[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
travelspot

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by travelspot »

rterickson wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:09 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:24 am I have been binge-watching Hannibal.Excellent program. Serial killer shows fascinate me. Not sure what that says about me.

Broken Man 1999
You may be happy to hear that Season 9 of Dexter is scheduled to air this fall. I'll certainly watch it.
Wasn’t aware of that, thanks. That was a great show, up until last half of the last season...
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:24 am I have been binge-watching Hannibal.Excellent program. Serial killer shows fascinate me. Not sure what that says about me.

Broken Man 1999
You may be happy to hear that Season 9 of Dexter is scheduled to air this fall. I'll certainly watch it.
Yeah, Dexter was a great show. I thought at first the series was just cycling through, I didn't remember how many seasons it ran.

From Wikipedia:

"...In October 2020, it was announced that Dexter would return with a 10-episode limited series, starring Michael C. Hall in his original role, with Clyde Phillips returning as showrunner. It is slated to premiere in late 2021..."

Yes, I am very happy! Thanks for the heads-up!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I will be happy to watch Dexter again. It might make me forget Mr Hall’s weird and execrable British accent in Safe.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm hoping it's better than Season 8, which should have been skipped.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Dexter: A killer serial about a serial killer of serial killers.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

Broken Man 1999
I wasn't aware a 9th season of Dexter was in the works. Thanks for the heads up. I caught the first 8 episodes on DVD from my local library. Hope to watch it eventually on my Amazon Fire Stick.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
austriak

Post by austriak »

Recently finished 12 Monkeys. One of the best shows I've ever watched.

I'm in the middle of The Last Ship. A little cheesy at times but really good.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Finished S2 of "Mossad 101" on Netflix (in Hebrew with subtitles) . Whole season takes place in Kiev, which looks like a pretty interesting city to explore. Some hold over characters from S1, but mostly different storyline. Enjoyed it!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Just finished Season 3 of "Killing Eve". The show is kind of weird and season 3 really stretched my ability to suspend disbelief. I bet I'll watch season 4 if there is one just because the characters and plot are so different.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Unsolved Mysteries” on Netflix. The reboot! Used to love the show in 80s with host Robert Stack.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsolved_Mysteries

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Just finished Broadchurch, which I thought was a really well done British mystery. Particularly seasons 1 and 2 (there are 3 total). I though the acting was well done. I don't tend to get particularly emotional about TV shows, and this one got to me.

Also been watching Blown Away, a glass blowing competition show where someone gets sent off each episode. It has some of the hackneyed feeling of this type of shows (the hosts aren't great), but I find the glass blowing part very interesting.

Most who are interested have no doubt seen The Crown, but I just got started. Good acting, and interesting (if apparently not entirely accurate) history of the royal family. Makes me pleased to not live my life in a goldfish bowl.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Started watching The Expanse. Held off because I thought my wife would not like it, but that was a mistake :happy
We are in to season 4 and I would say it is one of the best shows we have watched.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:57 pm
Cruise wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:34 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:51 pm We watched a bit of Tehran on Apple TV. It was favorably mentioned on this thread, and I must be missing something. Mossad agents are legendarily tough and smart; the female agent in Tehran is neither. I don’t like shows where you spend so much time saying “Really? That’s what you think you should do?” Can someone give me reasons to try again?
I think you are confusing a stereotypical and idealized version of a superman/superwoman agent and a more realistic version of an agent that actually has feelings and is an imperfect human. I don't think this female agent is the best-portrayed version of that imperfect human-- a much better portrayal is the protagonist in Fauda.
I humbly suggest that you are making assumptions; I hate Superman/superwoman portrayals. I think any of the characters in The Bureau are superior portrayals. I haven’t watched Fauda.

As an example, would any agent with any training really have gone to the student protest to be seen by the conservative daughter of her aunt and risk the entire mission? That’s when I stopped watching.
You should watch Fauda. :sharebeer
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

hoops777 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:42 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:57 pm
Cruise wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:34 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:51 pm We watched a bit of Tehran on Apple TV. It was favorably mentioned on this thread, and I must be missing something. Mossad agents are legendarily tough and smart; the female agent in Tehran is neither. I don’t like shows where you spend so much time saying “Really? That’s what you think you should do?” Can someone give me reasons to try again?
I think you are confusing a stereotypical and idealized version of a superman/superwoman agent and a more realistic version of an agent that actually has feelings and is an imperfect human. I don't think this female agent is the best-portrayed version of that imperfect human-- a much better portrayal is the protagonist in Fauda.
I humbly suggest that you are making assumptions; I hate Superman/superwoman portrayals. I think any of the characters in The Bureau are superior portrayals. I haven’t watched Fauda.

