One Week "Sabbatical"

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fishmonger

One Week "Sabbatical"

Post by fishmonger »

So I am taking a "break" from work this summer to recharge and reset some things. The details are long, so I won't bore you all with them. I will essentially have the full summer off, after not taking more than a week's vacation for the last 12 years.

My wife, in her infinite awesomeness, is pushing for me to take a week somewhere, by myself. A few points: I'm 34 years old, love to fish and hike, enjoy craft beer and eating well. More of a small/college town person than a big city guy. I live in NH, but would be willing to fly anywhere in the lower 48. Time frame would be July or August

Any ideas?
The Wizard

Re: One Week "Sabbatical"

Post by The Wizard »

Sure, do Colorado.
July and August are perfect.
One week isn't enough, take two...
Attempted new signature...
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

You have the whole summer, so you should do something not in your normal comfort zone. You need to go to New York City. AND San Francisco. And Seattle. And Chicago.

Only then, can you go to Ft Collins AND Boulder.

And why not Cuba? Mexico? Canada?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

livesoft wrote:You have the whole summer, so you should do something not in your normal comfort zone. You need to go to New York City. AND San Francisco. And Seattle. And Chicago.

Only then, can you go to Ft Collins AND Boulder.

And why not Cuba? Mexico? Canada?
Well I have two kids, and want to spend the majority of the summer with them. That's why it'd be a one week deal.

And I appreciate the thoughts, but I've been to NY, SF and Chicago. Been there, done that. Quite frankly, going to a major city for a week bores me.

I have given Cuba some thought, due to the fishing element and general cultural shock
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Take the kids canoeing along the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. And the NYC, San Francisco, ..., Cuba, ..., Montreal, Vancouver, Alaska, ....

Road trip!

Yes, I realize you wrote "alone".
lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey »

Anywhere in the northern part of the West would do the trick - Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana are all gorgeous in summer and have loads of hiking/fishing/microbreweries. Throw in some river rafting for good measure and you'll want to go every summer.

ETA: In Colorado, I'd stick to the SW part and do the Durango-Silverton railroad, Ouray, Durango. In Idaho, lots of choices around Sun Valley. In Wyoming, Jackson Hole, the Tetons and a quick run into Yellowstone (you can avoid the tourists by getting off the beaten path, most don't get more than 1,000 yards from the main attractions). And in Montana, Glacier is simply fantastic and Whitefish is a fun little town with a really good dining scene.
Last edited by lostinjersey on Wed May 11, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

My wife has a magnet on the fridge with a picture of Eleanor Roosevelt and a quote "Do one thing every day that scares you". The previous advice to step out of your comfort zone will pay dividends with lasting memories.

Why limit yourself to the lower 48? A week of fishing at a fly-in camp on a lake in Alaska, or even a jaunt to New Zealand for some fly fishing would be a dream vacation.
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

lostinjersey wrote:Anywhere in the northern part of the West would do the trick - Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana are all gorgeous in summer and have loads of hiking/fishing/microbreweries. Throw in some river rafting for good measure and you'll want to go every summer.

ETA: In Colorado, I'd stick to the SW part and do the Durango-Silverton railroad, Ouray, Durango. In Idaho, lots of choices around Sun Valley. In Wyoming, Jackson Hole, the Tetons and a quick run into Yellowstone (you can avoid the tourists by getting off the beaten path, most don't get more than 1,000 yards from the main attractions). And in Montana, Glacier is simply fantastic and Whitefish is a fun little town with a really good dining scene.
Montana and Wyoming are the frontrunners right now. Have never been to that part of the country
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

vested1 wrote:My wife has a magnet on the fridge with a picture of Eleanor Roosevelt and a quote "Do one thing every day that scares you". The previous advice to step out of your comfort zone will pay dividends with lasting memories.

Why limit yourself to the lower 48? A week of fishing at a fly-in camp on a lake in Alaska, or even a jaunt to New Zealand for some fly fishing would be a dream vacation.
Alaska is my dream vacation, but budget may have an impact
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

If I had two weeks and looking for a place for world class fishing and hiking, I would go to the Wind River mountains in western Wyoming. I usually spend a couple days hiking in and a couple out which is why I suggest two weeks or at least ten days. They have lots of rainbows and cutthroats in the mountain lakes above treeline and I find it a great way to recharge my batteries.
lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey »

fishmonger wrote:
lostinjersey wrote:Anywhere in the northern part of the West would do the trick - Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana are all gorgeous in summer and have loads of hiking/fishing/microbreweries. Throw in some river rafting for good measure and you'll want to go every summer.

Montana and Wyoming are the frontrunners right now. Have never been to that part of the country
I'm from those parts. You really can't go wrong with anywhere in western Montana (Big Sky/Gallatin Valley is another fine option) or most of Wyoming. Gorgeous, gorgeous country.
pmj78910

Post by pmj78910 »

If you love to fish and hike, I've heard great things about Orvis Fly-Fishing trips. I don't know what the prices are though.

http://www.orvis.com/fly-fishing-trips
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

fishmonger wrote:
vested1 wrote:My wife has a magnet on the fridge with a picture of Eleanor Roosevelt and a quote "Do one thing every day that scares you". The previous advice to step out of your comfort zone will pay dividends with lasting memories.

If Alaska is a dream but unattainable on your budget I suggest renting a house or cabin in the Pittsburg, NH area. Stock up on supplies, hang out, think and see the local sites. Plenty of outdoor things to do or not do. It's up to what you feel like doing that day. Relax around the cabin or go canoeing, 4 wheeling, etc.

No matter where you go or what you do, have fun. :sharebeer
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

fishmonger wrote:Alaska is my dream vacation, but budget may have an impact
Hmmm... I visited Alaska many years ago and don't recall it being noticeably more expensive than the lower 48. If that's a "dream vacation", I'd definitely look into it some!

A couple of unusual options:

Volunteer somewhere for a week. Check out WWOOF, for example. Free room and board, and you work for about half of each day helping out on an organic farm (and learning a thing or two!) Or you could travel somewhere to help out with a Habitat for Humanity build, or trail maintenance at a National or State park somewhere, etc.

Try a "learning vacation". Find a seminar/workshop/retreat in an subject you're interested in. A lot of these tend to be a bit on the hippy-dippy woo-woo side (yoga, meditation, etc.), not that there's anything wrong with that. But you can also find ones on photography, writing, music, sailing/kayaking... even fishing. :-)

Or... road trip! Maybe cover all or some of Route 66, the Lincoln Highway, the Alaskan Highway, etc.
Stay on target...
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

SquawkIdent wrote:
fishmonger wrote:

If Alaska is a dream but unattainable on your budget I suggest renting a house or cabin in the Pittsburg, NH area. Stock up on supplies, hang out, think and see the local sites. Plenty of outdoor things to do or not do. It's up to what you feel like doing that day. Relax around the cabin or go canoeing, 4 wheeling, etc.

Pittsburg is great, but it's a 3 hr drive from home. I can go there anytime. I'm looking for something a little more epic if you will...
mhc

Post by mhc »

Fort Collins, Colorado

Huge beer seen. Close to fly fishing, hiking, camping. Poudre Canyon (Hwy 14) has lots of options with few people. You can easily go hiking for the day and see no one. Lot's of mountain lakes to fish. You may need to acclimate to the altitude.

2 hours NW of Fort Collins is Saratoga, Wyoming. I have heard that it has some of the best fly fishing in the country. There are hot springs in town. Fairly remote.
Estate_Esq

Post by Estate_Esq »

Maui.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

fishmonger wrote:
SquawkIdent wrote:
fishmonger wrote:

Pittsburg is great, but it's a 3 hr drive from home. I can go there anytime. I'm looking for something a little more epic if you will...
Okay if that's the case...I vote for Alaska. Make it work. It will be worth it, trust me. :sharebeer
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

SquawkIdent wrote:
fishmonger wrote:
SquawkIdent wrote:
fishmonger wrote:

Okay if that's the case...I vote for Alaska. Make it work. It will be worth it, trust me. :sharebeer
This board is starting to persuade me! Seward?
daveatca

Did someone say beer?

Post by daveatca »

Asheville, NC
Topic Author
fishmonger

Re: Did someone say beer?

Post by fishmonger »

daveatca wrote:Asheville, NC
Asheville is on the list as well
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Ah, you beat me to it!

Or go further west towards the tip of NC. Rafting in the Nantahala Gorge, etc.
It's "Roth", not "ROTH". Senator William Roth was a person, not an acronym.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Years ago, I flew to Portland OR and rode my bicycle to Seattle: up the Columbia River gorge to Hood River, then Mt Hood, Mt Adams, Mt St Helens, Mt Ranier, then down into Seattle. It was epic. No camping, but stayed in small hotels every night with nearby bar.

Ft Collins, CO is great, too. You can go up the Poudre River for fishing, rafting, kayaking. Then on to Boulder if you like.

I've got a week on the Outer Banks, NC scheduled in July and a week on the Texas Gulf Coast in August planned. Just veg and fish.

It is not clear to me if you want to do camping or stay in motels.
ems2013

Post by ems2013 »

I'm in NH also. You might consider the TX Gulf Coast around South Padre Island for your week. It will be wicked hot but the beaches are beautiful and the water temps will be lovely. Federal snapper season is open June - mid-July. When we went, the snapper fishing was fantastic and my husband also caught a shark. There's easy access to the bay side (Laguna Madre), which averages 3 ft depth so wade fishing is popular if you don't want a charter. Lots of local restaurants will cook up your fish for you, too. Wherever you go, I'm sure it will be wonderful!
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Former Alaskan here. For an epic fishing trip there is no substitute to Alaska. Nothing else is remotely close unless perhaps you do something like a deep sea fishing trip to Costa Rica or the equivalent.

For lower 48 epic adventure I'd suggest a boundary waters canoe trip. Lots of outfitters do fishing trips up there. For example: http://www.elyoutfitters.com/boundary-w ... ishing.htm

Alaska is a whole different topic. If you decide you want that you have a bazillion options depending on the region of Alaska and type of fishing you want to do.
supernova72

Post by supernova72 »

Have you ever been to Seattle WA? I live here and fishing is very popular and July is mid 70's with ZERO humidity. One of the better places to taste local craft beer as well. There are litterally dozens of breweries within a 10M radius.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sea ... ORM=HDRSC2

http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

supernova72 wrote:Have you ever been to Seattle WA? I live here and fishing is very popular and July is mid 70's with ZERO humidity. One of the better places to taste local craft beer as well. There are litterally dozens of breweries within a 10M radius.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sea ... ORM=HDRSC2

http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/
I have a very good friend who lives in Seattle, so we have plans to visit at some point. Having this much time off, this summer, could be a once in a lifetime chance to do or go somewhere that I otherwise would not have the opportunity.

Thank you everyone for the replies! I think at this point the short list is Alaska or Wyoming/Montana. Time to do some research!
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

texasdiver wrote:Former Alaskan here. For an epic fishing trip there is no substitute to Alaska. Nothing else is remotely close unless perhaps you do something like a deep sea fishing trip to Costa Rica or the equivalent.

For lower 48 epic adventure I'd suggest a boundary waters canoe trip. Lots of outfitters do fishing trips up there. For example: http://www.elyoutfitters.com/boundary-w ... ishing.htm

Alaska is a whole different topic. If you decide you want that you have a bazillion options depending on the region of Alaska and type of fishing you want to do.
texasdiver, I will be PMing you if I get that far
brito11

Post by brito11 »

I recommend Ithaca, NY! It's in the Finger Lakes region. Absolutely gorgeous during the summer. Hiking + lakes + gorges + Cornell ice cream. :)
hardrain

Post by hardrain »

22twain wrote:
Ah, you beat me to it!

Do both! Rafting, hiking, craft beer, repeat :).
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

fishmonger wrote:
texasdiver wrote:Former Alaskan here. For an epic fishing trip there is no substitute to Alaska. Nothing else is remotely close unless perhaps you do something like a deep sea fishing trip to Costa Rica or the equivalent.

texasdiver, I will be PMing you if I get that far
It comes down to what kind of fishing you want to do.

If you want to do saltwater fishing off boats for things like salmon and halibut then your best bets are probably one of the lodges in Southeast Alaska that have their own charter boats. Like this one that I happen to be familiar with: http://elfincoveresort.com/ but there are many others around SE Alaska. There are lots of similar places along Kodiak Island as well. Kodiak is a lot more exposed though so a stretch of bad weather can ruin an offshore fishing trip much easier than in Southeast Alaska which is much more sheltered.

If you want to do flyfishing in rivers for salmon then your best bets are probably one of the resorts along Kodiak Island or Bristol Bay. There are many options. The Nushagak River in Bristol Bay is especially good but won't have the dramatic mountain scenery of Southeast Alaska: http://nushagakriverfishinglodge.com/

If you want to do lake fly fishing then there are many lake lodges in interior Alaska that are accessed by float plane.

Whatever you do, if you are coming all the way from the lower 48 to fish in Alaska then you definitely want to find a location off the road system that is only reachable by plane or boat. There are lots of fishermen in Alaska and very few roads which means that pretty much any good fishing spot anywhere in Alaska that is accessible by road will have bumper to bumper traffic and elbow to elbow fishermen during the peak times of year. It is an enormous state but to get anywhere truly interesting you have to get off the road system.
vtBob

Post by vtBob »

Iceland
jane1

Post by jane1 »

Consider Idaho, if you are considering WY, MT.
Or Boundary Waters in MN. I knew someone who would go there fishing every year for a couple of weeks. Lakes, Waterways, Canoeing, Camping, Scenery. Unless you want mountains and hiking too.

Oregon coast is great too. And it isn't as crowded as CA or WA coast.

Edit: looks like texasdiver already suggested Boundary Waters
GoFish

Post by GoFish »

I'd choose from Montana, Wyoming, or Colorado.

IMO, a slight edge goes to Colorado because I think the backcountry fishing opportunities are slightly better.

The Wind River area is pretty special, too, for backcountry fishing. My memories are slightly tainted by some of the most rotten August weather I've ever experienced, though.

The Idaho/Wyoming/Montana corner would be my choice if only considering river fishing for trout. You'll have a fair amount of company on the popular rivers.

There is something pretty magical about casting for native greenback cutthroat in a lake at 11,000 ft in Colorado. Maybe it's the hypoxia 8-)
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Alaska? This year? Likely all lodging is already booked up solid- when I went there years ago I booked 11 months in advance for some areas!
Agree on Montana and Colorado-- but you missed central Oregon (one of the craft beer capitals (bend), some of the top fly fishing , tons of wilderness areas, and you don't have to stay in Portland-- you could base out of Eugene and go to the cascades via the McKenzie and then go to the Deschutes and others, go to the coast for deep sea fishing). ( for Montana also include flathead lake, for Colorado check out Gunnison area)
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

mouses

Post by mouses »

I'm still thinking two weeks, despite the OP's saying one week. One week minus travel to and from, does not leave much time for the actual experience.
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

Tamales wrote:You might peruse this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_n ... ted_States
That's where I started. I would love to see check out Bryce Canyon/Zion, but not a fan of the weather there in July/August
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Nearing_Destination wrote:Alaska? This year? Likely all lodging is already booked up solid- when I went there years ago I booked 11 months in advance for some areas!
Agree Alaska can be tough. When we went to Katmai, cabins during the salmon run period booked up January 1 of the year BEFORE. But really really cool place to go watch bears and (apparently) to fish. http://explore.org/live-cams/player/bro ... ooks-falls
Toons

Post by Toons »

Maine :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

22twain wrote:
Ah, you beat me to it!

Another vote for Team Ashville!
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

vested1 wrote:My wife has a magnet on the fridge with a picture of Eleanor Roosevelt and a quote "Do one thing every day that scares you".
I agree.

And that's why, first thing every morning, I get up and look in the mirror.

:shock:
Stay on target...
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

If you want to fish then think about on the gulf coast. I live in south Louisiana and I have plenty of opportunity for both fresh and saltwater fishing, there is no comparison when you go on a charter to the deep blue water in the gulf. World class fishing. You can get it anywhere on the gulf coast, if you want beaches you need to be somewhere in Florida, plus Florida tends to have more touristy things to do.

If you are ok with a "small big city" experience with a lot of culture, awesome food and fishing not far away look at New Orleans. Great fishing is an hour away in Venice, La. The French Quarter in N.O. offers quite a lot of entertainment even if just walking around, Bourbon St. bars of course at night are a thrill.
cpw84

Post by cpw84 »

+1

Great craft beer spot, several good breweries and bars. Wicked Weed and Highland are my favorite breweries to visit there and The Thirsty Monk is a bar with a basement bar specifically dedicated to Belgians. I proposed to my wife there and had a bachelor weekend there before my wedding, one of my favorite spots. I also did some backpacking near there a few weeks ago. The whole Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful. If you're fine with hostels, Sweet Peas is in the middle of town and is relatively affordable.

Charlotte isn't too far and has the US National Whitewater Center, which has manmade rapids for rafting, ropes courses, ziplines, and hiking/mountain biking paths. The NASCAR hall of fame is there too, if you're into that.