Where to buy good bookshelves in the bay area?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bogleraw

Where to buy good bookshelves in the bay area?

Post by bogleraw »

Hi all,

We want to buy good quality bookshelves that are sturdy and will hold college textbooks etc. We also have a problem that we are unable to bring large pieces of furniture up the stairs in our house.

Where do the Bogleheads recommend buying good quality, modular bookshelves that will last us a good while?

*EDIT* We live in the bay area. Any specific recommendations?

Thanks!
B
Last edited by bogleraw on Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfave33

Re: Where to buy good bookshelves?

Post by jfave33 »

Some ikea furniture is actually pretty good. The hemnes and liatorp bookcases are good You put it together yourself so no need to try hauling it upstairs in one piece!
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

I have quite a few three-tier stacking bookshelves, that I like a lot. They are sturdy, very portable, and I like their looks. They are not all created equal, though, so I would suggest finding a store where they are actually stocked so you can see for yourself if they are well made. I bought mine at a regional department store that is now defunct.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

I like the IKEA Billy bookshelves. Solid.
telemark

Post by telemark »

I can't make any specific recommendations, but The Container Store has a wide selection.
happyhiker

Re: Where to buy good bookshelves in the bay area?

Post by happyhiker »

Room and Board. Large selection and we were very impressed with the quality.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

We got decent bookshelves years ago at Scandinavian Designs - they had modular bookshelves with 1" thick shelves, which I understand is the thickness you should aspire to to prevent bowing over time.

We have also seen good quality shelves at Fenton McLaren and the Wooden Duck - more expensive, but also good quality.
roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle »

My wife's mom bought a couple couches at Scandinavian Designs for her back in 99 that are still going strong. The bookshelves you saw sound like the modular Lundia shelves, which are awesome, but also pricey. My wife loves them though, so I'm going to attempt fabbing a DIY knock-off.

http://www.lundiausa.com/12inch_deep_Bookcases.htm

https://plus.google.com/photos/10617137 ... 0769319969

Ikea's Billy bookshelves are great on a limited budget though. Not quite as sturdy or nice looking, but a good value.

Post by 123 »

You might want to pay a visit to "Books & Bookshelves", 99 Sanchez Street, San Francisco (415) 621-3761. Call them before visiting to verify current hours.

They have a wide range of bookshelves that can be ordered. The store has some samples of the various wood types, bookshelf styles, and finishing options (stain/paint/etc). Some small and some quite large. You can order unfinished or get them finished to your specification.

When we were shopping for bookshelves it was between ordering something from them or going with Room and Board. Since we were ordering a number of pieces for a living room we decided to splurge and go the Room and Board route.

Another thing you might want to consider in looking for bookshelves is visiting a couple of used office furniture stores. They often have a good supply of bookcases, short and tall. Used office furniture is usually very sturdy and generally generic-looking. Could be a lot of bookcases from corporate offices and law offices, some of the stuff is really nice and a lot cheaper then new. If the bookcase is going somewhere other then a primary room I think used would be a better route to go.

I think any firm that does deliveries in San Francisco has pretty much dealt with squeezing things up narrow stairs and tight corners, they do it all day long.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
bogleraw

Post by bogleraw »

Thank you all for your recommendations! :)