Jackson Hole in July?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jinx

Jackson Hole in July?

Post by jinx »

I will be attending a conference in Jackson Hole, WY this July. I am thinking about bring my family (wife, 7 yo son, and 3 yo son) and making it a family vacation as well. Anybody vacation in Jackson Hole during this time? Any advice for activities with younger children? Thanks in advance!
livesoft

Re: Jackson Hole in July?

Post by livesoft »

Teton Raptor Center. Attend a Program.

Snake River float trip.

Starting at Jenny Lake hike to Moose Ponds, see moose(s), then hike back. http://www.tetonhikingtrails.com/moose-ponds.htm 3 year old can do this.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Go for nice walks ,
Plenty of fresh air and exercise. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

If you intend to do any hiking, then get the kids (and parents) used to walking 5 miles minimum a day. For instance, walk to school with both kids and back with the 3-year-old. Don't use bikes.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

One of our favorite trips. Breakfast at Bubba's can fuel your hike.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

I think when my kids were 7, maybe 6, we spent two weeks in that area in July. About a week in Jackson Hole, two or three days in Jackson, and four or five days in Yellowstone. One son cried for 30 minute prior to going to bed the last two nights, "I don't ever want to leave Wyoming!" So I think it was a hit.

Did some wonderful easy hikes, nice views, fields of wildflowers. Did the snake river float. Hired a guide from Exum to do an easy three pitch mountain climb (the boys named it Mt Basic. :) ) There is if memory serves a Ripley's Believe it or Not museum in Jackson.

Go see the old Faithful Inn. Go see various hot springs and such in Yellowstone.

Played in Lake Jenny.

Saw deer, a moose, I saw a mother and baby bear coming down from climbing the Grand, mom on one side of the trail eating berries and the cub on the other - needless to say we did not go down the trail right between them!

Go fishing.

Tons to do.

Agree with livesoft, get them used to hiking first.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

I second the Snake River float trip through Grand Teton NP. Probably the highlight of our trip.

It's a bit of a drive, but our kids also enjoyed going to Cody, WY. We spent two nights at the end of our trip and went to the rodeo and then the Buffalo Bill museum.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

ClaycordJCA wrote:It's a bit of a drive, but our kids also enjoyed going to Cody, WY. We spent two nights at the end of our trip and went to the rodeo and then the Buffalo Bill museum.
No kidding. It is all the way north and northeast through Yellowstone National Park to get to Cody. And you would have to drive back if flying in/out of Jackson.
Topic Author
jinx

Post by jinx »

Thanks! Great information. Will definitely take the family.

Will plan on Teton Raptor, Center and Snake River float trip, and plenty of hiking. We are an active family and do plenty of hiking, but will be sure to get the kids in shape. Will check on Cody, WY.

Anybody stay at the Snake River Lodge?
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Underneath the Mangy Moose in Teton Village is a little restaurant with the best oatmeal pancakes I've had.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

I guess with the kid that the silver dollar saloon is out-- :) although the kid might enjoy sitting on the saddles they use for chairs.
Caligal

Post by Caligal »

Hi -

We went to Jackson Hole in the summer of 2015 - here are some of our favorites -

Snake River Brewing - very family friendly, lively and great food

Jackson Hole Eco Tour Adventures - on the expensive side but we had a great tour and learned quite a bit about the area, the history and the wildlife. The tour guides are trained biologists and know all of the best wildlife viewing spots. We watched a badger hunting for breakfast as well as the more common wildlife including elk, pronghorns, moose, eagles, bison, fox, etc.

National Museum of Wildlife Art - since all of the artwork is wildlife related - this might be worthwhile for your family. Beautiful museum. Even if you don't go in - stop by and see the outdoor sculptures - great photo ops.

Have fun - the Grand Tetons are gorgeous.
KNMLHD

Post by KNMLHD »

Plenty of things to do in Jackson Hole and in the Tetons as people have mentioned... Another to consider, you wouldn't be too far from Yellowstone either. The eastern entrance is maybe an hour or so (give or take) from Jackson Hole.

I personally enjoyed the eastern side more than some of the heavier hit areas like Old Faithful on the western side.
walker46

Post by walker46 »

National Museum of Wildlife Art - since all of the artwork is wildlife related - this might be worthwhile for your family. Beautiful museum. Even if you don't go in - stop by and see the outdoor sculptures - great photo ops.
+1 When this was suggested to us I thought it was probably just a tourist trap, but it turned out to be an outstanding art museum.
Topic Author
jinx

Post by jinx »

So, this trip is happening next week! We have plans for:

-Teto Raptor Center
-Nature Jeep Safari
-Chuckwagon evening (Bar-T-Five covered wagon)
-Plenty of hiking/biking (will definitely check out Moose Ponds)
-Dinner at Snake River Brewing Company

Unfortunately, our 3 year old won't be able to do the float trip. We are considering a day trip to Yellowstone.

Any other recommendations? Thanks for the suggestions thus far.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

jinx wrote: We are considering a day trip to Yellowstone.
It will be quite a drive there and back unless you simply intend to enter the park by 10 meters, do a U-turn, and drive back.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

walker46 wrote:
+1 When this was suggested to us I thought it was probably just a tourist trap, but it turned out to be an outstanding art museum.
Agreed, it was fantastic. Why would you think this was a tourist trap???