[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ResearchMed

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:05 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:28 am We've just given up on Bergerac, alas,
I can see your take on Bergerac.

We are still watching and only have a few episodes of the last season to go.

It does seem to have lost its way towards the end, but I would say only a little lost.

Bergerac himself does not disappoint and seems to be getting more and more like Barnaby -- an interesting progression.
Yes, he's quite fine.
However, we occasionally commented about how can he do some of these episodes... doesn't he have *any* say about any of it?
Answer is "probably not", and as long as that paycheck is coming in and the contract is still in force, etc.
But I don't think being in these episodes does anything positive for his image as an actor. If this had been all that we saw, we might not think particularly highly of him as an actor, but it's hard to know that, of course.

Without giving away too much of the non-plot, what was your take on that archeology espisode. I thought the last part, involving Bergerac was especially... odd... We had been waiting for some sort of "Aha!" moment.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“American Greed” the El Chapo episode. Incredible.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Watched "Mare of Easttown". Kate Winslet owns it, but overall a stellar cast. We're lucky to have Winslet on American television.

An interesting and related tidbit from IMDb:
According to director Craig Zobel, Kate Winslet was the only actor confident enough to go back to her native accent in between takes; every other actor was terrified to let it go. For the cast and crew, witnessing Winslet immediately switch from a Delco accent to her normal English accent nonchalantly was an astonishing sight.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:12 pm Without giving away too much of the non-plot, what was your take on that archeology espisode. I thought the last part, involving Bergerac was especially... odd... We had been waiting for some sort of "Aha!" moment.
Not one of my favorites. If I remember correctly, this is one of those episodes that teases the supernatural and tries to end on a mysterious note: "Is it or is it not?" To be fair, lots of shows (including a few Midsomer episodes) do this.

I think Midsomer is more tongue-in-cheek. Having some member of Barnaby's family so often (coincidentally?) involved is about as believable as the supernatural touches. Perhaps that is one of those supernatural touches: "The Curse of Joyce (or Sarah or even Cully). I've heard it joked that Joyce is actually a very clever serial killer.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

"Line of Duty" and "Prime Suspect" on Britbox. Got the Amazon 99¢ deal, but likely worth $6.99 going forward. Brits do great drama.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
hohum

Post by hohum »

"The Veil" on viki.com. A Korean intelligence agent goes missing in China and returns to his organization a year later to find the person who betrayed him. Won some writing awards. Violent, but a great story if you are okay with the violence.
30% VTI | 20% AVUV | 15% AVDV | 15% SGOL | 10% BRK.B | 10% VGSH
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Anyone else feel that Season 3 of Succession has reached its End of Life? It seems have to gone way downhill.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Cruise wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:27 pm Anyone else feel that Season 3 of Succession has reached its End of Life? It seems have to gone way downhill.
I made the same comment a couple weeks back on another board. I can't wait for the season to end next weekend.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We just finished season 2 of "Hanna" and are starting on season 3. IMO, it's pretty decent; thought season 2 was better than the first.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Blues wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:34 pm
Cruise wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:27 pm Anyone else feel that Season 3 of Succession has reached its End of Life? It seems have to gone way downhill.
I made the same comment a couple weeks back on another board. I can't wait for the season to end next weekend.
Agree. I was surprised to enjoy it, given its shortcomings, but had begun to look forward to new episodes. In fairness, the most recent episode was better than the two prior, but meh.

Apparently it still has high ratings. “Nothing succeeds like excess.”
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Just finished "Midnight Mass" streaming on Netflix. It's a limited series so it's a quick watch. I really enjoyed it, the actor who plays the Priest is especially good. I had to attend Catholic church when I was young and he nailed the tone & demeanor of the younger priests that I recall.

