Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
h82goslw

Re: Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Post by h82goslw »

If you’re a Howard fan he announced today that he’s off for the rest of the summer. Is it worth the $5 per month for reruns?
Madbull

Post by Madbull »

hudson wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:14 pm
Madbull wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:42 pm Through 06/30/21, SiriusXM has their "Big Summer Upgrade" sale. It's 12 months of Select for 4.99, which is then upgraded to All-Access at no charge.
How much was the year....OTD...out the door?
Many thanks!
4.99/mo for All Access for 12/mo
1.07/mo for Music Royalty Fee for 12/mon
0.30/mo for Texas Taxes
6.36/mo for 12/mo — 76.32/yr.

I had no option to pay upfront, just the monthly auto-bill. I’m fine with that, but perhaps in Chat and/or phone it can be payed up front?
Madbull

Post by Madbull »

neilpilot wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:11 pm
Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:46 pm Apple Music is a far better deal. Why wouldn’t you want to pick what you listen to… literally anything at anytime for 10$?
One reason is that I'd also have to pay an additional $15-$35/mo for the mobile data necessary to use Apple Music.
In addition to this, I am semi-frequently passing through areas I can not stream due to the signal strength, (or lack of). Not an issue with Sat. I still have my 5/mo Pandora service as well, and will continue to use too. Different options for different folks for different scenarios.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Madbull wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 pm
Madbull wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:42 pm Through 06/30/21, SiriusXM has their "Big Summer Upgrade" sale. It's 12 months of Select for 4.99, which is then upgraded to All-Access at no charge.
Many thanks!
0.30/mo for Texas Taxes

I had no option to pay upfront, just the monthly auto-bill. I’m fine with that, but perhaps in Chat and/or phone it can be payed up front?
Thanks Madbull!!
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

Many thanks!
It’s 9.99 a month, or family it’s 15.00 a month. That’s it. Every song that’s ever been made podcast just everything.
Somethingwitty92912

Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:46 pm Apple Music is a far better deal. Why wouldn’t you want to pick what you listen to… literally anything at anytime for 10$?
One reason is that I'd also have to pay an additional $15-$35/mo for the mobile data necessary to use Apple Music.
No, you download on WiFi to your phone. While albums, anything you could ever want.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

If you had a lifetime subscription, this may be of interest

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=348570&p=6000576#p6000576
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
squirm

Post by squirm »

I have two lifetime subscriptions on units I never use anymore. I transferred one over to the car a few weeks ago without issue.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:40 pm
No, you download on WiFi to your phone. While albums, anything you could ever want.
There’s another reason I’m not interested. Don’t need to spend my time downloading music to my phone at home just so I can listen to it while driving. Good for you, not for me.
squirm

Post by squirm »

My wife and I did the music subscription thing for home, but after a year or so realized that we barely listen to music at home anymore. XM in the car is nice and have had it for over 10 years. We like to just hit a button, plus most of the time for music I like to be surprised what will play next. Our Honda will also buffer an hour.
Madbull

Post by Madbull »

squirm wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:58 pm I have two lifetime subscriptions on units I never use anymore. I transferred one over to the car a few weeks ago without issue.
I had a stand alone XM Commander unit back in the late 90s/early 00s. From what I recall I had lifetime on it, and of course eventually the unit died. I have searched high and low for any type of record/proof that I had it, (account #, receipts, e-mails, dates, etc), but alas, nothing. Ugh. :oops:
squirm

Post by squirm »

Madbull wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:47 am
squirm wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:58 pm I have two lifetime subscriptions on units I never use anymore. I transferred one over to the car a few weeks ago without issue.
I had a stand alone XM Commander unit back in the late 90s/early 00s. From what I recall I had lifetime on it, and of course eventually the unit died. I have searched high and low for any type of record/proof that I had it, (account #, receipts, e-mails, dates, etc), but alas, nothing. Ugh. :oops:
Wouldn't XM have a record of it?
Somethingwitty92912

neilpilot wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:59 pm
There’s another reason I’m not interested. Don’t need to spend my time downloading music to my phone at home just so I can listen to it while driving. Good for you, not for me.
Interestingly enough, it would take you the same amount of time to write this post. Then never have to think about it either. It also recommends similar similar music. I’ve found some of my favorite artists this way. It separates their hits with a star ⭐️ symbol next to those so if all you want is the best of the best you can have it, or with one click you can get an entire album. Queue up a bunch before bed an boom! Great listening all the way to work… no adds.
Madbull

Post by Madbull »

squirm wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:04 am
Madbull wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:47 am
Wouldn't XM have a record of it?
Conveniently, they do not. :annoyed They said without my radio ID from back then they were unable to locate any record, (which is bogus, since I obviously had it, put it in my old '75 Nova....Miss that car, haha).

