[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Blues, you’re probably the best placed to come up with the definitive list of global shows of that ilk. Obviously The Bureau would be the French #1, but we need Scandinavian, Dutch, German, Spanish, Indian, and more and more. Maybe a separate thread is in order if the moderators will allow it.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sure, if you can frame the discussion to focus on shows other than English. I'm only concerned that everyone will start posting about shows that should be listed here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:36 am Blues, you’re probably the best placed to come up with the definitive list of global shows of that ilk. Obviously The Bureau would be the French #1, but we need Scandinavian, Dutch, German, Spanish, Indian, and more and more. Maybe a separate thread is in order if the moderators will allow it.
I'm sure that would be an interesting topic to try to flesh out over time. Of course. I can only speak to those I have seen...and recall...and resonate with my experience. For example, though I have worked in numerous task forces with state and local police, (as well as international brethren), I was never a uniformed police officer...though I have more than a passing acquaintance with the work and routine.

Be fun, especially when typing is easier after getting some stitches in my hand removed. (Don't ask. :oops: )
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Bosch - Season 7 - Maybe a little forced, but still good stuff. Looking forward to the spin-off on IMDBTV.

New Tricks - This grew on us and we really enjoyed it - the 4 original characters had good chemistry. But once they started dropping out the show started going downhill. The replacements were just not in the same league. We quit after season 10 once there were only 1 of the original 4 left.

Grantchester - Now on season 2. Interesting setting - post WW2 England - with the good and bad of the 1950s. James Norton is such great actor. Interesting to see him in this role as the vicar, as contrast to his portrayal of the sociopath serial killer in Happy Valley.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:43 am Sure, if you can frame the discussion to focus on shows other than English. I'm only concerned that everyone will start posting about shows that should be listed here.
You mean like posting some long TV shows/series as movies and vice versa?
Or movies watched on TV or movies produced for TV, etc.?

:wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

Try HIT AND RUN on Netflix. If you liked FAUDA, this is Israeli TV in New York City to catch the bad guys by episode 3.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

FandangoDave5010 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:35 am Try HIT AND RUN on Netflix. If you liked FAUDA, this is Israeli TV in New York City to catch the bad guys by episode 3.
+1. We have watched 3 episodes and like it. I would say so far it is 50/50 English/Hebrew.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:43 am
FandangoDave5010 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:35 am Try HIT AND RUN on Netflix. If you liked FAUDA, this is Israeli TV in New York City to catch the bad guys by episode 3.
+1. We have watched 3 episodes and like it. I would say so far it is 50/50 English/Hebrew.
+1

Watched four episodes so far. Plot twists galore.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I am watching Mr. Robot on Amazon Prime. I just finished Season 1 and enjoyed it, especially the last couple of episodes! I''m on the first episode of Season 2 and am already a little confused. I'm in IT and the 'technical terms they are are pretty accurate if not a bit simplified. I like the show and some of the themes they explore but I honestly find it odd they have a company in it called Ëvil Corp, it's one of those things that makes me scratch my head about an otherwise good production. I'm deliberately not reading anything about the show to avoid spoilers but I am hoping there is an explanation for that one.
Last edited by Elsebet on Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Blues

Post by Blues »

Elsebet wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:54 pm I am watching Mr. Robot on Amazon Prime. I just finished Season 1 and enjoyed it, especially the last couple of episodes! I''m on the first episode of Season 2 and am already a little confused. I like the show, but I honestly find it odd they have a company in it called Ëvil Corp, it's one of those things that makes me scratch my head about an otherwise good production. I'm deliberately not reading anything about the show to avoid spoilers but I am hoping there is an explanation for that one.
I was mildly entertained at times during the first season, but largely underwhelmed...and season 2 was the kiss of death. My missus was in full agreement.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Finished Lupin Season 2 over the weekend. We switched from French/English subtitles to English...yeah the lips and words didnt exactly matchup, but what an excellent show.

Moved on to Dirty John. Slow start and really picked up the pace. We have watched Season 1:1-6 so far. Dark, very dark but based on true crime. Hadnt heard of this before this weekend. Netflix gave it a 98% match and we gave it a try.

