[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hnd

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by hnd »

when i was in 6th grade we needed to do a report on some sort of mystery. We went to the library and people were choosing the bermuda triangle, loch ness, etc etc. I chose the Oak Island Mystery. After I gave my report, even my teacher was like that is like a legitimate mystery. I was disheartened to learn that nothing was basically happening with it as i went inot JR high and then into HS. i learned that it was sold to some drillers in michigan in the late 90's yet there was still nothing except the info that i already had access to in a few books. It faded from memory into college. Every once in a while it would come up but i was disinterested at that point.

Then along game the lagina brothers and the show The Curse of Oak Island. I've watched every episode religiously for 8 seasons. My belief in this mystery began to wain about 3 seasons ago but the 6th grader in me will not let me quit the show. Every artifact found has pointed to an in habitation on the island but in-habitation does not = treasure.

I will admit i'm starting to hate watch the show. I hate the narration, i have them metal detecting for ax heads, and i hate every time the knights templar is brought up.

not much of a ringing endorsement i guess.
travelspot

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?],wi

Post by travelspot »

“Money Heist” on Netflix is excellent. It is a Spanish caper series set in Madrid. Not your typical cops & robbers show; it is smartly written, not formula, and well acted with a lot of backstory and character development. And plenty of twists.

Be sure to watch with the original Spanish language and use English subtitles. Voiceovers from other actors in other languages ruins even the best of shows.

I saw a lot of references to “Queen’s Gambit” above, that is very good as well.
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

"Made in Italy"

This is a recent Italian language (English subtitles) series. It takes place in 1974 in Milan, and follows Irene, a 23 year old University student and aspiring journalist, who get a job at Appeal, a Milan fashion magazine. There is a blend of issues with parents, boyfriend, a mix of workmates, and interesting visits to some of the real life Italian fashion designers who were coming to the forefront in the 70s. It's primarily a comedy with a little drama. I'm really enjoying it, though surprised I'm liking a show focused on fashion.

I found it on Apple TV, though I think it's also available via Amazon. The first episode is free, but after that you need to subscribe to Topic (which can be done easily and is billed to your Apple or Amazon account).

Not to be confused with the 2020 movie of the same name with Liam Neeson.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

We watched a bit of Tehran on Apple TV. It was favorably mentioned on this thread, and I must be missing something. Mossad agents are legendarily tough and smart; the female agent in Tehran is neither. I don’t like shows where you spend so much time saying “Really? That’s what you think you should do?” Can someone give me reasons to try again?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Eowyn

Post by Eowyn »

bertilak wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:00 pm
The show's writer is Anthony Horowitz. Keep an eye out for him. Anything he does is worth watching. For example he wrote season one of Midsomer Murders -- kinda set the tone -- and did a lot of Agatha Christie's Poirot episodes (my guess is the best ones).
I've finished 3 of 4 episodes of Season 2 of Foyle's War and am still really enjoying it, so I'll be getting (DVD from the library) Season 3 soon.

Thank you for the info on Anthony Horowitz. I see that he writes books too, so I've added one (Magpie Murders) to my reading list.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:51 pm We watched a bit of Tehran on Apple TV. It was favorably mentioned on this thread, and I must be missing something. Mossad agents are legendarily tough and smart; the female agent in Tehran is neither. I don’t like shows where you spend so much time saying “Really? That’s what you think you should do?” Can someone give me reasons to try again?
I think you are confusing a stereotypical and idealized version of a superman/superwoman agent and a more realistic version of an agent that actually has feelings and is an imperfect human. I don't think this female agent is the best-portrayed version of that imperfect human-- a much better portrayal is the protagonist in Fauda.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Cruise wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:34 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:51 pm We watched a bit of Tehran on Apple TV. It was favorably mentioned on this thread, and I must be missing something. Mossad agents are legendarily tough and smart; the female agent in Tehran is neither. I don’t like shows where you spend so much time saying “Really? That’s what you think you should do?” Can someone give me reasons to try again?
I think you are confusing a stereotypical and idealized version of a superman/superwoman agent and a more realistic version of an agent that actually has feelings and is an imperfect human. I don't think this female agent is the best-portrayed version of that imperfect human-- a much better portrayal is the protagonist in Fauda.
I humbly suggest that you are making assumptions; I hate Superman/superwoman portrayals. I think any of the characters in The Bureau are superior portrayals. I haven’t watched Fauda.

As an example, would any agent with any training really have gone to the student protest to be seen by the conservative daughter of her aunt and risk the entire mission? That’s when I stopped watching.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:57 pm
Cruise wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:34 pm
I humbly suggest that you are making assumptions; I hate Superman/superwoman portrayals. I think any of the characters in The Bureau are superior portrayals. I haven’t watched Fauda.

As an example, would any agent with any training really have gone to the student protest to be seen by the conservative daughter of her aunt and risk the entire mission? That’s when I stopped watching.
@TomatoTomahto

We are in season 4 of "The Bureau" based on your recommendation, and like "Spiral", I'll be sad when it's over.

"Fauda" is worth watching. I look forward to its return for another season. I think you'll like it as well.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Yes, I’m sad it’s over. I’ll add Fauda and Spiral to our list.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:29 pm Yes, I’m sad it’s over. I’ll add Fauda and Spiral to our list.
:sharebeer

"Spiral" is another Canal Plus production, currently available on Sundance (on demand) and AMC Plus.

The French have upped the game, imho.

And the Israelis do a good job with Fauda (Netflix).
mceagle555

Post by mceagle555 »

I highly recommend "For All Mankind" on AppleTV+ if you're a fan of aviation or grew up during the space race.

It portrays an alternate history where the Russians land on the moon before the US does and the trickle down effect after that. (10 episodes)

Excellent writing. Season 2 actually launches tomorrow.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

mceagle555 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:02 pm I highly recommend "For All Mankind" on AppleTV+ if you're a fan of aviation or grew up during the space race.

It portrays an alternate history where the Russians land on the moon before the US does and the trickle down effect after that. (10 episodes)

Excellent writing. Season 2 actually launches tomorrow.
+1. Entertaining, but I whether what today's youth will grow up thinking that the Russians sent the first crew to the moon.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

TV show: Above and Beyond.
Miniseries about the beginning of ferrying aircraft to England during WWII.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Above_and ... iniseries)
See review: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478834/reviews

Enjoyed it. Nice scenery.

Shown OTA in Denver on channel 23.4. Strange channel, can't find any accurate listing of content (existing listings all seem to be wrong). Just stumbled across showings while channel surfing.

YouTube free movie link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM5JoNS ... anutVerges

TV show: Darkest Hour. Same channel. Also stumbled upon a show about Winston Churchill in WWII, about his uncertainty and doubt, before he learned to "...mobilize the English language and send it into battle."

See review: https://blogs.letemps.ch/garry-littman/ ... to-battle/

From uncertainty and doubt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo4U1Sq ... Movieclips
To mobilized language: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skrdyoa ... Movieclips

YouTube (not free) movie link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCoGxrUg9FM

Edit. Found after following Bylo Selhi's lead. Never knew this.
Last edited by dratkinson on Thu May 06, 2021 6:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

dratkinson wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:40 am Above and Beyond. Miniseries about the beginning of ferrying aircraft to England during WWII.
A 30 second news clip about how some of those planes entered Canada before the US entered the war. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL41oesVh9o
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

minimalistmarc wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:44 am
stoptothink wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:36 am
chipperd wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:46 am
chipperd wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:07 am
minimalistmarc wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:04 am

Such an amazing life story. Loved this. Free Solo is also excellent.
I have yet to see that one; been recommended by others as well. I'll check it out. Thanks
Wow, watched "Free Solo" twice now and I am just amazed. Interesting about Alex's brain functioning and the role that (almost has to) play in his decision making.
He is absolutely on the autism spectrum. My wife said watching his interaction with his GF was like watching her life on a screen (I have Asperger's). Mountain climbing documentaries may be my single most favorite genre of entertainment, and "Free Solo" is definitely among the best.
I agree he is on the autism spectrum but I don’t think that explains his inability to feel fear. At the beginning he has a some kind of functional MRI scan which shows almost no reaction to fearful stimuli.
Catching up on this thread. My son is a pretty serious competitive climber (he's 14), and this kind of introverted, socially awkward, very bright, personality type is extremely common among climbers for some reason. My son's coach asked the kids what other teams and activities they did and the answers were all "math team" "engineering club" kind of things. From an extremely athletic high-level climbing team. My personal opinion is that Alex may be on the spectrum (no idea, not a doc) but his mother certainly messed him up too.

On to TV. Watching CB Strike on HBO Max, it's excellent. Just finished the Dublin Murders on Starz and it's not nearly as good as the Tana French books it's based off of. The Sinner on Netflix this season is also not nearly as good as seasons past.
Last edited by Isabelle77 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

sid hartha wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:58 am Started watching "The Night Manager" on Amazon Prime.

3 Episodes in and I think it's very good. Story, acting and direction are all top notch.

Summary:

The Night Manager is a British television serial directed by Susanne Bier and starring Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie, Olivia Colman, David Harewood, Tom Hollander, and Elizabeth Debicki. It is based on the 1993 novel of the same name by John le Carré and adapted to the present day by David Farr. The six-part series began broadcasting on BBC One on 21 February 2016. In the United States, it began on 19 April 2016 on AMC.

The first series of The Night Manager was nominated for 36 awards and won 11, including two Emmy Awards for director Susanne Bier and music composer Victor Reyes and three Golden Globes for Best Performance to Tom Hiddleston, Best Performance for an Actress in a Supporting Role to Olivia Colman, and Best Performance for a Supporting Actor for Hugh Laurie.
Love The Night Manager. So beautifully shot. I wish they would of done a follow up!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Isabelle77 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:32 pm
minimalistmarc wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:44 am
stoptothink wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:36 am
chipperd wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:46 am
chipperd wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:07 am

I have yet to see that one; been recommended by others as well. I'll check it out. Thanks
Wow, watched "Free Solo" twice now and I am just amazed. Interesting about Alex's brain functioning and the role that (almost has to) play in his decision making.
He is absolutely on the autism spectrum. My wife said watching his interaction with his GF was like watching her life on a screen (I have Asperger's). Mountain climbing documentaries may be my single most favorite genre of entertainment, and "Free Solo" is definitely among the best.
I agree he is on the autism spectrum but I don’t think that explains his inability to feel fear. At the beginning he has a some kind of functional MRI scan which shows almost no reaction to fearful stimuli.
Catching up on this thread. My son is a pretty serious competitive climber (he's 14), and this kind of introverted, socially awkward, very bright, personality type is extremely common among climbers for some reason. My son's coach asked the kids what other teams and activities they did and the answers were all "math team" "engineering club" kind of things. From an extremely athletic high-level climbing team. My personal opinion is that Alex may be on the spectrum (no idea, not a doc) but his mother certainly messed him up too.

On to TV. Watching CB Strike on HBO Max, it's excellent. Just finished the Dublin Murders on Starz and it's not nearly as good as the Tana French books it's based off of. The Sinner on Netflix this season is also not nearly as good as seasons past.
In my not expert opinion (except I'm on the spectrum, a PhD scientist, and a very very very mediocre novice climber), it's because climbing is kind of like a puzzle. My friends who are very good refer to specific lines as "problems"; a large part of it is piecing together a series of tiny perfect movements to ascend something that looks impossible from below.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

The Salisbury Poisonings at AMC:

https://www.amc.com/shows/the-salisbury ... ngs--47636

What a incredibly frightening situation, of which I have only a vague recollection of news reports at the time. The city health and safety manager played by Anne Marie Duff is a incredible and dedicated public servant.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Muppet Show on Disney+

All five seasons, 1976-1981, 120 episodes began streaming today. Fondly remembered, though I saw them on a small low-res screen back then. First episode: Rita Moreno.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Bordertown - Season 3.

Finnish nordic noir. We really loved this show. The lead role - Sorjonen - was just such an engrossing character, a brilliant detective with some issues such as Asperger's. The lead actor played this role so well. Ostensibly - season 3 was going to be it for this series - but we found that they are doing a movie - due for Netflix later 2021 possibly.

Mystery Road - Season 1

Australian mystery/cop series. Fabulous cinematography - showing the Australian Outback in all it's glory. Started out a little shaky, but gained steam as we get to know the characters. Interesting thing - the first season was shot around Wyndham, in the NW of Australia. Looking up the climate data for Wyndham, the average high temp in the "summer" there is over 100 degrees (F) for 3 months. Even in the winter the average high is in the upper 80's - year around is something like 96 degrees (F). Yikes. And I don't think we are talking a dry heat such as Arizona.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:46 am Bordertown - Season 3.

Finnish nordic noir. We really loved this show. The lead role - Sorjonen - was just such an engrossing character, a brilliant detective with some issues such as Asperger's. The lead actor played this role so well. Ostensibly - season 3 was going to be it for this series - but we found that they are doing a movie - due for Netflix later 2021 possibly.

Mystery Road - Season 1

Australian mystery/cop series. Fabulous cinematography - showing the Australian Outback in all it's glory. Started out a little shaky, but gained steam as we get to know the characters. Interesting thing - the first season was shot around Wyndham, in the NW of Australia. Looking up the climate data for Wyndham, the average high temp in the "summer" there is over 100 degrees (F) for 3 months. Even in the winter the average high is in the upper 80's - year around is something like 96 degrees (F). Yikes. And I don't think we are talking a dry heat such as Arizona.
+ 1 on Mystery Road, I enjoyed both seasons.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Have watched the first two episodes of Clarice on CBS. It's a followup based on the character in the early '90s movie Silence of the Lambs with Jodie Foster, Clarice Starling.

Here's where she is a year after that one ends. Rebecca Breeds has the Jodie Foster rile, FBI agent, not a team player.

It's watchable so far but not a strong recommend.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Watched season 3 of " the sinner". A USA show on Netflix. About a grizzled near retirement detective who gets too deep and invested in his cases. Usually pretty dark. Season 3 was kind of bizarre, and more implausible than usual, but I still overall liked it.
pseudoiterative

Post by pseudoiterative »

Glad to see some mentions of "The Bureau" and "Spiral". Highly watchable french espionage & police drama respectively.

I'm currently enjoying working my way through all three seasons of the original Danish version of "The Killing" (released ~10 years ago?). Police procedural. The plot line of each season revolves around a murder that becomes politicised. The first season is particularly absurd as it runs for 20 episodes, so there's about 10 layers of plot twists by the time the finale arrives. Seasons 2 and 3 are more restrained with 8 episodes each. The plotlines of the latter seasons set amidst the backdrop of the war on terror & the aftermath of the GFC.

Another recommendation: the Danish police drama The Investigation. The plot is based on a real life murder. Unlike a lot of police drama it doesn't focus on the suspect or glorify the violence. The episodes focus on the investigators trying to piece together enough evidence to prove that a murder has happened beyond all reasonable doubt, to secure a conviction, and refute the suspect's continually changing versions of events.

The german tv series "Das Boot" is also worth checking out. WW2 drama, well made. Some of the episodes are fairly unpleasant, especially the ones set in nazi occupied france. I watched it last year during the coronavirus lockdown where it wasn't possible to go outside much. After watching an episode about the life of ww2 submariners I felt very thankful for merely being stuck in an apartment (no depth charges, no mutinies, no hazing, no inhaling chlorine, ...)
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Finished S2 of False Flag on Hulu. Israeli espionage series, in Hebrew with subtitles. Lots of murky characters with different motivations. Thought S1 was pretty good, and found S2 to be even better. Subtitles a litter lower quality than other similar series... sometimes rushed, sometimes late, but still acceptable.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We are working our way through "A Touch of Frost", a long-running detective/police procedural series from the UK.
And by "working our way through", I do NOT mean anything derogatory. Indeed, it's a positive, given that when our favorite series are over, we always wish there were more seasons remaining.
(That's especially true nowadays, while we are at home during the pandemic, as we are very grateful for any enjoyable distractions.)

Sir David Jason plays a slightly quirky inspector. Frost has a gait that is slightly reminiscent of Poirot's.
Actually, there are a few more similarities besides gait, but Frost is far less "refined" than Poirot (to put it mildly).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JBTX wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:49 am Watched season 3 of " the sinner". A USA show on Netflix. About a grizzled near retirement detective who gets too deep and invested in his cases. Usually pretty dark. Season 3 was kind of bizarre, and more implausible than usual, but I still overall liked it.
Completely agree. Some of the situations were not believable and it wasn't as good as the first two seasons, but still pretty good.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:20 am Sir David Jason plays a slightly quirky inspector.
John Nettles (Midsomer Murders' Tom Barnaby) said part of his decision to leave Midsomer (with cousin John Barnaby replacing Tom Barnaby) was that he realized he would be the oldest TV detective still standing when David Jason (Frost) hung up his badge.

From Hello! Newsletter:
Speaking about his decision to leave, he added: "I suddenly realised that I'm going to be the oldest detective in the business now that David Jason has thrown off the mantle.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:50 am
ResearchMed wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:20 am Sir David Jason plays a slightly quirky inspector.
John Nettles (Midsomer Murders' Tom Barnaby) said part of his decision to leave Midsomer (with cousin John Barnaby replacing Tom Barnaby) was that he realized he would be the oldest TV detective still standing when David Jason (Frost) hung up his badge.

From Hello! Newsletter:
Speaking about his decision to leave, he added: "I suddenly realised that I'm going to be the oldest detective in the business now that David Jason has thrown off the mantle.
Another cute fact... that Police Archivist in Frost (the man who is always manually looking through his files to see if there are any similar cases, etc.) happens to be Jason's real-life brother. (Surname of archivist actor is "White", which was Jason's surname prior to his changing it to "Jason".)

RM
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:56 am
Another cute fact... that Police Archivist in Frost (the man who is always manually looking through his files to see if there are any similar cases, etc.) happens to be Jason's real-life brother. (Surname of archivist actor is "White", which was Jason's surname prior to his changing it to "Jason".)
Interesting! I looked him (Arthur White) up on IMDB and he has 130 acting credits going back to 1950. No pictures, though. Here's one from a different source:
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:24 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:56 am
Interesting! I looked him (Arthur White) up on IMDB and he has 130 acting credits going back to 1950. No pictures, though. Here's one from a different source:
Here is a longer story that includes photos of the two of them together:

]https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1 ... -of-frost/#

RM
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Just finished The Stand on CBS All Access. It was ok but the character building was really wonky. If you decide to watch, just skip the last episode, its a complete waste of your time. Watchable but likely wouldnt recommend it unless you like King novels (and if you're a huge fan, definitely dont watch, its not the book :happy)
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

On season 2 of “Designated Survivor”.

Love it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designate ... TV_series)

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

abuss368 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 pm On season 2 of “Designated Survivor”.

Love it.

Tony
I loved the first two seasons of Designated Survivor, then season three Netflix took it over, and stopped watching it. Netflix ruined it. I just pretend that anything after season two doesn't exist.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:13 am

Love it.

Tony
I loved the first two seasons of Designated Survivor, then season three Netflix took it over, and stopped watching it. Netflix ruined it. I just pretend that anything after season two doesn't exist.
Can you elaborate? What did Netflix do to ruin it? IMDB lists Netflix as the distributor, not the producer, unless I am misunderstanding something.
runninginvestor

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?],wi

Post by runninginvestor »

travelspot wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:10 pm “Money Heist” on Netflix is excellent. It is a Spanish caper series set in Madrid. Not your typical cops & robbers show; it is smartly written, not formula, and well acted with a lot of backstory and character development. And plenty of twists.

Be sure to watch with the original Spanish language and use English subtitles. Voiceovers from other actors in other languages ruins even the best of shows.

I saw a lot of references to “Queen’s Gambit” above, that is very good as well.
Highly agree with the show and language selection. The dubbed version in English does not do a good job portraying the emotions of the characters and situations. I watched in Spanish, then tried getting my spouse to watch but started off dubbed in English and I was shocked at the difference. Switched back to Spanish with subtitles.
Bjtsven

Post by Bjtsven »

Not a TV Show but Love Groucho Marx
- You Tube - You Bet Your Life!
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I watch The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show every morning. Remarkable humor.
Finding Your Roots on PBS is a favorite
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We're watching "Kingdom" on Netflix. Not the critically-acclaimed Korean zombie show, but the one about the family-owned MMA gym that has a Jonas brother in the cast. A little cheesy, but entertaining. My wife's world is dominated by combat sports right now (trains twice a day 5 days a week since she finished school, as do both our kids), so it's right up her alley.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Just finished season 5 of "The Bureau" and am sad it's over...but it is supposed to return later this yea with season 6.

Finishing up season 3 of "Gomorrah", (two episodes to go), and it has been a disappointment after waiting so long for it to finally be available.

The acting and story line are sub par.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Blues wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:27 am Just finished season 5 of "The Bureau" and am sad it's over...but it is supposed to return later this yea with season 6.
Based on the fact that we like similar things, I’ve been watching Fauda. I like a lot of the characters, and am engaged, but the “hero” is someone I don’t care for very much as a person, and his 2 speed acting (depressed/pensive or angry/misbehaving) doesn’t help. I have a feeling that the superiors who wanted him out of the organization would have prevailed.

Also, and this is unfair to the show, but I feel that I “get” more French on French shows than Hebrew on Israeli shows. That said, if there’s Yiddish, I almost don’t bother with the subtitles.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:43 am
Blues wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:27 am Just finished season 5 of "The Bureau" and am sad it's over...but it is supposed to return later this yea with season 6.
Based on the fact that we like similar things, I’ve been watching Fauda. I like a lot of the characters, and am engaged, but the “hero” is someone I don’t care for very much as a person, and his 2 speed acting (depressed/pensive or angry/misbehaving) doesn’t help. I have a feeling that the superiors who wanted him out of the organization would have prevailed.

Also, and this is unfair to the show, but I feel that I “get” more French on French shows than Hebrew on Israeli shows. That said, if there’s Yiddish, I almost don’t bother with the subtitles.
I think the human side, failings and weaknesses are part of what makes the show more engaging. (I believe the primary actor has an actual background in the business portrayed.) It's not perfect by any means, and I agree there are times that it is a bit over the top, but on the whole, I think it is one of the better portrayals of both sides of the conflicts.

Stick with it and let me know how you make out with it, either here or directly as we've done previously. I think you'll agree it's worth the investment.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Blues wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:06 am Stick with it and let me know how you make out with it, either here or directly as we've done previously. I think you'll agree it's worth the investment.
Oh heck, I’m a few seasons in already and I keep watching. I’d give it a 9 out of 10, which is more than I give most shows. Last night’s episodes just bothered me and I’m cranky :D Definitely worth the invested time.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 am
Blues wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:06 am Stick with it and let me know how you make out with it, either here or directly as we've done previously. I think you'll agree it's worth the investment.
Oh heck, I’m a few seasons in already and I keep watching. I’d give it a 9 out of 10, which is more than I give most shows. Last night’s episodes just bothered me and I’m cranky :D Definitely worth the invested time.
Good to hear, mon ami.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Love it.

Tony
I did read about that. I like the show and was surprised it did not last longer.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Love it.

Tony
We never got that far.

The "Designated Survivor's" affect ranged from... "down" to "distressed" to "down more" to "pained" to "down less"...
It became unpleasant (yes, distressing, painful...) just to watch him.

And some of the plot was just unbelievable.
It was a real disappointment, after seeing what the plot was to be.

And DH, especially, had enjoyed him in other shows , where he was still intense/etc., but not such a ... downer all the time.

RM
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Bjtsven wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:46 am Not a TV Show but Love Groucho Marx
- You Tube - You Bet Your Life!
Mr. Rumples wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 am I watch The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show every morning. Remarkable humor.
Finding Your Roots on PBS is a favorite
So many good shows from years ago. Last winter we watched the Red Skelton Show at our condo.

All of them were masters of timing and the clever phrase.

I've mentioned many new shows that have disappointed me. We always have several episodes of Law & Order, and Two and a Half Men queued up on our DVR. Seen them all! Many times. We know the dialog by heart. But at least we laugh and smile at them.

I can see Groucho in my mind's eye, and George & Gracie too.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

heartwood wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:26 pm I can see Groucho in my mind's eye
And I can also see George Fenneman. He was like Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski's rug; he really tied the show together!
Last edited by bertilak on Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I have been binge-watching Hannibal.Excellent program. Serial killer shows fascinate me. Not sure what that says about me.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:24 am I have been binge-watching Hannibal.Excellent program. Serial killer shows fascinate me. Not sure what that says about me.

Broken Man 1999
You may be happy to hear that Season 9 of Dexter is scheduled to air this fall. I'll certainly watch it.