Regardless, it looks like I would have needed to submit my name/info to the settlement earlier this year to be included since it would've fallen under the 'Inactive Lifetime' portion of the agreement. So I suppose it's a moot point anyway. Such is life at times.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

In addition to not paying regular price, I discovered that you can avoid paying the $15 fee to switch service from one radio to another. I got a new car in January, but still have the old one. The new car came with a four-month free subscription, and my plan was to wait until the old car's plan was up for renewal in July to switch and just use the app in the new car until them. It turns out that the app works well until it doesn't. If I hit a dead cellular data zone while I was driving, the app stopped playing, and it did not seem to be possible to get it to restart (it certainly did not do it on its own). I was rarely driving the old car (I'm holding on to it to give to my son this summer), so I finally went to the website to transfer my old car's subscription, but stopped when it tried to charge me $15 to transfer the service. So I opened a chat and the rep was happy to do it with no fee.

An added bonus is that it appears that the old radio is still working :).

They had offered me a "free" three month extension on the initial free trial but wanted $2 for it, which meant they would have had my credit card on file for automatic renewal and I did not want that. I'm sure that was the reason for the minimal charge. Otherwise I would have done it. I never let them put my credit card in the file for renewals.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Madbull wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:17 pm
In addition to this, I am semi-frequently passing through areas I can not stream due to the signal strength, (or lack of). Not an issue with Sat. I still have my 5/mo Pandora service as well, and will continue to use too. Different options for different folks for different scenarios.
Funny you mention signal strength not an issue with satellite. One reason I dropped Satellite years ago is driving thru cities or by the mountains I would have a lot of annoying drops. You must live in an area with no hills, tunnels, long bridges nor big buildings. With a push of a button before I leave the house I can download a several hour Spotify playlist (or several to get me thru a week) and not have to worry about having a satellite line of site nor cell signal. Folks responding to the folks mentioning streaming services clearly don't know how they work. Plus I can use my streaming service in all cars.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:33 am
Interestingly enough, it would take you the same amount of time to write this post. Then never have to think about it either. It also recommends similar similar music. I’ve found some of my favorite artists this way. It separates their hits with a star ⭐️ symbol next to those so if all you want is the best of the best you can have it, or with one click you can get an entire album. Queue up a bunch before bed an boom! Great listening all the way to work… no adds.
I have spotify which creates 6 hour "Daily mixes" based upon my preferences. One push to open the app - one to download one or two daily mixes. Then when I get in my car I don't need to change between satellite changes when they start repeating songs - so the 2 pushes I did at home avoids changing stations in the car :)
Of course I also have thousands of albums and other playlists to choose from if I do want to create something specific for a long drive - but you don't need to do this.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Madbull wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 pm
Many thanks!
0.30/mo for Texas Taxes

I just renewed for 1 year at 77.74 out the door.
I did the chat.
Off the bat I requested 3 vehicles for $240 out the door.
He initially balked and said that he couldn't.
I replied, "I humbly request 3 vehicles for $240 out the door.
He came back with the 77.74 per vehicle and we wrapped it up.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

hudson wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:06 pm I just renewed for 1 year at 77.74 out the door.
I did the chat.
Off the bat I requested 3 vehicles for $240 out the door.
77.74 x 3 = $233.22
Better than what you asked for, good job sticking to your request.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

hudson wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:06 pm Off the bat I requested 3 vehicles for $240 out the door.
Had you not had the discounted rate before? I just tell them that I want the same rate I had previously, or I'm cancelling, and they do it. Haven't had them tell me "no" in several years. Maybe his math wasn't very good, and he did not realize what you were asking for on a per-radio basis.

At some point last year, there was allegedly a way to do it online without even going through chat, but I could not find it, so I had to do chat.
hudson

Post by hudson »

MisterBill wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:03 am
hudson wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:06 pm Off the bat I requested 3 vehicles for $240 out the door.
Had you not had the discounted rate before? I just tell them that I want the same rate I had previously, or I'm cancelling, and they do it. Haven't had them tell me "no" in several years. Maybe his math wasn't very good, and he did not realize what you were asking for on a per-radio basis.

At some point last year, there was allegedly a way to do it online without even going through chat, but I could not find it, so I had to do chat.
Discounted rate before? No I'm a wimp negotiator on the phone. On my last renewal, the person on the other end chewed me up and spit me out.
This time, I was armed with this Boglehead discussion. I knew that others were paying under $80 per vehicle...(OTD) out the door. My plan was to keep repeating my $80 per vehicle request until the cows came home.
I would have cancelled if need be...well maybe not my wife's vehicle.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

hudson wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:38 am Discounted rate before? No I'm a wimp negotiator on the phone.
Well, at least you finally have the discounted rate. Next year, you can just tell them you want the same price as last time.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

SmileyFace wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:37 pm

I have spotify which creates 6 hour "Daily mixes" based upon my preferences. One push to open the app - one to download one or two daily mixes. Then when I get in my car I don't need to change between satellite changes when they start repeating songs - so the 2 pushes I did at home avoids changing stations in the car :)
Of course I also have thousands of albums and other playlists to choose from if I do want to create something specific for a long drive - but you don't need to do this.
Spotify is a separate service than the SiriusXM thread topic. Taking a phone with you, playing with an app, remembering to download something is a huge hassle compared to pressing a button and getting live news, no phone, no data, no downloading required.

When we're on the boat or on the road we just want things to work. Downloading whatever on spotify or some random application IN ADVANCE to someone's phone is useless for live news updates, talk, live sports, traffic reports, and most of the reasons we use Sirius in the first place.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

criticalmass wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:59 pm

Spotify is a separate service than the SiriusXM thread topic. Taking a phone with you, playing with an app, remembering to download something is a huge hassle compared to pressing a button and getting live news, no phone, no data, no downloading required.

When we're on the boat or on the road we just want things to work. Downloading whatever on spotify or some random application IN ADVANCE to someone's phone is useless for live news updates, talk, live sports, traffic reports, and most of the reasons we use Sirius in the first place.
Folks up thread were talking about using it for music - thus the crossover to streaming services. If you are looking for live sports and news and/or are one of the few folks without a smartphone and/or are technically challenged using an App - I agree there is some utility in satellite radio.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

SmileyFace wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:38 pm
criticalmass wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:59 pm

Folks up thread were talking about using it for music - thus the crossover to streaming services. If you are looking for live sports and news and/or are one of the few folks without a smartphone and/or are technically challenged using an App - I agree there is some utility in satellite radio.
Maybe start a thread about how to save money and listen to your favorite smart telephone application?
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

SmileyFace wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:38 pm Folks up thread were talking about using it for music - thus the crossover to streaming services. If you are looking for live sports and news and/or are one of the few folks without a smartphone and/or are technically challenged using an App - I agree there is some utility in satellite radio.
For me, and many others I suspect, who like SiriusXM, if we can get SiriusXM for $6 a month, it's worth paying for it and not dealing with streaming apps. At $12+ per month or more, it would be a different story.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

criticalmass wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:29 pm
Maybe start a thread about how to save money and listen to your favorite smart telephone application?
The title of the thread is "don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio". One way of doing so is to use a cheaper and more modern alternative - thus on topic - thus all the responses from folks.

Its ironic some are arguing its too much trouble to load and click on an App - and yet some of those some folks are willing to take the time to make phone calls and jump through hoops to get a fair price for SiriusXM (which I consider too much hassle).
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

SmileyFace wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:11 am
The title of the thread is "don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio". One way of doing so is to use a cheaper and more modern alternative - thus on topic - thus all the responses from folks.

