Comments on a Stereo Shelf System?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Comments on a Stereo Shelf System?

Post by LuigiLikesPizza »

The first thing I should say is that I am not an audiophile, just a regular person who really enjoys good sound and ease of use and is willing to compromise on perfection...

All that said, I'm also middle aged, so please go gentle on me with respect to technology, lol.

I seem be homing in on this Yamaha shelf system sold at Best Buy. My goal is to play my CDs, listen to songs from my iTunes library and listen to my music both on a mobile basis (iPhone, iPod) and just around home. I also jog/walk on a treadmill and I am planning to get some wireless headphones that would be interoperable with this system? They advertise as 30W - I have no idea whether 30W is considered good or mediocre? I live in a condo - I will not be blasting the volume anyway. Would love comments on this product description. Thanks - also if you know of worthwhile competitors to this one, would also be interested.

Listen to music from various sources with this Yamaha MCR-B142BL micro component system that supports CD, MP3 and WMA formats and features an iPod/iPhone dock for easy connectivity. The USB port enables connection of an iPad®.
Product Features

Micro component system
Includes a CD player and an AM/FM radio, so you can easily listen to your favorite music. Compatible with CD, MP3 and WMA formats for versatile playback options.
Apple iPod/iPhone dock
Allows you to enjoy music stored on select devices, including iPod nano 2nd-, 3rd-, 4th-, 5th- and 6th-generation, iPod touch, iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, for wide-ranging use.
30W total system power (15W x 15W)
Delivers robust audio.
AM/FM tuner
Enables you to set your favorite channels for one-touch recall.
4-1/2" full-range, bass-reflex speakers
Handle highs and lows for a wide audio spectrum.
Yamaha's Compressed Music Enhancer
Restores the performance of compressed audio files to ensure dynamic sound.
Front-panel USB port
Offers easy connection of your Apple iPad, iPad 2 or iPad 3rd generation.
Auxiliary mini input
Lets you connect compatible audio devices.
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR/A2DP and AVRCP technology
Allows you to wirelessly stream music from compatible mobile phones and tablets.
IntelliAlarm
Gently wakes you by gradually increasing the volume of your connected device. Yamaha DTA Controller app allows you to easily adjust the alarm's settings (additional fees may apply).
Dantes

Re: Comments on a Stereo Shelf System?

Post by Dantes »

Thanks for listing that system - I haven't heard in in operation but it looks promising. I noticed Best Buy at this moment lists just two colors, black and pink, while Amazon, from a variety of sellers, lists more colors with prices all over the place, some cheaper, some way up to list price.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

From Amazon, there is a newer version: Yamaha MCR-B043RE

Another option would be to start with a Bose SoundLink Mini and then find different input. iPhone, basic CD player, etc to play through the speaker.
blmarsha123

Post by blmarsha123 »

Sounds like a great system for a smaller space with good connectivity (ex. no Bluetooth?). I think you'll be happy with your selection.

Note that I am partial to Yamaha as I bought a Yamaha YHT-695 (home theater in a box) a few years ago, and still love it.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

bloom2708 wrote:From Amazon, there is a newer version: Yamaha MCR-B043RE

Another option would be to start with a Bose SoundLink Mini and then find different input. iPhone, basic CD player, etc to play through the speaker.
FYI, OPs model is Bluetooth 2 and the "newer" Amazon is Bluetooth 3. Many new devices are on Bluetooth 4 or later if that's important to you. It's a jack-of-all trades type of system, so don't expect it to excel in any particular aspect. Also, the drivers are 4.5", so don't expect a great sound, especially bass. And it runs on batteries, so compare to other portable units.

What are the 2 or 3 most likely sources of music you will listen to? (Which device would hold the music and what source and format?)
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

I would be using the system to listen to CDs and to music through a docked iPhone. I store my iTunes library on my laptop - so music would be moved back and forth. I also plan on using wireless headphones to listen to the music while on my treadmill.

Thanks!
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:Would love comments on this product description
Sounds like it would meet your requirements to me.
LuigiLikesPizza wrote:They advertise as 30W - I have no idea whether 30W is considered good or mediocre?
30W doesn't really tell you what you seem to think it does. Sound quality involves much more than that one spec but even then one can't rely on spec sheets. One has to listen in person.

However, based on this statement:
LuigiLikesPizza wrote:The first thing I should say is that I am not an audiophile, just a regular person who really enjoys good sound and ease of use and is willing to compromise on perfection...
I'd guess you'd probably be fine. The thing is that "good" is highly subjective and it's almost more so with sound quality. You say you're not an audiophile (they don't all necessarily agree on what "good sound" is either) but we don't know what range you consider "good".

Best Buy allows returns. Take it for a spin and see if you're happy with it before that return period runs out. Whether one is an audiophile or not first hand experience is the best way to determine whether or not a given solution provides what one would consider suitable audio quality.
blmarsha123 wrote:Sounds like a great system for a smaller space with good connectivity (ex. no Bluetooth?).
Doesn't sound like bluetooth is a priority to the OP but:
LuigiLikesPizza wrote:Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR/A2DP and AVRCP technology
carlgp

Post by carlgp »

Hi If you haven't bought yet, check on amazon. Sony CMT-SBT100 It has everything you could possibly want except a CD changer. Read the amazon description and the customer reviews. It sells for $198 and before xmas it was $169. It's worth every bit of $198. 50 watt speakers that are approx. 6"x9"x8" After I got mine I bought another for my grown son. By the way, I'm sure not high tech-(I'm 82) And I love great sounding old fashioned music. This set is in my bedroom and sounds just as good as my $1000 set in the living room. Buy it! you won't be sorry and if you are Amazon will refund your entire cost plus shipping. And no I do not work for Amazon. Regards, Carl PS I've bose and this beats them hands down.
ShoogyBee

Post by ShoogyBee »

I would not go with a system that has an Apple dock on the top of its case. That means it's a pretty old system (relatively speaking) and you never know if there may be compatibility issues with newer Apple devices as time goes by. I'd go with something that connects to portable devices via USB, Bluetooth, AptX, or AirPlay.

If you really want to go with Yamaha, it seems that their newest systems include the MCR-B020 and MCR-B043.

- http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-vi ... top-audio/
- http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-vi ... i-systems/

Onkyo appears to make a newer three-piece system called the Colibrino CS-265. Best Buy and Amazon sell it as well. It comes in three colors.

- http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model. ... 265%28B%29

The Sony system that was recommended earlier (CMT-SBT100) seems to be nice as well.

- http://www.sony.com/electronics/hi-fi-s ... 00-sbt100b

Last but not least, Best Buy's house brand, Insignia, makes an inexpensive three-piece system that runs for $119, although I've seen it go on sale for $79-99. Probably not as nice as the others, but it seems to rate well with its owners.

- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-50 ... /8930604.p

Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Thank you. I noticed the recent models do not include the dock - since presumably the standard now is Bluetooth wireless streaming? is that correct? I think that point has been made here - just confirming.

Thanks
midareff

Post by midareff »

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:Thank you. I noticed the recent models do not include the dock - since presumably the standard now is Bluetooth wireless streaming? is that correct? I think that point has been made here - just confirming.

Thanks

If you are buying a shelf system to listen to music you have to go to the store and listen to it. Understand, it will sound different in your room than it does in a showroom, but you do have to be comfortable with the sound there. Ideally, you would pick the one that sounds the best to you everything else being equal, but it never is.
MarcVH

Post by MarcVH »

First, I probably wouldn't bother with wireless headphones for treadmill or other usage. Just plug headphones into your iPhone, it's way simpler and more robust unless it's really important to listen to CDs that you haven't yet ripped.

Using Bluetooth to play music via your phone and stream it to the speakers is one of those ideas that sounds good, but when I tried to make a practice of it I found it frustrating and flaky. I'd go with something based on Apple's AirPlay instead (assuming you want to stick with the Apple ecosystem), either by having an AirPort plugged into the aux jack of a system like this or even getting AirPlay-enabled speakers.