[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ResearchMed

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ResearchMed »

JBTX wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:56 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:05 pm
Cruise wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:33 pm After snoozing through the first episode of Mare of Easttown, returned to the True Detective triology on HBO Max, finishing up Season 3. We thought Seasons 1 and 3 were superb, and Season 2 just OK. What an inspired group of award-winning actors: Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Collin Farrell, and Mahershala Ali!
I found the first episode of Mare of Easttown terribly boring, but DW & I stuck it out. Subsequent episodes moved much more quickly. I found the series worthwhile but not outstanding. I liked the first season of True Detective, hated the second, and passed on the third.

We just finished the latest Kim's Convenience and are currently enjoying the latest season of The Kominsky Method.
Same on Mare of Easttown. About half way through the first episode I was ready give it up. Completely uninteresting. My wife had watched and said it was good so I went back and finished it. It does become interesting and is worth fighting through the first episode.
We didn't want to fight.
We just surrendered part way through that first episode.
Too many other things to spend our time on even "if" we might have enjoyed later episodes.
It was just too painful.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:59 pm
JBTX wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:56 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:05 pm
Cruise wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:33 pm After snoozing through the first episode of Mare of Easttown, returned to the True Detective triology on HBO Max, finishing up Season 3. We thought Seasons 1 and 3 were superb, and Season 2 just OK. What an inspired group of award-winning actors: Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Collin Farrell, and Mahershala Ali!
I found the first episode of Mare of Easttown terribly boring, but DW & I stuck it out. Subsequent episodes moved much more quickly. I found the series worthwhile but not outstanding. I liked the first season of True Detective, hated the second, and passed on the third.

We just finished the latest Kim's Convenience and are currently enjoying the latest season of The Kominsky Method.
Same on Mare of Easttown. About half way through the first episode I was ready give it up. Completely uninteresting. My wife had watched and said it was good so I went back and finished it. It does become interesting and is worth fighting through the first episode.
We didn't want to fight.
We just surrendered part way through that first episode.
Too many other things to spend our time on even "if" we might have enjoyed later episodes.
It was just too painful.

RM
At the very end of the first episode it picks up and by episode 2 it becomes interesting.

That first episode serves as a backdrop and introduction to the characters, as painful as it is.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Just started S2 of "The Startup" on Netflix. We like it a lot. Not to take anything away from "Ozark" or "Halt and Catch Fire", I'm feeling the same way about "Startup" fter S1 as I did about those other 2...Character build up is very good, storyline twisty and turny and a number of times where we just said "wow!' Hope S2 and 3 can hold up.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Capsu78 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:14 pm Just started S2 of "The Startup" on Netflix. We like it a lot. Not to take anything away from "Ozark" or "Halt and Catch Fire", I'm feeling the same way about "Startup" fter S1 as I did about those other 2...Character build up is very good, storyline twisty and turny and a number of times where we just said "wow!' Hope S2 and 3 can hold up.
Thanks.

ANYTHING that is compared (favorably!) with "Halt and Catch Fire" is worth checking out! :happy

RM
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I put that on my list.

I watched 1 episode of Get Shorty on Netflix and was not impressed. Based on a mention in the thread here, I'm now watching Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime.

It's a sci-fi series based on Philip K. Dick's stories. There are 10 independent episodes. I watched the first one last night and liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:40 pm I watched 1 episode of Get Shorty on Netflix and was not impressed.
Yes, I was disappointed by the TV version of Get Shorty. I gave it 3 or 4 episodes and could see it was going to be one of those never-ending stories where our heroes get frustrated by one thing after another but manage to cleverly pull through 'till the next one. There was no end in sight I figured I'd leave them to sort out their own problems. This was the exact same thing that put me off of Sneaky Pete.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:33 pm
Capsu78 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:14 pm Just started S2 of "The Startup" on Netflix. We like it a lot. Not to take anything away from "Ozark" or "Halt and Catch Fire", I'm feeling the same way about "Startup" fter S1 as I did about those other 2...Character build up is very good, storyline twisty and turny and a number of times where we just said "wow!' Hope S2 and 3 can hold up.
Thanks.

ANYTHING that is compared (favorably!) with "Halt and Catch Fire" is worth checking out! :happy

RM
We just watched "The Startup".
Wow. What a story.

The access they had to the interactions, relatively private conversations and meetings... that was astonishing.

But what happened later to one of the main characters... VERY interesting, and it gives a possibly very different perspective about the interaction between the two main figures during the "Startup" time.

RM
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Thanks.

RM

Startup was entertaining and I enjoyed it, but in my opinion it does not even come close to Halt and Catch Fire territory. HCF (after season one) was a great show.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

AllMostThere wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:10 pm I just discovered "Brockmire" with Hank Azaria and Amanda Peet. Very dark & twisted humor about a fallen MLB Play-by-Play Announcer who is trying to re-group his life and get back to the big game after a very embarrassing on-air meltdown during a game. Most of Azaria's lines are pure descriptive poetry (while all very inappropriate) and funny beyond belief. Not your typical comedy and definitely not for the conservative at heart. :twisted:
We loved this series also! My only criticism was the last season was a very confusing departure from the rest of the series.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Star Trek TOS (The Original Series) — The Alternative Factor — first aired March 30, 1967, Season 1 Episode 27.

I don’t know how I missed this episode but I’d never seen it, and now I wish I hadn’t, it was so bad. Actually it had me laughing so it did have entertainment value for me. It was poorly written and poorly acted. There are repetitive scenes and a plot that was incomprehensible until near the end and not close to being believable. The original guest-star was a no-show so they had to come up with another actor at the last minute and so their shooting schedule was time-constrained. I streamed it on Netflix.

Synopsis: Existence itself comes under threat from a man's power-struggle with his alternate self, with the Enterprise's strained dilithium crystals presenting his key to a final solution.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

MDfan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:39 am
Thanks.

RM

Startup was entertaining and I enjoyed it, but in my opinion it does not even come close to Halt and Catch Fire territory. HCF (after season one) was a great show.
The Startup will need to keep building to reach HCF quality, but the pace IMO has similarities so far. Interestingly, S1 of HCFwas one of our favorites, but DW has an IBM stint on her rusume.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Capsu78 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:18 pm
Thanks.

RM

The Startup will need to keep building to reach HCF quality, but the pace IMO has similarities so far. Interestingly, S1 of HCFwas one of our favorites, but DW has an IBM stint on her rusume.

I actually stopped watching HCF during Season 1 and came back and picked it up later after hearing good things. I think it may have been the first few episodes that didn't grab me, but the show definitely caught its stride by the end of Season 1. For me, Startup was just an entertaining diversion like many other shows on Netflix. Kind of like Kingdom (the MMA show), although I liked Kingdom (and Ozark) much better. I will say I definitely enjoyed season 1 of Startup much more than 2 & 3.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Capsu78 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:18 pm
Thanks.

RM

:shock:

We watched the WRONG "Startup"!

We watched the DOCUMENTARY, "Startup.com":

It "traces the birth and failure of new media company govWorks.com".

It's a true story. Not a "series".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fd8pdniJZk

And the access that the producers (and cameras) got was absolutely amazing.
I'd love to know the story behind how *that* was arranged... and how they kept access as things got more sensitive and dicey...
That kept seeming more and more remarkable... how... why the entrepreneurs kept allowing the camera crew to following them around.
And why some of the VC firms (e.g., Kleiner Perkins), etc., also allowed the camera crew in to some of those meetings.

I couldn't figure out what the discussion about "seasons" was about... so I finally looked further.

:oops:

Too funny!

RM
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

HACK....on HBO Max
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:13 pm Star Trek TOS (The Original Series) — The Alternative Factor — first aired March 30, 1967, Season 1 Episode 27.

I don’t know how I missed this episode but I’d never seen it, and now I wish I hadn’t, it was so bad. Actually it had me laughing so it did have entertainment value for me. It was poorly written and poorly acted. There are repetitive scenes and a plot that was incomprehensible until near the end and not close to being believable. The original guest-star was a no-show so they had to come up with another actor at the last minute and so their shooting schedule was time-constrained. I streamed it on Netflix.

Synopsis: Existence itself comes under threat from a man's power-struggle with his alternate self, with the Enterprise's strained dilithium crystals presenting his key to a final solution.
I love watching the old Star Trek shows for no other reason than to laugh at the special effects and some of the Shatner over reactions! I do enjoy TNG, DS-9, an the other later shows, though.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:50 am I love watching the old Star Trek shows for no other reason than to laugh at the special effects and some of the Shatner over reactions! I do enjoy TNG, DS-9, an the other later shows, though.
One of the sci-fi TV shows I watched in the 1950s had very lame sets. I think rock formations on alien planets were simply various pieces of furniture piled up with blankets draped over the pile. TV being in fuzzy shades of gray helped make that work. Even to me as a kid it was obviously fake but it simply did not bother me, or I'm sure others in the TV audience. Kids were really good at fleshing out the effects. We knew what it represented and that was good enough.

I was thinking it was Captain Video but Google shows me slightly more sophisticated sets so I am not sure. Perhaps long shots used stock images of various southwestern scenery and close-in shots used the blankets-on-furniture technique. I distinctly remember a couple of guys squatting down in front of such a "rock" formation discussing something.

Shatner used to be famous for being Captain Kirk. Now he is famous for being --- William Shatner! More power to him.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Captain Video and his video rangers, trailer. Enjoy :D .

Does anyone else remember Tobor?
Last edited by ruralavalon on Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:06 am Captain Video and his video rangers, trailer. Enjoy :D .

Does anyone else remember Tobor?
Yes, with that reminder, I remember. Robot spelled backwards!
Blues

Post by Blues »

The 8 Man!
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Really enjoying Loki so far on Disney+.

Amazing how they keep producing such high level and enjoyable content from the Marvel Universe. As a comic fan, I've enjoyed every minute of it. Just wish DC could get their act together and do the same.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Blues wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:18 amThe 8 Man!
I believe it's the 8th man. Here's the first episode: Tobor the 8 Man - Episode 1: Introducing Eightman (1965) (Ignore the title and watch the episode intro.)

And then there's Astroboy followed by Astrogirl, not to mention Ultraman. Search YouTube for the episodes.
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:40 pm ...I watched 1 episode of Get Shorty on Netflix and was not impressed. Based on a mention in the thread here, I'm now watching Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime.

It's a sci-fi series based on Philip K. Dick's stories. There are 10 independent episodes. I watched the first one last night and liked it.
I forgot to mention that I'm watching Electric Dreams in Ultra High-def. I don't think the program material itself is in this resolution, but it's advertised as UHD and my TV recognizes the mode. Perhaps the intro is in UHD. In any case, an episode I just watched had Bryan Cranston of Breaking Bad fame in a lead role.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Blues

Post by Blues »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:50 am
Blues wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:18 amThe 8 Man!
I believe it's the 8th man. Here's the first episode: Tobor the 8 Man - Episode 1: Introducing Eightman (1965) (Ignore the title and watch the episode intro.)

Those of us who grew up in the time period, at least in my neck of the woods, (I was 13 in late 1965), referred to him as the Eight (8) Man, not the 8th man. Your mileage may vary.

Anyway...
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:50 amsome of the Shatner over reactions!
Which I used to think was poor acting. Then I learned he started his career as a Shakespearian actor and understudy to Christopher Plummer. Now I'm not so sure.
bertilak wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:50 amShatner used to be famous for being Captain Kirk. Now he is famous for being --- William Shatner! More power to him.
Then he became famous for being Denny Crane--or at least he thought so.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Atlantic Crossing. It is about the relationship between FDR and the Crown Princess of Norway during WW II. There is some question about the historical accuracy of the portrayal: They may have been close friends, lovers or just allies. Regardless, good show.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:14 am
IowaFarmWife wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:50 amsome of the Shatner over reactions!
Which I used to think was poor acting. Then I learned he started his career as a Shakespearian actor and understudy to Christopher Plummer. Now I'm not so sure.
It's not poor acting but a persona he does very well and has made millions from. I might agree with "lazy" acting!
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I'm a SF Giants fan and have moved to the east coast. We pay for MLB extra innings in order to see the Giants games, which costs about $20 a month. Last weekend NBC decided to air the 3 games between the Giants and the Phillies on Peacock exclusively, so we missed the games. It's live streaming and can't be recorded, so the games have to be watched live. We don't stay up that late so that wasn't an option. You have to download the free app, which I did. NBC and the MLB did the same thing earlier in the year by having a game that was exclusive to YouTube, and since we don't subscribe, we missed that one too.

We have a fairly new (2019) Samsung smart T.V. and although the instructions on Peacock say you are supposed to be able to pause, fast forward, and reverse the program it didn't work for us. They claim to have replay (rebroadcast) of the games, and we saw that they had two of the games listed to watch on replay, but we were too busy and thought we'd watch them later. Sorry, the third game of three never made it to replay and the first two disappeared the next day later before we could watch them.

NBC Bay Area (NBCBA) broadcasts the games for free in CA, but you can't get them on the east coast unless you subscribe to MLB extra innings, even though our Direct TV subscription lists NBCBA. NBCBA is scheduled to be eliminated this year and NBC now says they are thinking of live streaming all the Giants games on Peacock. I guess that will be the end of my ability to watch the games unless I stay up until 2 in the morning.

Any thoughts from Giants or Phillies fans? Since NBC is a national network I would expect this restriction to spread to other states. In my opinion this is simply another way to wring more money out of consumers for what should be a previously unneeded subscription, but this time, it comes with an unusable app that won't let you record the games to watch them while you're actually awake.

BTW, other MLB teams are now signing contracts with Peacock, with other sports to follow soon.
canidothat

Post by canidothat »

currently watching the office while rewatching modern family and glee. :D
snapping moments–one bajillion buttons at a time
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ vested1- I was on the losing end (Phillies :annoyed ) and missed the series because I didn't have Peacock. Your comments are about subscription / network provider agreements. I recommend starting a new topic to keep this discussion focused on running / streaming shows.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

LIne of Duty, s1e1 on Hulu. It's a British police corruption show. Apparently in its 6th season.

The first episode while a meet the characters show gets off to a fast start with a raid. Lots of shifting stories in the episode.
Who do you believe now? I'll watch another.

The NYT calls it "One of the most highly regarded crime dramas in the history of British TV ..."
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Blackspace, on Netflix. Israeli detective series in first (and only?) season. Not perfect, but highly recommend.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Your Honor - showtime - Bryan Cranston. It's pretty good, not great but I made it through.

Bosch final season - Amazon prime - solid, as usual, and worth the watch.

Orphan Black - Amazon - this show is highly rated, but I've watched 2 episodes and I just can't get into it. Seems like an interesting premise but the show seems needlessly rushed, and the constant background music is busy body filler, intensely annoying, trying to signal every mood change

Sense 8 - another Sci fi generally highly rated. Second time I tried it. Got through two episodes but just isn't engaging me.

Finished latest season of Handmaids tale. Good season, with some ups and downs. End is a bit bizarre but satisfying in a sadistic sort of way.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Has anyone seen Clarksons Farm on Prime? Quite a funny series about a famous British race car driver(?) who buys a 500 acre farm in the Cotswolds with little or no prior farming experience. Warning: rated R for bad language.
DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings »

cbeck wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:03 pm Don't know it it's been suggest already, but "The Bureau" or " Le Bureau des Renseignements" is a French spy thriller that ran for five years. Quite good, just a notch below "Breaking Bad" in my opinion. It was big phenomenon in France.
The first episode was a bit confusing. I watched 2 more episodes after that and found them to be slow and not compelling. I did not watch anymore because after the first 3 episodes a paid subscription to Sundance was required.

The latest seasons of "Bosch" and "Homecoming" have been released on Amazon and they are excellent.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

DrippingSprings wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:26 pm
cbeck wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:03 pm Don't know it it's been suggest already, but "The Bureau" or " Le Bureau des Renseignements" is a French spy thriller that ran for five years. Quite good, just a notch below "Breaking Bad" in my opinion. It was big phenomenon in France.
The first episode was a bit confusing. I watched 2 more episodes after that and found them to be slow and not compelling. I did not watch anymore because after the first 3 episodes a paid subscription to Sundance was required.

The latest seasons of "Bosch" and "Homecoming" have been released on Amazon and they are excellent.
As the saying goes, this is what makes horse races. I think The Bureau is among the best TV I’ve ever watched. I have tried to like Bosch, but I find the acting execrable.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:37 pm
DrippingSprings wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:26 pm

As the saying goes, this is what makes horse races. I think The Bureau is among the best TV I’ve ever watched. I have tried to like Bosch, but I find the acting execrable.
If you thought it execrable in the past, you are indeed fortunate, my friend, that you did not invest the time in this final series. The plot was weak, the acting wooden, the wokeness predictable and, well, that's all I have to say about that. As for "Homecoming"...oy vey, don't get me started.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Just finished "Broadchurch" the British 3 year series...excellent. Sad to see it go. "Millah!" The Scottish accent of Hardy was a bit difficult to translate, especially when he got excited, but what a show...all three years.

Next up is Bosch...one of my favorites over the years as I am a big fan of the books.

Lupin is coming also from what I hear.

Ed
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I'm on season three of The Americans and loving it. My favorite show of all time.

Next up will be Bosch season 7. Then The Crown when it re-starts.

Since I'm fairly new to the non-network TV game, I also will be seeking out some of the older popular shows like Breaking Bad and The Wire.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

I just got done with Bosch season 7. Another excellent season and show finale.

I'll miss the show.

Update:. Good news. There will be a Bosch spin off!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newswe ... 87%3famp=1

"Much of the team behind Bosch and many of the actors in the show are confirmed to return for the follow-up."
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Death in Paradise, on Britbox via Amazon Prime.

We finally broke down and started a subscription to Britbox on Amazon Prime, and are watching newer episodes of Death in Paradise.

This is a crime drama set in the British Virgin Islands, beautifully filmed on the island of Guadeloupe, now in its tenth season. An ever-changing team of police officers investigate murders in paradise, drama with humor provided by their individual quirks and personal lives.

Highly recommended :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Went through 3 seasons of Manifest on Netflix. Flight full of passengers lands and find they have arrived 5 years later, nobody knows why, and afterwards a whole series of odd events take place. At times it is a bit cheezy and hokey but for some reason it held my attention, as something else is always coming up.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Silicon Valley on HBO.

If you're an IT techy, or not, you'll enjoy.

IT comedy.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Startup, on Netflix. Based on the recommendations in this thread, I gave it a try. I do agree it's not quite up to the "Breaking Bad" or "Halt and Catch Fire" quality, but it's very good. Lots of suspense, along with twists and turns in the plot. Also, some very good acting.

I just finished Bosch, the final (7th) season. Other than the show itself, I thought the opening intro was cool. 8-)
Blues

Post by Blues »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:31 pm Startup, on Netflix. Based on the recommendations in this thread, I gave it a try. I do agree it's not quite up to the "Breaking Bad" or "Halt and Catch Fire" quality, but it's very good. Lots of suspense, along with twists and turns in the plot. Also, some very good acting.

I just finished Bosch, the final (7th) season. Other than the show itself, I thought the opening intro was cool. 8-)
We just finished "Startup" the other night. It was fun and enjoyable, despite having to suspend reality quite a bit.

Just started "Halt and Catch Fire"...three episodes in. Interesting. Hope it's as good as people say.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Week or two ago I watched Lupin on Netflix. I liked it more than I expected.

Currently watching most recent season of Mayans. It's OK. Not quite as action packed and over the top as Sons of Anarchy. Bit more subdued but still occasionally very violent.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

The Andy Griffith Show.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Recently finished:

Veep--hilarious and irreverent

Mare of Easttown--Kate Winslet is just a marvel. They really go all out on that Delaware Co. accent. Finally someone says the long O like I do and pronouces 'wutter' correctly

Mandalorian, S1 & S2--way better than I expected. My wife now has a stuffed Grogu.

Line of Duty S5--terrific police procedural about an anti-corruption unit in the UK

Orphan Black--finally finished this after watching the first 4.5 seasons--loved the first 3 seasons and was invested enough to finish it but it started to get a little silly by the end.

Lupin Parts I&II--super enjoyable and relatively light; great shots of Paris

Bosch S7: love Bosch but glad it ended without going rapidly downhill. The first 2 eps of the season left a lot to be desired IMO and I thought it was limping to the finish but it picked up and finished well enough

In the middle of:

Mosquito Coast--so far pretty good. well-acted. I haven't read any reviews or heard anything one way or another but it's good 3 eps in.

Lovecraft Country--I have to watch this one alone and I'm not a huge horror fan but it's fascinating. Picking my way through it slowly, I'm halfway done.

Gave up on:

Treme. I really want to like this. I like the writers, I like the actors. But I've tried twice and can't get further than about episode 3.

Ozark. Will probably return to this; I can't put my finger on it but it seemed like a lesser version of other shows that were so much better (Breaking Bad, The Americans)
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I just finished "The Americans". I'm grieving that the series is over. It is the Gold Standard.

I will continue to grieve before moving on to "Bosch" S7.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

MoonOrb wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:13 pm
Ozark. Will probably return to this; I can't put my finger on it but it seemed like a lesser version of other shows that were so much better (Breaking Bad, The Americans)
It gets better, very Breaking Bad-ish with the character archs. I can't believe you put The Americans in the same sentence as Ozark and Breaking Bad; that is one of those shows (Sons of Anarchy another) that we kept trying to "muscle through" because others told us it was good, and eventually just gave up.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I love this thread! We have intelligent, observant, and discerning posters who disagree about some series: The Bureau, The Americans, Sons of Anarchy, Ozark, Bosch, etc. Darned if I can figure out who will like which. And, to repeat one of my favorite sayings, “that’s what makes horse races.”
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
SethJane42

Post by SethJane42 »

Tatort: Lindholm