Costco rotisserie chicken

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Costco rotisserie chicken

Post by nisiprius »

me wrote:So she went into the garden to cut a cabbage leaf... till the gunpowder ran out at the heels of their boots.
Teague wrote:^^^ Mr. Macklin? Is that you?
+100 :beer

Obviously not obscure enough... maybe I should have said something about limerick oysters and corpulent porpoises.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Teague wrote:
workingovertime wrote:
I feel like they don't "chew" like real chicken. It tastes as if it lacks "density" and too soft to be actual meat.
Agreed, and there is a reason for that. They both contain sodium phosphates (when I checked the labels) which does a few things, including altering the structure of the protein and helping with moisture retention. Lots of meats are treated with this.
It is called brining and many restaurants and home cooks do it to maintain moisture in chicken, turkey and pork. Your standard Butterball Turkey is brined. If you overdo it, the structure can change too much. I don't find Costco's chickens to be that different than when I make a chicken myself.
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

I don't mean to be snooty, but I would NEVER buy a pre-cooked chicken. I see them in their warm little plastic capsules and wonder what the bacteria count might be.

Plus, I like to experiment. Here's my latest try, which is really good (though I de-greased the pan drippings): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BLXYuc4YB0
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

blueblock wrote:Plus, I like to experiment. Here's my latest try, which is really good (though I de-greased the pan drippings): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BLXYuc4YB0
Sorry Gordon, that chicken was hardly browned and the skin was still flabby... if I saw a rotisserie chicken like that at Costco I would look for another one :happy
coachz

Post by coachz »

blueblock wrote:I don't mean to be snooty, but I would NEVER buy a pre-cooked chicken. I see them in their warm little plastic capsules and wonder what the bacteria count might be.

Plus, I like to experiment. Here's my latest try, which is really good (though I de-greased the pan drippings): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BLXYuc4YB0
Bacteria keeps us from heaven and puts us there.
Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 »

JoinToday wrote:
Ron Ronnerson wrote:I dip it into super-hot BBQ sauce and have it with a side of mashed potatoes. It's tasty.
1. What kind of BBQ sauce do you use? I am always searching for better BBQ sauce
2. Plain mashed potatoes? or with gravy? Mashed potatoes & good gravy -- can't be beat. I am starting to salivate as I write this.

We buy the 2 pack of chickens from costco & cook on a charcoal BBQ. There is something about the precooked chicken we didn't care for, but it has been years since we bought them so I don't recall exactly what it was that we didn't like.

I am certain the raw chicken is more expensive than the cooked ones, and mine take way more time.
I sometimes grab a whole foods rotisserie chicken - a bit more espensive vs costco, but very tasty. I eat it for lunch at work... I have a big bowl of spinach, and bring a little tupperware with Annie's Asian Sesame (or similar) dressing on it. I heat the chicken in the microwave, along with some Austin's Own BBQ sauce. I like medium hot, all heat levels taste great. I dump the chicken and BBQ sauce on top of the spinach and dressing. Amazing, and it takes very little time to make.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

blueblock wrote:I don't mean to be snooty, but I would NEVER buy a pre-cooked chicken. I see them in their warm little plastic capsules and wonder what the bacteria count might be.

That's why everyone hovers around the chicken area when they get them on the table and are bubbling them up. Then the rush when they put them on the shelf. All part of your Costco experience .... they do put a time stamp on the bubble and pull the older ones for in-store use after a certain time period.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Chicken salad, of course.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

[Embedded animated GIF removed by admin LadyGeek. The direct link: http://67.media.tumblr.com/1dc4ef5fd3f8 ... o1_400.gif]
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

MrNewEngland wrote:[Embedded animated GIF removed by admin LadyGeek. The direct link: http://67.media.tumblr.com/1dc4ef5fd3f8 ... o1_400.gif]
That made my day. Thanks. :)
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

For anybody interested in the finance side of things:

