HOA Swimming Pool Trespassing Issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
michaeljc70

Re: HOA Swimming Pool Trespassing Issue

Post by michaeljc70 »

Can someone that lives near the pool place a camera in a window directed at the pool to try and determine the offenders? You can buy these cameras for like $50 that record and upload to the cloud for later viewing.

There are motion sensors that make sounds - I know they have one of dogs barking.

I would think that whatever you do, it would be temporary as it is probably one group doing it and once they are caught....
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Ah, I remember the game of trying to crawl from the hot tub to the pool without setting off the motion detection lights, back in high school - good times :sharebeer
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

hand wrote:Sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.
I'm dying :D .. I'd also like to know what this "vandalism" consists of.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Barbed wire is ugly. A guard dog, while no doubt effective, does not seem very practical. Security cameras and/or private security guard should do it. Part of my neighborhood hired private security when the ATL PD were incapable to responding in a timely fashion to reports of break ins and suspicious people.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz »

ruppel93 wrote:
I wonder why the police do not view this as the emergency it truly is. I think those Sharks would get their attention.
Now you just have to deal with PETA
All those pesky laws and people's rights. If people would only just pay attention to property rights..

As I get older, I find doing the right thing is often the cheaper thing. Treat people like people and a lot of problems go away. Make it a challenge and kids can be creative.
mrc

Post by mrc »

ddurrett896 wrote:electric fence
That's hilarious. But do install the camera first :mrgreen:
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Topic Author
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

ruppel93 wrote:
They toss everything around on the pool deck, into the pool. One year, they snitched all the brass tie downs for putting the cover on for the winter. Other things I can't remember presently.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
southbay

Post by southbay »

i'd consider the new outdoor Nest camera coming out. or strap a couple game cameras. either one you could put on a timer to operate during hours the pool is closed.

also, to soak the teenagers, you could set up a few motion activated sprinklers on timers: https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62100-Enfo ... 009F1R0GC/

the Rab brand motion lights are very good. i'd get a few of them with 100 watt equivelant led bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/RAB-Lighting-STL ... 000W3YI26/
ji.isaacs

Post by ji.isaacs »

Hire an off duty police officer a few random nights a week. Catch and arrest.

Any chance the police would pay a visit or call the father?
scottyja

Post by scottyja »

I would do this as a teenager - we never vandalized anything and were quiet, as to not get caught, but had a favorite condo complex with a nice hot tub. One night, my friends and I were sitting in the hot tub enjoying ourselves when a spray of ICE COLD water came out of the bushes and down on our heads for a couple of seconds. The assailant never said a word, and we just sat there confused. Then another spray, still no words. We got our things, left and never returned.

Post by 123 »

How about an endless loop type recording of Guy Lombardo/Lawrence Welk type music playing around the pool (but not loud enough to disturb nearby residents) at night including a VERY LOUD underwater speaker.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Post by 123 »

scottyja wrote:I would do this as a teenager - we never vandalized anything and were quiet, as to not get caught, but had a favorite condo complex with a nice hot tub. One night, my friends and I were sitting in the hot tub enjoying ourselves when a spray of ICE COLD water came out of the bushes and down on our heads for a couple of seconds. The assailant never said a word, and we just sat there confused. Then another spray, still no words. We got our things, left and never returned.
This is a great idea. Maybe use lawn sprinklers (hidden in bushes, don't have to be permanent) focused on the pool/spa area and turn them on remotely.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

We installed a security camera a couple years ago for a lot less than $25k-$50k, and it seems to have done the trick. I'd seek a few more quotes.
Watty

Post by Watty »

BolderBoy wrote: 1) Fencing in place, but not tall enough, clearly. The pool area, while level itself, is located on a hillside. There is a roof which nearly touches the ground outside the enclosure - easy to climb onto the roof to gain access. In some places the fencing is only a couple of feet tall.
I'm surprised that you can even get insurance or pass inspections without a good fence in place. Time for a good fence. It can likely go up the hillside where the roof is so low.
island

Post by island »

Watty wrote:
BolderBoy wrote: 1) Fencing in place, but not tall enough, clearly. The pool area, while level itself, is located on a hillside. There is a roof which nearly touches the ground outside the enclosure - easy to climb onto the roof to gain access. In some places the fencing is only a couple of feet tall.
I'm surprised that you can even get insurance or pass inspections without a good fence in place. Time for a good fence. It can likely go up the hillside where the roof is so low.
Agree, starting with this is a no brainer!
spectec

Post by spectec »

island wrote:
Watty wrote:
What was described is a huge lawsuit just waiting to happen. I agree with Watty - it's surprising the association even has insurance. You might want to re-check your coverages.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
MSchleicher

Post by MSchleicher »

island wrote:
Watty wrote:
+1

Easy access to the pool makes your community an easy target. By having a higher fence, they won't be able to access the pool. If the roof is required to enter, you may be able to deter entrance by putting something on (snow guards) or around (barbed wire) the rooftop. Kids likely won't risk getting caught if it isn't easy to make a quick exit. These changes, paired with disrupting their behavior (e.g. community watch group), will probably stop them.

Something to ponder...Taking a picture of someone is only helpful if you identify who they are.
Winthorpe

Post by Winthorpe »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:Consider auditory deterrents. Opera on a loop, or random high volume high frequency sounds inaudible to adults, e.g. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -this.html.
I really like this idea of the high frequency whistle, as long as it doesn't drive the neighbor kids insane. Opera should keep trespassing adults away as well.
Topic Author
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Some more great suggestions, thanks. We talked about the "attractive nuisance" risks at the Board meeting. Making the fence taller is under consideration. For now, they are going to look at the security guard / off-duty cop solution.

And from a report, apparently all the pools around town are having problems of one sort or another.

Thanks to all!
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Keim

Post by Keim »

One blast into the air of a nearby shotgun ought to solve the issue.

Agreeing with other comments about motion sensitive lights. Don't know why those wouldn't work.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Keim wrote:One blast into the air of a nearby shotgun ought to solve the issue.
That would definitely be a good way to get the police involved. They wouldn't be looking for the kids illegally swimming though, but the idiot firing a gun inside the city limits.

Earl
Keim

Post by Keim »

Humor, Earl.
tinscale

Post by tinscale »

Our HOA pool has digital card access and we have "trespassers" during the day - "Hey, I left my pass at home, can you buzz me in?" - "Sure, no problem!" :oops:
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

8 pm (pool closing time) is a fine time to chlorinate and shock treat the pool. "Dude, my eyes are burning." :wink:
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

BolderBoy,
I would be interested hearing the results of the security guard consideration. We had young people dealing drugs in our pool parking lot and when we looked into hiring a security guard patrol of the area we found a lot of issues. For example their cost was high, they would only contract for a longer defined period not just a month or two, only do seven days a week as opposed to two or three nights, and a minimum of eight hour shift. Eventually they young people went away after residents calling the police whenever there was anyone on the property after closing hour of 10pm.
Tom D.
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Costco has very reasonably priced security camera systems:

http://www.costco.com/surveillance-systems.html
Topic Author
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Keim wrote:One blast into the air of a nearby shotgun ought to solve the issue.

Agreeing with other comments about motion sensitive lights. Don't know why those wouldn't work.
Already have the motion detector lighting all around. The kids don't care.
Topic Author
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

tomd37 wrote:BolderBoy,
I would be interested hearing the results of the security guard consideration. We had young people dealing drugs in our pool parking lot and when we looked into hiring a security guard patrol of the area we found a lot of issues. For example their cost was high, they would only contract for a longer defined period not just a month or two, only do seven days a week as opposed to two or three nights, and a minimum of eight hour shift. Eventually they young people went away after residents calling the police whenever there was anyone on the property after closing hour of 10pm.
Our HOA manager also manages 10 other HOAs. She said that calling the cops has only worked (caught someone) one time in the last 10 years since she's been doing this.
Topic Author
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

TimeRunner wrote:8 pm (pool closing time) is a fine time to chlorinate and shock treat the pool. "Dude, my eyes are burning." :wink:
Unfortunately, the pool is available from 8-9pm for adult lap swimmers who have a key and signed a waiver (no one else allowed). Lifeguards do the chlorinating and they leave at 8pm, so they do the pool treatments in the morning before the pool opens for the day.
happyhiker

Post by happyhiker »

Our HOA hired uniformed, off duty cops to provide security during the summer only, evening to early morning hours. That was what worked best after many failures and repeated trespassing and vandalism incidents. Our pool was exactly like yours with a too short fence and the roof of the pool house accessible, furthermore it was behind and apart from the homes and on a hillside, so it was difficult for the residents to monitor. After a couple of months of the police presence the kids stopped coming. But it was expensive so we switched to private security, and eventually the problems resumed. FWIW, our HOA board spent probably 75% of our time on the pool issue - it was never ending.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Top issues HOA boards must deal with (in order of aggravation):
1) Renters not respecting HOA CC&R's
2) Owners who expect the Board to be their unpaid property managers
3) Delinquent HOA dues
4) Pets (unleashed, loud, oversize, exotic, dangerous)
5) Pool & playground trespassers/abusers of privileges
6) Parking (restricted vehicles/on-street parking/common area parking)
7) Homeowner complaints/griping about services (landscaping, garbage collection, etc)
8) Residents who know how you should do your job, but are unwilling to serve
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

happyhiker wrote:Our HOA hired uniformed, off duty cops to provide security during the summer only, evening to early morning hours. That was what worked best after many failures and repeated trespassing and vandalism incidents. Our pool was exactly like yours with a too short fence and the roof of the pool house accessible, furthermore it was behind and apart from the homes and on a hillside, so it was difficult for the residents to monitor. After a couple of months of the police presence the kids stopped coming. But it was expensive so we switched to private security, and eventually the problems resumed. FWIW, our HOA board spent probably 75% of our time on the pool issue - it was never ending.
It "was"? How was it eventually resolved? If anything were to happen, a board or association may be on the hook. It's awful, but you're describing the definition of "attractive nuisance".
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Did you notify the police they are being monitored? There should be a system in place where dispatcher asks the police to call in and gets the information that way.
nova1968

Post by nova1968 »

I had this problem in my HOA. Even though I live in a gated HOA I had my house broken into by kids hanging by the pool and observed me leaving my home.
Hiring a Guard Service for the HOA might work.
How do they check their APPs if they are swimming in the pool, or maybe they are just hanging out and not going in the water.
sls239

Post by sls239 »

Are there any police officers that live in the community?
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

After reading your description of the fence, I had an immediate thought. My teenage self would have figured that they did really care if I used the pool during after hours or there would be a real fence. I do not think you probably need barb wire or guard dogs. Just an actual 8 foot fence, some lights, a few cheap cameras and a large new sign indicating the installation of these measures to broadcast that you mean to enforce the rules. I would consider the fence to be necessary for liability reasons even if the trespassers were not bothering anyone.
soccerdad12

Post by soccerdad12 »

Not sure if this would work or not, but how about getting a simplisafe system installed with motion sensors. Put the motion sensors around the pool area. Only activate after 8PM. Don't pay for monitoring, just buy a couple of the super loud horn alarms. Worth a try....
Topic Author
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

soccerdad12 wrote:Not sure if this would work or not, but how about getting a simplisafe system installed with motion sensors. Put the motion sensors around the pool area. Only activate after 8PM. Don't pay for monitoring, just buy a couple of the super loud horn alarms. Worth a try....
Nope, can't do the noise.
Topic Author
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

nova1968 wrote:I had this problem in my HOA. Even though I live in a gated HOA I had my house broken into by kids hanging by the pool and observed me leaving my home.
Hiring a Guard Service for the HOA might work.
How do they check their APPs if they are swimming in the pool, or maybe they are just hanging out and not going in the water.
They are in the water. I attempted to photograph them one night.
Topic Author
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

sls239 wrote:Are there any police officers that live in the community?
Nope.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Rotate those in residence for a period of time, put barbed wire on top of the fence or dogs as has been suggested. Check insurance first since there could be liability.

Tim
island

Post by island »

If fence is low with easy access in some areas I would think fixing that would be high priority for the HOA for liability reasons alone. No laws in your state dictating fenced all around at certain height and locked?
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

BolderBoy wrote:... I don't have kids and have zero sympathy for how they may think...
Uh... but you WERE a kid once... hopefully you still have some recollection of how you thought (or didn't think...) back then...
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Winthorpe wrote:
Norbert Schlenker wrote:Consider auditory deterrents. Opera on a loop, or random high volume high frequency sounds inaudible to adults, e.g. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -this.html.
I really like this idea of the high frequency whistle, as long as it doesn't drive the neighbor kids insane. Opera should keep trespassing adults away as well.
I remember seeing a local news story about a 7-11 that implemented this high frequency noise deterrent. They had kids loitering around their parking lot, so the 7-11 blasted this sound at night to drive the kids away. Most of their customers at night were adults and they never noticed the sound.
Topic Author
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

freebeer wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:... I don't have kids and have zero sympathy for how they may think...
Uh... but you WERE a kid once... hopefully you still have some recollection of how you thought (or didn't think...) back then...
... and I paid for my crimes.
Topic Author
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

island wrote:If fence is low with easy access in some areas I would think fixing that would be high priority for the HOA for liability reasons alone. No laws in your state dictating fenced all around at certain height and locked?
My concerns were voiced to one of the HOA attorneys (specialized group) and he didn't seem particularly concerned. We are still going to brood about it. Pool has been in place for 45 years with these trespass problems since the beginning and no incidents, so the urgency isn't there.

The fencing and obstacles are tall enough to prevent little kids from gaining [easy] access. For older children (certainly 13/14 and up), sustaining an attractive nuisance claim gets pretty tough to do.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

BolderBoy wrote:Pool has been in place for 45 years with these trespass problems since the beginning and no incidents, so the urgency isn't there.
To me this is like saying "I don't own Term Life Insurance - I'm 45 years old now and haven't had a problem without it so the urgency isn't there".

I'd pony-up the money to fix the fence.
spectec

Post by spectec »

I'd likely be selling my condo...
qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz »

DaftInvestor wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:Pool has been in place for 45 years with these trespass problems since the beginning and no incidents, so the urgency isn't there.
To me this is like saying "I don't own Term Life Insurance - I'm 45 years old now and haven't had a problem without it so the urgency isn't there".

I'd pony-up the money to fix the fence.
I doubt that any reader of this has collected on their own life insurance
No one has been hurt at the pool so that means no one could possibly get hurt there
Or insurance only pays when bad things happen so if I do not buy insurance then bad things will not happen
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Contact the insurance company that has the liability coverage on the pool. If one of those kids gets injured or killed while in the pool you can be sure that the parents will sue the HOA. Insurance company will have many ideas on how to resolve problem as the have a financial stake in this.

Money talks.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle