2 Days in Nashville - What to see

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
joesmom1

2 Days in Nashville - What to see

Post by joesmom1 »

Will be spending 2 days in Nashville - What should I see? Any recommendations on where to eat?
health teacher

Re: 2 Days in Nashville - What to see

Post by health teacher »

Depending on what nights you are staying, The Grand Ole Opry is pretty cool. It's about a 15 minute drive from downtown.

The Pancake Pantry is a popular breakfast spot near Vanderbilt. There will be a line out the door, but it moves quick.

You can catch a Predators hockey game. Bridgestone Arena is right on Broadway which is neat.

Obviously, the honkytonks on Broadway are worth checking out if you like music. It's just amazing to see how much live music that was available.

Bluebird Cafe is deemed one of the best and most intimate for live music in Nashville.

I remember eating at the Loveless Cafe for breakfast, but it's somewhere on the outskirts.

I don't remember any of the food being particularly amazing, but it's been a few years. It was definitely good food, but can't remember anywhere off the top of my head. Edit: I do remember eating at Jack's BBQ on Broadway.

Also, there is a replica of the Parthenon in Nashville. It was definitely worth checking out.
Last edited by health teacher on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Gruhn's Guitars if you are a guitar player. I'm going to Nashville for a week on business and plan to go to Gruhn's at some point. Sorta runs on bankers hours but their vintage guitar stock is always worth looking over.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
pintail07

Post by pintail07 »

Depends on when you are there. For food, I would highly recommend Monell's for lunch or breakfast, the very best, ate there today. Good steak and seafood at locally owned Jimmy Kelley's or Sprerry's, old established southern steak spots. The Hermitage, home of Andrew Jackson is really neat.
btenny

Post by btenny »

If you are a country music fan go down to Broadway by the river and just walk down the street and listen to the music. The sound is fantastic. There are so many choices and they are mostly all good. There are maybe 100 different bars and music venues in that 4-5 block area with live music all day long. The music starts every afternoon around 2PM and goes to 1AM each morning. Every place has some country music group and a 2-5 piece band on their stage. Each group plays for 2 hours then rotates out so another band can play. The entry fee is a $3 beer at most. Many places are free. It is a total blast to just go from one spot to the next and listen to the good music. It is really amazing how many talented people move to Nashville to try to become a star. They are on every corner. We used up two days doing this on our last trip.

I suggest you go to the Grand Old Opry one evening. You will see how old time country music radio was done back when and still is done today. It is pretty funny but interesting. Beware you will only see the headliners music acts for maybe 5 minutes. Do not expect a long concert. But it is cool if you are a country music fan.

Or you might spend part of a day going through the Country Music Hall of Fame. It is pretty nice and has lots of history and old time music. Or you might take a tour of the Ryman Auditorium. This is where country music started in the 1800s and where the Old Opry was done way back when. It is also used for special concerts today. Both these places are right next to Broadway and all the bar music.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_M ... and_Museum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryman_Auditorium

We stayed in a La Quinta motel way over on the east side of town by the Opry Land Hotel. It was inexpensive and OK. Nashville is easy to get around by rental car so we just drove as needed. We did not find any special places to eat. We focused on watching music and snacked as time was available.

Good Luck.
ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone »

Bluebird Cafe.

One of the coolest nights I ever had. My wife and I went and she was pregnant with our son. We went on a Thursday night, I believe, and it had been snowing heavily that day (or maybe the night before, my memory's a little hazy) so there were very few people out that night. Our waitress sat us right behind the circle of 4 artists playing. All of a sudden Ritchie McDonald (lead singer for Lonestar) showed up and pulled up a seat right beside us, and played/sang for a while.

After the show, for whatever reason, he approached us and asked about the baby, and just did small talk for about 20 minutes. Really nice guy and made for a super cool story.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Hot fried chicken :beer
Prince's on north side or Hattie B's near Vanderbilt.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

ERISA Stone wrote:Bluebird Cafe.

One of the coolest nights I ever had. My wife and I went and she was pregnant with our son. We went on a Thursday night, I believe, and it had been snowing heavily that day (or maybe the night before, my memory's a little hazy) so there were very few people out that night. Our waitress sat us right behind the circle of 4 artists playing. All of a sudden Ritchie McDonald (lead singer for Lonestar) showed up and pulled up a seat right beside us, and played/sang for a while.

After the show, for whatever reason, he approached us and asked about the baby, and just did small talk for about 20 minutes. Really nice guy and made for a super cool story.
Really fun story. Always liked Lonestar.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Here are two Bogleheads threads:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=164197&hilit=nashville&start=50

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=96628&p=1394448&hi ... e#p1394448

These threads are fairly old, however.
Gordon
Gordon
siamond

Post by siamond »

I will visit Nashville in a couple of months too, please keep the advice going!
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

Even if you're not staying there, the Opryland Hotel is actually pretty neat to visit. I used to enjoy just walking around the indoor gardens. It is especially pretty at Christmas time.

