Do I want a house with a pool?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JonnyDVM

Do I want a house with a pool?

Post by JonnyDVM »

Looking for a new home I was thinking we would be in an area with a community pool. Now it's looking like that won't be the case. Worrying about costs for upkeep and increased liability I was thinking it would be better not to have one. Now I'm wondering if I should be looking for a house with a pool since it's so darn hot around here. What does it cost to maintain one? What is the insurance cost impact? Do you regret having a pool or is it worth every penny? Additionally, we have a 9 month old. I was sort of worried about pool accidents but I'm wondering if that's a dumb fear for normal careful parents.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
centrifuge41

Re: Do I want a house with a pool?

Post by centrifuge41 »

Long time ago, we lived in a house with a pool. The pool was "free" when comparing the house to comparables.

We hired a person to come and dump chemicals in the pool every ~2 weeks or so. It was about $70 a month. Not sure about liability/insurance impacts.

With a young child, be aware that pools are more dangerous than guns. I know families that have bought houses and filled the pool in because they have a young child.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Costs vary a lot by size, location and how much you are willing to do yourself. I'd ask around the neighborhoods if you are considering.

We have one. I would never put one in but we enjoy using it. We live in mid--Atlantic and we probably get 3-3.5 months of use depending on the season (we don't heat the pool). We do the daily/weekly maintenance ourselves. Not time consuming but it is always there to be done. We have a service open and close for the season.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Regardless, you would need to install a child proof locking pool cover and/or a tall fence with locking gate to make the pool safe. So take that cost into account.

I think if you have to wonder how much it costs to take care of a pool, you can't afford one. It should basically be pocket change/money you can burn, because people consistently complain about how much their pool costs to maintain. When that happens I think it takes the joy out of owning the pool.

We are planning to put a pool in our new house. It's money we can afford to spend fairly easily. Otherwise we wouldn't do it.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

centrifuge41 wrote: I know families that have bought houses and filled the pool in because they have a young child.
That seems silly. Did they get rid of their cars, too?

We don't have a pool at home, but our 4 year old loves the pool at her grandmother's house, the pool at her daycare, and every lake, beach, etc.
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Prior home had a pool and we loved it. I am a fan of pools if you have kids at home who will enjoy it like ours did. Once kids are gone, I don't think it would be worth it. We did not find the cost to be a big deal and did the maintenance ourselves. Markup at pool supply stores appears to be very high - ended up buying most supplies on Amazon. For me, the cost of the pool was more of a time issue than a money one. You need to stay on top of it all summer long.

Also, if you are interested in maintaining the water chemistry yourself, check out http://www.troublefreepool.com and click on the "Pool School" link. They are kind of the bogleheads of pools (do it yourself with lower cost and better results).
Last edited by Traveller on Fri May 27, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
NMJack

Post by NMJack »

No. You can use the money you save on pool utilities/upkeep to turn your A/C up a bit. You'll be cooler 24/7. 8-)
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

In Phoenix, Yes. In Fargo, No.

Unfortunately I live in Fargo. :oops:

Pools do come with work and cost. If you feel you would enjoy having a pool and don't mind the work and can afford the cost. I vote pool. :beer
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

One of my coworkers just spent $20k removing his. Here, it's not as simple as dumping dirt in it and planting grass. We have to completely remove all concrete, pipes, etc.

You don't mention where you live but say how hot it is. I can see it making sense in Phoenix or Houston but in New England, for the 4 weekend days a year where it's hot, not snowing or raining, I don't see the point. I can go to my local YMCA and swim. My wife has always wanted a pool to sit next to in the sun. I tell her to go sit on our deck, close her eyes and pretend there's a pool.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
queso

Post by queso »

Subscribed (just to see the discussion). We have kicked around putting one in for years now, but I keep coming back to the hassle factor vs. usage not being worth it. It will eat up a big piece of the yard, require constant upkeep and I suspect it will be one of those things that we will use a ton the first season or two, but then usage will taper off.

As you can see, we never made up our minds completely so maybe I can learn something from this thread. :happy
Toons

Post by Toons »

No.
Headaches.
One day you will wish you could fill it in :shock:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Every place I've ever lived has had a public pool nearby. So...no. There are advantages to living in the city. This is one of them.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
William4u

Post by William4u »

Pools are a "love it or hate it" sort of thing. I've met people who regret their pool, and some who thought it was a great thing for their family. I am in the latter group. It does take time and money. It is a labor of love if you kids love it, and their friend love it. It can become a cherished memory. If not, then it can become a pain.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: You don't mention where you live but say how hot it is. I can see it making sense in Phoenix or Houston but in New England, for the 4 weekend days a year where it's hot, not snowing or raining, I don't see the point. I can go to my local YMCA and swim. My wife has always wanted a pool to sit next to in the sun. I tell her to go sit on our deck, close her eyes and pretend there's a pool.
I always used to laugh when I came across homes in Vermont with pools.
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

I can only speak to my experience, but installing a pool at my house (colder climate region) was by far the worst financial decision I have made in my entire life.

Prior to the decision, I only knew that whenever a pool was handy, I enjoyed jumping in. My wife has MS, so one of the few exercises she can handle without overheating her body is swimming. So we went ahead and installed a pool. It turns out that we wildly over-estimated our motivation to swim. I think part of it is that we have central AC (again because of the MS and overheating), and thus our incentive to dive in on a hot summer day proved much lower than if it was our only choice for cooling off. We only use it a handful of times per year.

In addition to the installation costs, the annual cost in chemicals, opening/closing, maintenance, and extra electricity runs close to $2,000, and some years has been more than 2.5K. A realtor friend of mine says that it is 50/50 whether a pool will increase or decrease the value of the home. In my area, many buyers do not want the headache and thus are eliminated from the demand side of the housing market. I imagine in warmer climates, the situation is different. Nevertheless, my local tax assessor had no hesitation slapping a 20K increase on my property value.

One other point, I personally have never enjoyed scooping up dead frogs, mice, and other critters from the pool. So there's a pretty strong guilt thing going on as well. Plus climate change and all that (it triples our monthly electricity usage when open, even though I run the pump as little as possible)

I think if we lived in a milder climate, it might have made sense. But in my own case, the pool has been a financial catastrophe. We are currently deciding whether to fill it in, which will cost a minimum of 5K. Probably closer to 10K including re-landscaping the area.

At least you can sell a boat, which is another investment that seems to cause a lot of soul searching about bad decision-making. A pool is a never ending drain on resources that costs money to dispose of.

Again, the decision will vary enormously by your circumstance and I can only speak to my own experience. I am sure there are many others who get great usage and benefits from their pools. My only advice would be to seriously consider whether you have the drive to maximize usage. By far the better option in my case would have been to become very good friends with someone else who has a pool.
teen persuasion

Post by teen persuasion »

Just some random thoughts that occurred to me while reading thru the thread:

What is your family work situation? Most families that I know with pools have a SAHM and/or are teachers with the summer off, to have time to lifeguard the kids in the pool.

Landscaping? Are you looking at brand-new developments (moonscape with no trees) or a mature neighborhood with mature shade trees? Our trees shade the house and yard well, keeping it cooler, but leaves constantly dropping in the pool would be a drawback.

Size of yard? My brother's fenced-in pool area takes up most of his suburban yard.

Local codes? How strict are each of the communities you are considering? Enforcement in my area seems to be increasing, especially after a child pool drowning incident. Many people put in pools, or even just ponds, without researching rules. Later they find themselves subject to fines and the choice of either expensive alterations or total removal to comply with codes. Fences (materials, height, locks), setback, covers, heating systems, noise, filling source, warning sensors, etc. are all issues to consider.
Levett

Post by Levett »

"Pools are a "love it or hate it" sort of thing."

My experience is that we sometimes hate it and sometimes love it.

But the love is more intense than the hate. :wink:

And if you have one, don't simply budget for chemicals. My experience with sand filters, pumps, chlorinators, heaters, liners and the like is that they are often poorly made (captive audience, I'm afraid). And costs for equipment run in the thousands.

Lev
reriodan

Post by reriodan »

No, you want a friendly neighbor with a pool.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

We're retired and moved into our retirement home in NC with a salt water pool. We weren't looking for a pool -- we're not swimmers -- but the house had everything we wanted besides the pool. And while 25% of our neighbors have pools, the neighborhood also has a community pool and swim club! Our grandkids stayed with us the first summer for two weeks and loved the pool. My adult son stayed with us last summer and enjoyed our pool and did laps at the community pool. I enjoy some of the pool upkeep and my wife and I enjoy sitting on the patio just chilling out near the pool.

Our pool was 8 years old when we moved into our home; we were clueless about the cost of the pool, but some have estimated around $70K -- it's around a 18K gal capacity with an adjoining spa, with a peeble tec surface, with a heater, and with entry-less features originally designed for a diabled child. So, the first year, I had a pool guy come over ($40 per visit bi-monthly) and help until I got the hang of things. I've had to replace the robotic cleaner for around $365; some of the tiles around my skimmers were getting loose so I had someone repair those for $300; changed the filter cartridges for $200 (to be replaced every 3-5 years); changed the electronic cell for $525 (to be replaced every 5 years); salt and other chemicals to be added to the pool average around $50 annually. I don't find the electricity or gas to run the pool to be very high (though I never heat the pool or spa, which can be very expensive) -- I think the AC here costs 90 percent of my electric bill. Nonetheless, pools can be a black hole of upkeep and costs -- one of my neighbors had to resurface the pool lining -- a leak I suspected and I watched with alarm the time and effort it took to get this fixed. Amazon for pool supplies is your best friend. As someone said, the mark-up for equipment at the pool service companies is outrageous.

We live in a development where the homes are all custom built beginning in 2004, but since we've been here we've seen neighbors who have added pools to their homes. And a number of retired folks, like us, with no children have pools. In my neighborhood, a pool probably does add some value to the home.
btenny

Post by btenny »

I have owned two houses with pools in our backyard in the Phoenix area for 26 years. We had kids then and were young. We loved the pool and used it a ton because it was right out the back door and private. The kids used it all summer almost every day. We had tons of pool parties and loved just setting out by the pool many evenings. The kids kept using the pool while in college even after they moved out to there own apartments. It was nice to have them around using the pool. Then they graduated and moved away. :( When we moved the cost was around $100 per month for electricity and chemicals and some regular maintenance. I did most of the pool cleaning and that took at least a half hour several times per week. Owning a pool is like having a pet or a baby. You need to watch it all the time and constantly care for it. We could never find a good pool cleaning person in Phoenix. We tried many times. I also lived in a condo when we first got married that had a community pool and patio area. It was 3 blocks or so from our house so we only used it a few times.

When we downsized to a smaller retirement home in Phoenix we only looked at homes with no pool. That eliminated over 50% of the homes in Phoenix but we did not want another pool. We bought a home that does not have a private pool or a community pool. So our HOA fee is very reasonable. We can close up our home and leave it for months with no worry about pool care. We don't have the added expense. We don't have the added maintenance. We are happy.

Your needs may vary. Good Luck.
edge

Post by edge »

No. Join a gym or fitness club that has a pool.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

You could put in an above ground pool. It's a lot easier to get rid of if you decide you don't want a pool after all.

I know a guy who had an above ground pool for nearly ten years. He used it often. Then he moved to a house with a pool, which he loved.

My sister and her husband got tired of their above ground pool after only one season. They are now pool free. Your mileage will vary.

Given I can visit my local town pool for $5 a visit, or spend $80 for a summer pass or $200 for a family summer pass, I don't think I would put in even an above ground pool.

Good luck with your decision!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I plan off knocking off work early today and putting my feet up with a good book next to my back-yard pool. No need to go to a gym nor go to a public pool with noisy kids and who-knows-whats-in-the-water. No need to drive in Memorial Day weekend traffic. No need to worry about driving home after having a few gin-and-tonics poolside.
This decision is really about lifestyle/personal preference more than it is cost in my opinion. But speaking of cost - yes you might spend $1000 per year on upkeep - but if you don't have your own backyard oasis how much might you spend on a membership somewhere and additional weekend get-a-ways? To me - my backyard oasis is a bargain.
joebh

Post by joebh »

JonnyDVM wrote:Do you regret having a pool or is it worth every penny? Additionally, we have a 9 month old. I was sort of worried about pool accidents but I'm wondering if that's a dumb fear for normal careful parents.
When we had young children we had an in-ground pool.

The cost wasn't too bad. More water, electricity and chemicals. And time - pools require regular attention or their chemistry goes bad quickly.

As far as safety - you absolutely must never let young children near a pool alone. Not even for 1 minute.
You must have a fence with a locked gate. And the fence must be as high as required by local laws. Don't skip that or you could be in for some serious liability should an accident occur.

For us, we were very careful, and the time and money were totally worthwhile. Once the kids were gone, we filled the pool in, since we hardly ever went in it.-
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

We had a pool growing up and I have lots of great memories from it. Having birthday pool parties with friends over. Midnight swimming because my dad put up a light near the pool. We had a fence around it and a deck with a locked gate. If older kids really wanted in they could've but we never had a problem with that, at least not that we knew of.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
gatsu2000

Post by gatsu2000 »

I would not recommend it. I had a pool and it only caused me headaches.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

JonnyDVM wrote:Additionally, we have a 9 month old.
Don't get a pool.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

My neighbor just spent $15K for a new pool liner, the pool takes 30,000 gallons of water to fill it up. If you pay for water, you will pay through the nose to fill it up. In the time they've lived in the home, they've used the pool less than 10 times.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
emp2b3

Post by emp2b3 »

Have you looked into a salt water pool? Not truly that "salty" and relatively low maintenance.
Remember that for children only a life jacket has been shown to prevent drownings. Get a secure, locked gate and make sure to use it correctly.
http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disaste ... ool-safety
It is of course a personal decision and we love ours (and so do the kids that use it!)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:My neighbor just spent $15K for a new pool liner, the pool takes 30,000 gallons of water to fill it up. If you pay for water, you will pay through the nose to fill it up. In the time they've lived in the home, they've used the pool less than 10 times.
What did they do with the water they took out to re-line? Around here they pump it into a giant bladder tank and then return it to the pool. That said, capital replacement (liner, pumps, Polaris etc) can add up.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

They dumped the water into the sewer.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

reriodan wrote:No, you want a friendly neighbor with a pool.

+1

And the same pertains to boats.
Friar1610
ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone »

joebh wrote:
JonnyDVM wrote:Do you regret having a pool or is it worth every penny? Additionally, we have a 9 month old. I was sort of worried about pool accidents but I'm wondering if that's a dumb fear for normal careful parents.

The cost wasn't too bad. More water, electricity and chemicals. And time - pools require regular attention or their chemistry goes bad quickly.

As far as safety - you absolutely must never let young children near a pool alone. Not even for 1 minute.
You must have a fence with a locked gate. And the fence must be as high as required by local laws. Don't skip that or you could be in for some serious liability should an accident occur.

For us, we were very careful, and the time and money were totally worthwhile. Once the kids were gone, we filled the pool in, since we hardly ever went in it.-
If you have a child and can afford it, there is no reason not to do ISR training. It's difficult for me to remember having spent better money. Our first child started at 10 months old, and our second will do the same.

https://www.infantswim.com/
njboater74

Post by njboater74 »

I bought a house with a pool 2 years ago. There was no apparent premium for the pool, as the price was inline with other houses in the neighborhood. I'd say buying a house that already has a pool is the most economic way to do it. Installing them is very expensive.

If you do get a pool, then maintenance isn't so difficult, and something you'll pick up on quickly. It's a great experience for children and bringing extended family together.

Our friends over at TroubleFreePool.com forum take a Boglehead-ish approach towards pool maintenance that fits in with the philosophy of simplicity, DIY, and proven results (hint: you can buy most pool supplies at your local supermarket).

http://www.troublefreepool.com/
When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world - 'No, YOU move'--Captain America, Boglehead
chmcnm

Post by chmcnm »

We kicked the idea around when we bought our house. Glad we didn't do it. More work. Safety issue with small kids (and older ones). All it takes is one time. We know families with pools. I don't think they get their money's worth.

Our kids are teenagers (one on the swim team). They've always preferred to go to the local pools. More to do and they can go with friends. Plus when they got older we could use the gym at the local rec center. If I lived in an area far from a public pool maybe. Does grandma live nearby? Maybe put a pool at her house? Go visit, use pool, go home.
Garthilk

Post by Garthilk »

I've been toying with the idea of adding a pool. I think I've subconsciously convinced that its part of a conspiracy to keep my kids at home as they get ready to hit the tweens and be the "hang out" house for their peers.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

I have a 15 month old, and this greatly impacted our decision not to buy a home with a pool 2 year ago.

But I plan to dig a swimming pool in the backyard in 2024. In fact, I was just thinking about where I would put the pool an hour ago as I was grilling a steak outside :-)
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

We have a largish chlorine/H20 rectangle in the front yard. Wish we didn't. Wished the same thing when we bought the house, but we purchased the abode anyway.

We've lived in the house for twenty-two years, and this is how it's gone: First few years, we covered that pool up, tried to ignore we had it. Then the kids got older and water safe, and we bit the bullet and redid the deck and plaster lining, actually began using it.

For two months every summer. And even then, not a whole lot. (We live in Southern California, if you're wondering.)

Younger kid bailed out of pool use when he entered the 9th grade, water polo team and swim team (in that order.) I asked him if he wanted to maybe ... ahm ... practice in it? He sneered: "THAT thing? It's too small."

And that was pretty much it for family participation in and around the pool. I spent a few more seasons doing laps in it three times a week, but now even that has stopped. (I'm a dried up old monkey skeleton). So now the pool just sits there, evaporating in the warm, California air ... except now there's a water shortage and we have to keep the damn thing covered to slow down evaporation. So we're right back where we started, two decades ago.

My vote? It would be no. You don't want a pool.
JeffAL

Post by JeffAL »

We had a pool growing up. It was great aside from the annoying upkeep.

When the wife and I were house shopping a few years ago, I refused to even consider a house with a pool.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

chmcnm wrote:We kicked the idea around when we bought our house. Glad we didn't do it. More work. Safety issue with small kids (and older ones). All it takes is one time. We know families with pools. I don't think they get their money's worth.
This is why asking how much a pool costs to maintain is irrelevant. You get a pool, or a house with a pool, because you want the experience regardless of the cost - the cost is a minimal or non-factor. And as others have mentioned, I'd rather have my teenage kids hang out with their teenage friends at my house, under my indirect supervision, than at someone else's house, at their pool, when I don't know if there's a pool cover or a bin of vodka or an unlocked gun safe.

Let me add I don't think enough of you have taken into consideration global warming. In these parts, summer now lasts from about April to October. It's not always a hot summer, but most of it is warmish and very pleasant for outdoor activities. Forty years ago, sometimes summer never came in the Pacific Northwest. Now we get 90 degree days in April. This is a real change. It makes a pool more feasible. In 100 years we'll be 5 degrees warmer and 100 feet closer to the coast. Our home values will rise exponentially as all the Californians migrate this way and abandon their desertified cities. They will want the familiar comforts of home, like a pool. My great-great-great grandchildren will be ready for them. :P
tmsul100

Post by tmsul100 »

1) We've lived in a home with a pool for 20+ years (we live in California desert) and I use it almost every day. In the winter we heat the spa, a lot. 2) They're pricey: maintenance, electricity, equipment repair, etc. For us, worth it. 3) When our kids were small we put up and fence with a locked gate, at some expense. I would do that again for the peace of mind. 4) Kids LOVE a pool and it wears them out - sun, fresh air, water, exercise. We use it with our three year old grandson now - he loves it. Good luck with your decision. We want to be thoughtful with our money, but we want to enjoy our lives too. Our pool has been a pleasure.
normaldude

Post by normaldude »

Swimming pools are more dangerous than guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0waR0LBpo
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (pool).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
joebh

Post by joebh »

ERISA Stone wrote:
joebh wrote:

If you have a child and can afford it, there is no reason not to do ISR training. It's difficult for me to remember having spent better money. Our first child started at 10 months old, and our second will do the same.

https://www.infantswim.com/
Both boys went to a "swim safety" class.
It wasn't expensive, and they both learned to float and get themselves to the poolside at a very young age.

That said, we never left them alone in a pool until they were much stronger swimmers. But they learned to swim quite rapidly having daily access.
Last edited by joebh on Fri May 27, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

normaldude wrote:Swimming pools are more dangerous than guns

I've seen that before and really wonder... There are about 3500 drownings per year in the US and presumably many of them occur outside of swimming pools. There are about 19,000 firearms suicides and 11,000 firearms homicides in the US each year. Figuring out the proper denominator is tough, though.

The safety of a pool is a major consideration from a consumer standpoint, and the risks are real... but locking covers, locking gates, and pool alarms go a long way toward mitigating the risks. Comparing pools to a firearm is probably not an accurate way to help a consumer decide if a pool is safe or not.
joebh

Post by joebh »

And cars are even more dangerous than both.
joebh

Post by joebh »

letsgobobby wrote:

I've seen that before and really wonder... There are about 3500 drownings per year in the US and presumably many of them occur outside of swimming pools. There are about 19,000 firearms suicides and 11,000 firearms homicides in the US each year. Figuring out the proper denominator is tough, though.

The safety of a pool is a major consideration from a consumer standpoint, and the risks are real... but locking covers, locking gates, and pool alarms go a long way toward mitigating the risks. Comparing pools to a firearm is probably not an accurate way to help a consumer decide if a pool is safe or not.
The qualifier that should have been added is "for children".
See this article: http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2001/07 ... olsvsguns/
Comparing pools to a firearm is probably not an accurate way to help a consumer decide if a pool is safe or not.
I agree.
normaldude

Post by normaldude »

joebh wrote:

And cars are even more dangerous than both.
Agreed. And this is why I think USA needs more mass transit rail options, so more people have the option to live without a car, if they want.

But in the meantime, in most of America, you need a car to live a normal life, to get to work, shopping, dating, social events, etc.

On the other hand, backyard swimming pools are not a necessity. They don't have lifeguards 24/7, but they do have little kids running around nearby.
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

Do you want a pool and would you use it? If you do not want the upkeep of a pool - then do not get one.

A pool - like any other attractive nuisance - requires one to protect entry and observe it when being used. Most municipalities require a locking fence be installed around the pool and you should enforce that an adult be present at all times when kids are in the pool. Simple common sense will prevent most tragedies.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

My parents have a pool, as do my sister and my brother. My parents used the pool for a few decades when their kids were teens and when the grandkids were young. Now, no one uses their 20x40 foot pool and removing it will be a MAJOR expense. My brother bought a home with a pool. Their kids and our kids used it for maybe a dozen years and have pretty much ignored it for the past dozen years (other than to care for it weekly). My sister bought a home with a pool and so far, she and her kids HAVE used it pretty regularly for the two decades they've owned it, so it really all depends on the individuals involved. KNOW yourself and decide accordingly.