[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
The Electrician

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by The Electrician »

"Footloose in England's Lake District" on Prime video.
Husband (photographer) and wife (narrator) travel to various European locations in this and other episodes. They are walking/hiking most locations and photography became HD in most recent years (but has always been good). Sound sometimes inconsistent levels but tolerable.
Wife and I enjoy the shows and find them informative and calming. Maybe we'll move to The Cotswolds - or maybe somewhere near the Alps - or the Loire Valley!
Well VISIT anyway. Not moving from USA!
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:29 am We are finishing up the final season (6) of "Vikings". The series went down a little when Ragnar died, but still one of our favorite shows ever. We have 2 more episodes; interested to see how they wrap it all up. My wife likes it so much that she decided to name our son after a Norse mythical figure (5yrs ago).
Try "The Barbarians" on Netflix. About Germanic tribes uniting to take on the Romans at Teutoburg Forest in 9AD. Very happy to see my Teutonic ancestors wipe the Romans out. :sharebeer
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Schitt's Creek on Netflix. Hilarious!
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

The Dig (currently on Netflix - # 3 in USA). A typical English period piece, set in pre WW2 England, all about a self-trained archeologist starring Ralph Fiennes.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Expanse, on Amazon Prime. I watched the first 2 seasons a few years ago, but I'm restarting from Season 1.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Currently watching: The Expanse, Mr. Robot, and starting Criminal Minds from the beginning

Recently finished: Night Stalker and The Undoing
queso

Post by queso »

We're all watching the same stuff.. :)

Keeping pace with The Expanse as new episodes are released and watching Mr. Robot in between.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

New Tricks. On Britbox and Prime Video.

From IMDB: "Three retired police officers are drafted in to solve cold cases, with a touch of comedy and drama." A good description of this British show. There are four main characters -- the three retirees and their boss. They are all good at what they do. The main characters are likeable with interesting personalities. The plots are creative, although they do include the standard upper-level boss that gives them grief. The light comedy works well. I runs from 2003 to 2015 so there are many episodes to watch. I'm still in season 2.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Kompass wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:32 pm
bengal22 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:35 pm Watching "Pretend it's a City" a netflix 7 part series directed by Martin Scorsese. Funny and a great look at N Y C.
+1 savoring one episode a day
Thanks for the recommendation. I think Ms. Leibovitz is hilarious!
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

pshonore wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:13 am The Dig (currently on Netflix - # 3 in USA). A typical English period piece, set in pre WW2 England, all about a self-trained archeologist starring Ralph Fiennes.
We just watched this. Very well done, IMO. But, to me, it was depressing. Interested to hear what others think.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Hamish MacBeth, on Amazon Prime.

A BBC drama/comedy about a police constable set in a small fishing village in Scotland. The heavy accent makes it a little hard to follow, but the show is still enjoyable.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

We wait every week for PBS All Creatures Great and Small. Outstanding. Feel good entertainment.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

bertilak wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:07 pm New Tricks. On Britbox and Prime Video.

From IMDB: "Three retired police officers are drafted in to solve cold cases, with a touch of comedy and drama." A good description of this British show. There are four main characters -- the three retirees and their boss. They are all good at what they do. The main characters are likeable with interesting personalities. The plots are creative, although they do include the standard upper-level boss that gives them grief. The light comedy works well. I runs from 2003 to 2015 so there are many episodes to watch. I'm still in season 2.
DW & I have been watching this for the past several weeks. Currently on Season 8 or 9. Very enjoyable light watching. We do let out with an occasional sudden loud laugh which is unusual for us while watching anything other than stand-up comedy.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Based upon a recommendation here, we've been watching "The Bureau", a French offering centering on the world of espionage and intelligence.

We are midway through the first season and it is excellent. Intelligent and thought provoking. And much more realistic than virtually any other show in the genre.

(French with subtitles.)
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Just finished season 2 of "Barry" on HBO Max. While all of the episodes have some dark moments and periods of great humor, Episode 5 in Season 2 had MrsCruise and me rolling on the floor laughing.

Thanks to a previous poster who recommended this series!
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

bertilak wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:07 pm New Tricks. On Britbox and Prime Video.

Those are just great.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

We've been watching Virgin River on Netflix, and so far we are enjoying it.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Watched first season of Broadchurch. Very Good, but very dark/heavy/ tragic. Second season so far is ok but not as good.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

We watched the first episode of "Resident Alien" on SyFy based on reviews and our love of Alan Tudyk's work. It is a dark sci-fi comedy. Tudyk is great and hilarious, as expected, and we are looking forward to subsequent episodes, of which 3 are currently available. (It's hard to go back to weekly episodic TV.)

https://www.syfy.com/resident-alien
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

JBTX wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:34 pm Watched first season of Broadchurch. Very Good, but very dark/heavy/ tragic. Second season so far is ok but not as good.
We didn't make it past the 1st episode of season 2. We didn't like where it looked like it was headed. Seemed like it was going to be a very frustrating experience.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:18 pm Hamish MacBeth, on Amazon Prime.

A BBC drama/comedy about a police constable set in a small fishing village in Scotland. The heavy accent makes it a little hard to follow, but the show is still enjoyable.
One interesting scene I remember had a road sign saying something like: "maximum three sheep abreast."

Based on books by M.C. Beaton who heartily disliked the TV adaptation. One of her later books had a TV producer as a villain.

M.C. Beaton authored the books the Agatha Raisin show is adapted from. She died in 1919 at age 83.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Swimmer wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:24 pm We wait every week for PBS All Creatures Great and Small. Outstanding. Feel good entertainment.
Cute show. :happy
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

bertilak wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:24 pm
JBTX wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:34 pm Watched first season of Broadchurch. Very Good, but very dark/heavy/ tragic. Second season so far is ok but not as good.
We didn't make it past the 1st episode of season 2. We didn't like where it looked like it was headed. Seemed like it was going to be a very frustrating experience.
Season 2 was entirely around resolution of the 2 issues brought up in season one, the current murder and the prior murder haunting the cop prior to the show. Season three seems to be starting fresh with a new issue.

Season 2 was ok, but nothing like season one.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Started Stargate from season 1.

Was an original watcher when it began on SyFy channel back in the day. Forgot how series used to gradually get better after the first season.

Always had a nice concept. Writing seemed to improve after each season, imo. On season 4 now, I think the last season on SyFy before Showtime picked it up or HBO. I forget. But I’m pretty sure this is my favorite season....
ScoobyDoo!
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

+1 Enjoyed First season. I think I loosely watched season 2. Not sure I finished it. Was a bit too heavy! Stopped being entertaining and started being all gut wrenching! There’s season 3 right? I think David Tennent said he was glad for the show to be ending!
ScoobyDoo!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I have started watching a new series on CNBC: “Empires of New York”.

I am enjoying it. Greed, power, wealth!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:37 pm
+1 Enjoyed First season. I think I loosely watched season 2. Not sure I finished it. Was a bit too heavy! Stopped being entertaining and started being all gut wrenching! There’s season 3 right? I think David Tennent said he was glad for the show to be ending!

Seems like a lot of Netflix shows are like this. I think I’m ready to cancel but have been awaiting the final season of Better Call Saul. I liked Schitts Creek and even Kim’s Convenience. They didn’t keep me up at night. Not much light hearted stuff out there or I’m missing it.
frugalnotenough

Post by frugalnotenough »

Line of Duty-binge watched the first five seasons, clever plots, keep me guessing. Can’t wait to see the next season. Currently the first four seasons are free for Amazon Prime.
WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo »

HUMANS (British version) is so far anyway, a 3 season show- with each season kind of a different, compelling story line. Found it to be engaging and well written.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair
Eowyn

Post by Eowyn »

I just finished Foyle's War Season 1 (on DVD from the library) and liked it enough that I'll be picking up Season 2 over the weekend. Season 1 first aired in 2002 and there were 8 seasons total.

WW2 era detective drama set in Sussex, England. Unlike some detective shows where the murder has already happened before the opening credits, in this show you get to know a bit about the victim before they are offed.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We are watching “Designated Survivor” on Netflix and love it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designate ... TV_series)

Tony
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Eowyn wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:11 pm I just finished Foyle's War Season 1 (on DVD from the library) and liked it enough that I'll be picking up Season 2 over the weekend. Season 1 first aired in 2002 and there were 8 seasons total.

WW2 era detective drama set in Sussex, England. Unlike some detective shows where the murder has already happened before the opening credits, in this show you get to know a bit about the victim before they are offed.
We read about Foyle's War here on BH, and we just loved it. It wasn't one of those shows where the first season was a winner, but it was all downhill from there.

After you've finished the entire series, look also for some really interesting shorter segments of "behind the scenes". I'd suggest waitng until you've finished, to avoid potential spoilers in that "about the filming" parts.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Eowyn

Post by Eowyn »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:19 pm
Eowyn wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:11 pm I just finished Foyle's War Season 1
After you've finished the entire series, look also for some really interesting shorter segments of "behind the scenes". I'd suggest waitng until you've finished, to avoid potential spoilers in that "about the filming" parts.

RM
Thank you for the recommendation!
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Streets of Dreams” on CNBC with Marcus Lemonis. Enjoy it.

https://www.cnbc.com/streetsofdreams/

Tony
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Eowyn wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:11 pm I just finished Foyle's War Season 1 (on DVD from the library) and liked it enough that I'll be picking up Season 2 over the weekend. Season 1 first aired in 2002 and there were 8 seasons total.

The show's writer is Anthony Horowitz. Keep an eye out for him. Anything he does is worth watching. For example he wrote season one of Midsomer Murders -- kinda set the tone -- and did a lot of Agatha Christie's Poirot episodes (my guess is the best ones).
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Finished S1 of "Mossad 101" on Netflix. Subtitled, but well written and acted. It follows a Mossad training class that "doesn't exist". Paced much like "The Blacklist" with twists, turns and betrayals right up to the closing credits. Very much enjoyed it.
Elric

Post by Elric »

The Expanse season 5. I wasn't that into Season 4, for whatever reason, but I really liked season 5. I don't know how they can wrap things up with just one more season left, unless they depart significantly more from the books.

Vikings, 2nd half of season 6 (final season). I've the series finale left to watch. It's all available on Amazon Prime now, coming to the History Channel later this year.
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Watched a few American Greed episodes today.

Tony
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Season 3 of "The Sinner" on Netflix. First two seasons were great, this one appears to be similarly well done.
zxllxz

Post by zxllxz »

About to finish up "The Bay" on Britbox.
usagi

Post by usagi »

The first two episodes of The Saint starring Roger Moore. Somehow I expected Simon Templar so be a bit more of a seducer but so far it has all been rather Saintly. : ) Definitely not his James Bond, bad boy persona.

His clothing is impeccably tailored.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Capsu78 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:13 pm Just finished S3 of Borgen(CC) on Netflix. Enjoyed it, even though the CC was not always in sync with the actual Danish I suspect. In many ways as good as the West Wing was in its heyday with plot twists, flawed characters but mostly likable.
I just read S4 has been contracted for release in 2022. It will be interesting to see how they bridge and connect as S3 was from 2013.
Thanks to whoever recommended it on this thread a couple months ago.
We're also watching it. It's a solidly good though not truly great show IMO. I find it a bit predictable and preachy at times (though I find preachiness less annoying in foreign shows, they aren't preaching directly at me). But I agree the plot is sometimes refreshingly unpredictable and the acting makes you care about the characters. We run it on English dubbing/Danish subtitles. You can see how relatively similar the two languages are, especially if you think for a moment to recognize various Germanic cognates spelled differently and/or which have related rather than identical meanings in the two modern languages. I admire the Danes among other things for their high national level of English proficiency, and it's interesting in the show how public criticism of one government minister is for his 'dårligt' (obviously related to 'derelict' but the meaning is just 'bad') English, but you can see how it's not as hard for them as native speakers of unrelated languages. The language aspect adds a bit of interest to me.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

Wife and I are watching Your Honor on Showtime and enjoying the suspense. We enjoy watching limited series shows because they have the feeling of reading a novel. The performance of the actors is frequently exceptional.

DMW
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:44 pm Season 3 of "The Sinner" on Netflix. First two seasons were great, this one appears to be similarly well done.
I am watching S1E2. I’m not sure what the show is actually about yet, but I like it and may stick with it.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

Watching Season 3 of “Le Bureau”. Outstanding show, probably best we have watched in a long time.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