Why Costco May Never Raise Prices on $4.99 Chickens, $1.50 Hot Dogs
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

MrNewEngland wrote:[Embedded animated GIF removed by admin LadyGeek. The direct link: http://67.media.tumblr.com/1dc4ef5fd3f8 ... o1_400.gif]
Another use right there... handy if your soccer ball gets a puncture...
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

There is actually a Costco Rotisserie Chicken facebook page! There are quite a few recipes and ideas there.

https://www.facebook.com/Costco-Rotisse ... 379400260/
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

bhsince87 wrote:There is actually a Costco Rotisserie Chicken facebook page! There are quite a few recipes and ideas there.

https://www.facebook.com/Costco-Rotisse ... 379400260/
Seems that there is quite a cult following out there... it's amazing how passionate people get about a $5 chicken.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Too many preservatives and salt.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

For readers looking for humane alternatives: http://certifiedhumane.org/
coachz

Post by coachz »

The ingredients in the rotisserie chicken are whole chicken, water, salt, sodium phosphate, modified food starch, sugar, carrageenan, soy lecithin, flavorings, and xanthan gum. They are also said to contain no preservatives, MSG’s, gluten, artificial flavors, or artificial colors. As for nutrition information, Costco rotisserie chickens also have 460mg of salt in a 3 oz. serving, so those needing to watch their sodium intake may want to take note. They are also high in cholesterol, but fairly low in sugar. The chickens are brined, which is what makes them so juicy and tender, but it is also the cause of the large amount of sodium per serving. Despite the fact that the chickens are rather sodium-heavy, they are an excellent protein source, and as long as you don’t eat the skin; they are a lower-fat meat option.

requires annoying click vote to access......
https://www.savingadvice.com/articles/2 ... althy.html
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Here is some information about the sodium content of brined foods. It seems that if you brine your own meat at home you are exposing yourself to less salt. However I would say we enjoy our Costco rotisserie chickens as part of a balanced lowish sodium diet, so for us it's worth the splurge...

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_to ... rined-food
Feb29

Post by Feb29 »

I dice the leftover pieces, then add to marinara sauce, then serve over ravioli.
The smaller pieces are used to make chicken salad sandwiches.
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

Rotisserie chicken at Costco is a $30M to $40M/year loss leader for them, and is one of the few retailers where it is actually cheaper to buy a cooked chicken than to buy raw and cook yourself.
“I can only tell you what history has shown us,” Richard Galanti, Costco’s chief financial officer, told a financial analyst who asked about the pricing in 2015, according to a report in the Seattle Times. “When others were raising their chicken prices from $4.99 to $5.99, we were willing to eat, if you will, $30 to $40 million a year in gross margin by keeping it at $4.99.”
https://priceonomics.com/are-rotisserie ... a-bargain/
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

jasc15 wrote:Rotisserie chicken at Costco is a $30M to $40M/year loss leader for them, and is one of the few retailers where it is actually cheaper to buy a cooked chicken than to buy raw and cook yourself.
“I can only tell you what history has shown us,” Richard Galanti, Costco’s chief financial officer, told a financial analyst who asked about the pricing in 2015, according to a report in the Seattle Times. “When others were raising their chicken prices from $4.99 to $5.99, we were willing to eat, if you will, $30 to $40 million a year in gross margin by keeping it at $4.99.”
if they are not making any money at the current prices, then why do they allow businesses to come in at store opening (as another poster mentioned) and buy up everything they put out. that makes no sense.
sport

Post by sport »

miles monroe wrote:
jasc15 wrote:Rotisserie chicken at Costco is a $30M to $40M/year loss leader for them, and is one of the few retailers where it is actually cheaper to buy a cooked chicken than to buy raw and cook yourself.
if they are not making any money at the current prices, then why do they allow businesses to come in at store opening (as another poster mentioned) and buy up everything they put out. that makes no sense.
They allow this for the same reason they sell them at that price to everyone else. Those business people make other purchases when they are in the store. Also, their business model (a successful one) does not limit quantities on regular priced items. After all, the name of the company is Costco Wholesale.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

