New Washer - Frontload or HE Top Load

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
roninmedia

New Washer - Frontload or HE Top Load

Post by roninmedia »

I'm currently in the process of shopping for a new washer and dryer for my parents. The current washing machine they had recently bit the dust and they've decided it's time to replace both with a matching washer and dryer. For perspective, I'm 29 and the washer and dryer were purchased when I was in 1st and 4th grade respectively.
  • Should I go with a frontload or HE top loader?
  • My brother-in-law gets us a 20% discount of the retail price of Samsung brand products. Buy at say Lowes, give him the receipt to submit, get a check for 20% of the purchase price. Therefore my parents have locked into purchasing Samsung. Good decision?
  • What do you guys think about pedestals? My parents are in both in their late 50's. My mom is 5'2" and my dad is 5'8". They do have occasional backaches.
lthenderson

Re: New Washer - Frontload or HE Top Load

Post by lthenderson »

My 25 year old dryer finally bit the dust a couple months back and my washer of the same age had been on its way out for some time. I ended up buying another top load washer and dryer set. I like them because they are simple, cost half the price and in my experience last a lot longer than front loads. I put more of a premium on those features than the water savings or less wear on clothes factors that front loads have.

I designed front loading washers for a living. If you do a lot of laundry and end up getting a front load, go with the pedestal. It really does make a lot of difference on your back.
Last edited by lthenderson on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allan12

Post by Allan12 »

roninmedia wrote:I'm currently in the process of shopping for a new washer and dryer for my parents. The current washing machine they had recently bit the dust and they've decided it's time to replace both with a matching washer and dryer. For perspective, I'm 29 and the washer and dryer were purchased when I was in 1st and 4th grade respectively.
  • Should I go with a frontload or HE top loader?
  • My brother-in-law gets us a 20% discount of the retail price of Samsung brand products. Buy at say Lowes, give him the receipt to submit, get a check for 20% of the purchase price. Therefore my parents have locked into purchasing Samsung. Good decision?
  • What do you guys think about pedestals? My parents are in both in their late 50's. My mom is 5'2" and my dad is 5'8". They do have occasional backaches.
I bought a state of the art front load washer about 3 years ago and until recently loved it. Until, at work guys were talking about the mold/mildew/debris that builds up under the front loader door gasket. I immediately went home and checked and was mortified. I looked online and apparently this is a common issue with front loaders. There are even class action lawsuits. I ordered the $75 part and changed out the whole door assembly.

Bottom line, would go with the top loader as opposed to the front loader. As far as brands, I would think Samsung is good, but haven't had direct experience.

Pedestals are expensive, but it's personal preference, if they are interested, buy them! I didn't though.
sesq

Post by sesq »

Avoid the mold - top loader all the way. They come in two versions - basic and effective or fancy and giant. We bought the fancy and giant one to replace a moldy front loader.

We didn't buy the pedestals.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

Out of fear of mold problems we purchased a Samsung top loader from Lowe's 4 years ago. Not only does spouse like it but cat likes to sit on glass top and watch the waterfall :D
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
furwut

Post by furwut »

I have a front loader. They use less water and, since there is no agitator, I think they are easier on clothes.

To prevent mold and mildew I make certain to thoroughly wipe off excess water from the gasket after each use. I also leave the door open. I've had my washer for 8 years and haven't had that issue. You can also occasionally run it with white vinegar to inhibit mildew.

My unit is a combo washer/dryer. I'm in my 50s and wish the washer was a little higher.

EDIT - One thing I don't like about a front loader is when you throw a load in, turn it on, then turn around and see another article of clothing that you should have added.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Top load.
Easier to pull clothes out,,,
as one ages :happy

Purchased a Whirlpool Cabrio Unit from Lowes about 4 years ago,,
Superb performance ,,so far

http://www.lowes.com/pd_670297-46-WTW7300DW_1z11pmg__
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

We've been very happy with our top loading HE washer. Not as "sexy" the front loading ones that are so popular, but cheaper and no mold.
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

You can also buy discounted gifts cards online for Lowes (or HD, BB, etc) and still give the receipt to your BIL for bigger savings.

I have LG HE washer and dryer with pedestals. I can't decide if I like the pedestals. They are too small to fit detergent, the machines look much larger sitting up higher, and they seem to cost a lot more than they are worth, but I do like it when my back is killing me. I bought the pedestals because of back problems, too. I have to bend down anyway to get the laundry basket. There are cabinets above, so there isn't room on top of the units. I saw one with a small washer in the pedestal instead of just wasted space. I can't remember the brand name. I plan on looking into that when I need a new one. I don't have a Samsung washer, but I have several Samsung products and they are all good. I like the brand. I have so many problems with the LG that I will not buy another one.

I avoid the mold in the gasket issue by leaving the door open all the time and wiping the gasket with a towel every now and then. It takes 2 seconds. There are also washing machines detergents made to remove that odor. I don't like them. The ones I tried were heavily fragranced and made several loads of laundry smell.
miles2go

Post by miles2go »

Bought an LG HE top loader in Sept from Lowes. Very happy so far especially with the capacity. They price matched another store which allowed me to get 5% back with lowes card. Don't forget to check for utility company rebates after you buy... Got another $50 back. Process was simple and paid me via PayPal within 24 hrs!
...and [many] miles to go before I retire.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

furwut wrote:I have a front loader. They use less water and, since there is no agitator, I think they are easier on clothes.
The Samsung top-loader does not have an agitator
Last edited by BTDT on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Since this is Bogleheads I would think the answer was obvious - No Load is the only way to go!

(Sorry, but I could not resist)
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

I can reopen the door on my front loader as long as the tub isn't filled. I think I had to reopen it maybe a handful of times in the 5 years I have owned it. No biggie. Just wait until the next load if you can't reopen it.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Every appliance repairman I've talked to claims that the top loading "just above the low end" are the most reliable models. That said, anything beyond 5 years of use is a bonus these days.

For someone who has happily used a top loaded for 25 years, just get a new one. Sure, it won't last like the older ones, but why change all your laundry habits now?
tjaden

Post by tjaden »

Speed Queen - top loader

These are some of the highest rated and most recommended by repairmen. They are built like appliances were made 20+ years ago and will typically last much longer than the electronic junk. You won't find them in big box - check the local appliance store. They are a little more expensive but they will last much longer and require less repairs. If you go to most laundromats, college dorms, etc. you will find the commercial version of these.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Given the 20% discount on Samsung, I would would go with a Samsung top load HE washer and matching Samsung dryer. The Samsung top loaders are very highly rated. I have one and have been very happy overall with it. When the old dryer died, we bought the companion Samsung dryer as well. Very pleased with it as well.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

We had a front load Maytag HE washer. I've heard that was the model that drove them to financial straits and caused them to be sold out to Frigidaire. "Neptune", that was the model.

Replaced with a top-line GE top load HE washer. Love it. Had it since around 2006, never a problem. There is no agitator so the tub is ginormous...good for comforters, etc.

My clothes from the front load would come out all wrung into a long "rope". Not so with the top loader.

I think pedestals would be good for the front load. Not necessary for the top loader.
FuyuKei

Post by FuyuKei »

Top load on washers all the way. Last longer and much easier/cheaper to maintain.

My mom got one without an agitator recently and I think next time I buy one I will do the same. It seems like her clothes look better for longer. Also makes blankets easy to wash.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Have to agree with tjaden's post above. Only question remaining is whether a HE model with plate in bottom or regular model with taller agitator. Having had experience on a top-loading HE with plate in bottom, I will go with the Speed Queen with agitator and make decision as to whether electronic controls or manual controls. Last time I looked electronic controls had a longer 5-year warranty.
Tom D.
BCC

Post by BCC »

Since your Mom is 5'2", be sure to stay on the smaller end of the top loaders - under 4.5 cu.ft, maybe even in the 3+ cu.ft range. If possible, bring her to the store and let her try reaching to the bottom of the washtub as if to retrieve wet clothes after the last spin. Do NOT buy a footstool to help her reach, that is only asking for trouble.

- BCC
frankbailey

Post by frankbailey »

Go with a top loader, you will have less washer repair problems in the future, but stay away from Samsung and LG, the parts can be hard to come by, instead consider General Electric, Whirlpool and Maytag.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

I've had a frontload washer for the past 7 years, and my next one will be a topload. The frontload one hasn't done a very good job of cleaning clothes, IMO. Also, not matter how many times I have leveled it, it is impossible to do a load of towels or sheets without it thumping and bouncing all over the place.
daveatca

This is 'Murica

Post by daveatca »

As usual, all these "discussions" degenerate into 7 completely predictable responses.
Front loader sucks.
Front loader great.
Top loader traditional sucks.
Top loader traditional great.
Top loader HE sucks.
Top loader HE great.
Speed Queen!
ShenziNation

Re: This is 'Murica

Post by ShenziNation »

daveatca wrote:As usual, all these "discussions" degenerate into 7 completely predictable responses.
Front loader sucks.
Front loader great.
Top loader traditional sucks.
Top loader traditional great.
Top loader HE sucks.
Top loader HE great.
Speed Queen!
As usual, the eighth option of user error is ignored.
Green Nut

Post by Green Nut »

JohnFiscal wrote:We had a front load Maytag HE washer. I've heard that was the model that drove them to financial straits and caused them to be sold out to Frigidaire. "Neptune", that was the model.

Replaced with a top-line GE top load HE washer. Love it. Had it since around 2006, never a problem. There is no agitator so the tub is ginormous...good for comforters, etc.

My clothes from the front load would come out all wrung into a long "rope". Not so with the top loader.

I think pedestals would be good for the front load. Not necessary for the top loader.
Glad its not just me!!
sk.dolcevita

Post by sk.dolcevita »

I too would like to hear about actual (as opposed to hearsay) experience of a Speed Queen ownership. Consumer Reports rates these pretty low, so I am confused by all the raving I hear about them.

The three Speed Queen top loader models listed on their website are $800, $900 and $1000, so definitely a bit pricey. Assuming they do last longer, do they last twice as long? Alternatively stated, would it be better to buy two "regular" brands at $500 each to last 10 years, or buy a Speed Queen?
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

flyingbison wrote:I've had a frontload washer for the past 7 years, and my next one will be a topload. The frontload one hasn't done a very good job of cleaning clothes, IMO. Also, not matter how many times I have leveled it, it is impossible to do a load of towels or sheets without it thumping and bouncing all over the place.
The movement may just depend on the brand / design. Our previous Maytag top-loader just loved to bounce around whenever the clothes or towels inside would get unbalanced. But the Whirlpool Cabrio HE top-loader we replaced it with has gotten unbalanced a few times and shut itself off, and no dancing. My only regret is not spending an extra few dollars to get the glass top version so I could see what the heck is going on inside there. :happy
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

Front load washers are mechanically much simpler, which should translate to fewer repairs and increased longevity. This is how a HE Top Load works, make note of all the different axis of motion in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5so5DyopIRI

Assuming the washer is not in a closet, it is not difficult to leave the door cracked when not in use to alleviate the mold issue. The only issue I've found with front load washers is when pulling items out of the washer to put in the dryer, more items come out than intended and invariably fall on the floor. My simple fix is to put an empty laundry basket (or an open pedestal drawer) underneath when I'm transferring clothing. The reduction in water usage and the hopefully reduced cost of ownership is what has sold me on the front loader, despite having to minimally change my habits.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

jrbdmb wrote:The movement may just depend on the brand / design. Our previous Maytag top-loader just loved to bounce around whenever the clothes or towels inside would get unbalanced. But the Whirlpool Cabrio HE top-loader we replaced it with has gotten unbalanced a few times and shut itself off, and no dancing. My only regret is not spending an extra few dollars to get the glass top version so I could see what the heck is going on inside there. :happy
Our Samsung senses when the load is unbalanced and slows down to somehow re-balances the load. I think the slow spin is all it takes to get it back in balance. Sometimes it has to try a couple of times but so far it has always managed to re-balance the load.

P.S. The thrill of watching through the glass top wears off quickly.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ThatGuy wrote:Front load washers are mechanically much simpler, which should translate to fewer repairs and increased longevity. This is how a HE Top Load works, make note of all the different axis of motion in the video.
My top-load Samsung HE has a direct drive motor. There are no gears, pulleys, etc. to wear out or mess up. It has a 10 year warranty on the motor/drive mechanism.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We are 71 / 76 and like our top load washer. It is good to be able to lean on the machine when removing those wet towels. Dryer next to it is front load, it's easy to throw in the wet towels standing straight up.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

BCC wrote:Since your Mom is 5'2", be sure to stay on the smaller end of the top loaders - under 4.5 cu.ft, maybe even in the 3+ cu.ft range. If possible, bring her to the store and let her try reaching to the bottom of the washtub as if to retrieve wet clothes after the last spin. Do NOT buy a footstool to help her reach, that is only asking for trouble.

- BCC
Yes. I love the top load HE washer I bought 2 years ago, but measurements are critical. The new machines may be deeper and taller than the old machine, so you need to make sure they will fit into the space you have. I have overhead cabinets in my "laundry room" and had to figure for the lid having room to open and stay open. (I considered a hook and a bungee cord, but didn't need it after all.)

I also am 5'2" and worried about being able to reach the socks at the bottom. It's a stretch sometimes, but I've never been unable to get anything out -- and I haven't fallen in either, so far. As I age, I may need to consider a small step stool.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

i replaced a maytag front loader that died with a lg he top loader and have no regrets. good performance and no mold issues.

i based my decision primarily using consumer reports ratings. i have no idea how samsung is rated (my purchase was a couple years ago). all things being equal, sure, grab the discount. but i wouldn't buy a lower rated machine just to pick up $150 or so.
canderson

Post by canderson »

Our washer is 11 years old so I'm preparing mentally to replace it. Our laundry room is on the second floor and the current washer (a Whirlpool top loader basic model with agitator) is loud and shakes and vibrates the floor so when downstairs in our living room it's loud and annoying.

Do the new HE top loaders without agitators perform more quietly and without the vibration/shake? Quiet is a huge selling point to me when investigating appliances.
plannerman

Post by plannerman »

When we switched from a top loader to a front loader a few years ago, our gas bill dropped by $25 month. I was astounded. I can't speak to the new energy efficient top loaders.

plannerman
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

Top loader all the way. They are much, much better at getting clothes clean. Speed Queen builds the best and longest lasting washer/dryer on the planet.
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

ThatGuy wrote:Front load washers are mechanically much simpler, which should translate to fewer repairs and increased longevity. This is how a HE Top Load works, make note of all the different axis of motion in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5so5DyopIRI
As someone who designed washing machines for over ten years, I have to point out that the washer in the linked video only has one axis of motion, the same as all washers. It has six different speeds and directions around that one axis which is what they pointed out in the video.

I also have to disagree that front loaders are mechanically simpler. I spent many many hours designing the pedestal base that holds the bearings and the drums to be structurally sound. Because the major force loading is offset from the bearings and the pedestal, lifetime fatigue calculations are quite complex. In a top load model, the forces go directly through the bearings and the support structure making them much simpler to design. Front loaders are also much more complex to seal up to be water tight when in use than top loaders. Spin speeds become much more finicky in front loaders to prevent your clothes from ending up in a knot or not being cleaned. Top loaders are much more forgiving on this aspect. Front loaders can be much more efficient and the profit margins much much higher which is why the industry is pushing the consumers to buy them over top loaders.
mkc

Post by mkc »

We've had a front-load Kenmore (HE3T) for 15 years now and while it works MUCH better than the basic top loader we had before, there are definitely challenges with items tangling together, occasional issues with load balancing for spinning (especially with heavy items), and if I try to wash a comforter, I'd better throw a towel in with it to help balance the load.

This happens to be a model that you can leave the door open on when not using. Many of the newer ones require you to keep the door closed and that can lead to mold and musty smells.

One of the best resources I've found for home "stuff" is the GardenWeb forum. There is a specific one for laundry http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry and another for appliances http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl The net of GardenWeb is no Samsung or LG front loaders; Electrolux front if you must or Speed Queen all day long :wink:

Michelle
fposte

Post by fposte »

ThatGuy wrote: Assuming the washer is not in a closet, it is not difficult to leave the door cracked when not in use to alleviate the mold issue.
A friend attached a simple plastic chain between door and washer body (with stickyback velcro, I think), so the door is just put on the chain when the washer is not in use.
Para45

Post by Para45 »

At this point I can give 4.5 stars on my 2 1/2 year old Kenmore Elite top-load .
New technology , He , no agitator , no problem. This unit washes for a family of 5 and
grandma's basket every week.
Clothes smell clean , run a 'clean cycle ' every couple months .
Take care in the loading of heavy clothes/towels/rugs , to achieve a balance when spinning.
Expect wash times to be longer than older washers.
It got good reviews from home depot , if you believe in reviews or not ,
also a consumer report recommend buy.
Last edited by Para45 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
hand

Post by hand »

sk.dolcevita wrote:I too would like to hear about actual (as opposed to hearsay) experience of a Speed Queen ownership. Consumer Reports rates these pretty low, so I am confused by all the raving I hear about them.

The three Speed Queen top loader models listed on their website are $800, $900 and $1000, so definitely a bit pricey. Assuming they do last longer, do they last twice as long? Alternatively stated, would it be better to buy two "regular" brands at $500 each to last 10 years, or buy a Speed Queen?
I have owned a new model (electronic control) front load Speed Queen washer / dryer for about a year.
Based on actual use, I believe I received what I purchased - an industrial grade appliance that excels at cleaning / drying and will keep performing for years beyond anything available from the mass market brands.

I have been pleased with the build quality - delivery guys mentioned how much heavier the washer was than their typical delivery which I took as a measure of quality internals, and my basic inspections show that this should be easy to maintain and service if issues occur.

I have been very pleased with the cleaning / drying performance and especially happy with the simplicity and ease of use of the controls to make basic adjustments (whites vs. normal, extra rinse(s) or not) and absence of ridiculous extras (e.g. Miele's "beach towels" cycle).

My research of the low Consumer Reports is that they heavily weighted absolute cleaning performance of very dirty clothes on a washer's Normal cycle in their measurements putting Speed Queen's ~45 minute normal cycle at a disadvantage to some of the other brands hour plus Normal cycles.

It is also possible that Consumer Reports is penalizing for higher initial cost and not properly valuing a longer lifetime.

Consumer Report's approach doesn't resonate with my typical use:
  • 1) Most of my clothes are only lightly soiled when I wash them and 45 minutes gets them perfectly clean (and noticeably cleaner than our former 1970s Maytag top loader)
    2) As long as my clothes come out are clean I much prefer a shorter cycle
    3) It is trivially easy to add a soak, prewash, extended wash time for dirtier clothes, and extra rinses and bump cleaning time up to 2 hours if ever needed to be more directly comparable to competing "normal" modes - literally a press of a single button in most cases
    4) I reasonably expect to be in the same house for the next 20 years, and *may* be able to get benefit from the full useful life of the machines
    5) Replacing a broken washer is a huge hassle, and I place real value on extending the timeframe between replacements
I paid roughly $2500 for the pair, so feel free to discount my comments for some measure of confirmation bias, however I feel my passion for Speed Queen more from an engineering perspective. As a consumer it is increasingly difficult to find products where quality, performance and simplicity haven't been sacrificed to the Marketing department's desire to hit a pricepoint, Advertising's desire to include a novel (if useless) featureset, and the Finance departments desire for some measure of planned obsolescence.

A couple of notes are in order:
1) Paying a premium for high quality and longer life does not make sense for everyone - Extracting full life from a 10,000 cycle lifespan takes ~20 years at 10 loads a week.
2) I like the cleaning and energy saving performance of the front-load, but still prefer the ergonomics of the top load.
tinscale

Post by tinscale »

I am on my 2nd Speed Queen washer with mechanical controls, and Maytag Cabrio dryer.

Here's what a highly regarded appliance man on another forum I visit says:

"Want rock solid reliability, analog controls and don't care about water consumption, get the Speed Queen. If you want to wash queen size bedding, need to be "green" and are not worried that the electronic controls won't be available for repair parts in 8-10 years, get a Whirlpool Cabrio or a Maytag Bravos. this (sic) have been very solid and I have no worries selling them. but they are HE machines and more fragile than the Speed Queen."

"The problem with Samsung and LG is getting parts. No one wants to work on them because you can wait months for parts which really pisses off customers. I simply won't run calls on them including the Kenmore labeled LG stuff."
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

As others have mentioned, the front loaders have a mold issue in the gasket. We have LG front loaders and have replace the gasket once and are due for another change, as there is no way to stop the mold from growing (even with leaving the doors open).

Otherwise, the LG washer and dryer are EXCELLENT. Good quality, clean and dry well and thankfully no issues in almost 10 years of use. But next time I am going for a top loader.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

3 reasons I won't buy a front loader:

- Mold issues with door closed.
- Can't add clothes/detergent once the cycle starts.
- If the gasket on the door starts leaking, you've got water in your laundry room.

Note, all of these issues are because of the door (and gravity). Top loader gets rid of all of these issues.
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

furwut wrote:I have a front loader. They use less water and, since there is no agitator, I think they are easier on clothes.

To prevent mold and mildew I make certain to thoroughly wipe off excess water from the gasket after each use. I also leave the door open. I've had my washer for 8 years and haven't had that issue. You can also occasionally run it with white vinegar to inhibit mildew.

My unit is a combo washer/dryer. I'm in my 50s and wish the washer was a little higher.

EDIT - One thing I don't like about a front loader is when you throw a load in, turn it on, then turn around and see another article of clothing that you should have added.
I have friends with a front loader that do have mildew problems. In the OP's case, his parents may have difficulty with the low door and with having to wipe off excess water after each use. Things to consider...
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
sesq

Post by sesq »

With our front loader, we religiously kept the door open in a spacious laundry room. Still got mold. Much happier with the HE top loader (whirlpool).
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I have a Bosch Front Loader. It is extremely efficient with water and detergent. I calculated that the saving will pay for the price premium of the machine. It has a built in water heater, so the temperature is exact. (And it cleans so well!) I keep the door open when not in use, and I haven't had mold in eight years.

It has required repairs that I've been able to do myself. It's required new motor brushes, door lock, and heater element.

The Speed Queen top load is intriguing for it's rock solid reliability. If I had to do over, I may have done this for simplicity.
Beth*

Post by Beth* »

If you buy a front load, carefully measure and make sure it will fit in their space and the door will fully open. My house is 50 years old and we cannot fit a front load in our laundry room. We bought a HE top load that has a fully open tub and we've been very happy with it.
thecarrotfund

Post by thecarrotfund »

tjaden wrote:Speed Queen - top loader

These are some of the highest rated and most recommended by repairmen. They are built like appliances were made 20+ years ago and will typically last much longer than the electronic junk. You won't find them in big box - check the local appliance store. They are a little more expensive but they will last much longer and require less repairs. If you go to most laundromats, college dorms, etc. you will find the commercial version of these.
I agree with Tjaden. We Love ours!!!!!!
"not all storms are in the forecast"
hand

Post by hand »

I'm having a hard time understanding the debate upthread regarding water usage - based on my experience this is not applicable to the front loading Speed Queens which Consumer Reports specifically called out as being "water efficient."

Speed Queen AFNE9BSP113TW01 front-loader, $1,900
This front-loader scored 70 out of 100 and was the most expensive and fastest of the 39 we tested. It took 55 minutes using the normal wash and heavy-soil (max) setting. It has electronic controls so the 5-year warranty applies. Cleaning was impressive and gentle on fabrics. This Speed Queen is water efficient and extracts much of it so dryer time is shortened. Vibration wasn’t a problem, but it's noisy and claimed capacity is just 3.4 cubic feet, enough for about 15 pounds of laundry. The top-scoring Samsung WF56H9110CW front-loader can fit about 28 pounds. It’s $1,450.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/was ... lt-to-last

Bottom line, Speed Queen delivers good performance and long service life at a price while eschewing many of the "marketing" features of other brands. There are many reasons a Speed Queen may not be a good fit for your needs, but their quality engineering deserves fair consideration.

Not at all a laundry fanatic, just happy to have one consumer good in my life that delivers as promised even if upfront cost was a bit more.

P.S. For an amusing counterpoint to ConsumerReport's Samsung recommendation, check out the 1.7 star out of 5 star user ratings as well as the real life customer reviews of this machine on Consumer Reports own site!

https://www.consumerreports.org/product ... /overview/

Makes one wonder if Consumer Reports is really measuring what matters when it comes to washers!