It reminds me a bit of the movie "Storm of the Century" since both have a similar setting and both are horror films, but the plot is slightly different.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
apple44

Post by apple44 »

Watching "Succession" now. Many podcasts I'm following are discussing/referencing this show (the main topics often unrelated to TV entertainment), so I have to watch it in order to understand what the hosts are talking about :happy
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

roamingzebra wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:58 pm Watched "Mare of Easttown". Kate Winslet owns it, but overall a stellar cast. We're lucky to have Winslet on American television.

According to director Craig Zobel, Kate Winslet was the only actor confident enough to go back to her native accent in between takes; every other actor was terrified to let it go. For the cast and crew, witnessing Winslet immediately switch from a Delco accent to her normal English accent nonchalantly was an astonishing sight.
We've finished the first 2 episodes and will continue. I can't even explain how good Winslet is in this. There was a scene in ep 2 with her remembering an event that was so well acted, I felt like I was there. The raw, authentic emotion generated by the scene had my heart in my throat. Her subtle facial expressions were amazing... none of this fake crying stuff you see in lesser actors. I'll give some credit to the director too. He is getting the best out of everyone.

DW is hooked too. She rarely likes much TV. She spent some time near Philly and she couldn't believe these were acted accents -- yet she knew it because it was Kate Winslet. The accent thing is important for this show because the main theme revolves around a small group of people who know each other so well, have lived there their whole lives, etc. It is integral to the show.

Great suggestion! I was inspired to start our binge from this post.
apple44

Post by apple44 »

Tubes wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:47 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:58 pm Watched "Mare of Easttown". Kate Winslet owns it, but overall a stellar cast. We're lucky to have Winslet on American television.

We've finished the first 2 episodes and will continue. I can't even explain how good Winslet is in this. There was a scene in ep 2 with her remembering an event that was so well acted, I felt like I was there. The raw, authentic emotion generated by the scene had my heart in my throat. Her subtle facial expressions were amazing... none of this fake crying stuff you see in lesser actors. I'll give some credit to the director too. He is getting the best out of everyone.

DW is hooked too. She rarely likes much TV. She spent some time near Philly and she couldn't believe these were acted accents -- yet she knew it because it was Kate Winslet. The accent thing is important for this show because the main theme revolves around a small group of people who know each other so well, have lived there their whole lives, etc. It is integral to the show.

Great suggestion! I was inspired to start our binge from this post.
Yes can't agree more!!!
The amazing thing about Kate Winslet's acting in this show is that it seems so natural and effortless. The "natural" part is unbelievable. Most actors (even great ones), often over do it, by making themselves uglier, fatter, etc., but with Kate, she did it exactly right, in all the details, no exaggeration at all, just astonishingly realistic and accurate -- there were moments when she's beautiful but most of the time, she's just exhausted, and not the completely beaten down exhausted, but a middle-aged woman with a complex family and work situation kind of exhaustion. She's so relatable as a character. Also, I didn't notice her accent at all!!! Just felt like normal people talking and behaving in real life. Many great actors tend to have moments when I feel they are screaming to the audience during certain scenes where they are showing off their acting skills: Look I'm acting I'm a great actor! There's not even one moment like that in this show. That's just remarkable.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Yellowjackets on Showtime has been great so far, only 4 episodes out
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Clickbait didn't make the cut. Lost interest by the third episode. Watched the third season of Fargo, a big step down from seasons 1 and 2. Not sure if I'll go to season four.

Now watching Peaky Blinders. As I average maybe 30 minutes a night watching TV, it's a slow process.

My wife is watching Taxi for the first time, I liked that show.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Just finished Mare of Easttown on HBO Now streaming. I heard a lot about this one both on Bogleheads and elsewhere. Additionally it is set in my home state so I get a lot of the references and the dialect. Really enjoyed it, they packed a ton of characters into the first season and it worked. They got a lot of the eastern PA references right (wawa). I grew up hearing words pronounced differently (creek = crick, wash = warsh, water = wooder), I heard a few of those on the show. The gritty/direct nature of people is spot on. I grew up in a small central PA town and the policing in this show brings back memories. Often the police officer knew you and your family and some things were not always handled by the book (for better or worse). This show got that aspect down perfectly. The acting and set design are all top notch.

The only drawback in my opinion is I feel like I've seen this brilliant but personally troubled detective/cop/journalist character before in so many places that it feels a little tired. This show is high enough quality though that I'm looking forward to season 2.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Elsebet wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:57 pm The only drawback in my opinion is I feel like I've seen this brilliant but personally troubled detective/cop/journalist character before in so many places that it feels a little tired.
I think one of the things I like about Midsomer Murders is there is none of that nonsense. Outside the office they are mostly normal people. There are occasional personal difficulties but, again, just like normal people.

Weelll ... One thing is that Barnaby's wife often becomes involved with victims or their crowd before the fact. The joke is that Barnaby's wife is the world's most devious and successful serial killer!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I only watched "Mare" since I knew Winslet was in it meaning it was probably well-acted if nothing else. But if I came for Winslet, I stayed for the whole atmosphere. It drew me in; it was its own little world and was interesting.

However, if given a choice, if there have to be troubled characters, I prefer they be the perps not the detectives in a crime series, and especially not the detective's kids. "Driven" detectives are fine, but if they're battling alcohol, drug abuse, past sexual abuse, Alzheimers, or their kid is on drugs, I'm not enthusiastic because I've seen it all before. I need to know that the acting along with the writing and/or directing overshadow the depressing, overdone characters or plot.

Bosch is an example of a driven detective but his troubled past stems mainly from the unsolved (now resolved) murder of his mother. That is not an overdone thing, and it's interesting, so he's watchable. But if Bosch ever takes up drinking or drugs, it's probably good-bye.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

The Beatles Get Back. [A must-see IMHO. Lots of impressions available on Youtube. A new catchy song, too: Commonwealth.]
black jack

Post by black jack »

Having forgotten to cancel Disney+ after watching "Hamilton" a few months ago, I was able to watch the first four episodes of "Hawkeye," about the Marvel character (archer) in a plot that feels a bit like the "Home Alone" movies (a serious situation that is presented in a lighthearted way that makes you feel nothing really terrible is going to happen, in a seasonal movie). I like the interplay between Jeremy Renner and Hallee Steinfeld.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Elsebet wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:57 pm The only drawback in my opinion is I feel like I've seen this brilliant but personally troubled detective/cop/journalist character before in so many places that it feels a little tired.
True.

In "Mare," it did seem to be a bit much. HOWEVER, we have friends who have kids going through nearly the exact same situation as Mare did with her kids. The cycle of teen pregnancy is real, and the waves created by it crash everywhere. Of course the problem of teen pregnancy may be created by previous waves crashing on the teen. And so on.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Random Musings wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:57 pm Watched the third season of Fargo, a big step down from seasons 1 and 2. Not sure if I'll go to season four.
Seasons 1 and 2 are amazing, season 3 is a downgrade but still good. We completely lost interest a few episodes into season 4; it's so slow to develop.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:38 am
Random Musings wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:57 pm Watched the third season of Fargo, a big step down from seasons 1 and 2. Not sure if I'll go to season four.
Seasons 1 and 2 are amazing, season 3 is a downgrade but still good. We completely lost interest a few episodes into season 4; it's so slow to develop.
Ditto. We're in season 4 but switched to "Mare." Now finished with "Mare," we're back to "Fargo 4" but having a hard time getting into it.

After watching "Mare," "Fargo" clearly comes off as the cartoon version of cop shows.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

There, it is done. Thank you for not making more episodes this season. (My wife read a review saying that the season ending episode was "so awesome." Can't believe it wasn't a bot writing that."
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

In no particular order, we have been watching:

Stargate SG-1
The Chosen
Super Girl
MASH
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones »

I recently watched Trail of Tears on amazon Prime. The first 2 episodes are about the Indian Removal Act and the Trail of Tears. The third episode is about "Black Indians"-that is native Americans of mixed race. They were made in 2006 and are well done, but probably bit dated. The narrator is James Earl Jones. I would highly recommend these. I learned a lot. The 4th episode is about alternative medical treatment and, in my opinion, is not as good as the others. I couldn't finish it.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