As an example, would any agent with any training really have gone to the student protest to be seen by the conservative daughter of her aunt and risk the entire mission? That’s when I stopped watching.
You should watch Fauda. :sharebeer
Since I posted that, I have watched all three seasons of Fauda. I liked most of the characters and a lot of the plot, but I have to be honest and say that Doron upset me in a similar way to the agent in Teheran.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

It's a Sin and Falling Skies on HBO Max.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

The Knick on HBOMax

Two seasons.

In New York City in 1900, the Knickerbocker Hospital operates with inventive surgeons, nurses and staff who struggle against the limitations of medical understanding and practice, to minimize morbidity and mortality. Dr. John Thackery (partially based on historical figure William Stewart Halsted), the new leader of the surgery staff, balances his cocaine and opium addictions against his ambition for medical discovery and his reputation among his peers.[6] Dr. Algernon Edwards, a Harvard-educated Black American surgeon (probably based on the historical Daniel Hale Williams and Louis T. Wright) who trained in Paris, and is much more qualified than any other candidate, must fight for respect among the all-white hospital staff, as well as in the racially charged city.[7] While struggling to keep the lights on, the hospital attempts to attract a wealthy clientele, without sacrificing quality of care.
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

Stanley Tucci Searching for Italy on CNN. It is about the food and food culture in different areas of Italy. Make one's mouth water. Season 1 has 6 episodes and another season is planned.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Just saw first two episodes of False Flag on Hulu. Addictive story about lots of people living lies, but some having international impact. Centers on Mossad and Shin Bet.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Currently watching Hannibal series on Amazon prime. It was a 3 season nbc series based upon the early days of Hannibal Lecter from the movies. It is rather remarkable it was an nbc series based upon the amount of gore and other visual depictions of morbid topics.

I'm about half way through season 2. It is generally highly rated by rotten tomatoes and others that rate such things. It is well acted, deliberately paced, and generally well written so far, and imaginative, in terms of how morbid it can be. Having said that, I find I'm getting tired of it somewhat. It's a concept that may work for a movie or two but not so sure about 3 seasons of shows.
bf0123

Post by bf0123 »

2 eps in to Patriot on Amazon Prime. Great so far, one of the most interesting, quirky (in a quality, non-contrived way) starts to a show I've seen in some time. I hope it isn't downhill from here...
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bf0123 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:51 pm 2 eps in to Patriot on Amazon Prime. Great so far, one of the most interesting, quirky (in a quality, non-contrived way) starts to a show I've seen in some time. I hope it isn't downhill from here...
It isn't. One of the more creative shows in a long while. Second season is great too.
zincTwo

Re: Personal favorite TV/cable series

Post by zincTwo »

cnblure wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:45 pm Cheers, Frasier, Friday Night Lights, The Inbetweeners, Xena, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Cosby Show, and American Vandal.
+1; All great shows. We started rewatching Cosby recently, and were reminded how fantastic the writing was -- it really reinforced how family members should treat each other, communicate, and instill strong values -- and just good living (living within means, value of work, etc).
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

bertilak wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:24 amCan you elaborate? What did Netflix do to ruin it? IMDB lists Netflix as the distributor, not the producer, unless I am misunderstanding something.
They wrap up the "Who assassinated nearly every top federal government official" plotline and turn it into a sad and boring "West Wing" wannabee.
Da5id

Re: Personal favorite TV/cable series

Post by Da5id »

BroIceCream wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:59 am
cnblure wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:45 pm Cheers, Frasier, Friday Night Lights, The Inbetweeners, Xena, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Cosby Show, and American Vandal.
+1; All great shows. We started rewatching Cosby recently, and were reminded how fantastic the writing was -- it really reinforced how family members should treat each other, communicate, and instill strong values -- and just good living (living within means, value of work, etc).
I loved The Cosby Show when it first aired. I'd find it hard to watch now with him in jail though, his real life behavior is so at odds with his screen persona.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

I've been binge watching Time Team archeology digs from the UK which ran for a long time!

"OPEN a new TRENCH"...

This one was particularly good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZTsAh2frfI
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

The Last Place On Earth - IMDB (Amazon Prime)

Old BBC mini-series, a historical account of the race between Amundsen and Scott to the South Pole. Once they get past the initial episodes that details the politics/business maneuvers to try and finance the trip, the series really takes off. To the best of my knowledge, a fairly accurate rendition of the brutal conditions in Antarctica, and especially a comparative exercise contrasting the leadership and planning qualities of Amundsen and Scott. Once the race is on for real - I found the series compelling - and at times, painful to watch - frostbite, scurvy, starvation, and the fate of the dogs and horses involved.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

The dialect coach Erik Singer.YouTube
‘Accent Expert Gives a Tour of U.S. Accents’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1KP4ztKK0A episode 1 ~21 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsE_8j5RL3k episode 2 ~14 minutes

as the NYT reviewed this 2 episode mini series:
"The dialect coach Erik Singer has done a bunch of solo videos over the years, but this newer mini-series also brings in several other linguists and experts to explore and explain American accents among English speakers. Tracing regional dialects creates a sort of audio map of history, with ethnicity, migration and other languages affecting every vowel sound that crosses our lips. If you want something super interesting that does not require much in the way of an attention span, watch (wautch, waatch, wuhtch) this."