Its ironic some are arguing its too much trouble to load and click on an App - and yet some of those some folks are willing to take the time to make phone calls and jump through hoops to get a fair price for SiriusXM (which I consider too much hassle).
Are the “modern” telephone apps going to provide traffic, news, sports, talk, and work on our airplane and boat too where we can’t connect a telephone easily, or don’t care to? If folks are gung ho about a telephone application, SiriusXm already has a modern one.
Of course not using SiriusXm is cheaper than using SiriusXm. :oops: Yes, we understand that SiriusXm is not the only method to listen to music or people talking.
If I post a discount for purchasing a Lexus RX350 for daily commuting, perhaps someone not interested can inform me that I can purchase a Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 instead and save money and the time calling or negotiating a vehicle. :sharebeer
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

criticalmass wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:48 am

Are the “modern” telephone apps going to provide traffic, news, sports, talk, and work on our airplane and boat too where we can’t connect a telephone easily, or don’t care to? If folks are gung ho about a telephone application, SiriusXm already has a modern one.
Of course not using SiriusXm is cheaper than using SiriusXm. :oops: Yes, we understand that SiriusXm is not the only method to listen to music or people talking.
If I post a discount for purchasing a Lexus RX350 for daily commuting, perhaps someone not interested can inform me that I can purchase a Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 instead and save money and the time calling or negotiating a vehicle. :sharebeer
The answer to your question is yes - they actually already do.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Somehow, I just found this thread. Been a subscriber since 2005. I have one lifetime sub, along with 2 we pay for. Good info here. Thanks! I'll start contributing when I can.
hudson

I'm interested in other options to replace SiriusXM

Post by hudson »

criticalmass wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:29 pm Maybe start a thread about how to save money and listen to your favorite smart telephone application?
I would read it here or in a new discussion. I'm interested. A new discussion would probably be optimal.
What app? What's the cost?

XM radio just works...
My iPhone doesn't reliably sync with my vehicle's system (2013 Tundra/2018 4Runner). If my wife gets to the vehicle first, her iPhone takes over.
Sometimes the iPhone does perfectly; sometimes not. Since it's not 100%, I fixed my iPhone so that it never goes to the vehicle's system. I don't want to tinker with it. If I felt like it; I could solve those issues, so far, I haven't been in the mood.

The XM radio just works. It's only painful once a year; now with the chat option, the aggravation isn't that bad. Also XM dropped to an OK price: OTD $6.48 a month/$77.74 a year. I only had to humbly request my max $80 bottom line twice before I got the $78 offer.

I run the Google Maps app OK; I just use the iPhone's speaker. That works very well if I'm wearing my hearing aids; but I rarely take the time.
I could probably run a music app through the vehicle's sound system, but it would be a pain. I don't want to stop the vehicle to tinker with the settings.

Bottom Line: I'm interested in an iPhone music app that can replace XM. It looks like many have already made the switch.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

SmileyFace wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:08 am
criticalmass wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:48 am

The answer to your question is yes - they actually already do.
Great! Which app actually already provides current news and.weather across the Mojave preserve California) and central Nevada? Just drove through last month, and by the way there's no mobile telephone service. When we sail from Marblehead, Mass to Merritt Island in spring/fall 100 miles offshore, same situation and Sirius works every single time. I know I can load a podcast or song or whatever in advance, but that doesn't have the utility of working radio. Yes I know I can save $5 or $6-month (because I don't pay full price, see the thread above ;)) by reading the clouds instead for a weather report...
Spotify and friends don't cut it, but we already knew it exists....thanks.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

criticalmass wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:44 am
Great! Which app actually already provides current news and.weather across the Mojave preserve California) and central Nevada? Just drove through last month, and by the way there's no mobile telephone service. When we sail from Marblehead, Mass to Merritt Island in spring/fall 100 miles offshore, same situation and Sirius works every single time. I know I can load a podcast or song or whatever in advance, but that doesn't have the utility of working radio. Yes I know I can save $5 or $6-month (because I don't pay full price, see the thread above ;)) by reading the clouds instead for a weather report...
It doesn't even have to be the Mojave. There are plenty of rural places off the interstate all over the country that are problematic for cell reception.

I think the thing that keeps me coming back is the diversity of programming, and the fact I don't have to think about it. Just flip the channel.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I just want to push a button and have music or news play. For some reason, I also like being surprised what plays next in terms of music, XM fits that very good.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Tubes wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:58 am
criticalmass wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:44 am
It doesn't even have to be the Mojave. There are plenty of rural places off the interstate all over the country that are problematic for cell reception.

I think the thing that keeps me coming back is the diversity of programming, and the fact I don't have to think about it. Just flip the channel.
The desert and open waters work great for satellite - unfortunately driving thru the mountains, thru tunnels, and thru cities not so much - I had always experienced annoying drops in reception - the original reason I stopped satellite renewals across all our vehicles. Now I can have continuous listening regardless of signal strengths of any type.
Speaking of news - most stations I found on Satellite were actually commercial stations with commercials and only having headline coverage (NPR somewhat an exception) - maybe that's changed. I have grown to enjoy many of the great news podcasts put out by the WSJ, NYT, NPR, and other top news sources - they have nice depth and coverage of current topics - and available from numerous Apps free of charge.
I have no skin in the game here on what folks do - just stating everyone should look at alternatives - you might - like me - find better content and service if you do so. (Similar to folks that are still subscribing to cable TV services).
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

$60/yr + Free Amazon Echo Dot/Google Nest

This is the one and only deal I will take from them. Stand your ground, ask for it, and this is what you'll get. I've done this 3 times and sold the Dot/Nest each time for around $40 landing a net $20/yr cost.
afan

Post by afan »

I do audiobooks, no worries about reception because I download them. Or I listen to the news. Both are free.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

UnLearnYourself wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:07 pm $60/yr + Free Amazon Echo Dot/Google Nest

This is the one and only deal I will take from them. Stand your ground, ask for it, and this is what you'll get. I've done this 3 times and sold the Dot/Nest each time for around $40 landing a net $20/yr cost.
Even when renewing? That's impressive. Too late for me now since I just renewed.
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

MisterBill wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:23 pm
UnLearnYourself wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:07 pm $60/yr + Free Amazon Echo Dot/Google Nest

Even when renewing? That's impressive. Too late for me now since I just renewed.
Well I've had to play a little game of chicken with them. Basically I call to cancel - then they drip their offers at me, which I keep declining until they sweeten it. My first time around I flat out cancelled, then waited ~ 4 weeks for them to come begging with their best offer ($60/yr + device). The last two times I cut right to the chase and told them the ONLY way you are getting me to sign up is to offer me this deal, otherwise I will cancel and not return, period. Both times they got approval to offer me the deal.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

I've been doing this since 2006. Never once paid more than about $60/year per car for XM/Sirius (w/ Howard Stern).
ThreeDB

Post by ThreeDB »

Like others who’ve contributed to this discussion thread in the last few weeks, my SirusXM subscription renews in the late July / early August time frame.

One month before my renewal date, SiriusXM sent me a postcard in the U.S. Mail to remind me that my subscription would be renewing at a rate of $240/yr. One week before my renewal date, I logged in to my account on the SirisusXM website and chose the option to close my account. As others suggested, I rejected the automatic counteroffer of ~$156/yr. and chose to speak to a representative via online chat.

When the chat representative (or was it a bot?) asked me what they could do for me, I asked, “Can you renew me for the same $72/yr. price that I paid last year.” They replied with some filler text about how they were checking my account, but very quickly came back and said something like, “Yes, we can see you have been a longtime customer. We will renew for you another year at the promotional price.”

I was little bit surprised that I didn’t get any push back but not completely shocked because other members of this community have reported similar experiences. I accepted the $72/yr. offer and we quickly wrapped up the transaction after reviewing terms and conditions and verifying the credit card info that they had on file.

Before 2020 I naively paid full price. Reading this discussion thread has save me over $300 in the last two years. Thank you Bogleheads!
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

ThreeDB wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:59 am I was little bit surprised that I didn’t get any push back but not completely shocked because other members of this community have reported similar experiences. I accepted the $72/yr. offer and we quickly wrapped up the transaction after reviewing terms and conditions and verifying the credit card info that they had on file.

Before 2020 I naively paid full price. Reading this discussion thread has save me over $300 in the last two years. Thank you Bogleheads!
Yeah, they've gotten much better about just giving you the discounted price and not claiming that it isn't available as they used to. Also nice that you can do it via chat instead of having to call.

The only pushback I've seen is from the person in this thread who asked for a price for all three radios, but I think that he confused them by not just asking for the $60+fees pricing.

Glad you've been able to save so much money!
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

CardinalRule wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:57 pm I received an email this week stating that MLB baseball is moving away from Select. I actually didn’t know it was there (I do listen in our other, All Access vehicle.
I've discovered this recently and am disappointed because the sound quality is better than the AM reception. Plus it kept track of the score for me and my new car alerted me when the game was on. Has anyone managed to get this back for the $60 price, or should I have insisted on having it when I renewed a couple of weeks ago?
lf4tune

Post by lf4tune »

Had to cancel or fight to keep my subscription today. It was the most PAINLESS call I have had with SiriusXM since getting my first subscription.
1st, I was going to try using Chat feature, but last night I went on and they claimed to be having system maintenance and Chat was closed as well.
Dang... I was sure they'd hit my card before I could call this AM. I was lucky in that I had a credit from my last car not having SXM and I didn't have a radio to transfer it to except my wife's and they told me it would apply when my "promotion" ran out. (Background - Promo was Platinum for a year at $99.) I don't really need more than Select, but tried it, and figured now I'll cut back to Select unless I can apply the credit and only pay $60ish out of pocket.

Well I got a woman name Goawys - yes like go away and she caved immediately and offered me the deal I expected to end up with when I said I can not afford $22/month by saying, "oh, let me find you the best offer I can." She did by offering my current promo and I took it. 5 minute phone call, maybe.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

I just noticed that Sirius has a new promo online (well, an old promo that has been started again) for a free upgrade to the Platinum package from the cheaper, All Access/Select plan. Approximately 6.00 with taxes included for the entire offering of channels, including H Stern. The $15 activation fee is also waived.
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
hitchman

Post by hitchman »

If you have an AmEx Platinum, the new benefits include a monthly credit for SiriusXM subscription fees (NYTimes and Peacock, as well). I know many would shun AmEx, but mine pays for itself many times over each year.

Hitchman
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

I did my annual song & dance last month, a few days before my subscription was scheduled to renew at 22 or 24 bucks a month (can't recall how much it was now)... Did it via chat and it was easy. I didn't drive a hard bargain -- I accepted their first offer of $10 a month. There's a show on SXM channel 124 that I really like; I'm not willing to pay $24 a month to support it, but I can go along with $10 a month.
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

catdude wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:02 pm I did my annual song & dance last month, a few days before my subscription was scheduled to renew at 22 or 24 bucks a month (can't recall how much it was now)... Did it via chat and it was easy. I didn't drive a hard bargain -- I accepted their first offer of $10 a month. There's a show on SXM channel 124 that I really like; I'm not willing to pay $24 a month to support it, but I can go along with $10 a month.
Sounds like you got a pretty decent deal. Channel 124 looks to be a part of the All Access (4.99 plus tax, approx 6.00) plan. The current promo will upgrade All Access to Platinum for free. The new promo would give you 25 more stations (along with Pandora) for slightly less money, but it might not be worth the hassle to get them to upgrade your account especially if you aren't interested in the extras.
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Invest4lt wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:22 pm
catdude wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:02 pm I did my annual song & dance last month, a few days before my subscription was scheduled to renew at 22 or 24 bucks a month (can't recall how much it was now)... Did it via chat and it was easy. I didn't drive a hard bargain -- I accepted their first offer of $10 a month. There's a show on SXM channel 124 that I really like; I'm not willing to pay $24 a month to support it, but I can go along with $10 a month.
Sounds like you got a pretty decent deal. Channel 124 looks to be a part of the All Access (4.99 plus tax, approx 6.00) plan. The current promo will upgrade All Access to Platinum for free. The new promo would give you 25 more stations (along with Pandora) for slightly less money, but it might not be worth the hassle to get them to upgrade your account especially if you aren't interested in the extras.
Thanks for the tip. I checked the SXM website, and you're right, those extras don't interest me all that much. Not a Howard Stern fan! I think I'll pass on the upgrade...
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
Tucker50

Post by Tucker50 »

I use Amazon's echo auto. You can easily skip songs you don't like. When I ride with a friend, she constantly switches siriusxm channels when she doesn't like a song. I think you must be limited in skips or something. With amazon music, I listen to podcasts, music playlists, my own playlists or can request specific musicians. I can replay a song as often as I want and can ask Alexa to suggest a podcast or ask a question about anything. It seems to have a whole lot more flexibility sirius but I haven't had sirius. I get free Amazon music with my Amazon membership. I don't pay extra for premium music. I have an unlimited data plan (not that it uses much), so I'm only in for the cost of echo auto.