Costco rotisserie chicken

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Belvoir57

Re: Costco rotisserie chicken

Post by Belvoir57 »

We have enjoyed the Costco rotisserie chicken for years when we lived elsewhere. Now that our closest Costco is about 20 minutes away, just south of Hartford, every time we have bought a chicken it was dry. Seems like overcooked. So we stopped buying them.

Based on this thread we ordered poultry shears which should come today. Next week we'll go find a whole chicken and spatchcock it. Look forward to trying this.

Thanks to everyone for posting!
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

We debone and shred the chicken before it cools and seal the pieces in Tupperware. Then we use it to supplement the kibble we feed the dog every meal. There is heck to pay around here when The roast chicken runs out. We don’t eat it ourselves - there were some horrible news stories about it.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc »

I love them and never miss the chance to buy one when I go to Costco.
As for the feedback regarging the healthful aspects, I have a story: Many years ago, I had a subscription to Consumer Reports. First, they did an expose on peanut butter so I stopped eating peanut butter. Later, they had an expose on frozen pizzas, so I stopped eating frozen pizzas. Then they had an expose on chickens.
What could I do? I canceled my subscription to Consumer Reports

Years later, I renewed my subscription, but decided to be more selective in the foods and additives that I avoid.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

To me, this is gross, fatty, just awful. If you ever see a chicken with a stretchy fat laden elastic cord because it's so dilapidated it cannot hold it's self together, run away.

40 years ago, chickens were a lot better, the skin was thinner and less fat.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

Before we moved to Nevada, Costco $5 chicken was an item that was hard to pass up...price wise, that is. Now we usually buy Mexican flame roasted chicken from El Pollo Loco, a fast food chain. Legs and thighs are the best cuts. Let your taste buds decide, not your wallet, for what goes into your mouth.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Belvoir57 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:02 am We have enjoyed the Costco rotisserie chicken for years when we lived elsewhere. Now that our closest Costco is about 20 minutes away, just south of Hartford, every time we have bought a chicken it was dry. Seems like overcooked. So we stopped buying them.

Based on this thread we ordered poultry shears which should come today. Next week we'll go find a whole chicken and spatchcock it. Look forward to trying this.

That is how we prepare them. Spatchcock, dry brine for 1.5-2 hours then I slap it on the grill. Depending on the size, 30-45 minutes total cook time. 10-15 minutes on direct heat then the balance on indirect. Foolproof.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

calwatch wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:38 am Safeway/Albertsons also regularly has coupons or $5 Fridays that bring the cost of their chicken to $5 or less. No need to go to Costco if you don’t want to.
And how much do they weigh compared to Costco's? Sometimes the Costco birds barely fit in the plastic container.
Second Round

Post by Second Round »

Feeling guilty about how much plastic is wasted and landfilled. Our local area no longer recycles anything but #1 and #2 plastic, and the bottom of that chicken tray is very hard to get clean anyway.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

jebmke wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:19 pm Spatchcock, dry brine for 1.5-2 hours then I slap it on the grill. Depending on the size, 30-45 minutes total cook time. 10-15 minutes on direct heat then the balance on indirect. Foolproof.
What do you use for your dry brine/dry rub? On the odd occasion I roast a chicken I use Badia poultry seasoning (southern style) which works very well.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Salt and sometimes a bit of lemon pepper.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belvoir57

Post by Belvoir57 »

jebmke wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:19 pm
Belvoir57 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:02 am We have enjoyed the Costco rotisserie chicken for years when we lived elsewhere. Now that our closest Costco is about 20 minutes away, just south of Hartford, every time we have bought a chicken it was dry. Seems like overcooked. So we stopped buying them.

That is how we prepare them. Spatchcock, dry brine for 1.5-2 hours then I slap it on the grill. Depending on the size, 30-45 minutes total cook time. 10-15 minutes on direct heat then the balance on indirect. Foolproof.
We did our first one on Wednesday. A Purdue young chicken, I think about 5 lbs. Dry brine with salt for 1 hour, then wipe off as best as we could. 12 minutes skin side down direct heat then about 25 minutes skin side up indirect. Meat was juicy and tasty. A few underdone areas near bone in the breast and near the hip joint. But overall a very satistfactory first try.

Do you flip the bird when cooking? I thought after this experience it would be worth trying leaving it bone side down, cooking 15 minutes direct then balance indirect....And my DW, who likes less salt than me, suggested some other dry rub without salt, since bird was more salty than she liked. Others said it was delicious....
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Last edited by mary1492 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

denovo wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:07 pm
miles monroe wrote:
Pete12 wrote:
PaddyMac wrote:Chop it up and add it to a Chicken Tikka Masala jar sauce.
What an great idea, I never thought of that. I buy the Tikka Masala sauce when I am in Aldi, which is excellent, but usually make it with chicken I cook myself.
chicken from costco served with a sauce from aldi. that should be the official meal of the bogelheads. :)
Disagree. Official meal would be going around the store 5-6 times to collect free samples. That means you get a free meal and some exercise for the day. [This is a joke]
No joke, years back I had a weekend lunch routine of walking to the nearby Costco, doing at least 1 round of samples (maybe a second if there was something especially tasty)... followed by a $1.50 hot dog & soda combo on the way out if still hungry.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

JoMoney wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:09 am No joke, years back I had a weekend lunch routine of walking to the nearby Costco, doing at least 1 round of samples (maybe a second if there was something especially tasty)... followed by a $1.50 hot dog & soda combo on the way out if still hungry.
Now THATS how a true Boglehead eats lunch! :D
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Stinky wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:20 am
JoMoney wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:09 am No joke, years back I had a weekend lunch routine of walking to the nearby Costco, doing at least 1 round of samples (maybe a second if there was something especially tasty)... followed by a $1.50 hot dog & soda combo on the way out if still hungry.
Now THATS how a true Boglehead eats lunch! :D
It got harder when they started demanding a current Costco membership card to buy the hot dog. My Costco membership expired in 1999.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Second Round

Post by Second Round »

I do the second half of that on road trips - fill up my car with Costco gas, fill up my tummy with all-beef-filler-dog, and rinse it down with a soda (90% diet cola + 10% lemonade).

It's a passable meal (ha ha), but I sure wish they'd bring back bratwurst.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Just returned from a great Christmas week in Maui. We rented a condo on the beach, and of course we had stopped at Costco to stock up for the week. We had a leftover half eaten rotisserie chicken. I fed to the the stray cats in the park across the street on our last day. They devoured it, bones and all, and even licked the container clean! It was a purrfect meal and I’m glad they enjoyed it.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Pete12 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:09 pm Just returned from a great Christmas week in Maui. We rented a condo on the beach, and of course we had stopped at Costco to stock up for the week. We had a leftover half eaten rotisserie chicken. I fed to the the stray cats in the park across the street on our last day. They devoured it, bones and all, and even licked the container clean! It was a purrfect meal and I’m glad they enjoyed it.
Respectfully, feral cats are a problem in the islands, especially in killing birds. Feral roosters and chickens, and also wild boar, (https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/08/its-a ... ghborhood/), are problems as well, each exacerbated by human feeding.

In googling I see lots of opinions on the feeding of feral animals, pro and con. I'm in the con camp. I'd not want a renter feeding leftovers to feral animals anywhere near my condo. It does appear to be legal in the State of Hawaii.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

heartwood wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:37 pm
Pete12 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:09 pm Just returned from a great Christmas week in Maui. We rented a condo on the beach, and of course we had stopped at Costco to stock up for the week. We had a leftover half eaten rotisserie chicken. I fed to the the stray cats in the park across the street on our last day. They devoured it, bones and all, and even licked the container clean! It was a purrfect meal and I’m glad they enjoyed it.
Respectfully, feral cats are a problem in the islands, especially in killing birds. Feral roosters and chickens, and also wild boar, (https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/08/its-a ... ghborhood/), are problems as well, each exacerbated by human feeding.

In googling I see lots of opinions on the feeding of feral animals, pro and con. I'm in the con camp. I'd not want a renter feeding leftovers to feral animals anywhere near my condo. It does appear to be legal in the State of Hawaii.
Purr the property manager at this particular condo, they encourage the cats as they help to keep the rodent and roach population under control.
Best wishes,
Pete
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Old topic....but I didn't reopen it. :shock:

I have noticed that whole chickens have really risen in price. You might say that everything has risen, but it is all relative. I can still get chicken legs for 49-69 cents on a good sale...similar to 2-3 years ago. Whole chickens are a different story. The Costco chickens are big and quite a value. I don't buy prepared food very often. For 2 people though, I can buy a Costco chicken and make enchiladas, freeze enough for another 2 person enchilada or salad meal and use the bones and carcass to make a gallon+ of stock. Since I do cook almost exclusively from scratch, I don't buy the Costco chickens often but they are a value. Just looking at the price history tells you that. It has been $5 mostly since 2000.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:06 pm For 2 people though, I can buy a Costco chicken and make enchiladas, freeze enough for another 2 person enchilada or salad meal and use the bones and carcass to make a gallon+ of stock.
This is a very good point. I have been making a lot of stock lately using the carcass and bones. I give the bones a rough chop with a meat cleaver, then throw it all into a pot along with all the skin. Give it a good browning first before adding the water. You get a thick fond on the bottom of the pan which you then deglaze with the water. Boil for a couple of hours and you are left with a rich flavorful broth- perfect for soups and stews.