Ed
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Thanks for the tip..Big fan of Fauda.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Finished "Broadchurch" - Good characters played by good actors, nice local color of the small coastal town, and a variety in the storylines. S3 had unusual guest casting which made the storyline somewhat unusual and a contrast to how an American show would have done it. (It was a bit hard to get used to but was absolutely the right decision.)

Charlotte Rampling guested in S2. I've seen her only once in a film and liked her and was happy to see her appear here. Too bad she wasn't give much to work with. That was my main (and minor) disappointment.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Currently watching The Blacklist. James Spader is amazing!
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

"Hit and Run," on Netflix. Starring Lior Raz of "Fauda" fame. Israeli series about a man investigating the hit and run death of his wife. Very engaging.

Edit: Oops, just noticed this was recommended a couple of posts above!
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Just finished White Lotus on HBO. Starts with a body being loaded onto a plane and plays out as a "who's the body?" across a wide cast of odd and entertaining characters. We found it weird and enjoyable but it likely isnt for everyone.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Just finished "Mindhunter", a series based on actual events. The characters were good. The FBI behavioral science unit had the right mix of collegiality and conflict. The serial killers were household names.

Season 1 started off slow with minimal dramatic tension, but was still interesting. Season 2 was bingeable.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Finished S1 "Hit and Run" on Netflix. Enjoyed it and look forward to another season as this ones storyline ends pretty much unresolved.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Capsu78 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:25 pm Finished S1 "Hit and Run" on Netflix. Enjoyed it and look forward to another season as this ones storyline ends pretty much unresolved.
This has become a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Tell us in advance if you know that the story is glaringly unresolved, as this one was. I can understand if it isn’t clear at the time; for example, Black Widow was complete as a single season, and then others were added on. With Hit and Run, I would rather have waited until the second season before watching any of it.

Maybe this is because my memory of characters is suffering from age related decline. It’s especially the case for series from small countries (Netherlands, Iceland, etc) where there are apparently a small number of actors used for series, and I can’t remember who was who in the series and get very confused — “wait, wut, wasn’t she married to that guy, or was she his sister? Wasn’t she murdered last season?”
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Watched first two episodes of "Reservation Dogs" (FX) on Hulu. Hilarious. Everything Taika Waititi is involved in is good.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:54 pm
Capsu78 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:25 pm Finished S1 "Hit and Run" on Netflix. Enjoyed it and look forward to another season as this ones storyline ends pretty much unresolved.
This has become a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Tell us in advance if you know that the story is glaringly unresolved, as this one was. I can understand if it isn’t clear at the time; for example, Black Widow was complete as a single season, and then others were added on. With Hit and Run, I would rather have waited until the second season before watching any of it.
This doesn't relate to the exact situation you lay out, but the last two series I've commented on had me thinking about series ends though in different ways.

For "Broadchurch", I felt the show could have ended after Season 1. It felt complete. Season 2 was almost like an add-on, like maybe the producers said "Hey, we had this great reception with Season 1, maybe we should have a Season 2!" Seasons 2 & 3 then were not as easy to get into as Season 1, but in the end, things came full circle and it was a satisfying whole.

For "Mindhunter", there were "falling anvils" throughout the two seasons suggesting a third season was planned. Also, Season 2 ended in a cliffhanger sort of way which furthered this suspicion. It left me wanting more story. I read that the producer was thinking about a third season but had other projects going on and if there is a third season, it may be a long time from now.

As for what I'm watching now... "The Night Manager". I finished episode 2 of this miniseries. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm not liking it that much so far. It seems too James-Bondy with its exotic locales (okay, Zermatt and Mallorca were nice so not really complaining) and every woman is either a prostitute, a bimbo or a one-night stand. The cast is good but things seem too shallow right now. We'll see if my opinion changes.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

roamingzebra wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:45 pmAs for what I'm watching now... "The Night Manager". I finished episode 2 of this miniseries. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm not liking it that much so far. It seems too James-Bondy with its exotic locales (okay, Zermatt and Mallorca were nice so not really complaining) and every woman is either a prostitute, a bimbo or a one-night stand. The cast is good but things seem too shallow right now. We'll see if my opinion changes.
We tried to watch it after glowing reviews from many on here. I was bored after 2 or 3 episodes and we never finished.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Grace and Frankie on Netflix, Season 7. If you're of a certain age group (like me), it's hilarious. Wait for the plot to unfold and the humor will build.

Season 7 only has 4 episodes. A search on Google shows that a total of 16 episodes are on the books, but production was delayed to to COVID-19. Production restarted in June 2021, but won't be available until 2022. The four episodes were released as a stop-gap until the remaining final season 7 episodes are released.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:48 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:45 pmAs for what I'm watching now... "The Night Manager". I finished episode 2 of this miniseries. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm not liking it that much so far. It seems too James-Bondy with its exotic locales (okay, Zermatt and Mallorca were nice so not really complaining) and every woman is either a prostitute, a bimbo or a one-night stand. The cast is good but things seem too shallow right now. We'll see if my opinion changes.
We tried to watch it after glowing reviews from many on here. I was bored after 2 or 3 episodes and we never finished.
It's funny. Everywhere I looked (many websites), this show was proclaimed as the greatest thing since sliced bread. I later read that at the time, it was the most expensive BBC production ever. I can't help but wonder if some of the reviewers were paid to generate excitement and make sure the costs were covered. Not that this is a horrible series - far from it -- but it's pretty much a standard action series in my book; i.e., nothing special.

Anyway, I finally finished the series. After the somewhat meh start, the suspense came in the final two episodes, and they were very good.

For those not familiar, plot was not spy v spy (my personal preference and thus showing my bias), but rather spy v international arms dealer. The spy is a hotel manager-turned-amateur-undercover-agent. Olivia Coleman is his handler. The convoluted relationships among the intel and government agencies could be confusing for someone not familiar with terms like Permanent Secretary or River House.

There were some details that I thought shouldn't have been glossed over (e.g., a woman hangs herself in the middle of her own birthday party and there's no explanation or follow-up!). But to accelerate the pace, I guess they moved on quickly perhaps hoping the beautiful people and the beautiful scenery would make up for it. Olivia Coleman was good and her personality lightened things up, though she was very heavy, as in very pregnant.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Just finished watching the first season of "The Chair," on Netflix.

Very entertaining and funny show about the life of a newly-minted English Department chair at a private university. Stars Sandra Oh. This series should especially interest those who are or have been employed in academic settings. The show obviously has benefited from consultants who have been deans and department chairs after they were graduate students and tenured faculty. While embellished, very true to life situations.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

roamingzebra wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:24 pm
It's funny. Everywhere I looked (many websites), this show was proclaimed as the greatest thing since sliced bread. I later read that at the time, it was the most expensive BBC production ever. I can't help but wonder if some of the reviewers were paid to generate excitement and make sure the costs were covered. Not that this is a horrible series - far from it -- but it's pretty much a standard action series in my book; i.e., nothing special.

Anyway, I finally finished the series. After the somewhat meh start, the suspense came in the final two episodes, and they were very good.

For those not familiar, plot was not spy v spy (my personal preference and thus showing my bias), but rather spy v international arms dealer. The spy is a hotel manager-turned-amateur-undercover-agent. Olivia Coleman is his handler. The convoluted relationships among the intel and government agencies could be confusing for someone not familiar with terms like Permanent Secretary or River House.

There were some details that I thought shouldn't have been glossed over (e.g., a woman hangs herself in the middle of her own birthday party and there's no explanation or follow-up!). But to accelerate the pace, I guess they moved on quickly perhaps hoping the beautiful people and the beautiful scenery would make up for it. Olivia Coleman was good and her personality lightened things up, though she was very heavy, as in very pregnant.
I agree the show was good, but not extraordinary. I watched it when it first came out. As I recall, it had a satisfying conclusion (no spoilers here).

One aspect I liked was Hugh Laurie's portrayal of the central villain in contrast to his House MD character (perhaps my all-time favorite TV series). In House, his personality was the ultimate jerk but he ultimately was a force for good (medical outcomes). In The Night Manager, he was evil but personally charming.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We have been enjoying “Manifest” on Netflix, which added the third and final season yesterday. In addition, the rumor mill says that Netflix if negotiating a possible season 4 to pick up where NBC left off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_(TV_series)

🚀
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:29 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:10 pmI've been watching Wentworth based on the suggestions in this thread. Thanks! I really like it so far (after 2 seasons). The character development is very intricate and complex. I can't understand the Aussie accent and jargon sometimes LOL.
I finished Season 8 just a few days ago after watching one episode a day for the past three months. I'm really missing my daily fix. Incidentally Season 9, the final one, is or was in production with release planned for 2021.
Heads up!

The first episode of Wentworth season 9 airs down under tomorrow.

One Step Ahead
Blues

Post by Blues »

Finished "Hit and Run" last night with the missus.

We enjoyed it, but it was longer than it needed to be...and as usual, much suspension of belief was required.

It did have some intriguing qualities, however.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Not sure if I've mentioned it, but we have recently started enjoying

Bergerac

This is an older crime show set on the island of Jersey.

Bergerac is a detective, and the show has a slightly "gentle" feel to it, a bit like "Sheffield", also set in the UK area islands.

Each episode stands alone with new problems and villains.
It's easy watching, with a minimum of violence.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:02 pm Watched first two episodes of "Reservation Dogs" (FX) on Hulu. Hilarious. Everything Taika Waititi is involved in is good.
It is a very funny show. Lots of language though.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Capsu78 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:21 pm
Thanks for the tip..Big fan of Fauda.
I thought Hit and Run was just ok. Nowhere near as good as Fauda though.
Last edited by MDfan on Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Random Poster wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:39 pm
stoptothink wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:02 pm Watched first two episodes of "Reservation Dogs" (FX) on Hulu. Hilarious. Everything Taika Waititi is involved in is good.
It is a very funny show. Lots of language though.
Reservation Dogs is really good. I just hate waiting a week for new episodes (like with Ted Lasso which may be the best show on any channel right now) so I'm going to wait until they're all available then binge-watch the rest.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Lupin on Netflix, Part 2 (Season 2). I saw the first season earlier this year. This time around, I'm watching it in high-def (Dolby Vision). Watching only 1 episode so far, I think it's as good as the first season.

The series is French with a spoken language of French. Spoken English is available, along with subtitles.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:26 am
roamingzebra wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:24 pm

I agree the show was good, but not extraordinary. I watched it when it first came out. As I recall, it had a satisfying conclusion (no spoilers here).

One aspect I liked was Hugh Laurie's portrayal of the central villain in contrast to his House MD character (perhaps my all-time favorite TV series). In House, his personality was the ultimate jerk but he ultimately was a force for good (medical outcomes). In The Night Manager, he was evil but personally charming.
I watched this years ago when it aired. I found it somewhere between OK and good, but wasn't as blown away as the reviews.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Cruise wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:16 pm Just finished watching the first season of "The Chair," on Netflix.

Very entertaining and funny show about the life of a newly-minted English Department chair at a private university. Stars Sandra Oh. This series should especially interest those who are or have been employed in academic settings. The show obviously has benefited from consultants who have been deans and department chairs after they were graduate students and tenured faculty. While embellished, very true to life situations.
Also recently watched this. The Atlantic said it was the best Netflix drama in many years. It also had a light/humorous side to it. It took on some of the so called "cancel culture" environment that exists in academia/elite private schools, and tried to do it in a reasonably balanced sort of way. I liked it OK. I don't know how accurate the portrayals are, but there are certain things portrayed that bother me so much I had a hard time enjoying the show. To go beyond that would likely get outside forum rules.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JBTX wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:27 am
Cruise wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:16 pm Just finished watching the first season of "The Chair," on Netflix.

Also recently watched this. The Atlantic said it was the best Netflix drama in many years. It also had a light/humorous side to it. It took on some of the so called "cancel culture" environment that exists in academia/elite private schools, and tried to do it in a reasonably balanced sort of way. I liked it OK. I don't know how accurate the portrayals are, but there are certain things portrayed that bother me so much I had a hard time enjoying the show. To go beyond that would likely get outside forum rules.
Just read the synopsis. As someone who has worked in academia, I think I would have a really hard time enjoying it as well.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Elsebet wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:54 pm I am watching Mr. Robot on Amazon Prime. I just finished Season 1 and enjoyed it, especially the last couple of episodes! I''m on the first episode of Season 2 and am already a little confused. I'm in IT and the 'technical terms they are are pretty accurate if not a bit simplified. I like the show and some of the themes they explore but I honestly find it odd they have a company in it called Ëvil Corp, it's one of those things that makes me scratch my head about an otherwise good production. I'm deliberately not reading anything about the show to avoid spoilers but I am hoping there is an explanation for that one.
I assumed Evil Corp was just a psuedonym used by everybody but the corporation itself.
I don't think anyone that works for the company calls it that?

I can't remember where we left off on this show, but it gets a little too big for its own britches.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"Line of Duty" follows the Brit equivalent of Internal Affairs as they go about their investigations. Lots of subterfuge and intrigue. Season 1 was bingeable, but then it started getting depressing. I compare it to "Bosch" where there can be shades of grey but you still like the characters. Not here. The good become unlikeable, and the bad become even more unlikeable. I ended up thoroughly unsatisfied at the end of S1 even though the acting was superb.

But it's a very good series, so onward to Season 2.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:08 pm Not sure if I've mentioned it, but we have recently started enjoying

Bergerac

This is an older crime show set on the island of Jersey.

Bergerac is a detective, and the show has a slightly "gentle" feel to it, a bit like "Sheffield", also set in the UK area islands.

Each episode stands alone with new problems and villains.
It's easy watching, with a minimum of violence.

RM
I looked this up and found that the title character is played by John Nettles of Midsomer Murders fame. He sure looks different at that much younger age but his mannerisms and voice are unmistakable. Quite interesting to watch.

The show itself is pretty good. Bergerac is a cop with typical cop problems: an injury, an ex-wife, a troublesome boss who always complains about Bergerac's unconventional behavior. Of course there is a will-they/won't-they platonic relationship. I'm not far enough into it to know if all those characterizations will hold up.

Oh yes, it has Annette Badlands who plays Fleur Perkins (the pathologist) in later (post-Nettles) Midsomer shows. She is great in Midsomer and really brings the show up a notch or two. Sample Midsomer dialog:
  • [upon their first meeting at a crime scene]

DCI John Barnaby : I'm DCI John Barnaby. I was hoping for an estimated time of death.
    Fleur Perkins : Are you a smoker? Heavy drinker?
    DCI John Barnaby : No?
    Fleur Perkins : Then I give you another thirty years
I'll keep watching.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

tomsense76 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:58 pm
tooluser wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:09 pm Finished season 3 of Goliath on Amazon Prime, which I had not had for a year but repurchased for inflight entertainment options. It was good, less horror and more legal than season 2. Season 4 is supposed to be coming out this year. It's supposed to be the final season.
Looking forward to season 4. Bummed it's the final season though
I don't know when they posted it, but I watched the Season 4 preview trailer today on Amazon Prime. It looks good. A voiceover mentioned that this is the "final battle". Bruce Dern is in it, and the guy from the Farmer's Insurance commercials apparently plays the bad guy, head of an opiate manufacturer.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I watched S1 E1 of Laugh In, the comedy sketch show from the late 1960s. Definitely a product of its time. The original source material is audibly censored when one of the hosts makes a comment about the Vietnam war expanding into other nations.

For some reason my parents let all of us kids watch this show with them when we were very little. I remember it not being very funny, but very interesting to watch. Same effect 50+ years later. It did have one very good series of jokes near the end though.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

tooluser wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:54 pm
tooluser wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:09 pm Finished season 3 of Goliath on Amazon Prime, which I had not had for a year but repurchased for inflight entertainment options. It was good, less horror and more legal than season 2. Season 4 is supposed to be coming out this year. It's supposed to be the final season.
I don't know when they posted it, but I watched the Season 4 preview trailer today on Amazon Prime. It looks good. A voiceover mentioned that this is the "final battle". Bruce Dern is in it, and the guy from the Farmer's Insurance commercials apparently plays the bad guy, head of an opiate manufacturer.
Jk Simmons. He is really good on the former Starz series Counterpart (now on Amazon), probably one of the better series that I didn't anticipate it being as good as it was, and he was outstanding in the movie Whiplash. It is interesting to see him play roles where he's just an ordinary guy - like in the accountant, and a complete jack ass in whiplash. What is good about counterpart is he plays both a ordinary guy and a bad ass.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Didn't know what to watch so we started watching "Hap & Leonard" on Netflix. (We're Michael K. Williams fans.)

Entertaining so far...but the story moves along too slowly, imho.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

tooluser wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:54 pm I don't know when they posted it, but I watched the Season 4 preview trailer today on Amazon Prime. It looks good. A voiceover mentioned that this is the "final battle". Bruce Dern is in it, and the guy from the Farmer's Insurance commercials apparently plays the bad guy, head of an opiate manufacturer.
J.K. Simmons has been on our screens for years as the police psychiatrist from the Law & Order franchise, but his lasting legacy will be Farmer's Insurance haha.
Blues

Post by Blues »

roamingzebra wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:32 pm
tooluser wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:54 pm I don't know when they posted it, but I watched the Season 4 preview trailer today on Amazon Prime. It looks good. A voiceover mentioned that this is the "final battle". Bruce Dern is in it, and the guy from the Farmer's Insurance commercials apparently plays the bad guy, head of an opiate manufacturer.
J.K. Simmons has been on our screens for years as the police psychiatrist from the Law & Order franchise, but his lasting legacy will be Farmer's Insurance haha.
I think his role as Schillinger on Oz is what I'll remember him for, primarily.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Miss Marple on Britbox and Amazon Prime.

This is the 1980s BBC series starring Joan Dickson. These are multi-episode productions of the 12 Miss Marple novels, 2-3 TV episodes per novel. We have watched 8 of the 12 so far.

Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

American Masters — Buddy Guy: The Blues Chase The Blues Away

A 90 minute retrospective of the career of bluesman Buddy Guy including interviews with other famous blues guitarists he influenced and with the man himself. Includes snippets of many famous performances. I enjoyed it. I watched it on PBS.

Here’s the trailer

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmaster ... ary/17954/
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

JBTX wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:06 pm
Jk Simmons. He is really good on the former Starz series Counterpart (now on Amazon), probably one of the better series that I didn't anticipate it being as good as it was, and he was outstanding in the movie Whiplash. It is interesting to see him play roles where he's just an ordinary guy - like in the accountant, and a complete jack ass in whiplash. What is good about counterpart is he plays both a ordinary guy and a bad ass.
Looking forward to it! :beer

Apparently they are rebooting Leverage, which is exciting and may scratch the same itch. Had mixed feelings hearing Timothy Hutton is out, but they are including Noah Wyle in his place and have liked him in other shows. So planning on checking that out.

Ah yeah Jk Simmons is great. Counterpart was also good. Felt like they could have fleshed that out more. Kind of a bummer they stopped at 2 seasons. Still good though.

Would suggest checking out Coherence if you liked Counterpart. It's on Prime. It's a movie as opposed to TV show. Really liked. Fun if you like movies/TV shows that make you think a bit.
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

tomsense76 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:29 pm
JBTX wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:06 pm
Looking forward to it! :beer

Apparently they are rebooting Leverage, which is exciting and may scratch the same itch. Had mixed feelings hearing Timothy Hutton is out, but they are including Noah Wyle in his place and have liked him in other shows. So planning on checking that out.

Ah yeah Jk Simmons is great. Counterpart was also good. Felt like they could have fleshed that out more. Kind of a bummer they stopped at 2 seasons. Still good though.

Would suggest checking out Coherence if you liked Counterpart. It's on Prime. It's a movie as opposed to TV show. Really liked. Fun if you like movies/TV shows that make you think a bit.
Apparently counterpart was cancelled by Starz because

1. They were moving towards a more female geared audience, and that show was considered to "male" (go figure)

2. It's ratings weren't good.

For years I had Starz but never watched it, for some reason the same guy playing two roles seemed dumb, although actually turns out it was a feature, and I wasn't aware of the parallel universe theme.