 but i'm feeling very conflicted on whether I should continue. My main concern is mainly time and money and to be honest, a bit of fear that I won't be able to find a decent paying job and not liking the field in general.

Part of that fear comes because I already have a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice that I received in 2013. Ever since, I've worked as an intern for the U.S. Pretrial Services for a few months, for the local Sheriffs department as a 911 communicator for about a year, and currently as a security officer for about 2.5 yrs. I hated the first 2 jobs and couldn't stand it no matter the salary. I love my current job but it obviously does not pay to support a family. It's also definitely not using my degree to much use. It's just something that gets me by now. I don't really have interests on pursuing other jobs in the Criminal Justice field. I feel it was simply a bad decision and i've basically wrote it off as 4 yrs wasted in school. I'm just not happy working in those fields, and also, my experiences in the field are very outdated and it's hard to get in without other intsnternship opportunities which i'm not able to apply for unless enrolles in a related college program.

I don't have much desire nor greed for money, but all I want is to be able to make a good income to support a family and not having to put future children on a daycare or something. If I pursue Accounting, I feel like that would be the only reason. At the same time, that seems like a very bad reason to pursuing something for 3 yrs costing money, time, and other opportunities. I'm just not sure what else I should do to further myself. I don't have any particular interests and to be honest, I have low motivation in terms of work lately. Not much really seems to get me excited. It's been very frustrating not knowing what I want to strive for and to have a goal in terms of my career.
tainted-meat

Re: Obtaining Bachelors in Accounting @ 30

Post by tainted-meat »

You may want to check into completing a post-baccalauareate accounting certificate. For folks like yourself that have a bachelor's degree already it may be a short-cut.

This may allow you to sit for the CPA exam without getting a whole new degree.

Check your state requirements to obtain the CPA designation.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

I wanted to do a separate follow up post to provide another option.

If you want to make decent money you may want to get into outside sales. Many jobs provide a decent salary + bonus and you might be able to snag a company car too.

Most outside sales jobs just want you to have a bachelor's degree which you already have.
Gill

Post by Gill »

At least when I took the CPA exam, there was no requirement to get another degree. If you already have a Bachelors you will likely just need the accounting credits. I had a degree in Finance and a law degree and, after having the Board of Accountancy in Florida review my transcripts, they determined I needed eighteen accounting credits which then qualified me to take the exam. I was 45 years old at the time. Good luck!
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

I think that many people have the idea that accountants make more money than they actually do. Don't get me wrong-you can make good money as an accountant if you are ambitious and strive for higher up positions--think controller, CFO, etc. But in realty, you are not going to make that much money as a staff level or even senior level accountant.

That being said, the accounting field is pretty stable, and for the most part, it is pretty easy to find jobs in almost any location. Have you looked into what an entry level accounting job pays in your area?
dm200

Post by dm200 »

What about positions/careers in something like financial fraud invetigations or "forensic" accounting where you could combine the criminal justice and accounting?

Becoming a bank or credit union examiner might also be a possibility.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

workingovertime wrote:I'm currently 27 and enrolled in a university in an Accounting program. I should be able to obtain a Bachelors by 30 but i'm feeling very conflicted on whether I should continue. My main concern is mainly time and money and to be honest, a bit of fear that I won't be able to find a decent paying job and not liking the field in general.
I don't have much desire nor greed for money, but all I want is to be able to make a good income to support a family and not having to put future children on a daycare or something. If I pursue Accounting, I feel like that would be the only reason. At the same time, that seems like a very bad reason to pursuing something for 3 yrs costing money, time, and other opportunities. I'm just not sure what else I should do to further myself. I don't have any particular interests and to be honest, I have low motivation in terms of work lately. Not much really seems to get me excited. It's been very frustrating not knowing what I want to strive for and to have a goal in terms of my career.
You are not the first or only person to discover that you need a change in career. However, your reason in getting into an accounting program doesn't appear to be a good one.

Have you ever worked in an accounting department of any company? The job requires certain skill set and mental ability that may not be compatible with your personality. Try to work in an accounting area as an intern or something and get a feel of what the job might be like.

Also at your age, forget about getting a job with big accounting firms because they prefer young guns in their early 20's for entry level positions.

And accounting in general doesn't pay well. It pays just enough to eat and put a roof over your head. Unless you can ascend to one of the top jobs in a big company, your pay will be nothing to brag about.