Cruise wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:11 am
There, it is done. Thank you for not making more episodes this season. (My wife read a review saying that the season ending episode was "so awesome." Can't believe it wasn't a bot writing that."
Eh, I liked it.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

"Curb your Enthusiasm" season 10. Probably not for everyone, but if you like the show, you will like season 10.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Chris K Jones wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:34 am I recently watched Trail of Tears on amazon Prime. The first 2 episodes are about the Indian Removal Act and the Trail of Tears. The third episode is about "Black Indians"-that is native Americans of mixed race. They were made in 2006 and are well done, but probably bit dated. The narrator is James Earl Jones.
Your post somehow reminds me... I'm still watching "The Paper Chase" and in addition to academic related issues it covers some of the more lively social issues of the time (the 70s). The episode that I watched last night covered affirmative action with a new twist. (Please, no politics.) The black woman in Kingsfield's class, who had been admitted to the law school under affirmative action, was not performing up to the class standard. But it wasn't because she wasn't qualified, it was because of the emotional distress of having a lot of people THINK she didn't qualify. She would freeze whenever called upon in class even though she knew her material inside out. A twist I hadn't seen before. The show is a time capsule of the seventies and can be pretty interesting at times. Though caution... the production values are dated and the version on YouTube is low-res.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Just finished S2 "Baptiste"... On par with each of the other efforts around this character.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

MAKsdad wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:45 am
Cruise wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:11 am
Eh, I liked it.
I found it very up and down. Starts interesting but quickly gets into tired rut of spoiled kids fighting for the top spot. By about episode 3 I was tiring of it. But by episode 5 that plot line wrapped up and then went in a different direction that was somewhat more interesting.

As always scattered about the episodes are lines and anecdotes that have me rolling on the floor laughing.
DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings »

Season 4 of Fargo is worth it. Just keep watching.

We are currently enoying "The Good Doctor" and "The Rookie". They are nothing earth shattering, but they are entertaining and well done.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Short series True Story on Netflix was really good.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

DrippingSprings wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:43 pm Season 4 of Fargo is worth it. Just keep watching.

We are currently enoying "The Good Doctor" and "The Rookie". They are nothing earth shattering, but they are entertaining and well done.
I got through 2 or 3 episodes of season 4 and found I was bored to tears and gave up.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

Season 2 of The Witcher on Netflix.

Actually, it's been so long since we binge-watched Season 1 that I had forgotten most of the story. So re-watching Season 1 as well.

It's really well done.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

d0gerz wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:46 pm Season 2 of The Witcher on Netflix.

Actually, it's been so long since we binge-watched Season 1 that I had forgotten most of the story. So re-watching Season 1 as well.

It's really well done.
We are almost done re-watching season 1 before starting season 2, and I agree with you - this show is pretty good. Not a derivative fantasy series at all.
DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings »

JBTX wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:46 am
DrippingSprings wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:43 pm Season 4 of Fargo is worth it. Just keep watching.

I got through 2 or 3 episodes of season 4 and found I was bored to tears and gave up.
Definitely episodes 1 and 2 are not good. But the show does get a lot better.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We just came across a series that replays videos of the "World Scientific Festivel".

This episode was on "Harnessing the Power of Neuroplasticity".

"At last week’s talk [this was a few years ago] on neuroplasticity, we heard from neurobiologist and Dana Alliance member Carla Shatz, developmental psychologist and Dana Alliance member Nim Tottenham, and neuroscientist Alvaro Pascual-Leone. Moderated by neurosurgeon Guy McKhann, the discussion included what neuroplasticity is and why it’s important, critical periods of development in the brain, and the possibility of accessing it later in life for cognitive enhancement."

https://dana.org/article/wsf18-harnessi ... lasticity/

It was really fascinating, about neuroplasticity vs stability, with some very intriguing suggestions about the future of brain research, including therapies.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Keeping up with The wheel of Time on Amazon. Overall happy with the adaption, but as I posted earlier it feels a bit rushed with a lot of the storyline skipped. Trying to fit 800 pages into 8 episodes will do that, I suppose.