Edited to add a link:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/b ... on-center/
pintail07

Post by pintail07 »

If you are coming during baseball season, the minor league team here has a fantastic facility. Also consider renting a boat at Percy Priest.
LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN »

Consider the full scale replica of The Parthenon in Centennial Park.

If you're into Presidential history, check Andrew Jackson's home The Hermitage
Last edited by LeeInTN on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Cracker Barrel and Chick-fil-A are very popular in middle Tennessee.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

We moved away from Nashville nearly a decade ago now but spent 5yrs there. Definitely go to the Honky Tonks on Lower Broadway and listen to the music, pretty much everyone in Nashville is talented, karaoke nights anywhere in town can be super entertaining. The Station Inn has a bluegrass jam on Sunday nights that is unbelievably good and you never know who will show up. The Bluebird can be great or terrible, take a look at who's playing and make a reservation in advance...and don't be shocked when you pull up to a strip mall.

There's great music in Nashville and these days there is apparently good food too. Take a walk through downtown Franklin outside the city if you have a car, it's a great civil war era town and Leiper's Fork a little farther south is also worth a visit. 12 South neighborhood has some nice galleries and the area around Vanderbilt is also fun.
Angst

Post by Angst »

Roberts on lower Broadway.

If you want to hear session players covering old country, alt-country, etc. classics from as far back as the 50's to more recent times, you can't beat Roberts. No cover, great house bands, cheap food/beer... and the area is one of the most walkable for looking around at night... at least it was a while back. I haven't been in town for too long.
yngdoc

Post by yngdoc »

pintail07 wrote:recommend Monell's for lunch or breakfast, .

+1
black cat fortunate

Post by black cat fortunate »

How about with two 3.5 year old boys?

For music, appreciate suggestions of Station Inn & Roberts -- any other recommended alt-country/folk-indie music spots? (not with the kids)

Thanks in advance
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

The eater.com web site has sections for at least a couple of dozen cities: https://nashville.eater.com/
Winston19

Post by Winston19 »

A few restaurants below.

Butcher and Bee (food here is truly something special)
Arnold's
Hattie B's
Mas Tacos
Biscuit Love

3rd and Lindsley is a good venue for music.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

blackcat allie wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:50 am How about with two 3.5 year old boys?

For music, appreciate suggestions of Station Inn & Roberts -- any other recommended alt-country/folk-indie music spots? (not with the kids)

Thanks in advance
Let them run around The Parthenon, it's kind of ridiculous but fun to visit with kids and a nice park area surrounding it.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Thought I would dust off this older thread. DW and I are thinking of two nights next week. Any decent/reasonable places to stay that allows one to walk the downtown Broadway area from Hotel safely? How are things downtown during COVID era? Fully open now or limited open? Stay away or okay for those fully vaccinated?
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Another place to visit while in Nashville:

Frist Art Museum

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Yeah, the Picasso exhibit at the First is great, but might be sold out.

The Hermitage is my favorite hotel. Right downtown. I classify as "fancy but worth it."

Hatch Show Print is fun. Now it's conveniently in the Country Music Hall of Fame building which makes for a fun afternoon.

The Parthenon. We got married in Nashville and honeymooned in Greece so went from the, um, modern one to the other one ;-)

If you've got a car, Cheekwood's a nice visit.

Downtown was a bit too busy for my tastes these days, but I'm old ;-) Have a fun trip!
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

tenkuky wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:01 pm Hot fried chicken :beer
Prince's on north side or Hattie B's near Vanderbilt.
Agree with this one. My only recommendation is too try and eat at an off hour. I don't know about Prince's but Hattie B's had REALLY LONG waits the last time I was there.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

AllMostThere wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:09 pm Thought I would dust off this older thread. DW and I are thinking of two nights next week. Any decent/reasonable places to stay that allows one to walk the downtown Broadway area from Hotel safely? How are things downtown during COVID era? Fully open now or limited open? Stay away or okay for those fully vaccinated?
We were downtown in March. Broadway seemed slightly less crowded than previous visits, but still very busy.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

AllMostThere wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:09 pm Any decent/reasonable places to stay that allows one to walk the downtown Broadway area from Hotel safely?
Any hotel or Air B&B downtown that's east of 12th Ave, south of Charlotte, and north of (or on) Peabody should get you a safe and convenient walk to lower Broad.

Areas like the Gulch or West End would also be fine safety-wise, but are going to be more of a hike to get downtown.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

JupiterJones wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:25 pm
AllMostThere wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:09 pm Any decent/reasonable places to stay that allows one to walk the downtown Broadway area from Hotel safely?
Any hotel or Air B&B downtown that's east of 12th Ave, south of Charlotte, and north of (or on) Peabody should get you a safe and convenient walk to lower Broad.

Areas like the Gulch or West End would also be fine safety-wise, but are going to be more of a hike to get downtown.
A few years ago we stayed at a hotel farther up Broadway that offered free shuttles to and from Lower Broad. I don't recall what it was, but that might be something to look for while looking for a place to stay.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

If you like barbecue, go to Edley's in 12 South. It's very good.