I know many CPAs who quit the accounting profession to become outside salespeople because they could make 3 - 5 x the money and better utilize their skills. They discovered after several years into the accounting profession that the job was not compatible with their personality and/or skill set. Obviously many accountants remain in the profession for many years because they like what they do.

You need to discover what your passion is and stick to it. It is not a lot fun to have to change your occupation every 5 years and it gets worse as you get older.
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

HueyLD wrote:Have you ever worked in an accounting department of any company? The job requires certain skill set and mental ability that may not be compatible with your personality. Try to work in an accounting area as an intern or something and get a feel of what the job might be like.

Also at your age, forget about getting a job with big accounting firms because they prefer young guns in their early 20's for entry level positions.

And accounting in general doesn't pay well. It pays just enough to eat and put a roof over your head. Unless you can ascend to one of the top jobs in a big company, your pay will be nothing to brag about.

I know many CPAs who quit the accounting profession to become outside salespeople because they could make 3 - 5 x the money and better utilize their skills. They discovered after several years into the accounting profession that the job was not compatible with their personality and/or skill set. Obviously many accountants remain in the profession for many years because they like what they do.

You need to discover what your passion is and stick to it. It is not a lot fun to have to change your occupation every 5 years and it gets worse as you get older.
I agree with everything that HueyLD said. Just as an example, I am a 35 year old CPA with an MBA and make about $65k in a low cost of living area as a senior level accountant in public accounting. My next job move will be to an assistant controller or controller position for about $75-85k. My husband is basically a salesman for medical equipment contracts and makes $123k plus bonus with no college degree at all.

Also, have you considered if you will like sitting behind a desk all day. I am a very active person and I really struggle with this part of my job.

I do not mean to be pessimistic about the accounting profession, but these are all things that I wish I would have thought about when I pursued my degree in accounting.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

HueyLD wrote:
workingovertime wrote:I'm currently 27 and enrolled in a university in an Accounting program. I should be able to obtain a Bachelors by 30 but i'm feeling very conflicted on whether I should continue. My main concern is mainly time and money and to be honest, a bit of fear that I won't be able to find a decent paying job and not liking the field in general.
You are not the first or only person to discover that you need a change in career. However, your reason in getting into an accounting program doesn't appear to be a good one. Most folks who graduate from college have no idea what the real world is like, theory is different than reality and that goes for most majors. You come out with an idealistic view and then reality smacks you in the face. Go ask a teacher if what they encounter day to day is what they expected when the turned the tassel on their graduation cap from one side to the other. Go ask a police officer, heck, go ask the President of the United States.

Have you ever worked in an accounting department of any company? The job requires certain skill set and mental ability that may not be compatible with your personality. Try to work in an accounting area as an intern or something and get a feel of what the job might be like.
True, posting general ledger entries all day long can be mundane. These jobs are being automated, that is the trend, so if you do pursue accounting do it so that you can advance into a job or occupation that Mr. Roboto is not going to take from you. :wink:

Aren't you a bundle of inspiration? OP - Don't listen to this nonsense, if you are dedicated to the field of accounting, if you have an excellent GPA in your field of study and close to graduating, if you are on CPA-track, then by all means APPLY!! You lose 100% of the shots you don't take in life, if you do take a shot and Big 4 doesn't work out, there are mid-sized firms, there are small-sized firms, there are options!
And accounting in general doesn't pay well. It pays just enough to eat and put a roof over your head. Unless you can ascend to one of the top jobs in a big company, your pay will be nothing to brag about.Another inspirational comment, boy you are on a roll this morning, aren't you?Accounting pays what you want it to pay, everyone starts out at the beginning, where you go from there is up to you - the knowledge is universal and you can translate that knowledge into other opportunities in life, but it will not be a quick snap of your fingers that gets you there.

Seems most folks passion on this board is to FIRE! :)
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Topic Author
workingovertime

I agree with many of the replies here.
Like I mentioned, I have constant doubts about pursuing this Accounting degree and my main motivation is to make a decent salary to sufficiently support a family on my own... but not much about the job itself. I have a gut feeling that that won't be a good decision and I fear regretting getting another degree that I will not utilize well.

I know all jobs have their pros and cons but one of the job that I've always wanted was to have a truck driver. I know it's not for everyone but I feel that it's right for my persoanlity. I can foresee many things about this job that I will also dislike but I feel like I would be ok with them. One of the major reasons I didn't pursue this way earlier is honestly just pressure from my parents. It's not necessarily a very respectable job, although I strongly disagree with them.

Only issue I see about this career is that there is a much more definite salary ceiling as opposed to careers like Accounting. Sure, I could go into management or such within truck driving but that's just a whole job. On the positive note, starting pay is pretty decent and can be done in a short time period.
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

My son went back to school to become a CPA. Because he had an advanced degree everyone told him to just take the accounting courses. He did not need the extra degree. That is what he did. After almost two years of extra undergraduate courses in accounting he got a job with a CPA. After two years he was able to take the CPA exam. He now works for himself.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Another option is to talk to each: Air Force, Coast Guard, "and" Navy Recruiting office about "what they can offer you" for your unique skillsets. There are military equiv. to civilian job positions and also careers that are unique to what you do. Your experience at the Sheriff's dept. is a plus. Also, there is the opportunity to take on a career or job opportunity (military does not mean lifetime, think more of a renewable secure term job contract) that allows one to become a truly independent and mature individual. The stereotype military "GI Joe" is old. Now it's tech. They are looking for academic and tech/numbers skillsets. Your combined skillsets may apply not only to accounting fields but others such as data analysis, strategist, etc.
If you want job security and independence, this is a strong option that can add to one's ability to "level up" later, perhaps to Federal positions, etc. All in all, it would not hurt to look into it and talk to recruiting offices.
I hope this is actionable information that may be of use to you.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
workingovertime

Sandtrap wrote:Another option is to talk to each: Air Force, Coast Guard, "and" Navy Recruiting office about "what they can offer you" for your unique skillsets. There are military equiv. to civilian job positions and also careers that are unique to what you do. Your experience at the Sheriff's dept. is a plus. Also, there is the opportunity to take on a career or job opportunity (military does not mean lifetime, think more of a renewable secure term job contract) that allows one to become a truly independent and mature individual. The stereotype military "GI Joe" is old. Now it's tech. They are looking for academic and tech/numbers skillsets. Your combined skillsets may apply not only to accounting fields but others such as data analysis, strategist, etc.
If you want job security and independence, this is a strong option that can add to one's ability to "level up" later, perhaps to Federal positions, etc. All in all, it would not hurt to look into it and talk to recruiting offices.
I hope this is actionable information that may be of use to you.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Military is something that I've considered strongly many times. Unfortunately right now, I have kind of eliminated that option since my partner also have a career to establish.
She has a decent paying stable job and we're not really in favor of having to move to wherever.

If I could start all over though, I would have chosen the miltary @ 18 straight from HS. Skip college and all.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I have a degree in Accounting, but have worked in tech the last 20 years. Having any bachelors degree is an advantage. You need to figure out what you'd like to do/what jobs are possible and then figure a way to get into that field. That may mean starting at a low level in a company that has that type of job and working toward that. For example, working as a security guard at a company that has other jobs that you may be interested in. If a company knows you and your work ethic, you already have your foot in the door.

My brother worked in a warehouse for a car part distributor. He didn't finish high school. An opportunity came up where they sent him for training to become a MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineer). He wound up making 6 figures. I think being at smaller-medium sized company probably improves your chances for something like that.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

dm200 wrote:What about positions/careers in something like financial fraud invetigations or "forensic" accounting where you could combine the criminal justice and accounting?
Becoming a bank or credit union examiner might also be a possibility.
Here is link for NCUA (credit union) employment https://www.ncua.gov/About/leadership/P ... urces.aspx
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

workingovertime wrote:I don't have much desire nor greed for money, but all I want is to be able to make a good income to support a family and not having to put future children on a daycare or something. If I pursue Accounting, I feel like that would be the only reason. At the same time, that seems like a very bad reason to pursuing something for 3 yrs costing money, time, and other opportunities. I'm just not sure what else I should do to further myself. I don't have any particular interests and to be honest, I have low motivation in terms of work lately. Not much really seems to get me excited. It's been very frustrating not knowing what I want to strive for and to have a goal in terms of my career.
Unless you literally have no other options, I don't think it's ever a good idea to pursue a career in a field you have no interest in just for the money.
workingovertime wrote:Military is something that I've considered strongly many times. Unfortunately right now, I have kind of eliminated that option since my partner also have a career to establish.
She has a decent paying stable job and we're not really in favor of having to move to wherever.