Episode 7's opening action sequence with the Maiden of the Spear (and mother of the future lead character) at the battle on Dragonmount was mind blowing! :twisted:
Double Chin Finn

Post by Double Chin Finn »

Season 6 of The Expanse has started on Amazon. The show is still going strong I'm happy to say.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Midsomer Murders on Acorn TV.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Season 8 of Homeland (last season) on Hulu (from Showtime). Really enjoying it.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
ultimate millennial

Post by ultimate millennial »

1883 on Paramount+

Prequel series to Yellowstone that is set in 1883. Follows a group of settlers consisting of a few cowboys, a family, and German immigrants on their quest to find a new life in the American West. Incredible first two episodes. Taylor Sheridan writes, produces, and directs. Sheridan is known for producing Sicario, Hell or High Water, and Yellowstone. 1883 by far the best true western tv series since Deadwood.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

ultimate millennial wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:40 pm 1883 on Paramount+

Prequel series to Yellowstone that is set in 1883. Follows a group of settlers consisting of a few cowboys, a family, and German immigrants on their quest to find a new life in the American West. Incredible first two episodes. Taylor Sheridan writes, produces, and directs. Sheridan is known for producing Sicario, Hell or High Water, and Yellowstone. 1883 by far the best true western tv series since Deadwood.
We just finished watching the first episode on Prime Video. Was disappointed (read: mad) to find that a subscription to Paramoount+ is required to continue--even though there is a 30 day free trial ($4.99/mo afterward). It was an easy decision to quit for DW and me. We were not spellbound by episode 1 but enjoyed it enough to keep driving--until we discovered the catch. Now on our way to find something else to watch.

We do thoroughly enjoy Yellowstone.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Not recently, but Nurse Jackie was recommended so many times and I like Edie Falco so I tried it somewhat reluctantly on Netflix. It’s very good. By the end you will be better able to identify telltale signs of addiction and sociopathy, if that is of value to you. But it’s also just a good drama with very well drawn characters.

Although I’m guessing medical professionals must be horrified how the practice of medicine is portrayed on TV. Saw it in real life a few times recently and it’s so advanced these days!
Blues

Post by Blues »

ultimate millennial wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:40 pm 1883 on Paramount+

I will respectfully disagree. I found it tolerable at best...and that was a big disappointment as I enjoy Westerns a great deal...when they're well done.

Of course, per usual, mileage will vary.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Watching "Station Eleven" on HBO.

I'd best describe it as how artists would act in a catastrophic pandemic.

Very different than typical pandemic dystopia. Only 3 of 10 episodes have dropped. I'll give it a chance. Episode 2 almost lost me. Ep 3 was better.

Knowledge of Shakespeare not required, but it would enhance the experience, especially for ep 2.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Yellowstone. Almost caught up after binge-watching over the last couple of weeks. Going to start watching 1883 as well..
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Mosquito Coast on Apple TV. Better acted than most similar shows. Had fewer instances of implausible plot developments and the writing is very good. Enjoyed the first season and will watch another when it becomes available.

Great British Baking Show BBC and Netflix. My son and GF recommended this. I don’t bake, but the show is endearing. I actually care about the contestants. I’ve watched I think 3 complete seasons; it’s my “go to” when my wife is working and I don’t want to watch something we watch together. It does sometimes make me hungry for a savory pie.

SurvivorHost Jeff Probst is having a midlife crisis. I’m embarrassed for him, but he’s clearly making bank. I’ll still watch season 42 (!!!!!).

Taste the Nation with Parma Lakshmi. Padma highlights the immigrants who made this country’s cuisine special. She and her guests/interviewees are delightful.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.