Costco rotisserie chicken

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Pete12

Re: Costco rotisserie chicken

Post by Pete12 »

Pajamas wrote:Trader Joe's carries those and I wouldn't be surprised if they were from the same supplier. They will probably cost more than they do at Aldi.
I will go and take a look- thanks!
dickyboy

Post by dickyboy »

barnaclebob wrote:Personally I think its insane to buy chickens raised in conditions where a $5 chicken can be profitable (yes I know it might be a loss leader).
Don't knock it....makes up for other times when you get ripped off.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

dickyboy wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:Personally I think its insane to buy chickens raised in conditions where a $5 chicken can be profitable (yes I know it might be a loss leader).
Don't knock it....makes up for other times when you get ripped off.
Its not a deal if its unhealthy or immoral by my standards. And no I can't make sure every piece of food that goes in my mouth is humanely raised but I can try a little at least.
obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

This thread is one of the earliest I remember from when I joined. Here is an opinion piece by Nicholas Kristoff of The New York Times on Costco rotisserie chickens.
"I'm investing in stocks... chicken, beef, and vegetable. It's risky, but I know one day it'll pay off & I'll be a bouillonaire. Who knows, I might even open up a Broth IRA."
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

barnaclebob wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:51 pm Also the price of a chicken isn't necessarily connected to how well its treated or what is used to feed it.
or...profitability. They aren't selling at $5 to make a profit (though covering some cost), they lure you into the deepest area of the warehouse to get you to buy other items.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

obafgkm wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:09 pm This thread is one of the earliest I remember from when I joined. Here is an opinion piece by Nicholas Kristoff of The New York Times on Costco rotisserie chickens.
Just wait until the NYT does an article on the $1.50 hot dog and Pepsi!

Inquiring minds want to know......
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Our Fry's Food - used to have really good rotisserie chicken - now I can't stand it - too pumped full of garbage. Has a rubber greasy texture.
Average Investor

Post by Average Investor »

I buy Costco chicken whenever I shop there. A little tired of eating it these days but it makes great stock for homemade soup. Having some right now!
Tomorrow never knows.
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

If you are bored with the Costco chicken perhaps the story of Blinky will inspire you!

"Vallance is most renowned for the creation of Blinky the Friendly Hen, which began from his childhood interest in visiting pet cemeteries which led him to question why some animals are loved as pets with names, while others are eaten as meat with no thought of the unnamed dead animal. To explore this question further he bought a frozen Foster Farms chicken from Ralphs and took it to a meeting with pet cemetery staff to inquire about a funeral. The only question was the cause of death. This early prank developed into an art performance in 1978 when Blinky was bestowed with funerary rites then laid to rest in a small satin-lined coffin and interred at the Los Angeles Pet Memorial Park with a granite headstone. Blinky became a legend which led to Vallance’s appearance on NBC’s Late Night with David Letterman in 1983 discussing Blinky’s burial."

https://www.riotmaterial.com/jeffrey-va ... nd-blinky/
Annabel Lee

Post by Annabel Lee »

Incredibly cheap loss leader food product of highly questionable origin and supply chain pumped full of stuff that isn’t good for you!

Alternate headline: American poultry industry full of Machiavellian villains who don’t care for the welfare of the birds they raise, much less their consumers.

Alternate alternate headline: Nah, this couldn’t have anything to do with ever-increasing instances of American cancer, could it?

Film at 11.

Focus: this isn’t really news to anyone, is it????
Point

Post by Point »

Cut it up and freeze it. It goes in curry, omelettes, burritos, hot chicken sandwiches, and is even a great substitute for a quick all the fixins “turkey” dinner
Tejfyy

Post by Tejfyy »

Annabel Lee wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:18 pm Incredibly cheap loss leader food product of highly questionable origin and supply chain pumped full of stuff that isn’t good for you!

Alternate headline: American poultry industry full of Machiavellian villains who don’t care for the welfare of the birds they raise, much less their consumers.

Alternate alternate headline: Nah, this couldn’t have anything to do with ever-increasing instances of American cancer, could it?

Film at 11.

The majority of Americans don't care it appears and don't make the connections. The Brits almost started import American chicken, but people spoke out and they decided not to.

The government has finally vowed not to allow chlorinated chicken or hormone-fed beef on British supermarket shelves, defying demands from the US that animal welfare standards be lowered as part of a future trade deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ers-brexit
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

My family does not care for the Costco chicken. I kind of agree. It is cheap but I find it rubbery, greasy and just not that good. The street tacos however are very good.
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

Teague wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:30 pm To break the monotony I'm training one I picked up today. "Sit" and "stay" are coming along very nicely.
Lol. This quote made my day. Thank you, good sir/ma'am. :D
csan

Post by csan »

NJdad6 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:54 am My family does not care for the Costco chicken. I kind of agree. It is cheap but I find it rubbery, greasy and just not that good. The street tacos however are very good.
The ones that come cold?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Don't actually get the Costco chicken, but I have a question about the alleged low cost. It's frequently suggested that it is cheaper to buy prepared rotisserie chickens than to cook chicken yourself. But the size of a rotisserie chicken is small. There isn't really an awful lot of meat on it. Let's see if the Internet can help:

Source
An average weight for a rotisserie chicken is about 2 pounds (32 ounces). You will get the following amount of cut-up meat from a 2-pound chicken: Whole Chicken = 3 Cups
So, a 2-lb chicken yields 3 cups of meat.

Source
1 cup of cubed or shredded chicken is about 5 ¼ ounces of cooked, deboned chicken.
So, 1.0 pound of chicken yields 16/5.25 = 3 cups of meat.

Source
Housetohomestead.com calculated that 62 percent of the average whole chicken is meat.
InstaCart, which generally shows highish prices, is showing me $1.89/pound for store-brand whole chicken, $5.79/pound for Bell & Evans (organic, luxury brand, claimed humane treatment).

Cooked rotisserie chicken, $5 for 3 cups of meat
Home-cooked store brand, $1.89 for 3 cups of meat
Luxury-brand organic, $5.79 for 3 cups of meat

I conclude that store rotisserie chicken at $5/chicken is not cheaper than home-cooked. It's about the same price as the most expensive whole chicken you can find in a supermarket, but much more expensive than your ordinary store brand.

P.S. Anyone know what the legitimate price-in-a-store of a Sweet Sue whole canned chicken is? It's not carried in our area. Amazon wants $17.98 for one but I don't think they cost that much in stores.
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:59 am InstaCart, which generally shows highish prices, is showing me $1.89/pound for store-brand whole chicken, $5.79/pound for Bell & Evans (organic, luxury brand, claimed humane treatment).

Cooked rotisserie chicken, $5 for 3 cups of meat
Home-cooked store brand, $1.89 for 3 cups of meat
Luxury-brand organic, $5.79 for 3 cups of meat

I conclude that store rotisserie chicken is not cheaper than home-cooked. It's about the same price as the most expensive whole chicken you can find in a supermarket, but much more expensive than your ordinary store brand.
That's very high, at least around here. We buy a lot of whole chickens, I don't recall them ever being more than $1.29/lb. and generally cheaper (as low as .$69/lb). I can't comment on anything else as I'm not sure I've ever eaten a Costco rotisserie.
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

csan wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:59 am
NJdad6 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:54 am My family does not care for the Costco chicken. I kind of agree. It is cheap but I find it rubbery, greasy and just not that good. The street tacos however are very good.
The ones that come cold?
Yes in a tray. Heat up the chicken and warm the tortillas. I add some chipotle hot sauce. Good, quick weekday dinner. About $14 and will feed 2-4 depending on appetite. Just had them last night.
unstartable

Post by unstartable »

badger42 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:22 am Ignoring the chicken's quality of life, I must be one of the few bogleheads who really doesn't like the Costco chickens.

For lack of a better description, they taste way to hot-doggy - salty / preserved / etc. I'd much rather buy a fresh chicken (Costco is great for this!) and roast it - while it takes a bit, it's basically hands off (preheat oven, season bird, let it roast until it's done).
Agree. They're not cooked, but a 2 pack of chickens is about $10, and I can make it taste way better. It's not even a hard meal to cook.
sport

Post by sport »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:59 am An average weight for a rotisserie chicken is about 2 pounds (32 ounces). You will get the following amount of cut-up meat from a 2-pound chicken: Whole Chicken = 3 Cups
I believe the minimum weight for a Costco rotisserie chicken is 3 lbs. We have also found that when we buy one, we can be careful about which one we pick up and we can choose one that is heavier than some of the others. We can tell the weight by lifting them.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Tejfyy wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:39 pm
Annabel Lee wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:18 pm Incredibly cheap loss leader food product of highly questionable origin and supply chain pumped full of stuff that isn’t good for you!

Film at 11.

The majority of Americans don't care it appears and don't make the connections. The Brits almost started import American chicken, but people spoke out and they decided not to.

The government has finally vowed not to allow chlorinated chicken or hormone-fed beef on British supermarket shelves, defying demands from the US that animal welfare standards be lowered as part of a future trade deal.

100% agree. You both have a friend in me. My values and ethics are worth more than a cheap chicken.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

unstartable wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:20 pm
badger42 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:22 am Ignoring the chicken's quality of life, I must be one of the few bogleheads who really doesn't like the Costco chickens.