If I could start all over though, I would have chosen the miltary @ 18 straight from HS. Skip college and all.
You could always join the reserves if you want to consider the military route. Once you complete basic training and AIT, you'll drill once a weekend every month and two weeks a year. If you can find a unit close to your home, you can stay in the same area. The one catch with the reserves is you can get mobilized and you'll have to spend a year or so away from home. Since you already have a Bachelors, you can get commissioned as an officer right away. Health insurance for the reserves is pretty affordable I think, and you'll also gain access to the TSP.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

There are a wide variety of careers in or related to "Accounting" and Accounting knowledge. Just because you are not interested in one or two aspects does not mean that you may not like or be interested in others.
nova1968

Post by nova1968 »

I also have a degree in Criminal Justice, I pursued a Law Enforcement Career with the Feds and by the time I turned 40 I got tired of it. I took several classes in accounting. I realized it would take another 4 years of accounting and business classes to obtain an accounting degree and to qualify for the CPA exam. By the time I got to the advanced accounting classes at Florida Atlantic University in South Fl I was struggling. I changed course and took the easy route by obtaining an MBA in 18 months. Rather than having two BA degrees I have a graduate degree. Having an MBA allowed me to change careers and stay with same Federal Agency as a Contract Specialist. If you have an aptitude for accounting and like it you could grind it out. An accounting degree will open doors, however there are other options.
You will never regret having too much education.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

I'm a 30 a year old CPA in Chicago. I can't really give advice to your particular situation as I don't know your location and the university you are taking classes at.However, I'm pretty sure no-one gets into this profession due to "passion." I went into it because I had an interest in money and finances; and I knew I could potentially work for myself one day. One thing I will say is that the profession is a meritocracy. If you work your butt off and are aggressive, there is no reason you can't make a good career and good money. Six figures after 5-7 years in the field is not out of the question (in a non-LCOL area). And yes, you can get into a good company (whether big four or elsewhere) even as an unconventional candidate at age 30. If you don't work hard at it and don't finish your CPA, your employment prospects will most likely not be as good.
amindu

Post by amindu »

I suggest, you get your Masters in Accounting, quite a few colleges offer this 1 year course, which will give you your required courses and a graduate degree. The big 4 hire all candidates regardless of their age, as long as you graduate from a good school and have a good GPA. I have met folks that had a music degree for bachelors and were working in big 4, after getting their masters. I have to disagree with what a lot of folks have said here. You can easily make 6 figures in 6-8 years. Starting out depending on where you live, I am referring to the South, you will start by making mid-high 50s. In 4-5 years you should be making high 70s to low 80s. Once you make Manager, you should be at high 90s/100K. I have been in this field in public accounting for 11 years, and some of the comments below are not accurate from a compensation perspective. If you are good at what you do, you should be able to rise up in the ranks, and make good money. Regardless of if you choose Audit or Tax, i would suggest explore both and see what you like. My suggestion is start in Big 4, and do the grunt work for 4-5 years, then move either to a regional firm or industry in a Manager position, which will give you work/life balance, and you will find you are compensated quite well. If you need more advice feel free to reach out.
Topic Author
workingovertime

Pacman wrote:I'm a 30 a year old CPA in Chicago. I can't really give advice to your particular situation as I don't know your location and the university you are taking classes at.However, I'm pretty sure no-one gets into this profession due to "passion." I went into it because I had an interest in money and finances; and I knew I could potentially work for myself one day. One thing I will say is that the profession is a meritocracy. If you work your butt off and are aggressive, there is no reason you can't make a good career and good money. Six figures after 5-7 years in the field is not out of the question (in a non-LCOL area). And yes, you can get into a good company (whether big four or elsewhere) even as an unconventional candidate at age 30. If you don't work hard at it and don't finish your CPA, your employment prospects will most likely not be as good.
Pacman, as someone currently working in the field... what do you think about other posters staying that accountants don't really make as much money as people think?

I'm unsure about striving for high level accounting positions or manager positions, but I can only say that I'm unsure bc I don't know much about it at all. But given the situation that I work hard as a good productive employee NOT seeking promotion after promotions, what kind of idea would one be looking at as far as income? I live in a Florida major metro city. I would hope that at the peak of my career, I would be looking at near 6 figures, even if I don't seek managerial or such positions. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I should pursue this, as opportunity cost for pursuing a new degree/CPA is quite high (time, money, but most importantly time lost not pursuing other things at an important time before 30 yrs old)
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

amindu wrote:I suggest, you get your Masters in Accounting, quite a few colleges offer this 1 year course, which will give you your required courses and a graduate degree. .... I have met folks that had a music degree for bachelors and were working in big 4, after getting their masters. ....
I agree with your suggestion.

