So, are Bogleheads Bourbon or Scotch drinkers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jrtexas

So, are Bogleheads Bourbon or Scotch drinkers?

Post by jrtexas »

My regular whiskey is a simple Evan Williams Bourbon. 15$ at Total Wine. 1.75 L. But I do like a good Single Malt. Not so much a Blended guy.
leehamster

Re: So,are Bogleheads Bourbon or Scotch drinkers?

Post by leehamster »

Irish whiskey.

Black Bush or a nicer Jameson.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Neither.

I'm partial to diet coke. Probably saved $100k by not buying alcohol.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Scotch and water would probably be the choice of many. We're Scotch by spending habits and the cheaper you are, the more water you put in there!
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
OakPhilliesFan

Post by OakPhilliesFan »

I like both. For bourbon I am partial to Buffalo Trace ($25 for 750ml). There is plenty of cheaper bourbon out there but I just don't like it very much. I go through it slowly so it lasts a while anyway.

I haven't tried scotch extensively yet, but for blended I like Johnny Walker Black. A good single malt I've found is Aberlour 12 year ($40 for 750ml). Macallan 12 is good too but more expensive.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Yes...
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Definitely a scotch whisky drinker here; primarily blended for everyday use (1.75L Chivas Regal 18yr @$90) and single-malt for special situations (.750L Glenmorangie Qunita Ruban Port Cask Finish @$50) and both on the rocks. Wife likes Grey Goose vodka for her gimlet or dirty martini.
:sharebeer
Tom D.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Depends on my mood. Introspective, Scotch. Expansive, bourbon. And no cheap stuff allowed. I am way too old for rotgut.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
verdigris

Post by verdigris »

Rye. Old Overholt would be the bogleheaded choice at $15/L.
tcassette

Re: So, are Bogleheads Bourbon or Scotch drinkers?

Post by tcassette »

Maccallan 12 is one of my few "luxuries."
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Neither.

I'm partial to diet coke. Probably saved $100k by not buying alcohol.
This, or fine wine.

(Minus the saving $$)

:happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Filtered fridge cooled tap water. Lowest expense ratio. The Vanguard of beverages. :sharebeer
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Nothing stronger than Pepsi..
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
peppers

Post by peppers »

I gave up the nectar of the gods a long time ago. However, an occasional Dad's Old Fashioned Root Beer hits the spot.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Bourbon or Scotch?

I vote for one Bourbon, one Scotch and one beer and then play the song over and over!!!!!! [George Thorogood and the Destroyers' version]

Just the thought of those tastes sends my neuron firings uncontrollably and it's coming up to 30 years without any!

Damn, Bourbon if I could have only one, which I can't... and never could...

Hey, enjoy -- it's me not you.
fishboat

Post by fishboat »

Bourbon or Scotch..ahh..yes. Or in a pinch a Kentucky Bourbon Ale.

That said..

No poems can please for long or live that are written by water drinkers.
Horace, 25 BCE

(Beer) is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

English Socialite (to Winston Churchill): "MR. CHURCHILL! YOU ARE DRUNK!"
Churchiil: "..yes Madam, and you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober.."
krannerd

Post by krannerd »

barnaclebob wrote:Yes...
Violently agree with this!
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Bourbon or Scotch would kill me in one sip, and not just partially, but completely. :D

I appreciate good wine, but mostly drink water. There are probably a lot of Bolglehead beer drinkers considering the extent of the thread on Boglehead beer, (but not moi).
rob

Post by rob »

Used to be Bourbon but more Scotch now days... I guess I'm an old curmudgeon now :D
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
chx

Post by chx »

Definitely a PBR drinker since college days.
daveatca

Fermented, baby!

Post by daveatca »

Beer.
Craft beer.
I have 9 breweries within walking distance of my house.
My local pub (2blocks away), HopsAndPie.com, has 21 craft beers on rotation.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Bourbon...yes. Straight up or in Manhattans
Scotch...yes. Single malt straight up or blend in Rob Roys
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Myself, I'm partial to good rum...although we are now coming up on gin season.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Coke. Nothing beats Coke.
spectec

Post by spectec »

White Coat Investor wrote:Scotch and water would probably be the choice of many. We're Scotch by spending habits and the cheaper you are, the more water you put in there!
Mixing scotch with water?

Never!

Aren't you aware of all the disgusting things fish do in water?
Last edited by spectec on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

cheese_breath wrote:Nothing stronger than Pepsi.
Same here, Pepsi or Mountain Dew.

I had one sip of beer from a cousin when I was under the age of 10, spit that stuff out because it tasted like crap, and haven't had a drink of alcohol since.

But even if I wanted to drink alcohol, I have a drug interaction that requires me to abstain.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

I am envious of the scotch & bourbon drinkers here. I can't drink the stuff, it just burns the whole way down.

Probably a good thing though. Might not be good if I liked it too much.

For me, I like a couple beers on a warm evening, relaxing while reading with something on the BBQ (chicken, since it takes awhile)
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

Both. After all, it's better to be diversified. You should own as many in each category as possible so you get better exposure to the entire Whisky market too.
Personal favorites
Scotch - Aberlour A'bunadh, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Oban
Bourbon - Eagle Rare, Blanton's, Balcone's True Blue or Brimstone
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

Scotch > Rye > Bourbon > ... V8?
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

Is the enjoyment of bourbon or scotch an acquired taste?

If yes, what should I buy to get started (scotch and bourbon, and rum)? (don't worry, it won't go to waste if I don't like it.... I am sure one of my friends will take drink it)

And how much do you drink in a sitting? Just enough to feel good?
Last edited by JoinToday on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

I like Seagram's Extra Dry Gin and Diet Vernor's with plenty of ice. Crazy sounding drink, right? Try it some time. You won't even know you're drinking liquid. It's practically like inhaling fresh air, and you won't get a bad reaction no matter what you eat with it.

I never drink any dark colored alcohol, whether distilled or just brewed. Blech. I never feel good afterward. Scotch does taste wonderful and mellow, but it always makes me feel bad later. And a little too much and I wake up the next day and what do you think I taste and smell? Scotch. No thanks.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

JoinToday wrote:Is the enjoyment of bourbon or scotch an acquired taste?

If yes, what should I buy to get started (scotch and bourbon, and rum)? (don't worry, it won't go to waste if I don't like it.... I am sure one of my friends will take drink it)
I think Macallan is a good single malt Scotch to start with. I also found some Irish whiskeys to be pleasant for one's first taste of whiskey--Redbreast is a fine choice. These might each run $40 or so. I would not start with bourbon--not mellow enough IMO--nor would I go with cheaper varieties to start, as you might be turned off for no good reason if you happen to pick one that doesn't suite you. Or go with Ten High. Then you will probably never drink whiskey again, and you'll save a bundle.
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

JoinToday wrote:Is the enjoyment of bourbon or scotch an acquired taste?

Very much acquired.

Starter should be something decent but not too expensive (~$40ish), yes? Much cheaper than that and you're looking at more mixing whisky rather than sippin'. In that case
Bourbon - Buffalo Trace, Four Roses (Single Barrel is excellent), Eagle Rare (worth the extra few $s over Buffalo Trace)
Scotch - Laphroaig 10 year (peated, be warned), Aberlour 12 Year (not peated)

I would disagree with the above though, bourbon can be easier to sip than scotch, it's usually a bit sweeter.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---
rob

Post by rob »

JoinToday wrote:what should I buy to get started (scotch and bourbon, and rum)?
Run down the a good shop and grab some of those single little bottles...... For a few bucks each you will get an idea of what you like without wasting too much (stuff or dollars). When you get an idea, then try some variations of what you like in larger bottles / bar.....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

blaugranamd wrote: I would disagree with the above though, bourbon can be easier to sip than scotch, it's usually a bit sweeter.
I knew someone would point this out. To me, it's almost like a sweet and sour chicken versus a garlic sauce chicken. You might say the sweet and sour is easier to nibble on, because it's sweet, while the garlic sauce is spicier, and while that's true, there's also something in the sweet and sour that makes it not so sweet. In this case, it's the sour, in the case of bourbon, it's ???. Maybe it's just me, or maybe there's just a lot of bad bourbons out there. I haven't had too many unpleasant Scotch whiskeys or too many bad rye whiskeys.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

My wife is a scotch drinker. I tried it several times over the years and I just hate it and I really wanted to enjoy it. Before I got barretts esophagus, I used to enjoy Hennessy XO after dinner but my doctor told me to stay away from drinking.

I have always been a Bud Light guy. I hate the fancy craft beers because they are just too heavy and bitter, but I do love a nice cold Bud Light which I still have when I go out or on the holidays.

I went through a wine phase a few years ago and was really enjoying it. I got to know my favorite $15 to $50 bottles and overnight, I stopped enjoy it. I do enjoy a glass with Sunday dinner or when I'm out, but nowhere near how I used to enjoy it. Weird I know.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Dirghatamas

Post by Dirghatamas »

Neither. Both are nasty (I have tried once or twice) and burn my throat. Beer just tastes like crap. I actually somewhat like the taste of red wine but for some reason it gives me a headache. So, I pretty much don't drink alcohol. I don't drink soda or juice just tap water.

OK, I lied. I LOVE a great cut of coffee and same with really good cup of tea (not that packet stuff). I am as snobbish as they come about coffee and tea. Once in a while in deep winter I also like good 85% strong hot chocolate. Rarely (maybe every couple of years or so), if I had a long hot bike ride, a root bear + ice cream float can hit the spot. Hard alcohol stuff is just nasty. Definitely an acquired taste.
samtex

Post by samtex »

Jack and coke on occasion. A bottle will suffice me for about a year. (Rarely share) Filtered water over ice usually.

Samtex
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

jrtexas wrote:My regular whiskey is a simple Evan Williams Bourbon. 15$ at Total Wine. 1.75 L. But I do like a good Single Malt. Not so much a Blended guy.
Ok. Funny story only a Bogleheads would appreciate. I go to my local liquor store market. I am looking for some bourbon made in Utah to take to a Holiday dinner. I'm looking and looking and not sure what to get. It's late. I'm tired and might not be thinking straight, so I ask the guy there. He asks, "Bourbon or Scotch?" I say that I normally drink scotch, but the trip and Utah and all that.

We start walking around looking and he confides and says, "skip the bourbon and stick to Scotch". Finally, he shows me a bottle of 15 year Glenfiddich Solera Reserve. Apparently, with a Solera, the vat is kept half full, so it get richer every year. At $35, it was a steal.

As I am walking toward the register, I thank him for the find and ask him, "don't get me wrong I love the find, but do you mind me asking why you didn't just let me buy the more expensive whiskey?" He replied,

"Oh, I don't work here"

:-)
denovo

Post by denovo »

krannerd wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:Yes...
Violently agree with this!
u wot m8
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

If I were interested in this asset class, I would probably track the All-World Whiskey Index. :beer
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
UncleBen

Post by UncleBen »

Water, green smoothies, and iced tea.
tarheel

Post by tarheel »

Easy one......a little of both! Diversification is a must.

I'm a huge bourbon fan, but if it's all you drink you'll get palate fatigue after a while......hence I always keep a little scotch around.

You might say my whiskey allocation is something like:

75% bourbon
15% scotch
5% irish whiskey
5% canadian whisky

:beer
gouverneur

Post by gouverneur »

Absolutely both!

For Bourbon, Elijah Craig is a good one at a reasonable price point, Four Roses is a bit nicer. Blanton's is better still.

For scotch I think Lahproiag 10 is a must for peat lovers. My go-to strategy is just to drop by my local liquor store every month or so and see what's on sale, some of the deals are quite good and occasionally spectacular, when a lesser known brand is involved. That's the way I've found a lot of brands I now enjoy. Talisker Storm is a good one. For a smoother, less peaty scotch, Balvenie Doublewood and Dalwhinnie are both something.
chicago_meatball

Post by chicago_meatball »

Coffee, water, beer, whiskey, repeat. The standard routine.
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Have we not began to deteriorate from a serious and highly admired investment forum to a social club?
Erwin
chicago_meatball

Post by chicago_meatball »

Erwin wrote:Have we not began to deteriorate from a serious and highly admired investment forum to a social club?
It promotes all of the free time boggle heads have since there is no micromanagement of investing.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Erwin wrote:Have we not began to deteriorate from a serious and highly admired investment forum to a social club?
Indeed we have!
Anyhow, I prefer Bourbon over Scotch, but GIN over both of them...
Attempted new signature...
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I wish I liked them but never acquired a taste for either. I stick to beer and the occasional wine. Enjoying the thread.
Blues

Post by Blues »

I don't drink either one often but when I do...it's (nowadays) a nice single malt. For years before that I always preferred good bourbon.

Since I've acquired the taste for single malt I now often find bourbon to be too sweet.

:beer
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson