How to get rid of your belly........

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rbaldini

Re: How to get rid of your belly........

Post by rbaldini »

There's probably someone on the board that knows a lot more about this, but I decided to look around for evidence that low fat vs low carb diets, and so on, are better for weight loss - once caloric intake has been controlled for.

This article seems pretty level-headed: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/ne ... #t=article

Basically: lots of small studies seem to reveal contradictory results. Consider:
"Several trials showed that low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets resulted in more weight loss over the course of 3 to 6 months than conventional high-carbohydrate, low-fat diets,4-12 but other studies did not show this effect.13-17 A smaller group of studies that extended the follow-up to 1 year did not show that low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets were superior to high-carbohydrate, low-fat diets.6,10,16,18-21 In contrast, other researchers found that a very-high-carbohydrate, very-low-fat vegetarian diet was superior to a conventional high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet.22-24 Among the few studies that extended beyond 1 year, one showed that a very-low-fat vegetarian diet was superior to a conventional low-fat diet,24 one showed that a low-fat diet was superior to a moderate-fat diet,25 two showed that a moderate-fat, Mediterranean-style diet was superior to a low-fat diet,12,26 one showed that a low-carbohydrate diet was superior to a low-fat diet,12 and another showed no difference between high-protein and low-protein diets.10" [Numbers are citations in the article.]

They claim to have done a larger study than usual (800 people) for longer than usual (2 years). In total there seems to have been no significant differences in weight loss between diets that were high-carb, or high-fat, or high-protein, etc. They did show some differences in things like changes in high- and low-density lipoproteins, and insulin levels, but not with weight loss itself. It's pretty much all about total calories, not where they come from.

Or, in their words: "The principal finding is that the diets were equally successful in promoting clinically meaningful weight loss and the maintenance of weight loss over the course of 2 years. Satiety, hunger, satisfaction with the diet, and attendance at group sessions were similar for all diets... In conclusion, diets that are successful in causing weight loss can emphasize a range of fat, protein, and carbohydrate compositions that have beneficial effects on risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes.29,40 Such diets can also be tailored to individual patients on the basis of their personal and cultural preferences and may therefore have the best chance for long-term success."
mouses

Post by mouses »

MoonOrb wrote:
*with exception of grapes, maybe. They seem to be mostly water and sugar and roughly the functional equivalent of juice.
Whenever I read the ingredients on a no sugar added fruit drink, it has grape juice as the first or second ingredient it seems.
cheapedy

Post by cheapedy »

The easiest thing anyone can do to lose a little bit of weight is to not DRINK calories. Just replace your coffee, beer, sodas, and iced teas with water. Eat your normal every day diet and you will probably end up losing weight in a few weeks without any effort (unless you have issues with alcohol and caffeine). If you do the math you'll see that those insignificant calories do add up over time.

Another good rule that I have followed over the years is to always eat breakfast as soon as I wake up. It can be anything from oatmeal to whole grain cereal to eggs and toast, to leftover spaghetti. It's a good habit to shift from late night eating to early morning eating. I used to skip breakfast, then gorge myself at lunch because I was starving by 12:30. Not anymore.

See, no diet or exercise needed.
rbaldini

Post by rbaldini »

cheapedy wrote:The easiest thing anyone can do to lose a little bit of weight is to not DRINK calories. Just replace your coffee, beer, sodas, and iced teas with water.
Good advice, but don't worry about coffee. A cup has about 1 calorie. Same with tea. Obviously if you add a bunch of cream and sugar, that's a different story.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

rgs92 wrote:I saw comments that fruit can add a lot to your weight. I thought fresh fruit (not juices) was a good thing. What is true here?
Fruit has calories, so too much is too much.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

CFM300 wrote:Feel free to skip the ab photos, but I'd like to see...
livesoft wrote:25 crunches with BARBELLS in each hand held near your ears. [emphasis added]
That would be DUMB. ;)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
barreg

Post by barreg »

If the plan for losing weight is "a diet", it will eventually fail because going "on a diet" means that you will inevitably go off that diet.

If you can think of it more as a lifestyle change, you're more likely to have success. You don't have to cut out any one thing completely, but eating reasonable portions, eating more vegetables and whole foods, and exercising regularly (e.g. at least 5 days a week) will go a long way towards losing weight and ensuring long term health.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I eat a lot of complex carbs and don't gain weight. I avoid sugar, fats, and meat.
Gordon
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

I like the person before who said diet, exercise, and consistency.

IMO, diet is the biggest factor and advice usually comes in 1 of 2 forms:

1) Track your calories by writing it all down with Myfitnesspal or similar and only eat a target number of calories a day. What you eat is not particularly important as long as you stay within the target number of calories.

2) Eat certain kinds of foods and not other kinds of foods. How much you eat is not that important as long as you follow the rules of what you can and can't eat.

Both of these strategies can work. #1 will work for sure...if you eat fewer calories than you expend, you'll lose weight. #2 is just a way of getting at #1 without counting calories. By concentrating on certain foods and avoiding others, you can feel hungrier less often and naturally consume fewer calories. This won't always work for all people, but it usually does. So which route you go down really depends on what is easier for you to do and stick with over time. I prefer route #1....I don't like being told what I can and can't eat, but I can sure as heck make myself stop eating when I've reached my calorie target. I also find I parse my food out more judiciously during the day when I'm counting calories.

Having said all that, I can track my calories for weeks or even months on end but eventually I tire of it and I stop doing it. I'm naturally pretty thin but over the course of a year or so I might put on a few pounds, at which point I just start tracking the calories again until I get to where I want to be. To me, this is good enough consistency in that I never get more than 5 to 7 pounds above my target weight.
jimbeam22

Post by jimbeam22 »

I started off first by determining my BMR. A good ballpark number can be found online on several web sites. At my starting activity level, mine came up to about 2100 calories daily. Next, I started my food intake at 1gram of protein per pound of body weight. I weighed 200lb at the time. I ate roughly 200 grams of protein per day, which equates to 800 calories. 800/2100 is roughly 40% of total calories from protein. I then ate another 40% of calories from Carbs or another 800 grams. Then, the remaining 500 calories, was fat (roughly 56 grams). 40/40/20. I eventually ended up more like 45/35/20 and lowered my carbs more.

I ate 5 meals a day, breaking it down to roughly, 40 grams of protein, 40 grams of carbs, and 11 grams of fat per meal. Most of the times, I would load the first 2-3 meals a little heavier, and reduce the last 1-2 slightly.

I would cut out all sugar, and carbs. I ate ONLY oatmeal, rice (not instant), Sweet Potato, italian Green beans, Broccoli, Squash, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, Lettuce, Spinach... All LOW GI veggies. During my last meal or two, I would not eat any carbs other than what comes from the veggies (no rice or potato. Protein choices: I ate a lot of Eggs/Eqq white scrambles with canadian bacon and mushrooms, protein shake 1 per day, Chicken, Turkey breast, Tuna, Salmon, top sirloin. I was very boring, eating the same few items every day. Simple works if you can stand it. drink more water. No fruit drinks, no sugary soda. I ate very little fruit for the first several weeks. Rarely, when I would have some fruit, I would eat an apple with the skin on with an early meal, or some strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries (all farily low GI). Low fat Cottage cheese was a staple with me also.

Losing weight is about 80% diet/20% exercise/weight training but both are essential. I lifted weights, did cardio, and also high intensity interval cardio a couple times a week (sprint 1 min, recover 1 min, sprint 1 min, etc for like 8 intervals with 10 min warm up and 15 min cool down). A few weeks in, it really gets easy and the weight just falls off following these steps. If you find that it's not working as well, you can increase protein by 5% and reduce carbs by 5% and see if that helps (45/35/20). at the most, you want to be in a calorie deficit of about 1000 per day which would equate to 2lb per week at the absolute most however, the deficit must be created by exercise and not just cutting calories. You need to eat to lose weight. It's much easier to eat and burn it, than starving yourself. You won't lose weight for long cutting your calories below a certain level and the weight you lose will be mostly muscle. So, for my plan, I would shoot to burn about 3000 calories per day, while eating 2100. about a 900 calorie deficit. Although, in reality, I was only getting about 500 calorie deficit average over the whole year. I used a tracker to estimate my daily calorie spend.

I lost about 55pounds in 9 months taking it very slow. I went from about 20% body fat to 7%. Unfortunately for most people, (at least me), my body wants to be fat. I am working on this again myself. A professional bodybuilder gave me this advice about 5 years ago and it really helped me.
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

You can try all the fad diets in the world, but it will always come down to:

1. Work out more
2. Eat less

Both of these things require self-discipline in the long-term, which is the snagging point for 99% of Americans.

The fad diets will just end up either A) harming your health; B) harming your wallet; or C) likely both.

On a completely related note, I do not look forward to the hordes of resolutioners crowding the gym for the next 4-6 weeks. Somewhat thankfully, that lack of self-discipline means the crowds generally die down to normal levels by early February.
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

My trigger to lose weight is when it gets difficult to fit my rear in an economy airline seat.
pechy2925

Post by pechy2925 »

From personal experience. The Keto diet did wonders for me. High Fat, low carb. Cut the alcohol. Moderate exercise as well.

I try to stick to that diet for the most part unless I am training for an Marathon, ironman...etc. then I'll incorporate more carbs.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

rgs92 wrote:I saw comments that fruit can add a lot to your weight. I thought fresh fruit (not juices) was a good thing. What is true here?
Fruit has fiber and micronutrients. Eat enough fruit and one of two things will happen you will fill up quickly or you will not want to eat that much ever again. I speak from first hand experience when apple picking, the first apple is so good, by the third or fourth one you regret eating so much. In any event, the space taken up by the apple is that much less that is taken up by junk food. Which has more calories? Which is likely better for you?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Thanks Grt2b. I have always had apples and pears and the like and thought they were among the best things you could eat regardless of the carb-warnings.
Geneyus

Post by Geneyus »

Lifting weights and gaining muscle mass will help you burn more calories throughout the day than running a few miles. A lot of overweight people start with walking or jogging, but that takes longer. Seriously, hit the gym. You can walk or run, but lifting weights should come first. There are YouTube videos and workout plans online so you don't walk into a gym for the first time, not knowing what you're doing.

Try to eat more natural foods. I alternate between the same things for breakfast:

Odd days: oatmeal with tbsp of brown sugar, a lot of cinnamon (good for you), and dried cranberries I buy in bulk at the grocery store. And a banana.

Even days: 3 or 4 boiled eggs, a cheesestick, and a banana.

I drink a protein shake (ON whey and milk) on my way to work, and I'm not hungry until lunch time. I don't even want snacks when they're put in front of me. The protein shake keeps me full and helps me recover from workouts.

I don't eat processed junk (twinkies, oreos, donuts, etc), and I try to eat as much fish and chicken as I can. I will bake a few pounds of chicken breasts at the beginning of the week with some delicious seasoning that isn't high in sugar or fat, and those are a good snack in the evening if I can't make it to dinner time. You just have to make healthy food choices and be active. If you think something isn't good for you, try not to eat it, but don't starve yourself. Find healthy snacks. If you have to munch, get some pretzels, hummus, or fruit. Not chips. I never add sugar to anything, except my oatmeal. I put local honey (good for allergies) in my coffee. Honey is natural and doesn't cause a spike in your glucose levels like sugar.

If you need help with your diet or workouts, http://www.bodybuilding.com forums can help you.
Morse Code

Post by Morse Code »

Another anecdote here for a low carb diet. Lost 25 pounds (200 to 175) and have kept it off for a year now. Sugar is the biggest culprit.

For whatever it's worth, I have always worked out (running and weight training). I didn't lose my excess weight until I changed my diet.

Not saying exercise isn't good, just that it's secondary to diet when it comes to weight loss.
Livin' the dream
Morse Code

Post by Morse Code »

Maverick3320 wrote:You can try all the fad diets in the world, but it will always come down to:

1. Work out more
2. Eat less

Both of these things require self-discipline in the long-term, which is the snagging point for 99% of Americans.

The fad diets will just end up either A) harming your health; B) harming your wallet; or C) likely both.

On a completely related note, I do not look forward to the hordes of resolutioners crowding the gym for the next 4-6 weeks. Somewhat thankfully, that lack of self-discipline means the crowds generally die down to normal levels by early February.
With all due respect, this is just not true. I used to think the same thing when I was a professional athlete, but have learned this is out-dated advice that has proven not to work for most people. Just eating less of the same stuff is not sustainable and most people can't work off a high carb diet. My 15 year old sons? Yes. Middle aged people with kids and jobs? No way. Change what you eat for best results.
Livin' the dream
Runner01

Post by Runner01 »

Lots of bro science going on in this thread.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

I am not an expert, I am not a doctor, I am just an accountant....
...but I was told by doctor (orthopedic) to lose the extra weight I was carrying around my waist to improve my lower back issues.

I was lean my entire life until after college when I started a desk job.
I got this under control doing the following:
1. Cut way back on alcohol consumption (still have a few on the weekends).
2. Cut way back on portion size while increasing the quality.
a. Lunches are either salad with grilled chicken on top and healthy dressing or a protein with a veggie side
b. Restaurant portions are easily two meals, even then they are generally not very healthy.
c. Eat healthy snacks - i.e. Yogurt for mid-morning snack, Protein bar for mid-afternoon snack, Pretzels dipped in peanut butter in between.
d. Eat whatever I wanted for dinner, as long as the proportion was reasonable and calorie intake was in line with below.
e. Monitor overall calorie intake - I used the MyFitnessPal app to keep track. Some meals surprised me.
3. Drink lots of water.
4. Exercise
a. I purchased a recumbent style exercise bike (note lower back issue above) and worked my way up to 30 min/ day on most difficult setting.
b. I started taking my dog for a walk/ jog through the neighborhood and occasionally on the jogging path at the park, turns out he LOVES running.
c. I started excising with dumb bell weights off of my exercise ball, concentrating on maneuvers that would build upper body and core strength.
d. I walked stairs. Lots of stairs. According to my fitness tracker on weekdays (at work) it was the equivalent of 40+ flights. In the morning and every break I would get a few flights in.

I did that from around April through August and lost roughly 30 lbs, nothing hardcore but slow and steady. I was fairly lean to begin with and the only thing left to do was to tone out my muscle at that point. My house flooded in August and I had ACL reconstruction in September so that has all completely thrown my routine for a loop. Now with my knee functioning at about 80% (continues to improve but still can't run comfortably) and my house 95% complete I am looking to get back to it, I put on an extra 5 lbs since September. I have also regressed in upper body strength, but should recover that fairly quickly.

My wife on the other hand has no motivation on her own. She refuses to exercise outside of a gym.
I refuse to go to a gym until I can outgrow the cheap and very basic equipment I have (mentioned above).
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

Runner01 wrote:Lots of bro science going on in this thread.
The high carb, low fat diet as represented in the food pyramid is the biggest "bro science" myth that has been perpetuated by our government and food lobbyists for the last 40 years. Absolutely astounding how hard it is to get people to look objectively at actual science when it contradicts what they've been told by big brother and big pharma.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
ElJay

Post by ElJay »

Shackleton wrote:
The high carb, low fat diet as represented in the food pyramid is the biggest "bro science" myth that has been perpetuated by our government and food lobbyists for the last 40 years. Absolutely astounding how hard it is to get people to look objectively at actual science when it contradicts what they've been told by big brother and big pharma.
The type of calories definitely matters. Call it "bro science" or not, but I know my body treats a bowl of pasta differently than a strip of meat. As soon as carbs drift back into my diet, the scale starts climbing up.
headedwest

Post by headedwest »

I agree with those posting about the benefits of limiting/eliminating simple carbs, many of which are in white foods -- sugar, flour, rice, etc. I lost 30 pounds by eliminating such foods and loading up on low carb (especially green) veggies and healthy fats in nuts, avocados, and olive oil. For me, shifting to whole foods and minimally processed foods also was important as the ingredients in processed foods tend to cause inflammation, which promotes and sustains belly fat. The New York Times has run several recent articles on the importance of such diets, as well as the fact that individual people respond differently to specific approaches. Good luck!
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Silverado wrote:
Fruit has calories, so too much is too much.
Too much of anything is not good.
uncaD

Post by uncaD »

Tycoon wrote:Calories in < Calories burned
This is all there is to it. I'll add, though, that it is much easier (in my personal experience) to avoid consuming a given number of calories than it is to burn off the same number.
McGilicutty

Post by McGilicutty »

If you want the science behind why a low-carb diet works, check out the book Protein Power. It's written by a couple of doctors and they go into science of how a person's body responds to carbs versus protein.
Morse Code

Post by Morse Code »

uncaD wrote:
This is all there is to it.
As others have mentioned, there is a large body of scientific research and multiple studies that contradict this. The science suggests not all calories are the same.
Livin' the dream
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Morse Code wrote:
uncaD wrote:
As others have mentioned, there is a large body of scientific research and multiple studies that contradict this. The science suggests not all calories are the same.
With respect, evidence please.

My evidence = starving people do not gain weight. There is ample evidence across the globe. No need for science, or multiple studies to understand that if one doesn't eat one will lose weight.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Morse Code wrote:
uncaD wrote:
What? Give us a link please. Sure, not all calories are the same, but that doesn't contradict the statement. :)

I might suggest that "Calories in" can be mis-measured and that "Calories burned" can be mis-measured.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Morse Code wrote:
uncaD wrote:
If true, it's a strong argument for a Matrix-type future. I'd keep such a body of scientific research under wraps, too.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

At the office, I'd have lunch with a lot of Asian (such as Chinese) coworkers and friends, and I would see orders of big cheeseburgers and fries and big sugary soda pops, and this was after the donut or 2 in the morning. I'd be sitting there with my cup of yogurt, grapes, apple, and banana I brought from home with nothing else. Yet my coworkers were often thin as rails, where I could see their bones clearly if they wore short sleeves.

I would ask them about exercising since I went to the gym for a vigorous workout 4-5 times a week, and they would invariably say they never exercised.
I did notice some of them would constantly tap their feet while at their desk, which I heard was good for you to burn calories.
(I tried this but could never do it for long; I couldn't stand it or concentrate.)

They told me they always had elaborate dinners at night.

My BMI was always in the overweight range, and keeping it down there was always a struggle and I need to watch everything I eat.
Go figure.
rj49

Post by rj49 »

The simplest method for losing and keeping off weight is to follow the basic food rules of Michael Pollan: eat real food, not too much, mostly plants. That avoids fad/restrictive diets that aren't sustainable. "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink also helps with things like portion control and other mind tricks to battle the mind tricks that supermarkets and restaurants use to fatten you up. I use tricks like putting my fork or spoon down between bites, not allowing junk food or cereal or other temptations into my house, and not drinking calories (except for a beer as a reward for finishing a book). I also look at calorie counts to make better choices--there are plenty of good apps and websites to evaluate caloric content, and the Eat This/Not That website and books show you how dangerous it is eating out, with supposedly healthy salads having more calories than a pile of Big Macs.

The opposite part of the weight loss equation is exercise. Roger Ebert lost his big belly by walking 10k steps a day, but I settle for 50k steps a week, which is roughly the equivalent of walking a marathon. So even with 5 cruises since September, I've dropped 12 pounds. Then I also walk or bike most places--Mr. Money Mustache's blog is good inspiration for the benefits of biking and walking over cars for short trips, and a couple of electric bikes make it easier for me to get to hilly or more distant destinations.

I nearly had a perfect trendy diet, The S Diet, since much of what I eat starts with S: steel-cut oats, salads, soups, smoothies, sushi, seeds, but then it leaves out fruits and vegetables, alas.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (getting contentious debating "scientific research" - which is medical advice and is off-topic). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.