Fun to watch. They do talk awfully fast, so it was good there's no test at the end.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Thanks Heartwood.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:27 am Thanks Heartwood.
+1
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Emily in Paris on Netflix.

My wife didn't want to watch it and thought I would not like it. We turned it on to give it a try and started laughing almost immediately. Watched five episodes last night. Some stupid stuff, but pretty funny. What new outfit will she be wearing in the next scene?
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Ginny and Georgia on Netflix. I'd give it an A-. Recommend.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Change of pace watching "Suits"- a prior USA network series on Amazon about hotshot lawyers. Its kind of like junk food. Not sure why but it holds my attention. 3 seasons in and it is getting a little old.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Jean-Claude Van Johnson, 2016, Prime Video, starring (who else) Jean-Claude Van Damme

Good thing I am a fan of absurdity because this show is absurd. Intentionally so.

Premise: Jean-Claude Van Johnson is the real name of Jean-Claude Van Damme, his cover name, often shortened to JCVD. HIs cover takes him around the world as the actor JCVD giving him the opportunity to get involved in counter-mercenary activities. Adding to the absurdities there is time travel involved. The movie Timecop is often mentioned as a favorite of Jean-Claude. There is an alter-ego called Philip Van Damme that seems related to the time travel aspect. It is all more confusing than I can decipher so these comments are unreliable.

Action/fighting sequences are featured, usually in a comedic way (ala Jackie Chan?). JCVD has let his talents deteriorate contributing to some of the comedy.

One of the movies he is acting in is Huckleberry Finn. Huck's sidekick is, to be politically correct, called N-Word Jim. JCVD finds this is also offensive so the actor for Jim gets fired and is replaced by an Asian.

You gotta give Van Damme credit for being the brunt of most of the jokes.

I think it is a fun show. I have only seen the first few episodes.

Those that avoid bad language (F-words galore, double galore!) should avoid this.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

JBTX wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:36 pm Change of pace watching "Suits"- a prior USA network series on Amazon about hotshot lawyers. Its kind of like junk food. Not sure why but it holds my attention. 3 seasons in and it is getting a little old.
Yup, it was light, junk food type, and with the requisite "gotta hate 'em" character, etc.

But we had a LOT of trouble with the basic underlying premise, and it was very difficult to continually either suspend belief or acknowledge that little "tidbit".

And then there was the later segue of sorts to real life... also odd... :wink:

We had stopped watching it early on due to the 'disbelief' needed, but then came back to it.
Once we succeeded in that adjustment, it was simple watching, a decent distraction from real life.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:22 pm
JBTX wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:36 pm Change of pace watching "Suits"- a prior USA network series on Amazon about hotshot lawyers. Its kind of like junk food. Not sure why but it holds my attention. 3 seasons in and it is getting a little old.
Yup, it was light, junk food type, and with the requisite "gotta hate 'em" character, etc.

But we had a LOT of trouble with the basic underlying premise, and it was very difficult to continually either suspend belief or acknowledge that little "tidbit".

And then there was the later segue of sorts to real life... also odd... :wink:

We had stopped watching it early on due to the 'disbelief' needed, but then came back to it.
Once we succeeded in that adjustment, it was simple watching, a decent distraction from real life.

RM
Good show.Watched all the seasons when it was actually on tv, year by year. Like a lot of shows, if you take it too seriously you will find a problem.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:37 pm
bf0123 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:51 pm 2 eps in to Patriot on Amazon Prime. Great so far, one of the most interesting, quirky (in a quality, non-contrived way) starts to a show I've seen in some time. I hope it isn't downhill from here...
It isn't. One of the more creative shows in a long while. Second season is great too.
It's not just pretty good, It's double great.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Nate Bargatze The Tennessee Kid on Netflix

A stand-up comic I had not heard of. Luckily I gave it more than the first three minutes. One of the more talented guys I've watched in a long time. Funny, clean. Laugh out loud for my wife and me.

If you watch it, stay tuned for the closing credits which have a couple of photos of a couple of his riffs.

