[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MP173

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MP173 »

We visited St. Louis last weekend, particularly "The Hill" Italian region.

Watched on Amazon Prime "America's Last Little Italy, The Hill" Sunday night. Very good documentary ($3.99) on the history and current state of affairs on The Hill. Great part of town for excellent Italian Food and culture. The documentary was very good...wish we had watched it prior to our visit.

Ed
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Well, I don't even know what it's called but I ran across it on YouTube: about a 2-hour history of the Moody Blues. It was just a "filler" for me, waiting for my wife to settle in for an evening of TV. It was extremely interesting and we both watched the whole thing. If you like the Moody Blues track it down on YouTube and watch it.

Interesting tidbit: Before they were The Moody Blues they were a club band in England and had the idea of linking up with the Mitchells & Butlers Brewery who sponsored (or owned?) several bars/clubs, figuring that would get them a more steady income. To this end, the band came up with an MB logo. That whole deal fell through but they had equipment and stationary with MB all over it so came up with name Moody Blues so as not to let that all go to waste.

Another interesting tidbit: Some fans started to look at them as spiritual leaders, causing a bit of difficulty. This inspired their song "I'm just a singer in a Rock and Roll Band." That's a great, hard driving, rock and roll song, by the way.

At the time. "Nights in White Satin" was a groundbreaking song. Which brings up another interesting tidbit: The Moody Blues had transitioned into a studio band, using lots of innovative studio techniques to produce their music -- to the point where it couldn't be created live! (They worked that out.)

They seem like a bunch of really nice guys. Give it a watch.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

bertilak wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:42 pm Well, I don't even know what it's called but I ran across it on YouTube: about a 2-hour history of the Moody Blues.
I'm guessing this is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKP3sYEUAm0
"A History of The Moody Blues" 02:29:16 duration

A wonderful group, and I own much of their rmusic. I was too young and sheltered to experience most of the 70s music in real time. I picked up much more of it later. Fascinating stories.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Two good ones:

Superman and Lois (season 1: HBO Max)

Dopesick (miniseries on HULU)

Both are really good.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

tooluser wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:30 pm
bertilak wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:42 pm Well, I don't even know what it's called but I ran across it on YouTube: about a 2-hour history of the Moody Blues.

A wonderful group, and I own much of their rmusic. I was too young and sheltered to experience most of the 70s music in real time. I picked up much more of it later. Fascinating stories.
Thanks for the tips. My wife and I had one of our first dates at a MB concert 30+ years ago. They were able to recreate a lot of the sounds using 2 keyboard players. Great show. One of those players later ended up in a very public lawsuit with the MBs. I'll be interested to see if that is covered in the documentary.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Tubes wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:19 am
tooluser wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:30 pm
Thanks for the tips. My wife and I had one of our first dates at a MB concert 30+ years ago. They were able to recreate a lot of the sounds using 2 keyboard players. Great show. One of those players later ended up in a very public lawsuit with the MBs. I'll be interested to see if that is covered in the documentary.
I’ll have to watch the show. I know tastes differ (De gustibus non est disputandum), and I don’t want to offend, but for years my “proof” of the ill effects of marijuana was that its use made one think that the Moody Blues were a good band. 😁
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:00 am I’ll have to watch the show. I know tastes differ (De gustibus non est disputandum), and I don’t want to offend, but for years my “proof” of the ill effects of marijuana was that its use made one think that the Moody Blues were a good band. 😁
Yeah, but it worked!

Seriously, I can understand where you're coming from. There was a span where, I think, they got into a rut. I remember telling someone at the time, to their horror, that the Moody Blues were getting a bit pretentious. I think the band also felt that and changed course with the album "A Question of Balance," getting (part way) back to their club band, live performance, roots. I liked them again! I didn't really understand this until I saw the documentary.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

MAKsdad wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:57 pm
heartwood wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:22 pm Caught the first episode of season 3 of Succession on HBO Max. I enjoyed the 1st season, 2nd season somewhat less so. The s3e1 was very hard to get back into the characters and plot. At one point I mentioned to my wife, is there any action? They just keep talking. My summary: waiting for a charter plane; talking on the phone, others talking on their phones, talking in cars, talking to the US President's aide (on the phone), lots of conference rooms with talk, talking in apartments.

Watchable, but not engaging for me.
Curious about this take...the entire show is about talking. There is no "action" it's always been dialog.

I do agree that it was hard for me to get back into though. I felt like a lot of things were happening at a really fast pace and (maybe because I was tired) it was a bit hard to follow.
Agree with all above. Kind of got me wondering why I liked this show so much.

