[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
topper1296

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by topper1296 »

heartwood wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:39 am
retiredjg wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:18 pm Enjoying Kim's Convenience on Netflix. Never would have known it existed if not recommended here.
+1 again based on a mention in this thread.
I'm also watching Kim's Convenience. Great show, however I'm not enjoying the 5th and final season as much as the first four seasons so far.

Also, Simu Lui that plays Jung is the lead actor in the upcoming Marvel movie “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,”
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

I Think You Should Leave Season 2 on Netflix.

Absurd, dark, sketch show with awkward moments and screaming. This type of show is either your cup of tea or it isn't. I loved the first season and this season has some stand-out segments but it felt a lot more uneven to me. It's also much shorter.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Finished season 3 of Goliath on Amazon Prime, which I had not had for a year but repurchased for inflight entertainment options. It was good, less horror and more legal than season 2. Season 4 is supposed to be coming out this year. It's supposed to be the final season.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

MoonOrb wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:13 pm

Gave up on:

Treme. I really want to like this. I like the writers, I like the actors. But I've tried twice and can't get further than about episode 3.

Ozark. Will probably return to this; I can't put my finger on it but it seemed like a lesser version of other shows that were so much better (Breaking Bad, The Americans)

Treme was one I watched years ago. Mixed feelings. Great actors and good characters, but at times I tired of the weird sort of snobbishness around New Orleans, at least to those characters. No real plot. But it was interesting enough that I stuck through it. Once you get vested in the characters it gets somewhat better.

I've really like Ozark. I liked the first season. Season 2 was a bit of a dropoff but season 3 picked up
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:41 am I love this thread! We have intelligent, observant, and discerning posters who disagree about some series: The Bureau, The Americans, Sons of Anarchy, Ozark, Bosch, etc. Darned if I can figure out who will like which. And, to repeat one of my favorite sayings, “that’s what makes horse races.”
LOL

I really liked Bosch and Ozark. Need to check out the others you mentioned. :beer
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

tooluser wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:09 pm Finished season 3 of Goliath on Amazon Prime, which I had not had for a year but repurchased for inflight entertainment options. It was good, less horror and more legal than season 2. Season 4 is supposed to be coming out this year. It's supposed to be the final season.
Looking forward to season 4. Bummed it's the final season though
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
black jack

Post by black jack »

I'm a little late to the party for "Ted Lasso," which I was just introduced to last week.

I love it. And I feel motivated to be a better person after watching it.

Season two will be released next week.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:54 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:41 am I love this thread! We have intelligent, observant, and discerning posters who disagree about some series: The Bureau, The Americans, Sons of Anarchy, Ozark, Bosch, etc. Darned if I can figure out who will like which. And, to repeat one of my favorite sayings, “that’s what makes horse races.”
LOL
I really liked Bosch and Ozark. Need to check out the others you mentioned. :beer
I would not race to watch some of them :D Sons of Anarchy started off okay, but IMO was garbage writing and acting after the first season. I think maybe my wife has a secret hankering for biker eye candy, as she kept us watching while I made fun of every time Jax said “I promise” (he might have the lowest rate of promises kept in the universe, but I guess he’s got a face that I don’t).

As Lady Geek has indicated, Bosch has a great opening sequence, especially on an OLED with a good sound system. Based on your username, you probably liked the music. To me, that was the end of its interest.

Here’s an outlier recommendation: The Sleepers. It’s a Czech series on HBO with subtitles. It’s sort of between The Americans and The Bureau but darker and brings the element of an exceptional female amateur against professionals to the plot. It stretches plausibility in a few coincidences (people showing up just as events occur) but it’s worth a shot. I’m not sure that my enjoyment isn’t affected by the recent COVID related drought in new releases overall, but once past the initial episode, it was all good (except for the occasional coincidence).
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:24 am As Lady Geek has indicated, Bosch has a great opening sequence, especially on an OLED with a good sound system
I always skip past that opening sequence. I think it really is well done but goes on too long. I do really like the show.

I am looking forward to the Bosch-as-a-private-eye follow-on series. I think the last episode of Bosch proper hints at Bosch not being able to get his license to run a detective agency (due to his screwing over the FBI) but his daughter getting licensed and hiring or somehow involving Bosch.

I will miss Crate and Barrell.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

bertilak wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:41 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:24 am As Lady Geek has indicated, Bosch has a great opening sequence, especially on an OLED with a good sound system
I always skip past that opening sequence. I think it really is well done but goes on too long. I do really like the show.
Has anyone figured out why some shows and episodes give you the option to skip recaps and/or opening sequences and others don’t? Sometimes even the same series will allow it sometimes but not other times.

Especially when you’re bingeing, you don’t need a recap or opening sequences.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:45 am Has anyone figured out why some shows and episodes give you the option to skip recaps and/or opening sequences and others don’t? Sometimes even the same series will allow it sometimes but not other times.
I have noticed this and think I know the answer but have not checked carefully to see if I am right: The first episode of a season makes you watch the opener. The rest of the episodes give you a break.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

bertilak wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:48 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:45 am Has anyone figured out why some shows and episodes give you the option to skip recaps and/or opening sequences and others don’t? Sometimes even the same series will allow it sometimes but not other times.
I have noticed this and think I know the answer but have not checked carefully to see if I am right: The first episode of a season makes you watch the opener. The rest of the episodes give you a break.
I agree generally, but there are anomalies (which I can’t think of at the moment). There are shows where I’ve been satisfied that I can skip, and then they’ll have a surprise a few episodes in. How lazy am I that I get miffed when I have to fast forward rather than click “skip?”

The other day our internet was down so no streaming. We watched PBS and I was disgruntled to have to watch the limited number of “brought to you by” plugs. It’s great to be spoiled. ❤️
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:01 am
bertilak wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:48 am
I agree generally, but there are anomalies (which I can’t think of at the moment). There are shows where I’ve been satisfied that I can skip, and then they’ll have a surprise a few episodes in. How lazy am I that I get miffed when I have to fast forward rather than click “skip?”

The other day our internet was down so no streaming. We watched PBS and I was disgruntled to have to watch the limited number of “brought to you by” plugs. It’s great to be spoiled. ❤️
Could be human error. The INTENTION might be, first episode not skippable, other episodes skippable, but I'm pretty sure this requires some human activity to set it up so maybe, being human, there is human error involved.

And yes, I feel your first-world pain and am also (happily) first-world spoiled. I deserve something for making it this far!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Just finished "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix, enjoyed it and was educated a little bit. Now I know what a Sicilian Defense is, and am playing against the computer on chess.com. I found I am also terrible at chess currently.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I wasn't sure whether to confess to this, but since we've started a Netflix subscription, I've been binge-watching The Originals. Before you do the eye-rolling ... I was quite surprised that I liked this as much as I did. I have never watched vampire tv series before, nor have I read Vampire Diaries.

It's very atmospheric, the production values are really high, the cast is good looking, and New Orleans just looks so beautiful and mysterious. I'd love to live there one day. My husband claims to think it's incredibly silly ... but he's watched just about every episode with me, voluntarily. :P It's entertaining TV and I highly recommend it.

We are 20 episodes in and looking forward to the rest of the ride.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:24 am I think maybe my wife has a secret hankering for biker eye candy
Heh. There are always shows like that. I watched the first few episodes of "Grantchester" with a female friend and the lead -- the vicar of a small English village -- looks straight out of an Abercombie ad. James Norton is the actor and he isn't bad, but the reaction shots where the camera lingers on his face had me noticing that his lips may be collagen-injected. Not something I really wanted to think about. But the vicar is kind man, progressive for the 1950's and the setting itself is stunning -- a lush green piece of heaven (no pun intended) just outside of Cambridge. The idyllic setting makes a great escape from the stress and noise of a modern-day city. Funny thing though, the actor was replaced in the last season because he was tapped to be the next James Bond.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Finished S3 "Startup" and look forward to another season... It would be a shame to end a series with that much plot line potential.

After S1, I thought it was as good as "Halt and Catch Fire"... I'm going to dial that back a bit, but this "Startup" has some of the strongest character development thats come along in a while. Talk about diversity!
On a side note, was happy to see Mira Savina get a great character role... She was one of the few who actually told Harvey W what a pig he was! Good on her.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Finished "Shrill" Season 3 streaming on Hulu. Okay acting and high quality set design as usual. However I thought it was the weakest season so far, just seemed to have a lot of injected politics that didn't really have a lot to do with the plot. Things also seemed to accelerate towards the end of the season to the point where I was wondering if this is the last one, still not sure about that. I found I disliked the main characters more and more, which I'm not sure is what they were going for or not.
Last edited by Elsebet on Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
xb7

Post by xb7 »

This is a very long thread, so apologies if any of the below is a repeat. Just started watching shows on the Peacock network, and these two are enjoyable --- for me at least:

"Resident Alien". Sci Fi comedy/drama. My wife didn't care for it, but I enjoyed it a great deal, hoping there will be a second season. Think of it like of a humorous mash-up of X-Files and Northern Exposure.

"Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist". The world periodically turns into a sort of musical number for a young woman --- hard to describe, but both my wife and I enjoy this.

I think the tough part about recommending TV shows is that tastes vary a lot. Friends recently recommended a French show on Netflix, "Call My Agent". I think my wife is enjoying it, but I bailed part way through the first episode. I, OTOH, watch a variety of Chinese shows that others have no interest in --- I just find China to be fascinating, and watching their TV content on Netflix (mostly) is interesting even apart from whatever is good or bad about the content.

We just started watching "The Umbrella Academy", I think on Netflix (?). The first episode is somewhat of a whirlwind, but compelling enough that we'll try a second episode (which in my case at least, is already a somewhat high bar to hurdle).
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

MP173 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:46 pm Just finished "Broadchurch" the British 3 year series...excellent. Sad to see it go. "Millah!" The Scottish accent of Hardy was a bit difficult to translate, especially when he got excited, but what a show...all three years.
Many thanks for noting this show. We are now in the middle of Season 2 and enjoying the show very, very much.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Cruise wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:26 pm
MP173 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:46 pm Just finished "Broadchurch" the British 3 year series...excellent. Sad to see it go. "Millah!" The Scottish accent of Hardy was a bit difficult to translate, especially when he got excited, but what a show...all three years.
Many thanks for noting this show. We are now in the middle of Season 2 and enjoying the show very, very much.
I've had "Broadchurch" on my radar for awhile and plan to watch soon. I found that English subtitles make British shows not only tolerable but of high interest. When I run out of American shows, I may do a Brit binge.

I am now halfway through "Bosch" S7 and am enjoying it as expected.

Right after finishing "The Americans", the best show I've ever experienced, I was eager to find recommendations from other viewers. One show that was mentioned on various forums was "Killing Eve", which turned out to be a laughable comparison. I mean, seriously. But I enjoyed this "B-Movie" show anyway. Weak, uneven plot, but the lead character - a female, psychopathic assassin with a sense of the outrageous -- results in a lot of funny moments, despite the series being a drama. Show requires a total suspension of disbelief and the ability to withstand some boredom while the plot flails around a bit. Great European scenery though. Show is not everyone's cup of tea and the target demo skews younger than the average Boglehead age, I'd venture to guess.
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

topper1296 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:49 pm
heartwood wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:39 am
retiredjg wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:18 pm Enjoying Kim's Convenience on Netflix. Never would have known it existed if not recommended here.
+1 again based on a mention in this thread.
I'm also watching Kim's Convenience. Great show, however I'm not enjoying the 5th and final season as much as the first four seasons so far.

Also, Simu Lui that plays Jung is the lead actor in the upcoming Marvel movie “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,”

I felt exactly the same way. I read they changed writers after S4.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

1. Travels By Narrowboat by Kevin Shelley
  2. Cruising the Cut by David Johns
  3. Britain by Narrowboat by Colin Dobson-Fox with partner Shawn.
All three of these are video blogs documenting people piloting narrowboats along Britain's 2000+ miles of canals. The first two each have a single boater. The last one has a pair. They are hard to describe without making them sound boring but I find them fascinating, at least the first two with single boaters. The third one somehow grates. The presentation is a bit self-consciously theatrical, aka "hammy." Perhaps it is trying too hard to be entertaining as opposed to simply showing and telling of the journeys, the boats, and the canals.

The first two I could rewatch. They are interesting, informative, and relaxing. This is "life in the slow lane."

You learn a lot about
  1. the life and community of narrowboaters and other canal folk and
  2. the ongoing history of the canals, which are several hundred years old and under continuous and ongoing upkeep by the CRT (Canal and River Trust).
Last edited by bertilak on Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

bertilak wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:09 am
  1. Travels By Narrowboat by Kevin Shelley
  2. Cruising the Cut by David Johns
  3. Britain by Narrowboat by Colin Dobson-Fox with partner Shawn.
All three of these are video blogs documenting people piloting narrowboats along Britain's 2000+ miles of canals. The first two each have a single boater. The last one has a pair. They are hard to describe without making them sound boring but I find them fascinating, at least the first two with single boaters. The third one somehow grates. The presentation is a bit self-consciously theatrical, aka "hammy." Perhaps it is trying too hard to be entertaining as opposed to simply showing and telling of the journeys, the boats, and the canals.

The first two I could rewatch. They are interesting, informative, and relaxing. This is "life in the slow lane."

You learn a lot about
  1. the life and community of longboaters and other canal folk and
  2. the ongoing history of the canals, which are several hundred years old and under continuous and ongoing upkeep by the CRT (Canal and River Trust).
Just a note for others, I found season 1-6 of Travels by Narrowboat is available to stream for Amazon Prime customers: https://www.amazon.com/Travels-by-Narro ... B07NXQG5HB

Cruising the Cut is on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6SNxi ... 0yjndE9o_A

Britain by Narrowboat is also on Prime: https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... c_unkc_1_1
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Elsebet wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:14 pm
Just a note for others, I found season 1-6 of Travels by Narrowboat is available to stream for Amazon Prime customers: https://www.amazon.com/Travels-by-Narro ... B07NXQG5HB

Cruising the Cut is on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6SNxi ... 0yjndE9o_A

Britain by Narrowboat is also on Prime: https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... c_unkc_1_1
Elsbet,

Thanks for mentioning that -- I forgot!

Cruising the Cut can also be found on Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-the-Cut/dp/B07YSX9G2W

I watched them all on Amazon Prime. I think there are other narrowboat shows on Prime as well but I haven't really looked (yet).

P.S. I corrected my post above. It's narrowboat not longboat, although they really are loooong as well as narrow.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I finally watched the first episode (really a two-parter) of The Six Million Dollar Man on fetv. I was a little too young to stay up that late when it first aired, but I saw many of the later episodes, and The Bionic Woman. Now I know how it all started.

The introductory music/soundtrack still piques my interest. Well done!
The drama was amazingly slow and simple by today's TV standards.
Unlike later in the series, no sound effects accompany Steve Austin's use of his bionics.
His bionic eye is just an eye, not used for anything special!
(And apparently in the novel the show was based on, it was just a camera, he couldn't even see out of it.)
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:27 pm
Elsebet wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:14 pm

Elsbet,

Thanks for mentioning that -- I forgot!

Cruising the Cut can also be found on Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-the-Cut/dp/B07YSX9G2W

I watched them all on Amazon Prime. I think there are other narrowboat shows on Prime as well but I haven't really looked (yet).

P.S. I corrected my post above. It's narrowboat not longboat, although they really are loooong as well as narrow.
Thanks for the idea, we just started watching Cruising the Cut on Amazon Prime and are surprised to find it interesting.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Homeland on Hulu from Showtime. Really enjoying.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeland_(TV_series)

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

[Posts moved into here from What Movie Have You Recently Watched? --admin LadyGeek]

I watched 20 seasons of Midsomer Murders.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Just finished the 2 seasons of Sense8 on Netflix. A Sci fi series where 8 people scattered across the globe find they have the ability of shared consciousness. Most of the series surrounds them dealing with people who think the are a threat.

There were several things I didn't like, at times ridiculously and pointlessly sexually explicit (a long orgy like scene near the end), at other times a bit corny, kind of an underlying social agenda, and some things that were ridiculously implausible. But in spite of all that I found the show engaging and stuck with it.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:24 am Here’s an outlier recommendation: The Sleepers. It’s a Czech series on HBO with subtitles. It’s sort of between The Americans and The Bureau but darker and brings the element of an exceptional female amateur against professionals to the plot. It stretches plausibility in a few coincidences (people showing up just as events occur) but it’s worth a shot. I’m not sure that my enjoyment isn’t affected by the recent COVID related drought in new releases overall, but once past the initial episode, it was all good (except for the occasional coincidence).
I'm two episodes into this show ("The Sleepers"). I really want to like it, but so far, I don't find any of the characters engaging. It did take me awhile though to figure out what was going on. Maybe now that I've gotten the characters sorted out (somewhat) it will grow on me. Regardless, it's just a miniseries so I'll watch to the end.

Started and finished "The Bletchley Circle". Per IMDb, "In 1952, four women who worked at the wartime code-breaking centre, Bletchley Park, reunite to track down a serial killer." The premise is interesting but the storyline is very superficial. No character development; no depth. I did like the main character though. She is a cerebral young woman who quietly accepts the dismissal by the police for her serial killer theories and plods on using math to find patterns in the killings. That makes her a unique character in my book. The main reason I selected this title is because I'm interested in all things Bletchley. I would not recommend it for the average viewer because there are a lot of good character-driven series out there, so why waste time with something superficial.
Blues

Post by Blues »

roamingzebra wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:49 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:24 am Here’s an outlier recommendation: The Sleepers. It’s a Czech series on HBO with subtitles. It’s sort of between The Americans and The Bureau but darker and brings the element of an exceptional female amateur against professionals to the plot. It stretches plausibility in a few coincidences (people showing up just as events occur) but it’s worth a shot. I’m not sure that my enjoyment isn’t affected by the recent COVID related drought in new releases overall, but once past the initial episode, it was all good (except for the occasional coincidence).
I'm two episodes into this show ("The Sleepers"). I really want to like it, but so far, I don't find any of the characters engaging. It did take me awhile though to figure out what was going on. Maybe now that I've gotten the characters sorted out (somewhat) it will grow on me. Regardless, it's just a miniseries so I'll watch to the end.
We started watching it last night. Atmospheric, and interesting...but I had to fight the urge to nod off. If we do see it through, it'll be because I take my friend TomatoTomahto's recommendations to heart, as a rule.
ruralavalon

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon »

livelovelaugh00 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:17 pm I watched 20 seasons of Midsomer Murders.
We just started season 21 of Midsomer Murders on Britbox with Amazon Prime. Recommended.

This is TV show, each episode is movie length.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:11 am
livelovelaugh00 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:17 pm I watched 20 seasons of Midsomer Murders.
We just started season 21 of Midsomer Murders on Britbox with Amazon Prime. Recommended.
You need to go to Acorn (instead of Britbox) to get ALL seasons. They go back to season 1 in 1997. I like the older ones when Brian True-May was the producer. Thee were some excellent writers back then as well, for example Anthony Horowitz who created Foyle's War and dramatized many of the Poirot episodes.

They have mostly managed to maintain the excellence through the latest episodes but the early stuff set some pretty high standards.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Blues wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:14 am We started watching it last night. Atmospheric, and interesting...but I had to fight the urge to nod off. If we do see it through, it'll be because I take my friend TomatoTomahto's recommendations to heart, as a rule.
Thanks! I wondered why I liked it as much as I did, maybe it was due to scarcity of good shows lately. It has a bit of a John le Carré vibe: it gave me the same sense of “spies seem to speak and understand allusions that I can barely follow.” No hard feelings if you give up :D it’s not The Bureau.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:35 am
ruralavalon wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:11 am
You need to go to Acorn (instead of Britbox) to get ALL seasons. They go back to season 1 in 1997. I like the older ones when Brian True-May was the producer. Thee were some excellent writers back then as well, for example Anthony Horowitz who created Foyle's War and dramatized many of the Poirot episodes.

They have mostly managed to maintain the excellence through the latest episodes but the early stuff set some pretty high standards.
I agree the earlier seasons of Midsomer Murders were excellent, I can't compare yet to season 21 since we just started. We watched the earlier seasons when they were free on Netflix.
Blues

Post by Blues »

:sharebeer
gotlost33

Post by gotlost33 »

Recently ran through Mare of Easttown, really well done with a little extra interest given time spent in the Philadelphia area - not one that is going to lift your mood for sure.

We had watched the Bosch pilot on Amazon years ago before it got picked up for full seasons, after liking the lead in his role on Deadwood. Went back to it now that there are a bunch of seasons available, liked it but it didn't really draw us in after 5-6 episodes so we moved on. Might have to come back to it again since it seems to be rated highly in so many places.

Jumped into Twin Peaks (original 90's run so far) and enjoying it. Sometimes I can't quite keep up with some of Lynch's work (not sure he always has a full plan either) but Twin Peaks is a nice balance of his quirkiness with some pretty solid grounding. It's always interesting watching movies/TV from the early 90's and just being reminded how much things have/haven't changed
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Blues wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:14 am
roamingzebra wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:49 am
We started watching it last night. Atmospheric, and interesting...but I had to fight the urge to nod off. If we do see it through, it'll be because I take my friend TomatoTomahto's recommendations to heart, as a rule.
I refrained from mentioning the urge to sleep part, but that happened to me too. There were some v.e.r.y s.l.o.w parts. I remember a car pulling up to the curb very s.l.o.w.l.y, then the next thing I know my head jerks up and I realize I nodded off. I tend to like slow scenes when the camera is focusing on a character's face and revealing emotion. But when the camera is focusing on mundane things like a car pulling up, that takes discipline to stay awake, especially when one is tired and watching a show in a dark room.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

fabdog

Post by fabdog »

bertilak wrote: ↑Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:35 am

ruralavalon wrote: ↑Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:11 am

livelovelaugh00 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:17 pm
I watched 20 seasons of Midsomer Murders.

I agree the earlier seasons of Midsomer Murders were excellent, I can't compare yet to season 21 since we just started. We watched the earlier seasons when they were free on Netflix.
Just a quick reminder... this is the movie thread... not the what TV show have you watched recently thread

Mike
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I got it. I moved livelovelaugh00's post and the responses into the "What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?" thread (this one).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
BigW

Post by BigW »

A friend suggested the British show "Line Of Duty" (streaming Seasons 1-4 on Amazon Prime) and he was right! Very intelligently written series about the anti-corruption squad of the Metropolitan Police. Very highly recommended.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Dr. Death. Stars Joshua Jackson, Alec Baldwin and Christian Slater. Based on a true story of a spinal surgeon that has a lot of negative outcomes yet seems to slip through the cracks. I thought it was interesting. They never really got into why he did it (it seems pretty clear it was intentional and not incompetence).
Blues

Post by Blues »

BigW wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:50 am A friend suggested the British show "Line Of Duty" (streaming Seasons 1-4 on Amazon Prime) and he was right! Very intelligently written series about the anti-corruption squad of the Metropolitan Police. Very highly recommended.
It's a good show but there are many inconsistencies in both the stories, and actions of the characters. I have personal experience in this realm stateside,...my experience working with the Brits was as a colleague, and not investigating them.

That said, we enjoyed it and finished it, but sometimes it strains credulity.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Blues wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:06 am
BigW wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:50 am A friend suggested the British show "Line Of Duty" (streaming Seasons 1-4 on Amazon Prime) and he was right! Very intelligently written series about the anti-corruption squad of the Metropolitan Police. Very highly recommended.
It's a good show but there are many inconsistencies in both the stories, and actions of the characters. I have personal experience in this realm stateside,...my experience working with the Brits was as a colleague, and not investigating them.

That said, we enjoyed it and finished it, but sometimes it strains credulity.
We watched until we no longer could. 3 or 4 seasons I think. A lot of it jibed with my experiences of Brits in the workplace, although my experience was in banking software. The writing became sloppier and sloppier; IRL coincidences do happen, but not every 5 minutes. And the country is a big place; not everyone is related to everyone else. And, really, even I know enough to have someone placed at the back escape before I crash through the front door. Towards the end, jumping to conclusions was their form of aerobics; people were remanded/arrested on the flimsiest circumstantial evidence only to be released a day later.

Having reread what I wrote, it sounds like I disliked the show, but I did enjoy the first few series. Maybe I’m just bummed because I was so looking forward to Kelly Macdonald and it was a disappointment.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Heist on Netflix. From IMDB: Watch ordinary people almost get away with these extraordinary heists in this true crime series.

Very interesting and well done.

It has interviews with actual participants and/or contemporary footage mixed with re-enactments. For example, in the first episode the commentary is from interviews with one of the actual participants but, in order to hide her identity, her interviews are re-recorded by an actress, redoing the actual recorded and/or transcribed interviews.

In one episode one perpetrator (who avoided capture for years) said he learned his "trade" by watching TV shows like Unsolved Mysteries, America's Most Wanted, and other similar shows. He saw what was done wrong that led to capture. He gave his crew only 45 seconds to drive up, grab as many bags of cash as they could and drive off. Anything they couldn't get in 45 seconds was left behind. They then quickly moved it all to a different vehicle and burned the original vehicle.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Unforgotten. A team of UK detectives solves decades-old murders. Excellent acting and great chemistry between several of the actors. It's in a 4th season. Available on amazon or pbs. Really good show.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Blues wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:03 pm For me, coming from my background in LE, the standout shows are:

U.S.: "The Wire"

British: "Prime Suspect"

Any of you fans of police procedurals and intelligent police drama, owe it to yourself to see them. Helen Mirren is brilliant in "Prime Suspect" and I do not make that claim lightly.
Just finished watching "Prime Suspect" (1991). I agree it's an excellent choice. Kept my attention from start to finish.

"Broadchurch" and "Mindhunter" - Am a couple of episodes into both series. They're a bit slow to start but I believe they will pick up soon. Gotta love the scenery in these Brit shows -- "Broadchurch", "The Crown", "Grantchester", etc.
Blues

Post by Blues »

roamingzebra wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:54 am
Blues wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:03 pm For me, coming from my background in LE, the standout shows are:

U.S.: "The Wire"

British: "Prime Suspect"

Any of you fans of police procedurals and intelligent police drama, owe it to yourself to see them. Helen Mirren is brilliant in "Prime Suspect" and I do not make that claim lightly.
Just finished watching "Prime Suspect" (1991). I agree it's an excellent choice. Kept my attention from start to finish.

"Broadchurch" and "Mindhunter" - Am a couple of episodes into both series. They're a bit slow to start but I believe they will pick up soon. Gotta love the scenery in these Brit shows -- "Broadchurch", "The Crown", "Grantchester", etc.
Glad you enjoyed "Prime Suspect".