Costco rotisserie chicken

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sport

Re: Costco rotisserie chicken

Post by sport »

I guess I am not typical. I have gone to Costco and gone to the back of the store to pick up a gallon of milk and left the store with that one item. I live close to the store so this is not uncommon for us. Other times we roam the store looking for bargains. The impulse purchases we make doing this add up to trivial amounts and we are happy with the items that we bought at "dirt cheap" prices.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

LilyFleur wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:47 pm
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:54 am
LilyFleur wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 am
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:41 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:15 pm

or...profitability. They aren't selling at $5 to make a profit (though covering some cost), they lure you into the deepest area of the warehouse to get you to buy other items.
As one half of a married couple who’s amassed a pretty sizable nest egg solely from smart retailing, let me tell you that alone is one good reason not to eat a $5 chicken.

The vast majority of great deals aren’t, in fact. My wife and I have two commas to prove it.
I'm pretty sure there are some folks on this forum who eat Costco rotisserie chickens, are disciplined in their finances, and have two commas. It can be done.
And that’s what they say makes a market.

Also, Costco is FULL of people who have literally no idea how to take care of themselves, financially or otherwise. Neither I, or the commenter I was replying to was referring to folks that are disciplined in their finances and and have 2 commas.

Costco is no different than any other retailer. They’re objective is to separate you from as much of your hard earned cash as they possibly can, and the $5 chicken is just one tool in their toolbox. The less time you spend in Costco the better, and of course Costco knows that which is why they put a $5 ready-to-eat rotisserie chicken in the far corner of the store. You might be surprised how many Costco addicts buy a $479 tool chest or a $698 necklace because of the $5 chicken “they‘re just swinging by to pick up for dinner”. Retailers know retail.
I'm not surprised at all. I belong to a Costco group on Facebook. You would not believe the totals on the receipts they leave Costco with!
All shopping enables spending, without discipline. I absolutely agree that the less time we spend shopping, the better, whatever the venue. I know of people who sit at home buying far too much on Amazon.
Congratulations on your frugality and your two commas!
Thank you for the compliment.

Costco is one of the last companies left that people actually feel blessed to have needlessly drain them of their hard earned money. As if somehow Costco is on their side. Lol

At least everyone knows Amazon is evil. Oh, wait.
Being wrong compounds forever.
hnd

Post by hnd »

if we go to costco you can be sure that a rotisserie chicken will be supper for the evening. I'm not particularly fond of it, but for 5 bucks it feeds a family of 6 handily.

They now started selling chicken chunks from left over rotisserie chickens that don't sell i guess. we bought a bag of it last time. hard pass in the future
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

sport wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:11 pm I guess I am not typical. I have gone to Costco and gone to the back of the store to pick up a gallon of milk and left the store with that one item. I live close to the store so this is not uncommon for us. Other times we roam the store looking for bargains. The impulse purchases we make doing this add up to trivial amounts and we are happy with the items that we bought at "dirt cheap" prices.
I once went to Costco to buy a mattress that I had had my eye on for a while. While I was there I figured I would pick up a rotisserie chicken for dinner. So I had the mattress on the flat bed cart with the chicken balanced on top. Everyone at the checkout was cracking up - where else can you buy a mattress and a rotisserie chicken in the same transaction!! :-D
sport

Post by sport »

Pete12 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:13 pm
sport wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:11 pm I guess I am not typical. I have gone to Costco and gone to the back of the store to pick up a gallon of milk and left the store with that one item. I live close to the store so this is not uncommon for us. Other times we roam the store looking for bargains. The impulse purchases we make doing this add up to trivial amounts and we are happy with the items that we bought at "dirt cheap" prices.
I once went to Costco to buy a mattress that I had had my eye on for a while. While I was there I figured I would pick up a rotisserie chicken for dinner. So I had the mattress on the flat bed cart with the chicken balanced on top. Everyone at the checkout was cracking up - where else can you buy a mattress and a rotisserie chicken in the same transaction!! :-D
You could also have added a diamond ring, some underwear, a computer, and a case of motor oil. :D
aquaman

Post by aquaman »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:26 pm Costco is one of the last companies left that people actually feel blessed to have needlessly drain them of their hard earned money. As if somehow Costco is on their side. Lol

Every single company's objective is to maximize profits, so I don't think that too many people out there are under an illusion that Costco is somehow different in that respect. Likewise, not everything at Costco is a deal or a good buy, as there is no retailer on the planet that consistently offers the best products at the best prices.

There is quite a bit that people like about Costco, however, which is the reason that it remains so popular. For a lot of people out there, and especially for families with kids, Costco offers tremendous convenience and great savings. Overall, Costco's primary market are college educated, upper income households interested in upscale products at highly competitive prices.

It does not work well, however, for singles and does not always make a lot of sense for childless couples/empty nesters. It also doesn't work well for those who live in small condos/apartments. Likewise, it tends not to work for lower income households who are trying to reduce their overall spending by focusing on budget items. This is also the reason that most Costco locations are in upper income areas.

For every hammer used by the Habitat for Humanity to build wonderful things, there's a story about a person who hit himself in the head and ended up in the ER. Costco isn't that different, as it's a tool, which in the right situations can make your life easier. Just like any other tool out there, it doesn't make sense in every situation and, if used improperly, can do damage.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Dark meat - eaten on date of purchase
White meat - mixed into alfredo sauce for pasta later in the week
Bones - made into broth
Costco is one of the last companies left that people actually feel blessed to have needlessly drain them of their hard earned money. As if somehow Costco is on their side. Lol

I don’t think of buying toilet paper as a needless drain on my wealth. Your mileage may vary, but We like shopping at Costco because of how often it lands in the sweet spot on the value curve for us. The goods there are typically high quality but not luxury/premium branded, and then they are discounted steeply. Ours stocks a lot of ethnic and specialty foods, so we can often skip going to the ethnic grocery. Their return policy is absurdly generous.

The contrarian in me also likes the fact that shopping there has zero cachet among the chattering class.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Here’s another recipe we recently came up with on the fly. A hot “thanksgiving” style sandwich. Slice up the chicken and serve it hot on an open faced sandwich with stuffing, cranberry sauce, and gravy. Fantastic!
slickracer

Post by slickracer »

They make really good quesadillas
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

We like Costco for some things, but just because something comes in "economy size" doesn't make it a good deal. We've purchased some items of clothing that were pretty good deals (e.g. there's always some form of athletic socks on sale.) Bakery isn't bad if you need to buy a whole lot of cookies or muffins for a group. The sheet cakes are always good for special events. Their extra-virgin olive oil is surprisingly good. Costco Pharmacy is almost always the best price we can find, at least in our area. Other items, we do the math to compare with the supermarkets.

I am waiting for our local Costco to open a gas station. They just bought the site of a now-closed restaurant, in a perfect location near the store, so I'm waiting to see what happens there.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

The fact that there are so few Costco stores means that most people will travel long distances to reach them (vs. say the corner Walmart) so it becomes an "event" that probably encourages more browsing and additional purchases. Plus if you're taking an hour to get to and from Costco, you're probably doing it when you have more time to shop.
JonFund

Post by JonFund »

badger42 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:22 am Ignoring the chicken's quality of life, I must be one of the few bogleheads who really doesn't like the Costco chickens.