The scheming in the past seasons seemed do much more subtle. S3E1 was like a jolt.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Just finished Only Murders in the Building. Seems like we enjoyed this a lot more than most here. I'd figured out the murderer pretty early on but it caught my wife off-guard.

We're also watching Dopesick, which is incredibly well done (albeit horrific and sad), the new season of Succession, which picked up where it left off and we just started The Wire as we'd never seen it. Literally one episode into what everyone has always called the greatest TV show ever made. IMO that would be Breaking Bad so I'm very interested to see how things go.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

bertilak wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:42 pm Well, I don't even know what it's called but I ran across it on YouTube: about a 2-hour history of the Moody Blues. It was just a "filler" for me, waiting for my wife to settle in for an evening of TV. It was extremely interesting and we both watched the whole thing. If you like the Moody Blues track it down on YouTube and watch it.

Interesting tidbit: Before they were The Moody Blues they were a club band in England and had the idea of linking up with the Mitchells & Butlers Brewery who sponsored (or owned?) several bars/clubs, figuring that would get them a more steady income. To this end, the band came up with an MB logo. That whole deal fell through but they had equipment and stationary with MB all over it so came up with name Moody Blues so as not to let that all go to waste.

Another interesting tidbit: Some fans started to look at them as spiritual leaders, causing a bit of difficulty. This inspired their song "I'm just a singer in a Rock and Roll Band." That's a great, hard driving, rock and roll song, by the way.

At the time. "Nights in White Satin" was a groundbreaking song. Which brings up another interesting tidbit: The Moody Blues had transitioned into a studio band, using lots of innovative studio techniques to produce their music -- to the point where it couldn't be created live! (They worked that out.)

Thanks, interesting facts. I saw them in concert in ‘71.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

tooluser wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:30 pm A wonderful group, and I own much of their rmusic. I was too young and sheltered to experience most of the 70s music in real time. I picked up much more of it later. Fascinating stories.
Your avatar brings up a question. You don't happed to be (just) a drummer in a rock and roll band, do you?
Last edited by bertilak on Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

bertilak wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:17 pm
tooluser wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:30 pm A wonderful group, and I own much of their rmusic. I was too young and sheltered to experience most of the 70s music in real time. I picked up much more of it later. Fascinating stories.
Your avatar b4ingw up a question. You don't happed to be (just) a drummer in a rock and roll band, do you?
LOL! Nice one!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll need to try to find this video. I wasn't the biggest fan, but I still listen to a couple of their tracks regularly.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:30 pm
bertilak wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:17 pm
Your avatar b4ingw up a question. You don't happed to be (just) a drummer in a rock and roll band, do you?
LOL! Nice one!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll need to try to find this video. I wasn't the biggest fan, but I still listen to a couple of their tracks regularly.
I think it must be this one: https://youtu.be/yKP3sYEUAm0
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Thanks!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We just stumbled across the first episode of "The Billion Dollar Code".

Based upon a true story:

From https://www.netflix.com/title/81074012

"In 1990s Berlin, an artist and a hacker invented a new way to see the world. Years later, they reunite to sue Google for patent infringement on it."

Apparently the script was from the trial and related documents (e.g., from depositions) to avoid running afoul of Google.

I had a bit of trouble understanding the dialogue occasionally.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:47 pm I had a bit of trouble understanding the dialogue occasionally.
When this happens to me I just turn on closed captioning, it helps a lot, especially with thick Scottish accents.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

JBTX wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:35 am
sureshoe wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:59 am
Cruise wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:09 pm Nearing the end of Season 1 of "The WIre." I'm watching it on HBO Max, but I've read that it may be available on Prime.

Characters on this gang-themed police show are excellently portrayed.
Even if you think Season 2 is awful, it's worth continuing to watch.

The complete change of story is a bit jarring.
I didn't think it was awful, but is the worst, comparatively, of the seasons. IMO season 3 is the best - you have a transition in interaction of a bunch of excellent characters. 4 and 5 are very good also in their own right with their specific themes.

I continue to think this was the best show ever made, hands down.
Season 3 is the best. I think they lost some steam in later seasons (most shows do). The problem I have with the Wire is that it's so nihilistic and so much of it goes unwrapped. That's part of what makes it good, but a bit unfulfilling.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I watched ep one of "The Wire" several months ago. I didn't like it mainly because of the overdone profanity but figured I'll give it a try at some future date.

I also watched the first ep of "Breaking Bad" to get a preview since everyone always talks about the show. It looked good but I'm a bit tired of drug-themed shows. So I'm putting off watching it along with "The Wire".

Right now, I'm finishing the "Prime Suspect" series with Helen Mirren. Each miniseries is excellent from start to finish. A true classic. I'm also watching "Spooks".
Blues

Post by Blues »

roamingzebra wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:58 am I watched ep one of "The Wire" several months ago. I didn't like it mainly because of the overdone profanity but figured I'll give it a try at some future date.
If the language were sanitized, the show would have been much less realistic.

The language, both on the part of law enforcement, criminals and politicians, especially in urban locales, is often quite colorful. As depicted in "The Wire", it was neither excessive nor without humor. "Bunk" wouldn't be "Bunk" without his language and dark wit. That goes for "Lester", "McNulty" and several other characters.

Try not to focus on the language and give it a chance. It's a special show, imho.

And I totally agree that "Prime Suspect" was another excellent show. In fact, I recommend it as often as I do "The Wire" to those who care to ask my opinion.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

jjunk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:29 pm Just finished Only Murders in the Building. Seems like we enjoyed this a lot more than most here. I'd figured out the murderer pretty early on but it caught my wife off-guard.

We're also watching Dopesick, which is incredibly well done (albeit horrific and sad), the new season of Succession, which picked up where it left off and we just started The Wire as we'd never seen it. Literally one episode into what everyone has always called the greatest TV show ever made. IMO that would be Breaking Bad so I'm very interested to see how things go.
Only Murders in the Building is a really fun show. Not great, but fun and an easy watch. I'm really looking forward to watching Dopesick because I've heard very good things.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Been watching Prime Suspect as well based on the number of recommendations in this thread. In addition to being good, with great acting, it is sort of a time capsule from the early 90's, including smoking in the office, lots of afterwork bar meet ups and good plot lines.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

MDfan wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:24 pm
jjunk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:29 pm Just finished Only Murders in the Building. Seems like we enjoyed this a lot more than most here. I'd figured out the murderer pretty early on but it caught my wife off-guard.

Only Murders in the Building is a really fun show. Not great, but fun and an easy watch. I'm really looking forward to watching Dopesick because I've heard very good things.
We finished it. I'll file it under "Worth it.". Best series ever? No. Worth my time to watch? Yes. Entertaining? Yes.

Of note is a cameo by a musician well known to generation Jones and Gen-x people. That was fun.

I think New Yorkers would get more out of it than the rest of us.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

bertilak wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:42 pm Well, I don't even know what it's called but I ran across it on YouTube: about a 2-hour history of the Moody Blues. It was just a "filler" for me, waiting for my wife to settle in for an evening of TV. It was extremely interesting and we both watched the whole thing. If you like the Moody Blues track it down on YouTube and watch it.

I was hopeful after reading your review. Hoped that it would have the feel of "20 Feet from Stardom," with an entertaining mix of music and talk. However, we found it dreadful-99% talk and very little music. Would not recommend unless one is much more intellectually engaged than apparently I am!
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Okay, 66 pages of posts. Haven't read them all, but I have a good one to add to the mix. I've been watching Lodge 49 (2 Seasons from AMC, but now reruns on HULU). This show is hilarious. It stars Wyatt Russell (as "Dud") and a host of other familiar faces. It's about a life lost young accident prone surfer pool man ("Dud") and his quest on the true meaning of life after his fathers death and how he stumbles upon the Mythical "Lodge 49" that is full of other lost people and their intertwined linkages to the "True Lodge". Bummer that Lodge 49 was cancelled by AMC after 2 seasons, but on-line rumors or hopes that Netflix revives it. One can HOPE!. Enjoy
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Wrapped up "Midnight Sun" on Hulu this weekend and it did not disapoint. Used closed captions but estimate over 50% in English. Scenery in Sweden is quite nice and ends up in some of the plot line.
Lot's of twists and turns and a bit grusome at a couple of times, but always part of the story. It sort of felt influenced by Goliath in a couple of places, but predates it...so maybe Goliath writers took some cues from it.
Recomend for ant Nordic noir fans.
NB- apparently a number of movies with this title. This one invoves a French female homicide investigator investigation a murder of a French citizen in Sweden.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4836846/
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:47 pm We just stumbled across the first episode of "The Billion Dollar Code".

Based upon a true story:

From https://www.netflix.com/title/81074012

"In 1990s Berlin, an artist and a hacker invented a new way to see the world. Years later, they reunite to sue Google for patent infringement on it."

Apparently the script was from the trial and related documents (e.g., from depositions) to avoid running afoul of Google.

I had a bit of trouble understanding the dialogue occasionally.

RM
We had looked up the history of this, and thus "knew how it would end". [One "sort of" spoiler is mentioned in this post, something that happened post-production, which I've included below, but it's hidden unless one specifically looks by hovering and highlighting. It doesn't affect the "story line", but it still caught us...]

We had mixed feelings about having done this (since we otherwise weren't familiar with this situation) as we were watching part way through. It is 4 episodes, with the trial being the final episode.

What I can say is the way they handled the ending was ... interesting.

We really enjoyed it all of the episodes.

It had a slight sense of "Halt and Catch Fire", but was shorter and more focused on the technical and legal aspects, and less on the various "life" issues that the protagonists may have been dealing with. "Halt" had a lot more of that.

We hadn't known about the background issues involved until watching this and also thus doing a bit more reading elsewhere.

Something that happened post production [SORT OF A SPOILER]:
One of the two main protagonists died about 3 months before the release of this series this October (2021). That hit us in the gut when we realized it from an "in memoriam" display at the end of the final episode.

RM
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"Elizabeth I" (TV Mini Series 2005) - Helen Mirren, Hugh Dancy, Toby Jones. "Mini-series about the the public and private lives of the later years of Queen Elizabeth I."

Brilliantly acted. Helen Mirren can do no wrong. A good mix of strength and humor. A few moments of brutal violence.

Am still plugging away at "Spooks". As one of those crisis-of-the-week shows with self-contained episodes, I don't find it bingeable, but it's still a good show. Not in the same category of "The Americans" or "Le Bureau", but still good.

I also found a very old show I didn't even know existed, on YouTube -- "The Paper Chase ". It's about a guy in first-year Harvard law school and stars John Houseman and James Stephens. Some of the secondary characters over-act, but Houseman and Stephens are great. The show is dated but I suppose that's part of the charm.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Narcos Season 3 on Netflix. Very violent but highly entertaining if you can get past that. The previous seasons were excellent also.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

roamingzebra wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:22 pm "Elizabeth I" (TV Mini Series 2005) - Helen Mirren, Hugh Dancy, Toby Jones. "Mini-series about the the public and private lives of the later years of Queen Elizabeth I."

Brilliantly acted. Helen Mirren can do no wrong. A good mix of strength and humor. A few moments of brutal violence.

Am still plugging away at "Spooks". As one of those crisis-of-the-week shows with self-contained episodes, I don't find it bingeable, but it's still a good show. Not in the same category of "The Americans" or "Le Bureau", but still good.

I also found a very old show I didn't even know existed, on YouTube -- "The Paper Chase ". It's about a guy in first-year Harvard law school and stars John Houseman and James Stephens. Some of the secondary characters over-act, but Houseman and Stephens are great. The show is dated but I suppose that's part of the charm.
Ah, "The Paper Chase".

... a VERY OLD show... !? :shock:

I'd consider "Elizabeth I" about some very old times...
... but some of us here are BH were alive - and adults - when "The Paper Chase" was released in 1973.

Ouch!

Cheers,

RM
scguy613

Post by scguy613 »

bertilak wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:21 pm I just realized that Goliath's latest season (4) is available on Amazon Prime. I was sure it was in my watchlist and would have been thrown at me as soon as it was available, which was way back on June 4. Somehow I missed it. Anyway, I just finished the first episode. Things ae still pretty slow as they set up the new plot. Each season has an overriding plot.

It stars Billy Bob Thornton as (wait for it...) Billy. The main supporting actress is Nina Arianda as Patty, kind of Billy's "Gal Friday." The main bad guy is played by William Hurt. It also has Bruce Dern.

I enjoyed the first three seasons so I an looking forward to the rest of season 4.
I watched the first three seasons. Great show and Billy Bob is one of my favorite actors. I will start on season 4 this weekend.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Profit” season 8. Only 8 episodes. Just read this was the final season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Profit_(TV_series)

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

The Morning Show Apple+
The Shrink Next Door Apple+
Yellowstone Paramount
Impeachment FX
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:03 pm “The Profit” season 8. Only 8 episodes. Just read this was the final season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Profit_(TV_series)

Best.
Tony
I really like this show. I didn’t know it was still on
Something similar is a less flashy show on PBS called Start Up.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:39 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:22 pm "Elizabeth I" (TV Mini Series 2005) - Helen Mirren, Hugh Dancy, Toby Jones. "Mini-series about the the public and private lives of the later years of Queen Elizabeth I."

Ah, "The Paper Chase".

... a VERY OLD show... !? :shock:

I'd consider "Elizabeth I" about some very old times...
... but some of us here are BH were alive - and adults - when "The Paper Chase" was released in 1973.

Ouch!

Cheers,

RM
Okay, how 'bout I put it this way. When the main character has a gigantic mop of curly hair and one of the female students sometimes wears a band around her forehead, hippy-style, that's the kind of old/dated I'm talking about. Though, add a tie-dye t-shirt and we'd probably have Grateful Dead fans thinking it was 2021. ;)

Also, there's just something about the production quality of older shows. They seem more "brownish" to me. That's probably not the right word. Maybe it's just that they lack crisp and vibrant colors.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

The best part about old TV shows and movies is that they don't have cell phones or search engines/the internet. So many plots ruined by modern technology. Old Six Million Dollar Man episodes, so easy to fix now. The Fembots hold up well though? We're really not there yet.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

tooluser wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:46 pm The best part about old TV shows and movies is that they don't have cell phones or search engines/the internet. So many plots ruined by modern technology. Old Six Million Dollar Man episodes, so easy to fix now. The Fembots hold up well though? We're really not there yet.
But where does Superman change into his uniform?
JDave

Post by JDave »

None at all.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

I'm trying (failing so far) to get engaged in "Dexter: New Blood".
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I finally figured out the pattern of "Spooks". Usually an episode is, as mentioned earlier, a crisis of the week. However, when a deeper dive into character development happens and a storyline may carry over to one or two additional episodes, and the episode(s) are more engaging than usual due to the emphasis on character, that means that character is leaving the show. That's unnerving. Two good characters have already left. I'm bracing for two additional ones as I already see some "falling anvils".
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

roamingzebra wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:41 am I finally figured out the pattern of "Spooks". Usually an episode is, as mentioned earlier, a crisis of the week. However, when a deeper dive into character development happens and a storyline may carry over to one or two additional episodes, and the episode(s) are more engaging than usual due to the emphasis on character, that means that character is leaving the show. That's unnerving. Two good characters have already left. I'm bracing for two additional ones as I already see some "falling anvils".
So as not to create any spoilers, I will be vague here.

My wife and I watched a show where we both disliked the main character's girlfriend. It was one of those situations where the girlfriend can't understand why the main character's job is so important to him and why he can't drop everything (even when lives are at stake) to pay more attention to her. We thought "What a whiner! Why doesn't he drop her?"

When a couple of episodes seemed to be easing her out we cheered. But then, she got herself killed! We both felt a little like we were responsible! Maybe we were, indirectly. If we weren't the only ones who disliked her, perhaps the audience's general feeling was what got her dropped from the show. Maybe the writers were happy to see her go and wanted to be sure she couldn't come back! Were we part of an angry mob? Impossible since we didn't start watching the show until long after it originally aired but, still, we felt a tinge of guilt. I teased my wife "It's your fault! You got her killed!" Her response: "I wanted to get rid of her, not kill her!"
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Seasons 2 and 3 of Babylon Berlin - Not up to the level of season 1 but still enjoyed it enough to finish it and looking forward to season 4. It does feel though that the directors seem intent to put the two main characters through the wringer as much as possible, requiring some suspension of disbelief.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - season 1 - This is the 1984 series from the BBC. It took a little time get into it as the first few eps were not very polished, and at times, it felt like Sherlock did not do all that much. Eventually Sherlock starting being "Sherlock" and the show became more entertaining.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

We watched the first season of Father Brown on Amazon Prime with Britbox. I am not sure why we hadn't seen the first season before.

A parish priest in as small village in Gloucestershire plays detective to the dismay of the local police inspector. Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

This is a bit off-topic but it does relate to TV shows (and other streaming content.)

My wife is hard of hearing and wears hearing aids. Lately she's been asking me to turn on subtitles even on English language content that we're watching. This started with series from the UK especially when the actors have strong accents. More recently it's been on all content.

What I've noticed with Succession in particular is how much of the dialogue I've been missing. It moves so quickly and the word play is so clever that it's easy to miss some of it. This is quite apparent if I watch an episode first without subtitles then again with.

I wonder how many other people are missing out on some of the best parts of the show?
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:59 am This is a bit off-topic but it does relate to TV shows (and other streaming content.)

My wife is hard of hearing and wears hearing aids. Lately she's been asking me to turn on subtitles even on English language content that we're watching. This started with series from the UK especially when the actors have strong accents. More recently it's been on all content.

What I've noticed with Succession in particular is how much of the dialogue I've been missing. It moves so quickly and the word play is so clever that it's easy to miss some of it. This is quite apparent if I watch an episode first without subtitles then again with.

I wonder how many other people are missing out on some of the best parts of the show?
We routinely turn on the sub-titles for all movies and T.V.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:18 am
Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:59 am This is a bit off-topic but it does relate to TV shows (and other streaming content.)

We routinely turn on the sub-titles for all movies and T.V.
I much prefer to keep the sub-titles on, even for regular "American-English" language movies or TV shows, etc.
(DH prefers not to have the subtitles on, so we turn them off if the positioning becomes serious interference, which can happen with some shows where, say, a person being interviewed continues to be shown on the screen right under where the subtitles show up. That location can vary.)

I also prefer when there is a bit of a lag to the subtitles, which is common. Then, if I realize that I missed some key word/name/etc., I can quickly glance at the subtitles and usually "get it".

There are some ads that show the subtitles timed to coincide with the speaking, and in a few cases, it displays just a bit in advance. I find that really annoying, because by the time I realize that maybe I "didn't quite catch something" (e.g, "Did they REALLY just describe that particular side effect like that?" :shock: ) it's way too late to read it for myself.

I'm not sure how much of the "problem" is my hearing (definitely possible, but not a problem in regular life... yet), the quality of the sound from the TV, or perhaps characters not speaking quite clearly in the first place. And then there are times there is some other "sound" (on the screen or in real life), etc.
Yes, we've tried using a sound bar, and that was only slightly better. And then the connection to the sound bar broke... the part on the TV, itself, not the sound bar. :annoyed It's not a major problem, so we just keep the subtitles on, which I prefer anyway.

RM
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:46 am Yes, we've tried using a sound bar, and that was only slightly better. And then the connection to the sound bar broke... the part on the TV, itself, not the sound bar.
I’m not familiar with your system, but many sound bars can connect to the TV through various means: HDMI, optical, or Bluetooth. I prefer HDMI and eARC, as that solved the lip synch issue for me.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

DW & I know that we are missing a lot on the UK shows, but both of us loathe subtitles so we either back up when we know we have missed something important or simply press onward. We find subtitles distracting and are generally browsing computers etc anyway while we watch TV so we would miss a lot of the info on subtitles as well. The running joke between us is that "this show would have been much better if they spoke English."
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:58 pm We watched the first season of Father Brown on Amazon Prime with Britbox. I am not sure why we hadn't seen the first season before.

A parish priest in as small village in Gloucestershire plays detective to the dismay of the local police inspector. Recommended.
Yes, that is one of our favorite series, too.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:59 am My wife is hard of hearing and wears hearing aids. Lately she's been asking me to turn on subtitles even on English language content that we're watching. This started with series from the UK especially when the actors have strong accents. More recently it's been on all content.
I started realizing the benefit of subtitles on American shows while watching "Bosch". There was a story arc involving J. Edgar and I couldn't decipher his speech due to his mumbling. Since then, I've used subs on most shows except older ones that I've already seen and where I want to concentrate on watching facial expressions.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:46 amI'm not sure how much of the "problem" is my hearing (definitely possible, but not a problem in regular life... yet), the quality of the sound from the TV, or perhaps characters not speaking quite clearly in the first place. And then there are times there is some other "sound" (on the screen or in real life), etc.
If you're a senior, as we are, then it's part of the aging process. It's not if but rather by how much.
Yes, we've tried using a sound bar, and that was only slightly better. And then the connection to the sound bar broke... the part on the TV, itself, not the sound bar. :annoyed It's not a major problem, so we just keep the subtitles on, which I prefer anyway.
We've been using wireless headphones for the past few years. My wife's hearing deficit is such that even with hearing aids she needs the speaker volume too high for my comfort. We have his and hers headphones. Nevertheless I'm finding subtitles increasingly valuable. So even if I think I don't have a hearing decline, the evidence is telling me otherwise ;)

FWIW I use Sennheiser HD 350BT Bluetooth 5.0 Wireless Headphone. They're relatively inexpensive and well-rated. They also have AptX Low Latency support which, in conjunction with a compatible BT transmitter, fixes the lip-synch issues in non-Aptx models.