[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ResearchMed

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ResearchMed »

Watching, live, the Metropolitan Opera competition finalists.

Now waiting for the judges' decision.

They are very good. (the singers; not sure about the judges yet :wink: )
One of them, from Seoul, had his internet connection just drop mid-way through his first piece. Ouch.
Fortunately, his second piece was outstanding.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

JBTX wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:12 am
stoptothink wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:32 pm
Blues wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:22 pm
HENRYGRUGER wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:52 pm
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 am We have recorded but not yet watched the new Winslet HBO police drama. I was hoping that it might be a refreshing change.

"City on a Hill" season 2 was so bad that even the hilarity that is Kevin Bacon couldn't save it for us. It went beyond woke, to it made me choke.

It seems in recent years the best crime / police dramas are from Europe or even Australia / NZ. It's a shame because it's a genre I enjoy...and am quite picky about.
Over the past few weekends, my wife and I watched all six seasons of Downton Abby. She had never seen it, and I watched it back in 2014/2015. when we were living in different states, for jobs reasons. We have enjoyed it, tremendously!

Another series was Breaking Bad. A strange concept but after watching a few episodes, I was hooked.

Other good series...Hanna...Quantico...anything with Jason Stratham!

If you have HULU...The Hand Maidens Tale.

Another strange concept, but enjoyable series was The Man in The High Castle...and another, Badlands.

And one of my favorites from the History Channel, Vikings!

If you have never seen Sons Of Anarchy, it is a must watch...along with the spin off, Mayans.

Another must see is Ozarks.

Happy Viewing.
Have seen many on your list. Some thumbs up...some thumbs down. Some seen through to the end...some nipped in the bud.
Same. Breaking Bad may be the best show of all-time, Vikings and Ozark are fantastic, but IMO Sons of Anarchy may be the worst TV series I've ever soldiered through more than a single episode of. Kurt Sutter has a history of developing series that have an interesting premise, but are just destroyed with terrible writing. The Bastard Executioner and Mayans share the same cheesy, unbelievable dialogue and nonsensical storylines.
I seem to be in the minority here but I mostly enjoyed sons of Anarchy. You just can't take it too seriously. Mayans is not as good, but OK.

Just watched the first 3 episodes of hand maidens tale season 4. I keep thinking the show will falter, but it continues as one of the most dark and emotionally intense dramas I've ever seen.

While I enjoyed breaking bad, I haven't had a great desire to watch it again. I can't exactly say why. I may have enjoyed watching Madmen, Lost and the Wire more the second time through, and I could easily watch them again.

Vikings started off strong, but after several seasons I lost interest, but I finally went back and the last season was more interesting.

Loved the first 3 or so seasons of SOA. It was not as good after that, but I still enjoyed it.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

heartwood wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:41 pm
SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:08 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:03 am
ResearchMed wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:59 am
SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 am Two new excellent cop dramas with foreign female leads here: I just finished a Swedish one called Huss, set in Gothenburg (not sure if available in USA), and have started HBO's Mare of Easttown, starring Kate Winslet as a haggard, Rolling Rock-drinking detective in gloomy SE Pennsylvania.
We couldn't make it through the first episode.
It definitely had potential, but we were very disappointed in, among other things, the acting, including by Winslet.
:annoyed
RM
I was looking forward to it but the NYT reviewer scorched it.
It's not the cheery Kate we know and love (mind you, she got an Oscar for playing a Nazi). Things get better in episode 2. It has 91% on Rotten Tomatoes.
We watched the first several episodes of Mare of Easttown on HBO last night despite the NYT review and comments here. BTW, Dorothy Rabinowitz at the WSJ gave it and Ms. Winslet a decent review.

The first episode was a bit of a struggle, the 2nd better. We'll watch the rest. My quibble is there are too many characters and too many side scenes that don't relate to the main stories. That said, its watchable and better than so, so many series that get raves from the critics that we bail on after a half hour or less. I recommend it.

Mare definitely picks up after the first episode.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Just finished "The Serpent" on Netflix. Pretty good on a number of levels...but the lead character is a real creep and it "time bounced" the story line a bit more than necessary we felt.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

[Merged with TV show discussion - mod oldcomputerguy]

A very successful British tv series Midsomer murders. It's not violent. Each episode has so much twist and turns. We seldom could guess who's the murderer. The English village settings are beautiful. It made me want to airbnb for months in a English village 😇
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

livelovelaugh00 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:40 pm [Merged with TV show discussion - mod oldcomputerguy]

A very successful British tv series Midsomer murders. It's not violent. Each episode has so much twist and turns. We seldom could guess who's the murderer. The English village settings are beautiful. It made me want to airbnb for months in a English village 😇
And there are over 20 seasons to enjoy. I kinda wish I was just discovering it.

Keep your eye out for familiar faces. If you watch a lot of British TV you will see many. It is interesting to see some from years gone by.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Kind of late to the party here, but, I recently binge-watched all six seasons of "Bosch".

Now am starting the fourth season of "The Crown". One of the more memorable episodes in the series (for me) was when Prince Philip was late-night, black-and-white television bingeing on the American moon landing and thinking he had finally found the meaning of life.
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

"Line of Duty," free through Amazon prime. British mystery series--good but dark.
It's funny, my sister got some kind of high-def flat tv. I still use a 20-year-old CRT. The picture quality of her tv freaked me out for a while--it was like being in the uncanny valley, watching little people who were way too realistic run around on screen. I felt like they were going to hop off and run around the room.
I guess I've gotten used to it, though--Line of Duty looks fine.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

The Americans (FX series).

Very good!
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Don't know it it's been suggest already, but "The Bureau" or " Le Bureau des Renseignements" is a French spy thriller that ran for five years. Quite good, just a notch below "Breaking Bad" in my opinion. It was big phenomenon in France.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

cbeck wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:03 pm Don't know it it's been suggest already, but "The Bureau" or " Le Bureau des Renseignements" is a French spy thriller that ran for five years. Quite good, just a notch below "Breaking Bad" in my opinion. It was big phenomenon in France.
@Blues and I and others rate it tops.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Watching "The Path" on Hulu. Stars Aaron Paul (Jesse from Breaking Bad) and is about a cult. I'm almost through 2 out of the 3 seasons. I'm actually finding it to be pretty good and thoughtful and entertaining.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:13 pm
cbeck wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:03 pm Don't know it it's been suggest already, but "The Bureau" or " Le Bureau des Renseignements" is a French spy thriller that ran for five years. Quite good, just a notch below "Breaking Bad" in my opinion. It was big phenomenon in France.
@Blues and I and others rate it tops.
Right he is. The Bureau is quite good.

Have any of you guys watched "Life on Mars" on BritBox? (Not sure if it's available elsewhere.)

Entertaining "police drama" that takes place back in time, (1973), in the mind of a Detective Inspector who gets hit by a car and is in a coma. We just finished season 1 and it's quite enjoyable as a change of pace and for its creativity.

Each episode is its own story but also part of the larger puzzle.

Recommended.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 am Two new excellent cop dramas with foreign female leads here: I just finished a Swedish one called Huss, set in Gothenburg (not sure if available in USA), and have started HBO's Mare of Easttown, starring Kate Winslet as a haggard, Rolling Rock-drinking detective in gloomy SE Pennsylvania.
I'm enjoying "Mare" very much.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We just watched a repeat of Simone Biles breathtaking gymnastics performance from yesterday (I think).

As Team USA stated it on their Twitter link:

"Our jaws are on the floor. Simone Biles is still in the air."

She is the first woman to land this particular (and truly astonishing) vault.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/23/us/simon ... index.html

She makes it all look so easy. :happy

RM
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Humans, on Amazon Prime. A sci-fi drama series where the distinction between robots and humans becomes blurred. It takes a few episodes to understand what's going on. There's a lot of drama and you really need to think about ethics from multiple perspectives. I'm hooked.

For completeness, I finished all six seasons of Schitt's Creek and recommend it. Unlike some other series (Dexter comes to mind), the last season was the logical conclusion and was just as good a quality as the previous seasons.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:09 pm Humans, on Amazon Prime. A sci-fi drama series where the distinction between robots and humans becomes blurred. It takes a few episodes to understand what's going on. There's a lot of drama and you really need to think about ethics from multiple perspectives. I'm hooked.

For completeness, I finished all six seasons of Schitt's Creek and recommend it. Unlike some other series (Dexter comes to mind), the last season was the logical conclusion and was just as good a quality as the previous seasons.
+1 for Schitt's Creek. :beer
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Some rather odd but fascinating (to me) Youtube channels. Search there by name. They are all wholesome with occasional PG content, and almost always food-related. Nicely produced, they get down to business without a lot of chaff.

Featureman - Life experiences of a Hollywood Extra and one-time TV series co-star.

Experiencing Matthew Carlson - Eating sardines from a can. Plus some other stuff.

TheWolfePit - Eating and reviewing darn near everything.

Epicurious - "Price Points" - Expert in X guesses cheap vs expensive X. I really like that no brand names are ever revealed. Much more informative than a sales pitch, though the expert is always an artisan producer of X, so in some sense it's still advertising.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Finished "the path", 3 seasons a drama about a fictional cult. Started off good, but season 3 kind of went off the rails (as often seems to happen with a lot of OK but not great series)

Watched the first episode of Solos on Amazon. Terrible. Couldn't stand it. Didn't make it to the end. Seems like an overt effort to show off greatly exaggerated acting. Maybe other episodes are better.
LadyGeek wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:09 pm
Humans, on Amazon Prime. A sci-fi drama series where the distinction between robots and humans becomes blurred. It takes a few episodes to understand what's going on. There's a lot of drama and you really need to think about ethics from multiple perspectives. I'm hooked.
Glad you like it so far. This one really took me by surprise. I had never heard of it but it really sucked me in.
P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary »

Since the Amazon Prime thread was locked and directed here: Justified. 6 seasons. One of my favorite series.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Wrapping up BlackSpace on Netflix. Another Israeli police series with twists and turns, a brooding flawed lead character who see’s things differently than his bosses and has a troubled home life. Hebrew with decent quality subtitles and a reasonable storyline involving a school shooting. Many cautions about the violent content but I didn’t think it was over the top and is directly involved in the storyline. I liked it.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I've been watching the old (1982) Agatha Christie hour -- 10 epoisodes of various Christie short stories.

It is interesting to see how Christie experimented with various things that eventually made it into Poriot and, I think, Marple. Example: MIss Lemon shows up! She has the same name and personality of Poirot's Miss Lemon -- attention to detail and excelent filing skills. She appears in two episodes so Christie probably really liked the character.

Also some intersting actors. Example: a very young John Nettles (DCI Tom Barnaby of Midsomer murders) and others you might recognize or have fun looking up. Many of the actors and actresses show up in later, well known, shows (as older characters). Sad stories about some of the actors.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Yesterday evening: Mozart's Don Giovanni

on the Metropolitan Opera streaming service:

https://www.metopera.org/user-informati ... a-streams/

They have one Opera each evening, available at no charge. The titles rotate.
(We have a subscription.)

The on-demand performance we watched last night starred Renee Fleming, with Bryn Terfel in the title role. Subtitles are well done, not too intrusive (and not too repetitive when the lines being sung are repeated).

Terfel's performance was astonishing. Not only is his voice remarkable, but so is his *acting*.
I really don't know how they do it.
Fleming was also great, but Terfel... What a delight, especially his facial expressions in this performance.

And of course, the music by Mozart... what needs to be said? :happy

Yes, we enjoyed it, a lot!

RM
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

CourtTV has some interesting offerings. Last night on their "Corrupt Crimes" series, they had an episode on the 1978 Jonestown Massacre in Guyana, South America. Leader Jim Jones started out with good intentions until he became a self-proclaimed Messiah. End result: over 900 people died by suicide by drinking a grape drink laced with cyanide. Chilling still photography and video scenes.
Last edited by roamingzebra on Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Seahunt
On Youtube

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

Mr Palfrey of Westminster.

On BritBox, 10 episodes from 1984-85. Counter-espionage, very much of the period. Influenced by John le Carre and Len Deighton, but people are politer. Very well done.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I just finished binge watching Game of Thrones.

Now I am working my way through The Sopranos. Hard to believe the first episode was 20+ years ago.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1955-65) on Roku. The premiere episode is chilling,
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

We are watching the fifth season of Kim's Convenience on Netflix. This is a nice comedy about a Korean family operating a convenience store in Toronto. Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Okay. Broke down and watched Mare of Easttown. . Liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Good acting sometimes overcomes okay writing.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:21 am Okay. Broke down and watched Mare of Easttown. . Liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Good acting sometimes overcomes okay writing.
:sharebeer
leo383

Post by leo383 »

Have been watching What We Do In the Shadows on Hulu. A goofy mockumentary involving vampires in Staten Island.

It's mindless and funny.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Just finished startup on Netflix. Thought it would be kind of cheezy but it was actually very good. All 3 seasons. Enjoyed the Miami backdrop. Pretty much kept you guessing all the way through. Very bingeable.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I've been watching Elementary. Missed it when it originally aired.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

After snoozing through the first episode of Mare of Easttown, returned to the True Detective triology on HBO Max, finishing up Season 3. We thought Seasons 1 and 3 were superb, and Season 2 just OK. What an inspired group of award-winning actors: Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Collin Farrell, and Mahershala Ali!
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Cruise wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:33 pm After snoozing through the first episode of Mare of Easttown, returned to the True Detective triology on HBO Max, finishing up Season 3. We thought Seasons 1 and 3 were superb, and Season 2 just OK. What an inspired group of award-winning actors: Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Collin Farrell, and Mahershala Ali!
I found the first episode of Mare of Easttown terribly boring, but DW & I stuck it out. Subsequent episodes moved much more quickly. I found the series worthwhile but not outstanding. I liked the first season of True Detective, hated the second, and passed on the third.

We just finished the latest Kim's Convenience and are currently enjoying the latest season of The Kominsky Method.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Sweet Tooth is great.

Also enjoyed the Kominsky Method starring Michael Douglas, Alan Arkin, Kathleen Turner, Paul Reiser, and a host of cameos. A lot of hilarious dialogue on aging.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:05 pm
Cruise wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:33 pm After snoozing through the first episode of Mare of Easttown, returned to the True Detective triology on HBO Max, finishing up Season 3. We thought Seasons 1 and 3 were superb, and Season 2 just OK. What an inspired group of award-winning actors: Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Collin Farrell, and Mahershala Ali!
I liked the first season of True Detective, hated the second, and passed on the third.
Recommend you try the first episode of Season 3 and see if it grabs you.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Cruise wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:25 pm
I liked the first season of True Detective, hated the second, and passed on the third.
I'll add it to my list. Thanks!
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

I could not get past the first couple episodes of Season 1 (too gruesome) and read that Season 2 was not worth the time.

I second the recommendation for Season 3. I thought it was well done. And, another vote for Mahershala Ali!
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

The new season of Hell's Kitchen that started last week on Fox. I often don't know why some of the contestants think they can win, and those ones never do. For entertainment purposes, I guess.

Also, the old series The Rifleman restarted last week on MeTV from season 1, episode 1. I had already been watching seasons 4 and 5, so it's nice to see how it started.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:50 pm
Not quite as good as season 1, but season 3 is still fantastic.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

My mother and I are watching "The Crown" on Netflix. It is fun to watch it with her because she remembers events from the show, such as Queen Elizabeth's royal wedding, her coronation, etc. It's fun to hear her memories of these events as they occur on the show.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
telemark

Post by telemark »

I just finished season 2 of Lupin on Netflix, which brings things to a satisfying finale. They are promising a third season and I look forward to that, but the first two seasons make a complete story in themselves.

Now I need to go read some of the stories.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

I just discovered "Brockmire" with Hank Azaria and Amanda Peet. Very dark & twisted humor about a fallen MLB Play-by-Play Announcer who is trying to re-group his life and get back to the big game after a very embarrassing on-air meltdown during a game. Most of Azaria's lines are pure descriptive poetry (while all very inappropriate) and funny beyond belief. Not your typical comedy and definitely not for the conservative at heart. :twisted:
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Reset on Vice News. Interesting 10-part look into different aspects of how video games shape society.

Mosquito Coast on Apple TV+. Kept watching this hoping it would get better, it never did.

Mythic Quest on Apple TV+. Season 2 isnt quite as good as Season One, but I love McElhanney's stuff so it doesnt matter. :happy
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Really enjoyed Mythic Quest.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

JBTX wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:40 am Watched "Chance" on Hulu. Hugh Laurie plays a nueropsychaitrist. Obviously they were trying to capture some of the magic of House. 2 seasons and it grows progressively more implausible, but almost worth watching just for Hugh Laurie.
Thanks for posting this. We are in the middle of Season 2, and very much enjoying this show about a forensic neuropsychiatrist who takes restorative justice matters into his own hands. There is some great and funny dialog when least expected. For example, an aide offering parenting advice to Hugh Laurie's character says "If she were my kid, I'd take her out for f.. ice cream and nunchucks." Highly recommend.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:08 am
Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:50 pm
Not quite as good as season 1, but season 3 is still fantastic.
Agree season 3 was very good. Season one was so good primarily due to the characters. Season 3 is more low key but has a good plot. I thought they ended it very well. Season 2 was a train wreck.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I found the first episode of Mare of Easttown terribly boring, but DW & I stuck it out. Subsequent episodes moved much more quickly. I found the series worthwhile but not outstanding. I liked the first season of True Detective, hated the second, and passed on the third.

We just finished the latest Kim's Convenience and are currently enjoying the latest season of The Kominsky Method.
Same on Mare of Easttown. About half way through the first episode I was ready give it up. Completely uninteresting. My wife had watched and said it was good so I went back and finished it. It does become interesting and is worth fighting through the first episode.

Give true detective season 3 a try. I thought it was very good and a nice recovery from season 2.