[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Doom&Gloom

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Doom&Gloom »

davebo wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:20 pm Any recommendations for a series that I can watch with my wife? She is really picky and generally dislikes shows that are too dark, too much swearing, etc. I personally liked Ozark, Billions, Peaky Blinders, Sopranos, etc but that was too much for her.

Makes it VERY hard to pick a show to watch together!
Give New Tricks a watch. It was mentioned in several posts a few months back in this thread.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:01 pm Those old TV music themes in all the posts above are fantastic. Perhaps my favorite, though, is Johnny Rivers' "Secret Agent Man."
Secret Agent Man! Good stuff. I’d forgotten that was a theme song. And how could I forget Route 66? One of the best!
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

davebo wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:20 pm Any recommendations for a series that I can watch with my wife? She is really picky and generally dislikes shows that are too dark, too much swearing, etc. I personally liked Ozark, Billions, Peaky Blinders, Sopranos, etc but that was too much for her.

"The Crown" is a well-done account of the last 70 years of world and British history with a focus on Queen Elizabeth II. It documents her painful lessons in learning how to lead, navigate domestic politics and fulfill her duties on the international stage -- all the while attempting to rein in her wayward family members. Lest you think all the actors will be unfamiliar, John Lithgow plays Winston Churchill and Gillian Anderson plays Margaret Thatcher. Matt Smith and Tobias Menzes, two actors I had not been familiar with, play Prince Philip brilliantly. Their running satirical banter and commentary on any and everything is a fun contrast to Elizabeth's more earnest and taciturn personality. The acting of the entire cast is excellent, the storylines fascinating even though they are based on fact (its called "fictionalized history"). It's an easy way to get some educational value along with entertainment.

"Broadchurch" is a well-done mystery set on a British seacoast with a good set of actors.

"Grantchester" takes place in a beautiful village setting outside Cambridge in the 1950s featuring a very likeable vicar who will probably be considered eye candy by your wife. The plots are not great, but the entire feel is gentle, idyllic and peaceful. I personally find it boring, but it would be the first show I'd want to watch if there was ever a catastophe like nuclear war. ;) I mean, it's that idyllic.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Gentleman Jack on HBO. Based on the true story and massive diaries of Anne Lister, a well-off lesbian in 1830s Yorkshire. Suranne Jones plays the main character. One season so far. Liked it a lot.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

AGT - America Got Talent. Great show. I am hooked.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
Pixafari

Post by Pixafari »

Heartland on Netflix - positive family show based on a horse ranch in Alberta, Canada. My wife loves it and I have enjoyed as well. It’s in its 15th season this year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartland ... TV_series)
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:25 am
hoops777 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:18 pm
IowaFarmWife wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:41 pm We've been watching Virgin River on Netflix, and so far we are enjoying it.
We started this a few nights ago.
It is a decent show. Not going to win an Emmy for best drama, but good for what it is.

However, there is one character, Hope, who is the most annoying character I have ever encountered in watching thousands upon thousands hours of tv.
She is either a terrible actor, or for some reason the powers to be want her to be the most annoying character in the history of tv.
She has a long resume so I doubt she is a terrible actor.
Fingers on the chalkboard bad.
Me having to post on bogleheads bad :D
"Most annoying" may be hyperbole. But I can't think of a worse character, very annoying is certainly true.

Still we enjoyed the first two seasons, but not the third.
We just finished the third season, my wife enjoyed it.

I thought they had too many sub-plots going at the same time. Everyone is either very sick, or having a bad relationship problem, or both.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

When I first read your question, I automatically filtered out "The Americans" because of the sex and violence. But now I realize you never specified no sex or violence, so I'll see if there might be a fit here.

"The Americans" focuses a lot on family. The young couple who look like typical suburban Americans are actually deep-cover spies, and their children think they run a travel agency. Sex and violence is a normal part of the couple's tradecraft. Yet they are normal parents at home and their children are incredibly wholesome. Some of the storylines involving the kids are both humorous and suspenseful and add complexity to their parents' mission. The marriage itself is part of the job and the two spouses have to decide how they feel about each other as a couple and work out the growing tensions over what they do for a living and how they feel about their own country (Soviet Union) vs America.

There is plenty of both sex and violence and some of the violence is pretty brutal. But it isn't gratuitous and one can just wince or cover the eyes.

A bonus is the humor that comes from the time period of the show. The creators didn't stop at stereotypical 80's stuff, they brought in some real obscure stuff that was actually a thing back then. I'd be a little more explicit but that might be too spoilish.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

rixer wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:54 pm We've been watching "Clickbait" on Netflix. It's a very good limited series about a man who is going to be murdered when they recieve 5 million views on social media. It's much better than it sounds. There's 8 episodes. I like these limited series as they bring the story to an end instead ofdragging the story on and on until you get sick of it.
+1. I didn't have high expectations but it actually was very engaging. Fast paced, lots of twists and turns in an unusual whodunit type of show.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Try Death in Paradise, a series of police detective stories set in the Carribbean.

Or Midsommer Murders, murder mysteries set in small English villages.

Or Father Brown, an English village priest who solves mysteries.

None are dark or profane and are available on Amazon Prime and Britbox.

Try Call the Midwife, on Netflix. Midwives (nurses and nuns) help families and children in the 1950s in London's East End.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:44 am

Try Death in Paradise, a series of police detective stories set in the Carribbean.

None are dark or profane.
Three of our favorites although Midsomer Murders, and to a much lesser extent, Death in Paradise, pride themselves on the bizarre and creative ways the victims driving the plot get killed. See https://screenrant.com/midsomer-murders ... -the-show/ for ten of the most "outrageous."
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Try Call the Midwife, on Netflix. Midwives (nurses and nuns) help families and children in the 1950s in London's East End.

Confused! “None are dark or profane”? But two have death or murder in the title!????? And Mysteries tend to be about abductions and probable murders!

:shock: Just saying.
ScoobyDoo!
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:02 am Confused! “None are dark or profane”? But two have death or murder in the title!????? And Mysteries tend to be about abductions and probable murders!
These are very light-hearted murders! :-D
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

bertilak wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:22 am
ScoobyDoo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:02 am Confused! “None are dark or profane”? But two have death or murder in the title!????? And Mysteries tend to be about abductions and probable murders!
Good one.

That reminded me that "Killing Eve" is a light-hearted series about an assassin. I wouldn't recommend it (too many flaws), but the Villanelle character was pretty funny. She also spoke (butchered?) multiple languages -- good for the linguists on the thread. I realize now that the show could be considered a "guilty pleasure". It's something you would watch but not tell anyone you are watching haha.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

roamingzebra wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:21 am
Good one.

That reminded me that "Killing Eve" is a light-hearted series about an assassin. I wouldn't recommend it (too many flaws), but the Villanelle character was pretty funny. She also spoke (butchered?) multiple languages -- good for the linguists on the thread. I realize now that the show could be considered a "guilty pleasure". It's something you would watch but not tell anyone you are watching haha.
I thought that the first season of Killing Eve was fantastic (especially the opening scene at the ice cream shop), but then, you have to have a certain type of background to appreciate the characters. :)
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:02 am

Confused! “None are dark or profane”? But two have death or murder in the title!????? And Mysteries tend to be about abductions and probable murders!

Some mysteries are not about murder or abduction. The murder is often not depicted at all, there is no Hollywood-style blood and gore. The crimes are serious, but all of those shows are lighthearted with elements of comedy in the personal lives of the detectives and in the interactions among the detectives and supporting characters.I

Both my wife and I enjoyed them.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Cruise wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:20 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:21 am
Good one.

I thought that the first season of Killing Eve was fantastic (especially the opening scene at the ice cream shop), but then, you have to have a certain type of background to appreciate the characters. :)
Yeah, that was a good scene. It showed right away that this would be a different show.

I'm finding that variations among seasons is one of the reasons it's hard to rate some of these shows. "Killing Eve" is a dramatic example because Seasons 1, 2 and 3 were all completely different with most of the fun craziness in S1 as I recall. Season 3 was waaay different and dark. How would you overall rate a show like that?

"Broadchurch" is another show that had stark seasonal variations. It would be easy to give it a Very Good rating based on S1, but the other two seasons were different, esp. S3, and you have to factor that in, whether you liked the other two seasons or not.

And last but not least, I was pretty mad at the end of S1 of "Line of Duty" and at the time, did a poor job of explaining why since I didn't want to be too spoilerish. I finally figured out a way to express it: The writers didn't provide enough foundation to explain why the investigators were so aggressively investigating their target (Lennie Jame's character). That started the viewers (or at least this viewer) off on the wrong foot. I instantly disliked the investigators and wasn't sure I wanted to watch them for five more seaons. How do you factor in an extreme negative reaction to one season when the other seasons range from Good to Very Good to Excellent?

I haven't dug too far down into the credits of these and other shows, but it seems at least some shows have different "show runners" and/or writers for each season.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

JBTX wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:35 pm Just finished the 2 seasons of Sense8 on Netflix. A Sci fi series where 8 people scattered across the globe find they have the ability of shared consciousness. Most of the series surrounds them dealing with people who think the are a threat.

There were several things I didn't like, at times ridiculously and pointlessly sexually explicit (a long orgy like scene near the end), at other times a bit corny, kind of an underlying social agenda, and some things that were ridiculously implausible. But in spite of all that I found the show engaging and stuck with it.
Season 1 of Sense8 was terrific! Original idea with initially disjoint stories tying together after a few episodes.

I couldn't wait for Season 2! Which was a huge disappointment. No wonder the show was cancelled. [Sigh]
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

On Netflix:
My daughters and I loved "Gilmore Girls", which centers on 3 generations of Gilmore girls -- grandmother Emily, mother Lorelai, and daughter Rory. The mother Lorelai got pregnant at 16, left home, and raised the daughter Rory on her own. 16 years later, the grandmother, played by Kelly Bishop [of the Broadway Chorus Line fame], re-enters their lives. The grandmother and mother never got along [and still don't]. And even though the mother and daughter are best friends, there's still plenty of conflict with the teenage and college years. Throw in some romances and a "bad boy", and there's no end to the plot lines. Plus you'll get to see Melissa McCarthy before she became a movie comedy star. Milo Ventimiglia, Jared Padalecki, and Matt Czuchry also got their start on this show. The theme song is sung by Carole King and she actually gets a speaking part after a few seasons.

The dialogue, especially between the mother and daughter, is fast and snappy [a la "His Girl Friday" with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell]. The writers sometimes borrow an Aaron Sorkin trick of repeating the same words with different inflections for different meanings. And the dialogue in every episode is filled with literary and cinematic references. I had to explain half of them to my kids, who are millennials. [But they enjoyed the show even when the literary references went over their heads.]

Sometimes the best scenes are the 1-2 min vignettes at the start of the show, typically between Lorelai and Rory.

I like some of the shows with violence. [I second the recommendations for Peaky Blinders, Breaking Bad, Ozark, Billions, and Sopranos.] But Gilmore Girls appeals to me too. In many ways the writing is as good as "Seinfeld".
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

Some other good shows without violence are "Longmire", "Friday Night Lights", "Downton Abbey". All on Netflix.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

+1000 to the old BBC series Miss Marple (Joan Hickson) and Poirot (David Suchet). Another personal favorite is Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett). Prime Suspect (Helen Mirren) is a grittier police detective series but also excellent.

Just started watching Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. I hope it will live up to the hype. It’s good to see Martin Short and Steve Martin back on the screen with Selena Gomez rounding out their investigative trio.

Next up is HBO Max’s Mare of Easton (Kate Winslet) as a small town police investigator of a murder. Recommended to me by several friends.

A new season of BBC’s The Great British Baking Show drops on Netflix on Sept. 24. Hopefully the new-to-last-season co-host (Matt Fielding) grows on me as he is not as engaging as Sandra Birgitte.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

doobiedoo wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:36 am On Netflix:
My daughters and I loved "Gilmore Girls", which centers on 3 generations of Gilmore girls -- grandmother Emily, mother Lorelai, and daughter Rory. [... ] Plus you'll get to see Melissa McCarthy before she became a movie comedy star. Milo Ventimiglia, Jared Padalecki, and Matt Czuchry also got their start on this show.
Matt Czuchry -- hadn't thought of him for awhile. I enjoyed him a lot as part of a great cast in "The Good Wife".

I finished "Bodyguard" last night. It's a decent enough mini-series, but the second half morphed into a Hollywood action flick, reminding me of the gimmicky plots seen on the networks during Sweeps week.

The main characters were good though. Richard Madden did a good job as both the stone-faced, observant bodyguard as well as the troubled man caught in a dangerous game of political intrigue and violence. Keeley Hawes as Home Secretary was also good but there wasn't enough of her. It's an easy show to watch but is nothing special.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Grantchester - Season 5 (Prime) - a bit of a drop in quality I thought from the previous 4 seasons, as though there was a new show-runner/director. It did improve over the last few episodes. Season 6 starts Oct 3rd on PBS, and will run for 8 consecutive Sunday nights.

Lupin (Netflix) - Currently on season 2. Really enjoying this - just a fun show to watch, wondering how Assane will pull off his next exploit or escape yet another trap. Note that it's a French production, in French, so subtitles might be necessary.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I tried watching White Lotus on HBO. Got about half way through first episode. Gave up because it seemed unappealing and uninteresting. Anybody see it through? Does it get better.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

We just watched the sixth season of Miss Marple, on Amazon Prime with Britbox.

This is the 2014 season, 3 episodes, starring Julie McKenzie. Recommended.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

The "Untold" series on Netflix is a series of excellent sports related documentaries. Highly recommend.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

JBTX wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:37 pm I tried watching White Lotus on HBO. Got about half way through first episode. Gave up because it seemed unappealing and uninteresting. Anybody see it through? Does it get better.
IMO, it does get better. We watched it to the end. There are some disappointing character developments, one of which was somewhat ambiguous, but all in all, the class distinctions are well observed even if often exaggerated for comic effect.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JBTX wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:37 pm I tried watching White Lotus on HBO. Got about half way through first episode. Gave up because it seemed unappealing and uninteresting. Anybody see it through? Does it get better.
Another show where we couldn't get through the first episode.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

HomeStretch wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:02 am

Just started watching Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. I hope it will live up to the hype. It’s good to see Martin Short and Steve Martin back on the screen with Selena Gomez rounding out their investigative trio.

We watched the first episode last night. Only a half hour and I like Martin and Short. Not familiar with Gomez. Some amusing repartee, but didn't go far in a half hour. Crime solving in a Manhattan apt bldg that works in pod casts and old show business.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I finished all the seasons of Mr. Robot on Amazon Prime recently. Overall I'm glad I watched it but honestly at the beginning of season 2 I became a bit disinterested and it was difficult to get through the rest of the season after that.

Pros:
- They actually show real working linux commands (ssh, python, etc) - I'm in IT and liked this detail
- There are some cool scenes with good writing (many in Season 1 near the end and in Season 4, the drunk Santa scene)
- The characters started off really strong in Season 1 (Tyrell especially)

Cons:
- Lots of long, often dreamy/weird and sometimes political character speeches
- To me it is overly metaphysical/artsy, maybe I am dumb but I just didn't get a lot of what they were going for - I often don't get artsy type shows though
- The characters seem to go all over the map after season 1, it's too bad because I was really into them until then

The ratings for this show are really high so I am not sure why I didn't enjoy it more. I may watch it again in a few years to see if I can figure it out next time.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

Recently semi-binged/caught up on two shows:

"Yellowstone" - wholly unrealistic, but very enjoyable. Good acting and spectacular "B roll" scenery shots of Montana.

"Fleabag" - I kept putting this off because I didn't think I would like it, but holy hell it's absolutely hilarious. One of the funniest shows I've seen in years and years. Really wish they'd make more than two 6-episode seasons.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Watched another episode of Billions last night.

Is is just us, or is there something missing about the show this season (or the most recent episode, anyway; the new season is just barely starting again)?

It was a bit difficult to follow, and it seems like less story/character development, and lots of emphasis on "getting even", doing/plotting nasty deeds, etc. More than usual, I mean... :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

MAKsdad wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:32 pm "Fleabag" - I kept putting this off because I didn't think I would like it, but holy hell it's absolutely hilarious. One of the funniest shows I've seen in years and years. Really wish they'd make more than two 6-episode seasons.
Phoebe Waller-Bridge is very busy, so I’d be surprised if she does another season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebe_Waller-Bridge

That woman has the Midas touch. Very impressive.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:02 pm
MAKsdad wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:32 pm "Fleabag" - I kept putting this off because I didn't think I would like it, but holy hell it's absolutely hilarious. One of the funniest shows I've seen in years and years. Really wish they'd make more than two 6-episode seasons.
Phoebe Waller-Bridge is very busy, so I’d be surprised if she does another season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebe_Waller-Bridge

Yeah, I've read that there will not be a third season.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Someone mentioned "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" upthread. I thought that was from Phoebe Waller-Bridge as well. It turns out it's from Amy Sherman-Palladino. Close haha.

At any rate, it sounds like a show that would qualify under the not-dark, not profane category. But I haven't seen it so don't know for sure.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Another one of countless shows where we didn't get through the first episode. Maybe we should give it another shot?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:51 pm

Another one of countless shows where we didn't get through the first episode. Maybe we should give it another shot?
I am often wrong, but I don’t think I will be in saying that this is a show that repays hanging in a bit longer.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

heartwood wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:24 am
HomeStretch wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:02 am

We watched the first episode last night. Only a half hour and I like Martin and Short. Not familiar with Gomez. Some amusing repartee, but didn't go far in a half hour. Crime solving in a Manhattan apt bldg that works in pod casts and old show business.
This is what we're currently binging. Not generally my cup of tea, but if anybody can do something like this and make it entertaining for me it's Steve Martin and Martin Short.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:47 am
IMO, it does get better. We watched it to the end. There are some disappointing character developments, one of which was somewhat ambiguous, but all in all, the class distinctions are well observed even if often exaggerated for comic effect.
So funny. We had the same reaction, turning it off midway through the first episode. After seeing some favorable reviews, we gave it another try and ended up liking it, if not loving it. Looks like there will be a season 2 with a different locale and new ensemble cast.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:51 pm Another one of countless shows where we didn't get through the first episode. Maybe we should give it another shot?
Would it be too far off-topic to have you list your top 5 or 10 shows? The suspense is palpable and, well, suspense is relevant to a TV show thread, right? :)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Listing your favorite top 5 or 10 shows would be too far off-topic. If stoptothink wants to make a list, please start a new thread. Link to the new thread from here so members can find the list.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:50 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:02 am

Some mysteries are not about murder or abduction. The murder is often not depicted at all, there is no Hollywood-style blood and gore. The crimes are serious, but all of those shows are lighthearted with elements of comedy in the personal lives of the detectives and in the interactions among the detectives and supporting characters.I

Both my wife and I enjoyed them.
If you add up all the murders in Midsommer Murders, then you would probably have wiped out the village 2-3 times over.

My in-laws were devoted to this show. Also Death in Paradise.

Neither is disturbing in the way that even Sherlock was.

The prequel, Endeavour - about the young Inspector Morse - has everything to recommend it. Dark & psychological and good on the atmosphere and attitudes of Britain in the 1960s. Driven, irascible, tortured but dogged in pursuit of the truth.

I haven't caught up with either version of Wallender - the Kenneth Branagh one, or the Swedish original. But I have heard both are excellent.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

On old TV series we caught up with Ellery Queen's Mystery Movies (title?)

With the incomparable duo of the absent minded Ellery Queen and David Wayne as his father, NYPD Inspector Richard Queen. The interplay between those. Also the realisation of late 1940s NYC. (the attitudes about women, then, and the servile roles of non-white characters, are interesting to watch in retrospect - tv was a different world in the early 1970s).

John Hillerman forshadowing his role as Higgins in Magnum PI, as the rival radio host of The Case Book of Simon Brimmer.

And the actor who plays the tabloid journalist Flanagan.

It only lasted a year, and Hutton died at 49 of a cancer only detected weeks earlier -- a great loss to screen acting.

David Wayne played the chief scientist in The Andromeda Strain - I'll never forget the seen where the government agents appear at his door, with a party going on, and give him the codeword. In the age of Covid-19 there's something about The Andromeda Strain that seems so very modern.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:13 amThe prequel, Endeavour - about the young Inspector Morse - has everything to recommend it. Dark & psychological and good on the atmosphere and attitudes of Britain in the 1960s. Driven, irascible, tortured but dogged in pursuit of the truth.
As it happens, the first (of three) episodes on Season 8 (the final one) aired in the UK on Sunday. No idea when these episodes will make their way across the pond.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:59 pm

I am often wrong, but I don’t think I will be in saying that this is a show that repays hanging in a bit longer.
I don't know....part of me thinks that if you're turned off by the show it's not going to get better. It's not exactly plot driven after all. If you don't think it's funny, you're probably not going to start thinking it's funny after a few episodes.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

MAKsdad wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:40 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:59 pm

I don't know....part of me thinks that if you're turned off by the show it's not going to get better. It's not exactly plot driven after all. If you don't think it's funny, you're probably not going to start thinking it's funny after a few episodes.
My wife generally loves British humor (I do not), but she wasn't getting it at all (after a single episode).
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:44 am My wife generally loves British humor (I do not), but she wasn't getting it at all (after a single episode).
There’s plenty of room for disagreement, especially about humor. That’s what makes horse races. I seldom watch comedies of any sort, other than standup, but to me Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a treasure.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I've finished S1 and S2 of "The Fall". Set in Belfast, it has lead detective Gillian Anderson purusing a serial killer played by Jamie Dornan. It is one of those slow-burn series.

GA's character seems overly sexualized (including unapologetically forward in professional settings) for a senior police officer and has been been distracting. It makes her a "complex" character, however, and that apparently is the intent, as Dornan's character is also complex.

So far, I'd give the series an OK-to-Good rating and is best for those who are fans of the actors or who otherwise just like to see the breadth and variety of British crime dramas. There's only one more season and I will be watching that.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I finished the third and final season of "The Fall". It was awful. I think the technical term is "a hot mess".

Finished the first four episodes of "Le Bureau des Legendes" (French with English subtitles). Excellent production values and good intro to the French spy agency. But it's taking a while for the storylines to set up. I'm hoping some drama happens soon.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Pixafari wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:50 am Heartland on Netflix - positive family show based on a horse ranch in Alberta, Canada. My wife loves it and I have enjoyed as well. It’s in its 15th season this year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartland ... TV_series)
Neither here nor there really, but my wife loved to watch that show when we were living in Canada. I suppose I enjoyed it too. After about Season 8 though, we sorta gave up on it because it just seemed to be a bit too repetitive.

I think the show is on Hulu as well—it seems to come and go, but it is still shows up on our watch feed list last time I checked.

Lastly, if you are really into the show, I can probably give you directions to the ranch where the outdoor scenes are filmed. It is a bit off the beaten path, but it isn’t very far from Calgary.