He's got another coming on Netflix on the 18th. I'll watch that as well as some of his routines on Youtube
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Currently watching Designated Survivor. I am two-thirds in to Season 1 and thought it was an OK show. Something to keep my mind occupied and away from work/family/responsibilities :D Maggie Q, Kal Penn and the key supporting cast carry the show. Sutherland is quite disappointing.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

Seal Team (CBS). I doubt real Team members do anywhere near as much introspection as on TV, but the impacts on the families seem realistic and the action sequences are riveting. Just when I think I know where the story is going, they veer off and do something else.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

heartwood wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:45 pm Nate Bargatze The Tennessee Kid on Netflix

A stand-up comic I had not heard of. Luckily I gave it more than the first three minutes. One of the more talented guys I've watched in a long time. Funny, clean. Laugh out loud for my wife and me.

If you watch it, stay tuned for the closing credits which have a couple of photos of a couple of his riffs.

He's got another coming on Netflix on the 18th. I'll watch that as well as some of his routines on Youtube
I went back and watched his first Netflix show last night, 30 minutes, a couple of years ago. Again very good, but some repetition of the show above which came later. Called The Standups. He's S1E1.

One of his riffs is about the Cape Fear Sepentarium. He improves upon it in the Nate Bargatze The Tennessee Kid on Netflix above. What he describes is memorialized by another visitor on Tripadvisor. Seach for Cape Fear Sepentarium.

If you'd like a 5 minute update to the visit, it's here: But I'd watch his show first for context.
https://www.facebook.com/natebargatze/v ... 8315819698

His new show starts today on Netflix The Greatest Average American.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Exchme wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:11 pm Seal Team (CBS). I doubt real Team members do anywhere near as much introspection as on TV, but the impacts on the families seem realistic and the action sequences are riveting. Just when I think I know where the story is going, they veer off and do something else.
Just started watching this. Pretty good. I put it in the NCIS category as always reliable entertainment.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

My Life is Murder (Amazon Prime/Acorn). Just finished season 1. Breezy Australia mystery series staring Lucy Lawless. We liked it, does not take itself too seriously, and with an appealing cast. Enjoyed seeing the scenes around Melbourne where the series is based. Series was renewed for a season 2.

New Tricks (Amazon Prime). Just started season 1. The pilot was slightly incoherent and not totally believable, but enjoyed it well enough that we'll keep watching to see if it hooks us in.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:53 pm My Life is Murder (Amazon Prime/Acorn). Just finished season 1. Breezy Australia mystery series staring Lucy Lawless. We liked it, does not take itself too seriously, and with an appealing cast. Enjoyed seeing the scenes around Melbourne where the series is based. Series was renewed for a season 2.

New Tricks (Amazon Prime). Just started season 1. The pilot was slightly incoherent and not totally believable, but enjoyed it well enough that we'll keep watching to see if it hooks us in.
I think it holds up.
Plots are pretty standard but the main characters are interesting. it is a fun show with just enough mystery to keep you guessing.

Not every mystery show's plots can equal Agatha Christie or Midsomer Murders.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Resident Alien on SYFY
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

bertilak wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:00 pm
Barkingsparrow wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:53 pm My Life is Murder (Amazon Prime/Acorn). Just finished season 1. Breezy Australia mystery series staring Lucy Lawless. We liked it, does not take itself too seriously, and with an appealing cast. Enjoyed seeing the scenes around Melbourne where the series is based. Series was renewed for a season 2.

I think it holds up.
Plots are pretty standard but the main characters are interesting. it is a fun show with just enough mystery to keep you guessing.

Not every mystery show's plots can equal Agatha Christie or Midsomer Murders.
+1

We finished New Tricks a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters hooked us. It is not very attention-demanding; we found it perfect viewing while cruising the internet or playing computer games.
retireIn2020

Post by retireIn2020 »

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abide
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Just watched PBS with Renee Fleming, performing last August at Dunbarton Oaks (DC).

I was so disappointed in the program.
Very little of the beautiful "grand opera" pieces that would be so remarkable sung by her.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:02 pm Resident Alien on SYFY
Agreed. Dark humor, but very funny.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

humblecoder wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:02 pm WandaVision (Disney+): Only 2 episodes out so far. It's a cross between Marvel and Twin Peaks, so might not be everyone's cup of tea.

After reading many recommendations for WandaVision I tried it last night. Perhaps as some say, it hooks you after awhile.

Definitely not my cup of tea based on part of the 1st episode.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

heartwood wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:24 am
humblecoder wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:02 pm WandaVision (Disney+): Only 2 episodes out so far. It's a cross between Marvel and Twin Peaks, so might not be everyone's cup of tea.

After reading many recommendations for WandaVision I tried it last night. Perhaps as some say, it hooks you after awhile.

Definitely not my cup of tea based on part of the 1st episode.
Totally with you, tried two episodes and don't get it at all. After reading some reviews, I don't think it is for me.