For lack of a better description, they taste way to hot-doggy - salty / preserved / etc. I'd much rather buy a fresh chicken (Costco is great for this!) and roast it - while it takes a bit, it's basically hands off (preheat oven, season bird, let it roast until it's done).
Agree. They're not cooked, but a 2 pack of chickens is about $10, and I can make it taste way better. It's not even a hard meal to cook.
Although we regularly eat the Costco rotisserie chickens, we also do enjoy making beer can chicken on the grill in the summer. We use the two pack fryer chickens from Costco for this. I'll make one to eat that day and one to save for later in the week.
bubbly

Post by bubbly »

The only issue for the rotisserie chicken is the high salt content. The whole bird is roughly double your recommended daily intake for sodium. I wish they had a low sodium option, to open up the market for people that are monitoring their blood pressure.
KneeReplacementTutor

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

Pete12 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:15 pm Let's face it- if you don't pick up a $5 rotisserie Chicken each time you visit Costco then you're insane!
+1 Dollar cost averaging is a sane deployment strategy when it comes to purchasing Costco rotisserie chicken.
Last edited by KneeReplacementTutor on Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Marseille07 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:15 pm
barnaclebob wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:51 pm Also the price of a chicken isn't necessarily connected to how well its treated or what is used to feed it.
or...profitability. They aren't selling at $5 to make a profit (though covering some cost), they lure you into the deepest area of the warehouse to get you to buy other items.
As one half of a married couple who’s amassed a pretty sizable nest egg solely from smart retailing, let me tell you that alone is one good reason not to eat a $5 chicken.

The vast majority of great deals aren’t, in fact. My wife and I have two commas to prove it.
Being wrong compounds forever.
hershey102d

Post by hershey102d »

Debone two chickens, make broth out of the carcass, cook rice in broth and add peas and carrots. Mix chicken into the rice. Makes enough dog food for four days.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

Picasso wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:28 pm

Film at 11.

100% agree. You both have a friend in me. My values and ethics are worth more than a cheap chicken.
US poultry and eggs are much safer than in Europe.

The EU has much higher salmonella and listeriosis infection rates than the US. This is due to the EU's lax rules in regard to the production and handling of poultry and eggs.
We plan. G-d laughs.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

hershey102d wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:59 pm Debone two chickens, make broth out of the carcass, cook rice in broth and add peas and carrots. Mix chicken into the rice. Makes enough dog food for four days.
Oh, I was starting to get hungry!

Sounds like your pooch eats well.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I don't go to costco as that would involve driving four miles which would violate my code of ethics, but our local grocery store, Lunds and byerlys, has $6 rotisserie chickens on Fridays.

I try to pickup my six buck cluck every Friday and usually just serve with a salad and veggies (microwaved in a bag). Sometimes I'll have canned gravy as well.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
UsualLine

Post by UsualLine »

We eat the legs, thighs, and wings for dinners. That is four dinners for us. One breast for Chicken Salad, one breast for chicken noodle soup. Save all bones and carcass to make the soup broth. It is amazing how far that one chicken goes!
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

elTocino wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:31 am Enchiladas. A whole pan.
Along these lines, my wife's got a family recipe they call King Ranch chicken. Basically a casserole made of shredded chicken, cream of mushroom soup, cheese, and tortillas layered into a casserole dish. Pretty tasty!

Add veggies or mix up the soup/sauce as you like.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post and reply discussing the health benefits of salt (medical advice). As a reminder, see: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JonFund

Post by JonFund »

Film at 11.

"Questionable origin?" Actually Costco owns their own chicken processing plant in Fremont, Nebraska. The facility is fully supported by local farmers, including the grain that is grown locally. The plant is operated by a Costco affiliate, Lincoln Poultry, but Costco retains full control from a management, operational, and quality assurance perspective.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

JonFund wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:16 pm

Film at 11.

"Questionable origin?" Actually Costco owns their own chicken processing plant in Fremont, Nebraska. The facility is fully supported by local farmers, including the grain that is grown locally. The plant is operated by a Costco affiliate, Lincoln Poultry, but Costco retains full control from a management, operational, and quality assurance perspective.
Its certainly better than any other similar offering at that price point.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

JonFund wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:16 pm "Questionable origin?" Actually Costco owns their own chicken processing plant in Fremont, Nebraska. The facility is fully supported by local farmers, including the grain that is grown locally. The plant is operated by a Costco affiliate, Lincoln Poultry, but Costco retains full control from a management, operational, and quality assurance perspective.
Fremont, NE is also home to a major Hormel meat packing plant. In the past, it was one of the two plants in the US that made that American delicacy, Spam.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Tejfyy

Post by Tejfyy »

:sharebeer
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

My bi-weekly trips to Costco came to a grinding halt in March of 2020.

I braved senior hours once before Christmas, and once last week. I hadn't tasted Costco chicken in over a year.

It was good!
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

It's good, not sure why some people think otherwise. I don't buy'em often but once in a while.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:41 pm
As one half of a married couple who’s amassed a pretty sizable nest egg solely from smart retailing, let me tell you that alone is one good reason not to eat a $5 chicken.

The vast majority of great deals aren’t, in fact. My wife and I have two commas to prove it.
I'm pretty sure there are some folks on this forum who eat Costco rotisserie chickens, are disciplined in their finances, and have two commas. It can be done.
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

elTocino wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:31 am Enchiladas. A whole pan.
Yes, this!
Wanderingwheelz

LilyFleur wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 am

I'm pretty sure there are some folks on this forum who eat Costco rotisserie chickens, are disciplined in their finances, and have two commas. It can be done.
And that’s what they say makes a market.

Also, Costco is FULL of people who have literally no idea how to take care of themselves, financially or otherwise. Neither I, or the commenter I was replying to was referring to folks that are disciplined in their finances and and have 2 commas.

Costco is no different than any other retailer. They’re objective is to separate you from as much of your hard earned cash as they possibly can, and the $5 chicken is just one tool in their toolbox. The less time you spend in Costco the better, and of course Costco knows that which is why they put a $5 ready-to-eat rotisserie chicken in the far corner of the store. You might be surprised how many Costco addicts buy a $479 tool chest or a $698 necklace because of the $5 chicken “they‘re just swinging by to pick up for dinner”. Retailers know retail.
egrets

Post by egrets »

Film at 11.

+1
ADAMNOGGI

Post by ADAMNOGGI »

coachz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:39 am I always thought they lived a full life whatever the life span of a chicken is.
I admire your reasoning but did you have input from the chicken element?
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:54 am

Also, Costco is FULL of people who have literally no idea how to take care of themselves, financially or otherwise. Neither I, or the commenter I was replying to was referring to folks that are disciplined in their finances and and have 2 commas.

Costco is no different than any other retailer. They’re objective is to separate you from as much of your hard earned cash as they possibly can, and the $5 chicken is just one tool in their toolbox. The less time you spend in Costco the better, and of course Costco knows that which is why they put a $5 ready-to-eat rotisserie chicken in the far corner of the store. You might be surprised how many Costco addicts buy a $479 tool chest or a $698 necklace because of the $5 chicken “they‘re just swinging by to pick up for dinner”. Retailers know retail.
Not sure the consumption of Costco chickens has a direct correlation to the amount of commas in a portfolio. Also, at one time Costco customers had the highest income level of all major retailers.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

I would rather receive a costco chicken than a $5 hallmark card for my birthday.
talacker

Post by talacker »

SmartER retailing would be buying the loss leader items, while having the discipline to ignore the higher profit noise.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

I have to admit total obliviousness to the idea of a Costco rotisserie chicken. I got a membership last year to buy toilet paper (yeah, that was me) and have been returning 1-2 times a month since. I have never even seen that they stock these chickens. Where do they hide them?

I on the other hand have bought many of these beasts at our local Shoprite hot over the years. A quick no fuss meal when we need one.
Wanderingwheelz

talacker wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:55 pm

SmartER retailing would be buying the loss leader items, while having the discipline to ignore the higher profit noise.
That would be smart consuming. Smart retailing is doing the opposite. It’s a cat and mouse game. Always has been and always has been.

My wife buys the same cheap earrings that the “junk” stores sell for $5 and she removes them from the cheap packaging and has high-end cards made with her store logo printed on them for maybe 20 cents each and people buy the same earrings all day long for $18, because her store sells $500 sweaters and $100 t-shirts.

Even smart people don’t know the difference between a $5 pair of earring and an $18 earrings. It’s the packaging, that’s it.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

I saw a few mention making a broth from the rotisserie chicken carcass:

Just want to add what we've been doing lately -> save peelings and cut parts from vegetables (carrots, celery, bell peppers, onions, green beans trimmings etc) in the freezer until we have a costco chicken so we can make the broth without "wasting" good vegetables. Works great, and the salt content in the Rotisserie chicken itself is enough to flavor the broth without adding salt (we just add a couple bay leaves as the only ingredient purposely purchased for making the broth).
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:54 am

I'm not surprised at all. I belong to a Costco group on Facebook. You would not believe the totals on the receipts they leave Costco with!
All shopping enables spending, without discipline. I absolutely agree that the less time we spend shopping, the better, whatever the venue. I know of people who sit at home buying far too much on Amazon.
Congratulations on your frugality and your two commas!