JackoC wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:57 am
Capsu78 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:13 pm Just finished S3 of Borgen(CC) on Netflix. Enjoyed it, even though the CC was not always in sync with the actual Danish I suspect. In many ways as good as the West Wing was in its heyday with plot twists, flawed characters but mostly likable.
I just read S4 has been contracted for release in 2022. It will be interesting to see how they bridge and connect as S3 was from 2013.
Thanks to whoever recommended it on this thread a couple months ago.
We're also watching it. It's a solidly good though not truly great show IMO. I find it a bit predictable and preachy at times (though I find preachiness less annoying in foreign shows, they aren't preaching directly at me). But I agree the plot is sometimes refreshingly unpredictable and the acting makes you care about the characters. We run it on English dubbing/Danish subtitles. You can see how relatively similar the two languages are, especially if you think for a moment to recognize various Germanic cognates spelled differently and/or which have related rather than identical meanings in the two modern languages. I admire the Danes among other things for their high national level of English proficiency, and it's interesting in the show how public criticism of one government minister is for his 'dårligt' (obviously related to 'derelict' but the meaning is just 'bad') English, but you can see how it's not as hard for them as native speakers of unrelated languages. The language aspect adds a bit of interest to me.
My observation as well Re: preachiness... I'm OK with mentally processing opposing political issues, but give Hollywood the script writing for this series and they would go overboard with the preaching, and my remote would go "click". The Danes who wrote this addressed some politics, but did so by writing it into the actual plot instead of virtue signaling. Glad you enjoyed it. Have you tried "Occupied"?
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:33 pm Started Stargate from season 1.

Was an original watcher when it began on SyFy channel back in the day. Forgot how series used to gradually get better after the first season.

Always had a nice concept. Writing seemed to improve after each season, imo. On season 4 now, I think the last season on SyFy before Showtime picked it up or HBO. I forget. But I’m pretty sure this is my favorite season....
OTA TV. Watched "Stargate: The Ark of Truth" on big TV, with Super Bowl on adjacent small TV.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
sleepwell

Post by sleepwell »

Lupin, on Netflix. The main character is a man (a thief? A good guy?) who is attempting to find out who set his father up to take the fall for the theft of a valuable necklace years previously, and why. Details are revealed with each episode. The title comes from the character of Arsene Lupin, The Gentleman Burglar, created by Maurice LeBlanc. There is a tie-in to the main character in the show.

So far I've enjoyed it. Not dark, not particularly suspenseful, just easy to watch. My kind of show.

Sleepwell
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

Started watching "The Night Manager" on Amazon Prime.

3 Episodes in and I think it's very good. Story, acting and direction are all top notch.

Summary:

The Night Manager is a British television serial directed by Susanne Bier and starring Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie, Olivia Colman, David Harewood, Tom Hollander, and Elizabeth Debicki. It is based on the 1993 novel of the same name by John le Carré and adapted to the present day by David Farr. The six-part series began broadcasting on BBC One on 21 February 2016. In the United States, it began on 19 April 2016 on AMC.

The first series of The Night Manager was nominated for 36 awards and won 11, including two Emmy Awards for director Susanne Bier and music composer Victor Reyes and three Golden Globes for Best Performance to Tom Hiddleston, Best Performance for an Actress in a Supporting Role to Olivia Colman, and Best Performance for a Supporting Actor for Hugh Laurie.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

sid hartha wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:58 am Started watching "The Night Manager" on Amazon Prime.

3 Episodes in and I think it's very good. Story, acting and direction are all top notch.

Summary:

The Night Manager is a British television serial directed by Susanne Bier and starring Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie, Olivia Colman, David Harewood, Tom Hollander, and Elizabeth Debicki. It is based on the 1993 novel of the same name by John le Carré and adapted to the present day by David Farr. The six-part series began broadcasting on BBC One on 21 February 2016. In the United States, it began on 19 April 2016 on AMC.

The first series of The Night Manager was nominated for 36 awards and won 11, including two Emmy Awards for director Susanne Bier and music composer Victor Reyes and three Golden Globes for Best Performance to Tom Hiddleston, Best Performance for an Actress in a Supporting Role to Olivia Colman, and Best Performance for a Supporting Actor for Hugh Laurie.
Enjoyed this as well. can’t really remember much except it was some fun action. Have an inexperienced/unintentional James Bond type show in my head but like I said i only remember that I was pleasantly surprised! Time to watch it again!

And I’m an action and good acting type of Gal!

Not-with-standing my other nonsense watches like Supernatural - finally getting to season 10-15 😂
- and Agents of Shield. Can’t say the action is ‘must watch’ nor the acting ‘golden globe worthy’! 😳🤔😶
ScoobyDoo!