[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MDfan

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MDfan »

apple44 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:23 am Watching "Succession" now. Many podcasts I'm following are discussing/referencing this show (the main topics often unrelated to TV entertainment), so I have to watch it in order to understand what the hosts are talking about :happy
Great show.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Jim Gaffigan: Comedy Monster on Netflix.

Have always liked Jim. This special is a mixed bag. The riff on friends with beliefs about Tom Hanks had me shaking my head. Very un-Gaffigan topic.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Am early in S8 (out of 10) of "Spooks". The later seasons are the most imaginative. Maybe somewhat unbelievable but they're certainly entertaining.

Head spook Harry is a comforting presence during these insane and convoluted plots where someone with a moral compass and yet an eye for the bigger view is needed. I gotta admit, as bad as some of the traditional enemies are, it's Harry's scenes with the Home Secretary and the head of Joint Intelligence that are the most chilling. How the the pros and cons of direct action are weighed is pretty uncomfortable to watch. I'm guessing Harry will remain for the entire show as its comforting anchor. I say this not just because he's needed, but he's survived the entire show so far. :)

And glad they brought one of the characters back. :)
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

roamingzebra wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:17 pm Am early in S8 (out of 10) of "Spooks". The later seasons are the most imaginative. Maybe somewhat unbelievable but they're certainly entertaining.

Head spook Harry is a comforting presence during these insane and convoluted plots where someone with a moral compass and yet an eye for the bigger view is needed. I gotta admit, as bad as some of the traditional enemies are, it's Harry's scenes with the Home Secretary and the head of Joint Intelligence that are the most chilling. How the the pros and cons of direct action are weighed is pretty uncomfortable to watch. I'm guessing Harry will remain for the entire show as its comforting anchor. I say this not just because he's needed, but he's survived the entire show so far. :)
Ahhh... Spooks (called MI-5 when it aired on A&E in butchered form.)

I watched it from start to end when it originally aired. Many of the characters went on to star in other great shows, most recently Matthew Macfadyen in Succession.

Did you catch Hugh Laurie as Jools Civester the MI-6 jerk in a few episodes?
Yup. But no spoilers from me either ;)
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

We just finished HBO's The Leftovers. We really wanted to turn it off in the third and final season but felt like we were too far in to stop watching it. The show really made no sense in the end, which was frustrating. Also, I'm not a prude by any means but the show had too much nudity which was not relevant to the plot or added to the scene in any way. I've always hated that in movies and TV and this show epitomizes it (alongside S1 of GoT). It might bring in some more immature viewers but it detracted a lot from the series for me. I will say, the actor who played the brother (and preacher) in the series was excellent.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Finally gave "Peaky Blinders" a try...didn't think I wanted to dedicate that much time to a period piece.

As other up above must have said, it is really good and so I'm bumping my binge up to 2 episodes a day.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Continuing our habit of being late to the party we finally watched Band of Brothers (2001) and the more recent Mare of Easttown. Enjoyed both, although vastly different. Next on the list, Luther and Six Feet Under.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:25 pm Ahhh... Spooks (called MI-5 when it aired on A&E in butchered form.)

I watched it from start to end when it originally aired. Many of the characters went on to star in other great shows, most recently Matthew Macfadyen in Succession.
Good to hear about Matthew.

There were also some real-life relationships forged:

* Macfadyen (Tom) married Keeley Hawes (Zoe)

* Raza Jaffrey (Zaf) married Miranda Raison (Jo)

And in a funny twist, Nicola Walker named her baby after Harry (Peter Firth). :)
Did you catch Hugh Laurie as Jools Civester the MI-6 jerk in a few episodes?
You know, he looked vaguely familiar but I couldn't place him at the time. That was early on when I was still drinking from a fire hose trying to work out the various characters and organizations. But I do remember that opera scene.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

roamingzebra wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:00 pmKeeley Hawes
You may want to watch Bodyguard...
Nicola Walker
..and Unforgotten.

Both are excellent.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:22 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:00 pmKeeley Hawes
You may want to watch Bodyguard...
Nicola Walker
..and Unforgotten.

Both are excellent.
Yup. Watched both.

But my favorite role with Keeley Hawes was "Line of Duty". That was a meaty role and I was glad to see that instead of stopping at season's end, it carried over to another season.

For those who want to see "Spooks", I want to clarify that the drinking-from-the-firehose comment was more about me liking to nerd out than about any over-complexity of the show. "Spooks" is easier to understand than most spy shows because the team is small and everyone has simple names -- mainly one syllable, sometimes two. :) It's the British government that I was trying to figure out as an American viewer. The spy agencies were familiar -- MI-5, MI-6, GCHQ -- all except for Special Branch, but the various Government entities that oversee the spy agencies were not.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

[Post merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I really like this episode of Sliders (Season's Greetings):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0702763/

Lots of things are relevant today. You can now essentially live and work in a mall. I saw this with new builds in Atlanta. Atlanta Station and Avalon come to mind.

https://atlanticstation.com/

https://www.experienceavalon.com/

The credit side of this episode reminds me of the rise of buy now and pay later (BNPL) financing that has blown up over the last couple of years.

https://www.investopedia.com/buy-now-pay-later-5182291

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/fin ... to-compete

I definitely recommend watching it. You can stream on the ROKU Channel app.

The take away is to enjoy Christmas without letting the consumerism go wild. Check it out. And stay frugal.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged rockstar's post into the TV show thread.

Update: This thread was originally posted in the personal finance forum, moved to the Consumer Issues forum, and locked. Upon further review, it's a TV episode review and belongs in this thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:14 pm I merged rockstar's post into the TV show thread.

Update: This thread was originally posted in the personal finance forum, moved to the Consumer Issues forum, and locked. Upon further review, it's a TV episode review and belongs in this thread.
Thanks. I wasn't sure where to put it.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

roamingzebra wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:17 pm Am early in S8 (out of 10) of "Spooks". The later seasons are the most imaginative. Maybe somewhat unbelievable but they're certainly entertaining.

If you are enjoying "Spooks" (which I did, very much, despite the hazard of getting attached to certain characters), I caution you that the last season was pretty awful. The season in which Richard Armitage takes center stage is great, and the one after IIRC. But, the last season does his character (and others) a real disservice.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Just finished Hawkeye on Disney. I'm not a superhero nut (a lot of the movies just seem like blowing up stuff in a very long movie) but this was well done. Humor, action, and a bit of a story. Personally I've enjoyed all of the short series they have done with WandaVision and WinterSoldier (my least favorite).
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

mancich wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:24 am Yellowstone. Almost caught up after binge-watching over the last couple of weeks. Going to start watching 1883 as well..
We are watching Yellowstone as well. On Peacock.

Some TV shows have characters you love to hate. This show has some characters I just hate. But, a very good series.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Mr. A & Mr. M: The Story of A&M Records on Epix.

https://www.epix.com/series/mr-a-mr-m-t ... -m-records

After watching this very interesting documentary - with its great archival footage - I found myself binging on the likes of Joe Cocker, Cat Stevens, Carole King, the Go Gos etc., on Amazon Music.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Matahari wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:35 pm If you are enjoying "Spooks" (which I did, very much, despite the hazard of getting attached to certain characters), I caution you that the last season was pretty awful. The season in which Richard Armitage takes center stage is great, and the one after IIRC. But, the last season does his character (and others) a real disservice.
I think I'm where youre talking about right now. The character in question has suddenly gotten this mysterious backstory. It's haunting him. It's interfering with his job. It's causing him to do bad things. Usually that means they're setting up for an actor to leave the show. But there's only one season left so if he's going to get "character assassinated", it's a real waste.

On a brighter note, I gotta say I loved the evil blonde CIA lady...the abrupt thing that she did. (I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about.) Does the fact that I enjoyed that scene and laughed make me a bad person? :)

And...the not-to-be-named character who returned to the show is making the last few seasons particularly good. It will partly make up for if the other character is going to get trashed.
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

"Joe Pickett" (season 1) on Spectrum. Appears to be be true to the Joe Pickett mystery series(22 books) by C.J. Box although season 1 is a mixture of the first few books. Mr Pickett is a game warden in norther Wyoming who somehow become involved in murder investigations. Nice scenery, a loving but tough wife and 3 young daughters. I liked it a lot and hope their will be a season 2.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Matahari wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:35 pm If you are enjoying "Spooks" (which I did, very much, despite the hazard of getting attached to certain characters), I caution you that the last season was pretty awful. The season in which Richard Armitage takes center stage is great, and the one after IIRC. But, the last season does his character (and others) a real disservice.
Thanks for the warning. The last part of the Richard Armitage storyline was ridiculous and the way the series ended (which involved different actors) was even worse. Even though the latter was one of the more engrossing storylines until...until...until...

Methinks the show hates its viewers.
rixer

Post by rixer »

Creamerie. It's an HBO series that takes place in the near future where a plague spreads over the Earth and kills off the all the men. To reproduce, the women would enter a lottery and chosen ones would be able to access a sperm bank that was stocked before the plague hit.
And then, a woman on a dairy farm finds a man passed out in the field. Apparently some men survived, are being held captive and are being used as donors. ...I think.
But that's where I left off....... I still have more to watch.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

rich126 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:13 pm Just finished Hawkeye on Disney. I'm not a superhero nut (a lot of the movies just seem like blowing up stuff in a very long movie) but this was well done. Humor, action, and a bit of a story. Personally I've enjoyed all of the short series they have done with WandaVision and WinterSoldier (my least favorite).
I enjoyed Hawkeye and Wandavision as well. Haven’t seen Winer Soldier. Having a hard time getting into Loki; have watched two episodes.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Cobra Kai. Watched the first two episodes a couple of weeks ago. Had a hard time getting wifey interested, but something started with episode 3 that got us hooked. Watched seven episodes a couple of nights ago and two more last night, so one episode into season 2.
Blues

Post by Blues »

We're watching "Suspects" on Acorn. A British police drama that's better than I had expected...and than what the reviews on IMDB led me to believe.

Happily surprised

And as a concession to the missus, I continue to endure Cobra Kai. :oops:

Happy New Year. :beer
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Witcher.

And I found Inside of You on YouTube last night: https://www.youtube.com/c/InsideofYouwi ... lRosenbaum It's really good.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Home Fires - a British drama about a town on the WW2 home front, directed by the director of Downton Abbey and featuring some of its stars.

Gosford Park - more Downton redux.

Only human: shopaholics UK. Untying the link humanely between emotional problems, poor habits and overspending.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

All Creatures Great and Small - the new recast. I love it!
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

roamingzebra wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:35 am
Thanks for the warning. The last part of the Richard Armitage storyline was ridiculous and the way the series ended (which involved different actors) was even worse. Even though the latter was one of the more engrossing storylines until...until...until...

Methinks the show hates its viewers.
Yes, I do recall what happened to the blonde CIA operative!

Disappointing end, right? I thought the Richard Armitage character was quite compelling, and very attractive (so long as he kept his shirt on!) I thought the series was best between S3 and S8. The last season made no sense whatsover, though I recall there was an interesting cameo from a long-absent character to round out the series. In any event, I was very relieved that Malcolm survived the series.

If you are a completist, there is a movie that was made years later, starring Kit Harington (Jon Snow of Game of Thrones) -- "Spooks: The Greater Good" (2015) which was not half bad.
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:44 pm All Creatures Great and Small - the new recast. I love it!
Ditto - loved the books, and the show+cast are great.

DW and I just started binging "The Mentalist".
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

We just finished Season 2 of The Witcher and really enjoyed it. We also watched Finding Magic Mike on HBO, it was really enjoyable for what it was.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Matahari wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:26 am
Disappointing end, right? I thought the Richard Armitage character was quite compelling, and very attractive (so long as he kept his shirt on!) I thought the series was best between S3 and S8. The last season made no sense whatsover, though I recall there was an interesting cameo from a long-absent character to round out the series. In any event, I was very relieved that Malcolm survived the series.
Yep. Very disappointing end. I have a bad taste in my mouth in the way the writers went for the outlandish. I did however like the last season even though Harry (just like Lucas before him) sprouted a backstory out of nowhere. I tend to like the Russian stories so that's part of it. Also, there was deception, counter deception and counter-counter deception which fed my need for intrigue. They really kept us guessing who were the bad guys. And the bit with Sasha who was somebody's son, but whose? was interesting. But the way everything ended killed my enthusiasm.

Thanks, show. NOT.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

jjunk wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:56 am We just finished Season 2 of The Witcher and really enjoyed it.
I've watched four episodes, I'm really surprised how much they have deviated from the books, Yen is a completely different person. Whereas there are very few monster slayings in the early saga books, it seems like the have to cram one or two of these in each episode (probably to draw people who play the game I guess). I'm still enjoying it, I guess it would have been hard to adapt the complexity of the books to the screen.

Anyways, I recommend the books, even with the translation issues, they are quite good, I liked better than GOT and WOT.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Cobra Kai” Season 4 on Netflix.

Enjoying it.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Finished “Lost in Space” series on Netflix. Time to end it as it became a hit and run battle of robots. Still overall not bad.

Tony
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Finished “Narcos Mexico” on Netflix - 3 seasons. Loved it.

Tony
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:52 pm Finished “Lost in Space” series on Netflix. Time to end it as it became a hit and run battle of robots. Still overall not bad.

Tony
I actually read about this on a "Generation Jones" website (born roughly between '57 to '64). I am up to S1, E3 and I'm hooked. I'll finish. I like the changes they made from the original series, while still keeping the theme intact. Parker Posie is one bad-as$ antagonist as Dr. Smith!!!
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

"Zach Stone is Going to be Famous"
If you like quirky/funny, this is the one to watch.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Kagord wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:34 am
jjunk wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:56 am We just finished Season 2 of The Witcher and really enjoyed it.
I've watched four episodes, I'm really surprised how much they have deviated from the books, Yen is a completely different person. Whereas there are very few monster slayings in the early saga books, it seems like the have to cram one or two of these in each episode (probably to draw people who play the game I guess). I'm still enjoying it, I guess it would have been hard to adapt the complexity of the books to the screen.

Anyways, I recommend the books, even with the translation issues, they are quite good, I liked better than GOT and WOT.
Yeah I havent read the books but I've heard they were really good. I will need to check them out. I'm a big fan of the video game though.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Tubes wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:39 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:52 pm Finished “Lost in Space” series on Netflix. Time to end it as it became a hit and run battle of robots. Still overall not bad.

Tony
I actually read about this on a "Generation Jones" website (born roughly between '57 to '64). I am up to S1, E3 and I'm hooked. I'll finish. I like the changes they made from the original series, while still keeping the theme intact. Parker Posie is one bad-as$ antagonist as Dr. Smith!!!
Dr. Smith gets to be a trip over the course of the seasons!
Enjoy!
Tony
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Binge watching Psyche. There is just something about shows that came out before the GFC. They're more upbeat.

And I finished the Looming Tower mini series. I'm also reading the book.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Monday Night Football”. Big Ben’s last Home game.

Tony
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

abuss368 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:11 pm “Monday Night Football”. Big Ben’s last Home game.

Tony
A touching moment.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Just finished binge-watching all seasons of Yellowstone. Very interesting and recommend, but found some of the writing poor and storylines insipid in Season 4.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

abuss368 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:11 pm “Monday Night Football”. Big Ben’s last Home game.

Tony
+1

18 years is a long time...will be weird not to see him in there next year.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

"Utopia" on Amazon Prime. Eerily timely, but based on a 2013 British show. Super violent, but we really liked it, sucks it will not be coming back for a 2nd season.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"The Last Kingdom" streaming on Netflix.

I love the Norse (Danes) and Anglo Saxons so I'm biased but I love this show. Is it perfect? No, sometimes the plots get a little confusing, especially in Season 4. I love the acting (especially Alfred's wife Aelswith played by Eliza Butterworth), costumes, and scenery. From what I've read season 5 will be the last followed by a movie, which I think is a good idea. Series that last too long often go bad. Looking forward to both!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

Elsebet wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:46 pm "The Last Kingdom" streaming on Netflix.

I love the Norse (Danes) and Anglo Saxons so I'm biased but I love this show. Is it perfect? No, sometimes the plots get a little confusing, especially in Season 4. I love the acting (especially Alfred's wife Aelswith played by Eliza Butterworth), costumes, and scenery. From what I've read season 5 will be the last followed by a movie, which I think is a good idea. Series that last too long often go bad. Looking forward to both!
I've never seen this show, but I thought I'd quote to ask if people ever think the "finish it up with a movie" concept is a good one for shows like this. I've seen the movies for "Sopranos", "Deadwood" and "Breaking Bad", and I see that there's one coming out for "Ray Donovan" as well. I can't say I loved any of the ones I've seen. "Deadwood" was maybe the best simply because the show needed closure, but otherwise, I think it's ... challenging... to try and make something that lasts 2 hours or so when the audience is used to a story building over the course of 10-15 hours worth of episodes.

Anyway, just a conversation starter.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Capsu78 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:32 pm Finally gave "Peaky Blinders" a try...didn't think I wanted to dedicate that much time to a period piece.

As other up above must have said, it is really good and so I'm bumping my binge up to 2 episodes a day.
I gave it a try a few years ago based on stellar reviews and couldn't get into it. I think it was related to the accents. I watch a fair amount of British shows, but their accents seemed to be either time/geographically influenced. Maybe I should try again with subtitles.....
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:00 pm
Capsu78 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:32 pm Finally gave "Peaky Blinders" a try...didn't think I wanted to dedicate that much time to a period piece.

I gave it a try a few years ago based on stellar reviews and couldn't get into it. I think it was related to the accents. I watch a fair amount of British shows, but their accents seemed to be either time/geographically influenced. Maybe I should try again with subtitles.....
Same exact experience.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:00 pm

Actually, that is how I watch it.