[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FRANK2009

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by FRANK2009 »

Have a few episodes left to watch of "After Life" on Netflix. Sad, depressing, and yet ...funny. I like it. About a man getting on with his life after his wife died. You may need a few episodes to get into it.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

Coben's Stay Close on Nf was a very good 7-parter. So was the earlier The Stranger.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

gerntz wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:15 am Coben's Stay Close on Nf was a very good 7-parter. So was the earlier The Stranger.
+1. Just finished Stay Close and just started The Stranger. I didn't know about The Stranger which came out first. I've read a couple Harlan Coban books and liked them. These two series are unrelated other than the author and a couple of the actors are the same.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

The Book of Boba Fett - Disney+. Another Star Wars-related series. Three episodes so far, new episodes are released every Wednesday. This is a follow-on to the Mandalorian, which was excellent.

The first episode starts really slow. After watching the available episodes, I feel that this is something akin to Sean Connery in his last appearance as James Bond in the film "Never Say Never Again." The Bond character was an aging MI6 agent, and Boba Fett is an aging Mandalorian. Boba is supposed to be in his early 40's, but the lead actor, Temuera Morrison, is 61. Not sure if the word "spry" could be used to describe Boba's fight scenes. :D

Still waiting on season four of Stranger Things to be released.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:24 am
gerntz wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:15 am Coben's Stay Close on Nf was a very good 7-parter. So was the earlier The Stranger.
+1. Just finished Stay Close and just started The Stranger. I didn't know about The Stranger which came out first. I've read a couple Harlan Coban books and liked them. These two series are unrelated other than the author and a couple of the actors are the same.
I watched the first episode of Stay Close and will probably watch more. However, I found the "background" music way too loud, distracting, and annoying. Maybe it's just me, or my aging ears....
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

rterickson wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:05 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:49 pm I'm Wallander-ing... watching the Wallander series starring Rolf Lassgard. This is the least popular of the Wallander series (there are two other series with different actors), but thought I'd start there. Lassgard is an unusual choice for a leading character and I have been ambivalent. But as the series goes on and there are more dramatic storylines, I can appreciate his acting chops and almost overlook the rest. :)
I've read all of the books, and watched the Swedish (Krister Henriksson) BBC (Kenneth Branagh) versions. What platform is this third version on?
I wasn't too helpful when I originally answered your question bc I got the media from our local library. But *facepalm* , I should have directed you to YouTube! That's where I get most of my old shows and some of the foreign ones. I don't know if all the eppies are there for the first series bc I just did a quick look. But there are eppies from both versions of the Swedish series.. the one with Lassgard and the one with Henriksson.

I revisited this as I was looking for a "fun"series to take the place of "The Paper Chase" which I just finished (it provided a light interlude to the darker shows I was watching).

In its place, I am watching "Gumby". :) There seem to be about 80 or so Gumby eps on YouTube and I've watched the first few. They are very short and very spacy. :D
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

FRANK2009 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:08 am Have a few episodes left to watch of "After Life" on Netflix. Sad, depressing, and yet ...funny. I like it. About a man getting on with his life after his wife died. You may need a few episodes to get into it.
We just finished season 3. While not as good as the first two seasons, we really loved this show. Really loved the honesty of the characters, even with all their quirkiness. This is one of my favorite all time shows TBH.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Re-watched "The Witcher" season 1, and finished season 2. I preferred season 1 as I enjoyed the more episodic nature of that season, and wished they could have continued season 2 in a similar vein. That said, season 2 had some good episodes, and it's more linear nature seems to have placated the critics. Looking forward to season 3.

"Wheel of Time" - season 1. Mediocre but watchable. Looks like they blatantly added profanity and light nudity just to add more appeal to the GoT fans. I did not think the characters in general were strongly developed, and in a lot of ways distinctly unlikable.

"The Chestnut Man" season 1. Netflix nordic noir. I thought it was well-written and acted, and it did get good reviews. That said, the ending was a bit over the top. And it seemed to me the police were distinctly dense - not asking some very obvious questions as the murder investigations progressed.
Last edited by Barkingsparrow on Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Witcher, Season 2 on Netflix. I just watched Episode 1. BTW, this series is available in 4K Ultra HD. I have the "Ultra HD" plan and very much enjoy the scenery details.
stoptothink wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:52 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:41 pm Squid Games, on Netflix. I don't know why this show is getting good reviews. It seems like a parody of the 1960's British TV series The Prisoner. Since I already watched a few episodes to see if it got any better, I might as well finish watching. Meh.
Everybody I talked to thought it had a much deeper meaning than it did. IMO, it was less than mediocre; we watched it all the way through only because so many people had told us how fantastic it was and we were in fear of missing something amazing that never happened.
To follow-up, I stopped watching Squid Game and gave it a down-vote. I then deleted it from my viewing history.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:30 am To follow-up, I stopped watching Squid Game and gave it a down-vote. I then deleted it from my viewing history.
I have to admit - I binged Squid Game, I was hooked. The violence is a little over-the-top (of course), but I will say this > there are a couple genuinely harrowing scenes, particularly the final game and lead up to it. The Marble Game episode could be one of the must gut wrenching, powerful episodes of TV I've ever seen.

Having written that, the series as a whole struggled toward the end. Some of the plot machinations get really weird, and the last episode sorta fizzles out with its various twists and turns, so skipping it is probably not your worst decision ever.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

sureshoe wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:41 am
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:30 am To follow-up, I stopped watching Squid Game and gave it a down-vote. I then deleted it from my viewing history.
I have to admit - I binged Squid Game, I was hooked. The violence is a little over-the-top (of course), but I will say this > there are a couple genuinely harrowing scenes, particularly the final game and lead up to it. The Marble Game episode could be one of the must gut wrenching, powerful episodes of TV I've ever seen.

Having written that, the series as a whole struggled toward the end. Some of the plot machinations get really weird, and the last episode sorta fizzles out with its various twists and turns, so skipping it is probably not your worst decision ever.
I like the series. It was not perfect or even close but it was different and held my interest. What I didn't like, and I am guessing something was lost in translation (dubbing or subtitles), is some things that were supposed to be funny were just silly. Particularly with one character (I don't know her name) that carried on in a very silly manner several times in an unrealistic way. It was stupid and not funny.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

tooluser wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:54 pm
tomsense76 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:58 pm
tooluser wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:09 pm Finished season 3 of Goliath on Amazon Prime, which I had not had for a year but repurchased for inflight entertainment options. It was good, less horror and more legal than season 2. Season 4 is supposed to be coming out this year. It's supposed to be the final season.
Looking forward to season 4. Bummed it's the final season though
I don't know when they posted it, but I watched the Season 4 preview trailer today on Amazon Prime. It looks good. A voiceover mentioned that this is the "final battle". Bruce Dern is in it, and the guy from the Farmer's Insurance commercials apparently plays the bad guy, head of an opiate manufacturer.
Finished up Goliath Season 4. I didn't like the final courtroom antics, or everyone walking into rooms in dangerous situations without turning the lights on, but I wish there would be more seasons. Mild and somewhat misleading spoiler: I wish Marva had had a happier ending.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

Currently watching "Book of Boba Fett" and "Hawkeye".

Surprisingly (I'm a huge Star Wars fan), I'm enjoying "Hawkeye" quite a bit more. So far I have found Boba Fett to be pretty boring, honestly. It doesn't hold a candle to "Mandalorian" despite (I think) having the same writing crew behind it. Maybe it's the issue of trying to make a villain into the "hero" of the show that is bugging me. Who knows.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Have a free week of Showtime so I threw the current reboot, "Dexter: New Blood", on. (We both liked the original Dexter series.)

Greatly underwhelmed after two episodes.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Blues wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:19 am Have a free week of Showtime so I threw the current reboot, "Dexter: New Blood", on. (We both liked the original Dexter series.)

I agree that it starts slowly. But then it gets progressively better.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:23 am
Blues wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:19 am Have a free week of Showtime so I threw the current reboot, "Dexter: New Blood", on. (We both liked the original Dexter series.)

I agree that it starts slowly. But then it gets progressively better.
Thanks. :beer

I found the acting a bit wooden as well, but since there's not much else on, besides sports and the upcoming final season of "Ozark" on Friday, we'll probably keep slogging through. Probably. I think. LOL.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Tubes wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:33 pm Watching "Station Eleven" on HBO.

I'd best describe it as how artists would act in a catastrophic pandemic.

Very different than typical pandemic dystopia. Only 3 of 10 episodes have dropped. I'll give it a chance. Episode 2 almost lost me. Ep 3 was better.

Knowledge of Shakespeare not required, but it would enhance the experience, especially for ep 2.
Finished watching it last week on HBO Max. I found some of the episodes confusing with all the character changes and jumping back and forth through time, but I hung in through all ten. Now that I understand it all I might go back and watch it again. In the meantime, to help others here's a link with recaps of each individual episode...

https://www.vulture.com/tv/station-eleven/
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

MAKsdad wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:59 am Currently watching "Book of Boba Fett" and "Hawkeye".

Surprisingly (I'm a huge Star Wars fan), I'm enjoying "Hawkeye" quite a bit more. So far I have found Boba Fett to be pretty boring, honestly. It doesn't hold a candle to "Mandalorian" despite (I think) having the same writing crew behind it. Maybe it's the issue of trying to make a villain into the "hero" of the show that is bugging me. Who knows.
The wife is a huge Star Wars nerd, she has said the same thing about "Boba Fett" (I haven't watched and am not interested). "Hawkeye" was surprisingly good, definitely one of the better Marvel universe TV series.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

cheese_breath wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:32 am
Tubes wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:33 pm Watching "Station Eleven" on HBO.

I'd best describe it as how artists would act in a catastrophic pandemic.

Very different than typical pandemic dystopia. Only 3 of 10 episodes have dropped. I'll give it a chance. Episode 2 almost lost me. Ep 3 was better.

Knowledge of Shakespeare not required, but it would enhance the experience, especially for ep 2.
Finished watching it last week on HBO Max. I found some of the episodes confusing with all the character changes and jumping back and forth through time, but I hung in through all ten. Now that I understand it all I might go back and watch it again. In the meantime, to help others here's a link with recaps of each individual episode...

https://www.vulture.com/tv/station-eleven/
It was a satisfying story, but I agree the number and versions of characters (different ages) can add a lot of confusion.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:30 am
To follow-up, I stopped watching Squid Game and gave it a down-vote. I then deleted it from my viewing history.
Curious about what deleting it from viewing history achieves?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

That prevents Netflix from using the show to predict what you'd like to see. Here's the Netflix help: How to hide titles from viewing history
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

Dinner Club on Amazon Prime. Part travelogue, part cooking show--mainly a reminder of the beauty of the people, places, and gastronomy of Italy's various regions. All presented with the humor and conviviality I've so missed around my own table these past two years.

I loved it. Most highly recommended.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Mishigami wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:12 am Dinner Club on Amazon Prime. Part travelogue, part cooking show--mainly a reminder of the beauty of the people, places, and gastronomy of Italy's various regions. All presented with the humor and conviviality I've so missed around my own table these past two years.

This sounds intriguing! I'll have to check this one out.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:04 am
Mishigami wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:12 am Dinner Club on Amazon Prime. Part travelogue, part cooking show--mainly a reminder of the beauty of the people, places, and gastronomy of Italy's various regions. All presented with the humor and conviviality I've so missed around my own table these past two years.

This sounds intriguing! I'll have to check this one out.
Me too!!!! While we’ve had some great dinners with the kids, it just isn’t the same after they’ve gone through a quarantine/testing phase for days. And, as much as I love the kids, I miss our friend/neighbor/visitor dinners and hanging out around the table.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

About halfway through "Succession" season 3. I think this show is likely pretty realistic, and it is fantastic.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:41 pm Squid Games, on Netflix. I don't know why this show is getting good reviews. It seems like a parody of the 1960's British TV series The Prisoner. Since I already watched a few episodes to see if it got any better, I might as well finish watching. Meh.
Everybody I talked to thought it had a much deeper meaning than it did. IMO, it was less than mediocre; we watched it all the way through only because so many people had told us how fantastic it was and we were in fear of missing something amazing that never happened.
I didn't get the hype either. I felt like it was a dystopian story about the rich exploiting the poor/debt-ridden for their entertainment. Decent series but not sure why it was so popular, maybe because of the violence?
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Just finished season 1 of Archive 81 on Netflix It was actually really good. Kind of a horror-ish theme but we'll done. It unfolds itself slowly and keeps you wondering where it is going.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Elsebet wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:47 pm
I didn't get the hype either. I felt like it was a dystopian story about the rich exploiting the poor/debt-ridden for their entertainment. Decent series but not sure why it was so popular, maybe because of the violence?
I admit I binged it and thought it was pretty good, but in retrospect it was a waste of brain cells.

For Korean productions, I thought Parasite was better. It is only a movie so you don't have to invest in a whole series. Similar themes are covered. There is some violence, but it is just a fraction of Squid Game.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

I finished Season 1 of Foundation on Apple TV. I never read the books but thought it was pretty good. These TV shows seems to have huge budgets these days and look really good.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

Elsebet wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:47 pm
I just felt like it was good junk food TV. I didn't think there was anything that I could call "great", but it certainly hooked me and made me want to watch the next episode.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

We were very late to the party, but just finished "The Mandalorian" seasons 1 and 2 on Disney+.

Pros:
- Great music, sets, costumes
- lots of funny in-jokes referring to the movies, my favorite was "Maybe he's a gungan"
- cool to see one of my favorite comedians in the show (Bill Burr)
- Nick Nolte did some great voice acting
- great to see Katee Sackhoff, Rosario Dawson, and Pedro Pascal in the SW universe
- "the child" is extremely cute
- good use of humor, I laughed out loud at the episode where he tried to land his broken-down ship on that pad and instead it went into the water

Cons:
- Kinda campy, but could be part of the charm
- Shows were often very repetitive in structure (Mandalorian goes to planet for thing, has to run errand for thing, Mandalorian wins and gets thing)
- Occasional bouts of Lucas-like cringe dialog

Overall I enjoyed it and look forward to season 3.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Elsebet wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:17 pm We were very late to the party, but just finished "The Mandalorian" seasons 1 and 2 on Disney+.

Pros:
- Great music, sets, costumes
- lots of funny in-jokes referring to the movies, my favorite was "Maybe he's a gungan"
- cool to see one of my favorite comedians in the show (Bill Burr)
- Nick Nolte did some great voice acting
- great to see Katee Sackhoff, Rosario Dawson, and Pedro Pascal in the SW universe
- "the child" is extremely cute
- good use of humor, I laughed out loud at the episode where he tried to land his broken-down ship on that pad and instead it went into the water

Cons:
- Kinda campy, but could be part of the charm
- Shows were often very repetitive in structure (Mandalorian goes to planet for thing, has to run errand for thing, Mandalorian wins and gets thing)
- Occasional bouts of Lucas-like cringe dialog

Overall I enjoyed it and look forward to season 3.
I enjoyed that show, too. It was a bit slow at times, but overall I would recommend it.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Lupin on Netflix (2021)

Two seasons (so far) of this French series about the derring-do of a latter-day Lupin, the gentleman burglar, a French literary classic character. He’s on a quest to avenge the death of his father 25 years earlier. Quite good and with excellent outdoor scenes in and around Paris and Normandy. Some episodes are Hitchcockian, in my opinion. Recommended. In French or dubbed English, and with or without subtitles, as you please.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

I finally finished S5 of "Peaky Blinders" and as mentioned earlier, I liked it.
I just now became aware that there is a S6 Final in the can and it's facing postproduction delays due to various covid delays. It finished filming in March 2020, but I now find out that a Major character passed away before filming started. Said character was due an even more major part of the final story line, but was diagnosed with a fatal prognosis. Apparently, the script had to be completely reworked.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Also wrapped up a 9-episode series from Down Under called "Fat Tony" on Netflix, a "rising crime families vs multiple law enforcement agencies" plot based on a true story.
It's not as good as say, "Underbelly" but it held my interest as this genre is one of my well-liked storylines, and I also get a kick out of Aussie Speak... OY,OY,OY!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We just watched the first episode of the current season of "Billions".

Due to personal circumstances of a key player, there was a major change is the [non]"status quo", so I won't put any spoilers here. Apologies in advance for being cryptic.

Suffice it to say that since last season ended, we forgot enough details so that a key interaction in the new episode didn't quite make sense. So we then re-played the last two episodes of the previous season, which definitely made it all clear, an "oh, why didn't we remember *that*!?" situation. :annoyed

The new episode doesn't seem to have the same "it" factor we liked in the previous seasons, but there's a lot changing so we'll give them a fair chance to develop the characters/situation.
But we aren't sure how it could be anything even close to "the same" under the new circumstances.
We hope it does work out.

A few lesser aspects of the last parts of the previous season may have been to set the stage for the change.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:42 pm Lupin on Netflix (2021)

Two seasons (so far) of this French series about the derring-do of a latter-day Lupin, the gentleman burglar, a French literary classic character. He’s on a quest to avenge the death of his father 25 years earlier. Quite good and with excellent outdoor scenes in and around Paris and Normandy. Some episodes are Hitchcockian, in my opinion. Recommended. In French or dubbed English, and with or without subtitles, as you please.
It's really good.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

JBTX wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:33 am Just finished season 1 of Archive 81 on Netflix It was actually really good. Kind of a horror-ish theme but we'll done. It unfolds itself slowly and keeps you wondering where it is going.
Agreed. enjoyed it but wasn’t expecting much. My kind of horror-ish limited series show. But at this very moment can’t remember wth it was about!!!😳. Guess it can’t be that way good huh?
ScoobyDoo!
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Re-watching The Head on HBO max. limited series of 6 episodes. Reminiscent of John Carpenter’s, The Thing. Just the setting though! Ironically, the movie has a cameo!!! LOL!

Actually didn’t realize i had watched it before until 5 minutes in…then remembered i liked it and is definitely worth a rewatch knowing all the answers now! Definitely recommend as a good mystery to keep your attention. Just the right number of episodes, too! But nothing earth shattering.
ScoobyDoo!
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Capsu78 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:25 pm Also wrapped up a 9-episode series from Down Under called "Fat Tony" on Netflix, a "rising crime families vs multiple law enforcement agencies" plot based on a true story.
It's not as good as say, "Underbelly" but it held my interest as this genre is one of my well-liked storylines, and I also get a kick out of Aussie Speak... OY,OY,OY!
I get that. :) I'm big on accents and dialects, and that's one thing that differs between the Swedish and UK versions of "Wallander". The UK version calls Kurt Wallander "Kurt". The Swedish versions call him "Coot", and they have to pinch their lips together to say that. Strangely, I miss that.

I knew that the Swedes didn't pronounce "J"s and so jacket would be yacket. But this thing about "ur" being "oo" is a new one.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:10 pm We just watched the first episode of the current season of "Billions".

Due to personal circumstances of a key player, there was a major change is the [non]"status quo", so I won't put any spoilers here. Apologies in advance for being cryptic.

Suffice it to say that since last season ended, we forgot enough details so that a key interaction in the new episode didn't quite make sense. So we then re-played the last two episodes of the previous season, which definitely made it all clear, an "oh, why didn't we remember *that*!?" situation. :annoyed

The new episode doesn't seem to have the same "it" factor we liked in the previous seasons, but there's a lot changing so we'll give them a fair chance to develop the characters/situation.
But we aren't sure how it could be anything even close to "the same" under the new circumstances.

A few lesser aspects of the last parts of the previous season may have been to set the stage for the change.

RM
Do you like the new main character? I thought the previous season was pretty terrible, so I didn't even watch the 2nd half of it, but even putting that aside I don't think I would have any interest in the show as it's currently constructed.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

MAKsdad wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:10 am
ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:10 pm We just watched the first episode of the current season of "Billions".

RM
Do you like the new main character? I thought the previous season was pretty terrible, so I didn't even watch the 2nd half of it, but even putting that aside I don't think I would have any interest in the show as it's currently constructed.
Wow! The cast changes in Peaky Blinders and Billions are related!
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

doobiedoo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:37 am Wow! The cast changes in Peaky Blinders and Billions are related!
They are indeed. For some insights see https://bit.ly/3r13Qww as well as links at the bottom of that article. [Using bit.ly to hide spoilers. Link goes to UK Guardian website.]
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:49 am
doobiedoo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:37 am Wow! The cast changes in Peaky Blinders and Billions are related!
They are indeed. For some insights see https://bit.ly/3r13Qww as well as links at the bottom of that article. [Using bit.ly to hide spoilers. Link goes to UK Guardian website.]
Thanks! I didn't know that the "actor" had that big a resume.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:06 pm Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened on Netflix.

I knew the scam festival was a hot mess, but people’s willingness to suspend disbelief is a lesson for all of us. A lot of decent people held out hope against slimmer hope to the bitter end. Sad.
I had to turn it off several times. Not because it was bad, but because it was good. It was unbelievable on several levels. The hubris of the organizers and the stupidity of... well, almost everybody!

Good TV of late -

Joe Pickett (big fan of the books!)
4th season of Ozark (yowza)
Hawkeye (good not great)
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

MAKsdad wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:10 am

RM
We are withholding judgment for at least another episode or two, and maybe more than that. (We've been too quick to tune out a few things that we later came back to; on the other hand, there were many that we hated equally when we gave them another try!)

The last season wasn't that great. A lot of distractions, things we expected were "going somewhere" but... no... Didn't add anything at the time, either.

The affect of the main character reminds me just a bit of Taylor, with speaking almost monotone sometimes, etc.
But it's a huge change, so we'll let them settle in at least a bit (as in real life, eh?).

Are there other series that have successfully navigated such a major change?
I mean, "Poirot" without David Suchet... (okay, not quite the same thing, but still...).

Recently, we've switched a lot to watching old ice skating championships. Some of the skills... not human!
And some of the music is nice, too.
But I guess those things aren't "TV shows"?

It's amazing what is so easily available at the touch of a button or two, especially for those of us who remember when one actually needed to get up off the old sofa to change a channel, and had very few choices anyway.
Our goal for now is to try to keep TV to be a "pleasant distraction". Real life is providing enough of "the other". :(

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Peacekeeper on HBOMax.
Spin-off off the character from THE Suicide Squad (very good comic book movie btw). This is the funniest and best DC Comic TV SHOW ever made imho. John Cena is terrific as the flawed “hero” that wants peace “no matter how many men, women, and children I have to kill”. Recruited to a VERY flawed team to counter the Butterfly threat, he tries to become the hero of his own story, not just a murderer.
Be aware it is extremely violent with explicit language and sex scenes. I look forward to see how the threat of the Butterflies is resolved. Plus I want a Vigilante spin off.
If you want a good laugh, search for the opening credit dance scene on YouTube. Or just click here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrr3UNALww
JackieBog46

Post by JackieBog46 »

I've made several posts about how great Heartland is during the past 3 years only to be crucified by a few members of this group. [Expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] For 2021, Heartland was the fifth most-watched show on Netflix in the US with 29.5 BILLION viewing minutes. That's almost twice as popular as any Netflix original show. All by word-of-mouth. Who knew?

Link:

https://tvshowpilot.com/tv-news/heartla ... Rq7nz_ETjc
Last edited by JackieBog46 on Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

JackieBog46 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:00 am I've made several posts about how great Heartland is during the past 3 years only to be crucified by a few members of this group.
Speaking as a Canadian taxpayer, "Y'er welcome!" :beer
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Finished S5 Peaky Blinders - very good.

Watched season of Stay Close - very good

Started watching S3 of After Life - quickly, but enjoyable.

Also on last season of Narcos - Mexico. I liked the original Narcos better.

Next on the list is Ozarks.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