We tend to buy a Costco chicken every other week. Most of the time we eat half of it for dinner with standard vegetable sides one night and then we use the other half of it for one of the following fairly standard recipes that we often make - 1) chicken ala king, 2) chicken stir fry, 3) chicken gumbo 4) chicken with pesto and cherry tomatoes on fusilli pasta, 5) chicken vegetable soup, 6) chicken salad sandwiches if feeling extra lazy.
PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac »

Chop it up and add it to a Chicken Tikka Masala jar sauce. Add some peas and fresh tomatoes, and serve over rice (cooked in my Instant Pot).

Or make Bombay Aloo (Indian-style potatoes with onions and tomatoes) and then just throw in chunks of chicken at the last step.
island

Post by island »

powermega wrote:The only better deal than the $5 chicken at Costco is the $1.50 hot dog and drink. Both are glorious!
I'll take the $1.65 berry sundae over the dog please. 8-)
island

Post by island »

I like chicken so never get bored with it... Or just about anything I don't have to cook myself. I put BBQ sauce on it if want to add some flavor. I change it up with different sides. Piece it up to add to salad, pasta, a taco, quesadilla, lettuce wraps, or make potpie, chicken salad, etc.

Is it only 5 bucks? I didn't realize that cheap; will have to check next time there.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

PaddyMac wrote:Chop it up and add it to a Chicken Tikka Masala jar sauce.
What an great idea, I never thought of that. I buy the Tikka Masala sauce when I am in Aldi, which is excellent, but usually make it with chicken I cook myself.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

Pete12 wrote:
What an great idea, I never thought of that. I buy the Tikka Masala sauce when I am in Aldi, which is excellent, but usually make it with chicken I cook myself.
chicken from costco served with a sauce from aldi. that should be the official meal of the bogelheads. :)
41Fin

Post by 41Fin »

when I was a meat eater, there wasn't a time I left Costco without getting a chicken. The $5 chicken was my version of Dave Ramsey's "Beans and rice"
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

miles monroe wrote:chicken from costco served with a sauce from aldi. that should be the official meal of the bogelheads. :)
Pair it with a $1.50 hot dog appetizer and you are good to go (includes the drink too...) Although after eating all that my stomach will be making strange noises...
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Kroger has a much better tasting rotisserie chicken IMHO.

kjv
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

JoinToday wrote:
Ron Ronnerson wrote:I dip it into super-hot BBQ sauce and have it with a side of mashed potatoes. It's tasty.
1. What kind of BBQ sauce do you use? I am always searching for better BBQ sauce
2. Plain mashed potatoes? or with gravy? Mashed potatoes & good gravy -- can't be beat. I am starting to salivate as I write this.

We buy the 2 pack of chickens from costco & cook on a charcoal BBQ. There is something about the precooked chicken we didn't care for, but it has been years since we bought them so I don't recall exactly what it was that we didn't like.

I am certain the raw chicken is more expensive than the cooked ones, and mine take way more time.
So here's a recipe for you. First, spatchcock (butterfly) the chicken. Rinse it thoroughly to remove any bits and pieces of lung, etc. Pat dry. Sprinkle both sides liberally with kosher salt and place it on a rack in a baking dish inside the fridge. Let it sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours to dry out the skin. Prepare the grill for indirect cooking and heat to 400F. While the fire is ramping up, take a head of garlic, cut off the top 20% and pour in some EVOO. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake in your regular oven for 30-40 minutes at 400F. Open and set aside to cool. Meanwhile in a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup EVOO, 1 tsp. rosemary, 1 tsp. thyme, 1 tsp. pepper and 1 tsp garlic powder. Simmer over low heat. Place the chicken on the grill and turn every 10 minutes. After 40 minutes, the chicken should be done. Remove the roasted garlic from the skins and mash thoroughly. Whisk into the olive oil/spice mixture. Whisk in an additional 1 tbs. of chopped fresh garlic. Baste the chicken with the EVOO spice mix and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove chicken from fire and let it rest for 10 minutes, carve and serve. I also add a couple of chunks of apple or cherry wood to the fire for smoke, really adds to the flavor.
nolapepper

Post by nolapepper »

For left overs, we make a broth by boiling the bones for hours (add some vinegar to dissolve calcium), the stir fry the chicken meat with pepper garlic and some veggies, eat with noodles and the broth
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Pete12 wrote:
Went shopping at Aldi yesterday and they have discontinued their Tikka Masala and Thai curry sauces... got to talking with the manager and he said he didn't think they were selling fast enough. Disappointed! :annoyed

Any other recommendations for store-bought curry sauces? We liked the Aldi one as it had good heat and lower sodium levels than other brands we've tried (e.g. Pataks)
Carson

Post by Carson »

miles monroe wrote: chicken from costco served with a sauce from aldi. that should be the official meal of the bogelheads. :)
An Aldi recently opened near our Costco in a NW Chicago suburb. Match made in heaven!

Pete12 wrote: Any other recommendations for store-bought curry sauces? We liked the Aldi one as it had good heat and lower sodium levels than other brands we've tried (e.g. Pataks)
A lot of my friends rave about the Trader Joes 'Simmer Sauces'. I know a lot of the same products are mfr for TJs and Aldi as they're owned by the same parent company. Also don't give up on Aldi entirely, the sauces might be back in a seasonal special some day.
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

velociraptor is chicken

Isn't it amazing that what we eat, at one time would eat us! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hahahahahahahaha :D :D :D

My work buddy raises chickens and he says they're voracious!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

He had a cut on his leg, they smelled the blood and went after him!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hahahahahahahaha :D :D :D

:sharebeer
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I find it very interesting that right next to the $4.99 chickens is a sign saying $6.99 for ribs.
But the ribs are $6.99 per pound, not each, making then about $22 a slab. Quite a price difference.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

For some reason we haven't sampled Costco's rotisserie chickens, but we have chowed down on a few from Sam's. Even received a free one, apparently they give away all the ones still on the spits when the stores close; or at least that's what they did the time we were checking out during closing.

From my observation, it seems Costco's chickens are a little bigger, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure any person who has watched late night TV has seen the ads for Ronco's rotisserie machine. Well, I have to tell you, that machine really does deliver a good product. One of my daughters has one, and has fixed a few for us.

Looks like Ronco is hawking three different models of rotisserie's, nowadays:

https://www.ronco.com/kitchen-appliances.html

Though, why do it yourself when it is just as cheap (or cheaper) to let Costco or Sam's do the cooking?

Our local grocery chain, Publix, prepares a good rotisserie chicken, also. The lemon-pepper and mojo flavored ones are my favorites.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

Broken Man 1999 wrote:....

Though, why do it yourself when it is just as cheap (or cheaper) to let Costco or Sam's do the cooking?

Broken Man 1999
I do it myself for two reasons:
1. We don't care for the taste of the Costco chicken
2. I BBQ the chicken and mine tastes a lot better than Costco chicken. Not close.

But I agree, Costco is much faster, easier, and cheaper. Much cheaper. But not as good.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

Experienced my first Costco rotisserie chicken this weekend. And my first PBR. Productive.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

JoinToday wrote:
1. What kind of BBQ sauce do you use? I am always searching for better BBQ sauce...
The best spicy BBQ sauce I've found is Stubbs "Spicy"...
Attempted new signature...
duckcalldan

Post by duckcalldan »

Pete12 wrote: A lot of my friends rave about the Trader Joes 'Simmer Sauces'. I know a lot of the same products are mfr for TJs and Aldi as they're owned by the same parent company.
Not quite. Aldi worldwide is actually 2 companies: Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd (North & South). They separated in the 1960s over a disagreement about tobacco sales. Aldi USA is a division of Aldi Süd. Trader Joe's is owned by a family trust connected with Aldi Nord, which is why you can find the TJ label at Aldi Nord stores in Germany.
denovo

Post by denovo »

miles monroe wrote:
Pete12 wrote:
chicken from costco served with a sauce from aldi. that should be the official meal of the bogelheads. :)
Disagree. Official meal would be going around the store 5-6 times to collect free samples. That means you get a free meal and some exercise for the day. [This is a joke]
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Well it seems this thread got the attention of the big shots at Vanguard!

http://vanguardblog.com/2016/10/31/than ... ogleheads/

I wonder how many Vanguard employees bring leftover Costco rotisserie chicken to work for lunch each day?
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Pete12 wrote:Well it seems this thread got the attention of the big shots at Vanguard!

http://vanguardblog.com/2016/10/31/than ... ogleheads/

I wonder how many Vanguard employees bring leftover Costco rotisserie chicken to work for lunch each day?
Pete12 - you're famous!! I think many Vanguard employees bring it to work for lunch and read your entire thread for ideas. In fact, at the Boglehead Conference, during the Q&A session at Vanguard, in response to the question "What has Vanguard learned from the Bogleheads?" - Maria Bruno admitted, with delight, that she read the entire thread :D
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! »

Broken Man 1999 wrote:For some reason we haven't sampled Costco's rotisserie chickens, but we have chowed down on a few from Sam's. Even received a free one, apparently they give away all the ones still on the spits when the stores close; or at least that's what they did the time we were checking out during closing.

From my observation, it seems Costco's chickens are a little bigger, but I could be wrong.
I actually noticed that Sam's Club rotisserie chickens are significantly bigger than Costco's. There could be local variation in this. In either place they're a good deal.
coulombre

Post by coulombre »

coachz wrote:I always thought they lived a full life whatever the life span of a chicken is.
Do you really want to eat a chicken that has died of old age???

:-)
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

coulombre wrote:
coachz wrote:I always thought they lived a full life whatever the life span of a chicken is.
Do you really want to eat a chicken that has died of old age???

:-)
Coq au vin can be delicious! I brine all of my white meat. My roasted and rotisserie chickens don't have that mushy texture that Costco has, and the skins on my chickens are worth fighting over. Having said that, I buy Costco chickens a few times a year when I just don't have time to cook but we don't want fast food. I usually make enchiladas with the leftovers, but I also make a nice stir fry. I sometimes do a "taco pie" type thing with tortilla, chicken, rice, cheese, tortilla, sauce, and more cheese. Or just sandwiches if I'm really lazy. Add some garlic to mayo and you are good to go.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Miriam2 wrote:Pete12 - you're famous!! I think many Vanguard employees bring it to work for lunch and read your entire thread for ideas. In fact, at the Boglehead Conference, during the Q&A session at Vanguard, in response to the question "What has Vanguard learned from the Bogleheads?" - Maria Bruno admitted, with delight, that she read the entire thread :D
Aw shucks... I'm humbled that this thread brought some new cheap and tasty meals to folks! Truly a great community where we can all learn from each other- whether it's the finer points of tax loss harvesting, or, what to have for dinner tonight...
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Pete12 wrote: Went shopping at Aldi yesterday and they have discontinued their Tikka Masala and Thai curry sauces... got to talking with the manager and he said he didn't think they were selling fast enough. Disappointed! :annoyed

Any other recommendations for store-bought curry sauces? We liked the Aldi one as it had good heat and lower sodium levels than other brands we've tried (e.g. Pataks)

Trader Joe's carries those and I wouldn't be surprised if they were from the same supplier. They will probably cost more than they do at Aldi.