For lack of a better description, they taste way to hot-doggy - salty / preserved / etc. I'd much rather buy a fresh chicken (Costco is great for this!) and roast it - while it takes a bit, it's basically hands off (preheat oven, season bird, let it roast until it's done).
I was a long-time fan of Costco rotisserie birds until I learned of the sodium content; (460 mg per serving). In comparison, a Kroger bird has only 40 mg per serving, and the only additives are water and sea-salt.
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

A college friend worked in a grocery store in the meat department for a few of his early years. (Before he decided there were other things he wanted to do with his life.) What he described put me off of pre-cooked chickens for life. It is likely an isolated thing but here goes. He described that at the end of the day if some of the uncooked whole chickens were smelling a little dicey or were looking a little greenish their process was to make a wash of chlorine/water and wash down, then rinse the "spicy chickens", as they called them. Then they would salt, pepper and spice up the birds and cook them for the next day. Back then the deal was that they got more for the pre-cooked ones. So, even though it is probably just an irrational fear, I'm out.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

Where I live, Safeway grocery is going head-to-head with a $5 chicken. Anyone else seeing competition like this out there?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

GreendaleCC wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:48 am Where I live, Safeway grocery is going head-to-head with a $5 chicken. Anyone else seeing competition like this out there?
Nope. I have tried the ones at various grocery stores and they tend to be smaller of the same price, and rarely tasty.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

sailaway wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:50 am
GreendaleCC wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:48 am Where I live, Safeway grocery is going head-to-head with a $5 chicken. Anyone else seeing competition like this out there?
Nope. I have tried the ones at various grocery stores and they tend to be smaller of the same price, and rarely tasty.
Sam’s club does the same $5 rotisserie chicken as Costco.

I just bought one this morning.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Abe

Post by Abe »

Stinky wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:56 am

I just bought a rotisserie chicken last Sunday from a local Walmart for $4.50. Don't know how it compares in weight to Costco's.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

Abe wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:37 pm

I just bought a rotisserie chicken last Sunday from a local Walmart for $4.50. Don't know how it compares in weight to Costco's.
The Costco chickens are hefty.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Orangutan wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:45 pm

So are Sam’s chickens.

Walmart’s are not.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Yes and no. Similar price, but a much smaller bird at my local Safeway vs. the local Costco. I've never checked weights, but I would estimate on average, the Costco chickens net around 1.5x as many servings.

I'd say the Costco one seems to taste better, too, but that is almost certainly due to the excessive amount of sodium that someone else mentioned.

The economy of scale really seems to work in Costco's favor on this product compared to a regular grocery store: starting with the volume that individual stores order so I'm sure they get excellent pricing, then the big rotisseries they have in continuous operation so their labor is efficiently utilized, and ending with the fact that any cooked chicken unsold at the end of the day or that has sat longer after cooking than ideal for flavor gets used up in other products like the next day's chicken alfredo.
Rudy Tooty

Post by Rudy Tooty »

Just brought home a Costco rot. chicken an hour ago and ate some. Tasty. Paid $4.99. Same price I believe I paid in the 80's and 90's. Smart way to keep the customer happy. Their packaged chicken , beef and fish are of good quality. But I can buy them at the local grocery stores for significantly less.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Bought one today. It is sitting in my fridge with its feet up, trying to figure out what to do for the rest of its existence.

An item was discounted by about 10%, so I bought two, but the discount was for a limit of one, but not written anywhere. Also found I paid $5 more than I thought for cheese since the price was not over the product.

I don't think the chicken is worth the membership fee.
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
Annabel Lee

Post by Annabel Lee »

That’s because they’re injected with saline solution to plump them up. Yum. Not.

Just love how the average Boglehead responding to this thread will crawl into moving traffic to pick up a dime, but couldn’t care less about the quality of food they ingest....
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

iamlucky13 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:31 pm The economy of scale really seems to work in Costco's favor on this product compared to a regular grocery store: starting with the volume that individual stores order so I'm sure they get excellent pricing
Costco actually raises its own chickens now:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/business ... index.html
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

Annabel Lee wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:24 pm

That’s because they’re injected with saline solution to plump them up. Yum. Not.
All you have to do is look at the Walmart/Safeway/Albertsons and Costco rotisserie chickens side by side to know this isn’t the sole reason for their size differences.
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

hnd wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:38 pm if we go to costco you can be sure that a rotisserie chicken will be supper for the evening. I'm not particularly fond of it, but for 5 bucks it feeds a family of 6 handily.

They now started selling chicken chunks from left over rotisserie chickens that don't sell i guess. we bought a bag of it last time. hard pass in the future
The packages of rotisserie chicken meat are great for putting in soups or stews, or using for things like chicken pot pie. I wouldn’t just warm them up to eat.
jbozz318

Post by jbozz318 »

Costco chicken plus "Truff" black truffle hot sauce = perfection
ckelly78z

Post by ckelly78z »

We like getting the metal trays full of rotisserie chicken parts at Costco...so many uses, and easier to store in the freezer.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Another not a fan of the Costco chicken "as-is"...I find the flavor better on smaller birds from local supermarkets.
GTi

Post by GTi »

Pete12 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:15 pm Let's face it- if you don't pick up a $5 rotisserie Chicken each time you visit Costco then you're insane! :oops:

However I find it gets a bit boring after a while... I usually just reheat it and serve with some rice and veg for a quick weeknight meal.

What do you guys do with YOUR Costco chickens to keep your meals interesting???
We treat it like Forrest Gump treats shrimp

Meal the 1st night

then it can turn into any of the following:

Enchiladas
Soups
Nachos
Salads -

Just be mindful of the skin if you are eating healthy - the Sam's person told me the secret to getting the birds to brown is butter
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

GTi wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:39 am
Pete12 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:15 pm Let's face it- if you don't pick up a $5 rotisserie Chicken each time you visit Costco then you're insane! :oops:

However I find it gets a bit boring after a while... I usually just reheat it and serve with some rice and veg for a quick weeknight meal.

Meal the 1st night

Enchiladas
Soups
Nachos
Salads -

Just be mindful of the skin if you are eating healthy - the Sam's person told me the secret to getting the birds to brown is butter
I mean, you always need to be mindful of the skin if you are watching your fat intake.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

sailaway wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:57 am

Meal the 1st night

Enchiladas
Soups
Nachos
Salads -

I mean, you always need to be mindful of the skin if you are watching your fat intake.
Problem is... the skin is the tastiest bit... :shock:
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Pete12 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:42 pm
sailaway wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:57 am

Meal the 1st night

Enchiladas
Soups
Nachos
Salads -

Problem is... the skin is the tastiest bit... :shock:
Luckily, I have a medical condition that means I have to watch my carbs, so I run fast and loose with the fats, particularly when it comes to shredding a Costco chicken for our salads...
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

BH_RedRan wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:43 am A college friend worked in a grocery store in the meat department for a few of his early years. (Before he decided there were other things he wanted to do with his life.) What he described put me off of pre-cooked chickens for life. It is likely an isolated thing but here goes. He described that at the end of the day if some of the uncooked whole chickens were smelling a little dicey or were looking a little greenish their process was to make a wash of chlorine/water and wash down, then rinse the "spicy chickens", as they called them. Then they would salt, pepper and spice up the birds and cook them for the next day. Back then the deal was that they got more for the pre-cooked ones. So, even though it is probably just an irrational fear, I'm out.
A good restaurant near me was exposed for something similar: washing spoiled raw meat with bleach water and then cooking per usual.

We cook most everything ourselves...
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I normally shop at Sam’s Club, and almost always pick up one of their rotisserie chickens. However, tonight I popped into Costco and bought a few things, including a chicken. Both stores sell 3 pound chickens for $4.99.

One man’s taste test - I think that the Sam’s chicken is juicier and tastier than Costco, which was rather dry and bland. I’d take Sam’s rotisserie chicken hands down over Costco’s version.
DakotaDoc

Post by DakotaDoc »

I buy 2 per week and mix it with dog food for my 2 poodles :mrgreen:
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

We go to Costco about every 3 weeks or so and on most trips pick up a rotisserie chicken. It usually gets turned into three meals for DW and I. The first meal is usually as is with some vegetables and starch. Once combo I like is a box of Stove Top stuffing augmented with cut up apples, mushrooms, celery, and onions. Simple and quick. One meal uses about half of the leftovers in dish that can use cooked chicken, e.g., Chicken Tetrazinni, Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Fried Rice, etc., whatever I have on hand or feel like making. The last meal uses the bones to make stock in an instant pot for some sort of chicken soup or base for a version of Chinese rice porridge that is a tradition in my family.

I find all the complaints about the salt solution injections a bit amusing. It is just their way of brining the chicken (though the best method, IMO, is to use buttermilk). If you don't understand why that is a good thing, all I can say is that you are a culinary philistine.

Suffice it to say, I find their rotisserie chicken to be pretty tasty and a great bargain, much better than that available in any other supermarket or grocery store. It is never going to be as good as one I brine and roast from scratch, but I would charge you a lot more than $5 if you were to ask me to prepare it for you ...........

A

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

The skin is not desirable to me. Not crispy enough. They are a great value. They are juicier than any comparable rotisserie chicken bought at any local grocery store. This may be due to the high turnover. Perfect for a quick lunch or pulling for other applications (salad, enchiladas, sandwiches, etc.). I don't buy them often, but have never regretted buying one. If you are looking for free range, organic, etc. chickens you aren't going to get one cooked for $5.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

deleted
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I always laugh at the folks that inspect the chicken to find the ‘nicest’ one available. Like they are serving it to Gordon Ramsay or something.

Bought one yesterday, finished eating it today on my own.
PoemMan

Post by PoemMan »

We are vegan/vegetarian, but our late boxer LOVED Costco rotisserie chicken! It was a special treat for him, and we enjoyed serving it to him because he liked it so much. It took us a while to be able to walk past them in the store, as it reminded us of him ...
“This old truck … I own it … it don’t own me” - Howlin’ Wolf in Cadillac Records
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

My husband loved Costco rotisserie chickens.

My sweetie would let it cool down on the counter for a bit after we got home, then take all the meat off the bones (but not the legs - they were saved on the side for me) and put the meat into a plastic container we had that was exactly the right size. Because my sweetie had done all the work of taking the meat off the bones, it made it easy for me to make chicken casseroles.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

aquaman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:58 pm
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:26 pm Costco is one of the last companies left that people actually feel blessed to have needlessly drain them of their hard earned money. As if somehow Costco is on their side. Lol

Every single company's objective is to maximize profits, so I don't think that too many people out there are under an illusion that Costco is somehow different in that respect. Likewise, not everything at Costco is a deal or a good buy, as there is no retailer on the planet that consistently offers the best products at the best prices.

There is quite a bit that people like about Costco, however, which is the reason that it remains so popular. For a lot of people out there, and especially for families with kids, Costco offers tremendous convenience and great savings. Overall, Costco's primary market are college educated, upper income households interested in upscale products at highly competitive prices.

It does not work well, however, for singles and does not always make a lot of sense for childless couples/empty nesters. It also doesn't work well for those who live in small condos/apartments. Likewise, it tends not to work for lower income households who are trying to reduce their overall spending by focusing on budget items. This is also the reason that most Costco locations are in upper income areas.

For every hammer used by the Habitat for Humanity to build wonderful things, there's a story about a person who hit himself in the head and ended up in the ER. Costco isn't that different, as it's a tool, which in the right situations can make your life easier. Just like any other tool out there, it doesn't make sense in every situation and, if used improperly, can do damage.
I'm single and I live in a 1000-square foot condo, and one of the bedrooms is not available to me for storage. I have plenty of space to store toilet tissue, paper towels, organic extra-virgin olive oil, avocado oil, the large package of grape tomatoes (that only lasts me a few days), organic half-n-half (I decant into a smaller container that I use daily--the big container stays fresh longer if you only open it once a week or so), Kirkland-brand coffee pods, pajamas, nice cotton shirts, blue jeans, leggings, shorts, underwear, socks, sheets, blankets, towels, living-room and bathroom rugs, 65-inch TCL Roku TV in my living room, smaller Vizio TV in my bedroom, Samsung tablet, filing cabinet, Bose soundbar, Bose mini, patio chairs, power strips, fragrance-free laundry detergent, big pots for the trees on my patios, Oxiclean, Turbotax, the list goes on. Nothing is wasted. I don't have a lot of extra stuff, so that gives me closet space for my Costco shopping.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

LilyFleur wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:55 am
I'm single and I live in a 1000-square foot condo, and one of the bedrooms is not available to me for storage. I have plenty of space to store toilet tissue, paper towels, organic extra-virgin olive oil, avocado oil, the large package of grape tomatoes (that only lasts me a few days), organic half-n-half (I decant into a smaller container that I use daily--the big container stays fresh longer if you only open it once a week or so), Kirkland-brand coffee pods, pajamas, nice cotton shirts, blue jeans, leggings, shorts, underwear, socks, sheets, blankets, towels, living-room and bathroom rugs, 65-inch TCL Roku TV in my living room, smaller Vizio TV in my bedroom, Samsung tablet, filing cabinet, Bose soundbar, Bose mini, patio chairs, power strips, fragrance-free laundry detergent, big pots for the trees on my patios, Oxiclean, Turbotax, the list goes on. Nothing is wasted. I don't have a lot of extra stuff, so that gives me closet space for my Costco shopping.
It sounds like you have your priorities in order. :D
Teague

Post by Teague »

Stinky wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:27 pm I normally shop at Sam’s Club, and almost always pick up one of their rotisserie chickens. However, tonight I popped into Costco and bought a few things, including a chicken. Both stores sell 3 pound chickens for $4.99.

One man’s taste test - I think that the Sam’s chicken is juicier and tastier than Costco, which was rather dry and bland. I’d take Sam’s rotisserie chicken hands down over Costco’s version.
Update: That was the case here as well for a long time, but the Sam's chickens here are now labeled at 2lb. 12 oz., whereas Costco's remain a full 3 lbs. I checked because the Sam's rotisserie chickens looked unusually small to me. Hopefully this will be reflected in the next revision of the official CPI, Chicken Price Index.
Semper Augustus
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Teague wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:58 am
Stinky wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:27 pm I normally shop at Sam’s Club, and almost always pick up one of their rotisserie chickens. However, tonight I popped into Costco and bought a few things, including a chicken. Both stores sell 3 pound chickens for $4.99.

Update: That was the case here as well for a long time, but the Sam's chickens here are now labeled at 2lb. 12 oz., whereas Costco's remain a full 3 lbs. I checked because the Sam's rotisserie chickens looked unusually small to me. Hopefully this will be reflected in the next revision of the official CPI, Chicken Price Index.
Just bought my weekly rotisserie chicken today at Sam’s. Sam’s is still selling the full blooded three pound version here.

And Sams chicken still tastes better than Costco.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Went to Costco on Tuesday and, as usual, I picked up a rotisserie chicken. Imagine my surprise when I discovered they were being sold for $4.95 - a reduction off the regular price of 4 cents! Not sure if this was a one-off but I will certainly add the savings to my monthly purchase of VTSAX 8-)

homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

I used to get the Safeway rotisserie chickens in D.C. in the 90s. They were also $5. In my area now, one of these is more like $7.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I finally tried one about a month ago and was really surprised at a) how much better and b) how much larger Costco rotisserie chickens are, compared to our local supermarket and Boston Market rotisserie chicken.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

So the rotisserie chickens are now back to $4.99 in my local Costco- I guess the 4c discount was short lived :(
Pete12 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:20 pm Went to Costco on Tuesday and, as usual, I picked up a rotisserie chicken. Imagine my surprise when I discovered they were being sold for $4.95 - a reduction off the regular price of 4 cents! Not sure if this was a one-off but I will certainly add the savings to my monthly purchase of VTSAX 8-)