Also, we are not huge country music fans, but we really enjoyed the Country Music Hall of Fame. You can buy a ticket that also includes a tour of one of the famous music studios on Music Row where Elvis and many others recorded.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

We stayed at the Gaylord and it was horrible. Fake dusty flowers and tacky decor with weird old people smells. Don't waste your dollars staying there.

Country music mostly makes my ears bleed, but the rooftop bars had great energy and were super fun. You must go to Tootsies, but read the history of the bar ahead of time. It's on par with Brazen Head in Ireland and other famous places that are a must-see.

Otherwise...we found it a bit 'meh...unless you are into Confederate gear. Lots of rings, flags, ashtrays, and tchotchke.
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

Agree with other suggestions. Particularly Parthenon, Jack's, and Blue Bird Cafe. Would add Grand Ole Opry House, Ryman Auditorium, Music City Hall of Fame (also the Walk of Fame), Printer's Alley, Riverfront Park, Andrew Jackson's Hermitage, and Natchez Trace. It's been too long since I've been there to recall restaurants. Probably not surprising to hear there is a vibrant music scene. Though it may be worth knowing it is not all country if you are looking for something outside of that genre.
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I feel certain that it must have been mentioned upthread, but a trip out to Loveless Cafe for breakfast is worthwhile.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

If you like music
“the listening room” was a great night out for dinner
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Many want to try the hot chicken, and there are many places with little difference. BBQ an interest of many, Edley's and Martin's are popular. Central BBQ has recently opened, and it is regularly voted the best in Memphis, arguably the BBQ capital of the world. Parthenon is interesting, too. Edge is a very nice restaurant.

Tim
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

All great recommendations, thank you. Based upon this feedback, we found a decent hotel in the Gulch area for two nights next week. It appears to also have a shuttle that will take you downtown within 2 miles. We will probably walk, but good to know. Really looking forward to some good food, music and other attractions pointed out. Again, thank you. Keep'em coming :beer
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
hand

Post by hand »

Lots of good restaurants - my favorite is Rolf & Daughters in Germantown
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I've been living in Nashville for about 20 years now. As a local, I hate going to Broadway (too touristy/crowded for my taste now), but you have to go there if you haven't been to Nashville before. It is getting more touristy, but you can also check out midtown in the music row area (Demonbreum and Division Street which are just a couple blocks away from each other) which is where I prefer to go anymore. There is also a brand new Virgin Hotel in midtown across the street from ASCAP (one of the three major performing rights organizations for songwriters) and Sony Publishing (they own the Beatles catalog) and then Warner Music Nashville (home to Blake Shelton, Kenny Chesney, Zac Brown Band, Dan + Shay and several others) is about a block away from there. Of course there are several other businesses in the music row area like studios where Dolly Parton recorded "Jolene" and studios that Elvis and others recorded in.

Enjoy your stay. :sharebeer
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

mrsbetsy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:13 pm We stayed at the Gaylord and it was horrible. Fake dusty flowers and tacky decor with weird old people smells. Don't waste your dollars staying there.
I agree that booking a room at the Opryland hotel is probably not worth it, but I would still recommend a visit to check out the property. I think it's pretty cool. Then again, I don't mind things that are tacky and/or weird-smelling. :D

(Tip for those driving: Park for free at the mall and walk over to the hotel.)
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

And while I'm here, I'll point out that there's a reason Nashville is called "Music City", and not specifically "Country Music City". There's a lot great music here that a visitor can discover if they happen to get honky-tonked out. Not sure how much of this is "back to normal" yet, but...
  • Bluegrass - Yeah, it's a country subgenre I guess, but still a nice relief from the songs about Trucks and cut-off jeans. The Station Inn is the standard bearer here of course, and the Opry has a wonderful bluegrass series at the Ryman each year too. But if you want a real "Nashville" experience and happen to be in town during the right weekend (with good weather), grab a rideshare to one of the Full Moon Pickin' Parties or Cornelia Fort Pickin' Parties.
  • Classical - The multiple-Grammy-award-winning Nashville Symphony usually plays various community events in the summer (including the big 4th-of-July celebration), but if you're in town during their regular season you can catch them downtown at the marvelous Schermerhorn Symphony Center.
  • Jazz - You can catch a set nearly any night at Rudy's Jazz room, a few blocks off the Gulch. In Green Hills, a restaurant called Char often has solo piano going on at the bar area, featuring a rotating roster of some of the best jazz pianists in town. Jazz trios are likely for Sunday brunch. But if you're lucky, you'll be in town when there's something going on at the Nashville Jazz Workshop.
  • Other - There's a City Winery branch in Nashville that gets great folk/rock/pop/etc. acts in on a regular basis. The food and (no surprise) wine is pretty darn good too.
Last edited by JupiterJones on Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

I'm a fan of The Stillery restaurant in the downtown Nashville area for their excellent burgers. Also DeSano pizza is very good as is Hattie B's, Pancake Pantry, and Mission BBQ which is walking distance from the Opryland hotel. The Christmas lights in that hotel are worth a look imo. We also ate at and liked the food at The Row where we listened to amateur musicians.
AA: 40/41/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds