Costco rotisserie chicken

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Pete12

Costco rotisserie chicken

Post by Pete12 »

Let's face it- if you don't pick up a $5 rotisserie Chicken each time you visit Costco then you're insane! :oops:

However I find it gets a bit boring after a while... I usually just reheat it and serve with some rice and veg for a quick weeknight meal.

What do you guys do with YOUR Costco chickens to keep your meals interesting???
CppCoder

Re: Costco rotisserie chicken

Post by CppCoder »

We dice the rotisserie chicken and mix it with the GoodFoods cranberry almond chicken salad, also purchased at Costco. That's quite good on sandwiches. Occasionally, if we don't have any chicken salad, we just cut the rotisserie chicken into slices for sandwiches. Apparently, all roads lead to sandwiches.
Teague

Post by Teague »

To break the monotony I'm training one I picked up today. "Sit" and "stay" are coming along very nicely.
Semper Augustus
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Easy / Lazy chicken noodle soup.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

pull off leg, thigh, and wing and add a vegetable or sweet potatoe and thats a meal.

repeat for meal number 2.

for whats left (in order of what i usually do):

1) dice everything thats left and make chicken soup. plenty of rotisserie chicken soup receipes on the web. garlic, onion, pepper, carrots, celery, couple cans of beans, frozen corn, dice a can of chipotles (this makes all the difference). leftover collard greens if i have any. chicken stock. depending on how much stuff i add i get up to a week of lunches from that.

2) chicken burritos

3) sandwiches
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I dip it into super-hot BBQ sauce and have it with a side of mashed potatoes. It's tasty.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Teague wrote:To break the monotony I'm training one I picked up today. "Sit" and "stay" are coming along very nicely.
The last chicken I had was a little unresponsive :P
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

Ron Ronnerson wrote:I dip it into super-hot BBQ sauce and have it with a side of mashed potatoes. It's tasty.
1. What kind of BBQ sauce do you use? I am always searching for better BBQ sauce
2. Plain mashed potatoes? or with gravy? Mashed potatoes & good gravy -- can't be beat. I am starting to salivate as I write this.

We buy the 2 pack of chickens from costco & cook on a charcoal BBQ. There is something about the precooked chicken we didn't care for, but it has been years since we bought them so I don't recall exactly what it was that we didn't like.

I am certain the raw chicken is more expensive than the cooked ones, and mine take way more time.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Any animal bones left after a meal always scream homemade broth or stock to me...
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

Pete12 wrote:
Teague wrote:To break the monotony I'm training one I picked up today. "Sit" and "stay" are coming along very nicely.
The last chicken I had was a little unresponsive :P
Sounds like your chicken already knew how to sit and stay.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

JoinToday wrote:
Ron Ronnerson wrote:I dip it into super-hot BBQ sauce and have it with a side of mashed potatoes. It's tasty.
1. What kind of BBQ sauce do you use? I am always searching for better BBQ sauce
2. Plain mashed potatoes? or with gravy? Mashed potatoes & good gravy -- can't be beat. I am starting to salivate as I write this.

We buy the 2 pack of chickens from costco & cook on a charcoal BBQ. There is something about the precooked chicken we didn't care for, but it has been years since we bought them so I don't recall exactly what it was that we didn't like.

I am certain the raw chicken is more expensive than the cooked ones, and mine take way more time.
Kinder' BBQ Sauce. Extra hot for me and mild for wife. We just do plain mashed potatoes. Nothing fancy but does the trick. I'm getting hungry.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

JoinToday wrote:
Ron Ronnerson wrote:I There is something about the precooked chicken we didn't care for, but it has been years since we bought them so I don't recall exactly what it was that we didn't like.
I occasionally buy one when I feel lazy but it is over salty, has quite a few preservatives in it (potassium nitrate?) and the wings and legs which are my favorite, tend to be overcooked. As with just about all modern chickens, the rather tasteless giant breasts dominate the whole bird .
GW208

Post by GW208 »

My wife makes a fantastic chicken pot pie from the leftovers.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

JoinToday wrote:Sounds like your chicken already knew how to sit and stay.
Yeah but struggling with "fetch"!
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I haven't bought one in a while. However I would buy the chicken + the pretzel rolls and make sandwiches from them.
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

• just pull pieces and eat simply on their own with a veggie,
    dice up and toss in a green salad as a full meal,
    cook onions and peppers first till soft then throw in chicken and taco seasoning for the last minute for easy fajitas,
    shred or dice and alternate with layers of corn tortillas and cheese to make enchiladas or an enchilada casserole of course with homemade enchilada sauce,
    dice up with onions, celery, garlic, mayonnaise, and raisins for chicken salad sandwiches or just in a cup with crunchy veggies on the side if being healthy

Post by 123 »

I go to my Costco early and am usually there as they open the doors a few minutes before 10 a.m. I usually head straight for the rotisserie chicken because there's always one or two guys that are loading up 25 - 50 rotisserie chickens EACH into boxes on a couple of those Costco shopping dollies. I'm sure they must be connected with a snak shop or restaurant but it's not really my business. I'm sure they figured out that the cooked rotisserie chicken is likely the cheapest chicken per pound in the place.

My favorite lunch recipe is a warm Costco rotisserie chicken bagel sandwich made with a warmed Costco onion bagel. Just add a little lettuce and a couple of tomato slices. Chicken legs, wings, and slices make up an entree for dinner with vegetables and maybe rice. The leftover chicken gets diced up and used in either a spaghetti or pasta dish the next evening.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Watty

Post by Watty »

The last two that we got seemed smaller than they used to be. It could just be the luck of which ones were out that day but has anyone else noticed that in the last month or two?
OldOne

Post by OldOne »

Gumbo. One of those chickens plus a pound or so of shrimp and Oh Man! Mighty good.
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

:shock: :shock: :shock: ha!
I know nothing!
powermega

Post by powermega »

The only better deal than the $5 chicken at Costco is the $1.50 hot dog and drink. Both are glorious!
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
blu9535

Post by blu9535 »

More ideas on Costco chicken and other foods in this discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=193821
coachz

Post by coachz »

I got both the chicken and the hot dog/drink last week !
Toons

Post by Toons »

No Costco here,,,but
Sams...4.98.
Can't beat it . :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

The three of us use up about half of the chicken at the first meal. Debone the rest of the meat and use in a stir fry with onions and bell peppers.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Personally I think its insane to buy chickens raised in conditions where a $5 chicken can be profitable (yes I know it might be a loss leader).
coachz

Post by coachz »

barnaclebob wrote:Personally I think its insane to buy chickens raised in conditions where a $5 chicken can be profitable (yes I know it might be a loss leader).
I'm guessing you are right and these are probably tortured chickens. I also read that chickens are killed for this at 3 months old. They don't even get a life. :annoyed
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

coachz wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:Personally I think its insane to buy chickens raised in conditions where a $5 chicken can be profitable (yes I know it might be a loss leader).
I'm guessing you are right and these are probably tortured chickens. I also read that chickens are killed for this at 3 months old. They don't even get a life. :annoyed
Well they are at least almost certainly raised in a huge barn packed full with chickens. Much better conditions than layer hens in cages though. At least it seems there is momentum to at least go to cage free eggs from many large retailers and restaurant chains. Cage free is a step up but still about the same conditions as the broiler chickens get (large crowded barns)

My goal this year is to get all of our meat from either directly from the farmer, the wild (fish and shellfish), or from our CSA (pastured chickens and a turkey almost directly from the farmer). It does cost much more though.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
coachz

Post by coachz »

I always thought they lived a full life whatever the life span of a chicken is.
jmk

Post by jmk »

1) chicken soup, 30m in pressure cooker
2) chicken jambalaya. Pull off meat, make 30m broth of carcas, then make jambalaya as usual, adding meat back on at end.
badger42

Post by badger42 »

Ignoring the chicken's quality of life, I must be one of the few bogleheads who really doesn't like the Costco chickens.

For lack of a better description, they taste way to hot-doggy - salty / preserved / etc. I'd much rather buy a fresh chicken (Costco is great for this!) and roast it - while it takes a bit, it's basically hands off (preheat oven, season bird, let it roast until it's done).
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

I'm not a member. Last time I went to Costco with a friend I bought cinnamon, salt-free seasoning, and coffee, which were good deals. I've never gotten one of those R. chickens--they don't smell right to me. -- Tet
elTocino

Post by elTocino »

Enchiladas. A whole pan.
coachz

Post by coachz »

badger42 wrote:Ignoring the chicken's quality of life, I must be one of the few bogleheads who really doesn't like the Costco chickens.

For lack of a better description, they taste way to hot-doggy - salty / preserved / etc. I'd much rather buy a fresh chicken (Costco is great for this!) and roast it - while it takes a bit, it's basically hands off (preheat oven, season bird, let it roast until it's done).
Nice, and to me they taste really good. Everyone has their own tastes for sure.
jdb

Post by jdb »

badger42 wrote:Ignoring the chicken's quality of life, I must be one of the few bogleheads who really doesn't like the Costco chickens.

Even better, if have rotisserie feature on grill, rub
a little salt on outside, affix to rotisserie bar and tie with butcher twine, and let rotate on rotisserie around 90 minutes depending on size. Great home made rotisserie chicken.
AnnieK

Post by AnnieK »

Find a recipe online for 'creamed turkey'. Basically it is turkey/chicken in a white sauce with veggies. Service it over rice, mashed potatoes, or toast. Delicious!
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

elTocino wrote:Enchiladas. A whole pan.
I make enchiladas also or add it to a salad.

I really don't like reheating it directly as the white meat gets pretty dry.

I find if you leave it in the container on the counter it stays warm for hours. I'm not sure from a food safety perspective how long you can do that for, but I've pushed it.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Pete12 wrote:Let's face it- if you don't pick up a $5 rotisserie Chicken each time you visit Costco then you're insane!
So she went into the garden to cut a cabbage leaf, to make an apple pie; and at the same time a great she-bear coming up the street, pops its head into the shop. 'What! no soap?' So he died, and she very imprudently married the barber; and there were present the Picninnies, and the Joblillies, and the Garyulies, and the grand Panjandrum himself, with the little round button at top; and they all fell to playing the game of catch as catch can, till the gunpowder ran out at the heels of their boots.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

nisiprius wrote:So she went into the garden to cut a cabbage leaf, to make an apple pie; and at the same time a great she-bear coming up the street, pops its head into the shop. 'What! no soap?' So he died, and she very imprudently married the barber; and there were present the Picninnies, and the Joblillies, and the Garyulies, and the grand Panjandrum himself, with the little round button at top; and they all fell to playing the game of catch as catch can, till the gunpowder ran out at the heels of their boots.
Ha! No chicken for you then!
Teague

Post by Teague »

^^^ Mr. Macklin? Is that you?
Semper Augustus
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Ended up making chicken salad this weekend, I diced up the left overs and added some Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil, and some Mrs. Dash. I didn't add any salt as the chicken is pretty salty already. It was quite good :happy
workingovertime

Post by workingovertime »

Reading from the replies, I might be one of the few exceptions... but I don't really like them (nor Sams')

I feel like they don't "chew" like real chicken. It tastes as if it lacks "density" and too soft to be actual meat. Kind of the same concept how McDonald's claims their meat is 100% beef but when you bite into their meat verses one of those 90/10 burger meat from the grocery store, one tastes more like actual beef than the other.

Anyhow, my family buys them sometimes though. We usually just eat the meat by itself just as snacks. There are of course leftovers. We rip them to pieces and use it for various soups in the future.
Teague

Post by Teague »

workingovertime wrote:
I feel like they don't "chew" like real chicken. It tastes as if it lacks "density" and too soft to be actual meat.
Agreed, and there is a reason for that. They both contain sodium phosphates (when I checked the labels) which does a few things, including altering the structure of the protein and helping with moisture retention. Lots of meats are treated with this.
Last edited by Teague on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Augustus
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

barnaclebob wrote:
coachz wrote:
Well they are at least almost certainly raised in a huge barn packed full with chickens. Much better conditions than layer hens in cages though. At least it seems there is momentum to at least go to cage free eggs from many large retailers and restaurant chains. Cage free is a step up but still about the same conditions as the broiler chickens get (large crowded barns)

My goal this year is to get all of our meat from either directly from the farmer, the wild (fish and shellfish), or from our CSA (pastured chickens and a turkey almost directly from the farmer). It does cost much more though.
I agree and choose not to buy dirt cheap chicken. The FDA admitted 70% of chicken contains arsenic from the feed.

I buy Coleman farms chicken from Costco or Fresh thyme. It's worth the extra $ to me. Local/CSA would be even better.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

BW1985 wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
coachz wrote:

I agree and choose not to buy dirt cheap chicken. The FDA admitted 70% of chicken contains arsenic from the feed.

I buy Coleman farms chicken from Costco or Fresh thyme. It's worth the extra $ to me. Local/CSA would be even better.

I buy the organic ground turkey at Costco. More $ but so worth it.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

BW1985 wrote: The FDA admitted 70% of chicken contains arsenic from the feed.
Be careful with stats like this as they are likely from someone pushing an agenda. One form of arsenic naturally occurring and present in a lot of what we eat. What matters is the % of chicken that have unsafe levels of arsenic and if the "safe" level is truly safe or not.

Also the price of a chicken isn't necessarily connected to how well its treated or what is used to feed it.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdb

Post by jdb »

This thread inspired me. Went out and bought young chicken from Whole Paycheck ( Costco too far a drive unless also buying wine, Whole Paycheck does sell quality chicken at a price) and it is now rotating on rotisserie for home made rotisserie chicken. Thanks for the idea.
JCrack

Post by JCrack »

JoinToday wrote:

Stubbs. Original or Honey-Pecan, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

For wing sauce (if you make your own wings) Sparky's is hard to beat, but you have to order online most likely.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

jdb wrote:This thread inspired me. Went out and bought young chicken from Whole Paycheck ( Costco too far a drive unless also buying wine, Whole Paycheck does sell quality chicken at a price) and it is now rotating on rotisserie for home made rotisserie chicken. Thanks for the idea.
If you really want your socks knocked off, find some good local Berkshire pork chops
Last edited by barnaclebob on Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.