A music major with a professional degree should be fine.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

workingovertime wrote:
Pacman wrote:I'm a 30 a year old CPA in Chicago. I can't really give advice to your particular situation as I don't know your location and the university you are taking classes at.However, I'm pretty sure no-one gets into this profession due to "passion." I went into it because I had an interest in money and finances; and I knew I could potentially work for myself one day. One thing I will say is that the profession is a meritocracy. If you work your butt off and are aggressive, there is no reason you can't make a good career and good money. Six figures after 5-7 years in the field is not out of the question (in a non-LCOL area). And yes, you can get into a good company (whether big four or elsewhere) even as an unconventional candidate at age 30. If you don't work hard at it and don't finish your CPA, your employment prospects will most likely not be as good.
Pacman, as someone currently working in the field... what do you think about other posters staying that accountants don't really make as much money as people think?

I'm unsure about striving for high level accounting positions or manager positions, but I can only say that I'm unsure bc I don't know much about it at all. But given the situation that I work hard as a good productive employee NOT seeking promotion after promotions, what kind of idea would one be looking at as far as income? I live in a Florida major metro city. I would hope that at the peak of my career, I would be looking at near 6 figures, even if I don't seek managerial or such positions. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I should pursue this, as opportunity cost for pursuing a new degree/CPA is quite high (time, money, but most importantly time lost not pursuing other things at an important time before 30 yrs old)
They might be correct if they are talking about averages. I was only saying that there is plenty of career opportunities for ambitious people. Here are salary ranges as I see them. These are intentionally broad. Lower end is LCOL and no CPA, higher end is HCOL with CPA.
Staff Acct: $40K - $65K
Senior Acct: $60K - $85K
Manager: $80K - $125K
And so forth
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

workingovertime wrote:... what do you think about other posters staying that accountants don't really make as much money as people think?

Why not look at the data? https://www.careeronestop.org/toolkit/w ... 9_pnlTitle
amindu

Post by amindu »

flyingbison wrote:
workingovertime wrote:... what do you think about other posters staying that accountants don't really make as much money as people think?

Why not look at the data? https://www.careeronestop.org/toolkit/w ... 9_pnlTitle

The actual guide used in the industry is through Robert Half, will give you a better idea.

https://www.roberthalf.com/finance/the- ... nd-finance
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I have met folks that had a music degree for bachelors
Yes! I knew someone in NY City who was a graduate of Julliard (some orchestral instrument), but then became a CPA (and opened his own accounting service company) because he saw the career/income future much better as a successful businessman vs. a struggling "artist"
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

amindu wrote:
flyingbison wrote:

The actual guide used in the industry is through Robert Half, will give you a better idea.

How do you know it is better than data from the BLS? Not disagreeing, just not familiar with it.
amindu

Post by amindu »

flyingbison wrote:
amindu wrote:
flyingbison wrote:

How do you know it is better than data from the BLS? Not disagreeing, just not familiar with it.
What level do they quote at the BLS? Just seems low to me, is the median salary for a first year staff? or someone with say 5 years of experience? If the later then its way too low.

In the industry the accounting firms use Robert Half as a guide, when they do yearly compensation. We all look at this when we get our raises and bonuses to see where we are at, it gives you an idea. Again this is if you work as a CPA in Audit or Tax in public accounting or industry. Now if you are doing like bookkeeping or basic accounting then yes you will be making a lot less.

My brother just started in a mid size regional firm, as an auditor. Per the Guide, the range is $ 52,250 - $ 64,750. He started at 58K, out of college, with a Masters, from a local university (not a top tier univ, i think they come in Tier 3) You take that times your COL which is given in the back, our area is 107, Miami is 107, Orlando 100. I don't know which city the OP lives in. So its more of a guide, you will fall anywhere in that range/spectrum.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Are you enjoying your accounting classes and do you want to be an accountant? If not, look at other degrees in fields that you are more interested in.

Presumably your college has a career assessment and development office or similar and can provide testing and assistance in finding areas of interest. Make an appointment and go there.
keystone

Post by keystone »

dm200 wrote:
I have met folks that had a music degree for bachelors
Yes! I knew someone in NY City who was a graduate of Julliard (some orchestral instrument), but then became a CPA (and opened his own accounting service company) because he saw the career/income future much better as a successful businessman vs. a struggling "artist"
I've had two separate bosses in my accounting career who started out with undergraduate music degrees. Much to my surprise, both of them insisted that it actually helped them in their pursuit of an accounting career.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

amindu wrote: What level do they quote at the BLS? Just seems low to me, is the median salary for a first year staff? or someone with say 5 years of experience? If the later then its way too low.
The BLS numbers are inclusive of everyone in the occupation, so the median is for all accountants.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

I thought CPA's made more than what's being talked about here. Pretty surprised actually.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
dm200

Post by dm200 »

BW1985 wrote:I thought CPA's made more than what's being talked about here. Pretty surprised actually.
I believe it depends on what the CPAs actually do.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

workingovertime wrote: I've worked as an intern for the U.S. Pretrial Services for a few months...I hated the first 2 jobs and couldn't stand it no matter the salary.
What did you hate about US Pretrial?
Young Buck

Post by Young Buck »

I'm 28 years old with a Bachelor's in Accounting and a CPA. I live in Texas (LCOL) and make $85k/year base salary as a Senior Accountant. Accounting work is boring as hell, but the salary ceiling is quite high imo.
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

workingovertime wrote:I agree with many of the replies here.
Like I mentioned, I have constant doubts about pursuing this Accounting degree and my main motivation is to make a decent salary to sufficiently support a family on my own... but not much about the job itself. I have a gut feeling that that won't be a good decision and I fear regretting getting another degree that I will not utilize well.

I know all jobs have their pros and cons but one of the job that I've always wanted was to have a truck driver. I know it's not for everyone but I feel that it's right for my persoanlity. I can foresee many things about this job that I will also dislike but I feel like I would be ok with them. One of the major reasons I didn't pursue this way earlier is honestly just pressure from my parents. It's not necessarily a very respectable job, although I strongly disagree with them.

Only issue I see about this career is that there is a much more definite salary ceiling as opposed to careers like Accounting. Sure, I could go into management or such within truck driving but that's just a whole job. On the positive note, starting pay is pretty decent and can be done in a short time period.
Not sure where you live or your financial situation. But have you considered buying a sales route? Usually tons available for bread, chips and snacks, soda, etc.

You would get to drive quite a bit, but you would also own your own business, something you could manage and grow over time. Price will vary based on the product and area, but usually you can finance a good portion (many times at a usurious rate from a broker). Maybe something worth looking into
ems2013

Post by ems2013 »

My Father-in-law had an accounting degree and the best part of his career, he says, was working for the Justice Dept on financial fraud cases. He retired at 55 with 30 years as a federal employee and, at 78, continues to thoroughly enjoy retirement.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I do think it would be helpful to figure out what you disliked about your first two jobs. Have you worked with a career counselor? I agree that spending time and money on a degree that qualifies you for a job that you are equally unhappy with is a bad idea.

It is also a bad idea to choose based on average salaries in a field that has a very large salary range.

Also, the average person with a CDL makes more than the average person with an accounting degree where I am located. Even better salaries are made by the guys who are certified as heavy machinery operators, like the guys that move the dirt when they are building a new shopping mall. An ambitious guy can earn six figures doing that.

Find out real facts. Ask lots of questions. Know yourself.
Viking Too

Post by Viking Too »

After my first career was automated out of existence in the early 1980s I went back to school and, at 28, graduated with a double major in accounting and finance. Worked at a big 4 CPA firm for 5 years, obtained my CPA, and pretty much hated working as a junior auditor. Moved to the government sector and finished off my career at an executive level with an Auditor General. Retired three years ago at 53.

My experience upon graduation was that more mature students were not at a disadvantage, in fact, rather the opposite.

While you need to understanding bookkeeping, I found that doing bookkeeping was rather routine and not fulfilling. It is much more rewarding to work on understanding business processes, the types of decisions that need to be made, developing accounting and control policies and processes to fit organizational and regulatory needs, and building information/reporting systems to support all of these. It's also much more lucrative.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

You're 30? Just a child :happy heck yes, keep going and finish this thing off.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Have you considered working for the state you live in under the departments of probation and/or parole. I know several people who are state employees and they enjoy their work, it pays the bills, good benefits, and with a criminal justice background (and interest) it might be right up your alley. Check with your states civil service commission website to search for jobs. FYI--sometimes it's not always easy to get the particular civil service job you might want (there might not be an opening or they only hire from an existing state employee pool). So many people I know started at lower salaries and jobs (like clerical) just to get into the state system and then transferred into probation and/or parole. Let us know how it goes.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement