What kind of car do Bogleheads like to drive?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bigguy8437

What kind of car do Bogleheads like to drive?

Post by bigguy8437 »

I'm about to make my first car purchase and I want to hear what Bogleheads like to drive. I'm looking for a sedan type, and something with good gas mileage and is very reliable. Not looking for anything flashy either.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What kind of car do Bogleheads like to drive?

Post by abuss368 »

Nissan Altima?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).

Don't forget to price insurance costs. Get a few quotes before you make your purchase. Remember that you'll need to be covered before you can take it off the lot.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

A safe one,

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I always contact our insurance agent first before purchasing.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

A Hummer? I had a Brother In Law who purchased one. Being in that thing was like riding in a tank!
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

This was discussed at length a while ago (and is still being discussed today). I'll link the thread below.
viewtopic.php?t=106068
To sum it up, however, a vast majority of Bogleheads drive old cars until they can't be driven anymore. Luxury cars (or even new cars) are seemingly a rarity here.
Danny
BostonBoy

Post by BostonBoy »

2011 Honda Accord
gundlached

Post by gundlached »

I've had bad luck with used. Also lousy luck with Ford...they don't do recalls for brakes etc.

Currently have 2016 Toyota Avalon XLE. Get a 6 cylinder...after all these years with a 4 banger, it really is worth it to upgrade.

Check out tirerack.com for a set of steel wheels and winter tires. They do a great job mounting...a lost art. Will protect your new alloys in the winter and save the $200 per year in remounting.
Dontridetheindexdown

Post by Dontridetheindexdown »

Paid for and running!
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

bigguy8437 wrote:I'm about to make my first car purchase and I want to hear what Bogleheads like to drive. I'm looking for a sedan type, and something with good gas mileage and is very reliable. Not looking for anything flashy either.
Most popular makes seem to be Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Lexus
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

Check out Toyota Prius
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

For many years we always drove Honda and Acura cars but last 6 years its been 2006 Lexus sedan and 2007 Toyota SUV
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
sambb

Post by sambb »

i like porsche, lexus, and some exotics.
edge

Post by edge »

I like Jag, BMW, Porsche
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

This is not the car that I drive, but if I had a choice of a daily driver, maybe an Audi A1, or if cheaper, Honda Civic/Fit.

I like small cars.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I have a 97 Toyota Camry. My next vehicle will probably be a Subaru Outback.
Wiki
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Safe, reliable and possibly affordable, too.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
wander

Post by wander »

Bogleheads like reliable cars, same as any average Joe so they don't look like millionaires. Many of them choose between two brands (Toyota and Honda). :sharebeer
patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 »

If you need AWD, I've had good experience with Subarus. Drove my last one for 14+ years; hoping to beat that with the new one. New CVT has improved gas mileage, but still not stellar.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I prefer to let someone else drive.
When I do drive, I've enjoyed most any model of Mazda that I've had the opportunity to drive.
Zoom zoom 8-)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish »

2008 Subaru Outback 120,000 miles and going strong.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

bigguy8437 wrote:I'm about to make my first car purchase and I want to hear what Bogleheads like to drive. I'm looking for a sedan type, and something with good gas mileage and is very reliable. Not looking for anything flashy either.
I like to drive Toyota Landcruiser. All I can afford is Honda Pilot :D
There are so many existing threads on this very same subject. I am sure there was a pole once too. Pick your choice between Toyota and Honda. That's what most BHs drive.
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

ejvyas wrote:Check out Toyota Prius
And Prius v (wagon). It's quite roomy. Hard to beat the Prius line for fuel and maintenance costs.

Before the v, it was old rwd volvos that I maintained myself.
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
Standup

Post by Standup »

I drive a 2006 Acura TL that I bought new (for shame!) but it just crossed the 76,000 mile mark, and imagine I'll be driving it for at least another 10 years.
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

It's nearly always a good idea to use that forum "search" box at the top of the page to check on similar threads before starting a brand new one.

A search for "Boglehead" "car" yielded these, including one from just a few months ago:

viewtopic.php?t=110290

viewtopic.php?t=179157

viewtopic.php?t=185341
cfs

Post by cfs »

I'm looking for a sedan type, and something with good gas mileage and is very reliable. Not looking for anything flashy either.
In this case, go with a the Honda Accord.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

I LIKE to drive fast, road gripping sports cars (Corvette Z06) but I have a 2012 Honda Accord with 52k miles. The car has been nothing short of perfect.
mattshwink

Post by mattshwink »

Wife 2005 Honda Accord
Me 2010 Toyata RAV4

Both purchased new, both will be driven until too expensive to maintain
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

For any sort of question like this you need to sort out your needs/wants, prioritize and then use that information to find options that suit you. You can't just poll others. Bogleheads are not all identical clones and don't all drive the same vehicles. I happen to be a Porsche person so what I'd buy wouldn't be relevant to you. Cars are a very common topic here so don't overlook existing threads as a resource.

If you want feedback then provide as much information as possible about what you're looking for to help others help you. You've provided some information but try being a bit more specific. What's "good gas mileage"? Provide a number or range of what you're expecting. What's your budget? Flashy is another subjective matter. Provide examples of sedans that you find flashy and sedans that you find acceptable to your aesthetic preferences. Don't just assume that everyone else is identical to you no matter what the topic.

Definitely make sure you're considering total cost of ownership and not just the sticker on the vehicle. Others have mentioned checking into insurance but you'll also want to see what maintenance, wear items, fuel, etc are going to cost you.
goingup

Post by goingup »

How could there possibly be any consensus on brand?!

BH car? One you can afford (and enjoy) while still maxing out retirement accounts.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

I have a 2007 Hyundai Sonata (bought new) and the wife a 2012 Honda Pilot (bough used in 2013).
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

You sound like a perfect candidate for an Alticamcord6. Despite the various engineering differences, they are basically the same thing: comfortable, reliable, cheap (relatively), efficient, boring. This class is perfect for someone that is not into cars. For me, I would probably cause an accident after I pass out from boredom :mrgreen:

My daily driver is a Subaru WRX STI. It's loud, flashy (has an enormous wing), gets terrible fuel economy, and has a harsh ride. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Honda,
Mercedes.
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Honda Odyssey and Toyota Camry. Cheap to drive, insure and maintain - the way I like it.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

Paid off a 2015 Acura TLX last week. Love it.

Purchased a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited this past weekend for my wife. Love it as well.

Neither are the most economical choices, but we enjoy our vehicles.
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

Toyota Corolla - low cost, reliable, good gas mileage. Great car so far - 150,000+ miles
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Hmmmm.....like to drive....

I liked driving my 07 Lotus Elise. More handling, attention getting and fun than anything else I've driven. Sold to help pay son's college costs...plus I was ready to get out of it.

I would like to get a Honda CR-Z manual. The shifter is as slick as a Civic Si and there are plenty of engine swap supports available. Throwing in a K24 would certainly wake it up. Honda actually has a full supercharged upgrade kit available. I like 2 seaters and this little hybrid is the only one out there with a "real" transmission.

For a fun, everyday car, I'd like to get a new Subaru WRX. The car handles so much better than the Impreza or Crosstrek. Night and day (I own a Crosstrek). With the new 2.0 L engine and front mounted turbo, low RPM torque is much better than the old 2.5 L.

When it's really snowing out (my definition is that there's already 18 inches of snow on the ground and it's coming down at well over an inch an hour), the Wrangler Unlimited is my choice (and I own one). Equipped with tall, narrow snows and a rear limited slip, locking it into 4 wheel drive (don't confuse this with AWD) gives me the best chance to get where I need to go. It's horrible on gas, rides like a 70's pickup and is legendary for things failing. But resale value is better than most everything out there. It's one of those vehicles where you can order exactly what you want and it costs less than a 3 year old used one with the same equipment (I found this to be true before ordering mine). 4 doors, plenty of cargo space and if you want a convertible.....you have one. Heck, you can even take the doors off it!
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
DaufuskieNate

Post by DaufuskieNate »

I like to drive any car that is paid for with cash. Other than that, I really like my Subaru Forester.
jsapiandante

Post by jsapiandante »

I drive a 2009 Honda Accord with 120k miles in it. I do mostly my own maintenance if it isn't too complicated. The rest, I pay a good friend of mine who's a mechanic $300 every 2 years for major tune ups. I've had Honda's all my life as they're dependable and reliable. I've only had one major issue with my recent car which was my starter that gave out last year.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Geo prizm (Toyota corolla clone). good gas milage, super reliable. easy to maintain.
just frank

Post by just frank »

Nissan LEAF EV with a $200/mo lease.
United2008

Post by United2008 »

Mine: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (fully loaded) w 167k miles; bought used in 2004 with low miles for 20k under sticker.
Wife: 2015 Honda Odyssey Ex-L (bought new); low mileage used versions were literally $1000s more than buying new, and dealer had great financing offers

Hopefully the Jeep will soon be replaced (at least as daily driver) by a Tesla Model 3 (or perhaps an S). Before kids the wife drove a used Prius.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

You didn't get that info with the secret handshake? :)

Bogleheads is not a cult and they drive whatever they like just like anyone else does. Paid for and reliable are good things but that leaves a lot of variety in automobiles.
dave_k

Post by dave_k »

Not what you're looking for, and not very Boglehead-ish, but I like my old 2000 BMW M5. It's been pretty reliable, and quite fun to drive. Mileage is terrible but I drive very little and will probably keep it until it dies.
tinscale

Post by tinscale »

I prefer 4 cyl. Nissan Altima or Sentra because they have "non-interference" engines with real timing chains and not belts that have to be replaced to prevent catastrophic engine failure. Nissan 2.5L engine is awesome. For "$12-15,000 you should be able to find a late model 1-owner with less than 30k miles and clean carfax.
letsgobobby

deleted

Post by letsgobobby »

deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

When I first started out making low income I purchased a Toyota Corolla.
As my income grew and earned my financial freedom, I now drives a BMW.
I'll retire in about a month. :beer
Teague

Post by Teague »

I mainly drive a 2003 Ford Explorer, 196K on the odometer. For my son, next week I am buying a used 2015 Hyundai Elantra from a rental agency, to replace a 2003 Elantra GT with 162K miles we gave him a few years ago. He has a kid with some medical issues and needs reliable transportation. I also have a 2014 Ram truck for towing things, and a 1999 Corvette with 145K miles I am selling.
Semper Augustus